Purple Rain.

By madd_libbs

In which the healing process becomes a lot more difficult than (Y/n) (Y/l/n) would have expected. Book Four o... More

Info.
Year Six - The Order of the Phoenix
Chapter One.
Chapter Two.
Chapter Three.
Chapter Four.
Chapter Five.
Chapter Six.
Chapter Seven.
Chapter Eight.
Chapter Nine.
Chapter Ten.
Chapter Eleven.
Chapter Twelve.
Chapter Thirteen.
Chapter Fourteen.
Chapter Fifteen.
Chapter Sixteen.
Chapter Seventeen.
Chapter Eighteen.
Chapter Nineteen.
Chapter Twenty.
Chapter Twenty-One.
Chapter Twenty-Two.
Chapter Twenty-Three.
Chapter Twenty-Four.
Chapter Twenty-Five.
Chapter Twenty-Six.
Chapter Twenty-Seven.
Chapter Twenty-Eight.
Chapter Twenty-Nine.
Chapter Thirty.
Chapter Thirty-One.
Chapter Thirty-Two.
Chapter Thirty-Three.
Chapter Thirty-Four.
Chapter Thirty-Five.
Chapter Thirty-Seven.
Chapter Thirty-Eight.
Chapter Thirty-Nine.
Chapter Forty.
Chapter Forty-One.
Chapter Forty-Two.
Chapter Forty-Three.
Chapter Forty-Four.
Chapter Forty-Five.
Chapter Forty-Six.
Chapter Forty-Seven.
Chapter Forty-Eight.
Chapter Forty-Nine.
Chapter Fifty.
Chapter Fifty-One.
Chapter Fifty-Two.
Chapter Fifty-Three.
Chapter Fifty-Four.
Chapter Fifty-Five.
Chapter Fifty-Six.
Chapter Fifty-Seven.
Chapter Fifty-Eight.
Chapter Fifty-Nine.
Chapter Sixty.
Chapter Sixty-One.
Chapter Sixty-Two.
Chapter Sixty-Three.
Chapter Sixty-Four.
Chapter Sixty-Five.
Chapter Sixty-Six.
Chapter Sixty-Seven.
Chapter Sixty-Eight.
Chapter Sixty-Nine.
Chapter Seventy.
Chapter Seventy-One.
Chapter Seventy-Two.
Chapter Seventy-Three.
Fin and Book Five.

Chapter Thirty-Six.

404 31 1
By madd_libbs

"They're here," (Y/n) whispered to the Strange Women Society. Angelina was the only one not present due to the Gryffindor versus Slytherin game being tomorrow. Leanne, who was the secretary and thus in charge of welcoming the two girls, was above ground, patiently waiting in the abandoned garden. She heard Leanne's frightened squeak the moment the masked Ginny Weasley and Luna Lovegood walked into sight.

"You've both managed to decode your letter," Leanne began proudly.

"Hello, Leanne," Luna greeted airily. (Y/n) gasped and covered her grin with her hand.

"What?" Padma whispered, looking up.

"I— what?" Leanne cried.

"It is you, isn't it?" Ginny mused. "You guys really need a better disguise... I probably wouldn't have guessed if it weren't for your accent... And for Luna, not many people have hair as pale as hers..."

"Ginny and Luna know it's Leanne," (Y/n) said. The girls gaped.

"Well, you got me," Leanne sighed. 

"So, what's this about?" Ginny asked.

"If you pass nine tests, you'll be welcomed into our top-secret Strange Women Society," Leanne paraphrased. "It originates all the way back to the witch burnings and gave women a safe space during an unsafe time. As our lives aren't necessarily on the line, it has since morphed into girls supporting girls from behind a curtain... You are allowed to back out of the trials if you are not interested in putting in actual effort to make a change... We study the magic that is not taught in school, discuss ideas, gossip, go over school material, and express ourselves."

"Neat," Ginny said. 

"What've you guys done so far?" Luna asked. Leanne lit up, ecstatic to brag about the club.

"So far, previous members of the Strange Women Society have pushed and succeeded with getting closer pay to men in the Ministry," Leanne began. "They have organized a huge protest back in the late '70s, early '80s to push for more women in the Wizengamot— and they succeeded. Multiple Ministry-funded programs to help less well-off ladies in getting good opportunities and school material have started because of the women in the Strange Women Society. Artemisia Lufkin, the first female Minister, was a past member of our society as was Minister Millicent Bagnold."

