Different

By idksomethingnotlame

Claire Lupin has always been different. It was an almost inexplicable difference, but it was always there. An... More

prologue
dementors
hippogriffs
potions
tea
falling
fights
stories
explanations
christmas
traitor
dungbombs
slaps
shrieking shack
understanding
lyall
birthdays
premonitions
light
reunions
voices
professor moody
dreams
waking up
goblets
panic attacks
intrusive thoughts (!)
duels
Visits
Curses
dances
Black Lake
graveyards (!)
breakups
midnight runs
bleeding eyes
presents
birthdays
invisible
quidditch
concussions
breakouts
fights
snakes
christmas
found
hallways
mother dearest
brothers
suffering
vows
home
poetry
amortentia
revelations
necklace
threats
fear
safe house
found you
fixing wardrobes
potions
concussions
mother's love
chocolate
constellations
parties
Astronomy Tower
hospital wing
tension
packing
heightened emotions
legal age
family quidditch
blood loss
weddings

partnerships

248 9 1
By idksomethingnotlame

"I'm skipping my classes today," Claire announced. It had been a week since the first task, and she was finally feeling better, but she still would wake up after a bad dream with a splitting headache and a nose bleed. Daphne would sometimes be awake when she would get up to clean herself up, and Claire was surprised that the other students didn't know what was happening yet.

"You've barely gone to any classes all week," Blaise said with a snort. The four Slytherins were draped over one of the couches with Claire in the corner, her legs tucked into her chest to make herself as small as possible. Theo and Blaise were taking up the most space while Draco was sitting like a normal person, although he was relaxed.

"I haven't felt well," Claire responded. Professor Dumbledore had allowed her to take some time off from classes, but her excuse was up. He also wanted to know exactly what she was seeing. But Claire had been reading her mother's journal and she was very clear: only tell people that you trust. Therefore, Claire had only told her dad everything. She couldn't even trust Leo. It was obvious the professor was getting upset with her, but she had a bad feeling about telling him. The only other people she had spent time with were Harry and Hermione since they had to tell her all about how Harry made it past the dragon to get the Golden Egg, which just screamed once it was open.

"Professor Moody is acting weird about you being gone so much," Theo added.

"He keeps looking around and asking Potter where you are," Blaise explained.

"I hate his class," Claire said with a shudder. Even the thought of having to sit in his class made her weak.

"Let's go to Hogsmeade," Draco said randomly. The other three sent him a look before the two boys burst out laughing. "I'm not joking. I want to go."

"Draco, your dad would be too upset," Claire argued. "He was already so upset the last time we skipped classes."

"He'll get over himself," Draco shrugged.

"No he won't," Blaise snorted, but he made no other effort to dissuade his friend.

"I do need more chocolate frogs and I got my allowance last week," Claire murmured. Sirius had found a loophole that allowed Remus to get small amounts from his Gringotts vault, which meant that Remus had started sending Claire money every month, even if it wasn't a lot.

"Let's go," Draco decided, a small smile on his face. Claire hesitated before nodding.

"Let me go get my jacket," Claire said, running up to get Sirius' leather jacket. By the time she got back the others had gone to class and Draco was the only one waiting.

"Are you ready?" Draco asked, holding out his arm. Claire bit the inside of her cheek as she looped her arm with his, although it only lasted until they reached the exit of the common room.

"This way," Claire told Draco. They were able to escape being noticed since the other students were on their way to class. Claire made eye contact with Hermione, who tried to wave her over since they were going to the same class. Instead, Claire grabbed Draco's arm and pulled him into the next hallway. Hermione would probably tell Harry and Ron, seeing as they were all friends again after the first task.

"Potter is going to be mad," Draco sang. Claire huffed and looked both ways, wishing she had the Marauder's Map to guide her. She could only barely remember how to get out through the secret passage. Draco stayed close to her as they pushed past students before they finally reached the statue. Claire whispered the password and they were escaping down the dark passage in no time.

"Why did you want to skip classes?" Claire asked. It was a long walk and she was trying to not make it awkward. Blaise and Theo kept teasing the two of them, which meant they hadn't been spending a lot of time with the other person.

