The Lost Flower of the Hidden...

由 MermaidAriel13

A student geisha assassin of the Hidden Leaf learns there is more to her forgotten past than she ever guessed... 更多

Author's Note
Achievements
Prologue; Spirited away
Chapter One; New paths
Chapter Two; The promises made
Chapter Three; First encounters
Chapter Four; Weakness
Chapter Five; How to meet in the space between
Chapter Six; Becoming a geisha
Chapter Eight; Watchful eyes
Chapter Nine; Understanding
Chapter Ten; Enemy at the gates
Chapter Eleven; The Forest of Death
Chapter Twelve; Cursed
Chapter Thirteen; A friend in need
Chapter Fourteen; Silence before the storm
Chapter Fifteen; The chase
Chapter Sixteen; Sand, leaves, and water
Chapter Seventeen; Rising tensions

Chapter Seven; Crashing Waves

37 3 0
由 MermaidAriel13

"You're upset."

"Gee, what gave you that idea?"

Katana sighed as Naruto stubbornly kept his head turned and his arms crossed over his chest. She'd dreaded this would happen.

"I didn't reply to your message because I didn't want to risk getting you in trouble," she tried again. He only scoffed. "Naruto, please don't be like this. You know Mameha watches my every move. I'm only allowed to talk to you because your sensei is just five feet away from us."

"Bet you still find a way to talk to Sasuke."

Katana's fingers closed into a fist at the accusing sneer. Her hand trembled as she tried to keep calm. It didn't help she could feel Sasuke's eyes on her. Because, yes, she did have a way to talk to him. Though the conversation was one-sided. It was short of a miracle no one had discovered Sasuke in the tree across from her window, using the leaves and branches as cover and staying as quiet as a mouse. Still, that was no excuse for Naruto to talk to her like this now. It wasn't her fault he had trouble being stealthy.

"Naruto, will you please just —?"

"We have a very important mission, Katana. Can't waste any time talking."

He brushed past her. Katana almost grabbed his wrist to make him stay and have it out with him, but that would only end in a fight. Naruto could be damn stubborn if he wanted to be. It was useless to reason with him when he was like this. And she didn't want to give Mameha further cause to keep them apart. 

"Fine," she murmured. "Good luck."

Katana went in the opposite direction, back toward the village, her white kimono rustling as she walked. She glimpsed at the man Team 7 was due to escort back to the Land of Waves, a bridge builder named Tazuna. He didn't appear like much else than a drunkard, but looks could be deceiving. As a maiko, Katana knew this better than anyone. She didn't spare Sakura a single glance, but did nod her head to Kakashi before halting in front of Sasuke. It felt so good to be close to him again. But it still wasn't close enough. 

"Take care," she said. 

"You too," he replied. 

"Will...? No, never mind."

Katana averted herself, but Sasuke halted her before she could walk on. She saw Kakashi flinch from the corner of her eye, but he did nothing to come between them.

"What did you want to ask?"

She bit her lip. "Will... you keep an eye on Naruto for me? Please?"

The young Uchiha's gaze darkened as he looked over Katana's shoulder to his teammate. She huffed at his expression. Of course he wouldn't. Those two would never get along. 

"All right."

Her head jerked up. 

"You owe me, though," added Sasuke. "Babysitting that loser is a full-time job."

Despite the insult he gave her friend, Katana beamed at him. "Thank you."

"Yeah, whatever."

Sasuke's fingers slipped down, and he pinched her hand as he let go to join his teammates and sensei. Katana lingered at the gates to watch them leave. The Land of Waves wasn't that far away, and there should be little trouble on the way there. And even if they encountered a problem, Kakashi was in the lead. He would protect them all. Her friends would be back soon. She would find a way to make things right with Naruto and to spend more time with both him and Sasuke. Everything would be all right.  

***

Arriving in the Land of Waves and Tazuna's seaside village proved more difficult than expected, but they finally made it to the bridge builder's home. Sasuke gave a tired sigh as he entered the room prepared for him and Naruto. He didn't feel like having that idiot as a roommate, but at least this way, he could look out for him. Naruto was bound to get himself killed eventually, but Sasuke couldn't fail in his promise to Katana. She would never forgive him.

