Waging War Book 3: Blood Red...

By DawnfireOfSkyClan

"When the blood covers the moon, peace will drown in the ashes of war." The traveling cats have returned to t... More

Allegiances
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32

Chapter 20

354 19 12
By DawnfireOfSkyClan

The moorland passed by as nothing but a white blur as the paws of Leopardpaw hit the ground at high speeds. Her legs carried her limb body across the moorland with ease, kicking up flurries of snow as she moved with ease. She couldn't feel the harsh cold air as her pumping blood kept her body warm. Her target came into view, the small rock pile near the back end MoonClan's territory. Beside it stood Berryheart, Tallsong and Ripplepaw.

Almost there. Leopardpaw told herself, pushing herself to run even faster. She made it to the rockpile very quickly after it came into view. She gradually slowed herself down until she came to a graceful stop beside the rockpile and her Clanmates. "Very good." Berryheart purred. "You were even quicker than your brother."

Leopardpaw looked at her brother, he didn't look upset by the comment, he looked proud of his sister. "Yeah," Leopardpaw mewed as she took a few seconds to catch her breath. "But he's always been better at catching fish than me, and he's stronger."

Ripplepaw let out a purr. "You are great at catching rabbits with your speed." Leopardpaw gently touched her tail to her brother's flank, she treasured the relationship they had. There was never any arguing or showing off between each other. Peachblossom had raised them to respect each other and encourage one another. Breezetail also encouraged the same, making sure that on the off chance they did have an argument or disagreement, they could overcome it.

Leopardpaw was certain the only times they had argued was when they were very young and it was over who got the first bite of prey that Breezetail brought them. "You both did incredibly well." Tallsong chimed, happily waving her tail. "You both are natural born runners, a true mark of a MoonClan warrior. Now let's head back to camp and you two can get some prey."

Leopardpaw felt warmed by the praise of both mentors as they ventured through the snow back to MoonClan camp. Now that she was no longer running, she could feel the cold a lot more but it still didn't bother her that much. She knew that the other Clans struggled a lot to stay warm but MoonClan cats didn't seem to struggle as much. She wasn't sure if they had thicker coats or what, but she loved the snow. She found it beautiful and serene, she loved watching the unique flakes fall and make a shimmering coat of snow on the moorland. Though she did avoid swimming.

They reached the MoonClan camp after a short walk and Tallsong and Berryheart dismissed the two apprentices to get some prey. Leopardpaw followed her brother towards the fresh kill pile. During the cold seasons, MoonClan kept their fresh-kill in a small buried hollow covered by lose moss and heather.

"What do you want?" Ripplepaw asked as he looked through the fresh-kill pile.

"Is there any rabbits?" Leopardpaw tilted her head.

"Yeah, I'll leave the big one for the elders." Ripplepaw stuck his head into the hollow and grabbed a medium sized rabbit. The two of them walked a nearby clump of dead brush and sat beside it to begin sharing the prey.

Leopardpaw bit into the rabbit, the food making her feel a lot comfier after her long sprint from one end of the territory to the other. "How's the rest of your training been going?" Ripplepaw asked, they trained quite a bit together but not always. Leoparpdaw had mostly been focused on her hunting and running skills.

"It's been good." Leopardpaw purred, waving her tail. "I love running, and I can almost keep up with our father."

"That's good." Ripplepaw meowed softly. "I want the weather to get warmer so I can get back to swimming. I was doing really good with it but I haven't been able to swim since it started snowing." Her brother had always loved swimming, when they had just started their swimming lessons, he was instantly into the water while she had to take her time.

The two siblings continued to eat their prey when she spotted a patrol returning, it was lead by Brokenclaw and had Ashfeather, Ferretpelt, Mosswind and Swanfeather. She noticed that Brokenclaw had an annoyed and disgruntled expression on his face. He stopped walking, said something to his patrol mates then headed straight for Shadowstar who was sitting outside of his den with Feathercloud sharing tongues, huddled close together.

Brokenclaw said something to Shadowstar who let out a sigh, he called out to Violetfur who was sharing prey with Icepool. Violetfur instantly stood up, said something to Icepool and swiftly dashed over to Shadowstar and Brokenclaw. Shadowstar touched his nose to Feathercloud and vanished inside of his den while Feathercloud padded over to talk with her fellow elders.