"I wanted to spend time with you," Draco admitted sheepishly. "I'm sorry about the gits. I keep telling them to stop but they refuse to listen."

"They're annoying," Claire laughed, although she felt very awkward. She was glad it was dark and that Draco was behind her because he couldn't see her blush. "They don't know anything. It's not like we actually like each other."

Draco was silent behind her for a moment and she felt like throwing up. In reality, she didn't know how to feel about Draco, especially since Leo kept invading her mind.

"Yeah, you're just my friend," Draco finally agreed. And now the silence was awkward.

They only made occasional comment to each other as they made their way through the passage. They finally made their way into Honeydukes, only having to sneak past one employee until they were able to blend in with the crowd. Luckily, neither one of them had anything on that made it obvious they were from Hogwarts, so most people didn't pay them any attention. Claire got enough chocolate to last her at least two months, especially since her period was coming up and chocolate was the only thing that made her happy.

"I got it," Draco said once they made it to the register. He didn't give Claire time to argue before he put the money down.

"I have money too," Claire reminded him. "Thank you. I do appreciate it. But I can pay for myself."

"I never said you couldn't," Draco chuckled as he opened the door for her, carrying their bags as well. Claire tried to grab her bag as she left the store, but Draco moved it before she could. Claire made another move but he held it over his head, making them both laugh.

"You are so-"

"So what?"

Draco and Claire both stopped laughing, their faces falling as they looked to see Leo leaning against the wall as if he had been waiting for them.

"Go away, Leo," Claire snapped. The boy hated when she spent time with Draco, and he would find excuses to interrupt them or he would constantly talk in her head until she would have to excuse herself because it was causing a headache. She was grateful for his help at the first task, but she felt like she was relying on him too much.

"I just came down to Hogsmeade for a butterbeer, but instead I find my friends," Leo said sarcastically. "C'mon."

Leo wrapped his arms around their shoulders and guided them into Madam Rosmerta's tavern.

"Let me go," Draco grunted, shoving Leo's arm off of him as they entered. Leo smirked and guided them into a booth.

"I'm sure you two are so excited to be missing Hagrid's class," Leo said, acting as if he hadn't interrupted them. Claire and Draco were across from him, sitting as far apart as they could go. Claire and Draco were both glaring at Leo, who was looking at the menu. "Malfoy, I'll need you to cover the tab. I seem to have forgotten my wallet."

Draco scoffed and went to stand up but Leo sent him a look that made Claire's skin crawl. Draco sat down with his famous scowl prominent on his face.

"You're lucky I found you two," Leo continued as if he hadn't just scared both the teens. "Rita Skeeter will be here later after her interview with Hagrid. She is horrid to talk to, and she'll probably want to interview the both of you because of Harry. But she hates me so you don't have to worry...Although, Professor Dumbledore is going to be upset. He hates when students sneak out."

"Then maybe you should go back," Claire huffed.

"I'm not technically a student," Leo smirked.

"And you're not in charge of us," Draco sneered. "I'm leaving."

"Me too," Claire murmured. Leo glared at them as they stood up and lightly grabbed Claire's hand, his face softening when she turned to glare at him. Claire hesitated before sighing and sitting down. "You get one minute."

Draco hesitated before making his way to stand by the door to wait for her.

"It's not safe for you to be alone with the Ministry workers here," Leo hissed. "And something is off with Moody. You need to-"

"Stay away from him," Claire interrupted. "That's all I hear now. I can't be around anyone anymore. And if you're not careful I won't be around you either."

Leo just tensed his jaw and leaned back, crossing his arms over his chest.

"I'm just trying to keep you safe," Leo explained.

"I can keep myself safe," Claire reminded him, a force behind her voice that she didn't know was possible. Of course, as soon as she stood up and turned to leave she got another glimpse of the graveyard, which made her stumble into the table next to her.

"Sure you can," Leo said, sarcasm coating his voice. Claire sent him what she hoped was a scary glare and then made her way to Draco, who opened the door to escape as soon as she was close enough.

