DATE THY ENEMY | ES:1

By KristinaDelAyre

WARNING: Mature Content | R18 STATUS: Complete (Enemies Series 1) Vernaise Sven Sarmiento, the eldest of the... More

Note
DATE THY ENEMY
00
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
EPILOGUE (Part 1 of 2)
EPILOGUE (Part 2 of 2)
Next

31

18.2K 483 93
By KristinaDelAyre

Yay! Things are about to get real! I really can't wait anymore too! Comment down your thoughts about the story or this chapter. Happy reading, enjoy!

+ + + + +
Chapter 31
''Slow''

''Vernaise!'' one of my classmates in a minor subject called.

Nilingon ko ito. At pati lahat ng kasama ko sa mesa ay napalingon din sa kanila. She is with two other girls who I am not familiar with. I am with the De Leons and Erik. Kakatapos lang namin kumain ng tanghalian at naghihintay na lamang para sa susunod na klase. Javier is also here because he needed to get some materials from the library.

''Yes?''

Mariel, my classmate, eyed Javier who is on my side before returning her eyes to me. I arched my eyebrow at that.

''I'm just really curious,'' she started, smiling widely at me. ''There's been a talk around the whole campus, you know. Is it true that Carlos is your boyfriend?''

My eyebrows furrowed at the question. No one has dared ask me directly about that. Of course, because I'm Vernaise Sven Sarmiento, at isa pang dahilan ay hindi ko pinaglaanan ng pansin at atensyon ang mga iyon. There's a talk, she said. It hasn't died down yet?

''No, that's not true.''

''I knew it! I know you aren't a two-timer!'' She shamelessly said. ''I told my friends that you're dating a De Leon not a Montecarlo but they wouldn't just listen! They think you're playing with both men!''

My palm hurriedly flew to rest on Javier's thigh when I felt him move forward a bit aggressively. Marahan ko iyong pinisil para pakalmahin siya.

''Hey!'' si Solenn sa isang mataas na boses. ''Mag-ingat ka sa mga pananalita mo!''

''Solenn,'' mahinahon kong tawag. Muli kong ibinalik ang tingin sa tatlo. Lalo na kay Mariel. ''It's okay. She's just curious. Aren't you?''

''Yes-''

I did not let her finish. ''Now that your curiousity is feed. Will you go and stop wasting our time?''

I saw how she was taken back by that. She seems frightened because I can see her face starting to pale. Then she laughed awkwardly. This girl, seems like she wouldn't just stop, huh?

''But we really-''

''That's enough.'' Javier's cold and dangerous voice echoed. ''Leave.''

The girls hurriedly retreated without another word.

I sighed, counting to five, before turning my head to face the people at the table. The once warm atmosphere became dark and heavy after Mariel approached us. 

''It's probably about the picture that was uploaded before.'' I smiled, trying to lighten up the mood.

Carlos already deleted that one. And even deactivated the account. But it looks like people are still talking about that. It's something you won't be able to forget anyway, especially if you're drawn to a man like that. Anyone would be curious.

Kasalanan to ni Carlos! Huh, let's see in the future how he will act as well when all of these things bite him back. Once he already has someone and he sees her with another man, I wonder how would he react? Babalik din sa kanya ang mga ginagawa niyang ito. That's why I told him to be careful with his actions. He might cry later.

Sinilip ko si Javier sa aking tabi. He has that dark expression on his face. Matalim ang kanyang mga mata at nangungunot ang noo.

I was about to take my hand back from his thigh. But he was fast enough to hold it. Pinagsalikop niya ang aming daliri at muli iyong ibinalik sa kanyang hita.

''They have no fear.'' tawa ni Erik.

Ngumisi ako sa kanyang sinabi. I can't believe that either. She confronted me about that even though she knew I was with Javier. She has no fear, indeed! I'd give her that.

''Shameless.'' ani ng aking kaibigan. ''I'd tear her paper if it lands on my hand later.''

