Project 404 [DNF]

By _imgonenow_

"No way in hell! I'm not kidnapping an innocent college student!" Dream exclaimed and he heard Sapnap agreein... More

Chapter 1: Freedom
Chapter 2: Roommate
Chapter 3: Ticket to hell
Chapter 4: Decisions
Chapter 5: Trapped
Chapter 6: Lab rat
Chapter 7: Bill Bergson
Chapter 8: Truth
Chapter 9: Changes
Chapter 10: Escape
Chapter 11: Empathy
Chapter 12: University
Chapter 13: Wilbur
Chapter 14: Reunited
Chapter 15: Cars
Chapter 16: Unconditional love
Chapter 17: Hotel
Chapter 18: Yamaha YZF-R6
Chapter 19: Mr. Davidson
Chapter 20: Followed
Chapter 21: Switch
Chapter 22: Cyanide
Chapter 23: Family
Chapter 24: Caged
Chapter 25: Mission Impossible
Chapter 26: Hallucinations
Chapter 28: Déjà vu
Chapter 29: Plushie
Chapter 30: Technoblade
Chapter 31: Forever

Chapter 27: Subconscious

492 26 11
By _imgonenow_

The two hitmen quickly began their journey. Dream was once again dressed in his usual mission-gear, including his fingerless gloves, cargo pants and the Smiley-mask. Techno had brought him a bag with the most essential things, such as a gun, a pocketknife, food, and some cash. It also contained a little black device which Dream concluded to be some type of communication gear, which he placed in his pocket.

Dream found it slightly aggravating that Techno had prepared so well, almost like he'd known all along that Dream would say yes.

They travelled in silence. Emotions were off, but Dream couldn't completely let himself trust Techno. Sure, he blindly followed him to an unknown location. But Techno could still decide to betray him. Their past wasn't exactly "travel-buddy"-material. The thought of trying to overthrow the pink-haired guy and steal the hard drive had crossed his mind. However, despite Dream's lack of conscious and somewhat critical thinking, he still knew that his odds against Techno was low.

As the night sky rolled in, Techno signaled that it's time to stop for the day. They agreed to stay the night in the woods. A small wooden wind shelter with a fireplace beside it ended up being their house for the night.

At least that was the original plan. Techno was in the process of removing his hideous pig mask and making some sad excuse for a bed while Dream stayed on the opposite side of the small building, carefully following the hitman's every move. It baffled him how completely unbothered Techno appeared, to such a point that it looked like he was about to fall asleep. Dream, however, had no such plan. He wanted full supervision over his newfound companion.

Well, until his brain decided otherwise. One minute he was in the woods, but then suddenly he found himself on recognizable wooden platform located high above the clouds.

He groaned internally when the weird flying creature approached him. It always startled him when its voice rang through his head, and it weirded him out that the "thing" didn't have a face, or eyes for that matter.

The emotionless voice disturbed his thoughts. "I'm simply a projection created by your subconscious. Do not dread me as I'm noting more than illusion molded by you, Clay"

Dream shrugged. He was 80 percent sure that the creature just read his mind.

"What do you want this time?" Dream asked cautiously. Previous times had all left him emotionally confused. The being had a tendency to either don't speak at all and give Dream the silent treatment until he broke or ask the most absurd questions.

Dream waited for an answer. However, the answer he received was a wave of emotions hitting him as they returned. Pictures of George's face when he'd been told the truth about Dream's identity, overflooded his mind.

How could George still love him?

Another memory resurfaced; the night when Dream had kidnapped him. George had expressed that he believed that Dream was a dangerous person but then proceeded to kiss him.

Right then, in his wicked state, did Dream make a silent promise. Schlatt would die, but when that was done, he'd disappear from the world and start new somewhere where no one knew who he was and what he'd done.

George deserved better, he deserved to finish his studies, find a person who hadn't tormented and killed people for years. No one deserved to deal with someone carrying that baggage. His family was right to leave him.

He was unlovable. Undeserving of affection.

"Why do you believe that you have the right to choose who loves you?"

Dream furrowed his brows and stared at the creature. "What the fuck are you on about? I'm not choosing anything for anyone, I'm making it so that they can have the life they deserve." His tone slowly rising as he spoke.

"To not allow someone to love you is equivalent with making a choice for them. So, I'll ask again; what gives you the right to remove somebody's choice to love you when you clearly love that person?" The being asked, still with no emotions to his voice.