"I guess our day is ruined," Draco sighed. Claire nodded sadly but then Draco touched the small of her back as he had to move behind her to let someone else walk by. Claire's frown turned into a smile as a vision made its way into her head at the touch. This vision was different than the others because it made her feel warm and happy.

"I know where we can go," Claire said happily. She had never been to this place before, but they made their way back onto the grounds through the Forbidden Forest.

"Are you trying to kill me?" Draco teasingly asked. The trees were so dense that they could barely see the sun but they could faintly see the castle in the distance, and it was getting closer.

"Aw, you weren't supposed to guess that," Claire giggled. Draco smiled brightly at the sound and pushed back a branch for her. The two walked for only a few minutes more until they reached a clearing. It was further back in the forest than either of them had ever gone before, but it was close enough to the castle that they could come out there whenever they wanted for some privacy. The Black Lake was in front of them and an old structure was standing just enough to provide cover from the sun and rain. The vines wrapped around it showed promise of flowers in the spring.

"It's beautiful," Draco noted. Claire nodded in agreement and expertly made her way over to a tree where a small swing was hanging. And as she swung and laughed with Draco, skipping rocks and making dares, Claire finally felt happy.

She just hoped it would last.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Leo predicted, Rita Skeeter did her interviews and Hagrid did not look good in them. She made him out to be an idiot who bred the Skrewts illegally, which he probably did.

"I hate that woman," Harry spat. He had just come from comforting Hagrid, who wasn't as concerned as the teens thought he should be.

"Let's skip dinner and go to the kitchen," Claire suggested. A quick glance at the Maurader's Map showed them that the coast was clear, so they snuck into the kitchens.

"You need to stop skipping, especially with Malfoy," Harry lectured her as they walked.

"How did you know I was with Malfoy?" Claire asked, teasing Harry with how he said the name.

"Hermione saw you two and Leo told me," Harry replied. Claire rolled her eyes and didn't respond. Draco and Claire had both already gotten letters from their parents reprimanding them, and they both had detention for two weeks. Leo apparently went straight to Dumbledore, and he had enlisted Professor Snape to keep an eye on them.

As soon as they entered the kitchen, their awkward silence was broken.

"Harry Potter, sir!"

"Claire."

Harry and Claire glanced at each other and then sighed as they separated. Harry was happy reunited with a House Elf she assumed to be Dobby while Cedric had apparently followed them to the kitchens.

"I saw you sneak in here," Cedric explained as he sat down at a nearby table.

"We just wanted some quiet," Claire explained shyly.

"Yeah, I get that," Cedric said with a sad chuckle. His face contorted for a second and he cleared his throat. "At the first task, you told me what was going to happen."

"I was just guessing," Claire lied. Her hands tightly gripped a cup as soon as a House self gave it to her, and she barely mumbled a thanks as she looked away.

"My whole family is full of wizards," Cedric continued. "But I've never met a seer before."

"And you still haven't," Claire spat out with more force than she meant to. Cedric looked surprised and just nods. He doesn't respond and it cloaks them in awkwardness.

"I just-" Cedric finally started, sighing a little. "I need help. Professor Dumbledore isn't going to help me like the other headmasters. If you help me, I'll give you a quarter of my winnings."

"And if you lose?" Claire asked softly.

"Then I don't tell anyone and I owe you in the future," Cedric shrugged.

"Well, I can't help you," Claire said softly. "I'm not a seer. I just was sick that day."

"I know that's not true," Cedric said quietly, glancing over at Harry and the house elves, but no one was paying them any attention. "Please. I'll do in Unbreakable Vow."

Claire accidentally spilled some water and a sudden glimpse of Cedric helping a soaking wet Cho Chang out a lake filled her mind.

"That's the face you make," Cedric exclaimed suddenly. "You made it at the first task and a few other times."

"I'm not a seer," Claire insisted. "But I'd say you need to brush up on your swimming skills."

Cedric looked so excited, almost like a puppy. Claire bit the inside of her cheek, which was already raw and painful.

"You won't regret this!" Cedric promised, almost running out of the room.

"What did he want?" Harry asked, replacing Cedric. Claire jumped a little, forgetting he was there.

"I don't wanna talk about it," Claire mumbled. Harry nodded in agreement.

