Wolf Bound

By Loutka

[UNEDITED] Genesis Anderson knew fairy tales with happy endings didn't exist but that never made her feel ind... More

Wolf Bound
Chapter 1: Black Eyes
Chapter 2: Accusations
Chapter 3: The Wolf Within
Chapter 4: To Live Is To Escape
Chapter 5: Vincent's Crown
Chapter 6: Outcasts Like Us
Chapter 7: Test of Loyalty
Chapter 8: The Body in The Woods
Chapter 9: Bittersweet
Chapter 10: Amaury's Wolf
Chapter 11: Little Pig, Little Pig
Chapter 12: Let Me In
Chapter 13: Blank Space
Chapter 14: Wolf In Sheep's Clothing
Chapter 15: Trail of Shadows
Chapter 16: Company
Chapter 17: Revelations
Chapter 18: Forgive Not Forget
Chapter 19: Closer Than You Think
Chapter 20: Playing With Knives
Chapter 21: Control
Chapter 22: Someone's Watching
Chapter 23: Big Bad Wolf
Chapter 24: Home Sweet Home
Chapter 25: Void
Chapter 26: The Lone Wolf's Tale Pt. 1
Chapter 27: The Lone Wolf's Tale Pt. 2
Chapter 28: Chase
Chapter 29: The Tunnel
Chapter 30: Distractions
Chapter 31: Grimfur
Chapter 32: The Mating Process
Chapter 33: A Welcome Feast
Chapter 34: Black Magic
Chapter 35: Nothing Left to Hide
Chapter 36: Friend or Foe
Chapter 37: Gratitude Pt. 1
Chapter 38: Gratitude Pt. 2
Chapter 39: Vanished
Chapter 40: The Beast in Disguise
Chapter 41: Mommy Dearest
Chapter 42: The Truth
Chapter 44: Fate
Vincent - Accusations
Vincent - Little Pig + Let Me In
Vincent - Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Vincent - Void

Chapter 43: Blood For Blood

937 91 20
By Loutka

I couldn't fathom the tension building up between the two men who had their guards up. Bennett was the focal point of Vincent's attention. He was on high alert, waiting for Bennett to possibly make a run for it as Bennett sat, staring into the distance, on a nearby rock. But Bennett remained motionless and quiet. I'd have honestly thought he was dead. Really though, he probably knew Vincent wouldn't hesitate to hurt him the next time—if given the opportunity.

I tried to make myself comfortable on the ground for the time being; with my back against a tree, and my ankle leveled out in front of me. That, however, didn't work as much as I'd have hoped. I'd clench my eyes and hiss whenever a breeze touched my skin.

Vincent frowned at me, a sigh already stirring in his chest. I already knew what he was going to say. The four of us had formulated a plan. Amaury, Vincent, Bennett, and myself. Vincent and Bennett were the distraction. Amaury and I were the purpose. He'd been sulking about my decision to go since we walked back down the mountain. But the fact of the matter was, we needed Amaury. And I was the only one who could get in contact with him as I pleased.

Vincent shook his head and walked towards me, stooping to my level. My body tensed when he lifted my ankle. Gently, he rotated it side to side. Then, the sigh I'd been awaiting came out. His frown deepened as he placed my ankle back on the ground. He mumbled, "Genesis, I still do not feel comfortable with you putting yourself in danger again."

"You need me. Remember?" I nudged his hand with a small smile. Bennett snuck a peek at us through his peripheral view. But he quickly averted eye contact when our eyes met. He stared into space again. This time, with a frown on his face. That was the remorse he had to live with.

Vincent sighed again, before muttering, "Unfortunately." He looked over at Bennett again, whilst standing back up straight. "So, the cottage is a little ways through these trees?"

"Correct," answered Bennett, his voice low. "We should start moving out. The new moon is beginning to rise, and you're going to need that if you want to cast the reversal spell."

His words caused me to look up. It hadn't dawned on me that darkness was beginning to settle in above us. It couldn't have been that late in the day. When I left Calamitous, it had just reached the afternoon. But it was December, after all. The skies were expected to dim earlier in the day.

"What do you mean?" Vincent folded his arms.

Bennet turned his head again, the most distant look in his eyes. "Tonight's new moon is what my mother has been preparing for this month. It is the only way she's able to cast her spells."

"Of course." Amaury's voice filled my head. "Whatever spell she used must have had specific limitations and specific requirements. Like needing to be cast under the new moon."

