Claus

By MikaelaBender

Santa, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy are all real. But they're nothing like who we've grown up believ... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four
Thirty-Five
Thirty-Six
Thirty-Seven + A New Cover
Thirty-Eight
Thirty-Nine
Forty
Forty-One
Forty-Two
Forty-Three
Forty-Four
Forty-Five
Forty-Six
Forty-Seven
Forty-Eight
Forty-Nine
Fifty
Fifty One
Fifty Two
The Nutcracker, a Teaser for Book 2
Frost - Chapter One
Frost - Chapter Two
Frost - Chapter Three
Haunting the Horseman
Fifty One (Cassian's POV)
Eros
When Jack Frost Confronted the Easter Bunny

Fifteen

268 58 50
By MikaelaBender

Seated at Aurelius's overly long dining table—he had to have been compensating for something—Faryn pushed the gnocchi around her plate with her fork. At any moment Aurelius would appear. Her stomach churned at the idea of facing him. With only a few words he had the power to crush her. She had given him that power.

         Cassian's hand brushed hers before he closed it around her fork, putting a pause to her pushing and scraping. She tensed at having him this close to her, when there were no Cupids too fool. When it was purely his choice. Her heart rate picked up. He had to be able to hear it.

         Across from them, Peter lowered his fork, his hand inching toward his knife. Did he think Cassian meant to harm her here? Though could she be that shocked if Peter did or if Cassian harmed her? She had led them here with the promise of aid. A promise she couldn't keep.

         "You need to eat," Cassian said.

         The fingers of her freehand curled much like her stomach. She would if she could. But the idea of food held about as much appeal as shoving her head through a hole in the ice and waiting to see what would take a bite of her first.

         "We need you at your full strength."

         "You need me alive, you mean." She still hadn't completely ruled out the theory that his mother was somehow behind Nick's disappearance.

         He pulled back, baring his teeth for the briefest moment, as if he could see through her eyes to the thoughts underneath. Was it really all that shocking to him that she wouldn't find him trustworthy?

         Peter slouched in his seat. "You both are exhausting. Has anyone ever told you that?"

         Before either of them could answer, tendrils of ebony black smoke curled around the chair at the head of the able, wrapping over its armrests and tightening around the back of it like a noose. It thickened and grew until it faded quicker than it appeared leaving Aurelius in its wake.

         His eyes met Faryn's first. She stared into the darkness his brown eyes offered and found not one ounce of remorse. She tore her gaze from him, fixing it on her plate, but not before she noticed Cassian's nostrils flare.

         "I trust you've secured a flight to Reyarney?"

         Peter informed him that he had booked transportation but wouldn't go into the details.

         A servant soon brought out a plate for Aurelius. It had been surprising that they had been served without Aurelius present but maybe his staff had suspected Krampus wouldn't show.

         She toyed with the fork in her hand, the idea of stabbing Aurelius with it suddenly rather appealing. But considering the state of her reputation, it was best she refrained from going anywhere near Winter Court members while she held sharp objects. Though could her reputation really sink any lower? Her world already though she had murdered one of the most beloved holiday figures.

         But couldn't she at least chuck this plate of uneaten food at him? That would be rather satisfying.

         Cassian must have seen the glint in her eyes because under the table his hand not so subtly brushed against her thigh. No, it seemed to say.

         She jerked her leg away from him.

         Another servant arrived, coming to stop beside Aurelius. He leaned down to whisper something in Aurelius's ear.

         Krampus's expression tightened before he pushed his chair back and stood. "You all have to leave. Now."

         The attendant shook his head and whispered again to Aurelius. With her hearing she was able to make out one word. Perchta.

         "She's already here." A muscle in Aurelius's jaw ticked. "You have to hide."

         Peter was on his feet before either Faryn or Cassian. "Why? I'm friends with Perchta."

         "But she hates Faryn."

         Cassian looked at her and finished Aurelius's line of thought. "She's a symbol of broken tradition."

         It was a good thing she hadn't taken one bite of her food. Just one thought of the Perchtas of old was enough to turn her hands and forehead clammy.

         Throughout history, Perchta had been the guardian of traditions and punisher of those who broke them, and Faryn was a walking, breathing symbol of a broken marriage vow. The Santa and Mrs. Claus bond was one of the greatest traditions in both her world and the human one. She might not be the one to have broken it, but she was the only one Perchta could punish without repercussions.

         Aurelius's throat bobbed. "While our current Perchta may not slit her open and stuff her with straw, she won't hesitate to take her prisoner." His eyes darkened as he spoke to Peter. "And curse her."

         Faryn scanned the room, searching for someplace to hide while trying to squash her growing terror. Perchta cursed those who broke tradition with bad luck, and while Faryn lately wound up in shitty circumstances far too often, she also kept managing to get out of them. She didn't need to trade that good luck for the bad kind.

         Aurelius strode to the nearest wall and pressed his hand against it until the paint rippled as if it were wallpaper before thinning into what appeared to be a screen. Through it could be seen another room, private with couches and paintings all viewed hazily through the magic of the screen. One portion of the screen faded entirely, leaving a doorway into the room. Aurelius motioned them through it.

         It was clear Aurelius hadn't been expecting Perchta, so why when the two were sworn enemies, would she show up unannounced? It was unlikely Perchta would launch an attack on Krampus, not without the support of other court members.

         As Faryn passed through the not-quite-doorway, she glanced back at the table. Was there time for their dishes to be hidden? They were a damning piece of evidence that Aurelius had not been alone.

         Aurelius placed his hand against the screen, and it rippled before solidifying until she could no longer see him on the other side.

