The Other Side

By YvetteRussell

Lenore almost had everything she wanted. In just a few short months, she'd graduate early from high school, s... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26

Chapter 13

184 32 4
By YvetteRussell

By the beginning of next week, the project was done. Though Lenore had known the deadline for weeks, it still felt like an unwelcome surprise, like it had come too soon. She didn't want the project to be over. She had come to rely on it for a reason to be around Victor. And now, with the project done, it felt like there was no longer anything tying them together.

The bell rang, and Lenore lingered at her spot in the back while her classmates rushed for the door. She quietly put her things away while they fought the crowd to be the first out.

When everyone else was gone, and Mr. Platz waited for her by the door, ready to lock up, she finally made her way out.

As she passed, Mr. Platz smiled at her.

"Good work today, Lenore," he said with an approving nod. "Your presentation was excellent."

Lenore's spirits lifted a little. She had always liked doing well in school and soaked up the teacher's praise, even though she knew it was dorky. "Thank you."

"Don't worry about Brad," he added with an exasperated exhale as he followed her into the hall. "I'll... handle him."

"Thanks," Lenore said with a chuckle. Of course, Brad hadn't even shown up for the presentation. Not that she expected him to.

"And pass along my compliments to Victor," Mr. Platz said as he locked the door behind them. "You two make a good team. Maybe I'll pair you two up again."

Lenore was glad Mr. Platz quickly walked soon after because her face felt like it was on fire.

A good team.

He'd said they made a good team.

There was a flutter of hope in her chest, but it quickly faltered as the cold grip of reality took hold. Her shoulders slumped, suddenly heavy.

A 'good team' was all well and good, but that was all she and Victor would ever be. She wondered where Victor had gone—he had rushed out with the rest of their classmates. Could she even consider him a friend? After all, he hadn't even waited for her—

"Lenore!"

She spun around.

There was Victor on the other side of the hall, standing by a block of lockers. He waved her down.

He had waited for her.

The flutter in her chest started up again. She tried to press it down, but that did little good. She hurried over.

"Nice job, partner," Victor cheered as she got close. He reached out and offered Lenore a high five. "I think we nailed it."

Lenore nodded and lightly tapped his hand. It was the briefest of touches, but a smile spread across her face before she could stop it.

"I think so, too," she said. "Mr. Platz basically said as much."

Victor grinned and opened his mouth to say something else—

The locker closest to Victor slammed closed, and Fiona appeared, her PE bag slung over her shoulder.

Lenore's face fell. She pressed her books tight to her chest as if they might hide the rapid beating of her heart.

So, Victor hadn't been waiting for her...

He had been waiting for Fiona.

Of course.

"Thank god it's done," Fiona said with a dramatic sigh, flopping against her recently-closed locker and pressing her hand to her forehead. "I hate giving presentations. Remind me to figure out a career that has zero public speaking. Like, a nun or something."

"Or maybe a hermit?" Victor offered.

"I don't think they're hiring for that anymore," Fiona laughed before turning to Lenore. "But, hey, at least it's over! And you won't have to put up with this nerd anymore."

She rolled her eyes and playfully elbowed Victor.

"Hey!" he said, going a little pink.

"I-It wasn't...." Lenore objected, her voice small.

Fiona didn't seem to hear her. Grinning, she continued jabbing at Victor while he got pinker and pinker.

"Isn't he, like, so annoying?" she giggled, giving Lenore a wide smile.

The exact opposite, actually, was what Lenore wanted to say. But she knew that wasn't the right response. It would be weird to defend Victor to his own girlfriend, especially when she was clearly joking.

Victor had gone bright red by now. He clearly didn't appreciate Fiona's teasing. Why was Fiona teasing him like this, anyway? Wasn't she—

A chill ran up Lenore's spine as she realized.

Fiona knew.

Lenore wasn't sure how she knew, but she was now certain she did.

Had it really been so obvious that she had a crush on Victor?

