Haunted Hearts

By BritCYancey

After losing three fiancés in tragic accidents over the past six years, Lady Elphi Matson knows three things... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
26
27
28

25

313 37 1
By BritCYancey

Elphi stared at her reflection in the cheval mirror Rufus had surprised her with earlier that week, feeling like she was seeing herself for the first time in over six years.

The emerald silk gown Madame Morrissey had fashioned surpassed everything Elphi wished it might be.

Ruched emerald gauze formed the sleeves, with the left covered in cream-colored roses from shoulder to bosom.

Embroidered epaulets formed the square neckline, edged with a band of delicate gold lace that reminded Elphi of dripping wisteria and revealed a flirtatious amount of bosom, which drew the eye to the gold embroidery flowing down the bodice.

The front of the skirt fell to the floor in a graceful emerald column, but the sides were embellished by deep frills that formed a panel. Two bouffant puffs below the waist, trimmed along the edge with dainty gold lace and a double frilled ruche, created the bustle and long train.

Elphi had never owned an evening gown like it, and she couldn't wait to see Rufus's reaction.

"Darling," Rufus called from the foyer, as though he'd sensed she was thinking of him, "are you sure you don't need help? You've been up there for ages."

"I'll be down in a moment," she answered, pressing a hand to her stomach to still the swarm of butterflies fluttering around.

Her heart hammered so fiercely she swore the lace edging on her dress trembled with every beat.

Excitement and nervousness coursed through her veins, but Elphi was unsure if it stemmed from being moments away from Rufus seeing her in her new gown or because she'd decided to tell him she loved him tonight.

The pervading sense of doom, which she'd been unable to shake since confessing her feelings in Rufus's study, had steadily intensified over the past few weeks.

Elphi had refused to let Rufus out of her sight, regardless of his protestations or assurances he wouldn't be in danger, and had accompanied him on all his investigations and outings because if catastrophe was bound to strike, she preferred it happened to them both.

And her strategy must have worked because when Elphi began dressing for the ball, after a moment of thinking something didn't feel quite right, she realized the overwhelming sense of imminent foreboding had vanished.

She'd been tempted to throw open the bedroom door and shout out her love to Rufus, where he waited for her in the foyer. But caution—and the fact she stood in her undergarments—had bid her hold her tongue a while longer to ensure the feelings of anxiety didn't return, and by the time she was fully dressed, Elphi knew with surety that her fear was gone.

Quickly, she donned her mother's pearl necklace and matching earrings, tucked the feather and pearl comb in her hair, pulled on her ivory elbow-length gloves, then gave herself one last scrutinizing look before leaving the bedroom.

"Where are you, Rufus?" She asked, carefully peering over the banister until she spotted the top of his head half hidden from view.

"Precisely where you told me to stand."

"Are you facing the door, and are your eyes closed?"

Rufus shuffled his feet into position, then chuckled, "Yes."

"All right," Elphi murmured, walking midway down the staircase. "Don't look until I tell you." She quickly rearranged the placement of her train on the stairs, gripped the railing, and focused her gaze on Rufus as she said, "You can look now."

She wasn't sure what sort of reaction she expected from him, but one thing was sure—it exceeded all her imaginings.

He slowly turned, his lips quirked in her favorite boyish grin of his. But the instant he saw her, he stared as though he were a blind man seeing a sunrise for the first time.

"You are beyond breathtaking," Rufus said, his voice full of awe.

Elphi smiled and continued down the staircase as a blush warmed her cheeks.

At the last step, Rufus gathered her close and stole her breath with a passionate kiss that left her wishing they could cancel their plans and stay home.

"How brief of an appearance could we get away with making," Rufus murmured, his voice a husky, low rumble, "without it being unforgivably rude, do you think?"

"If it's the crush I imagine it will be, forty-five minutes ought to suffice."

Rufus groaned, "That's thirty minutes too long."

"We may be able to leave after one dance," she whispered, draping her arms around his neck and pulling him close.

But Roderick chose that exact moment to intrude, reminding her of tonight's secret objective: find Roderick a new woman to love. Preferably one unwed so as not to repeat the predicament he was in already.

So Elphi delivered a chaste peck to her husband's waiting lips, then gave him a gentle nudge in the ribs when a predatory growl escaped him. "Behave yourself," she quietly chuckled.

"I could have sworn I locked the door," he muttered. "Perhaps I'll have a portcullis installed; that would stop him from intruding at the wrong moment."