Nakapasok na kami sa aming klase. Mariel is part of this class, too. We saw her glancing at us a few times before she settled on her seat.

''Huwag mo nang patulan, Solenn.'' sabi ko. ''It's a waste of time. Let's not stoop down to their level and let them have the gutter. ''

Remain calm and rational, stay strong, and don't let them affect you nor give them the satisfaction. If needed, walk away. To deal with people like that, I find it a waste of time and energy. The less you respond, the more powerful you will become.

We were dismissed early on the first subject in the afternoon. The professor in our three hour class is not around too. Someone took her class but only gave something to read and take home activities. Then we were permitted to leave.

''May gagawin ka?'' tanong ni Solenn habang papalabas kami.

Javier and I are supposed to meet on a later time. But I texted him about our early dismissal. The only reply he sent, is to inform me that he is already outside, waiting.

Tumango ako. ''I'll meet with Javier. Want to come?''

''Ew.'' She scrunched her nose. Tumawa ako. ''Hindi ko pinangarap maging third wheel. I'd just go home and sleep than to be with you two.''

''He's your cousin, you know.''

''That is the point.''

I was still smiling when I parted ways with Solenn. And when I spotted Javier beside his car, my smile grew wider.

For the past few days, Javier would pick me up at school to invite me and have dinner with him. He will be leaving for Manila next month, he told me he's making the most of it.

And who am I to refuse such invitations from Javier de Leon himself?

Napatingin ako sa suot niya. He's wearing a white shirt and faded jeans... while I'm wearing our school uniform. I wanted to change but I don't want to go home. If I'm already outside and I suddenly go home, I'd feel like not going out anymore.

Javier fixed the seatbelt for me. May dumaan sa tapat ng kanyang sasakyan kaya nanatili ang tingin ko doon. Nakita ko ang paglingon rin ni Javier. He probably noticed I'm staring too much outside that he got curious.

''Did she bother you on class?''

''Hindi naman...''

''Next time when people ask, tell them I'm your boyfriend.'' aniya na kinabigla ko.

All of the negative thoughts I had that night, I set them aside and erased most of it. Hindi naman na ako kinulit ni Javier sa kanyang naging tanong. Kaya malaya kong naibalik sa dati ang sarili. I did pretend that it didn't cross my mind yet. And just go with the flow for now. But here we are again.

''Boyfriend?'' I snorted, crossing my arms under my chest. ''You haven't even courted me yet.''

He scoffed at me. Tumawa ako nang makitang mukhang siya pa ang galit at hindi makapaniwala!

But it's true! He haven't even courted me yet! Ang palagay nga ay mukhang ako pa ang nanliligaw sa kanya sa mga nagdaang taon! He wasn't that easy to get. And now he'd declare that?

''Just because I like you, you think I'd be easy, too?'' Ngumisi ako. ''Love, you're wrong about that.''

''Baby, you don't need to worry about that. I'll do the courting for the rest of our lives.''

I wasn't able to react immediately. But after a long while, the side of my lips rose.

''Let's take this easy, okay?''

''Tss.''

''You're so hot tempered.'' I poked his cheek playfully when he didn't look at me. ''I may look like I want to throw myself at you all the time, but I want to take this slow.''

Muli kong nakita ang pagigting ng kanyang panga ngunit kalaunan ay huminga rin ng malalim.

''If it is what you want.''

Napangiti ako.

''But,'' I trailed. Agad siyang lumingon na tila ba napa-aga ang Pasko. Hindi ko tuloy alam kung ipagpapatuloy pa ba ang sasabihin. ''The part about throwing myself to you... Uh, we can do that while taking this slow. I don't mind!''

Muli akong tumawa nang makita ang galit nitong ekspresyon. Tawa lamang ako ng tawa habang nasa byahe dahil hindi niya na muli akong kinausap.

When I told Javier we should take it slow, he really did do it to heart. Dalawang buwan na siyang nasa Maynila. Umuuwi tuwing sabado at bumabyahe ulit tuwing darating ang lunes.