Irritation arose. "I'm protecting them!" He stated firmly.

"From what exactly?"

"From me! I'm protecting him from me." Dream was screaming at that point.

"Wrong. You're only protecting yourself from potential heartache by running away."

Dream's mouth fell agape. How could this weird-ass thing not understand his reasoning?

"How– I'm not– You're not being fair. He deserves someone better than me." Dream stuttered

"Then, what do you deserve?" The creature countered.

The question left him speechless. What did he actually deserve? Because deep down he knew that he didn't want to run away. He didn't want to be alone, not again. It had also become abundantly clear that he craved a certain British brunette's company. The time spent apart was horrendously painful.

But there was a difference between wanting and deserving.

He sighed in defeat. "I honestly don't know anymore. But it doesn't seem fair to not allow George the chance of a better life."

Silence fell as the creature kept floating in front of him. Dream couldn't tell if the answer had been the right one or not.

"Are you debating George's ability to make choice?."

Dream threw his hand up in defeat. "What do you want me to say exactly? That I think that love might cloud his judgement?"

"I'm not wanting you to confess anything. Again, I'm merely a creation made by your subconscious."

Dream buried his head in his hands. "Right. I forgot that I've gone mad."

"You're neither crazy nor truly believe that you're unworthy of love. But you are afraid– and fear can be just as misguiding as love."

Dream groaned in annoyance at the truth lacing the words.

"You cannot protect yourself from sadness without also protecting yourself from happiness." The creature continued.

Dream eventually rose his head and let his gaze land on the glowing halos that covered the cloaked being's supposed face.

"But what if he decides to leave me in the end?" His tone sounded like a child whining to their parent.

Though he didn't receive an answer as a sharp sound from phone abruptly brought him back from the hallucination.

It had left his mind and emotions in shambles. Best description would be if someone would've left the symbolical 'switch' in a middle mode. His eyes soon adjusted to the darkness. The sound disappeared and Dream heard how Techno greeted someone.

Darkness made it so that Dream could just barely make out Techno's facial features, yet the mood change practically radiated throughout their little camp. Few undistinguishable words were uttered from Techno before the call ended.

"Dream?" Techno's voice was oddly startled.

A bad feeling was growing in the pit of Dream's stomach. "What's up?"

A tension filled pause occurred before the hitman continued. "That was Wilbur. Schlatt's holding Tubbo and Tommy– and Drista captive in the facility we just escaped from."

Dream froze at the mentioning of the last person. It couldn't be true. Did Schlatt even know about Dream's connection to Drista? The most plausible answer was yes. He took a deep breath. Once again had people he cared about been put in great danger due to their connection to him.

"Dream?" Techno said with a careful tone.

"What?"

"Schlatt's counting with that we'll act reckless and without a plan."

"Why are you telling me this?"

"Because you're not gonna help anyone by going after him without a plan. Our best chance is to meet up with the others and the proceed. Understood?"

He closed his eyes and cursed silently. This was probably one of the few times where it would've been more beneficial not to have feeling infiltrating his decision-making ability.

"Dream. Do you understand? We'll wait here, they should be here by sunrise."

"Yeah yeah I understand." Dream hissed through his teeth.

-------------

Time passed by dreadfully slow. Dream was fascinated to hear light snoring coming from Techno's direction. Dream himself couldn't even imagine sleeping right now. All he could think of was how his poor sister was help captive and most likely scared out of her mind, all because of Dream's life choices.

The guilt was eating him alive. Eventually he made up his mind. It was an extremely stupid and reckless decision, yet he was set on going through with it.

He was going to save them, even if he died as a result. He was tired of people suffering because of him.

His promise to Techno would be broken, but it was a small price to pay.

Without further notice, he began gathering the few things he had. One last glance at Techno and he was on his way back to the place he'd just escaped from. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36.6K 1.6K 43
100 000 years have passed since the devastating nuclear explosion that wiped out most of humanity. Dream lives in a bunker that have protected a few...
57K 2.2K 67
Dream, George, and Sapnap have been living together in Florida for years when a zombie apocalypse uproots their lives. Along with other survivors, th...
90.1K 3.6K 34
A DNF Vampire AU Someone is going around killing people in horrendous ways, and however that person leaves clues that would be able to discover the k...
16.3K 725 25
dream, george, nick, and karl are all broke college kids that put all (what was left) of their savings into their band. they get small gigs sometimes...