"Oh wow," Ginny murmured. "Would you say there's a lot of Strange Women in the Ministry?"

"Hm... as much as there can be," Leanne said. "(Y/m/n) Whistler reformed the society back in the '70s because it had previously been disbanded." Though Leanne could see it under Ginny's mask, her eyebrows rose. "Anyways, the Society has a lot of connections in and outside the Ministry, so, naturally we recruit girls who will be of equal assistance and receive equal assistance."

"So... what kind of tests? Combat? Magic? I'm pretty good at jinxes—"

"As great as that is," Leanne grinned, "we test loyalty, skills, ability, reason, problem-solving, adaptability, efficiency, and courage. Nine tasks for nine phases of the moon."

"Uh... how do you do it? Will we get letters for every task?"

"You won't know you're being tested," Leanne answered. "But you will know if you failed one because you'll get a letter swearing you to secrecy and informing you that you haven't made the club... If you do make the club, you'll be welcomed a day before a reunion party in mid-November."

"All right then..." Ginny murmured.

"Just know that we have eyes and ears everywhere," Leanne said. "So, uh, be on your best behaviour."

"Will do," Ginny nodded. Luna tilted her head.

"Hm... all right," Luna said. Leanne smiled nervously, knowing fully well that properly testing Luna would be a challenge.

"Well, best be off," Leanne said.

"Yea," Ginny nodded. 

Leanne waited until Ginny and Luna were entirely out of sight before she slipped her ring onto the statue, took it back, and hurriedly descended the stairs. "They're smart," she said simply. "They both knew who I was."

"I think it's because they actually know you," (Y/n) answered. "I mean, you guys didn't know Narcissus last year and Leanne and I didn't know Ivy."

"Still smart," Leanne shrugged. "Do I have a distinct accent or something?"

"Very," several people chorused. Leanne pouted.

"Let's start planning their tests," (Y/n) said. "Based on what we already know they're strong in."

"I don't know Luna well enough for that," Susan said.

"Then I'll handle the more personalized tests," (Y/n) said. Susan nodded.

"Did I already tell you that Trelawney's on probation?" Parvati frowned.

"Of course she is," Angelina said. Parvati's head shot up and her eyes narrowed. "Nothing to do with Trelawney, just Umbridge. I bet Professor Burbage, Professor Sprout, and Professor McGonagall are all next."

"Why McGonagall?" Lavender gasped. "I think she teaches her subject splendidly."

"Because Minnie's one of the few that are openly hostile to Umbridge," (Y/n) said. "They all talk bad about her in the staff room but the other Professors are more passive with their aggression."

"Nickname bias with your teacher, (Y/n)?" Pansy teased.

"Snape's not passive," said Daphne. "He was so cold to Umbridge."

"Based on the teacher themselves, not the teaching ability, who do you think Umbridge is going to have a bias against?" Angelina asked.

"For core classes, I think Professors Sinistra, Binns, and Flitwick are all safe. And I would've guessed Sprout too but (Y/n) and Cho said she was short with Umbridge," Hermione said. "Professor Trelawney's already on probation and I'm unsure about Madam Hooch. Umbridge is going to have a bias against Muggle Studies and that's going to apply to Professor Burbage too."

"McGonagall, Snape, Sprout, Burbage, and Trelawney are all on thin ice," Cho said.

"And for subjects, my guess is that Astronomy, Herbology, Care of Magical Creatures, Divination, and maybe Apparation are all potentially at risk of being dropped," Padma said.

"Really? You don't think Umbridge would let Astronomy and Herbology stay because there's not much of a way it can be used against the Ministry?" Parvati said.

"I'm split on that one," Hannah admitted. "On one hand, Umbridge might think they have no use but on the other, I can see how she'd want it to stay to keep minds off of... the outside world or whatever."

"This is all if the Ministry takes over Hogwarts," Susan said. "Which I doubt Dumbledore and many others would let happen."

"There'd be a full-on riot," Cho said.

"Down with the unjust systems!" (Y/n) said dramatically.