And whenever he's here, we'd go out. But aside from holding hands, we haven't kissed since then or anything. Humahalik naman siya ngunit sa pisngi o kamay na lamang, at hindi na sa labi. Nakakainis! Napapaisip tuloy ako kung tama bang sinabi kong dahan-dahanin namin. 

Sa mga araw na wala si Javier ay itinutuon ko ang atensyon sa pag-aaral. Whenever I go home, he'd call me to ask how my day was. Ngunit limitado nga lamang ang oras dahil gabi naman ang pasok niya sa kanyang review. Sa tuwing makakauwi siya sa kanila, nakakatulog na ako. On mornings, he works, at may pasok din ako kaya pareho kaming abala.

My parents wanted me to spend the holidays with them. At dahil nga pag may pasok ay dito ako sa Santa Monica, my father badly wants me to go home for the vacation. Dahil doon kaya pumunta kami ng Maynila ni Lolo para sa Pasko, ngunit umuwi naman si Javier.

It's already Christmas Eve. And I am here on my bedroom face-timing Javier. He's wearing a maroon long sleeve, na nakatupi hanggang siko. Looks like they will have a party but he's in his bedroom, too.

''I wish you were here.'' I whispered softly.

I heard his sigh, kaya agad akong napabangon sa kama. Mukhang naisatinig ko ang dapat na nasa isipan lamang. Umayos ako ng upo at ipinatong ang cellphone sa isang cellphone holder na nasa bedside table.

''Luluwas ako ng Maynila bukas.'' aniya.

''Huwag na!'' mabilis kong agap.

I've already known him. And whenever he said something, he'd really do it. There was a time when I told him I missed him, and the next morning he was already in Santa Monica! I thought it was just a coincidence. Ngunit nang sinubukan ko ulit iyon sa ibang araw, dumating siya kinabukasan din!

''Why?'' Javier's tone seems doubtful.

''It's Christmas! You should spend time with your family.'' I bit my lip. ''And we'll travel too, so...''

Javier shifted at my last statement. Mukhang mas napukaw ang kanyang atensyon.

''Travel, where?''

''I'm not sure yet. It's my dad's idea. He wanted to spend a lot of time together as a family.'' pagkuwento ko. ''It's my first time that I've been away for so long so he's been clingy. Pag hindi ko siya napagbigyan, he'd probably disown me.''

He chuckled. ''Really?''

''Well if he does that, my grandfather will still take me so I'd still be a Sarmiento. My father will probably be the one stripped off his name since my grandfather favors me more.''

The side of Javier's lips is curled listening to my stories. Napangiti na rin ako.

''Can I still see you before you travel?'' he bargained.

If I can just pull him out of the screen, I have already done that! Grabe, he's so precious.

Umiling ako kahit labag din sa loob. It'll be a hassle for him. Kakauwi niya lamang at luluwas ulit siya. I even heard from Solenn that the whole De Leon will be spending the whole vacation in Santa Monica. Aniya ay napagod na siguro ang pamilya nila sa byahe taon-taon kaya sa mansyon ng kanilang lolo lahat tutuloy ngayon. Jakob's family who stays abroad went home too.

''It's not like we won't see each other anymore! If we travel outside the country, we'll be back next year before classes resume.''

''That's long,''

''It's just a month!''

Hindi siya sumagot. Hindi rin nakatingin sa screen kaya hindi ko masyado makita ang kanyang mukha. His bedroom is dimmed so it wasn't too dark. I can see him clearly a while ago, but now that he isn't looking, I can't read his expression.

God, he looks so hot from this angle. I took a few screenshots without him knowing. I'd look at those once in a while for day dreaming.

Pangiti-ngiti pa sana ako pero naalala kong mukhang masama pala ang loob niya.

''Jav...'' I called softly, trying to catch his attention.

I grinned when he instantly looked back at me. And when he saw my expression, mas lalong dumilim ang kanyang mukha.

''Tss.''