I hope everything is okay. Leopardpaw said silently. Tensions with AshClan have not gone down at all, luckily the two Clans didn't interact much but ever since Riverstar visited, the tension and stress had remained in the energy of the MoonClan cats. Leopardpaw had been doing her best not to think about it, but she could remain ignorant for only so long. She forced her attention away from the leader's den and back to the prey she shared with her brother and listened to a story he told about a bird he caught.

He finished his story and the two of them finished their prey, both siblings decided to wash themselves after finishing their prey and just about as she was going to get up and see if Berryheart had anything else for her today, Shadowstar, Violetfur and Brokenclaw stepped out of the leader's den.

Both Shadowstar and Violetfur shared the same expression that Brokenclaw had arrived with. She watched as Shadowstar jumped onto the small pile of rocks in the center of MoonClan camp. "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather for a Clan meeting!" Leoparpdaw could hear the tension in Shadowstar's voice, she shared a concerned glance with Ripplepaw but the two of them gathered as well.

They sat beside Peachblossom and Breezetail and watched the rest of the Clan gather. She noticed Shellpaw and his siblings sitting not far from them as well, she noticed they all looked as anxious and Leopardpaw felt. She briefly met Shellpaw's blue gaze, the older apprentice seemed quite concerned. She gave him a tiny nod, trying to make him feel a bit better, but she didn't think it helped.

They both turned their attention to Shadowstar who stood proudly over his Clan. It was at this moment, with the sunlight reflecting off his black coat that she noticed how gray the leader was becoming. With lighter fur around his muzzle and eyes and laced across his body. Despite his age, Shadowstar still stood tall and proud.

"Cats of MoonClan, as we discussed several days ago tensions between us and AshClan have been rising. Arguments at gatherings and disrespect from Riverstar and her warriors. MoonClan has a long history of peace, we pride ourselves on being the most peaceful of the Clans." Leopardpaw nodded slowly, it was one of the things that made her most proud to have been born a MoonClan cat. "However," There was a slight edge to his voice that made Leopardpaw lose her comfort. "This can sometimes make us look like easy targets for the other Clans, especially AshClan. Riverstar thinks that since we are the "peaceful Clan" that we will just stand and let her walk all over us, well I am telling you all today that is not the case."

Leopardpaw noticed Violetfur sitting beside Shadowstar, holding her head high. "I instructed certain patrols to make heavy markings on the other side of the river because I had a feeling Riverstar would be patrolling there, and I was right. It was a challenge and Riverstar accepted. Brokenclaw's patrol reported that our scent had been completely covered by the stench of AshClan."

Marking borders on the other side of the river? Leopardpaw exchanged a confused and worrisome glance with Ripplepaw. That territory doesn't belong to anyone, can we even mark borders there?

"It has become clear to me that the peaceful time of the Clans is coming to an end, at least between MoonClan and AshClan. I will not let our Clan be taken advantage of by Riverstar and her Clan of battle hungry warriors. At this point, a battle is a matter of when, not if and MoonClan will not be caught off guard. We must be prepared for Riverstar to take the fight directly to us because I know she will."

Leopardpaw tensed up, and she could feel Ripplepaw beside her do the same. Is there really going to be a fight between our Clans? She wondered. Leafdawn and Slatepaw always talked so highly of Riverstar, why would she start a fight like this? "Starting tomorrow we need to start refining our battle skills. Apprentices need more training and warriors need to sharpen their skills. We haven't fought a battle since Echoheart's assault and we must be prepared."

Leopardpaw noticed Shadowstar's yellow eyes scanning the crowd of MoonClan cats. "I can see that you are all concerned, I understand this, but I also want to remind all of you that while peaceful, MoonClan is not a Clan to be trifled with. MoonClan cats are strong, we are fast. We thrive under the stars, with our ancestors watching over us. Riverstar may attack, but we will drive her and her warriors out and they will know to never attack MoonClan again!"

The words of Shadowstar seemed to resonate with all of MoonClan, even Leopardpaw began to feel the pride of her Clan rushing through her body. The warriors let out cheers of pride. Leopardpaw still felt uncertain, but she trusted her leader and she trusted her Clanmates around her. She glanced up slowly towards the sky, watching the sun beam down through the snowy clouds. I will defend my Clan, no matter what.