So much for a relaxing dinner.

—————————————————————————

"I wonder what I'll wear to the ball," Hermione sighed as she fell into a chair in the Gryffindor common room. Claire was a lot more graceful as she sat down. The professors had just told them about the Yule Ball that they would be having and the whole school was freaking out.

"I hope someone asks me," Ginny said wistfully. "That was I can go."

"I probably won't go," Claire shrugged. The other two looked at her like she was crazy. "Look around. I'm not exactly the most popular person here."

Sure enough, most of the Gryffindors were glaring at her as if she didn't spend most of her time in their common room.

"But you'll miss out on so much fun," Hermione argued.

"Balls aren't exactly my thing," Claire shrugged. She was known to run into tables that had been there for years, so she wasn't exactly graceful. Her joking smile turned into a frown when Leo walked into the common room, his eyes immediately locking onto hers.

"Let's talk," Leo said as a greeting. Claire had been ignoring him since Hogsmeade, but he knew that Hermione and Ginny would make her go. Sure enough, they sent her an encouraging look.

"Fine," Claire snapped.

"Don't let the door hit you on the way out!" A seventh year yelled when he saw her leave. Claire blushed and ducked her head, gasping when the boys head was suddenly on fire, not enough to burn him but enough that he suddenly had no hair. Leo smirked and held the door open for Claire.

"That was unnecessary," Claire argued.

"I disagree," Leo replied. Claire huffed and ignored him until they reached the Black Lake. She sat as far away from his as she could. "I know you're mad at me. I interrupted your date and-"

"It wasn't a date," Claire interrupted, her eyebrows furrowed in anger.

"Sure," Leo replied. The smile on his face almost made Claire forget why she was mad. "Look, your dad and Sirius and Dumbledore are on my ass about keeping you safe. And after the first task... I thought you were going to die. You know the rumors about the Malfoy family. I just... you're special to me and- I can't... I don't know-"

Claire had never seen Leo not have the words. He always knew what to say and now he was rambling like an idiot.

"I forgive you," Claire assured him. He immediately looked so happy and his smile was contagious. He was under almost as much stress as she was.

"I know you probably don't want to go," Leo started. He hesitated and cleared his throat and then continued. "I was wondering if you wanted to go to the Yule Ball with me."

Claire knew she looked stupid. Her mouth was wide open and her eyes felt even wider. She was literally speechless. All confidence seemed to have left Leo's body.

"I- yes," Claire finally spat out. Leo grinned and scooted to hug her. It was awkward now, and Claire hated it, but she couldn't deny the butterflies she felt. Leo pulled away and looked in her eyes. His gaze was so intense that her breath caught in her throat.

But then he was leaning in.

"Will you be my girlfriend?" Leo whispered, his face so close to hers that she could see that his eyes were a lot lighter than they seemed.

"I- Leo... I would really like that," Claire agreed. Leo grinned and went to connect their lips but she turned her head and his lips connected with her braid. She wrapped her arms around him so it wasn't as awkward.

"I guess I should walk you to your dorm now," Leo said awkwardly. Claire had never seen him like this before. She just nodded and let him grab her hand, which was way too small for his hands. They were mostly silent as they walked up, and of course they had to run into Draco when they reached the door.

"I'll see you tomorrow, love," Leo whispered just loud enough that Draco could hear. Claire grinned and gave his cheek a small peck that made him blush. Leo returned the favor and then walked off, an extra bounce in his step.

Claire turned to greet Draco, but he had already stormed off.

And now she was more confused than ever.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

101K 3K 45
"Y/n, I will always be here for you." "Promise?" "I promise." ~*𓃦*~ Going to Hogwarts was something Y/n Black had been looking forward to her ent...
461 8 9
Place: England I'm not gonna be writing anything to do with school or seasons cause I don't know anything about those things in England. In an alter...
3.4M 118K 65
[ EDITING] James Potter was a skilled and talented wizard, his name a renowned one amongst Hogwarts students. Many knew him because of...
412K 14.8K 36
⠀ ❝ And in the back of her mind, Katie knew that her words were a lie. Because if her nightmares could creep up into her mind and become her realit...