Beyond The Barricade | les mi...

By occasionallyremy

Hyacinth Toussaint, a stubborn redheaded girl, has always been passionate about her beliefs. She knows what s... More

one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty
thirty one
thirty two
thirty three
thirty four

twelve

95 2 0
By occasionallyremy

I sat in Marius' apartment in silence. It had been two days since I spoke to Cécile about the situation. There was no word on Lamarque's funeral and Enjolras had grown anxious about it. He spent the meetings silently rummaging through every single thing he had written. I enjoyed watching him as he did so, examining the way he bent over them and blocked out everything that was going on around him.

The door swung open and Marius stepped in, jacket in hand. The sun had set hours ago but he had insisted on speaking with some girl to find out where his love was hidden. He'd had no luck so far and I could tell tonight was no different. He slouched into the his cushioned chair and looked up at me.

"Still nothing?" I asked.

"Still nothing."

I sighed and pushed the blanket off my legs, standing up from the bed. I walked toward him and placed a hand on his hand.

"She's doing much more harm than good," I mumbled. He glared at me, his jaw clenching. "I'm sorry but it's the truth! Look at you, stumbling around like a fool. I am happy that you've found love, I am, but-"

"But what, Hyacinth?" he snapped. My mouth hung open as I stared at him in shock. I pulled my hand away and turned from him. I heard him sigh as I sat back down in the bed. "I'm sorry," he said. I looked at him silently. "Enough about me. I need to ask you something."

I raised an eyebrow as I tried to read his expression. This could go so many ways and there were a few ways I didn't want it to go.

"Have you discovered love yet?" he asked, a smile fighting to sit on his lips.

Of course thats what he asks.

"No. Why would you ask?" I said.

"Hyacinth, I do not understand how you can be so blind," he chuckled. I furrowed my eyebrows and studied his eyes.

"How am I blind? What magnificent thing do you see that I apparently do not?"

"Have you not noticed the way En-" Something pounded on the apartment door. My eyes widened and my shoulders tensed. Marius held a finger to his lips and slowly stood, walking to the door.

"Marius Pontmercy!" an all too familiar voice yelled. I looked at Marius in pure terror as I recognized his voice. Anthony must have asked my mother about where I could possibly be. It was too obvious to stay with Marius. Anthony pounded on the door yet again as Marius rushed to grab a piece of paper. He scribbled some words down on it and handed it to me. I stood as he started throwing my things into the bag I had arrived with.

"I'm going to open the window," he whispered. "You run to that address. Do not look back, Hyacinth." The pounding got louder as Anthony grew more impatient. I took my bag from his hands as he went to the window. He pushed it open and helped me out. Then, he quickly shut it and watched as I climbed my way to the ground. I ran as fast as I could, reading the address over and over again. I had no clue where he was sending me. No clue who I'd meet at the door. But I wasn't too focused on it. He clearly knew exactly where to send me within a second. So, I did not question. I trusted that he would keep me safe and kept my mind on the paper in my hands.

I had slowed down due to the distance I had been running, but as I read the buildings I knew I was coming close. My heart pounded as I thought about where Anthony might be now. My head spun as I imagined him harming Marius in his own home.

I looked up at the building in front of me. The address matched, so I took slow steps toward the door. I balled up my fist and slammed it onto the wooden door, turned around to scan the surroundings. I saw a shadow along the stone path and my heart raced. My mind went through all the different ways this could play out. He could kill me on the street, he could drag me home and kill me there, or he could take me home for my mother to kill me. The choice was his, and that frightened me.

After what had felt like years, I heard the door behind me open.

"Hyacinth?"

I turned to face him, my thoughts halting at the sound of his voice.

He used my full name.

"What are you doing here? Where is Marius?" He looked around the dark street, the shadow I had seen was approaching fast.

"They came to his door. I had to run," I said, trying to breathe normally. His eyes caught the shadow now and he grabbed me, pulling me inside. He quietly closed the door and kept hold of me as he walked to a window. I saw the figure approach. It paused and Enjolras pushed me away from the window, holding me against the door. I stared up at him, one hand on my shoulder and one on my waist. I held my breath as his eyes went back to the window. His hand dropped from my shoulder but the one on my waist remained. After a moment, he cleared his throat and looked down at my bag. He took it out of my hand and backed away from me.

"You can sleep in the bed," he said. I looked at him.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes I'm sure. I am not going to make a woman sleep on a couch," he retorted.

"Nice to see you have some manners," I taunted. He glared as he took my bag into a room not far from the door.

It was a small little house. It seemed comfortable to live in.

"Are you coming?" he called out from the room. I huffed and followed where he had walked. By the way he was acting I could tell he had been reading some more. There were papers spread across a small desk opposite the bed. His jacket was thrown onto the back of the chair that sat in front of the desk. He grabbed all the papers and set my bag down in place of them. He turned to me and in this darker lighting, nothing but a candle to provide light, he looked different.

His blond curls were as messy as they always were but now they framed his face differently. Like they were complimenting him. I stared and he stared back for a moment.

