Matilda | Harry Styles

By littlewhjtelies

In which the world-famous musician, Harry Styles, meets his match in his new tour photographer, Isabella Blak... More

MATILDA
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY-ONE
TWENTY-TWO
TWENTY-THREE
TWENTY-FOUR
TWENTY-FIVE
TWENTY-SIX
TWENTY-SEVEN
TWENTY-EIGHT
TWENTY-NINE
THIRTY
THIRTY-ONE
THIRTY-TWO
THIRTY-THREE
THIRTY-FOUR
THIRTY-FIVE
THIRTY-SIX
THIRTY-SEVEN
THIRTY-EIGHT
THIRTY-NINE
FORTY
FORTY-ONE
FORTY-TWO
FORTY-THREE
FORTY-FOUR
FORTY-FIVE
FORTY-SIX
FORTY-SEVEN
FORTY-EIGHT
FORTY-NINE

TEN

10.6K 187 285
By littlewhjtelies

I was beginning to understand why Harry was as famous as he was.

I'd only worked two shows, so far, but god, I could understand it. As soon as he made his way onto the stage, it was electric. His voice was so effortlessly beautiful, and he had a stage presence like nothing else I'd ever seen. It was like some wave of confidence and pure joy came over him the moment he was under a spotlight; prancing around and throwing himself about with an elated smile upon his lips. I couldn't deny how much I loved watching it; I loved having the opportunity to capture it.

He'd often wander over to where I was crouched beneath the barricade, causing the fans behind me to burst into an array of screams and cheers. He would send them a small wave, or a cheeky grin, but his eyes would then land on me, allowing me to take closer photos as he'd stop with his mic to his lips, before me. I'd yet to take a photo that he didn't look unbelievably good in - I wasn't sure he possessed a single angle where he didn't look his best, even if I were to catch him in the middle of singing a line, or dancing playfully around the band, he looked annoyingly incredible.

Harry had invited me to his dressing room after the first show, immediately causing my heart to drop. He'd said he'd like to have a look at the photos I'd taken. Not only was that a grave reminder that we agreed to be merely amicable, something I feared would prove difficult in a setting such as that one, but that I was also working as an employee of his on this tour - though Ally had found me and was pulling the literal strings, it was Harry who truly needed to be impressed by my work.

He'd stepped off the stage, breathless, panting with a sheen of sweat over his face and his chest, his hair dishevelled in a way I was beginning to recognise through other means, and he'd caught my eye and requested my presence in his room a little later on. This almost felt like a test. I was to be alone with him, now, properly, for the first time with our new commitment to being friends. Not that I couldn't control myself.

My heart was racing as I made my way down the corridor towards his dressing room. The idea of being alone in a room with him again was causing my senses to feel so oddly heightened. We'd had easy interaction after our conversation at the hotel; it seemed as if Harry had meant it when he said he wanted things to be easier for us both. I wasn't yearning for more from him; I knew the risks involved, and I knew the impracticality of it. I was fine with 'friends' - we could be friends, easily. He was a likeable person, to say the least, and him and I could get along; we'd certainly gone the extra mile in proving that so far. I hadn't wanted something serious or romantic anyway, but I couldn't ignore the way my heart never ceased to thump in anticipation of spending such time with him. I couldn't ignore the funny twist in my stomach at his presence, or when he spoke to me. I was hoping that would wear off upon us spending some more innocent time together.

I clutched my laptop to my chest, the photos from that night loaded onto it, prepared to show Harry. Apart from my nerves regarding spending time with him, I also had the sneaky fear that he wouldn't like them. What was to stop him from hating them, and sending me packing, straight back to London?

I'd apprehensively raised my fist to knock on the door of his dressing room, nervously tapping my foot on the floor, awaiting Harry's permission to enter. A few moments passed, and I feared I'd have to knock a second time, only for the door to swing open in front of me, revealing him to me.

His hair was wet, hanging over his forehead, and his chest was bare, slightly damp as well, and I had to draw my lip back into my mouth and force my eyes away from the sight of his inked skin in front of me. A pair of sweatpants hung low on his body, and the towel grasped in his hand told me that he'd just finished showering. God, I hated him.

