Haunted Hearts

By BritCYancey

After losing three fiancés in tragic accidents over the past six years, Lady Elphi Matson knows three things... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28

20

348 36 3
By BritCYancey

After Rufus had Elphi in only her chemise and bloomers, he glanced around the room searching for Percy, Fitz, and Bradford before she dropped the corset to the floor and turned to him.

The three ghosts hadn't been around much since their outing to Kernwith Hold, though whether it was from witnessing his kiss with Elphi or the conversation in the carriage that they'd taken a significant interest in, he wasn't sure.

But what he did know was that he'd enjoyed having Elphi more to himself and dreaded the thought that they might materialize at an inopportune moment should this be heading where it seemed to be.

Rufus swallowed, and his hands rose and cradled Elphi's face of their own volition. Threat of ghostly interruptions or not, how could he be expected to stand near the woman he was falling more in love with every minute and not touch or hold her?

But he wasn't falling in love with her; he silently corrected himself. He'd already been three-quarters of the way there before ever laying eyes on her the day of Lady Sanham's séance.

His heart pounded, beating a now-familiar chaotic rhythm against his ribs when Elphi's hands lifted with agonizing slowness to rest lightly on his chest.

"I'm feeling very underdressed compared to you, husband," she whispered, smiling as she tugged at the lapels of his jacket.

"I shall rectify that immediately, wife," He chuckled and all but tore the damned thing off, then tossed it aside without caring where it landed. His necktie, socks, and boots were next, followed by his trousers.

Standing before Elphi in his shirt and drawers, which he'd kept on to show he was fair-minded since she also wore two garments, Rufus held her gaze, and the air changed, igniting into something that was tangibly thick with desire. "Better?"

She swallowed convulsively and nodded.

Closing the short distance he'd inadvertently put between them while undressing, Rufus cradled the back of her head with one hand and allowed his other to drift to the base of her throat. Her pulse fluttered beneath his touch, and his heart thumped in answer.

Elphi's hands drifted to his waist and slipped beneath his shirt in search of the bare flesh of his torso. The muscles clenched involuntarily beneath her palms. Holding her gaze, Rufus lowered his head, watching with bated breath until their lips met in an unhurried exploration that thrilled and tortured his senses.

A soft mewling sound escaped Elphi, and she clutched at his waist, making his heart kick against his ribs. Emotions flooded his entire being when her mouth melded perfectly with his, and passion flared to life between them.

Rufus pulled her closer with one arm around her waist, and his left moved to cup her jaw, angling her mouth to fit more perfectly against his and allow him to drink deeply of her lips.

He then hauled Elphi into his arms and carried her to their bed, only breaking their heated kiss to douse the lamp and close the curtains around the bed to deter any ghosts from interrupting.

Elphi floated through the following three days, feeling like her world was bursting with sunshine and happiness. Colors seemed brighter, flowers were more fragrant, and all her other senses were more alive than they'd been in years. Possibly her entire life.

It was thrilling. And terrifying.

And it was only made bearable because Rufus seemed to be suffering a similar affliction—which she wouldn't have known had Roderick not pointed it out after arriving unannounced and joining them for lunch.

Memories of the passionate nights and mornings she'd shared with her husband filled her mind, and the fork fell from her hand, snapping her back to the present when it clattered against her plate.

Blinking several times, Elphi blushed and delicately cleared her throat as she glanced at Roderick to see if he'd noticed.

He was still yammering away about Rufus's abnormally sunny disposition and devoting his attention to the mountain of food on his plate, proving he wasn't paying attention to her.

But when Elphi's gaze snagged on her husband—because she couldn't stop herself from admiring how handsome he looked—it became apparent that Rufus had noticed her lapse in attention and resulting blush.

And by the mischievous smirk he cast her way as he picked up his cup and drained its contents, he also knew what she'd been thinking about to cause both.

Her blush deepened.

"I've heard marriage changes a man," Roderick continued, oblivious that neither Rufus nor Elphi were paying him attention. "But I've never known it to make one smile so much." He shoved a forkful of ham and roasted potatoes in his mouth and chewed.

"You make it sound as though you never saw one on my face before today," Rufus murmured, corralling the large scoop of roasted potatoes that Rouse had snuck on his plate before Rufus could protest the quantity.

It was a bold move by the butler, considering he was well-versed in Rufus's vehement disdain of potatoes in all forms. In any other household, such insubordination could have seen the servant demoted or out on his ear.

But Rufus had assured her it was all in fun. Rouse was on a quest to prove the humble vegetable to be one of the most delicious and versatile, capable of winning over the pickiest of eaters.

And Rufus allowed it if only to demonstrate there wasn't a cooking skill or technique that could make its vile texture palatable.

