Bless the Broken Road

By TheQuietHufflepuff

Everything Zach knew changed when he was just a toddler. Life became a lot scarier, and a lot harder. Now he... More

Aesthetics
Playlist
Season One
Never Normal Again
01. Pilot
02. Wendigo
03. Dead in the Water
04. Phantom Traveler
05. Bloody Mary
06. Skin
07. Home
08. Asylum
09. Scarecrow
10. Faith
11. Nightmare
12. Shadow
13. Hell House
14. Something Wicked
15. Provenance
16. Dead Man's Blood
17. Salvation
18. Devil's Trap
Season Two
19. In My Time of Dying
20. Everybody Loves a Clown
21. Bloodlust
22. Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things
23. Simon Said
24. No Exit
25. The Usual Suspects
27. Croatoan
28. Hunted
29. Nightshifter
30. Houses of the Holy
31. Born Under a Bad Sign
32. Tall Tales
33. Roadkill
34. Hollywood Babylon
35. Folsom Prison Blues
36. What Is and What Should Never Be
37. All Hell Breaks Loose (Part One)
38. All Hell Breaks Loose (Part Two)
Season Three
39. The Magnificent Seven
40. The Kids Are Alright
41. Bad Day at Black Rock
42. Sin City
43. Bedtime Stories
44. Red Sky at Morning
45. Fresh Blood
46. A Very Supernatural Christmas
47. Malleus Malleficarum
48. Dream a Little Dream of Me
49. Mystery Spot
50. Jus in Bello
51. Ghostfacers
52. Long Distance Call
53. Time Is on My Side
54. No Rest For the Wicked
Season Four
55. Lazarus Rising
56. Are You There, God? It's Me, Dean Winchester
57. In the Beginning
58. Metamorphosis
59. Monster Movie
60. Yellow Fever
61. It's the Great Pumpkin, Sam Winchester
62. Wishful Thinking
63. I Know What You Did Last Summer
64. Heaven and Hell
65. Family Remains
66. Criss Angel Is a Douchebag
67. After School Special
68. Sex & Violence
69. Death Takes a Holiday
70. On the Head of a Pin
71. It's a Terrible Life
72. The Monster at the End of This Book
73. Jump the Shark
74. The Rapture
75. When the Levee Breaks
76. Lucifer Rising
Season Five
77. Sympathy for the Devil
78. Good God, Y'all!
79. Free to Be You and Me
80. The End
81. Fallen Idols
82. I Believe the Children Are Our Future
83. The Curious Case of Zach Winchester
84. Changing Channels
85. The Real Ghostbusters
86. Abandon All Hope...
87. Sam, Interrupted
88. Swap Meat
89. The Song Remains the Same
90. My Bloody Valentine
91. Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
92. Dark Side of the Moon
93. 99 Problems
94. Point of No Return
95. Hammer of the Gods
96. The Devil You Know
97. Two Minutes to Midnight
98. Swan Song
Book Two

26. Crossroad Blues

89 4 1
By TheQuietHufflepuff

Sam, Dean, Zach and Lily were sitting at a table, Sam with his laptop open. On the screen, there was a mugshot of Zach from the St. Louis Police Department.

"So much for our low profile," Sam said. "You've got a warrant in St. Louis, and now you're officially in the Fed's database."

Zach grinned. "Dudes, Lil, I'm like Dillinger or something."

"Zach, it's not funny. Makes the job harder, we've gotta be more careful now."

"Well, what do they got on you three?"

Lily shook her head. "Nothing, far as I know. Thank goodness because my dad would kill me."

Sam glanced at her worriedly and muttered, "I'm sure they haven't posted it yet."

"No accessory?" Dean questioned. "Nothing?"

"Shut up."

Zach laughed. "You're jealous."

"No, I'm not!" Sam and Lily retorted.

Dean shrugged. "I'm a little jealous." He looked between Sam and Lily. "Uh-huh. All right. What do you got on the case there, you innocent, harmless young man, you?"