"Down with 'em!"

"Today we will be brewing Amortentia," Professor Snape said, instantly jumping into the lesson. He looked absolutely dismayed over needing to teach the lesson, but, alas, it was a N.E.W.T. requirement. "The two students who chose to write their essay of dangerous potions for Amortentia will know just how dangerous Amortentia is for the drinker." Snape cast a bored look to (Y/n) and another student. "So, Mr. Clark, Miss (Y/l/n), care to share your research?" (Y/n) looked at the boy in question before looking at Snape.

"Amortentia is the most powerful love potion in existence," (Y/n) began. "It causes a strong level of infatuation and obsession within the drinker, both of which should never be underestimated. It is illegal to own outside of class here at Hogwarts." Snape nodded approvingly.

"And, Mr. Clark, how does one identify Amortentia?"

"Mother-of-pearl-sheen and characteristic swirls. The smell will smell different for each person due to it being based on what attracts a person. In addition to that, a person you're attracted to may smell more strongly than they normally do."

"That would be correct," Snape said. "Five points to Slytherin." (Y/n) repressed an eye-roll. "Today we will be brewing Amortentia... It is not, I repeat, not meant to be taken out of this class. The moment you get a sample into a phial, I personally will be clearing out your cauldron. I suspect following basic laws and rules will not be a problem for this class, but if it is, being served detention will be the minimum of your punishment."

(Y/n) wished Marietta or Cho shared the period with her as she felt quite intimidated being the only Ravenclaw in the N.E.W.T.-level class. She silently began brewing her potion, following all of Snape's steps exactly. By the end of the period, she was able to make out the strong scent of baked goods with her favourite drink, lotus, and a specific scent that she couldn't quite put her finger on, but it was home.
(Y/n) got her potion into a phial, feeling Snape's stare on her. She corked the phial and as she was getting her name down on a label, Snape came over and Vanished (Y/n)'s potion. (Y/n) looped a string through her label and tied it to the phial before placing it on Snape's desk and returning to her desk, opting to start Snape's essay on why she believed she smelled what she did. (Y/n) knew she smelled baked goods because baking was a passion of hers; Lotus was likely due to (Y/n)'s love for unusual plants and, by extension, unusual things; The third scent had to, of course, be the person (Y/n) was attracted to. Who it was, only she would no and no amount of pestering would get her to say it out loud.

(Y/n) was quite proud of Ginny and Luna's progress for the text over the past two weeks. On the Sunday before the Gryffindor versus Slytherin match, (Y/n) strolled over to Angelina and gave her a birthday present.

"Happy birthday," (Y/n) said. Angelina positively beamed.

"You're the first person who's said something," Angelina said.

"Really?" (Y/n) frowned.

"I don't mind," Angelina shrugged. "My mum sent me a pint of fire whiskey," she grinned. "What more can a girl ask for, you know?.. I'm going to save it after Gryffindor wins the game. First legal drink and a win on the same day."

"Are you telling a prefect you've illegally drunk before, Ange?" (Y/n) mused.

"Never," Angelina emphasised. "Hey, you want to wear my jacket?" (Y/n) grew nervous for she had fully planned on wearing Cassius's Quidditch jacket despite sitting in the Gryffindor stands.

"Sure," (Y/n) blurted before she could stop herself or properly form her excuse. Angelina's ecstatic reaction made (Y/n)'s answer worth it.

"Brilliant," Angelina said. "I'll get it to you during the next meeting... Thursday, right?"

"Halloween!" (Y/n) squealed.

"Halloween!" Angelina said less enthusiastically, but still trying to match (Y/n)'s excitement. She never understood Muggles' (or Muggle-borns') enjoyment of Halloween for those who grew up in the wizarding had never experienced the joys of dressing up and trick-or-treating. Fall festivals had not been a thing since (Y/n)'s first year and Angelina's second year due to the Head Boy and Girl needing to take charge of the preparations, yet no one ever had the energy to do so.
(Y/n) was soon to turn and head off. Halloween always had a bittersweet place in her heart— It was her parents' favourite holiday despite it being the day their friends almost died; And, in contrary, it was Cassius's least favourite due to the scariness often associated with it, but he tolerated it for (Y/n) no matter of whether or not it involved him needing to participate in the scariness. Now, Halloween was her least favourite of the holidays but that didn't stop her from being excited for an excuse to dress up.