"Hi," he said, meeting my eye as I forced myself to blink, desperately trying to shirk the images of his body that I'd come to know rather well that were entering my mind. I watched him as he brought his own eyes briefly to my lips, before they landed on the laptop in my hands, only to meet my own eyes again.

"Hi," I returned, as he stepped aside to hold the door open for me to enter his dressing room. I brushed past him, seeking to focus on anything but the shirtless Harry in my presence, and I made my way over to the leather couch situated in the corner. As I sat down, he'd moved over to follow me, now ruffling the towel through his hair to dry it a little more. His back was to me, and I ached to ignore the way I could see the muscles in his shoulders and back flexing to accommodate his movements. I forced my eyes onto my laptop, opening it up and loading up the photos I was to show him.

"Tell me you got my good side," he teased, pulling the towel from his hair and setting it down, lazily. I didn't look at him.

"It was hard to find one," I teased back. A total lie, but I knew his ego could take it. I looked up to see him playfully clutch his chest, before he made his way over to me, causing my breath to undoubtedly hitch in my throat. Don't sit next to me. Please.

He took a seat beside me, and I swallowed, as he lazily bent one of his knees to bring it to his chest so that he could lean on it. He casually drummed his fingertips against his chin, and I pursed my lips, seeking to focus on the screen in front of me.

"Why am I terrified that you'll hate these?" I spoke before I really had a chance to stop myself, my nerves causing me to blurt out the question. I'd pulled the loaded files up, and I was faced with the first photo I'd taken of the night; the group photo of the band from backstage.

"I won't," his response came quickly, his words firm. I turned to look at him, to find him with his arms wrapped around the leg he'd brought to his chest, his temple pressed to his knee. He was facing me, but his eyes weren't on my laptop, as I'd expected them to be. As if lost in thought, or in deep contemplation, he gazed over at me from his position only inches away. His lips were pressed together, eyebrows slightly furrowed. After a moment, he finally went to speak again, lifting his head to lean back on the couch and drawing his eyes to the remainder of the dressing room in front of us. He blew out a breath, suddenly. "You s-"

"I'm here! Sorry!" The door flew open, suddenly, revealing Ally as she hurried into the room, her eyes never leaving her phone as she tapped away, urgently. "I was talking to Stella. She's got you a couple of interviews lined up, early, before we leave tomorrow, Harry." She took a seat, still focused on her phone as she planted herself into the space between Harry and I, causing us both to shift in our seats a little to make some more definitive room. I watched Harry nod at her words, his eyes falling to his lap, away from me. I couldn't help but breathe a silent sigh of relief. Ally's arrival alleviated a lot of the pressure from my shoulders about being alone with Harry, and certainly diverted some of my attention that appeared to keep drifting to his presence beside me. I hadn't expected her, but it made sense that she was here. She finally set her phone in her lap. "So, let's see what you got for us, Isabella."

It felt like everything depended on that very moment - because, quite simply, I was replaceable, and if they didn't like my work, I was sure they wouldn't hesitate to make use of that power. That was the one thought circling around my head as the pair sat in silence for a moment, watching my screen carefully. It was only when I'd shown them the first couple of photos I'd taken of Harry on stage, that Ally clapped her hands together excitedly, nudging Harry's side, and my own.

"Oh, this is amazing. Of course, I didn't doubt they would be," she grinned, quickly standing up again as her phone began to ring. She'd probably seen no more than half a dozen photos, but she was clearly satisfied. "Isabella, I know you have an Instagram for your photos already - I need you to pick a favourite or two, and upload them. Tag Harry and the band, and make sure you use the right descriptions and hashtags, so that the fans can find you. You also need to find one for Harry to post; he'll know what to do," she said, her speech quick as she didn't hesitate in getting straight to the point. "Good job. I have to take this," she referenced the phone in her hand which had yet to cease its relentless ringing, and she scurried out of the room as quickly as she had entered it.