Sam shut his computer, annoyed, and pulled out several pages of research. "Architect Sean Boyden plummeted to his death from the roof of his home, a condominium he designed."

"Hmm. Build a high-rise and jump off the top of it. That's classy. When did he call Animal Control?"

"Two days earlier."

"Did he actually say black dog?" Lily asked.

"Yeah. A vicious, wild, black dog. The authorities couldn't find it, no one else saw it; in fact, the authorities are a little confused as to how a wild dog could get past the doorman, take the elevator up and start roaming the halls of the cushiest joint in town. After that, no more calls, he doesn't show up for work, two days later he takes a swan dive. Well, maybe."

"What's the lore on it?" Dean questioned.

Sam passed Dean the pages. "It's pretty vague. I mean, there are spectral black dogs all over the world, but... some say they're animal spirits, others say death omens. But anyways, whatever they are, they're big, nasty-"

"Yeah, I bet they could hump the crap outta your leg, look at that one, huh?" He held up a picture and smirked; Sam and Zach glared and Lily rolled her eyes; his smirk slipped. "What? They could."

Lily met Dean's eyes. "Sam's right. These are dogs you can't see with the naked eye."

APARTMENT

In a posh, well-lit room, Sam, Dean, Zach and Lily were in suits and a dress and interviewing a man.

"So, you and Sean Boyden were business partners for almost ten years, right?" Sam questioned.

"That's right," the man said. "Now one more time, this is for...?"

"A tribute to Mr. Boyden," Dean explained. "Architectural Digest." The man laughed. "This funny to you?"

"No, it... it's just, a tribute. Yeah. See, Sean always got the tributes. He kills himself, leaves me and his family behind... well, he gets another tribute."

"Right," Zach noted. "Any idea why he'd do such a thing?"

"I, I have no clue, I mean he lived a charmed life."

"How so?"

"He was a flat-out genius. I mean, I'm capable, but next to him, I... and it wasn't always that way, either."

"No?" Dean asked.

"You wanna know the truth? There was a time where he couldn't even design a pup tent. Hell, ten years ago he's working as a bartender at this place called Lloyd's. A complete dive."

"Right. So what changed?" Sam wondered.

"You got me. But overnight, he gets this huge commission, and he starts designing... he starts designing the most ingenious buildings anyone has ever seen. It was like, the level of Van Gogh, and Mozart..." he cut off abruptly.

"What?" Dean and Lily asked.

"It's funny. True geniuses, they seem to die young, don't they? To have that kind of talent? Why... why just throw it away?"

STREET

Dean exited a building designated Animal Protection Agency, still wearing his suit. Sam, Zach and Lily were waiting in the car. Dean got in the driver's side.

"So," Sam and Zach said.

"Secretary's name is Carly," Dean informed. "She's 23, she, uh, kayaks, and they're real."

"You didn't happen to ask her if she's seen any black dogs lately, did you?" Sam asked.

Dean held up a page. "Every complaint called in this week about anything big, black, or dog-like. There's 19 calls in all. And, uh," he pulled off a Post-It note,"don't know what this thing is."

Sam took it, read it, and laughed. He glanced at Dean. "You mean Carly's MySpace address?"

"Yeah, MySpace, what the hell is that?" Sam laughed again. "Seriously, is that some sort of porn site?"

"No," Lily answered with a laugh. "It's a social networking site."

"I wish," he muttered.

---

They made their way to Dr. Pearlman's house and knocked on the door.

"I swear, if this is another freakin' Pomeranian barking in the neighbor's yard..." Dean trailed.

The door opened to reveal a young woman.

"Afternoon, ma'am," Dean greeted, pulling out an ID. "Uh, Animal Control."

"Oh, someone already came yesterday," the woman said.

"Oh, we're just following up," Sam explained. "We're looking for Dr. Sylvia Pearlman?"

They entered.

