Sweeney & Bowen

By uninspiredachiever

Trying to regain EJ Caswell's heart, Bianca Sweeney auditions for the role of Gabriella, but something stands... More

Act I:
Chapter One: The Start of Something New
Chapter Two: Auditions
Chapter Three: The Read-Through
Chapter Four: Breaking Free
Chapter Five: The Wonderstudies
Chapter Six: Blocking
Chapter Seven: Homecoming
Chapter Eight: What Team?
Chapter Nine: Thanksgiving
Chapter Ten: The Tech Rehearsal
Chapter Eleven: Opening Night
Chapter Twelve: Act Two
Chapter Thirteen: New Year's Eve
Chapter Fourteen: Typecasting
Chapter Fifteen: Valentine's Day
Chapter Sixteen: The Storm
Chapter Seventeen: Quinceañero
Chapter Eighteen: Yes, And
Chapter Nineteen: Field Trip
Chapter Twenty: Most Likely To
Chapter Twenty-One: Spring Break
Chapter Twenty-Two: The Transformation
Chapter Twenty-Three: Showtime
Chapter Twenty-Four: Second Chances
Chapter Twenty-Five: If It's True Love
Chapter Twenty-Six: Happy Campers
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Into The Unknown
Chapter Twenty-Eight: The Woman in the Woods
Chapter Twenty-Nine: No Drama
Chapter Thirty-One: Color War
Chapter Thirty-Two: Bucket List
Chapter Thirty-Three: Camp Prom
Chapter Thirty-Four Let It Go
Chapter Thirty-Five: New Normal
Chapter Thirty-Six: High School Musical 4
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Meant To Be
Chapter Thirty-Eight: A Star Is Reborn
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Bianca's Birthday
Chapter Forty: The Thirteenth
Chapter Forty-One: Trick Or Treat
Chapter Forty-Two: Trust The Process
Chapter Forty-Three: Wrapped
Chapter Fourty-Four: Play The Scene
Chapter Forty-Five: Born To Be Brave

Chapter-Thirty: The Real Campers of Shallow Lake

945 48 2
By uninspiredachiever

**************************
"Poison Ivy," Val questions.

"Yes?" I answer, sitting down to check how the sign will look to everyone else.

"What does your brother think this morning?" She questions, crossing her arms.

I shrug, with a smug smile, "Relaxing before rehearsal." before fixing my attention back to Carlos' sign, "That looks perfect!"

Carlos nods in agreement, grinning proudly as he steps back to appreciate it.

EJ's brows furrow in guilt, "And does he know we called Channing?"

I shake my head, "Nope."

"I just feel bad," He admits, "..lying to Damian. He literally saved me this summer."

I wave it off, "EJ, it's fine. Let's just get everything settled, then I'll tell him."

"I don't know.." EJ panics.

"Elton John Caswell!" Val exclaims, as if trying to snap EJ out of it.

Shock crosses my face, completely taken aback, "What?!"

Carlos' eyes widen, "Wait, that's what EJ stands for?!"

Val's brows furrow, "Rocket Man." She reminds. "Wait, did you guys not know that?"

EJ scoffs a laugh, embarrassed, "They do now."

Carlos shrugs, "I always assumed you were, like, "Eric Junior."

"My dad's name is Cash." He reminds.

Carlos nods in realization, "That is on brand."

"How did I not know that?!" I exclaim, taken aback, "I thought you were just obsessed with I'm Still Standing."

EJ nods in approval that I remembered, "Can't be in my car without playing it."

Carlos nods, scoffing a laugh, "We listened to it 5 times on the way here."

Suddenly, the door opens, so I stand up next to EJ as everyone arrives.

"Morning, guys," He greets, "Come on in. We don't have much time."

"Uh," Kourtney observes, puzzled, "Where's Damian?"

"This isn't really rehearsal," I inform, confusing the group.

"Take a seat," Val instructs, showcasing the sign.

"Can we have everyone's attention, please?" Carlos chimes in.

"Thanks for coming in early, guys. We've been up all night." EJ explains.

"Look," Kourtney starts, pointing at herself, "This better be good, because in here, it's still last night."

"You guys," I begin to explain, "Yesterday was pretty intense. It seems like Corbin and Channing were trying to focus on a "main character," and I thought it best if we shift the attention onto all of us."

Carlos nods, "Yes! And I had a plan; it starts with five little letters." He dramatically announces.

"Allow me." Val insists, lifting the card to reveal the R. C. O. S. L. sign. "Watch what happens, fam!"

"Ri-cos-il"?" Gina reads, puzzled.

"No," Carlos corrects, rolling his eyes, "It's The Real Campers of Shallow Lake. The franchise I was always destined to join- I mean, you were."

I nod in agreement, grinning, "Basically, be the worst versions of yourself today."