"And you've been helping her with that as well?" When Bennett didn't answer, Vincent muttered, "So, that's why you disappeared."

Bennett, ignoring his comment, continued, "There is a huge possibility that she'll be expecting us already. We need to be prepared in case that happens."

"Well, the three of us have made it this far without complications. If she's expecting us, then it's probably another ambush. She's inviting us in," Vincent responded.

"Guess it's time for round two then." I sighed and staggered to my feet. "More than likely, there are shadows running rampant around the cottage. The ones I saw earlier, and maybe more."

"You are correct, Genesis"—Bennett finally stood to join us—"which is exactly why you need to be on the lookout for them and any Erebus wolves while sneaking in. We can take on my mother and stall her focus for long enough. But they'll be roaming freely. If they catch you, they'll alert her. Then, we'll have a bigger issue on our hands."

"He's right," Amaury chimed in, "they're following her command. So, you must stay out of their line of sight and her line of sight. She'll be on the lookout for you, I'm sure."

"Avoid getting caught by everything that wants to kill me. Got it," I huffed.

"We go in. We find the spell that'll reverse this mess. Then, we bound the shadows back to their world for good," Amaury said, determined, "I'd imagine she would have bound the cottage in protection spells before carrying out the black magic. It'd have been risky of her not to. Say if the spells went wrong, or if she was unable to control the shadows after bringing them here—"

"It could have backfired on her," I said.

"Exactly."

"What could have backfired?" Bennett asked.

"Nothing." I waved him off. "Say Bennett, do you know where the spell book is hidden?"

He stroked his chin. "Last I saw she was setting the book up in the main living area."

"So, check the main living area. Okay," I hummed.

"Genesis, you will need to head around the back of the cottage. There is an entrance you can get in through. It's a bulkhead door leading to the basement. Come up to the main floor there."

I limped towards Bennett. "Is the door unlocked?"

"It should be. If it isn't, that means she placed the lock back on it. Break the lock with your hands or a rock or whatever if you must. Hopefully, you have the strength for the task."

Vincent nodded, adding, "Then, it's best that we try to keep your mother bound to the front perimeter. We'll try our best to occupy whatever else is in the area. But once you find your way in, you're on your own from there. The others should be right behind us. They'll find their way."

"Bennett, do you think my glasses are still there?"

"Your glasses?" One of his eyebrows curled up.

"Mhm. Somewhere near the cottage where I took off. I think they fell in the area. I can't perform spells if I can't see. Amaury can only see if I can see . . . or so, I think."

"If they fell, then they should be lying somewhere on the ground. Your bag may still be there too. We'll head that way then and retrieve them along the way. Are we ready to go?"

"Wait." Vincent's hand clasped around my arm as I went to move. His throat was bobbing as his eyes searched mine. "Amaury . . . can I trust that you'll watch over her?"

"Repeat these words to him," Amaury stated, calmly.

"I swear on my soul," were the words I repeated.

I was unable to read the emotion on Vincent's face. But I understood when he let go and reached for my hand. His palm was warm as he laced our fingers together for comfort.

"Are you sure you'll be okay?" he whispered.

"In and out. I promise." I squeezed his hand.

Those words followed me to the cottage territory until I was carrying them in my heart, and relying on them for strength as I prayed I'd make it out unscathed.

We were back in no man's land; with the rotten black trees and the dark gray skies. Though, the gray had darkened so much the skies looked like a dark plum purple. Thanks to the new moon, I assumed, mixed with the night sky approaching. The dreadful silence was just as loud as before, and the soft whispers were just as hard to tune out. But I couldn't see the shadows.

The trees were our shield. Vincent and Bennett were light on their paws, weaving through them with ease. I was crouched behind them—the only one barefooted and in human form, covered in a natural odor again. I hated the icky feeling but I couldn't shift again. I'd already pushed my body too far, and I needed to be in human form to perform the spells anyway.

Bennett stopped and stared at the cottage ahead. Vincent and I followed suit. Sophia was in the area. Her scent lingered. As I sniffed, I heard a soft grunt from Vincent.

"What is it?" I whispered, moving closer to him.

He nudged my arm with his snout. Then, he gestured ahead. My eyes immediately found what he'd been pointing to, and I sucked in a breath.

My glasses.

Even while camouflaging in the dirt, I could make out the clear lenses facing us. All I needed to do was take a few steps forward and grab them. But could I do it? The coast was clear.

