Sweeney & Bowen

By uninspiredachiever

Trying to regain EJ Caswell's heart, Bianca Sweeney auditions for the role of Gabriella, but something stands... More

Act I:
Chapter One: The Start of Something New
Chapter Two: Auditions
Chapter Three: The Read-Through
Chapter Four: Breaking Free
Chapter Five: The Wonderstudies
Chapter Six: Blocking
Chapter Seven: Homecoming
Chapter Eight: What Team?
Chapter Nine: Thanksgiving
Chapter Ten: The Tech Rehearsal
Chapter Eleven: Opening Night
Chapter Twelve: Act Two
Chapter Thirteen: New Year's Eve
Chapter Fourteen: Typecasting
Chapter Fifteen: Valentine's Day
Chapter Sixteen: The Storm
Chapter Seventeen: QuinceaΓ±ero
Chapter Eighteen: Yes, And
Chapter Nineteen: Field Trip
Chapter Twenty: Most Likely To
Chapter Twenty-One: Spring Break
Chapter Twenty-Two: The Transformation
Chapter Twenty-Three: Showtime
Chapter Twenty-Four: Second Chances
Chapter Twenty-Five: If It's True Love
Chapter Twenty-Six: Happy Campers
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Into The Unknown
Chapter Twenty-Eight: The Woman in the Woods
Chapter-Thirty: The Real Campers of Shallow Lake
Chapter Thirty-One: Color War
Chapter Thirty-Two: Bucket List
Chapter Thirty-Three: Camp Prom
Chapter Thirty-Four Let It Go
Chapter Thirty-Five: New Normal
Chapter Thirty-Six: High School Musical 4
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Meant To Be
Chapter Thirty-Eight: A Star Is Reborn
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Bianca's Birthday
Chapter Forty: The Thirteenth
Chapter Forty-One: Trick Or Treat
Chapter Forty-Two: Trust The Process
Chapter Forty-Three: Wrapped
Chapter Fourty-Four: Play The Scene
Chapter Forty-Five: Born To Be Brave

Chapter Twenty-Nine: No Drama

1K 54 6
By uninspiredachiever

************************
I put on my sunglasses, shutting the Honeycomb door behind me. I was the last to get ready, therefore I was late to the pool, for the sequence that will supposedly impress Corbin Bleu.

"Oh, hey," Jet greets, not-so-subtly scanning me from top to bottom with his eyes, while approaching from the boys' Yurt.

"Hi," I meet him halfway and cross my arms, "If I didn't know any better, I'd say you're mad at me." I assume, resting my sunglasses on my head.

His brows furrow curiously, "How could I be mad at you?"

I shrug, "You barely looked at me last night. I waved and everything."

He shuts his eyes, with his palms out as if implying that it was a misunderstanding. "It wasn't you, it was Ricky."

"Oh?" Intrigued, I urged him to continue.

Jet nods, "Yeah. We talked about you, and he was pretty defensive the entire time, so I just assumed that he likes you, but he denied it."

The corners of my mouth quirk up in a smug smile, nodding along, "Thank you for telling me."

"Sure thing," He sounded unsure before asking, "Is there something going on between you two?"

I wave it off, "No, there isn't."

Jet was taken aback and didn't believe me, "Really?"

I nod, "Yeah!"

(Bianca: in Honeycomb)

With a smug smile, she crosses her arms, "I can have fun with this, right? I mean, Ricky and I are in a good place, but he's still Ricky Bowen, I have to mess with him."

*******************************
I arrive at the pool to find Ricky and Carlos having a conversation.

Ricky's attention shifts to me; he stops paying attention to what Carlos is saying and raises his brows, taking me in with his eyes as he gawks at me.

However, I paid no mind to him, just to mess with his head a little.

My best friend took notice of his distracted state, so he glanced to see what Ricky was looking at. Carlos gasped upon finding me.

"Blanche!" He exclaims, standing up from the beach towel.

I was the last to arrive, so I heard the annoyed 'it's about time!' behind Carlos' words and reaction.

"Thanks," I sarcastically start, lowering my glasses, "You look expensive and ready for Corbin Bleu, as well."

"Absolutely, yes. But, we all agreed to wear pink to the pool!" He reminds.

"Remember mine and Kourtney's experiment?"

Carlos rolls his eyes, "You're still doing that? Here? We have all day!"

"Bianca," Kourtney chimes in, "That wasn't supposed to be until later. Right now is pink."

"Pink, B." Ashlyn reminds, motioning to their outfits.

I shrug, looking at them as if to sarcastically say really? "Did we seriously believe that I was gonna wear pink? Only my hair can ever be pink."

(Bianca & Kourtney in Honeycomb)

"What I've learned from teen romcoms of the early 21st century," Kourtney starts, "It's that the best way to impress/bond with someone, is to pretend that all their favorite things are your favorite things, too."

"So," Bianca picks up, "We're testing the theory. According to Teen Slam Magazine's 2006 survey, Corbin's favorite colors are gold and black. So I'm gonna wear black, Kourt's gonna wear gold, and Corbin's gonna love us! Carlos planned all of his outfits, and was too nervous to go off book."

Kourtney nods, "And nobody else wanted to be a part of it, because apparently, nobody else wants to be loved by Chad Danforth himself, can you believe that?!" They share a look of disbelief, shaking their heads.

"Places, everyone!" Carlos exclaims, stressed, "Someone hand me my sunglasses!" He instructs.

We all rushed to places, wanting to perfect Fabulous from HSM2, because, in Carlos' words, "How else does one impress a person, except by performing elaborate musical numbers for them?"