As he unpacked, Sasuke went through everything that had happened earlier. The two Chunin from the Hidden Mist had been little of a challenge, which was disappointing considering they were supposed to be of a different level. But that other guy, Zabuza... He was a formidable opponent — fast, athletic, and murderous.
Sasuke still couldn't believe Naruto's plan had actually worked. The knucklehead had been completely useless in the fight against the Chunin, but against Zabuza, known to all as the Demon of the Hidden Mist, he turned out to be smarter than Sasuke perceived him to be. And had Naruto not trusted Sasuke to use his Shadow Shuriken Technique to get him into position and trick Zabuza, Kakashi wouldn't have gotten out of his watery prison to finish his opponent. Sasuke had to hand it to Naruto — not everyone would've turned themselves into a shuriken and instantly relied on their teammate to understand and play along. He certainly wouldn't have. 

The door opened behind him. Sasuke didn't greet Naruto as he came in and just continued unpacking. The blond dropped on the bed near the window with a groan and flung his backpack into a corner. If this guy thought he could make a mess already, he had another thing coming.

"Put your stuff away," ordered Sasuke, getting only a scoff in reply. "I'm not gonna ask again."

"Don't tell me what to do," said Naruto. "You're not the boss of me."

Sasuke pinched his lips in anger. Who the hell did that loser think he was? He went to pick up Naruto's backpack and threw it onto the blond's stomach.

"Oof! Hey, what's the big idea?" he exclaimed.

"Put it away or fish for it at the bottom of the ocean," threatened Sasuke. "Your choice."

"Fine!" 

Naruto dumped the contents on the bed and stuffed everything under the sheet and out of sight. All the while, he grumbled this and that, but Sasuke clearly understood one name. He crossed the room and pulled Naruto up by the collar of this orange jumpsuit.

"Hey, let go!" yelled Naruto.

"You got something to say about Katana?" demanded Sasuke with a hiss.

"Not to you!"

Naruto pried free. He swung his fist, but Sasuke dodged it easily, and Naruto stumbled awkwardly to the floor. He didn't stay down for long, though. Sasuke met his furious glare as he jumped up and snarled, "You got no business coming between Katana and me, so back off!"

Naruto pushed him away and dove into bed. Some of his stuff dropped out, but he didn't gather them. Sasuke contemplated if he should kill Naruto while he slept or throw his sorry ass out the window right now. Remembering his promise, he gritted his teeth, using every ounce of willpower to remain calm, and said, "You could've been nicer to Katana when we left. She doesn't have it easy. You would know that if you were a genuine friend."

"I said I don't wanna talk about her! Now leave me the hell alone!"

Sasuke tsk-ed and turned away. He sat with his back to his teammate and reached for Katana's broken medallion. He held it close, praying she was all right. It was the first time he was so far away from her, and he hated it. By the look of things, he wouldn't return to the village any time soon. Kakashi needed time to recuperate from his fight. The threat against the bridge builder hadn't been neutralized, and they all suspected Zabuza was still alive, despite that masked guy taking him out and spiriting him away. And on top of things, he had to bunk with Naruto and deal with Sakura's ridiculous flirtations.
Katana's image appeared in the eye of Sasuke's mind. He saw her black hair shining with a faint red gleam in the sun and her pink lips as she smiled. He gazed into her eyes, as deep and mesmerizing as the bluest ocean. Something stirred within him as he inexplicably felt her tender caress. A sensation gnawed at him. Sasuke pushed it back down. Katana was his best friend and comfort... but he could never let her become more than that. Never.

***

"Dammit!" 

Naruto cursed loudly as he fell from the tree yet again. He couldn't understand why this simple exercise was so hard for him. He mastered the Shadow Clone Jutsu in a single night, and that took way more chakra than stupid tree-climbing. There was absolutely no reason for him not to succeed in this. If Sakura could do it, then so could he!
A frustrated grunt came from his left. Naruto looked over to where Sasuke had landed. Seeing his teammate struggling with this as well gave him some delight. That jerk was always excelling, beating him in everything, but not this...

Oh, come on! How is he getting higher than me?