"The doctor, well, she, I don't know exactly when she'll be back, she left two days ago."

"Okay," Sam said. "And you are..."

"I'm Ms. Pearlman's maid."

"So where did the doctor go?" Dean questioned.

"I'm not sure. She just packed and went, she didn't say where. That stray dog, did you find it finally?"

"Oh, not yet," Zach answered. "You know, you didn't ever happen to see the dog yourself, did you?"

"Well, no. I never ever heard it."

Dean took a photograph off the wall of Dr. Pearlman at a bar with two friends.

The woman continued. "I was almost starting to think the doctor was imagining things, but she's not like that, so..."

"Hey, you know I read she was, uh, chief surgeon at the hospital," Dean said. "She's gotta be what, 42, 43? That's pretty young for that job."

"Youngest in the history of the place. She got the position... ten years ago?"

"Huh."

"Huh," Sam repeated. "An overnight success. Ten years ago."

"Yeah, we know a guy like that. Oh, look at this." He held up the photo and flipped it over to show writing on the back. "Lloyd's Bar."

---

At another motel room, Dr. Pearlman, terrified and disheveled in appearance, paid for another night and chained the door.

CROSSROADS

Dean, Sam, Zach and Lily pulled up outside Lloyd's Bar and got out. As they walked towards the bar, Dean and Lily noticed some yellow flowers growing by the side of the road and stopped.

"Hey," Dean and Lily called.

"Yeah?" Sam and Zach asked.

"That's weird."

The yellow flowers were growing on multiple corners.

"What?" Sam wondered.

"Think someone planted these?" Dean questioned.

Zach raised a brow. "Middle of all these weeds?"

"These are, uh, what do you call 'em?"

"Yarrow flowers?" Sam answered in a questioning tone.

"Yeah. Used for certain rituals, aren't they?"

"Yeah, actually. Summoning rituals," Lily answered.

"Heh. So, two people become sudden successes about ten years ago. Right around the time they were hanging out here at Lloyd's."

"Where there just happens to be a crossroads. You think?" Sam asked.

Zach looked between his brothers and friend. "Let's find out." He walked to the center of the crossroads and looked around, measuring. "This seem about the dead center to you guys?"

Dean walked up to him and dug a few inches into the hard soil and hit something solid. He stopped.

"Yahtzee," Dean said.

Dean dropped the shovel and he and Zach dug with their hands. He pulled out an old rusted box and opened it. The box contained, among other things, several small bones and a small stoppered jar that Sam took out.

"I'd be willing to bet that's graveyard dirt," Sam said. "And a black cat bone."

"That's serious spellwork," Sam noted. "I mean, that's Deep South Hoodoo stuff."

"Used to summon a demon."

Lily shook her head. "Not just to summon one. Crossroads are where pacts are made. These people are actually making deals with the damn thing. You know, 'cause that always ends fantastically."

Sam nodded and Dean said, "Yeah, whoever this demon is, it's back and it's collecting. And that doctor lady? Wherever she's running? She ain't running fast enough."

---

Dr. Pearlman's room was broken into by something invisible and sharp claws dug into her legs, leaving bloody trails. She was pulled across the floor, grasping at the bed sheets and screaming.

---

Sam thought for a moment. "So it's just like the Robert Johnson legend, right? Selling your soul at the crossroads, kind of deal?"

"Yeah, except that wasn't a legend," Dean said. "I mean, you know his music." Sam and Zach shrugged. "You two don't know Robert Johnson's songs? Sam, Zach, there's, there's occult references all over his lyrics, I mean, Crossroad Blues? Me And The Devil Blues? Hellhound on My Trail?" Sam and Zach frowned, Dean rolled his eyes, and Lily looked between them. "The story goes, he died choking on his own blood, he was hallucinating, and muttering about big, evil dogs."

"And now it's happening all over again."

"Yeah."

"We've gotta fire out if anyone else struck any bargains around here."