"—and I can't believe we have to wait until winter break to go and rent the aired episodes," Tony Whitaker, who was dressed as the Blue Ranger, ranted passionately.

"If you're even able to," said Leanne, who was dressed as the Yellow Ranger. "I don't think all of season three has even aired yet... and Power Rangers isn't exactly a hidden gem."

"I haven't even seen the new movie!" (Y/n) exclaimed. She was the pink Power Ranger.

"Sucks to suck," Tony said. (Y/n) stuck her tongue out. Tony raised his hand and knocked on the door, patiently waiting for it to open.

"Hi," Hermione greeted pleasantly. She not-so-subtly did a once-over for them all before smiling to herself. "Pretty... You're with Dean, I assume?"

"Is he here already?" Leanne asked. Hermione nodded her head over at where an oblivious Dean was proudly bragging about getting to play (Y/n)'s love interest. Hermione went to get Leanne ink and a quill to add her name to the list whilst the other three lingered. (Y/n) crossed her arms, leaning against the door frame, Leanne anxiously looked back into the corridor to make sure no one else was coming, and Anthony stood behind them, his arms stretched above him and holding onto the door frame.

"—canonically, (Y/n) and I are in love," Dean, who was dressed as the Green Ranger, was saying. (Y/n) didn't have enough time to get helmets, so it was just the suits that they wore. Colin and Dennis were eating the costume up, with Colin even requesting a picture.

"(Y/n), Tony, Leanne," Katie purred, getting up to stroll over to the trio.

"Hi, Katie," Leanne beamed, abandoning Tony and (Y/n) to go to Katie before the two walked over to Hermione. (Y/n) and Anthony exchanged a knowing smirk.

"Whoa. Hey," Cedric greeted, doing a double-take on (Y/n) and Tony.

"Hi, Ced—"

"Better get to your boyfriend," Tony said, nudging (Y/n) forward and closing the door behind him. He made to pass (Y/n).

"Halloween night, 1995!" Cho said to the video camera she held in her hands. As she turned the camera on Cedric, Tony, and (Y/n), she gasped at the sight of (Y/n) kicking the back of Tony's legs. Tony groaned painfully, his knees slightly buckling.

"Jesus, woman!" Tony exclaimed. (Y/n) hid her giggles with her hand before walking to one of the coffee tables and setting down a basket of goody bags.

"Can I get a picture of you all?" Colin beamed.

"Sure," (Y/n) agreed, waving Leanne over before heading over to Dean and Tony. Dean gave an over-the-top welcome to (Y/n). "Go kiss your boyfriend or something."

"Boyfriend?"

"Seamus," (Y/n) said. Dean pursed his lips.

"Bloody moron won't act on any of my flirting tactics," Dean said. 

"I can name someone just like him," Tony said quite pettily. Leanne snorted and nudged him. 

"Too soon," Leanne said. "But... I know a few people that will gladly show you off, (Y/n)... whenever you're ready, of course."

"Yeah. I can too," (Y/n) said. "Cho, stop recording— Is that my camera?"

"Uh-oh." Cho quickly lowered the camera and (Y/n) looked away with a fading smile.

"Uh-oh, mood change," Tony said. "What's up?"

"Nothing. I just wasn't in the mood to continuously be on camera," (Y/n) said with a believable laugh.

"All right, since we're all here," said Harry, "I reckon we can work on Impediment jinxes today."

With Harry now having everyone's attention, (Y/n) was able to rest her chin in her hands without question. She couldn't help feeling upset over her dislike for Halloween without being able to pin a bad memory on it. She would probably cry herself to sleep again.

With October ending with endless rain, November began with icy drafts. As the Quidditch season grew closer and closer to starting, anticipation built even for the two Houses that were not participating in the very first game. On the weekend of the game, November second, (Y/n) strolled right on over to the Gryffindor table to offer her good luck wishes. She was torn between amusement and concern over Ron's lack of appetite. Hermione and Ginny had sat down at the table at the same time (Y/n) had arrived.

