ᴾʰᵒᵇᵒᵖʰᵒᵇⁱᵃ [ᴶᵃˢᵒⁿ ᴳʳᵃᶜᵉ]

By drac_hoe

"Fear is the mindkiller" (Jason Grace x oc) (The Lost Hero-Blood of Olympus) More

F E A R
α.
β.
γ.
ε.
ζ
η.
θ.
ι.
κ.
Λ.
μ.
ν.
ξ.
ο.
Editing
π.
ρ
σ.
τ.
υ.
φ.
χ.
ψ.
Ω.
αα.
αβ.
αγ
αδ.
αε.
αζ
αη
αθ.
αι.
ακ
αλ.
C O U R A G E
o.
i.
iii.
iv.
v.
vi.
vii.
viii.
ix.
x.
xi.
xii.
xiii.
xiv.
xv.
xvi.
xvii.
xviii.
xix.
xx.
xxi.
P O W E R
i.
ii.
iii.
iv.
v.
vi.
vii.
viii.
ix.
x.
xi.
xii.
S T R I F E
α.
β
γ
δ
ε
ζ
η
θ
ι
bonus chapter #1
κ.

ii.

2K 92 13
By drac_hoe

The air around camp was tense, almost thick with the campers nerves and the thrum of anxiety that filled each of them. Aza could feel each of their anxieties swirling together in the air, creating steady waves of fear that washes over her like a metronome, hitting the girl so powerfully it almost hurt.

At first, it had felt overwhelming, and Aza felt like all the progress she had made had suddenly vanished, and she was still that same scared little girl, who was forced to carry the burden of others' fears.

But as the days went on, and Leo grew closer to completing the finishing touches on the Argo II, the warship they would take to the Bay Area to find Percy, it began to feel normal to the girl, and she no longer worried the tide of fear would sweep her off her feet.

And by the night before, Aza felt strengthened by the heavy, swirling fear in the air - as the rest of the campers sat in a thick, dreadful silence, the girl began to feel her mind clear, and the fears that had threatened to sludge up from the depths of her mind's Tartarus no longer felt like a burden; they felt like a resource.

Aza felt a pair of eyes burning into hers, and when she looked across the pavilion her deep, russet-eyes met with stormy grey. Even from the distance, Aza could see her blonde-haired best friend's anxiety subtly slipping through the cracks in the facade the daughter of Athena tried so desperately to maintain.

Her princess curls lightly bounced up and down on her collarbones from the force with which Annabeth's leg shook under the table, and Aza saw her break eye contact thrice to check her watch.

The daughter of Phobos sent her best friend what she hoped was a reassuring smile, an action which Annabeth returned half-heartedly. Aza could see the storm swirling in her eyes, and she ached to go over and comfort her friend. Annabeth glanced away, looking down at her plate through half-lidded eyes and taking a reluctant bite of her pizza.

Aza sighed, and as she turned back to face Clarisse, who sat across from her, Jason caught her gaze. His lips twitched into a smile, and his cheeks reddened slightly - though Aza couldn't tell if it was from the burning sunset, which painted the boy in a soft, warm light. She did her best to fight the blush that streaked across her cheeks, giving him a small smile in return.

He tilted his head and quirked a brow slightly, and though he didn't use any words, Aza understood what he meant immediately - are you okay? She nodded, the left corner of her lip twitching upwards, and she tilted her head towards him, raising her brows - are you?

Jason shrugged lightly, and his lips pursed slightly - I'm kind of nervous. Aza nodded, and she reciprocated the motions, but then added a soft smile and nodded her head towards him - it'll be okay; I'm here for you. Jason's lips twitched, and small dimples formed on his cheeks - Aza thought they were adorable, and the thought only made her blush burn brighter. She looked back down at her plate, trying to suppress the wide smile that threatened to tug at her lips.

"Stop with the love-sick puppy faces," Clarisse let out a groan, and she snapped her fingers in front of Aza's face, making the girl jump slightly. "It's nauseating."

Aza's brows sewed together, and a sneer pulled at her lips as she reached forward and flicked the tip of Clarisse's nose, causing the girl's face to redden and her face scrunch together, a dangerous gleam in her earthen brown eyes. A low snarl came from her lips, "Do that again."

Aza always wondered why Clarisse would say that each time the slightly younger girl hit her - they both knew full well the daughter of Phobos wouldn't back down, unlike most of the other campers Clarisse was able to frighten.

The left corner of her lip twitched upwards, and Aza leaned forward again to flick the girl's nose. With reflexes faster than Aza often gave the girl credit for, Clarisse reached up and grasped Aza's wrist tightly before she could reach fully. A hiss of aggravation slipped past Aza's lips, and her voice came out in a low, threatening growl, "Let go of me."

Clarisse rolled her eyes but released her grip without another word, knowing better than to cause a scene in the middle of dinner - the two girls had too often been reprimanded and punished by Chiron for their roughhousing.