"Oh," Ricky nods in realization, "That's why Damian's not here.

I nod, "Uh, yeah." in a 'duh' tone, playfully.

"Look, it's easy," EJ starts, "You know how normally we act like regular people, we pick up on social cues, and care about each other's feelings?"

"All of us?" Ricky sarcastically remarks, referring to Jet, who did not pick up on my discomfort yesterday.

Jet rolled his eyes, and we all reacted with the same astonished expression, but did not acknowledge it.

EJ uncomfortably clears his throat, "Now, that's over." He concludes.

Carlos nods, "Because the key to any great reality show is the three Bs: Bombshells, betrayals, and bitch slaps." The latter earned a shocked reaction from the crowd.

"Look," Kourtney starts, "I love the housewives
as much as anyone, but how are we gonna pull this off when we're real students, who don't have millions to burn and kids to blame?"

Jet raises his hand, "Can I be Team Kourtney on this?"

"No." I quickly dismiss, and he shrugs in defeat.

"Here's what we're doing," Carlos explains, pointing to the board, "There's the judgy one, the jilted ex, the one with the dark past, the crier, the one with the catchphrase, the one who's here for the wrong reasons, the shrink, the bad boy, the instigator, and the one everyone wants."

Val nods, "Mmm-hmm. It's a formula, and the formula works."

"Each of you has a role to play today." Carlos continues, and Val holds up the board with our Polaroid pictures.

Maddox was taken aback, "I'm sorry. Carlos, did you cast this?"

He chuckles proudly, pointing at her, "I'm back, baby." Carlos declares, and I clap in excitement.

"Isn't this a little tawdry?" Kourtney put forth.

"Was gonna say the same thing." Jet agrees.

Carlos chuckles sarcastically, "And that's why you, Kourt, get to be the judgy one." Everyone applauds, while Kourtney is flattered.

"But," Ricky chimes in, "Do we want to look like villains on TV?"

Carlos nods knowingly, "I thought you'd want to go sympathetic, which is why you get to be the jilted ex."

"Oh, good." He sarcastically acknowledges.

"Ashlyn, you've got a dark past." Carlos informs.

She shuts her eyes in admiration, "I'm dying. Yes. Guys, this is gonna be fun."

"Gadget," Carlos calls, "You're the crier. And, Gina.."

"Ooh," Gina chimes, "I think we've already established that I can't improvise."

"She's awful." Ashlyn remarks.

"I don't even have a comeback for that because I can't improvise." She sulks.

"I got you, boo." Carlos assures, "You're the one with the catchphrase. Just say the same thing all the time in different ways."

Gina smiles, "Okay. What's my phrase?

"Don't get me started," EJ informs

"Ooh!" She admires, nodding.

"EJ's here for the wrong reasons. Val's the shrink, Jet's the bad boy, and Bianca's the one everyone wants." Carlos informs, smiling proudly.

"Because, well, yesterday." I add, "Gotta give them more of it."

"And I will be the instigator." Carlos proudly concludes.

Kourtney scoffs a laugh, "I thought we were stretching for these parts."

He nods in approval, "Good. I want a lot of that today. So, I know that was a lot, but has everyone got all that? Good. 'Cause, there's more. We have four goals for the day. Someone needs to run out of here crying, someone needs to get slapped, someone needs to throw a drink at someone, and someone needs to get caught on a hot mic saying something scandalous. Any questions?"

Gina raises her hand, "Many questions."

"This is gonna put our documentary
on the map," I talk it up, "Get into it, guys."

"Start getting into character." Carlos instructs, "There's no time to lose, and many, many
People's Choice Awards to gain. Come on!"

Kourtney raises her hand, "Who am I supposed to judge first?" She sarcastically questions.

Carlos shrugs, "Who do you hate sharing a cabin with the most?" He prompts.

Slightly offended, she scoffs a laugh, "I love my girls."

Carlos points at Kourtney, "That's the energy we don't want today!"

"You can say something bad about me," I assure, "Like, make something up."

Kourtney shakes her head in disagreement, "The worst part about sharing a cabin with you, Bianca, is the fact that you use up all of the hot water before 8 am, in a 30-minute shower."

Jet huffs a laugh, "That's what it's like in our cabin, too, because of Carlos."

He and Kourtney share a laugh, while Carlos and I look at each other in shock over how friendly those two have been all morning.

"Is that a thing?" Carlos quietly questions.

I shrug, "I hope so."

*************************
"The one here for the wrong reasons," Ricky sarcastically starts, approaching me.

I nod, setting my water bottle down on the stage, "Yeah. I got major flashbacks, too."

"It's crazy," He agrees, sighing, "And it's funny, though. It hasn't even been a year since that, but it feels like we've known each other forever."

The corners of my mouth quirk up, "I know."

We just stared at each other for a moment, sharing a smile at how much things have changed.