I blinked, as if Ally had disappeared by magic in front of me, Is she always so..?" I trailed off.

"Intense?" Harry suggested, raising his eyebrows. Neither of us moved to close the space between us, created by Ally's exit. "She never stops," he told me, a small smile on his lips as he stood up from the couch. I nodded. I could tell. Ally seemed like she had a lot on her plate at all times, organising this tour, and managing the ins and outs; but she didn't seem to complain, or shirk any responsibilities. I longed to enjoy being constantly busy and bombarded with work.

He'd disappeared briefly to the corner of the room to retrieve a hoodie, and he pulled it on, thankfully, sparing me from directing any more uncontrollable stares at his body in front of me. I started to wonder if I ought to leave, and go and get my Instagram set up in my own space - after all, it was now just Harry and me in here, and he seemed preoccupied with packing up his things from around the dressing room. I figured it was best not to push things, then. Our 'friendship' was still very new, and very fresh - I didn't need to outstay my welcome.

I stood up from the couch, closing my laptop, only for Harry's eyes to dart back over to me. "Where are you going?"

"Oh, I was just gonna go and set up this account," I gestured to the door, "I can send some photos over to you, if you'd like." I made my way towards the door, stopped only by the gentle frown I watched overtake his features.

"I thought we could pick them together," he said, suddenly, before he cleared his throat. "I mean," he paused, "wouldn't want you to accidentally post my bad side." He settled on referencing his joke from earlier, his eyes meeting my own, the playful glint present in them, as it always was. This was a friendly thing to do. He was simply an employer, seeking to maximise the work of his employee.

Slowly, I nodded. I'd opened up the account I already had for posting my photos, and selected a couple from tonight I liked the most. The first was a shot of Harry, his feet almost entirely off the ground as he bounced around the stage, his eyes squinted shut with a wide grin on his lips. I wasn't sure why, but it brought a funny heat to my face, and prompted a smile of my own when I saw it. The second was one of the photos I'd taken of the band, backstage, before the show.

Harry had surprised me when he'd hovered beside me, peering over my shoulder as I composed the post. I'd already shown him the photos I'd be posting, and he'd quoted the dreary tags I had to attach to the caption, to ensure, as Ally had put it, that the fans could easily find it. But he leant over my shoulder, my skin tingling at his presence, before he drew back, pulling his own phone from his pocket. It was only after I'd posted the photos that I got the notification that he'd followed my account. This was something that only two weeks ago would've absolutely blown my head off my shoulders; I'd have been lying to say that it didn't still spark a weird disbelief in me.

Harry reshared my post to his own account, and my notifications didn't silence after that. It got, very quickly, to the point where I had to turn my notifications off completely, feeling my phone begin to overheat at the sudden traction. I shook my head, a small laugh leaving my lips.

"Yeah," he returned the laugh, taking another seat beside me on the couch. "I've been through two phones this year, because of that," he quipped, and I half-believed him. It felt like my phone was about to explode.

I knew all of these people were only following me and liking my posts in order to see more content of Harry - they were his adoring fans, and his loyal followers; they weren't interested in me, by any means, but I already felt slightly overwhelmed by the sudden thousands of eyes upon an account in my possession. I couldn't actually imagine what it would be like to be somebody like Harry, the person who was actually being monitored so closely.

"Do you have other social media?" he'd asked me, suddenly, and I'd stared at him blankly for a moment.

"Um, yeah. I have an account that isn't for my photography," I said, rather stupidly, catching how his eyes remained on me as if prompting a further answer. "It's just my name."

He nodded, and didn't ask anything else. His eyes fell back to his phone, and I saw him typing something, but I didn't receive a notification of any kind, from him. In fact, it was only hours later, when I was finally back in my own hotel room, late at night, with everything packed to leave early the next morning, that my phone buzzed. I knew it couldn't have been my social media, because I'd silenced it all.

I'd stuffed the last of my things into my suitcase, when I heard the notification sound from where I'd chucked the phone down on the bed. I wandered over, picking it up, and taking a seat on the edge of the bed.