Oh, and Carlos pronounces 'Bleu' correctly now.

After our flawless number, we were bummed to find that Corbin still hadn't arrived.

"Still no Corbin," Ashlyn informs, "Just Dewey."

Mr. Wood cheered, "Now that is a catchy song! Is that Ariana Grand?"

We couldn't help but burst out laughing, except for Carlos, since Kourtney pushed him into the pool after the performance.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry." I blurt, laughing, crouching down to offer Carlos a hand.

My best friend raised his brows in a challenging manner, taking my hand, only to pull me into the water with him; a scream escaped me, and he laughed.

********************************************

Before rehearsal began, while waiting for Corbin and the crew, we all practiced some warm-ups and exercises; mainly to impress Mr. Bleu — though he still hasn't arrived. We are all at our best today, dressed up, including my brother, who is sporting a beige linen button-up and matching pants, with golden brown loafers.

"Before we begin," Damian earns the attention, "Please, try to be on your best behavior. I know that everybody here is tight-knit, and will air out problems like it's nothing, but while Corbin and Channing are here, act professional, and meet with me privately if there are any issues or concerns, okay?"

Everybody was a bit taken aback by Damian's straightforwardness and serious tone, but quickly agreed.

"Especially because those people live for documentary drama." He went on, "Like when a teacher pairs you up with your crush, just for entertainment."

I wave it off, "Corbin's not like that. He's the sweetest guy ever." My words earn some nods in agreement, while Damian playfully rolls his eyes.

"Just please, you guys," My brother went on, "No drama."

"Drama?" Ricky sarcastically repeats, huffing a laugh, "Could not be us."

"I was looking at you when I said that." Damian jokingly shot back, though his voice sounded serious.

Ricky nodded, with an enthusiastic smile, eyes darting at me. I chuckle gently over how intimidated he is by my brother.

"Let's go over the plan," Damian starts, sitting down. We nod, taking seats before the director's table. "I know they're going to want to hear a song, probably one of the hits, like Let It Go,"

Carlos gasps, pretending to feel faint. I grin, excitedly squeezing his shoulder.

"Or Love Is an Open Door," Damian went on.

I glance over at Jet, and smile softly at him. Ricky is sitting between him and me. He glances between us, puzzled and annoyed.

Jet returns the smile, but with furrowed brows in confusion, "Do I sing that?" His eyes were on me, but everybody heard, and I nodded.

"Yes, you do, with Anna." Damian answered, "Bianca, Jet, I would like you to go over that duet a few times, please."

Jet and I share a grin, completely ignoring Ricky's jealous look as he glances between us.

Ricky snaps out of it when I finally acknowledge him, flashing a smile and raising his brows curiously with a quick hum.

"Bowen," With my hand on his shoulder for a tender squeeze, "Can we switch seats so I can run the song with Jet?"

Ricky was taken aback, quickly glancing back at Jet, who wore a smug smile. He rolled his eyes, before looking back at me with a forced grin, "Sure, Sweeney."

Carlos stifled a laugh, covering his mouth to do so. Switching seats, I raised my brows with a smile in my amused best friend's direction.

Jet grinned, sharing his script with me. I kept my gaze on the paper as we read the song together.

"Carlos," Damian calls, "I don't think I need to ask, but-"

"Yes!" Carlos blurts, "I can sing now-"

My brother playfully waves it off, "Don't ruin the magic, safe it for Corbin." He insists, and my best friend quickly nods in agreement. "I just want you guys to go over the songs." Damian informs.

(Ricky: outside of The Barn)

"Spring Break, Bianca told me about some 'daily affirmation' app she got on her phone, and after her advice to me, I got that app. Couple of weeks ago, it said something along the lines of "Not everything is about you," or "It's not about you." With air quotes, he scoffed a laugh.

"Is that an affirmation or a literal punch in the face? I don't know. All I know is, it's what I keep reminding myself while watching this..weird flirtatious thing going on between Bianca and Jet. Because why would I care? It's not about me, they're my friends!" He attempted to convince, but his tone didn't match his words.

Everybody was focused, going through the script, while still waiting for Corbin and Channing.

Jet and I made quiet banter while going through Love Is an Open Door again, we laughed gently, trying not to bring the attention onto us.

I felt Ricky's eyes burning into us every time we talked or laughed. But I never looked back at him.

I gasp lightly, pointing to the script, "That's my favorite part! You know, when they make the heart around the moon."

Jet shrugs cluelessly, smiling over how excited I got. "I've never seen it!" He reminds.

I playfully roll my eyes, "I still can't believe it. Okay, it's like this.."

I grab his hands, gently bending his fingers to make a heart, before putting my wrists together, with my hands flat out like Anna.

"Just, like..put it," I attempted to explain, but Jet caught on quickly. We laugh once it works.

"Like that?" He questions.

"Yes! I love it!" I beam.

We earned the attention, almost everyone was confused yet amused. Except for Ricky and his jealous state. And Maddox, she seemed a little uncomfortable watching this, her reaction was the same as Damian's.

(Ricky: in front of The Barn)

He shut his eyes in annoyance, "It's still not about me. It's not about me. Bianca's just living her life."

"While we're just sitting here," Carlos earns the attention after some time had passed, his eyes on the script, "Can we talk about Anna's confidence? I mean, asking Elsa to marry Hans like that?"

I nod in agreement, huffing a laugh, "Without having to practice it in the mirror a few times? And in front of Hans?"

"Yeah," Ricky agrees, "It seems like it was his fault, though. He was all over her, rushing her into something she wasn't ready for."