"So," Ricky breaks the comfortable silence, "What's your character for this? Blanche?" He teasingly questions.

I shake my head, humming dismissively, "The only time that's my name is when Carlos says it. Besides that, Blanche is my mother."

Ricky nods along, eyes narrowed as he followed, "Ah, okay."

"What about you? Are you the guy who can't get a hug from Corbin Bleu?" I tease, crossing my arms.

He scoffs in realization, shrugging in defeat, "I can't believe he didn't hug me."

I playfully shake my head, "What was that about anyway?"

"Hey, guys," Jet earned the attention before Ricky could respond, walking toward us.

I offer a greeting smile, "Hi," my voice was high, almost sympathetic, because it is clear that he is nervous to be around everyone after yesterday.

Ricky tilted his chin up, "Hey." casually, but clearly still not over it.

"Carlos was just telling me about our characters," Jet grins, his eyes on me, "I guess you and I are dating?"

Ricky hums in fake amusement, with wide eyes, "Really?" sarcastically intrigued.

I nod enthusiastically, "Yeah. You know, after yesterday, just wanted Corbin and Channing to know that it wasn't weird."

"Fake dating?" Ricky enunciated as a way to get it through to me, "That's what you and I do best."

Jet's brows furrow, "What? What other time..in life would that ever come up?" He scoffs a laugh, puzzled.

Ricky and I glance at one another, both thinking of all the—truthfully, unnecessary—times we have pretended to date.

Instead of answering, I repeated what I told Jet last night, "We've been through a lot together."

"Okay," Jet uncomfortably dropped it, "Well, this time, Ricky, you're the ex."

"Jilted ex," I correct, "You're gonna have to start drama with me."

I know what Jet is doing; trying to prove to Ricky that he and I are on good terms, and I wasn't uncomfortable when he tried to kiss me yesterday. He was also provoking Ricky that he is playing my ex.

Ricky ignored him, looking at me, while huffing a laugh, "Us?" He sarcastically questions, as if it would be impossible.

"They're just not getting it." Carlos was ranting, more so to himself, as he walked on stage.

"What?" I question, earning his attention.

Carlos' eyes went wide upon noticing the three of us alone together, "The fake slap." He blurts.

Ricky hummed in consideration, "Want me to show them how it's done?" He suggests, motioning his hand up in Jet's direction.

"Oh, my.." Carlos blurts, with his arms out dismissively between them.

Shock crossed my face, "We're good."

Jet caught on quickly, after flinching in surprise, "Or I could show them." He suggests, shrugging confidently.

"Let's leave that to the ensemble!" Carlos raises his voice uncomfortably.

I lower my voice so it would only reach Carlos, "I think Jarred is purposely messing up so you talk to him."

My best friend playfully rolls his eyes and waves it off.

"Blanche, Richard," Carlos starts, with his hands on my and Ricky's backs, leading us off stage, "Why don't you guys go slowly break the news to Damie that we went behind his back, before Channing gets here?"

I gave Carlos a look, one that thanked him for breaking the discomfort that Ricky and Jet created. My best friend nodded you're welcome with wide eyes.

Ricky didn't say anything, just opened the door for me with a smile.

"I need moral support." I sarcastically remark, and he hums in acknowledgment.

****************************
I knocked on the door to the tune of Do You Want to Build a Snowman?

"Damie," I start, nervously grinning even though he cannot see, "Do you wanna build a snowman?"

Ricky playfully shook his head in shame, and I grin. 

Damian opened the door, wearing a knowing, dreadful look on his face, along with a white polo and khaki shorts.

"What did you do?" He questions, phone up to his ear.

"I didn't do anything!" I insist, laughing.

"What did she do?" in the same unamused, knowing tone, he asked Ricky.

I heard Kat's voice on the other side of the phone, loudly calling my name.

I gasp in excitement, snatching Damian's phone as I walk away, "Hello?!"

"Bianca!" She beamed, "I'm so proud of you, Anna!"

"Thank you! I miss you so much!"

"I miss you! How are you feeling being around Corbin Bleu?!" Her voice was teasing.

I huff a laugh, "It's intense."

She hummed, "I heard he's not very pleasant."

I scoff, "Unfortunately."

"Go yell at him for, by association, Zac Efron not really singing in the first movie!" She jokingly insists.

"I will definitely do that." We laugh, I then look over to find Damian's judgmental look, which caused me to assume Ricky told him the plan. "I think I'm about to get yelled at, so I gotta go." I playfully announce.

Kat chuckles gently, "Tell me all about it later! I love you."

"I love you-" Before I even had the chance to conclude, Damian snatched his phone back.

"I love you, and have to yell at my sister and her dumb friends." He playfully declared, and Kat wished us luck before hanging up.

"The real housewives of Shallow Lake?" Damian exclaims, brows furrowed in judgment.