"How're you feeling?" Ginny asked Ron, who was now staring into the dregs of milk at the bottom of his empty cereal bowl as though seriously considering attempting to drown himself.

"He's just nervous," said Harry.

"Well, that's a good sign, I never feel you perform as well in exams if you're not a bit nervous," said Hermione heartily.

"Hello," said a vague and dreamy voice from behind them. Harry looked up: Luna Lovegood had drifted over from the Ravenclaw table and stood beside (Y/n). Many people were staring at Luna and a few openly laughing and pointing: she had managed to procure a hat shaped like a life-size lion's head, which was perched precariously on her head.
"I'm supporting Gryffindor," said Luna, pointing unnecessarily at her hat. "Look what it does..."
She reached up and tapped the hat with her wand. It opened its mouth wide and gave an extremely realistic roar that made everyone in the vicinity jump and (Y/n) cover her ears, which already had headphones on.
"It's good, isn't it?" said Luna happily. "I wanted to have it chewing up a serpent to represent Slytherin, you know, but there wasn't time. Anyway... good luck, Ronald!"
She drifted away. Harry imagined that he wore an extremely similar expression to Hermione's, Ginny's, and (Y/n)'s shocked ones. They had not quite recovered from the shock of Luna's hat before Angelina came hurrying toward them, accompanied by Katie and Alicia.

"When you're ready," said Angelina, "we're going to go straight down to the pitch, check out conditions and change."

"We'll be there in a bit," Harry assured her. "Ron's just got to have some breakfast."
It became clear after ten minutes, however, that Ron was not capable of eating anything more and Harry thought it best to get him down to the changing rooms. As they rose from the table, Hermione got up too and taking Harry's arm, she drew him to one side.

"Don't let Ron see what's on those Slytherins' blades," Hermione whispered urgently. Harry looked questioningly at her, but she shook her head warningly; Ron had just ambled over to them, looking lost and desperate. "Good luck, Ron," said Hermione, standing on tiptoe and kissing him on the cheek. "And you, Harry—"

Ron seemed to come to himself slightly as they walked back across the Great Hall. He touched the spot on his face where Hermione had kissed him, looking puzzled, as though he was not quite sure what had just happened.

"What an idiot," (Y/n) mumbled. Ginny smirked at Hermione, who had sat back down. "Are your kisses good luck charms, Hermione? You reckon he'll want to show off and impress you." Hermione abruptly kicked (Y/n)'s shin, pulling a grimace from her. "What badges were you talking about." Hermione nodded over at the Slytherin table. "I can't see from here."

"They say 'Weasley is our King,'" Ginny said, shaking her head. "Hermione and I caught them on our way in... He's their king because they don't think he's that great of a Keeper and that he'll easily give them the win," she explained at (Y/n)'s puzzled expression. (Y/n) shook her head disapprovingly.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

859 42 13
Where a group of slytherins become friends with a girl of many secrets Or When an optimistic girl meets a group of cruel slytherins which she cares a...
353K 16.8K 54
𝐢 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐢'𝐦 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐢𝐦𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐭. 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐦𝐞, 𝐠𝐢𝐫𝐥, 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐬𝐨 𝐦𝐮𝐜𝐡 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧 𝐠𝐨𝐫𝐠𝐞𝐨𝐮...
6.4K 148 15
ɪɴ ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ꜱᴏʟᴅɪᴇʀꜱ ꜰʀᴏᴍ ᴅɪꜰꜰᴇʀᴇɴᴛ ꜱɪᴅᴇꜱ ᴏꜰ ᴀ ᴡᴀʀ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴛᴏ ʜɪᴅᴇ ᴛʜᴇɪʀ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ᴏʀ ɪɴ ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ᴀᴍᴇʟɪᴀ ᴘᴏᴛᴛᴇʀ, ᴛʜᴇ ᴄʜᴏꜱᴇɴ ᴏɴᴇ'ꜱ ꜱɪꜱᴛᴇʀ, ꜰɪɴᴅꜱ ʜᴇʀꜱᴇʟꜰ ꜰᴀʟʟɪɴɢ ʜᴇ...
100K 5K 56
In which a Ravenclaw gets mixed up with the wrong (and right) people. Book One of the Party Police Series Pre-Harry-Potter-Series & Philosopher's Sto...