"Oh, I say, Elphi," Roderick said, a grin curling his lips, "you look stunning in that gown."

"Thank you." Elphi turned to her husband, "We are not installing a portcullis."

"You ought to have a new wardrobe made in that color."

Elphi mumbled a thank you to Rufus as he placed her matching cloak around her shoulders and arched a brow at her brother. "An entire wardrobe in green?"

Roderick shrugged as he opened the door and walked outside toward the waiting carriage; Rufus and Elphi followed. "It's a damned sight better than black or those other dreary colors you've been wearing."

"Since when are blue, orange, or red considered dreary?" She asked before climbing into the carriage.

Roderick settled into his seat and gave her a pointed look. "When they barely resemble any of those colors you mentioned due to an obscene amount of black in their ghastly hues."

Elphi smiled and gripped Rufus's hand as the vehicle rolled into motion. "Perhaps you're right."

Roderick blinked several times. "Pardon?"

"You heard me."

Roderick looked at Rufus, "Did I hear her say I was right?"

"You did."

"There was a perhaps preceding it," Elphi said, holding back a giggle. "I did not state it as fact."

But Roderick ignored her and, with a look of triumph on his face, murmured, "This might be one of the best nights of my life."

Swelling orchestral music reached Rufus, Elphi, and Roderick as their carriage pulled to a stop on the gravel drive of Foxney Manor, then slowly grew to a crescendo as they exited and joined the crowd making their way up the steps.

The imposing grey stone building cast a sinister, spine-tingling presence ablaze as it was with the glow from thousands of oil lamps.

Rufus's gaze traveled from window to window, silently counting the ghostly faces watching the living spectacle below.

"Any sign of Reggie and Rosalind?" Elphi asked, rising on tip-toe.

Rufus hesitated, scanning the crowd. "No,... they must have already made it through."

"You didn't mention they would be here," Roderick murmured, shuffling up the step behind them as they inched closer to the entrance.

"Didn't I?" Rufus frowned.

Roderick shook his head but kept his lips firmly clenched.

Rufus grunted and shrugged, then turned to Elphi as they crossed the threshold and murmured, "We'll dance until we find Reggie and Rosalind, then we're leaving."

Elphi grinned and nodded as a footman divested her of her cloak.

Beyond the foyer, it became apparent that no expense was spared to ensure the Raycraft ball was the most lavish event of the season. Flower garlands and swags of rose-colored satin decorated archways and banisters everywhere the eye could see.

Rooms and hallways overflowed with people sparkling with jewels and dressed in their finery, though as they wended their way through the crush of people en route to the ballroom, Rufus breathed a quiet sigh of relief to note the living outnumbered the ghosts.

The trio stepped into the opulent ballroom as the orchestra on the second-story balcony struck up a new waltz. Rufus, Elphi, and Roderick stuck to the room's perimeter as the middle became a colorful sea of men and women in swirling taffeta and silk.

"Ah, Treadway," Lord Raycraft called out, a wide grin splitting his face as he and Lady Raycraft made the rounds.

Rufus pasted on a smile and made the requisite pleasantries, wondering why he'd agreed to attend this infernal event.

He could count on one hand the number of times he'd enjoyed the dancing and obligatory polite conversation. But with one look at Elphi in her gown and the excitement and joy emanating from her in palpable waves, he knew this one would be different.

This would be the first ball he'd be at with his wife—easily the most beautiful woman in attendance—and if he only danced with her, the worst thing anyone could say would be the truth, Lord and Lady Treadway were madly in love.

"There's Sir Walter and his new bride," Lady Raycraft loudly murmured to her husband, prodding him as she cast an apologetic smile. "If you'll excuse us?"

Rufus, Elphi, and Roderick nodded and murmured in unison, sighing with relief once they'd left.

"What an unpleasant man," Roderick grumbled. "I don't know why I agreed to come with you tonight."

"Because you had nothing better to do."

Roderick scoffed. "Sleeping is infinitely better than subjecting myself to..."

Elphi nudged her brother when he didn't finish his sentence, "To what?"

"Excuse me, will you?"

Rufus and Elphi shared a look as Roderick left them without another word and watched him wend his way around dancing couples toward a pretty brunette struggling to extract herself from her dance partner.