Completely off-topic and confusing, everybody, but not me. Ricky was talking about Jet and me.

I shake my head in disagreement, "I don't see it that way."

Ricky huffs a sarcastic laugh, "Elsa said no because Anna didn't know Hans."

"And," Damian chimes in, catching on that this was deeper than the surface, "Because Hans never proved that he was right for her sister."

Everyone shared the same confused looks, waiting for my brother to continue.

"Look at it this way," He went on, "When my beautiful wife Katrina and I started dating, her family was standoff-ish. I thought it was because of the mistakes I had made; the normal, stupid, teenager mistakes. But, you know what her dad told me?" Damian paused for the dramatic, everyone nodded for him to tell.

"They did like me, I just needed to earn their respect. They knew I loved her, though, from small actions that I didn't even notice were me showing them how much she meant to me, until looking back on it."

As he earns some aww's from around the room, Damian playfully waves it off with a smug grin.

I raise my hand, "It's funny, Kat's family loved me right away." I teasingly brag.

He playfully rolls his eyes, "Kat talked you up because she always wanted a little sister."

I shrug, "I think I'm just likable."

"Oh," Realization dawned on Jet, "You guys are siblings?"

I just realized that he wasn't present when it was discussed.

I nod, "Yeah!"

"I know," Damian starts, as if he understands the confusion, "You're shocked because of how nice I am." We laugh, and I playfully roll my eyes.

Jet nods, smiling, "Humor and good looks run in the family, I see."

My face fell as shock overtook my features, I grew completely uncomfortable. Damian had a similar reaction; taken aback with raised brows, his mouth quirked up wide, as if silently needing Jet to repeat himself, or to say: huh?

The crowd did not seem to think twice about it, however, Ricky pressed his lips together, with judging, narrowed eyes.

Oh, and EJ, who tilted his head as if to say: 'See!', implying that he was right for what he said about my mother, on Thanksgiving.

I roll my eyes because they need to be made aware that calling someone in my family attractive is NOT the way to my heart.

Finally, the man of the hour bursts through the door: "Corbin's on the clock. It's go-time." He announces.

The drama club and I strive to maintain our composure as we stand up and take places. Kourtney and I stay together for him to notice our outfits.

"Damian Sweeney," My brother politely introduced as he stood up, extending his hand out, "I'm the director."

Corbin nodded, as if he already knew everything, "Right."

My brows furrow as confusion crosses my face. Damian didn't let it show, but I know that he was just as confused. Instead, he nodded, "All right, make your rounds."

Corbin made his rounds around our nervous selves, even dodging Ricky's hug. Finally, he approached Kourtney and me, with two thumbs up, "Dope outfits." He compliments.

"She's Kourtney. I'm Bianca, the director's sister." My tone was chill, motioning between the two of us. Kourt was smiling, trying to stay calm.

Corbin nodded as if making a mental note, "Yeah." before moving on.

When Channing, the cameraman, also passed, Kourtney and I took a quick moment to freak out: "Scream!" We quietly beam, while grinning as we face one another.

Corbin then encouraged us to keep warming up, while they checked the sound levels.

Jet reached over to whisper, "The outfits worked?" in shock, remembering how I explained our plan when I ran into him this morning.

"Yes!" I grin.

Kourtney nods, smiling, "Right!"

Ricky, who is standing next to Jet, rolled his eyes.

I felt Corbin and Channing's eyes burning into us, no doubt sensing drama and planning ways to add fuel to the fire—if what my brother said was correct.

The cameraman soon announces, "We're rolling!"

Before Damian could speak, Corbin already began, as if he were the director: "All right! Camp Shallow Lake! I am pumped to be back for this full day of rehearsal, figured with opening night only ten days away." He grins, speaking more so to the camera.

"Ten days away?!" Ricky earns the attention, "That's a reason to celebrate. Bring it in." Once again trying to hug Mr. Bleu, only creating uncomfortable silence. We all judged.

Corbin chuckles politely, "Thanks. Look, I understand that some of you know me as a name and not a person. But I'm just a regular guy who buys his groceries at Erewhon, and has a personal trainer like anybody else."

My brows furrow, with an amused smile in confusion as I glance over, hoping that he is just playing a character for the camera.

"All right? I'm just here to capture some behind-the-scenes footage, so think of me as a fly on the wall. Be yourselves. Let's have some fun. Yeah?" Mr. Bleu concludes.

"Yeah, baby!" Ricky exclaims, arms overhead, "Let's hug it out! Bring it in, come here."

He was ignored once again, as Corbin spoke into the camera, "And here you have it, folks. The very first camp rehearsal of Frozen. Let the show begin." He grins.

*************************
Ricky and I were on stage, holding our scripts as we rehearse What Do You Know About Love?

"Hans is not a stranger!" I read the line as Anna, though feeling it applies to myself.

"Oh, okay," Ricky sarcastically said as Kristoff, "So, what's his last name?" With a knowing look, while motioning to Jet.

Channing caught on, panning the camera onto an annoyed Jet, who shook his head in shame.

It wasn't in the script to roll my eyes, but I did it out of annoyance, since he is bringing up our conversation from last night, into this. Corbin and Channing appeared smug.

"Of the Southern Isles!" I said the line knowingly like Anna, but annoyance was clear in my tone.

Corbin claps his hands quickly, "This is great, let's move on to the song." He instructs.

Ashlyn raises her hand, shooting up from her seat, "I can jump in on piano!"

"Oh, no worries." Val dismisses, "We already got the backing track. So.."

"Not worried." My friend acted for the crew, "But here I am, at the piano, ready to play."