''We'll face-time, okay?'' Napailing ako. I sounded like a mother trying to appease a child.

He stayed silent.

''Noon naman kahit isang taon tayong hindi nagkita, di ka naman ganito!'' I said, trying to reminisce the past where it'd take me months or even years before coming back to Santa Monica.

''Are you seriously using that now?'' he asked harshly.

''Well.. naisip ko lang.''

''That was before!''

''I know, sorry.'' I smiled apologetically.

He seems pretty offended. Right. It was before! We weren't dating before... well, are we dating now? God, I still can't believe it!

''Don't use that trick on me, Vernaise Sven!''

Napanguso ako at natawa nang tawagin sa buong pangalan. I feel my stomach rumbling wildly whenever he calls me that way.

''What? I'm not doing anything!''

''Fix your clothes!'' pigil na pigil niyang sigaw.

Nakangisi akong napatingin sa damit. Ah, a few buttons popped open. It exposed my neck downward, but not enough to expose my chest fully.

''Oh, opps, sorry!'' I winked at him while fixing my white button down dress.

He looked beyond problematic. Tila ba mapipigtas na an kanyang litid. Mariin rin ang hawak sa kanyang cellphone, I see the veins in his arms popping out.

''It's not like I intentionally did that!'' depensa ko. ''Natanggal lang kakagalaw ko!''

I hear him groan as if in pain. Mariing nakapikit ang mga mata at tila ba may iniinda. Ang isang kamay ay hinihilot ang kanyang sentido.

''You're overreacting.'' sabi ko, marahang tumatawa. ''I'm done, you can open your eyes now.''

Nang bumukas ang kanyang mga mata ay muli niya akong binigyan ng masamang tingin. His dark menacing eyes are accusing me of something.

May sasabihin pa sana ako ngunit narinig ko na ang katok sa pintuan. They are calling me now to go downstairs. We will be celebrating Christmas like we used to do. A solemn and intimate family dinner.

''Tinatawag na ako sa baba.'' malungkot akong ngumiti kay Javier. 

''I'll call again. Text me when you're free.''

I nodded. I thought I pushed his button too much, na baka bukas na ulit kami makakapag-usap. But he said he'll call again later. I'll just greet him later too.

''Bye!'' I blew him a kiss before I ended the call.

I went downstairs and saw my whole family. Lumapad ang ngiti ko. I hugged and kissed them on the cheeks one by one, before settling on my seat. We ate, drank wine, and we did our tradition by opening each other's gifts.

I was grinning so much while opening my father's gift. I have no favorites, but out of all, he gives the best gifts, so I always anticipate Christmas.

Napawi ang ngiti ko nang mabuksan na ang parihabang kahon. I pulled it out of the box and showed it to everyone. My mother who's always calm, let out a burst of laughter.

''Dad, a tumbler?!'' hindi ko makapaniwalang tanong.

The tumbler looks like he just brought it along when he shopped for groceries. It's plastic and plain looking, like a disposable water bottle. Hindi naman sana ako magrereklamo kung tumbler, but I don't think it's even durable for everyday use. How will I be able to use this for school?

''What? Well, I can't think of any gifts. You already have me as a father!''

Napailing na lamang ako kay Daddy.

''Oh, Steven!'' my mother continued to laugh.

It was already past midnight when I got the chance to reply to all the messages. I greeted my friends in Manila and Santa Monica, the De Leons, the Montecarlos. And especially Javier.

I also texted I'm already free and he immediately called me.

#DATETHYENEMY

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

741K 21.7K 23
[Mature Content] The Play Series Book 2 : Thomas Isaac Mendez
734K 26.2K 72
Coffees and pancakes. Teas and waffles. Two people crossed that created ditto but with dissonance.
12.9K 1K 59
ONE - U N E D I T E D - - C O M P L E T E D - Si Zeamra Rish OΕ„ete ay nag-iisang babae sa kanilang tatlong magkakapatid. Ang kaniyang kapatid ay sina...