I put my right leg out first. Before my left leg could follow, there was a yank on my cloak. I covered my mouth so as to not yelp aloud, then looked at Vincent. His teeth were still digging into my cloak. But he was shaking his head. Bennett made a noise—something I interpreted as him telling me to look around thanks to his head movement. Oh. We were surrounded.

"Shit," I hissed under my breath.

The shadows lay in wait in the darkest parts of the trees again. Could they see us? Sense us, perhaps? They weren't attacking so I didn't think our cover was blown yet. Was it possible they recognized Bennett? I'd once thought maybe they were only allowed to attack on command.

After all, they hadn't attacked the first time I was here. Not even after I ran. Bennett and the Erebus wolves were the only ones to follow. Did that mean she hadn't sent them after me? But she'd sent all the others over the past few months? It was hard to tell. Hell, it didn't matter either. Because I surely didn't care to test how much control she had over these things.

A soft thud in the distance distracted us for a brief moment. It was the entrance door closing behind Sophia as she exited the cottage. She sauntered to the middle of the open area and came to a stop. Her eyes passed over every single shadow, then every single tree. A noise, that resembled a long and deep sigh, eased out of her parted lips as her eyes drifted closed.

"Oh Benny. . ." The disappointment in her tone was strong. "If you were going to turn your back on me, I wish you would have done so to my face. The knife hurts more this way." I tensed, looking at Bennett. Other than his eyes pinching shut, it was hard to gauge his reaction.

Sophia's eyes opened again. "Find them."

Her final command was the flare that sent things spiraling into chaos. The shadows rose from the trees like birds taking flight. Vincent's head swung around like a pendulum, knocking into me. I fell onto the hard soil and gasped. His actions hadn't made sense to me until I noticed he'd pushed me further behind one of the trees, blocking the shadows' view and her view.

He and Bennett fled in opposite directions, their wolves becoming mere blurs as they rustled through the trees. Their sudden movements attracted the shadows' attention before they could notice me too. But most importantly, they had Sophia's full attention. She was invested, watching to ensure both of them were caught. It was the perfect distraction—for now.

"This is your chance." I heard Amaury's voice. "They're giving you an opportunity to get a headstart. Take it," he urged.

Right. Chances were she hadn't smelled me yet. Which meant she had no idea where I was hiding. But I knew not to underestimate her. She probably knew I was here, and had been waiting for me to pop out. She'd spot me soon enough if the shadows didn't find me first.

So, I took my chance.

My glasses were my first priority; my knees scraping along broken twigs and rocks littered across the ground, as I quickly crawled out of my hiding spot, scrambling to grab them. I tucked myself back into my hiding with a split second to spare. Any later, and I'd have been caught. I fixed my glasses on my nose, then stumbled to my feet and made a run for it—which probably looked like more of a sped up jog with my busted body.

My breathing was loudest in my head, my footsteps echoing in my ears. Could she hear me running? There was so much noise and so much happening, I wasn't sure she could. Every time her eyes shifted in my direction, I took cover behind one of the nearest trees. I tried my best to tune out the wild thump in my heart; its presence reminded me how afraid I was. I was surprised I hadn't collapsed. Maybe it was the adrenaline . . . or not wanting to die.

Vincent's well-being was at the forefront of my mind. I fought the urge to turn my head and make sure he was okay. As strong as it was, looking back would do me no good.

"Bulkhead door up ahead," Amaury announced.

"Yes," I cheered through gritted teeth, my voice a soft whisper. I hurried to the door and kneeled in front of it. But my stomach sank. Shit. The door was bolted.

"Genesis, you may want to hurry. There is a shadow creeping over the cottage roof to your right." Just then, I noticed it. There was a subtle tickle in my spine. I panicked and threaded my fingers through the grass, searching for the nearest possible weapon.

"Come on, come on," I squealed.

"Rock! Grab the rock!" Amaury shouted.

The rock in question was just beside the bulkhead doors. I stretched my arm to grab it. Three loud clinks later, the lock fell off the doors. A single (lit) lightbulb welcomed me when I jumped into the basement, closing the doors behind me.

"Holy shit, I'm alive. . ." I touched myself just to be sure.

"Get upstairs. Quickly." Amaury wasted no time.

"Right." The initial shock wore off, replaced by determination.

I inhaled, then headed for the basement door leading upstairs. Sophia's voice seeped in from the outside, "Hiding won't work! You should know that, Benny!" Good. She was still occupied.