"Great," Zach muttered. "So we gotta clean up these people's mess for 'em? I mean, they're not exactly squeaky clean. No one put a gun to their head and forced 'em to play Let's Make A Deal."

"So what, we should just leave them to die?"

"Somebody goes over Niagra in a barrel, you gonna jump in and try to save 'em?" Dean questioned.

"Dean. Zach."

"All right. Fine." He paused a beat. "Rituals like this, you've got to put your own photo into the mix, right? So this guy probably summoned this thing, let's go and see if anyone inside knows him. If he's still alive."

---

They made their way to Darrow's home and walked up a set of wide, wooden stairs to the fourth floor of an apartment building.

"What's this guys's name again?" Sam asked.

"George Darrow," Dean replied. "Apparently quite the regular at Lloyd's. Though this house probably ain't up next on MTV Cribs, is it?"

"Yeah. So whatever kind of deal he made-" Lily was cut off.

"Wasn't for cash. Oh, who knows. Maybe this place is full of babes in Princess Leia bikinis." Sam and Zach sighed and Lily rolled her eyes. "No, I'm just saying, this guy's got one epic bill come due. Hope at least he asked for something fun."

Lily glanced at him. "Why are you the way you are?"

He shrugged. "Couldn't tell you."

They reached the landing and stopped in front of apartment 4C. The floor was dusted with a fine black powder.

"Look at that," Sam and Zach noted.

They crouched down, fingering it.

Dean frowned. "What is that, pepper?" He brought it near his mouth.

The door opened to reveal George - a middle-aged man with graying hair, wearing a grimy T-shirt and an open button-down.

"Who the hell are you?" George demanded.

"George Darrow?" Lily questioned.

"I'm not buying anything."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, looks like you went for the wrong shaker there," Dean said. "Heh. Usually when you want to keep something evil out, you go for the salt."

"I don't know what you talkin' about."

"Talkin' about this." He held up the small picture. "Tell me. You seen that Hellhound yet?"

"Look. We want to help," Sam reassured. "Please. Just five minutes."

George showed them in and poured himself a glass of whiskey. The studio apartment was filled with paintings, completed and half-finished, and a table held painting supplies.

"So what is that stuff out front?" Sam asked.

George stared at them and they looked back blankly. "What, you boys and lady think you know somethin' about somethin' but not Goofer dust?" He tossed Dean a brown sack, tied close with twine and Dean caught it.

"Well, we know a little about a lot of things," Dean said. "Just enough to make us dangerous."

"What is it?" Sam and Zach questioned.

"Hoodoo," George replied. "My grandma taught me. Keeps out demons."

"Demons we know," Lily said.

"Well, then. Maybe it'll do you some good." He walked toward a chair. "Four minutes left."

Dean, Zach and Lily glanced at Sam, who took the lead.

"Mr. Darrow," Sam said. "We know you're in trouble."

"Yeah, that you got yourself into," Dean and Zach added.

Sam's words were half-directed at his brothers. "But it's not hopeless, all right? There's gotta be something we can do."

"Listen. I get that you boys and girl want to help," George told them. "But sometimes a person makes their bed, they've just got to lie down in it. I'm the one called that demon in the first place."

"What'd you do it for?" Dean asked.

"I was weak. I mean, who don't want to be great? Who don't want their life to mean something? I just... I just never thought about the price."

"Was it worth it?" Lily questioned.

"Hell no. 'Course, I asked for talent. Shoulda gone for fame. I'm still broke, and lonely. Just now I got this pile of paintings don't nobody want. But that wasn't the worst."

"Go on," Sam said.

"Demon didn't leave. I never counted on that. After our deal was done, the damn thing stayed at Lloyd's for a week. Just chattin'. Makin' more deals. I tried to warn folks, but, I mean, who's goin' to listen to an old drunk?"

"How many others are there?"

"Uh, the architect, that doctor lady -- I kept up with them, they've been in the papers. Least they got famous."