Naruto scowled when he compared Sasuke's kunai markings to his own. There was an equal number, but Sasuke's were considerably higher. Even in failure, Naruto still failed more. Everything was going against him! He froze when those two chunin brothers attacked on the road. He was stuck with stupid Sasuke in the same room, Sakura barely paid any attention to him unless he was literally standing in front of her, and he left home fighting with Katana! Why couldn't he just have some luck, for once?

That's it, I've had it! Sakura told me exactly how to do this when I asked her, so I gotta stop playing around and just do it already, believe it!

The blond stood straight and closed his eyes to focus. A strange yet familiar sensation fluttered inside of him. Chakra flowed through his body down to his feet. It amassed, unruly at first, but then controlled. 

Okay, I'm getting good vibes... All right, this is it!

Naruto took a running start, surging with confidence...

"Hey, Naruto!"

... only to fall flat on his face. He pushed himself up.

"What the heck is wrong with you?!" he yelled, outraged at the distraction.

Sasuke didn't meet his gaze and fumbled with the hem of his shirt. He stammered incoherently, much to Naruto's annoyance. 

"What? What is it?" He crossed his arms, waiting impatiently. 

"Y-You asked Sakura to give you some tips before. What did she say to you?"

Naruto's jaw dropped. The Sasuke Uchiha, the top graduate of the Academy, was asking him for advice in training? Oh, this was good! This was just too perfect!

"I'm not telling," said Naruto dryly.

Sasuke's stricken face gave him great satisfaction. Naruto would never deny Sasuke wasn't a good fighter, but he certainly wouldn't help him get any better.

"Whatever," grumbled Sasuke. 

He sprinted back up the three, not getting much further than last time. When he landed back on the ground, he gritted his teeth and struck the kunai to the ground. Naruto felt even happier at seeing Sasuke give in to defeat. That was something he would never do. He had a dream, a goal — to be the greatest Hokage. Giving up was not an option for him.
Naruto was about to try again when he suddenly saw Sasuke hang his head and take something around his neck. He squinted to see. A necklace? What would a guy like Sasuke be doing with jewelry on? He hardly struck Naruto as the type. 

"What's that?" asked Naruto.

"Nothing," answered Sasuke bluntly.

"You still want to know what Sakura said?"

Sasuke's head jerked toward him. Naruto didn't particularly like to give up Sakura's advice, but he didn't have to tell Sasuke everything. And he was damn curious about the necklace. 

"I'll tell you what she told me if you show me what you're holding," proposed Naruto. 

It didn't look like Sasuke was going to agree. Naruto was already thinking about how he would sneak a peek when Sasuke was asleep when the latter suddenly opened his hand. A broken medallion lay in the palm of Sasuke's hand. It had a strange rusty color, but not like it would have from time passing. A terrifying thought then occurred to Naruto. 

"Did... Did that belong to... your mother?" he asked quietly.

Sasuke raised his eyes. They stood cold, chilling Naruto to the bone.

"It's a friend's. She doesn't want to lose it, so I'm keeping it safe for her. Now tell me what Sakura said."

A friend's... Sasuke only has one friend, just like me. At least... I thought she was my friend. 

Naruto hung his head, heartbroken that Katana would rather trust Sasuke than him with something valuable and important. He realized then... they would probably never be more than what they were. Never.

 ***

Mameha spoke silently with Lord Hokage, their murmurs the only thing to be heard in the crowded room. Katana peered at the gathered Jōnin, noting they appeared even more anxious than she was. She didn't understand why, though. It was her life about to be flipped upside down, not theirs.
Only Iruka dared to meet her gaze. His sad, contrite expression told Katana enough. She fisted the silk of her kimono, balling the cloth on her knees. To think Mameha planned this talk the moment she knew Kakashi, the person Katana trained most with, would leave on a mission, taking Team 7 and thus her friends with him... Her constant games sickened Katana. 

The Third Hokage put up his pipe and took a long puff. Katana shifted, uncomfortable at his penetrating glance. Before today, she had only visited the Hokage's private office a few times with Mameha, but had never been allowed in his direct presence. Hiruzen Sarutobi seemed a strict man, with that sharp beard and those all-seeing eyes hidden under that big Kage-hat, but Katana knew there was kindness in him too. Her friends were proof of that. Without the Hokage, they would never have survived the Leaf alone. Especially not Naruto.

Naruto, I miss you.

"How are you, Katana?"