I huff a laugh and cross my arms, "Who do you think came up with that?" I jokingly quiz.

"The same person who uses my TV to watch The Real Housewives every Wednesday." Referring to Carlos.

Ricky huffs a laugh, amused at the thought.

I glance over at him, "Damian watches it with Carlos and I."

My brother shrugs in protest.

"So, are you in?" Ricky questions.

"Of course, I'm in." Damian blurts, "But, if it gets too intense, I'm calling it off."

I nod in agreement, "Fine!"

"I can't believe you're up for this, Bianca," Damian points out, following us, "You always say you're a meant-for-Broadway actress, not TV." He raises his pitch to mock me, with jazz hands while glancing up.

"For Carlos." I remind, assuredly.

************************
Channing was there when we got back, and he told us to act normal and pretend that he is not there.

"Kourtney, Gina, Ashlyn, places for A Little Bit of You, please." Damian instructed, "Kill the lights, please." The ensemble complied with his request.

Up on stage, Ashlyn was miserable as Olaf, while Kourtney and Gina began the song.

After the dialogue, Kourtney paused just for the dramatic, "I'm so sorry, can we cut? Are you really gonna deliver your line like that?"

"If you wanna talk line readings," Gina looked into the camera dramatically, "Don't get me started."

Kourtney laughed sarcastically, throwing aside her script, "Or what? It's not like anyone is gonna believe we're younger anyway!" Gina then grabbed water to throw it on Kourtney.

Carlos and I were watching this from behind the curtain, impressed with how well they were fooling the cameraman. Meanwhile, Damian was behind us, disapproving of it all.

"This is the best day of my life!" Carlos beams, checking off the 'throw a drink' part of the list.

"Hey," Damian called, as Kourtney and Gina approached. He made sure Channing was busy, and thankfully, EJ was bragging to the camera, which bought us some time.

"That was a little too far," My brother points out, "The part about the audience not believing you're younger. Because that's not what the show is about. The whole point is when you're on that stage, you are the character, and it doesn't matter how different it is from the original."

"Oh, I didn't mean it like that," Kourtney assures.

"Damie," I dismiss, shaking my head, "Are you gonna get with this or not?"

"You want me to get with this?" He challenges, "I'll get with it."

Carlos nods in approval, "Yes, Damie!"

Damian shrugs, "I'm gonna go announce the next scene. 'Cause I'm with it." He sarcastically remarks.

I cross my arms, "I told you we should've left him out of it." I quietly remind Carlos, as Damian walked out onto the stage.

"Hey," Carlos gently dismisses, nudging my arm with his.

**********************
"Frozen's plot twist shocked everybody across the world," Damian began, on stage.

"Oh," Ashlyn raised her hand, grinning, "Because it showed that true love can be a family bond, not just romantic?"

"No," Damian dismisses, quickly pointing at her. "When Hans was revealed to be the villain,"

"Spoilers." I quietly remark, and Jet scoffs a laugh.

"It was such a good plot twist because of how charming Hans was, and how head over heels Anna was for him. But, we also believed he was for her. I'm just not getting that from you two. I'm getting the Anna is uncomfortable vibe."

I cross my arms, glaring, and if looks could kill.

This is what he meant by getting with it.

When Channing panned the camera onto me, I forced a smile, "I'm not uncomfortable. He's my-"

"Really?" Damian cut me off, "Because I'm picking up on the chemistry between you and Kristoff, and that's not supposed to happen until Act 2."

Ricky was drinking from a water bottle, and after practically choking due to Damian's words, he started to cough.

I roll my eyes at Damian's childish way of getting with it.

It seemed like Jet began to grow annoyed, he took my hand in his. "I'm her boyfriend, actually. Since last night." He smirks.

"And we're happy." I grin, looking at Jet, who is smiling wide.

Damian scoffs a laugh, "I'm just as convinced as Jack was, when Rose said she loved Cal."

"Can we just start the scene now, please, Director?" I blurt, tone fumed.

"Sure." Damian sends a mocking smile, before turning the script. "Page 24. Hans of the Southern Isles. Bianca, you basically just stand there and look at him lovingly."

"That won't be hard!" I grin.

My brother tilts and shakes his head, with narrowed eyes, "Okay," silently.

While Val began the track, Carlos and Kourtney were motioning to the board, signaling for Jet to act as the bad boy.

"Wait, don't go," Jet took my hand, starting the song, "You don't have to be embarrassed- stop!" He called, so Val stopped the track.

"I see you looking at him." He dramatically blurted, not as subtle as everyone else.

Thankfully, I'm the meant-for-Broadway actress here.

I faked a confused look, smiling, "I'm looking at you, babe."

"Babe!" He shouts, walking away, "That's what you used to call him!" Jet dramatically pointed at Ricky.