The two came to a standstill, creating a small scene on the dance floor and a hazard for the other twirling couples. A brittle smile curled the man's lips until the woman said something that made his face darken in anger, and he pulled her closer, attempting to sweep her into dancing once more.

But she refused to move and tugged at her wrist held firmly in his clasp, a look of panic crossing her face just as Roderick tapped the man on his left shoulder, giving him no choice but to allow Roderick to cut in.

"Do you think that's her?" Elphi leaned close and whispered, her gaze focused on Roderick dancing.

"Who?"

"The woman Roderick's secretly in love with; he seems to know her."

"No, I don't."

Elphi flicked a hopeful glance at Rufus. "You sound awful certain about that."

"I am."

"How do you know?"

"For one, she isn't a married woman, and Roderick's secret love is. Your brother just enjoys playing the hero for damsels in distress," Rufus murmured as a smile tugged at the corner of his lips. "Why do you look so pleased?"

"Because this is very promising... I hoped Roderick would find a more suitable lady to fall in love with tonight. She might be the one."

"Suitable as in unwed?"

"Precisely," Elphi murmured. "Who is she? I don't believe I've seen her before."

"Lady Winifred McMillan... the heiress of Harmour Estate," Rufus whispered, leading Elphi onto the dance floor. "Her father was one of my first clients."

"Haunted?"

"Both Lord McMillan and his estate," Rufus quietly said, taking her in his arms and guiding her in a graceful waltz.

They danced in silence for a moment, simply enjoying the music and holding one another close as they glided around the room, artfully avoiding other couples who lacked the same prowess.

"Why didn't you tell me you were such an accomplished dancer, husband?" Elphi asked a moment later. "Henceforth, I demand you dance with me every night."

Rufus laughed.

"You think I jest?"

"No, I'm merely wondering if this is a bid for you to expand your wardrobe with more evening gowns."

Elphi giggled, then leaned in close. "A lady never passes up an opportunity to amass more gowns, dear husband."

"I knew it."

"However," she sighed as her eyes glowed brightly with adoration, and she gifted him a warm, dazzling smile, "on occasion, nightclothes and moonlight at home will suffice in place of evening gowns and ballrooms."

Rufus's hand at her waist tightened as he fought the urge to lean in and kiss her. Instead, he pacified himself by pulling her closer than society allowed and whispering, "I love you."

"I love you too."

His heart gave a funny little kick against his ribs, and the music and surroundings faded away until it was just the two of them dancing. He might not have believed he'd heard Elphi correctly if not for the way she gazed at him and the radiant smile on her face.

"You're no longer afraid?" He hoarsely whispered, his voice thick with barely restrained emotion.

Elphi shook her head, "Not anymore."

"I'm going to get some refreshments," Roderick muttered as he tapped Rufus on the shoulder. "Would either of you two care for anything?"

Rufus blinked several times, surprised to find he and Elphi stood in the middle of the dance floor, and the orchestra played a new song.

"No, thank you," Rufus and Elphi murmured in unison without breaking eye contact.

Roderick hesitated, then muttered unintelligibly under his breath and left.

"Shall we dance another?" Elphi quietly asked, cupping his jaw and smiling. "People are beginning to stare."

Rufus tightened his hold around her waist, not caring that their proximity was scandalous, and worked at maneuvering them toward the terrace doors where they might gain some privacy.

They were halfway there, narrowly avoiding a collision with another couple when he spotted a ghostly blonde head of hair walking through the crowd before it suddenly vanished.

Rufus's steps faltered, his heart slammed painfully against his ribs, blood rushed in his ears, and his stomach dropped to his toes.

He had to be mistaken.

"What is it?" Elphi asked, frowning as he guided her in a less than graceful turn to try and catch sight of the ghost once more.

"Reggie," Rufus choked out, feeling like he'd been kicked in the chest as he stared at the confused ghostly face of his brother-in-law.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

126 20 10
Untold truths that must not be told. Over the centuries he had kept the truth away from her. For her safety and peace. He would choose her peace ove...
107K 8.5K 43
Victoria Fawson desperately needs answers about her father's death. When she visits the Maitland Manor to discover those answers, she finds only secr...
2.3K 340 39
Three estranged friends reunite in a mysterious castle in France, where darkness awaits and nothing is as it seems. ~~~~ There's something wrong with...
1.4M 22.8K 20
Seventeen year-old spirit medium Emily Chambers has a problem. Actually, she has several. As if seeing dead people isn't a big enough social disadvan...