(1) Notification - Harry:

'What was your favourite One Direction song?'

My lips parted in surprise at his text. He'd obviously taken my number from our group chat, as I had done with his. Not only was I surprised to see his name on my phone screen, texting me directly, but I'd also never mentioned a thing to him about his old band. The last I'd truly thought much about them was back when I was a much younger teenager, and I'd tagged along with Grace to their concert for her birthday.

'Is this a trick question?' I responded. It only took a second for him to be typing in return.

It took only a couple of seconds for his response to come through, causing my eyes to widen. He'd attached a photo; a screenshot he'd taken, not even from my own Instagram - I'd known he wouldn't find much on there, if he'd bothered to look - but from Grace's account. It was a photo that was years old, blurry and of poor quality, taken by her parents at the One Direction concert we'd attended. He'd looked me up, and clearly, he'd investigated further. I felt a tiny pull in my chest. Was he doing a social media stalk on me? At one o'clock in the morning?

I typed a reply. 'Do I need to get everybody I know to block you?'

His response came equally as fast. 'Was I your favourite?'

I shuffled back against my pillows, an uncontrollable grin on my face. 'Not even top three.'

I could see that he was typing almost straight away, the bubble filling my screen for a couple of seconds, before it stopped. I watched my screen for a moment, but saw no further action from his contact, and so I set my phone down beside me, leaning back into my pillow and attempting to bite back the smile on my face. Why did he have this effect on me?

Another moment passed, and I moved to set my phone down to charge beside the bed, only for it to buzz again. Harry.

'And look at us now.'

I shook my head, an image of the smirk that was undoubtedly on his lips as he'd typed those words forcing its way into my mind, to the point where I could already tell that the moment my eyes closed to sleep, I would see it in even more detail. And I was right.

Tonight was my third show working with Harry, and it was the first that I'd dared to propose taking some pictures of him prior to the show. After Ally's request on the first day that I try and capture some more of the essence of the tour, and the way everybody lived outside of the performances, I knew Harry's process of preparing for the show would be the perfect place to start.

Harry had answered my knock on his dressing room door with his toothbrush held tightly between his lips. He spoke, muffled by the toothbrush in his mouth, as he held the door open for me to enter. I squinted at him, unable to determine what on earth he was saying. He held a finger up to me, hurrying back over to the bathroom and spitting out his toothpaste, running the tap for a few seconds.

"I said," he called from the bathroom, before resurfacing to stand in front of me, "you are the only person who knocks around here."

I raised an eyebrow, "I'm not just gonna barge in on you."

He looked at me for a moment, before he turned to walk over to his bag, his back to me. "Why? You've seen more than most."

I didn't reply, but I was suddenly very thankful that he was looking away, hoping he wouldn't be able to sense the way my body had tensed at that mere comment. I bit my lip. He wasn't wrong. My mind certainly wouldn't let me forget that.

Following his own comment, Harry began to appear much less talkative. He wandered around the room, grabbing bits and pieces that he needed from his bag. He'd obviously showered, not too long ago, but he was dressed in far more casual clothes than he would wear on stage. I noticed how he didn't look at me, for a while. It was almost like he would, at times, catch himself talking to me with a little too much ease, and either clear his throat or shift his tone, or topic of conversation, as a result. I would catch his eyebrows furrowing, almost as if silently cursing himself. I didn't quite understand that. He wanted to be my friend, after all.

"How was your writing session today?" I asked him, hoping to break through the silence between us, and ease some of the tension. I'd gotten coffee with Elin and Sarah that morning, and Sarah had told me that Mitch and Pauli had joined Harry to do some writing.

He nodded, "It was pretty good. We just threw some ideas about."

"What are you writing for?" I asked, "your next album?"

He shook his head, turning to look at me, now, as I brought my camera back down into my lap. "Not necessarily. I'm always writing. Sometimes it doesn't really go anywhere."