Ricky raised his hand, "Actually, it was HoneyB." The stupid nickname he made up on opening night. He sent a wink my way, and I couldn't help but smile.

Jet looked between us, "Fine," He scoffed, throwing down his script as he walked off stage to leave The Barn.

My eyes widen, with real shock on my face, while everybody else was admiring how dramatic this was, but I felt that Jet took things too far.

Suddenly, there was a loud squeal coming from behind the curtain, which earned Channing's attention. It was Maddox pretending to cry, "It is so hard to see my.." She choked on her own words, "..man with another lady." She stormed off, purposely bumping into my shoulder.

I glanced off uncomfortably, realizing that I forgot to tell Carlos that Jet and Maddox are siblings.

When she reached the other side of the curtain, Maddox smiled at me, proud of herself. I nod in approval.

"Ugh, what a baby!" Kourtney began to fake judge, earning Channing's attention, "And Jet needs to stop storming out of here because he can't handle the steam coming from his new girlfriend and her ex."

I shut my eyes, shaking my head, as I walk off stage, trying not to laugh when I hear Kourtney pretend to slap Carlos, and his over-acting for show.

**************************
"I'm confused," Ricky starts, approaching me backstage, "Is Jet coming back, or.."

I shrug, "I don't know."

When I glanced over, I noticed Damian approaching, "Maybe ask my brother, he clearly knows everything." I sarcastically remark.

Damian crosses his arms, shrugging, "You wanted drama."

"That was too far!"

"All of this is too far." He shot back.

"Guys," Ricky chimes in, "This isn't supposed to be turning us against each other-"

"Okay," Carlos unknowingly interrupts, "Channing's in a ten-one." He read the confusion on our faces, "That means peeing in Hollywood. How are we all doing?"

Ricky shrugs, "Jilted."

"Fantastic." I sarcastically reply.

"Damian?" Carlos checks in.

He shrugs, "Dramatic."

I roll my eyes, "Clearly." I mumble. "Also, is anyone gonna get Jet back? We were supposed to go over Southern Isles today."

"We were supposed to go over a lot of things today." Damian corrects, "But, instead, we're here." I roll my eyes.

"Okay," Carlos blurts, wide-eyed, "We will deal with the sibling intervention later. Instead of Southern Isles, let's go over What Do You Know About Love? Val has allowed you guys backstage, this scene is too intense for just the stage." He smiles proudly.

Disgust crosses Damian's face, walking away in disappointment, while Ricky and I shared a confused yet amused look.

It was a good thing my brother walked out before the performance. Ricky and I may have gone too far with the flirting, but Carlos wanted it to be over the top anyway. We had a good time performing and messing around backstage, that it was almost like we had forgotten it was all for Channing to gather dramatic footage.

Ricky and I finished the performance on stage, under bright lights as we stood close together, grinning and so engrossed in the moment that, if it weren't for Channing's voice beckoning, we probably would have kissed.

"Perfect." The cameraman called, startling Ricky and me apart. The crowd was stunned and amazed.

Carlos was cheering loudly, before motioning for Ricky and me to join him backstage.

"That was incredible, you guys!" He praises, clapping proudly.

Ricky and I share a smile, nodding appreciatively. In the wake of that passionate performance, we felt a little uneasy, for some reason. Maybe because of how heated it was.

"Now, it is time to fulfill the last thing on our list!" Carlos announces.

"Which is?" I question, since he paused for the dramatic.

Footsteps signaled Damian's arrival, perfect timing. "What did I miss?" He questions.

I shake my head quickly, "Nothing." He knew I was lying.

"All good." Ricky blurts, nodding.

Confusion crosses my brother's face, "What?"

"Nothing." Carlos assures, thankfully, more convincing. "We were just about to move on to the last thing on our list."

My best friend turns over the small board in showcase, "Get caught saying something scandalous! Ricky, you're with me to talk about how agonizing it is to see Bianca with Jet."

Ricky uncomfortably glances at me, so I offer an awkward smile.

"And Blanche," Carlos continues, "After Channing films us, you'll talk about how much you secretly love Ricky. Let's go." He motions for us to get into places, and Ricky follows him out.

"That won't be too hard." Damian mocks what I said earlier.

I roll my eyes, unable to fight the amused smile on my face, "I'm literally going to kill you."

While ensuring that we were out of sight, my brother and I stood behind the curtain, so that we could watch Carlos and Ricky.

Channing acted as if he were packing up, but was secretly watching Ricky and Carlos as they sat upstage, and he started to record them once he heard gossip...

"Ricky, today must have been awful for you!" Carlos was over-acting, "Seeing Bianca with Jet. Everyone senses the tension between you and Bianca, especially after that performance you just did."

Ricky huffs a sarcastic laugh, "Heart-wrenching, honestly. She was mine first, you know. And that performance, it just made me realize how badly I messed up.." There was truth behind his words, and we all heard it.