"Of course, I have," Roderick murmured before he drained his cup and wiped his mouth with his napkin. Setting it down by his plate, he scratched his chin and studied Rufus. "But to be honest, never for such an extended period. Truthfully—"

"Honest and truthful all at once," Rufus teasingly murmured around a mouthful of food.

"I'd thought your frown was a permanent fixture," Roderick continued. He ate in silence, studying them, then turned to Elphi with a curious expression as he loaded his fork with the last bite of food. "This is your doing," he stated, plopping the final morsels in his mouth.

Elphi arched a brow and finished chewing before setting her fork on her empty plate, dabbing her lips with her napkin and asking, "What is my doing?"

Roderick motioned to Rufus with his fork, then apparently remembered his manners, set it down, and folded his arms across his chest.

Elphi glanced at her grinning husband and blushed when he winked. Then, forcing her attention back to Roderick, she ignored the wild pounding of her heart and the sudden desire to usher her intrusive brother out the front door. "He looks happy."

"Precisely," Roderick mumbled, his eyes narrowing as he studied her. "As do you."

She bit back a smile. "You sound surprised."

He pursed his lips, his gaze darting between Rufus and Elphi as bewilderment settled on his face. "I am."

"But not disappointed?" She couldn't help but ask.

Roderick frowned, and his lips curled in distaste. "Don't be ridiculous. Why would I be disappointed to find you are happy together?" He rolled his eyes and shook his head. "Seriously, Elphi, I may not have been thrilled at the idea of you two marrying at first—"

Rufus scoffed, "A slight understatement."

Roderick grinned and inclined his head. "But I knew you would suit. It's why I hired Rufus to begin with."

"It is, is it?" Elphi murmured with a smile. "How silly of me; I thought it was for an entirely different reason involving a curse."

"A means to an end to bring the two of you together."

"According to your crystal ball?"

"Oh, that? I gave it away," Roderick teased. "Decided I no longer needed the thing now that you're wed and out of the house."

"But what about Jeremy or you?" Elphi asked, regretting the words the instant they passed her lips when she saw them extinguish the playful light in Roderick's eyes.

"Yes, well, Jeremy has years yet until he needs to worry about entering the marriage mart. And as for myself—" He tried to smile, but it wobbled after a second, and he gave up the effort to keep it in place. Then, pushing away from the table, he stood, "I've no need of it because I fell in love with a woman several years ago."

Elphi stared at her brother with mouth agape, positive she hadn't heard him correctly.

But then she realized her ears weren't playing tricks on her because Rufus said, "You did? Is it anyone we know?"

Roderick hesitated before answering, "Her identity is of little importance as she is already married now and quite unavailable."

"Oh, Roderick," Elphi whispered, her heart aching at the despair he could not hide from his voice and eyes. "Why didn't you—"

"And with that," he interrupted with a quick shake of his head when she stood and moved to approach him. "I'll take my leave."

Elphi watched her brother stalk out of the room and flinched when the front door slammed shut behind him.

Turning to Rufus, she was surprised to find him standing close behind her instead of sitting at the table where she'd last seen him. "Did you know he's been secretly in love all these years?"

He shook his head and wrapped Elphi in his arms, holding her so close his body heat seeped through her clothing and warmed her to her soul. "I'm as surprised as you."

She curled her arms around his waist and returned his embrace as she tipped her head back to meet his gaze. "Any idea who the mystery woman might be?"

The corners of Rufus's mouth twitched as he shook his head. "None. Your brother is devilishly good at keeping secrets when he wishes."

"I know," Elphi grumbled with a sigh.

Rufus chuckled and cradled her face in both of his hands, staring at her in a gentle, affectionate manner that made a swarm of butterflies take flight in her stomach. "Has anyone ever told you you're quite adorable when disgruntled?"

She laughed, "Not that I recall."

"Well, you are," He whispered with a grin, leaning in so close his lips brushed hers with the last two words.

The breath caught in Elphi's throat at the delightful and unexpected contact, and in the next heartbeat, she was kissing him.

It began as a slow reverent melding of lips that hinted at the overwhelming emotions she was too afraid to speak aloud just yet. Then Rufus's mouth took absolute possession, claiming hers with a demanding, ravenous need, and Elphi returned it with equal passion, melting against him and twining her arms around his neck.

Their surroundings disappeared, and time slowed until it was just the two of them, lost in a moment Elphi never wanted to end.

His hands stroked her back and shoulders, shaking when he cradled her face and gentled his amorous assault on her mouth a few minutes later.

Breaking the kiss, he swallowed and cupped her jaw, slowly brushing his thumb against the fullness of her bottom lip as he hoarsely asked, "What time were you and Rosalind going to Madame Morrissey's today?"

"Madame Morrissey?" Elphi repeated, struggling to make sense of his words with her passion-fogged brain.

