Safe Place

By naislibrary

"You might not know it yet, Zara. But ever since I saw you in that gas station, I knew you and me were destin... More

CHARACTERS + TWS + TROPES
PLAYLIST
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
19
20
21
22
23
24

18

7.7K 130 115
By naislibrary

ZARA

The beach house was two weeks ago. Our final day was actually quite straightforward. We went to the beach and then had a huge dinner at this random fancy restaurant. Since the bar, Aiden and I haven't spoken much. I hate it when people try to tell me what to do, but when that girl was all over him, it made me feel envious in a way that I normally wouldn't feel. I didn't like that side of me. Especially the fact that he made it come out of me out of all people.

Aiden always approaches me when I leave class and wraps me into his arms to prevent anybody from becoming suspicious of us. In addition to being bothersome, the fact that we share a room makes it worse because I don't want to even breathe the same air as him right now.

Mae left to go back to Canada, which made it a very heartbreaking goodbye because she's practically my sister in my eyes. While she used to be in our dorm, I ended up letting Aiden sleep in his bedroom alone while I slept on Sophie's tiny bed with her. I might've been uncomfortable but it's better then sleeping with him.
I think...

My bedroom and the living room underwent renovations over the course of the last two weeks, among other things. In order to finally unwind in the living room while Aiden was at practice, I was able to sleep in my bedroom again.

I adore spending time alone myself.

(So sorry to interrupt angels!! but I wanted to give you guys an imagination on Zara's room, so here you go.)

(This is personally what I imagine because Zara loves a lot of space but wants to be cozy 24/7. Also in the corner of her room there is a bookshelf and a huge closet! But you guys imagine whatever you want, that is what reading is for! Now let's get back to reading.)

Even though I have been pissed at Aiden, we still have a deal. And instead of us going out to do whatever we want together, I just make him deliver food to my room instead.

Well, because I'm in Los Angeles right now, none of that really matters. At my cousin's apartment, five hours' trip from Elwood. I knock on Skylar's door three times to let her know it's me, but her closest friend Aubrey answers the door instead.

"Zara!" She shouts with the brightest beam across her face as she pulls me in for a hug. "I thought I would've never see you again ever since you basically moved to New York." Her blonde hair falling over her shoulders as her blue almond eyes look up at me in excitement.

Skylar didn't tell people that I was coming over?
Considering that I'm practically best friends with her best friends should mean that she should tell them that I'm flying to her. She probably just forgot. It's fine.

"I needed to come over! it was like 2 months since I saw you guys." I plop onto the couch finally resting after flying in an uncomfortable position for 5 hours on the plane. "So, where's Skylar?" I continue.

"She's showering." She says with the same beam from a minute ago still on her face.

The purest sunshine ever in this world is Aubrey. She always manages to make things more delightful and exciting, especially when it comes to me because she claims that my mood is usually down all the time. Skylar shares my personality, therefore the same goes for her. The fact that Aubrey lives in the same building as Skylar and acts as a reassuring best friend, though, really helps Skylar because she isn't currently getting along well with her family, and even I can tell.

Skylar has always been treated poorly by her family, who referred to her as an embarrassment given the fact that her sister is literally famous. She spent her entire life believing she wasn't good enough. But I believe that with my support, she is gradually realizing her value.

"I'll go get you something to eat, you probably haven't had a real meal in forever." As her body rises, I see her wince painfully. Her eyebrows scrunching up and a grimace forming across her heart shaped lips. I glance down to see her limping. "Why are you limping?" I trail her unorganized steps.

She turns to me, her hair whipping to the side shielding the right side of her face. "Fractured my ankle and didn't go to the hospital."

"Aub, you aren't invincible." I chuckle before we're interrupted with Skylar out the bathroom. Her dark hair and light eyes shine from a distance as I squeal in excitement running up to her, giving her the biggest hug. Her wet hair slightly grazes my neck and sends shivers down my spine.

Despite the fact that it had just recently been since I had last seen Skylar. She was terribly missed. Since the day we were born, my cousin and I have been close and have shared everything. We get to experience a lot of things together because of our  ages, which makes it even better having a cousin like her.-

It doesn't take long for someone to burst through the door.
Maya.
"Hey bitches! wanna go out- ZARA!" She realizes I'm here screaming into the air, she lets out her trademark dramatic gasp and jumps on top of me, grabbing me in the most powerful hug I have ever felt.

"Anywho," She releases her hold on me. "Skylar has been very upset so I've been dragging her along to do fun stuff with me while Aubrey motivates her in the corner."