"Maybe we should put you with your other Aunts and Uncles," Clarisse cast a glance towards the children of Aphrodite, a haughty smile tugging at her lips. The daughter of Phobos made a face at her, sticking out her tongue and scrunching her eyebrows. Once she relaxed her muscles, a slight smirk twitched at her lips, "I've been the unlucky bastard to walk in on you and Chris-"

Clarisse slapped Aza's cheek hard enough to leave a hot, burning red handprint, and she retracted with a wicked smirk, her brown eyes glimmering with smug malice as Aza rubbed her cheek and hissed in pain, her russet eyes narrowing into a harsh glare. Clarisse didn't flinch as she stared down the daughter of Phobos, her smirk unwavering as she stared into the harsh face of her father.

"Exòloio [Drop dead]," the daughter of Phobos hissed, and the daughter of Ares merely gave a haughty laugh in return and took a bite of her barbecue ribs, not bothering to wipe the sauce that dribbled down her chin.

"You'll miss me when you're gone," Clarisse boasted, and she shot the girl a knowing smirk, "Wise-Girl told me you called me your favorite half-aunt."

"Annie is such a snitch," Aza shot a glare in the girl's direction, but it automatically softened when she registered the slight pout pulling at the blonde's lips, and the way her dull grey eyes were half-lidded. She turned back to Clarisse, "You'll miss me more."

"Please," the daughter of Ares scoffed with a dramatic roll of her eyes, "I need some space without little Aza la Rue."

"Don't call me that."

"My little sister," Clarisse's tone took on a mocking croon, "my baby sister, little Aza-Everett la Rue."

"Sherman, hit Clarisse for me," The boy didn't need to be told twice - from his spot beside the girl, he smacked her harshly upside the head and grinned when she scowled and rubbed the spot and sent her half-brother a glare, murmuring under her breath, "You little punk, I'm gonna kill you when we get back."

"Wow, Leo," Aza stepped onto the deck of the Argo II, glancing around - it was fashioned as a trireme, with one large sail. The hull was bronze, and Festus' flaming dragon head topped the mast. The daughter of Phobos was instantly attracted to the two large crossbows, and she smoothed her hand across the handle, miming as if to prepare a shot.

"Careful," Annabeth gave a nervous laugh from behind the girl, and her grey eyes flickered nervously between Aza and the crossbow, "those bolts will blast through concrete."

Aza stepped away from the weapons with a grin, "Awesome."

"Aza, chica," Leo cheered, stepping out from a stack of supplies - he wore a grin so large Aza worried it would split his cheeks, and his curly brown hair flopped into his grease-covered forehead, "Now all we need are Beauty Queen and Superman, and then we can jet!"

Aza laughed as Leo danced on his feet, and she questioned, "Is Gleeson here?"

As if on cue, the satyr danced out from below deck with his club resting comfortably on his shoulder, "Aza-Everett, good, you're here," the satyr glanced down at his watch, "That's it, Grace and McLean are doing push-ups when they get here."

Aza grinned, and she leaned against the railing and watched as Annabeth paced the deck, checking and double-checking their ballistics and supplies. The girl's curly blonde hair bounced up and down her shoulders as she shook, and Aza ached to take away the girl's fears, if only for a few moments. She hated seeing her best friend hurt.

She helped Leo hoist supplies onto the ship - or really, Aza did all the work and Leo walked along beside her, chattering rapidly about every detail of the ship. She did her best to listen, but soon Leo's chirps began to blend together and a painful pressure formed in the center of her head.

She was relieved when a sudden hand was placed on Leo's shoulder, and a familiar authoritative voice rang, "I can help Aza from here, Leo - why don't you and Piper go see if Coach needs any help?"

"Aw," Leo pouted like a child, and Aza couldn't help but to ruffle his mop of curls after her complained, "but I was just about to tell her about the magical ice chest!" The boy scowled at Aza and made a face, but he conceded and murmured something in Spanish, turning away as Jason helped lighten the load Aza was carrying.

"Oh, Jason," Aza said in a pseudo-pout, "Leo was just about to tell me about the magical ice chest!"

Jason's laugh made Aza's chest feel warm, and she blushed when his elbow gently brushed against hers, "My apologies, I thought you would appreciate some actual help."

The daughter of Phobos merely grinned at him in response, and the two made quick work of fully stocking the ship, though Aza wondered if all those times his arm brushed against hers were really accidents, seeing as his cheeks would flush with every soft, "Sorry," that poured from his mouth.

Finally, the Argo II was ready for departure - all that was left was to say good-bye. As Annabeth's siblings wished her good-luck, Sherman Yang kicked dirt and Ellis Wakefield cracked his knuckles - the rest of her uncles didn't seem any more interested. Clarisse, however, gave the girl a rare, genuine smile, and she squeezed a hand on Aza's bicep, "If all goes badly, kick some Roman ass for me, eh?"

Aza's lips twitched into a smirk, and she rolled her eyes habitually, "I do tend to air on the side of bash-something-till-I-win."