Damian glanced over at me, puzzled, wondering what performance they were talking about, since he left before 'What Do You Know About Love?'. But I kept my soft eyes on Ricky, who then stormed off, and pushed Channing's camera away to go into the back room.

Carlos faked a gasp, after a shocked Channing fixed his camera.

"Bianca, you heard that?!" My best friend exclaims, motioning for me to join him onstage.

I wanted to burst out laughing because of his over-acting.

I nod, sitting next to him, "Yeah, that was intense."

Carlos glanced over to make sure Channing is filming, "And how do you feel?"

I shrug, "My brother was right. I was uncomfortable when Jet tried to kiss me. Don't get me wrong, I really do like him, and I think it's just because he's so much like Ricky. I feel selfish, because, during our good times, I wished I was experiencing that with Ricky. After all, despite how alike they are..he's not Ricky." My voice was quiet at the latter.

Carlos' eyes were wide, knowing that I was no longer acting. I glanced up, only to find Ricky standing in the doorway, meaning that he heard the entire thing. Our eyes met, and he also knew that I was not acting.

"I was filling the void Ricky left, and I know that he knows how that feels." I add, mentioning how Ricky was with Lily. We share a small smile.

"I have to talk to Jet." I blurt as real guilt washes over me. When I walked away, I pushed Channing's camera away as Ricky did.

"Man!" The cameraman exclaims, growing annoyed, "Those two really are perfect together."

Ricky smiled proudly at me, and I grin.

**************************
I looked everywhere for Jet, only to find him on a bench, in a secret garden, behind bushes outside.

"Hey," I greet, approaching him.

"Hi." He offers quickly, averting his gaze.

I sit next to him, before taking a deep breath, "I wanna apologize..for everything. I'm sorry that I made you feel like you could kiss me, I shouldn't have flirted with you."

"I like you, Bianca," Jet blurts, "I really do. You've made camp more enjoyable for me. I really thought I was gonna hate it here, then you..ran into me." He huffs a laugh, smiling at the memory.

I offer a sad smile, "You don't even really know me, though."

"Sure I do." He protests, shrugging.

I tilt my head knowingly, "You've never asked me questions like you were interested. What's my real name?" I challenge.

Shock crosses his face, "Real name?" in disbelief.

"When's my birthday? And did you even know that my mom is married to the robotics teacher at my school?" I continue challenging, not in a taunting way. I was just trying to get it through to Jet.

He glances down in embarrassment, "No...I didn't. Look, I'm sorry, okay? This is the first time I've done something like this, I'm not really allowed to date back home."

Guilt crosses my face, "I'm so sorry, Jet. You're going to find someone deserving of the love that you're trying to give to me. Just make sure you get to know them first. Even if it's the last person you expect. But, it's not me, Jet. And, you said this was your first time doing something like this? Well, I'm on my millionth try, and I'm really trying not to mess it up, but I feel like I have been-"

"With Ricky?" Jet assumes, brows furrowed.

"And you deserve that, too." I blurt, ignoring his annoyed observation, "You're going to find it."

He nods appreciatively to hide his annoyance, "Yeah. Thanks."

"Come back to rehearsal with me?" I suggest, smiling.

Jet forces a tight-lipped smile, "Sure."

***************************
As Channing packed up, he told us that we were a mess in an award-winning way, and tried to convince—for the millionth time—that he and Corbin Bleu are close friends.

He shook Damian's hand, "Channing out." The cameraman announced, walking out of The Barn.

Carlos made sure Channing left, before turning around to point at us, "Congratulations, everyone. We did it!" We cheer.

"Thanks to you, Carlos!" I grin.

Val nods in agreement, "Thanks for being our fearless leader, Carlos. You have a very weird gift."

Carlos shut his eyes, accepting the praise with a bow, as we chant his name.

Soon, Channing came rushing through the doors once again, "Children, Director, I forgot about the group photo! Can't do publicity at the Mouse House without a super fierce cast pic. Am I right?"

We grew confused, judging him.

"It's Frozen time." He grins, waving a Frozen sign.

Channing instructed us to sit upstage, giving us all small props for the picture. He held up his camera, "Smile! Harder, harder. Like you're angry happy."

"Thanks again!" Channing finally concluded, after snapping multiple photos, "Great day, you guys. The Bleu Man's gonna be so happy. I can call him that, 'cause we're close. Peace!" He walks out.

"Well," Ashlyn sighs, "That couldn't have gone longer."

This caused a small argument to break out between some of the campers.

"Guys," Damian earns the attention, "This is exactly why I didn't wanna do this."

I cross my arms, "Everything worked out, Damian." I protest, growing annoyed.

Val nods, "She's right. This is all a natural response to a day of high tensions and intense emotions, so let's just walk it off, take a deep breath.."