*****

"You've all had battle training," Brokenclaw spoke up, looking over the group of apprentices. "But not nearly enough. It's time we sharpen all of your skills, because none of you have ever actually been in a real fight."

"That's not entirely true." It was Berryheart who spoke up. "Leopardpaw and I fought against a band of rouges while traveling."

"Rouges are not the same as fighting fully trained warriors, especially AshClan warriors."

"That is true," Berryheart nodded her head respectfully. "Rouges fight to kill, warriors do not. Regardless of who she fought, Leopardpaw here is the only apprentice who has fought another cat."

Brokenclaw looked at Leoparpdaw, she flight slightly intimidated by the large black tabby. He was a very strong senior warrior, and he was arguably one of the strongest in in MoonClan. "Your experience will help you, but for now I'm training you as if you don't have any. Understand?"

"Yes." Leopardpaw said sheepishly. He gave a short nod and looked over the other apprentices, all five of them had gathered.

"Three of you are very close to becoming warriors." He mewed, looking over Shellpaw, Meadowpaw and Minnowpaw. "I know you've all been waiting a long time, so I promise you that if this battle takes place, you will all be made very honorable warriors."

Leopardpaw looked at the three apprentices, neither of them seemed to be upset about not having their warrior ceremony. They all looked happy to serve their Clan. "We have an odd number of you so you'll have to take turns practicing with each other. Two of you will be together and one of you will be with one of the mentors. We'll start with Ripplepaw and Meadowpaw, Leopardpaw and Shellpaw, and Minnowpaw and Swiftheart. We will let you know when it's time to change partners."

"You will start by practicing a shoulder drop." Tallsong spoke up. "You will grab your opponent by the shoulders, allowing you to pin them down and lock them into place. This allows you to take control of the fight. Allow us to demonstrate." She looked at Icepool who stood beside Tallsong.

Leopardpaw watched as Icepool stepped away and braced herself for Tallsong's attack. Leopardpaw watched the black she-cat charged towards the white one, her paws grabbed Icepool's shoulders and she was shoved to the ground, Tallsong had her completely pinned and Icepool struggled beneath her grip.

Tallsong continued her attack by gently kicking Icepool's lower back to show just how much she controlled the fight now. After a moment, Tallsong stepped back and allowed Icepool to stand up. "You will take turns attacking each other, but remember not to hurt each other. This is training, not a real fight."

With a nod, the apprentices split into their respective groups and Leopardpaw faced Shellpaw. She hadn't gotten to talk to him much, aside form occasional conversations but he always seemed to be a kind-hearted, hard working apprentice. "So I get the one apprentice here with experience." He spoke, his voice teasing but friendly. "Make sure to go easy on me." The playful look in his eyes seem to take a lot of fear off her shoulders.

"They weren't the most well trained rouges." Leopardpaw let out a slight giggle. "I imagine you could've taken them on pretty easily."

"Maybe." He stretched out, preparing for them to begin their training. "But while you were fighting them I was stuck in the medicine cat den injured."

Leopardpaw blinked, realizing she had never actually known the cause of Shellpaw's injury. "So what happened? How did you get injured?"

"It was just a few days after you left, actually. I was hunting by the river when I slipped on some stones. Fell into the river and dislocated my shoulder, I was out of training for half a moon but as soon as Oneflight let me out I almost immediately aggravated the injury again so he kept off duties for another half-moon and even after that I had to be careful. I only got back on full duties a few days before you returned."

"Sounds rough." Leopardpaw said, her tone gentle. "I'm really sorry that happened to you, I'm glad you're alright."

"It was my own fault." Shellpaw chuckled. "Don't feel too bad for me, I might just do again for to feel some sympathy."

There was something else about his tone that felt...soft. Leopardpaw let out a purr but noticed Brokenclaw glaring at them. "You're not going to win a fight by talking, Shellpaw." Shellpaw didn't look at all intimidated or nervous by Brokenclaw's words. Something told Leopardpaw this wasn't the first time he had gotten scolded.