Is that why she had sent her to his house on Friday?

But if Fiona knew, then...

She snuck a look at Victor. He noticed her eyes on him and gave her an apologetic grimace, cheeks still blazing, like he was trying to say sorry for his girlfriend's behaviour.

...Victor had to know, too.

All sensation drained from Lenore's body. Victor knew she liked him. He knew. Somehow that was worse than just pining for him at a distance, accepting that she'd never get what she wanted. He hadn't said anything, but of course, he wouldn't. He was too nice for that.

Fiona wasn't, though, apparently. Maybe she was meaner than Lenore originally thought.

"I-I should go," Lenore sputtered. "I've got to stop by my locker before my next class."

"We should, too," Fiona said with another sigh as she finally stopped poking at Victor. "Phys Ed. Yay."

"You'll survive," Victor said with a roll of his eyes, though the redness in his cheeks stubbornly stayed put. She noticed he already had his bag with him. "I'll, uh, see you later Lenore."

"Yeah," Lenore muttered. "Later."

The rest of the day passed in a blur. By the end of it, Lenore was just glad it was over. She had been barely holding it together and wasn't sure she'd make it. Her eyes ached from holding back the wave of tears that had been there since this morning. It wasn't going to be pretty when the floodgates finally opened.

She couldn't wait to get home. She wanted to throw herself into bed and never leave. Maybe she'd changed her mind about school. Maybe she'd drop out after all. Her mother might throw a fit, but whatever. Coming back next year might be tolerable if it meant never having to face Victor or Fiona ever again.

Victor. Her heart ached at the thought of him. It was so humiliating to have her crush be common knowledge. She wondered if Fiona would spread it around school, too. Then everyone would know how pathetic she was and give them even more reasons to avoid her. Suddenly she felt very alone again.

As she approached her lockers, her heart began to race. She wasn't sure if she'd run into Victor there, too. Fortunately, he wasn't here yet, but the idea of having to see him there every day, for the rest of the school year made her cringe with embarrassment. Maybe she could ask to move lockers. Dropping out was starting to sound better and better...

Throwing her books in the locker, not bothering to take her homework, she grabbed her coat and bag. She was glad she had brought the heavy shell of her winter jacket. Judging by the sky, it was going to rain soon. Lenore was somewhat comforted by that fact. At least the sky would cry with her.

When she turned to leave, she staggered to a stop. Victor was standing at the end of the hall, staring at her. He looked nervous for some reason like he was debating heading to his locker while she was still there.

Lenore's heart sank. She hated that he felt the need to avoid her now, too. She wished she could tell him it was all a misunderstanding, even though it wasn't.

Why did she have to go and develop feelings for him? It ruined everything.

"Hey," he said, sounding as awkward as he looked.

"H-Hey," she replied. "Listen—"

"Do you mind—" he began, cutting her off.

They stopped and just looked at each other.

"C-Can I walk you home?" he said suddenly.

A chill ran up Lenore's neck. What? Why would he...

Then she quickly understood.

He was going to let her down easy. Because he was nice like that.

She steeled herself, letting her eyes flutter closed for a moment. The deluge of tears would have to wait a little longer. It was probably best to just get this over with.

"Sure," she said with a defeated sigh.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

849 120 34
BOOK NUMBER 1 OF 12 IN THE MULTIMAGICAL SERIES BY LILLIAN R.S. ☆☆☆ Emeline Orman was sixteen when she and her parents moved across the country to t...
378 55 23
Missing agency and direction in her life, River takes matters into her own hands to realize she never had much control to begin with. Thrust suddenly...
608 70 41
An unexpected move, an unexpected love, an unexpected world... Essie has been chosen "for such a time as this". An aspiring journalist, Essie Jacobs...
818 184 21
When Bryony -- herbalist extraordinaire -- goes missing, Bella knows one suspect stands above the rest. The village's aspiring second witch, Daphne...