"Val," Ashlyn interrupts, "Maybe now's not the time for your psychoanalysis. Read the room." She forces a chuckle, and Val grows confused.

Maddox approached Ashlyn, quietly saying something to her that not many of us could hear, but it caused Ashlyn to have a loud reaction, forcing a laugh.

"I'm sorry. What?!" She exclaims, "That's..."

"Okay," Jet dismisses.

"I have a boyfriend!" Ashlyn blurts, defensive.

"Can you just stop telling everyone who they are and how they should be?" Jet snaps.

"Oh, you're talking to me now?" Maddox shot back.

He walks away, "Forget it. You're just gonna yell."

"Yeah, that's right, Jet." She shouts, following him, "Make me the bad guy, once again."

"Did I miss an episode of our reality show?" Ricky sarcastically questions, "Did these two know each other before camp?"

"About that.." I mutter, earning shocked looks.

"Look, Maddie," Jet snaps, "I'm here, aren't I?
I'm trying."

"Yeah, only because you were forced to come here after you literally got expelled from school! Or are we just pretending that didn't happen?" Maddox pressed.

"You have never let me explain that." He insists.

"Okay, then why don't you also explain why you didn't show up to my 15th birthday party? Explain why I lose all of my confidence
when you're around me, and heck, Jet, why don't you explain why you told Mom and Dad
about me and Madison when you found her texts in my phone? Explain that." Maddox snaps.

Mom and Dad. That caught everybody off-guard; they shared the same shocked expressions. Jet stormed out. I was also stunned, finding out that he outed his sister.

"Mom and Da.." Ashlyn blurts, "Wait. What?!"

Realization dawns on Carlos, and disgust crosses his face, "I have done a terrible thing!"

"I need to sit down." Ricky blurts, completely shocked, "I need to lie down."

"Did you see that?" Damian protests, "That is exactly why we shouldn't have done any of this-"

"No," I dismiss, "Their problems clearly started before today. Why do you care so much if we do this?!"

"I tried to get with it," Damian starts, his tone serious, "Do you really believe acting like this on camera will be good for your futures?"

"Uh, yeah," Ashlyn shrugs, "Because that's what viewers wanna see."

Carlos nods, "It's what gets you famous."

"Look," Damian starts, "I care about all of you guys too much to let you humiliate yourselves. You don't understand the weight of what you're doing, and how it's going to affect your future."

"That's not your decision to make." I snap, growing annoyed.

"All I want is what's best for you." He insists.

My annoyance soon turned into anger, "We all signed up for this, you weren't even supposed to be here!"

Damian was taken aback, but he scoffed a sarcastic laugh to mask it, "You want me to leave so you can ruin your life? I'll pack up and go."

"You're being like Dad." My voice was quiet, tone harsh to match my words.

I could tell that this was affecting him, he could barely hide it this time, "That doesn't work anymore. It did when you were 10-"

"Then stop becoming more and more like him." I shot back, tone fumed.

I went too far, and regretted my words as soon as I said them. My brother couldn't hide the hurt at all this time. Damian turned around to walk out of The Barn. I shut my eyes in regret.

Everybody was completely shocked, jaws practically on the floor. They all began to chat quietly about how I went too far, but Carlos was quick to dismiss them and defend me.

I opened my tearful eyes as Ricky approached, "Come on," He soothes, leading me out of The Barn.

*******************
I approached the music director's cabin where Damian is staying, too embarrassed to even knock on the door.

I shut my eyes, taking a deep breath as I build up the courage, before finally knocking on the door. I wasn't surprised when I didn't get a response.

"Damian," I had to fight back tears, "I didn't mean a word of what I said. I'm so, so, so sorry. I already told everyone that I made a mistake, and that you're nothing like Dad." I blurted out.

"I was just.." I sat down, back against the door, "Saying shit I didn't mean because I was mad. Damie, the male figure in my life that most people have in a dad, is what I have in you. And that sometimes makes me forget that you're just my brother, and are carrying the weight of a parent that I put on you. I'm so sorry, Damie." My voice broke as tears escaped.

My breathing trembled and I shut my tearful eyes, still waiting for him to open the door, "You're nothing like Dad. All of that out there, that was me acting like him. I'm so sorry. Please, please, please forgive me."

"Go away, Anna." The humor in his voice made me smile and quickly stand up.

Damian finally opened the door, and pulled me into a hug. I immediately embraced him back, as he holds my head.

"Thank you for that, Bianca. I forgive you, and know that you didn't mean it. I love you so much." He pulls away, "You're also nothing like Dad, I promise. Look, there's a saying that you shouldn't mix family and business, and this... it's your future, your job, I shouldn't hav-"

"No, Damie," I quietly dismiss, "I'm so happy you're here. I don't think that I would've had a good time if you would've left. You are literally the best director ever. Everyone back there," I motion towards The Barn, "Loves you so much. You took a chance on us. They literally attacked me for being mean to you back there."