"We should get started though, don't want us falling behind the others. You attack first." Shellpaw declared, standing tall and facing Leopardpaw. She realized now that he was quite larger than she was. He was muscular or broad shouldered like Brokenclaw, but his legs and body were long and lean, she had to remind herself that Shellpaw was almost a full warrior, and probably should've been already. I can do this. Leopardpaw told herself. She had fought full grown rouges when she was at Mountainstar's home.

Though she hadn't been joking when she said Shellpaw could have easily taken one of them on. But this isn't a real fight. I can do this. She told herself and replayed the actions of Tallsong in her mind.

She stepped back and leapt forward, Shellpaw dodged her first attack but she recovered quickly. She used her speed to her advantage and moved before he could dodge her attack, she leapt up to make the distance between them and grabbed Shellpaw's shoulders with all her might.

She pushed her weight into him and together the two apprentices fell to the ground, she briefly had Shellpaw pinned but she tumbled forward and lost her grip. She landed on the soft moorland, creating a puff of powdered snow as she fell. Leopardpaw's pelt burned with embarrassment as she failed the attack in such a spectacular way.

"Well that's one way to do it." Shellpaw chuckled as she stood up, shaking the snow off his speckled coat. "Come on," He padded over to her and nudged her to her paws. "Try again. You've got the speed, you just need the strength."

Leopardpaw met his gaze, it wasn't judging or teasing, it was encouraging. She felt comforted by his words and stood back up. She faced Shellpaw once again, and feeling better about herself, she attacked.

This time she managed to predict his first dodge and grabbed his shoulders. This time she used her strength as best she could, holding tightly onto his shoulders and pinning him to the ground. She felt like she didn't have the strongest grip on him, but she still had control over the fight.

"Good work, Leopardpaw." Berryheart's confirmation gave Leopardpaw the sign to let him up.

"See?" Shellpaw mewed, waving his tail happily. "I knew you could do it."

Leopardpaw let out a purr, she wished she could keep training with Shellpaw but she knew she would have to train with the others eventually. The training session continued, and Leopardpaw felt herself improve each time she did it.

After all the apprentices had trained with each other and one warrior, the session was over. Leopardpaw felt sore and exhausted, but also invigorated. She enjoyed battle training, but deep down she knew that the fun aspects of battle training would be short lived. As they stopped focusing on their training the reality set back in. There is a very high chance we will be fighting AshClan with these moves. She breathed out a quiet sigh to herself as the group of MoonClan cats made their way back to camp to rest for the night.

"You doing alright?" She heard the voice of Shellpaw suddenly beside her.

"Yeah." Leopardpaw looked up at him. "Just a bit tired after training."

"You're a bad liar." Shellpaw gave her a coy look. Leopardpaw ducked her head. Is it that obvious? "I'm sure you're nervous about fighting AshClan, but I doubt it's going to be that big of a deal."

"Why do you say that?" Leopardpaw questioned, wondering how he sounded so confident.

"I've listened to the elder's tell stories about Riverstar and AshClan's history. She doesn't want to kill, she just wants to flaunt her strength. If there is a fight then Riverstar will be the one to start it. They'll come here all soaking wet from swimming across the river and half freezing to death, then us MoonClan cats will overpower them and drive them out. Riverstar will run with her tail between her legs and she'll know not to mess with MoonClan again."

"You seem so confident about it." Leopardpaw looked up Shellpaw, he seemed so certain with his words. Like he was telling a story.

"That's what all the warriors are telling me." Shellpaw assured her. "Warriors aren't supposed to kill. We may get some injures, but we'll be alright. Don't you worry." Leopardpaw couldn't deny the certainty in his eyes. Shellpaw was confident and so were the warriors of MoonClan. She had to remind herself to trust her Clanmates, they would keep each other safe and just as Shellpaw had said, the battle would be over quickly. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.2K 751 45
"You are our future..." Three sisters born into the most ferocious Clan in the forest, their entire lives of ahead of them. Riverkit is ambitious wi...
7.2K 397 31
"When the blood covers the moon, peace will drown in the ashes of war." A violent battle between AshClan and MoonClan has sparked a war between the t...
20.2K 594 30
The choices of the brave and the mistakes of the frightened, will shape the forest with unsteady paws and claws that rain blood Honeypaw and Falconpa...
16.1K 658 31
An Impossible Task... The travelling cats have been given their task, and it seems impossible. Owlpaw faces the challenge of convincing Sheer Mountai...