I found myself curious as to what he wrote about; what inspired him, but I didn't want to pry. I watched him carefully as he moved about the room, before he pulled his shirt over his head and disappeared into the bathroom, but he didn't close the door. I chewed on my lip, lost in thought. I ought to have been photographing him, but I couldn't quite tear my eyes away to do so. I wondered what it was that made him tick. Songwriting was a foreign concept to me, but just from hearing his music, live, a couple of times now, I knew he had an immense gift for it.

There was something about the words he sang that made you feel like you understood, even if you definitely didn't. It was like his words had so much literal meaning, but they also left just enough to the imagination. There was a level of subtlety in them, to where I certainly couldn't have known what he was referencing, or the situations he was describing, but somehow, I could see myself there. It was like I'd experienced these things with him, despite having done nothing of the sort. I wasn't sure I'd ever been so entranced by music before; if I'd ever experienced that sort of thing, until him. Harry had a way of reeling you in, as if you were sharing these words and experiences so personally with him. I wondered if he was aware of that.

I stood up, to see Harry slipping his arms into a sheer, button-up shirt. He glanced over at me, his eyes lingering for a second or two, before he turned back to face the mirror.

"Can I?" I asked, quietly, tentatively edging towards the bathroom. I knew I was only doing my job, but I couldn't help but feel a little intrusive. He nodded, his eyes not moving from the mirror in front of him as he slid a few of his buttons through. I took a step into the bathroom, suddenly feeling very enclosed in this space with him, despite the door being wide open behind me into the rest of his dressing room. I raised my camera to my face, taking two photos of him, before I found myself speaking to him again. "What do you write about?"

His eyes flickered between his own reflection, and mine, beside him. He left a number of buttons undone, just as he often did. "All sorts of things. Growing up, experiences... people," he paused, glancing down at the sink.

"Writing a song about somebody..." I paused, trailing off momentarily, my mouth airing my thoughts before I'd really intended to. "That just feels so intimate."

"It is," he returned, bringing his eyes upwards to meet mine. He pursed his lips for a second, fiddling mindlessly with his collar. "There has to be a lot of feelings there.. good, or bad," he cleared his throat, again, looking away from me to reach for his bottle of cologne. "Sometimes it's easier to write things than it is to say them."

I brought my camera up again, snapping another photo as he brought the bottle of cologne upwards and pointed it at his neck. I hadn't noticed that my breath was hitched in my throat as he tilted his jaw in the reflection of the mirror, until I suddenly caught myself exhaling. I turned and walked out of the bathroom, back into the much safer distance granted by his dressing room.

It was only another moment or two until he followed me out. I'd figured he needed something else from his bag, but he surprised me by taking a seat on the opposite end of the couch from where I had.

"What were you doing before you came here?" he asked me, positioning himself on his side, in his seat, so that he could face me. "Before you came on tour, I mean. What were you doing in London? I realised that I've never asked."

"Studying," I told him, honestly, surprised by his intrigue. "Working."

"What were you studying? Photography?" he asked, and I shook my head. I hated this conversation. I avoided it at all costs. But this was the first time that it was coming from somebody who knew me as a photographer.

"Law," I replied, watching his eyebrows raise in response. "And I was working in a law firm."

"Do you want to be a lawyer, then?" he asked me, frowning as I hesitated. "Then why were you doing that?" He posed the question as if he hadn't needed me to tell him 'no', directly. 

I ran my hands nervously over the camera in my lap, fidgeting with it a little, avoiding his very correct assumption that I didn't want to be a lawyer, really, at all. "Y'know, London can be expensive. It's a good, stable income after university. So, money, I guess. Practicality reasons." Not entirely a lie...

"What changed?" he asked, his eyes scanning over my face with such intensity that I almost felt like I was being observed under a microscope. You. You walked in, and without even meaning to, you changed everything. You pulled me out of a deep spiral at Johnny's, that night. That, as well as Grace wanting better for me - she'd wanted things to change; she was the literal, and most instrumental catalyst of all, I knew that.

I shrugged, hoping to divert the topic of conversation onto something else. "I got an opportunity I couldn't refuse." That was the short way of telling it. The briefness of my replies was clearly something he didn't miss. He didn't pry, then.