"Who else, George?" Dean asked. "Come on, think."

"One more. Uh, nice guy too. Hudson. Evan, I think. I don't know what he asked for. Don't matter now. We done for."

"No," Sam argued. "No, there's gotta be a way."

"You don't get it! I don't want a way!"

"Look, you don't-"

"I called that thing! I brought it on myself. I brought it on them. I'm going to Hell, one way or another. All I want is to finish my last painting. Day or two, I'm done. I'm just trying to hold them off 'till then. Buy a little time. Okay, boys, girl. Time you went, go help somebody that wants help."

"We can't just-"

"Get out! I got work to do."

"You don't really want to die."

"I don't? I'm... I'm tired."

The four left as George started painting.

EXT. HUDSON HOME

Dean, Sam, Zach and Lily approached Evan's front door. Sam and Lily knocked. A moment later, Evan opened the door.

"Yes?" Evan asked.

"Evan Hudson?" Sam questioned.

"You ever been to a bar called Lloyd's? Would have been about ten years ago," Dean said.

Evan, terrified, slammed the door and latched it.

"Come on, we're not demons!" Zach cried.

Inside, Evan bolted into a back room.

Sam looked between his brothers and friend. "Any other bright ideas?"

Zach stepped back and held out his arms, then kicked down the door. They entered. Outside the back room Evan had just entered, Zach prepared to kick down the next door down. Sam and Lily stopped him.

"What-" Sam and Lily began, looking at him pointedly.

Sam turned the handle and pushed the door open gently. The room was quiet as they entered.

"Evan?" Sam and Lily called.

Evan jumped out from behind a bookshelf. "Please! Don't hurt me."

Sam held his hand out, pacifying. "We're not going to hurt you, all right? We're here to help you."

"We know about the genius deal you made," Dean said.

"What? How?" Evan wondered.

"Doesn't matter," Zach answered. "All that matters is, we're trying to stop it."

"How do I know you're not lying?"

"Well, you don't, but you're kind of running low on options there, good sir."

Evan swallowed and started pacing. "Can you stop it?"

"Don't know," Sam admitted. "We'll try it."

"I don't want to die."

"Of course you don't, not now," Dean said.

"Dean, stop," Sam and Lily told their brother/friend quietly.

"What'd you ask for anyway, Evan? Huh? Never need Viagra? Bowl a perfect game? What?"

"My wife," Evan informed.

Dean laughed. "Right. Gettin' the girl. Well, that's worth a trip to Hell for."

"Dean, stop," Sam and Lily repeated.

"No," Evan said. "He's right, I made the deal. Nobody twisted my arm, that... woman, or whatever she was, at the bar? She said I could have anything I wanted. I thought she was nuts at first, but... I don't know how to -- I was desperate."

"Desperate?" Sam questioned.

"Julie was dying."

"You did it to save her?" Zach asked.

"She had cancer, they'd stopped treatment, they were moving her into hospice, they kept saying... a matter of days. So yeah, I made the deal. And I'd do it again. I'd have died for her on the spot."

"Did you ever think about her in all this?"

"I did this for her."

Zach advanced on Evan as he said, "You sure about that? She and I think you did this for yourself. So you wouldn't have to live without her. But guess what? She's going to have to live without you now. But what if she knew how much it cost? What if she knew it cost your soul? How do you think she'd feel?"

Sam and Lily put a hand on Zach's chest, pulling him back as Sam said, "Okay, that's enough. You just sit tight, all right? We're going to figure this out."

Sam and Zach followed Dean and Lily into the hallway. "You all right?"

"Yeah, why wouldn't we be?" Dean said. "Hey, I got an idea." He pulled out the Goofer dust. "You two throw George's hoodoo at that Hellhound, keep it away from Evan for as long as you can. I'm gonna go to the crossroads and summon the demon."

"Summon -- are you nuts?"

"Maybe a little. But I can trap it. I can exorcise it, and I can buy us time to figure out something more permanent."