"I like the piano," Corbin chimes in, "That's humble. Let the needy girl play."

My eyes went wide at Mr. Blue's casual insult. Ashlyn's face fell slightly, before shrugging it off and playing the piano.

I brush it off and begin the song, "You've got opinions on my life and my relations. But let me tell you what,"

"Okay. Enlighten me." it was said as Kristoff, but hit too close to home; clear on our faces that it was.

"Love is the one thing that has zero complications. And I can trust my gut." With a knowing look, as if I were actually saying it to him.

Ricky rolls his eyes, "Okay. You frighten me."

"Some people know their hearts the minute true love starts!"

He flipped the page, his eyes on the script, "Some people read a lot of books."

"I like books!" Way more aggressive than needed.

"Let's pick it up." Corbin encouraged, trying to seem perfect for the camera.

"Take it from," Damian earned the attention, his eyes on the script, "Though the question still remains." He instructs.

Ricky and I nod, flipping the pages until landing on that part, as Ashlyn prepares the piano.

"What do you know about love?" We sang together.

"Just, be careful." His look was serious.

"What do you know about love?" We sang again, our eyes locked.

I looked down at the script, "Have a little faith."

"At least we know one thing: this trip should be interesting." As we sang together, I looked up, and we shared a look of agreement.

"What do you know about love? What do you know about love?" Ricky and I finally finish, and the crowd applauds.

"Perfect!" Corbin compliments, before pointing to the camera, "Perfect." He repeats, nodding.

Ricky and I kept our eyes on each other, both in shock over how ironic that song is for us.

"They're pretty good, huh?" Corbin pressed, standing next to an annoyed Jet.

Jet did not respond, only put his hand out in front of the camera to cover his face.

"How about.." Corbin starts, with a smug smile, "We work on the Anna and Hans duet now?"

Everybody grew confused, including Ricky, Jet, and me.

"Actually," Damian chimes in, "Everyone is going to take their seats, let Bianca and Ricky hydrate, and we're gonna welcome Elsa to the stage." He claps, causing everyone to join in.

I nod in agreement, smiling wide, "That's a good idea."

Carlos stood still, eyes wide in shock, which caused everyone to grow confused and concerned.

"Hey," I spoke softly, approaching him, and taking his hands in mine, "You're on."

Carlos swallowed harshly, before huffing an awkward laugh, "I need a minute alone." He quickly walked out.

Alone. It was my turn to freak out, and stand still without knowing what to do next. Shock shadowed my features.

Corbin raised his brows at Channing, as if silently saying: you know what to do.

The cameraman nodded, taking the hint as he finished filming, "Folks, I'm gonna need some B-roll of people acting anxious and confused, all right?"

My brows furrow in judgment, they have no remorse for Carlos.

"And we're rolling!" Channing announced, which caused the campers to over-act for show.

I roll my eyes and shake my head in shame, refusing to be a part of this.

Channing took notice and panned the camera to me as I walk out, "Oh, okay. Don't wanna be in the B-roll? All right, that's fine." He sarcastically remarks.

*********************
I knocked on the door, before trying to open it without a response, but the door was locked.

"Carlos?" I attempted to mask my concern with a gentle tone, "Can you please talk to me?"

I sigh when he doesn't respond, giving him a moment, before knocking in the tune of Do You Want to Build a Snowman?

"Do you wanna build a snowman?" I blurt, trying to lighten the mood.

I heard Carlos chuckle gently, and I smiled at the sound. It sounded like he was near, which led me to believe he was just on the other side of the door, so I sat down with my back against it.

"Are you okay?" I softly question.

I heard him sigh, "I don't know." Carlos blurted, voice breaking like he has been crying.

My face betrayed concern, not that he could see it.

"It's just.." He continued, "I was ready this morning, but when the time actually came.." He sighs, "I just froze. No pun intended."

"Well, you're Elsa, so that checks out." I jest, and we share a gentle laugh.

"Can I come in?" I quietly question.

I heard the door unlock, so I quickly stood up. When Carlos finally let me in, I almost burst into tears upon finding his sad face and tearful eyes. But I pulled myself together and brought him into my embrace.

When Carlos was finally ready to talk, we sat in the bunk.

"This is gonna sound crazy, and I know I don't show it," Carlos sighs, "But.. I just don't feel secure enough in myself to play the lead. Or deserving."

I shake my head, taking his hands in mine, "Carlos, there is nobody who deserves the lead more than you. Nobody who's more captivating and talented. You are the whole package, everything everybody wants to be. You think anyone knows that you're insecure? Everybody thinks that you're overconfident and they all envy that!"

He chuckles gently, and I smile.

"Because you should be," I continue, "I wish there were some magical words that I could say, that could make you see yourself the way I do. Not that there even is a word that captures your beauty, and poise, and talent. I love you so much, Carlos. And I believe in you."

His tears weren't of sadness anymore, as he smiled.

"Carlos, you are the Elsa that Broadway wishes they had." I conclude, my eyes welling up with tears.

My best friend gasped in admiration, "Blanche! That was the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me!"

"It's the truth." I assure, bringing him into my embrace.

*********************************
Carlos and I walk into the canteen, hand in hand. Everybody was just lounging and waiting around, they perked up upon our arrival. Especially Corbin and Channing, who immediately began filming.

"Anna and Elsa," Damian announces, relieved, "Is everything ok?"

Carlos and I lock eyes, nodding in affirmation, as we share a smile.

"Yeah." Carlos replies, looking at everyone, "I want us to take the stage together, if that's ok."

"And trust me," I start, "We've been singing the duets since yesterday, we know all the words."