"Remember?" he said with a smile, somehow managing to carry on a conversation as though his lips hadn't just been on hers, delivering a soul-scorching kiss a heartbeat ago. "Rosalind sent a note this morning, asking if you would accompany her to her fitting and you were going to see about having a particular green silk gown made."

Elphi blinked several times and slowly nodded as the fog began to lift, then glanced at the clock and bit back an unladylike expletive. "Is it too late to cancel?"

"My thoughts exactly," Rufus chuckled before stealing another kiss.

Moments later, Elphi tore herself away and held him at arm's length. "Stay there. You are far too distracting, Rufus—"

"I shall take that as a compliment."

Elphi's lips curled in an unsteady smile as she took several hasty steps toward the doorway and pretended he hadn't interrupted her. "Rosalind's carriage will be here soon and... I really must go change."

Rufus watched Elphi leave the dining room, fighting the urge to follow after her. He would like nothing more than to cancel his last two appointments and her plans with Rosalind and spend the rest of the day with her.

But he couldn't. Not on such short notice, at least. Rosalind would see through any excuse he gave to the truth hidden behind it.

And while he had no qualms admitting to himself he'd fallen madly in love with his wife, it seemed cruel to rub the blissful state of his marriage in his sister's face when he'd known—or, at least, begun to suspect over the past three and a half years—she didn't share the same with Reggie.

So, he raked a hand through his hair as he heaved a regretful sigh and trudged the short distance from the dining room to his study.

Collecting the files from his desk containing the documents and notes for his upcoming appointments, he stuffed them into a leather satchel, then glanced at the clock across the room just as Rosalind's carriage pulled up out front.

Slinging his satchel over his right shoulder, Rufus strode from his study and bounded up the stairs two at a time, determined to steal one last kiss before he and Elphi parted ways. He approached their bedroom door and knocked but didn't wait for her reply before entering.

"Rosalind is here, and I'm..." he murmured, his mind going blank as he closed the door behind him, captivated by the sight of Elphi buttoning the navy and deep rust-colored velvet bodice of her gown.

The corners of her mouth twitched as she watched him staring at her, and Rufus was tempted for the second time in fifteen minutes to make excuses to his sister so he and his wife could spend the rest of the day locked in their bedroom together.

"Rosalind is here, and you're what?" She asked with a teasing grin curling her lips. "Other than easily distracted by the sight of me in any state of undress."

Rufus chuckled and released his death grip on the doorknob. Then, clearing his throat, he crossed the distance separating them and tried to remember why he'd sought her out in the first place. "And I'm off to meet with the Grierson's."

Elphi tugged on the leather strap over his shoulder and held his gaze. "You'll return home safe and in one undamaged piece?"

Rufus laughed but hesitated to answer. She knew he would be passing through Seven Dials—he'd told her as much this morning—and could very well run into trouble before reaching his destinations. So he'd instructed Harrison and Jepson to be armed and had several weapons stashed in the carriage just in case.

However, he decided not to share those specific details to keep Elphi from worrying and answered with a simple, "Yes."

When she continued to study him, and her eyes narrowed as though she knew he wasn't telling her everything, Rufus clarified, "Harrison, Jepson, and I will be armed and on our guards."

"Promise me you won't take any unnecessary risks."

Rufus's lips curled in a lopsided grin as he settled his hands at her waist. "Shall I take this concern for my welfare to mean you've grown fond of me?"

"I'm serious, Rufus."

"So am I."

Elphi stared at him in silence, her eyes wide with a mixture of anxiety and terror and her body as tense as a coiled spring. Her throat convulsed on a nervous swallow as she stepped out of Rufus's reach, quickly grabbed her hat and reticule off the end of the bed, and walked to the door. "I mustn't keep Rosalind waiting... please be safe."

"Elphi," Rufus began saying, following her out of the room, "I—" he stopped talking when it became clear she was doing her damnedest to leave as quickly as possible.

He stood in the hallway and bit back an expletive, listening to her leave as an ache settled in his chest. Not only had he ruined his chance at one last kiss, but he'd also spooked Elphi somehow and now needed to figure out a way to make amends.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Elizabeth By MayaAnnesAuthor

Historical Fiction

634 102 28
A girl with a window. A boy that walks past it. A cook with a clear conscience. A secret that destroys it. A woman with a thousand regrets. A man tha...
The Trial By Ylvi

Mystery / Thriller

883 107 37
London 1888. The ripper is on the loose. Everyone despairs not knowing who hides behind the persona. Meanwhile four strangers lives intersect at this...
1.4K 64 3
Supernatural/Modern AU. Finding three mysteriously dead teens causes Sheriff Snotlout Jorgensen to call in his cousin and his band of supernatural in...
1.6K 309 66
After spending the past month as a cheerful amnesiac, drinking gin and making jokes while his world disintegrated, Jack Cade finally has his memories...