"Yeah, but how much time?" Sam wondered.

"I don't know, awhile. I mean, it's not easy for those suckers to claw their way back from Hell and into the sunshine."

"No. No way," Sam and Lily argued.

"You're not allowed to say no, Sammy, Lil, not unless you've both got a better idea."

"Dean, you can forget it, all right?" Sam said. "Lily and I aren't letting you summon that demon. Zach, you can forget it too."

"Why not?"

"Because she and I don't like where your head's at right now, that's why not."

"What are you talking about?" Zach retorted.

"You know, you and Dean have been on edge ever since we found that crossroads, Zach, and I think Lily and I know why."

"We don't have time for this."

Dean and Zach brushed past Sam and Lily, but was stopped by a single word.

"Dad," Sam said. "You two think maybe Dad made one of these deals, huh? Hell. I've been thinking it. Lily's been thinking it. I'm sure you've both been thinking it too."

"It fits, doesn't it?" Dean replied quietly. "Zach and I are alive, Dad's dead. The Yellow-Eyed Demon was involved. What if he did? What if he struck a deal? Our lives for his soul?"

"I think I hear it!" Evan yelled from inside. "It's outside!"

Zach pointed to Evan's direction. "Just keep him alive, okay?"

"Dean, Zach..." Sam and Lily called.

"Go!" Dean and Zach yelled.

CROSSROADS

Dean and Zach made their way to the crossroads and the former cut up his photo and placed it in George's box of Hoodoo Magic. He buried the box at the dead center of the crossroads and scraped the dirt over with his hands. As he stood, a beautiful young woman in a black dress appeared behind the brothers.

"So," the demon called. "What brings a couple guys like you to a place like this?" He looked at her appraisingly, and she looked at him. "You called me?"

"I'm just glad it worked," Dean admitted.

"First time?"

"You could say that."

"Oh, come on now. Don't sell yourself short. I know all about you, Dean Winchester. I know all about you as well, Zach." Her eyes glowed red a moment.

"So, you know who we are."

"I get the newsletter."

"Well, don't keep us in suspense. What have you heard?" Zach asked.

"Well, I heard you two were handsome. But you're both just edible. What can I do for you and your brother, Dean?"

"Maybe we should do this in my car. Nice and private."

"Sounds good to me."

They strolled to Dean's car. Zach hung back.

HUDSON HOUSE

Sam was sprinkling the dust in a line before the windows, then started making a circle of it around Evan, who stood in the middle of the room.

"What is that stuff?" Evan asked.

"Goofer dust," Sam and Lily replied.

"You serious?"

"Yeah," Sam replied. "'Fraid so. Believe me, don't believe me, whatever you want. Just whatever you do, stay inside the circle, all right?"

Evan nodded.

CROSSROADS

Dean and the demon were still strolling towards the Impala.

"So I was hoping we could strike a deal," Dean said.

"That's what I do," the demon replied.

"I want Evan Hudson released from his contract."

"Hmm. So sorry, darling. That's not negotiable."

"I'll make it worth your while."

"Oh really? What are you offering?"

"Me."

"Well, well, well. You'd sacrifice your life for someone else's. Like father, like son."

Dean eyed her warily.

HUDSON HOUSE

Evan was hugging himself, standing in the middle of the circle that Sam was just finishing. He shook the bag and got out the last grains.

"That's the last of it," Sam told Evan.

CROSSROADS

"You did know about your dad's deal, right?" the demon questioned. "His life for yours and your brother's? Oh, I didn't make the deal myself, but... boy, I wish I had."

Dean gritted his teeth and opened the passenger side door. "After you."

"Such a gentleman."

As she started to get into the car, she looked down and saw the edge of a symbol extending from below the car.

"A Devil's Trap?" the demon said. "You've got to be kidding me."

"Damn it," Zach mumbled.

HUDSON HOSE

Evan whirled around at an unheard sound. "You hear that?"