"I can attest," Kourtney chimes in, "I shared a tent with them last night." We laugh.

My brother nods, smiling proudly.

****************************
Carlos takes a deep breath, with his eyes shut as he faces the curtain. Ashlyn began the piano for 'I Can't Lose You.'

"Standing frozen," Carlos started the song, timid, "In this life I've chosen. Please don't find me... The past is all behind me.."

He turned around to face everyone, eyes opened, and sounding more confident, "Leave me in the snow. Let me go." Carlos walked away dramatically like Elsa.

"I don't wanna let you go." I approached him.

Carlos turned his head to look at me, "I'm just trying to protect you,"

"You don't have to protect me! I'm not afraid!"

The piano began once again, and it suddenly felt like we were on a lit-up stage, in our costumes.

Carlos turned to face me, "What do you want, Anna?"

"This." I motioned around, before singing, "Just you and I talking and chatting, and taking up space. And you. You look so at peace. Which I did not predict after all that took place. I'm so sorry. I didn't know, I couldn't see. I knew you were hiding, but selfishly thought you were hiding from me.." I hold the note, with a hand over my heart.

"That's why I've come all this way," I began again, "To look in your eyes and say.. I can't lose you, not again. I can't lose you like then."

Carlos turned his back like Elsa, as I continued singing, "If you could see yourself the way I do," I put my hand on his shoulder, feeling that line relates to us, "Then you'd see why I can't lose you."

"Wait!" He began, stepping away, "I'm happy you came, but it's not safe to stay here and talk. Don't get close, this is all so brand new.."

Carlos stood upstage, arms out in showcase, "Let me first learn to crawl before I try to walk. I'm at home here: out in the cold, up in the air. But it all turns to chaos near people I love, and with how much I care. Please don't remind me to feel. Believe me, the danger is real."

"I can't lose you," We sang together, "Not again. I can't lose you like then. I can't lose you, like before."

"As much as I wish I could open that door," He sang.

"Why can't you open that door?" I added.

We approached closer, taking hands, "If you loved yourself the way I do, then you'd see why I can't lose you!"

After finishing the note, I brought Carlos into my embrace, we shared a tight hug. Everyone cheered for us.

"I'm so proud of you!" I praise.

"Whoo, Carlos!" There was a loud cheer, and it came from none other than Jarred, the guy who is clearly crushing on Carlos.

****************************
After a lunch break, we gathered in The Barn once again.

"Bianca and," Corbin called, trailing off in confusion, "Jack?"

"Jet." Damian corrects.

"Jet!" Corbin repeats, nodding, "Thank you, Ian."

Confusion crosses my brother's face, "That's right, in a way, but probably not the way you meant it." Damian quietly remarks, and I almost burst out laughing.

The camera pans to Jet, and he rolls his eyes, approaching. While I have already made my way to the stage.

I offer a smile, but Jet does not return it.

"The angst.." Channing whispers, capturing every angle, "Secret feelings? Uncomfortable tension. Ex-lovers?" He was prying, confusing us.

Jet huffs an awkward laugh, "I've only known her for, like, four days." This earned light laughs from around the room, just to abolish the discomfort Channing created.

I force a smile, nodding along. While Ricky rolled his eyes, he was not amused in the slightest, which caused Corbin to snap his fingers in Ricky's direction for Channing to point the camera at him.

Ricky, however, quickly forced a smile, "Best cast ever!" He loudly lies to appear casual, arms overhead. My eyes widen as we are all shocked by his reaction. He turned away in annoyance.

Corbin plays it off, smiling, with his arms out in showcase, "Anna and Hans knew each other for only a few hours!"

"Let's take it from the top." Damian instructs. Ashlyn nods, starting the piano.

"Okay, can I just say something crazy?" I start off, before doing an awkward laugh as scripted.

"I love crazy." Jet said the line like it were a crazy coincidence, holding his script.

"All my life has been a series of doors in my face," I sang, looking out at the crowd to nail Anna's discomfort, "And then suddenly I bump into you.." I shyly pointed at him as he stood behind me.

"I was thinking the same thing!" He blurts, I turned around to look at him, acting shocked.

"Cause, like..." He looks down at his script, "I've been searching my whole life to find my own place. And maybe it's the party talking or the chocolate fondue.."

"But with you," I began the note, he joined in.

This is the part where Anna and Hans ease up, and that happened to Jet and me, since it started off slightly uncomfortable — as we both weren't at our best because of the pressure and tension that Channing created. But we eased into it, smiling at one another.

"I've found my place," He sang.

"I see your face," I add.

"And it's nothing like I've ever known before," We sing together, standing closer, "Love is an open door,"

During the note, we backed away and looked at the crowd, "Love is an open door."

"Door," Jet nailed the iconic Hans note.

"Love is an open door!" We sang together.

"With you." I add, nudging his arm with my elbow.

"With you." He repeats, pointing at me.

"With you." I grin, motioning my head at him.

He smiles, turning to face me, with his arms out, "With you!"

"Love is an open door." We sang together, before walking to opposite sides of the stage.

I snuck a quick look at the crowd, Channing was capturing every angle, while everyone else was amused; except for Ricky, who had his arms crossed, unable to hide his jealousy.

"I mean it's crazy," Jet began.

I turned around to look at him, "What?"

"We finish each others'-"

"Sandwiches!"

He approached closer, grinning, "That's what I was gonna say!"

I met him halfway, as we sang, "I've never met someone who thinks so much like me."

Then, I put my hand up, and Jet looked down at the script, confused, before putting his hand up to mine, realizing it was part of the script. We share a smile, both trying not to laugh over how uncoordinated he is.