"The room is yours," he said, breaking the stare. He walked past me and made his way out of the room. He paused, his hand on the door handle. "Is it okay if I close this?" he asked. I nodded and he pulled it shut, leaving me alone in the orange light. I looked around for a moment before sitting down on the bed. My eyes latched onto the door that he had closed.

I knew sleep wasn't an option. Not with all the horrible images in my mind. So I instead sat with my back against the headboard and stared at the door, feeling my fear slowly melt away.

"You know you aren't supposed to sleep in a bed like that?" I heard. I opened my eyes and was instantly met with Enjolras' blue ones. He had a smug look on his face and that annoying smirk on his lips.

"I didn't intend on falling asleep," I said, combing my fingers through my curls. He stared at me for a moment before leaning on the doorframe.

"A lady deserves her sleep," he said. I rolled my eyes at him and looked away.

"What time is it?" I asked, ignoring his precious remark.

"10:35," he said, shoving his hands into his pockets. I pushed myself off the bed and stood up, walking to my bag. "We'll leave when you're ready."

He left and shut the door behind him without another word. I sighed and looked back, something in me longing for him to say something else. I pushed the thought out of my mind and rummaged through my clothes. I held up a corset and stared at it. An issue had arisen. I struggled to get my corsets tight enough on my own. Marius had graciously helped me but now I was not with Marius.

I put it around my body and reached around to tighten the strings, but much like every time I made an attempt, it never got tight enough. It was more uncomfortable if it was not tightened how it was supposed to be and I had no choice now. I glanced at the door and huffed. My feet carried me to it and I opened it slightly, poking my head out. Enjolras turned to me and raised an eyebrow at me. I sighed and looked away from him.

"I need your help," I said.

"Alright."

I looked at him as he walked closer. He pushed the door open more and for a minute he just stared. I shifted uncomfortably and swallowed as he cleared his throat. He looked away and folded his arms.

"What do you need?"

I sighed loudly and turned around, trying to grab the strings again.

"Tighten this," I said hesitantly. I looked over my shoulder at him as he slowly nodded. He took slow steps toward me and reached his arms out. He took the strings in his hands and breathed out.

"How tight is it supposed to go?" he asked before moving.

"Just pull until I tell you to stop."

He nodded and at that the corset tightened. He continued to pull on the strings behind me. I could feel his breath on my neck and it sent some kind of shudder through me.

"Okay," I said, placing a hand on my waist.

"Is it too tight?" he asked with a concerned tone.

"No. Now tie it." He did as I said and let go, backing away from me. I took a breath and placed my hand on my stomach, running it over my front to make sure everything was right. I turned around to face him and let a small smile appear.

"Thank you," I said. He nodded and turned for the door, walking away. I finished putting on the rest of my dress and walked out the door. He met eyes with me and held it for a second before turning to the front door. He then walked out and held it open for me. I followed him out and in an instant he grabbed my arm. I looked at him as he started walking.

"What are you doing?" I asked, looking at his hand.

"Making sure you don't get away," he said plainly. I turned away from him and walked beside him. We made our way to the café and I expected everyone to be there already. My eyes scanned the street around us as we walked. I made sure he was lurking in the shadows waiting for me to reveal myself. I was on edge. Enjolras must have noticed because his hand went from my arm to my lower back and stayed there. I looked at his face but he remained looking ahead. I felt another small smile on my lips and looked down at my feet.

We approached the café and Enjolras pushed the door open. He pushed me in gently and closed the door behind him. I could hear the voices upstairs and could pick out Marius from the group. He was speaking loudly to them all and I smiled at the sound of it. I walked up the stairs, Enjolras following behind me. I caught eyes with Marius as I walked in and he sighed in relief, his eyes gentle and warm. Then he looked at Enjolras and the smirk grew strong. Everyone stared, the same looks on their faces. I glared at Courfeyrac, who was whispering to Gavrove in an animated manner. He laughed and patted Gavroche on the head.

I shook my head and stood next to Marius, feeling the energy bounce off the boys around me.

From across the room, Enjolras looked at her. His heart beating loudly in his chest as she smiled alongside them. She changed with them, a certain gleam in her eye that made the fearless leader weak. She then looked at him, a smile on her lips as she shouted. He felt himself smile as well as they shared eye contact. Her lips parted and the phrase escaped them in a strong tone,

"Vive la France!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.6K 432 22
A Les Misérables Fan Fiction - The story of André, the younger sister of Enjolras and a street urchin who finds herself captured by Javert for steali...
30.7K 387 33
Writing OneShots of our favorite barricade boys. *there might be some OC in this* Disclaimer; sadly I don't own Les Misérables or their characters. I...
4.9K 161 24
Paris 1832, Three months before the historic June uprising, almost 20 year-old Allete Auvray becomes acquainted with a small group of young revolutio...
129K 2.5K 20
: Enjolras/OC : Joleigh can see the faults in Enjorlas' plans for this 'foolish' revolution and needs to stop his reckless course for nothing before...