"No, where?" Sam and Lily asked.

Evan heard the demonic growling. "Right outside the door."

The doors began to rattle violently and Sam and Lily stepped inside the circle.

As they stood side by side, they stared tensely at the rattling door.

"Just don't move, all right?" Sam said. "Stay where you are."

CROSSROADS

"You stupid, stupid... I should rip you limb from limb," the demon said angrily.

She slammed the car door shut and advanced on Dean, who backed up toward a wooden structure next to Zach.

In a pleading tone, Dean told her, "Take your best shot."

"No. I don't think so. I'm not going to put you out of your misery."

Zach smirked. "Yeah? Why not?"

"Because your misery's the whole point. It's too much fun to watch. Knowing how your daddy died for you two, how he sold his soul. I mean, that's gotta hurt." Dean and Zach backed up against a wooden railing. "It's all you two ever think about. You two wake up and your first thought is, "I can't do this anymore." You're all lit up with pain. I mean, you loved him so much. And it's all your fault." Dean and Zach recoiled as she got more in their faces. "You blew it, Dean! I could have given you and your brother what you need."

"What do we need?"

"Your father. I could have brought him back. Your loss. Seeya, Dean. Seeya, Zach. I wish you two a nice long life."

HUDSON HOME

The rattling became louder, more violent, and then suddenly stopped.

"Do you still hear it?" Sam asked.

"No," Evan replied. "Is it over?"

A rumbling sound came from a grating by the wall. They each whirled to stare at it and it burst outward, kicking dust into the room.

"It's here!" Evan cried.

CROSSROADS

The demon stopped and turned back. Dean and Zach were standing beneath the wooden structure, heads down.

"You're lucky I've got a soft spot for lost puppies. I just can't leave you like this. Besides. You didn't call me here to bargain for Evan. Not really."

"Can you bring him back?" Dean asked. "Our dad?"

"Of course I can. Just as he was. Your dad would live a long and natural life, like he was meant to. That's a promise."

"What about me?"

"I could give you ten years. Ten long good years with him. That's a lifetime. The family can be together again. John, Dean, Sammy, Zach. And their hunting friend Lily. The Winchester boys and the Hunter's daughter all reunited." She advanced on him. "Look. Your dad's supposed to alive. You two supposed to be dead. So we'll just set things straight, put things in their natural order. And you get ten extra years on top. That's a bonus." She was close to him and he turned and walked further back.

"You think you could..." Dean turned to face her, "...throw in a set of steak knives?"

The demon took a few steps forward. "You know, this smart-ass self-defense mechanism of yours..." She stopped and looked up. Above her head, on the ceiling of the wooden structure, was a Devil's Trap. She glared at him. "Dean!"

"Now you're really trapped. That's gotta hurt."

"Let me out. Now."

"Sure. We just gotta make a little deal here first. You call off your Hellhounds and let Evan go. Then we'll let you go."

"I can't break a binding contract."

"Hmm. And by "can't" you mean "don't want to"? Last chance. Evan and his wife get to live to a ripe old age. Going, going..."

"Let's talk about this."

"Gone." She glanced to Dean.

Dean circled around the demon and pulled out John's journal.

HUDSON HOUSE

The barking was growing louder and louder. Invisible Hellhounds surrounded Sam, Lily and Evan.

"No! Back inside the circle!" Sam and Lily ordered.

Deep claw marks were gouged into the floor in a path toward the circle and stopped just before the edge.

CROSSROADS

Dean opened the journal and held a rosary in one hand. Zach stood outside the trap with crossed arms.

"What are you doing?" the demon asked.

"Oh, you're just gonna go on a little trip," Dean replied. "Way down South."

"Forget Evan. Think of your dad."

Dean considered the demon's offer briefly and began the exorcism. "Regina terrae, cantate Deo..."

Dean continued the exorcism, circling the demon, who began to flinch and convulsed.