She stiffened at being spoken to by the old man. Not because he addressed her directly, but because of the concern in his voice. 

"I'm... all right," she said. 

"You don't say that with much confidence."

Katana's eyes flashed to Mameha at the Hokage's comment. Her mentor sat with her hands folded in her lap next to the Hokage. Nothing in her expression betrayed what might happen next. 

"Perhaps a little overwhelmed," admitted Katana cautiously. 

The Hokage nodded. "That is perfectly understandable, of course. You have been called to a higher purpose for the sake of the Leaf Village and the entire Land of Fire."

Pfft, yeah, sure. As if becoming a geisha is a higher purpose... Don't make me laugh.

"And how do you feel?" asked the Hokage then. "About your impending role in the okiya, I mean. Do you accept it? Do you believe you can be like Mameha and Kitiara?"

This was a test. It had to be. But a test in what? Her loyalty? Whether she was a potential threat that should be taken care of immediately? Katana tried to read Mameha again, but she was a blank slate.

All right then... I'll bite.

"You say that as if I have a choice, Lord Hokage. But everyone in this room knows I don't. I was bound to the okiya and Mameha when I picked up a katana seven years ago. I do what I am told... most of the time, anyway, and I haven't failed in any training or tasks. So perhaps the real question here is what you believe?"

Finally, Mameha's dark eyes narrowed. Uchiha-eyes... or weren't they?

"I, and many here, believe you could be a great geisha," said the Hokage. "One who rivals Mameha, even. But there is the matter of your age to consider."

"I have already made it clear I will not make her do anything the older girls are supposed to do," prompted Mameha, to the clear relief of most Jōnin, as their stiff posture relaxed somewhat. 

"Indeed, you have. But it is still too early. Therefore, my final ruling is this; have Katana training be taken up by ANBU from now. Have her go on minor missions near the village, accompanied by Jōnin. I expect a report on each mission she partakes in. The elders and I shall allow the graduation to take place only when we are assured Katana has truly embraced her fate and is ready."

Katana couldn't believe her ears. The Hokage had just put a stop to all of Mameha's plans. Even if it was only a brief pause, this bought her time. Time to change her fate. Time to find a way out. She couldn't wait to tell... 
A sudden pain stabbed at Katana's body. She clutched her chest. Her breath hitched, and her heart pumped frantically. The only thing Katana heard was her blood rushing through her. Rapid images flashed before her mind's eye. She gasped as she then dropped back into her body and found Mameha holding her by the shoulders, eyes wide with worry.

"T-Team 7," she stammered. "They're.. under attack."

"What? How do you—Katana, stop struggling!"

"No! Let me go!"

She pushed Mameha off with more force than she meant to. The Hokage caught the geisha as Mameha fell backward, and Katana grabbed her chance to bolt for the window. She jumped out onto the rooftops and ran, holding on to the harrowing vision.
Running figures appeared on the other rooftops. The Jōnin were pursuing her. One suddenly blocked her path, but Katana flipped over him, throwing one of her hidden kunai into his shoulder.  

"Katana, stop!" yelled Iruka.

But she didn't. Every time they got close, she dodged their attempts to get to her and counterattacked without hesitation. She didn't care if she hurt them. She didn't care if Mameha would punish her or even kill her for doing this. All she wanted was to get to Team 7 as fast as possible. She had to save...
Katana fell to her knees as a roar echoed through her. She yelled at the terrifying sound and covered her ears. Her vision blurred. Suddenly, a crow flew by her, and she saw its gleaming red eye. Red like blood. Red... like an Uchiha's Sharingan.
Darkness took over, and Katana fell away. Deeper and deeper, hearing the vicious growl, seeing dangerous eyes... and feeling an icy storm around her. 

繼續閱讀

You'll Also Like

2.1M 112K 63
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...
18.6K 621 27
Um, it's a time travel fanfic, and I created my own OC her name is Christina, she is dating Neji. Yeah, anyway have fun reading
2.6K 236 5
Leon Scott Kennedy had it embarrassingly bad for the back row kid with the pink hair. Meanwhile, Sakura Hoshigaki could only squint at her phone and...
2.4K 72 6
Years after years, slowly, all the Jinchuriki, that once belonged to their own respective Hidden Villages, disappeared without a trace Now, exactly...