"You really are my little sister." With that, Aza scowled at the girl, but her heart felt slightly warm, and Aza remembered just why she loved her half-aunt so much. It was hard to see for most, but under the rough, aggressive exterior, Clarisse cared deeply about the people she loved, and though Aza knew the girl would never admit it, the daughter of Ares cared for her like a younger sister.

Aza waved at her friends and acquaintances as the Argo II took flight until camp became a blurry spec in her distance, and then she grinned at her friends and said, "Who's ready to beat the shit out of Annabeth's boyfriend!"

"Aza," Annabeth reprimanded immediately, and she crossed the deck to whack the girl's arm, though her grey eyes sparkled with amusement, "you're allowed one slap, that's it."

"Oh, come on," Aza groaned, and she dramatically clutched at her friend's arm, much to Annabeth's chagrin, "two slaps! A kick! Maybe a little headlock?"

Annabeth pulled away from her friend, and Aza stumbled slightly to catch her balance as the daughter of Athena rolled her eyes, "I forgot how much of a handful you can be."

Aza made a face, and before she could complain any further Leo swaggered forward with his arms spread wide in the air, a toothy smile splitting his face, "Come on, I'll give you guys the full tour! Just wait 'til you see your cabins!"

Aza abandoned the tour the instant Leo opened the door to her cabin. She took one look at the extensive weapons rack that lined the left wall, and the plush, velveteen comforter that lay on her bed and the TV that rested on the dresser and stepped inside, quickly chirping, "Awesome tour, cool, thanks, see you," before shutting the door and instantly striding to the weapons rack, pulling off a dagger and swinging it through the air to test the balance.

Outside the door, Leo made a noise of complaint and banged against the door. Aza heard Annabeth chide the boy, "You can't show Aza a bunch of weapons and expect her to keep walking, that was your fault."

Once Aza had tested out every weapon on the rack, she turned to examine the rest of her small room. On the far wall, several small pictures were tacked to the wood - one of she and Annabeth at ten-years-old, when the two had an arm-wrestling competition, one of she and Clarisse taken on Aza's twelfth birthday, after the daughter of Ares had shoved Aza's face into the cake, and one of she, Percy, Annabeth and Grover taken the summer after their first quest.

She smiled, reaching forward to touch the picture of her best friends and her when a knock sounded at her door, and Jason's deep voice filtered through the cracks, "Can I come in?"

"Of course," Aza turned to face him, unable to fight the immediate blush that crept across her cheeks. She felt relieved when she saw the crimson flush on the back of his neck - at least she wasn't the only one who was blushing. Jason gave her a small smile and he motioned to her desk chair. She nodded and he sat, watching as she took a seat on her lavender comforter, biting her lip.

"How do you feel?" Jason asked, and he leaned forward slightly, his eyebrows knitting together in concern. Aza shrugged, and she tucked a wavy piece of dark hair behind her ear, "Excited," she hesitated and tilted her head slightly to the left, "and nervous. What if he doesn't remember us? What if the Romans think we're trying to attack?"

Jason reached forward and placed a hesitant hand on Aza's knee, his grasp tightening slightly when she didn't pull away or show any signs of discomfort, "If I remember, he will. And if we get into a scuffle, well, I like my chances with you on my side."

Aza snorted at the word 'scuffle', but she nodded and agreed, "I like my chances, too."

"One day," Jason shook his head, "your head will get so big it'll sink the ship."

"Leo actually calculated my ego into the Argo's weight capacity."

Jason laughed, biting his lip slightly. The action made Aza's cheeks burn brighter, and she averted her eyes, cursing herself for feeling so flustered. She wished she had some of her grandmother's control over love, not just the blood of war gods. Maybe then she wouldn't feel like an idiot every time she opened her mouth around the blonde son of Jupiter.

"How are you feeling?" Aza asked, and Jason's grip on her knee tightened slightly, as if to comfort himself. Aza rested her hand over his, and she did her best to give him a reassuring smile, one that made his cheeks flush and him stumble over his words slightly, "I-I'm nervous. I'm scared it's going to be weird, going back after just... disappearing. But I guess I'm excited, and I-I could show you some of New Rome, if you'd like. It's beautiful, really."

Aza smiled, and she nodded, "Sounds like a plan, Bolt-boy."

Jason gulped, and she watched as he glanced around the room at everything but her, "Or - or as a date."

Aza choked slightly on her breath, and she coughed. In a voice that came out slightly higher than her normal one, Aza agreed, "It's a date."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

755K 31.8K 98
in which an oath sworn on the river styx complicates a goddess's plans, and ophelia imai wakes up memory-less on a school bus with her amnesiac boyfr...
47.8K 1.5K 9
❝And where the Daughter of Hecate went, destruction followed.❞ [heroes of olympus || jason×oc] [all rights go Rick Riordan, I own nothing but my oc a...
35.3K 1.5K 57
All of this had happened before, as if it was an olden tale. ━━━ The Heroes of Olympus FEM!OC / Jason Grace ...
37.4K 1.3K 51
waking up on a bus was not part of ivy's plan, especially not when her supposed boyfriend was holding hands with another girl. [ jason grace ] [ the...