         Both Peter and Cassian stood, bodies braced as their magic began to swirl around their feet. It was a relief she had her mother's dagger, but what would it do against Perchta who had strong magic of her own?

         "Aurelius," a voice ground out on the other side of the wall. Faryn held her breath. Perchta was Fae. How well did a magical wall do at concealing scents?

         "Perchta," Aurelius purred.

         Though Faryn had never seen her in person, she'd seen plenty of images of her. Perchta was beautiful, her skin a rich deep brown, and hair that was long and glistening, the color of mahogany. She'd heard somewhere that she used magic to keep her hair in a kind of suspended enchantment, one where it flowed in a phantom wind around her. Not as if she were underwater, but rather as if she walked on air.

         A chair scrapped against the floor.

         "And what might I do for you on this cold winter's night?" The bastard actually managed to sound pleased to see her.

         "You can start by feeding me." Perchta's voice was heavy, tired.

         "Why else do I exist but to serve you?"

         Peter made a face that looked suspiciously like he wanted to gag.

         "Befana pulled me aside before I left the Frozen City."

         Faryn's heart seized at the mention of Winter's capital. If Perchta found her, she'd take her to the Frozen City and lock her up.

         "Flozzie has stopped working," Perchta continued. "There are rumors all her Fata will as well if Winter continues to list her son as a suspect."

         Tendrils of white smoke swirled around Cassian's wrists and legs. His jaw tightened until it was hardly more than sharp lines and angles. He was a statue and might as well have been one of the mythical ice giants of legend.

         "And what has been Midas's response?"

         "They'll back her. Midas believes Winter has insulted them by accusing the boy. Never mind the repercussions when the human children stop receiving money for their teeth." What would the repercussions be like? Right now, due to magic parents believed it was themselves who had left the money. What would happen when they believed they had slipped money under the pillow but it was the tooth that remained instead? "If we lock up their future Tooth Fairy, I suppose I can see why they wouldn't give a damn about the humans."

         "It was Jack and Befana who he attacked," Aurelius only sounded mildly interested. "What do they have to say?"

         There was the clank of dishes. Food must have been brought out for Perchta.

         "Befana swears he's guilty. And you saw Jack. He looked as if he'd soon level the world. Gryla thinks they're going to suggest we force Flozzie to return to her duties."

         Cassian trembled, his power building. It swirled quicker, grew tighter.

         "That sounds rather messy, don't you think?"

         Either Perchta didn't answer or Faryn couldn't hear it.

         "And Clora's daughter?" Aurelius asked. "What news of her?"

         Faryn held her breath.

         "As of now nothing."

         She covered her heart with her hand, relieved Perchta's response hadn't been to say they were closing in on her.

         "And who is it you believe is responsible?" Aurelius asked. "The boy or Faryn?"

         For a moment the only sound from the other side of the wall was the crackling of the hearth's fire.

         "If she was innocent," Perchta said slowly, "why would she run? And if he were guilty, why defend her? But that said, I do think some of us are so hell bent on believing it was her that we ignore other possibilities."

         "Like me?" Aurelius's voice was no longer languid. It had darkened, and she could imagine his power forming around him.

         "Like Klaus."

         Aurelius didn't answer but she desperately wanted him to even if hearing him defend her half-brother would only drive the wedge deeper into her heart.

         "I know you're friends with him, Aurelius. The rest of the court might be under the delusion they had a beautiful father-son relationship, but there was plenty of strife. Wasn't there?"

         "Get out."

         What if Klaus was responsible? What if Aurelius wasn't only choosing him over Faryn but was protecting him as well?

         "What do you know, Aurelius?"

         "That you're desperate to see me locked up in the Frozen City."

         There was a laugh. A beautiful, charming laugh. "If that were the case, who would keep me company?"

         "I'm sure you'd find somewhere else to show up uninvited."

         "Admit it," Perchta said, and Faryn imagined with almost perfect clarity Perchta snaking her hand across the table. "You enjoy my presence."

         "I'd sooner cut off my own tongue."

         "I might actually like that."

         "Then I'll think of something else to cut off."

         "I can think of something."

         "I'm sure you can."

         There was a huff. "I'll be going. If Klaus is guilty, Aurelius, I hope you wouldn't be foolish enough to protect him."

         Nothing else was said after that, and it was fifteen minutes later that Aurelius appeared in a swirl of smoke before them. "She's gone."

         Peter shot him a saccharine grin. "Enjoy your date?"

         "Oh immensely."

         "Did he do it?" Faryn asked.

         Aurelius turned his eyes on her. "No."

         "And how can you be so sure?"

         "Because he wouldn't make a move like that knowing the consequences." He turned to Peter. "When is your flight?"

         "Our boat leaves at 6 AM."

         Aurelius ran a hand through his brown hair. "I'll have someone come to your rooms to take you to the docks. Until then none of you should leave your rooms."

Has anyone else watched Luck on Apple TV?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

69.4K 2.7K 39
You'd never think that you'd fall into any wrongs with Bunnymund, especially not given the relationship that you had formed. He wanted you as much as...
15.5K 349 64
A Rise of the Guardians/Frozen Fanfiction He was the only friend she'd ever had. She was the first one to see him. And then he was gone. Five year...
144 14 14
What if there was a school for kids of famous Christmas characters to go? Well there is. North Pole High, a place where all your favorite Christmas c...
88K 3.4K 28
It's been twenty years since Pitch's defeat. Everything seemed fine, until now. The Globe of Belief did a few unusual light shows, the elves in the W...