I gulped and tip-toed through the hallway. The walls were coated in light grays from top to bottom, all the way to the main living area. Warmth clouded the small interior, the culprit a small fireplace that'd been lit for who knows how long? Probably a while. Shelves of containers and jars that were labeled stood neatly around the room. And in the middle—the book!

I gasped. "Amaury, look."

The book lay open in front of a single lit black candle.

"My spellbook," he said, breathing in.

"Okay, what do I do?" My voice was low.

"Look to see what page the book is opened to," he instructed.

A detailed drawing of a black misty creature was the first thing I saw upon approaching the book. A shadow—there was no doubt about it.

"Shadows Rising. . ." I read the title.

That was the header of the page; written in bold, black, cursive letters.

"That must be the spell," Amaury said.

"Is this the spell I need to perform?"

"No, you must find the reversal. Check the back of the page."

I followed his directions.

"There."

I paused.

Smaller words littered the page in an almost poetry-like format down the middle. At the very bottom, there was a small section that started with the word note, then proceeded to list items.

"These are the instructions telling you how the spell operates and how to cast the spell. See that list at the bottom?" Amaury said.

I checked the window, ensuring Sophia hadn't noticed me yet, then nodded.

"You will need to gather those required ingredients," he continued.

"What? What if she doesn't have all the ingredients!?"

"She will. For she cannot cast a spell without them."

"Okay, okay," I mumbled, squinting at the page, "what does this say?"

"The fang of an ancestor, twine binding rope, and wolf fur. Check the shelves."

I released a shaky breath, crouching towards the nearest bookshelf first. My eager nerves fogged my brain as I sifted through each shelf, trying to keep the noise to a minimum. She'd set the jars so close, it was hard to move them without them clinking together. Where the hell were all of these ingredients? I didn't have time to look through everything.

I stressed, "Amaury, your help is needed very much right now."

"Give me a second. I'm looking," he said, calmly. "Ancestor fang top right. Wolf fur lower left. Twine binding rope right in front of you." Damn, that was fast.

I snuck a peek at Sophia again, then gathered the items in that order.

The twine binding rope was a thin brown string that felt rough and had a yarn-like texture. The ancestor's fang was a long, sharp tooth losing its pigment. It looked as though it had been taken from the mouth of an older wolf shifter—the name made more sense now. Lastly, the wolf fur was pretty self-explanatory. A thick black piece of fur, probably torn from a wolf's body.

"Is anything else listed on the page besides the spell?" asked Amaury.

"Um. . ." I limped back to the book, scanning the page. "Blood for blood?"

"Blood for blood?" Amaury sounded genuinely confused.

"That's what it says." Why so damn cryptic?

Amaury sucked in a sharp breath. "Your blood."

"Excuse me?" My lips parted.

"Blood from the one casting the spell is required."

"I have to cut myself?" I nearly screeched.

"No, no," Amaury said, probably shaking his head, "a prick will do. You must find something sharp to prick your finger, then allow the magic to consume your blood."

Gosh, that sounded horrible. But I relented. She must have had something sharp around here. A knife. A pair of scissors. Anything. As the thought plagued my mind, my focus shifted to a needle and thread laying out on a nearby table. The needle. That'd have to do.

I hurried to snatch it off the table, rushing back to the book.

"Here's to hoping I don't catch anything from this." I cringed.

"We are ready."

"Wait! What am I supposed to do with these?" I pointed to the objects.

"The spell is telling you what to do. Twine is usually used to wrap around the objects. You are tying knots, essentially. So, repeat the first line, then tie the twine around the object mentioned. Repeat the second line, then tie the twine around that as well.

"You will continue doing what it says. It is more simple than it looks, really. Take a deep breath, Genesis. The spell won't work unless you clear your mind and relax. You have to concentrate when you're repeating the words from the book."

"Okay, okay. . ." I shut my eyes, slapping my cheeks gently. "I'm ready."

"I will help you. Repeat after me," he said.

"A tooth to pierce the shadow's veil. . ."

Twice, I wrapped the twine around the fang in knots.

"Bound to fur cut from an enemy's tail. . ."

I flattened the fur on the fang as I wrapped more twine around them both.

"Twine to bind and blood run thick. . ."

I pricked my finger with the sharp tip of the needle.

"Causing invisible bonds to stick! Creatures of darkness, heed my call! Your presence is at an end. So mote it below as it is above, bind the shadows as my will intends!"