"Jinx. Jinx again! Our mental synchronization can have but one explanation.."

"You," He began.

"And I," I add.

"Were just meant to be." We sang together.

"Say goodbye," I began the note.

"Say goodbye," Jet added, taking my hand.

"To the pain of the past," We sang together, "We don't have to feel it anymore. Love is an open door."

We finished the second chorus, hand in hand. Then, I smiled wide when Jet came up behind me to recreate 'the heart around the moon' with our hands, nailing it again.

"Can I say something crazy?" He stayed behind me, with his hands on my waist, "Will you marry me?"

I stayed there, lifting my head to look at him, "Can I say something even crazier? Yes!"

The crowd applauded, with Corbin once again signaling for Channing to pan to a jealous Ricky, who had to uncross his arms and fake cheer for us.

I smiled to hide my growing confusion when Jet wouldn't let go. The look in his eyes told me he was building up courage.

While I grew uncomfortable, Jet must've mistook that tension for me sharing his desire, as he shut his eyes and slowly leaned in. My heart began to pound as discomfort heated my body, I went into fight or flight, instantly pulling away with an uncomfortable, huffed laugh, while folding my hands behind my back.

His attempt to kiss me would have gone unnoticed if I wouldn't have pulled away abruptly.

My wide eyes scanned the stunned expressions of the people around me, noticing Ricky's intense scowl and Damian's expression that suggested he is one second away from chasing Jet out of camp.

"Jet," He couldn't even hide his protective brother mode for the sake of 'no drama', and I shut my eyes in embarrassment. "I didn't add a kiss. Kissing the villain wouldn't make any sense."

"Ooh," Channing expressed, loving every moment. "Protective brother, yes!" He added, before panning the camera onto Ricky, "What about you, what did you think?"

Ricky scoffed a laugh, shrugging, "Bianca's a born leading lady, she's incredible. And I hope that she will only ever have scene partners who respect her. Right, Jet?" He taunts.

"Of course," Jet blurts, defensive, "I do respect her."

"Really?" Ricky sarcastically starts, raising his voice.

"Hey," Damian chimes, "Ricky, take five. And Jet, don't get out of line, keep everything the way it is in the script."

Ricky obliged, going into the back room, while attempting to contain his rage.

Jet, however, did not mask his anger and embarrassment, he rolled his eyes and stormed out of The Barn.

I felt stuck, an embarrassed mess as I watched this all unfold. Everyone in the audience was equally astonished and awkwardly watching.

"Bianca," Damian continues "I need to talk to you privately. Corbin, Channing, that's enough for today."

While gazing into the camera, Corbin parted his lips to appear shocked for suspense, before smiling and pointing, "'Till next time, Shallow Lake."

*************************
I huff a laugh, with an uncomfortable smile, "So much for 'no drama'." I sarcastically remark, following Damian backstage.

"What is going on between you and Jet?" He pressed, crossing his arms, "You looked uncomfortable up there."

"Go easy on him, okay?" I blurt, shaking my head.

Carlos approaches and brings me into his embrace, "Jet is just an emo boy of Shallow Lake, he can't hurt you." My best friend soothes.

I chuckle gently, pulling away, "Carlos, I'm fine."

"See," Damian starts, "Ricky's reaction, I liked. He's respectful. Jet tried to kiss you in front of me, then stormed out like a bitch when I called him out. You don't deserve that."

Carlos nods, "Exactly! I agree, Damie."

"Especially since you've only known this guy for, what, four days?" My brother points out.

I playfully roll my eyes, shaking my head, "It's not that deep. EJ and I kissed the night we met."

"Ew," Damian expressed, taken aback, "I did not need to know that!" Carlos and I laugh.

"Uh, guys," Val approaches, "Sorry to interrupt. I just wanted to remind you guys that movie night starts- if that's something that we're still doing." She uncomfortably blurts.

Damian nods, "I think.." He glanced at me to check in, and I nod in affirmation. "We are." He confirms.

I smile, "Definitely."

***************************************************

Movie night was about to start, and Jet was still nowhere to be found; assuming he is in the Yurt, I knock on the door.

"Jet, it's me: Bianca," I announce.

"It's open." He finally responds. I let myself in and find Jet in his bunk, reading a bird book.

I offer a smile, "Hey, Jet."

"Hey," He greets, sitting up in his bunk, and resting his back against the wall, "If you wanna talk, you can come up here."

I gasp, taking off my shoes, "This feels scandalous."

He shrugs, "I'm already in trouble with everyone."

I wave it off, before climbing up to his bunk and sitting cross-legged opposite him.

"I'm sorry, Jet. I should have pulled away more casually than I did."

Jet shakes his head dismissively, "I'm sorry I made you look bad in front of the guys."

I shrug, "I think drama is what they want."

He huffs a laugh, nodding, "I caught that, too."

I wanted things to feel ok again, so I snatched his book, while laughing lightly, "California birds" this is what interests you?!" I tease, flipping through the pages.

"Come on," He waves it off, humorously, "I love birds, Bianca."

My eyes narrow, closing the book, "You didn't strike me as the type."

He shrugs cluelessly, "An animal lover? Seriously, what did you think my favorite animal was?"

"Hm," I hum in consideration, while glancing up, before shrugging, "Do sharks count?"

"Sharks?!" Jet repeats, laughing.

I nod, laughing, "Yes!"

"Sharks are fish." He corrects, assuredly.

"They count!" I insist, "They're my favorite."

"Don't you read? I thought you "liked books!" He mimics my aggressive tone during rehearsal earlier, the line from What Do You Know About Love?