I turn my head to Skylar to see her shake her head in disappointment. "You know I can hear you, right?"
"You know I don't care, right?"

Maya can come off a little bit mean sometimes but she has never been anyone else other than a caring person that would do anything for her friends.
"Come on. Let's go out to eat." She holds on to Skylar's hand grinning.
"All of us." She looks across the room.
"Sounds good to me."

ೄྀ࿐ ˊˎ-

We ended up going to Applebee's since we didn't want to eat at an expensive restaurant, which usually serves bland dishes. I ordered my usual order of blue cheese-topped boneless barbecue wings. As soon as our food is served, I scan all around the entire space before I hear a clear voice from a distance. "Carter, Carter, Carter!" I notice a football game is being played when I look up to the television that is set directly in front of us.
Aiden is there.
On the screen, playing.

He lives all the way back in New York, so is he really that well-known to be on television in Los Angeles? Sometimes I truly do underestimate others, especially him. Aiden is still in my line of sight as he's speeding across the field with the football in his arms, dodging the opposite team.
As the camera gets closer to Aiden's body, I squint to get a better vision of my hair tie around his wrist.

That's the hair tie I asked him to hold for me while I was swimming in the ocean. He brought it with him to his game.
I smile at the sweet gesture.
Shit. I'm supposed to be mad at him!

"Zara, you haven't even touched your food yet." Skylar mentions munching on her last couple bites.
A few seconds pass before I feel a tap on my shoulder. I set back to reality taking a deep breath. "Sorry, got distracted."

They follow my eyes looking at the TV. "It's Aiden! Did you guys hear he has a girlfriend?" Aubrey pleads.

Realization hits me. I didn't tell them about me and Aiden and the fact that we're literally roommates. They have connections to Mae which means I can't tell them our relationship is fake.
"I have to catch you guys up on a lot." I say sparing them each slight glances nervously.
They all look at me nodding their head, focusing all their attention to my direction.

"Me and Aiden are roommates." I sputter out.
"What! I knew you guys went to the same school, but roommates? That's crazy. That must be amazing." Maya exclaims in shock as the rest of them look at me with their mouths wide open.

"It's the farthest thing from amazing. His ego was huge when I first met him." I laugh.
"Was?" Skylar questions.
"He opens up to me sometimes...I guess." I murmur hoping they won't hear me well enough.

"THE Aiden Carter opens up to you? Zara he doesn't even do that with his ex's." One of the girls say but I'm drowning too much in my thoughts to realize what's going on around me.
"He must be obsessed with her!" Aubrey shrieks.

Obsessed with me? God no. Deep down he hates me which is probably why he loves to piss me off so much. I should just tell them that we're 'dating' and get this over with.

"Me and Aiden- uh, we're dating." I press my lips together anxiously.

Aubrey and Maya leap out their chairs in excitement jumping around as they both grab me for a hug. I start to feel claustrophobic trying to find a small space in between us where I can breath before they finally let me go.

I exhale before Skylar slowly comes up to me giving me her own personal hug. She wraps her arms around me as she lowers her head to my ear. "He doesn't seem like a guy you'd date but if you're happy I'm happy." She whispers.

Skylar knows me best. She knows I wouldn't go for guys like him and yet she's still being supportive. It suddenly feels like a weight has been lifted off my chest. "No more boy talk." I flash them a smile.

"Of course." They smile right back at me. "Now finish your food." Skylar demands moving my wings closer to me.
"Gladly." I look down at my delicious plate, but it feels like I'm missing something.

I think I miss Aiden.

WRITERS NOTE
This chapter is kind of short but it's fine.
How are you guys liking Aubrey, Maya and Skylar?
Also my friend will most likely write a book about Skylar but it would be held in her sophomore year of college. So if that comes out anytime soon I'll be sure to let you guys know! Anyways I love you all so much :))

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.8K 641 53
Zara was leaving the man who she considered to be the love of her life, who'd become her first ever home, to pursue her life-long dreams. Heartbroken...
238K 3.9K 54
"Don't..." he rubbed my clit slowly, and I gasped, closing my eyes shut. "You ever think of talking about that damn blondie in front of me again," he...
974 78 34
Aiden Caruso is a man full of deep and dark secrets that have the ability to destroy someone else's life. He is the Italian formidable heir of the Ca...
6.7K 528 20
Alina: I've been playing the part of the picture-perfect daughter for years. My whole life has been planned for me since I was born and I was groomed...