He huffs a laugh at the latter, and I grin.

"And," I went on, "I promised them that I would retire that untrue thing I've been saying to you whenever I don't get my way, about you being like Dad. And I promise you I will never say that again."

"I understand why you say it," He assures, "You're angry at him,"

"But I should never take it out on you," I interrupt, "You're literally my hero."

Damian smiles, taken aback, "Really?"

"Yes!" I confirm, nodding. He brings me into the hug.

***************************
I owed it to my brother to help him out with the musical, to go over every last script and note to make sure everything is perfect. As I went back into The Barn to gather everything we needed, EJ walked in.

"How's everything with Damian?" He questions, anxiously awaiting, "Is he quitting?"

"No," I assure, his shoulders drop in relief. "Everything's completely ok now. I'm actually gonna help him go over the script and some notes, and stuff." I motion to the papers I am collecting from the director's table.

"Hey," I began again, "Did you talk to Maddox? I couldn't find her."

"She's okay. She doesn't really like to talk about this stuff." EJ assures.

My eyes narrow in suspicion, wondering why he has been so down all day, "What about you, EJ? Is everything ok?"

He sighs, "You know me so well, it's kind of annoying."

I nod, "I have this thing where I can feel other people's emotions... I think it's called empathy." I tease.

EJ waves it off, huffing a laugh.

"I'm messing with you!" I assure, "But, yes, I do know you very well, Elton John." I enunciate his name in shock.

EJ huffs a laugh, tilting his head down slightly as if greeting me, "Poison Ivy,"

I shake my head, with an amused smile, "I can't believe we dated for so long, and I never knew your name is Elton John."

He shrugs, "I can't believe we dated for so long, and I never knew that you had camping skills, Poison Ivy." EJ enunciated the nickname.

I chuckle gently, "Communication really isn't anyone's strong suit over here, is it?"

EJ shakes his head, sighing, "Unfortunately not. I actually came in here to look for Gina, but I'm glad I found you, because I don't know how to tell her.."

My brows furrow, "Tell her what?"

"Remember how I was supposed to take a gap year, and my dad was ok with it?" He questions.

I nod, "Yeah,"

"Well," He scoffs, "I got a letter from my dad this morning. Apparently, he's not okay with it anymore, so he's sending me to the Caswell Success Training School... in Saint Louis."

My eyes widen as shock crosses my face.

"I have to figure out a way to show him that I can be successful without going to the school."

"EJ, no matter what role you've gotten, you always blow the audience away. So, I know that you're gonna be the best damn Sven anyone has ever seen! Not only that, you're gonna make the documentary audience swoon."

The corners of his mouth quirk up in a grin, "Thanks, Bianca. I hope you're right."

I shake my head in shame, "I take back what I said about your dad, he is very cruel."

EJ sighs, nodding, "Communication and having good fathers, not our strong suit." He sarcastically points out.

I nod in agreement, eyes wide in horror, "Yeah. We could start a club."

We share a laugh, and then I finally ask, "So, why haven't you told Gina? This is something she'd understand."

"I wanted to tell her earlier, but she was so excited about her mom moving back to Salt Lake." He scoffs, shaking his head in shame over his actions, "I don't know why I mess up every relationship I'm in."

"EJ," I dismiss, "We weren't good for each other, Nini was a rebound, and you just love too much that your heart doesn't realize the difference."

He huffs a laugh after being called out, shrugging in consideration.

"But with Gina," I continue, smiling, "You have something good. I've never seen either of you light up like you do when you're around each other. This is Gina's first relationship, and things haven't worked out for you in the past, but don't run away from her, because she is just as scared."

He nods along, "You're right. And... I wanna tell her that I love her."

I smile, "Do it. There's no doubt that she feels the same way."

He nods appreciatively, smiling, "Thank you for this talk, Bianca. You and Damian have literally saved me this summer."

"It's what we do best." I shrug, grinning.

There was a creak in the door, which caused our heads to turn; only to find Channing in the hall behind the barn doors, recording our entire conversation. He did not say a word, only left in a rush. EJ and I look at each other, we both have the same surprised expression on our faces.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

771 18 16
Cressida Kormos never really expected much to happen in her senior year, but things seemed to be looking up for three reasons: - (1) EJ got a n...
50K 992 16
Ricky Bowen and Nini Salazar-Roberts have hated each other since the day they met, much to the disklike of their friends. If they hate each other so...
16.9K 295 28
Junior Year: What happens when a good girl Nini Salazar-Roberts moves to SLC and goes to the famous EHS? She meets Ricky Bowen, a bad boy, he dates G...
32.7K 690 23
"i love the way you get me but correct me if i'm wrong , this is not a love song " In Which Two teens with an unresolved past try out for the schoo...