I held my finger over the binded items, my blood dripping in small doses as I chanted those words. The candle's flame glowed brighter and longer. It seemed to be reacting to the spell. The fireplace flickered, a cool draft passing through the cottage. My blood turning black as it spread along the fang rendered me speechless. It stretched like veins, outlining the indents in the fang.

I wasn't done yet though. The spell required the words be chanted seven times.

"Heads up: Angry woman noticed you."

My eyes flickered to the window, a pit forming in my stomach as I saw Sophia stomping in this direction. Her teeth were bared at me, the sharp canines chill-inducing. She'd finally noticed.

"Oh, fuck." My eyes bulged. "But I was doing so good!"

"The scent of your blood."

"What?"

"She probably smelled the scent of your blood," Amaury swore under his breath. "The bookshelf beside the door! Push it with all your might. Make sure you block the door with it."

"She's a wolf! That won't hold her!"

"I know. But it buys you a little bit of time. You have to finish the spell."

I groaned but yet again followed his directions.

"Genesis, you need to move faster."

"Shut up! You're not helping!" I squeaked.

What should have been an easy job with my strength, felt like the hardest thing I'd ever done in my life. My body was much too weak for this. Still, I gave it my all and pushed.

"Tell that to the angry woman storming over here."

"Amaury!" I growled.

"You wretched girl!" she screamed.

The bookshelf falling echoed the walls of the cottage. I scrambled back, nearly tripping over my feet. She jiggled the doorknob to no avail. I could then hear pounding from the other side. Either she was banging or she was ramming her shoulder into the door. She could've been trying to kick the door down, for all I knew. My shoulders jumped.

"I should've killed you myself when I had the chance!"

A scream barreled out of me when the glass shattered on the window. Something hard hit the floor, gray and thick. "She just threw a rock through the window!" I freaked out.

"She's trying to get in at all costs, and her wolf may be next. Finish the spell."

My chest rose and fell as I crawled back to the book, ignoring the pain surging through me. Tremors spread through my veins like a wildfire losing control within me. I could hardly breathe let alone focus. The new moon shadowed a portion of the sky, casting its little bit of light through the windows.

I chanted the spell again, "A tooth to cut the shadow's veil, Bound to fur cut from an enemy's tail, Twine to bind and blood runs thick, Causing invisible bonds to stick—" Her persistent ruckus distracted me yet again.

"You're doing good, Genesis. Don't stop," Amaury wooed me.

I clenched my eyes.

"Creatures of darkness, heed my call! Your presence here is at an end! So mote it below as it is above, bind the shadows as my will intends," I repeated the spell again and again. The fireplace went out as the wind picked up around me. My throat constricted, its walls pulling and pushing away from each other. I clawed at my chest as I struggled to breathe.

"A-Amaury. . ." I choked out. But I couldn't hear him. The shadows' whispers pooled around me; spinning like a tornado in my head as they were all I could hear. I covered my ears and gritted my teeth. A soft rumbling shook the cottage to its core. Darkness shielded the windows.

"No!" The final thing I heard—from Sophia's mouth—as the door caved in, and her body tumbled into the cottage. The candle's flame was no more, and a force sent my body flying back.

Then, there was silence.

***

I'd like to give a HUGE shoutout to ajArnault and Alix from the duo HicksScribbles for helping me with this chapter. AJ is the creator of that amazing original spell that Genesis cast! She came up with it herself so all credit goes to her. Alix was the brains behind the ingredients used to cast said spell, and the one who came up with the new moon idea!

Had it not been for them, I don't think I'd have ever finished this chapter lol. They deserve all the praise! And go check them out while you're at it! They write some amazing books themselves.

ONE MORE chapter to go!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

145K 7.7K 41
• Completed • • Highest Ranking #2 Paranormal October 2020 • • Highest Ranking #4 Romance October 2020 • • Highest Ranking #1 Matebond April 2021...
73.5K 3.9K 69
[BOOK #2 OF THE AWARD-WINNING EPSILON SERIES!] ❝I hate him. He's crude. Arrogant. Vile. I hate him so much that sometimes, when I look at him, I can...
2.1K 298 31
Get ready for a thrilling ride with Ivy Myers as she moves to a small town to live with her mother. Little does she know that her life is about to ta...
85.1K 2.7K 41
They both have broken pasts that used to shine with the love they felt, now though now it is different the only thing they feel is pain, sadness, and...