HUDSON HOUSE

Sam, Lily and Evan backed away slowly as the wind started to eat away at their protective circle.

"Circle's broken," Sam and Lily noted. "Come on!"

They pulled Evan from the room and down the hall. Sam, Lily and Evan darted into a storeroom and slammed the door behind them. Sam and Lily braced themselves against it and the Hellhounds started pounding it down.

CROSSROADS

"...in potentis Magnife!" Dean finished.

"Wait!" the demon cried.

HUDSON HOUSE

The violent pounding stopped and everything went quiet. Sam, Lily and Evan looked around, panting.

CROSSROADS

Dean and the demon were locked in a passionate kiss. The demon broke it and he stepped back and blinked.

"What the hell was that for?" Dean asked.

"Sealing the deal," the demon replied.

"I usually like to be warned before I'm violated with demon tongue."

"Evan Hudson is free. He and his wife will live long lives."

"How do I know you're not lying?"

"My word is my bond."

"Oh, really?"

"It is when I make a deal. It's the rules. You got what you wanted. Now let me go."

Dean stepped back, glancing up at the Devil's Trap and fingered the rosary.

"You're gonna double-cross me? Funny how I'm the trustworthy one." Dean shrugged. "You know, you renege? Send me to Hell? Sooner or later I'm gonna climb out and skinning Evan Hudson's gonna be the first thing that I do."

Dean smiled and stashed the rosary away. He climbed up and broke the protective cycle above her head and she stepped out.

"I gotta tell you. You would have never pulled that stunt if you knew."

"Knew what?"

"Where your dad is. You should have made that deal. See, people talk about Hell, but it's just a word. It doesn't even come close to describing the real thing."

"Shut your mouth, bitch."

"If you could see your poor daddy. Hear the sounds he makes 'cause he can't even scream?"

Dean advanced on her. "How about I send you back there?"

She threw her head back and black ichor poured out of her mouth as she screamed. Dean backed up until he was against the wooden structure again. The demon was gone, and the girl who had hosted it slumped to the ground, confused.

"What... how did I get here?" the girl asked.

Zach checked the girl over to make sure she was okay.

ROAD

Dean was driving down the road, Sam brooded beside him, and Zach and Lily were sitting in the back with depressed and concerned looks.

"Demons lie all the time, right?" Sam said. "Maybe she was lying."

"Come on," Dean replied. "That really what you think?" Sam looked down. "How could he do it?"

"He did it for you and Zach."

"Exactly. How are we supposed to live with that? You know, the thought of him... wherever he is right now. I mean, he spent his whole life chasing that... yellow-eyed son of a bitch. He should have gone out fighting. That was supposed to be his legacy. You know? Not bargaining with the damn thing. Not this."

"How many people do you think Dad saved? Total?"

"That's not the point, Sam."

"Evan Hudson is safe because of what Dad taught us. That's his legacy, Dean. But we're still here, man, dude, Lil. So we keep going, for him." He paused a beat. "Dean?"

"Yeah."

Lily spoke in a slightly nervous tone. "When you two were trapping that demon, you two weren't... I mean, it was all a trick, right? You two never considered actually making that deal, right?"

Dean stared straight ahead, then glanced out the window. He reached forward and turned on the radio on full blast and didn't say a word. Zach turned away and stared out his window.

Lily and Sam shared a concerned look.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.5K 151 78
Daisy Winchester hates the life she grew up in, but she loves it at the same time. She calls it the paradoxical bane of her existence. When her fath...
53 3 4
Supernatural: the Father Hunt The Winchesters are not normal. For instance, they grew up hunting the supernatural. They may have had their difference...
24.7K 732 66
They're back! The ghouls, vampires, ghosts, spirits and even more terrifying entities. And wherever these evil beings are, you'll find the Winchester...
1.7K 56 27
When her father goes missing, Deanna recruits the help of her younger brother. The two, alongside another, fall once again into what they know. Sav...