I huff a laugh, shaking my head, "No." I jest.

"What was that about, anyway? That performance seemed..real."

I wave it off, averting my gaze, "We're just good actors. So, are you gonna come to movie night?" I quickly blurted.

Jet shrugs, "It's not really my thing. Plus, I embarrassed myself earlier. I don't think anyone wants to see me, especially Ricky and your brother. Damian was literally just in here and was all like, "That's my sister, and I could remove you from the cast," and about how I need to be respectful. It was harsh." He huffs an uncomfortable laugh.

I offer a small smile, "I'm sorry about that."

Jet waves it off, "It's nice to see strong sibling bonds."

"Only child?" I assume.

He shakes his head, "No. Just not close anymore." He then blurted out: "Another thing, you and Ricky say nothing happened between you guys, but with the way he looks at you, and the tension around you guys, and the way he was mad at me-"

"Jet," I put an end to his ranting, "Ricky and I have been through a lot together, but it's not what you think. It's more of an emotional bond."

He tilts his head, with a knowing look, "That's literally soulmate-ism."

I chuckle gently, shaking my head, "That's not a word!"

"Okay, Miss Sharks are animals." Jet jokingly shot back, and we laugh.

************************
There was no convincing Jet to join movie night, so I walked into The Barn alone; only to be greeted by Ricky, wearing a proud grin while walking towards me. He is holding a small, white bowl decorated with blue polka dots, preserved with sour gummy worms and Twizzlers. And in his left hand, an orange drink with a strawless lid.

The corners of my mouth quirk up, meeting him halfway, "Bowen," I greet, tilting my head forward slightly.

He smiles, handing me the cup, "I don't know why you like it,"

My brows furrow, taking it. "It just tastes like Gatorade." He concludes.

I fake a disgusted look, "You drank it?"

"I've tried this drink before, Sweeney." He humorously corrects.

"Good, the last thing I wanna do is share your germs." I quip, before taking a sip from the strawless lid.

"Sucks for you, I heard Anna and Kristoff kiss?" He teases.

I playfully roll my eyes, practically chugging down the juice just to downplay my smile.

"Unlike Anna and Hans." He remarks, with a knowing look.

I clear my throat after swallowing the juice, "I walked right into that."

"I don't like that he did that." Ricky was now serious.

I sigh, shaking my head, "Bowen, I appreciate you looking out for me like I did with you, but I don't need it, okay?"

He scoffs a laugh, "Like that's gonna stop me."

"The only discomfort I felt was because my brother was in the room, and all of the cameras. I wasn't uncomfortable by Jet."

I was attempting to convince him, but there was no use. I am a horrible liar.

Ricky nods along, "Uh-huh." Sarcastically.

I roll my eyes, "I think we've established that I know more about love than you do."

"Oh, you love him?" Jealously in his sarcastic tone.

"Maybe." I tease, shrugging.

He knowingly glanced over, "Where's your Prince Charming now?"

I pondered a moment, before faking a confident tone, "Sleeping."

Ricky huffs a laugh, acting as if he believes me, "Oh, okay. Anyway.. here." He holds out the bowl.

I take it, chuckling gently as I observe the candies, "Thank you."

"Only the pink and blue, your favorite." Proudly.

"Damian told you this?" I teasingly assume, brows furrowed.

He shrugs, "Maybe. We were worried about you."

I shake my head in shame, "You guys are making a big deal out- wait, you and Damian talked?"

Ricky nods proudly, "We did. I think he's warming up to me. I even ordered him some popcorn."

I nod along, impressed, before giving his shoulder a tender squeeze to show it, "Look at you." I casually praise.

He smiles proudly, "I put the Twizzlers in there for me," He humorously informs, taking the bowl, "So this is ours."

I nod enthusiastically, "Oh, right. Okay, hold our drink, too?" I sarcastically suggest, "Because it's your favorite."

He huffs a laugh, taking the cup, "You're hilarious, Sweeney." sarcastically.

I grin proudly, shrugging, "I know!"

"Hey, B," Ashlyn calls, approaching.

"I'll save you a seat." Ricky promises.

His words make me smile wide and nod, as my heart skips a beat, "Okay." I quietly blurt.

"Ooh," Ashlyn teases, as Ricky walks away.

I playfully roll my eyes, shaking my head.

"It seems like everybody's saving seats for everyone today." She chuckles sarcastically.

My brows furrow, smiling to mask my confusion, "What?"

"First off, how are you?" She blurts, "After Jet tried to kiss you."

I wave it off, "Everything's fine, Ash."

She nods along, not quite believing me. "Okay. Now, do you remember when you convinced me to put some streaks in my hair, and I thought I'd be super embarrassed and awkward about it, but then I ended up loving it?"

I nod, smiling, "Of course, I do."

"Like, I was so stuck in my head, thinking that I would be uncomfortable, and I surprised myself by feeling confident about it. Like.." She sighs, trailing off, "I think I know who I am. I mean, I'm super sure of myself. Right?"

"Ash," I gently start, "It's normal to not know who you are. It's not something that ends at a certain age, figuring yourself out is something that can take a while. We're always changing, just like how you're finding your identity in your new Leo rising status, when not even 24 hours ago, you were panicking, thinking you would never figure it out. But you did, it just takes time. Just remember, there is no 'right time' to figure yourself out."

She nods, huffing anxiously, "I really didn't wanna hear that, but I needed to!"

"You're gonna be okay." I assure, nodding assuredly.

Her eyes soften, huffing, "Thanks, B. I remember when you use to be bad at comforting people, and when everything sincere you said, sounded like sarcasm,"

I huff a laugh, my heart swelling at the memory and how long we have been friends.

"You're so grown up now!" She admires, grinning, before bringing me into a hug.

We share a gentle laugh, swaying each other gently.

"I won't keep you," She pulls away, "Your Christopher Wilde is waiting."

I chuckle gently, "Stop!"

Ashlyn nods, laughing as she walks away.

Maddox approaches from outside, leading me to believe that she was listening. "Therapist friend, who needs therapy herself?" She sarcastically assumes.

I hum in consideration, eyes wide for emphasis.

She sighs, smiling, "I am too, Poison Ivy." We share a laugh in understanding.

"We can be there for each other." I suggest, shrugging.

"I'd like that." She grins, before glancing down, "Can I start by apologizing about Jet?"

I wave it off, "You don't have to. Everybody's making a big deal-"

"He's my brother." She blurts, finally meeting my gaze.

Shock crosses my face, "What?" was all I could manage.

She huffs a laugh, nodding, "I know I've been acting weird today, maybe like I was uncomfortable, it's just..hard for me to share this with him. Camp was my thing, and he doesn't even like it here, but now, he's getting everything handed to him."

I nod along, "That's understandable."

"It's just.." She sighs, crossing her arms, "Everybody loves him, but they think I'm odd?"

"If it makes you feel any better, everybody's afraid of Jet. Only I like him, especially right now."

Maddox chuckles gently, nodding, "Yeah, that kind of helps."

I smile, "You're a good person, Gadget. They'll come around, I promise."

"Thanks, Poison Ivy." She grins, "It's nice to talk to someone who gets it. And hey, don't listen to the gossip."

"Hold up," I blurt, completely taken aback, "What gossip?"

"Oh," She mutters, regretful, "Everyone's been talking about you and Ricky. Val thinks that there's something going on between you guys. Like, the you're mean to each other but secretly obsessed thing. I mean, I've been there!"

"Gadget," I put an end to her anxious ranting, "It's fine. Don't worry about it. I'm used to that."

Maddox nods quickly, "Okay. Well, enjoy the movie!" She blurts, walking away, and I smile.

I suddenly felt nervous, in a good way, I suppose. As my eyes scanned the crowd to find the spot Ricky saved for us. With our snacks.

I also found the screen that played Camp Rock, it is about 30 minutes into the movie. Then, I finally built up courage to fill the empty spot that he saved for me. Ricky wore a greeting grin, with a Twizzler in hand. I smile, before sitting next to him, with my knees to my chest.

"I just realized that I've never seen this movie all the way through." He points out, with a confused look and gentle chuckle.

My jaw drops playfully, "Your lack of knowing iconic movies, continues to surprise me!"

He shrugs, "I know."

Ricky was enjoying the movie, while I felt awkward — stiff. I wanted him to put his arm around me, though I understand why he hasn't. I needed to get it through to him.

After picking up my drink and taking a sip, I glanced over to find Ashlyn and Maddox talking by the snack bar, while Ash was ranting, I sent an encouraging wink in Maddox's direction, as if proving I was right, and that everyone is going to warm up to her just fine. She smiled appreciatively.

Then, I realized that I needed to take my own advice — not literally, I just needed to find the courage I expect others to have.

"I'm freezing." I casually mention, setting my drink aside.

Ricky scoffs playfully, taking off his dark flannel, "That's why I came prepared."

My jaw drops as I tilt my head, with disbelief on my face, "Seriously, Bowen?"

"Come on," He motions for me to turn so he can put his jacket on me, and I happily oblige.

"You knew I was gonna get cold?" I question, already feeling warmer, with the help of the sweet gesture that heated my body.

How many times will he give me his jacket until I'm used to it?

Ricky nods, "Yes, I did." proudly, yet knowingly.

He spoke too loudly, earning a chorus of shushes from the campers trying to enjoy the movie. This made me almost burst into laughter, I had to cover my mouth and put my head down on his shoulder to stifle my laughter. Ricky chuckled gently over my amusement, with a hand on my back.

After squashing the discomfort, a wave of confidence washed over me, and once we were able to control our laughter, I fixed my posture and quietly blurted out, "Bowen,"

"Sweeney," He playfully mocked my tone.

"I know you haven't seen this movie all the way," I smile knowingly, grabbing his arm to gently place it around my shoulder.

Confusion crossed his face, along with a wide smile.

"But this is the part where a douche like Shane Gray would put his arm around a cold Mitchie Torres." I explain, my tone slightly dramatic.

"Oh," He quietly acknowledged, nodding, while pulling me in closer. "That sounds right. Gotta take notes from that guy."

I nod in agreement, with a gentle chuckle as I cuddle into him and rest my head on his shoulder.

There was a high squeal, it was quick, and only I heard it. I wasn't surprised to find Carlos, who was expressing his happiness for me because of Ricky's arm around my shoulder. Without moving, I smile wide, in the direction of Carlos, who is sitting next to a fast asleep Damian.

I relaxed beside Ricky, finally feeling comfortable and safe.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

663 25 20
[COMPLETE] Both Chloe Grey and Ricky Bowen want to try something new. A musical. During the journey Chloe, who has experience with all performing art...
32.9K 690 23
"i love the way you get me but correct me if i'm wrong , this is not a love song " In Which Two teens with an unresolved past try out for the schoo...
242K 6.1K 57
Hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have Andy Kennedy had two different lives, musical theatre with her best friend Ashlyn and skateboa...
50K 992 16
Ricky Bowen and Nini Salazar-Roberts have hated each other since the day they met, much to the disklike of their friends. If they hate each other so...