"Do you live alone?" he asked, and I remained surprised by his sustained interest in my answers. He appeared to watch my lips in anticipation of my response, as if prepared to take in every single word.

"With my best friend, Grace," I told him, watching his eyes flicker away from me in brief thought, for a moment. He was probably piecing together that he'd been on her account the other night. I looked to quickly change the subject away from my personal life; we were entering a dangerous territory that I didn't have any desire to navigate. I noted his interest in my living situation, whilst studying. "Do you ever wish you could've gone to uni?"

Harry paused for a second, pursing his lips in what appeared to be contemplation. He played mindlessly with a couple of the rings on his fingers, bringing his eyes back to me. "I'd like to have got a degree, maybe. Though I'm not sure what I would've done with it."

"What would you have studied?"

"English Literature, I suppose," he answered, leaning his head against the sofa cushion, lazily. "It was my favourite back in school. It was what I was going to study, if I hadn't left." It was then, I realised, I really knew as little about his upbringing as he knew about mine. I was sure from the moment he'd encountered fame, every little detail of his personal life had been aired to the public - but I hadn't divulged in any of those details. I didn't actually know how he'd gotten to where he was, or what it had taken. I'd only really seen him as so many did; as an established talent, and an already world-renowned artist.

"How old were you when you left?" I asked him, my position now mirroring his own on the couch. We were a couple of feet apart, but I could still feel how my senses were on fire, simply from his attention on me. Our eyes were locked on each other, both of us seated sideways, leaning into the sofa.

"Sixteen," he told me, his voice quiet. He pressed his lips together.

"That's so young," I returned, equally quiet. I couldn't imagine beginning a career, let alone one like his, under such a large spotlight, at such a young age.

A tiny smile broke onto his lips. "I think everybody only started to realise that after it had all begun," he said. "I think it kind of hit my mum when we found out that I had to move over two hours away." He'd never mentioned his family to me before.

"Were you scared?" I asked, afraid that if I pushed too far, he might reject my question, as I knew I would in his situation. I had moved away at the age of eighteen, and I already knew the tribulations that came with such a thing - I knew how it had been in my situation. I knew how scared I had been - of leaving. But I'd been more scared of staying.

He looked at me for a moment, as if trying to read the thoughts racing through my head. Then, he nodded, slowly. I watched him bite his lip back into his mouth, staring into space for a second, before he cleared his throat again, breaking our position and standing up. "I managed, though," he finally replied, his tone rather lacking in emotion, as he quickly walked over to the other side of the room, creating some greater distance between us. He faced the wall, instead of me.

We stayed in silence for a few more moments, Harry rifling through his bag in search of nothing, in particular. I couldn't help but watch him, only half dressed in his concert attire, his bottom half still clad in a comfortable-looking pair of sweatpants; a contrast to the sheer button-up on his top half, that likely cost more than my rent for a year.

"I do wish I could've gone to uni, sometimes," he said softly, the emotion returning to his tone after a few moments. He still didn't look at me, but my eyes followed him, as he returned to my question. "I'd like to have been a proper student; experience growing up that way." I half-expected him to silence himself again, as he had before, but he didn't. "I'd have liked to move away for the first time, then. 'Have my mum come down and visit. I'd have liked to show her how I was living, and growing up, without her learning about it through tabloids." His voice was solemn as he spoke, and he blinked a couple of times as he turned to look at me, as I remained in my seat on the sofa. "I know how lucky I am to be here, don't get me wrong. I love it," he spoke a little more forcefully. It was as if he'd remembered his role here; his performance, and he'd had to chuck in a disclaimer to avoid being misinterpreted, or misquoted. "I just would've liked to experience that... I don't know."

I didn't speak for a minute, taking in his words. I'd never thought of it that way. I'd, perhaps rather short-sightedly, assumed that he would simply be overly accustomed to living in such an extravagant manner, and would have sheer neglect for the way people normally lived. He hadn't really done anything to give me that impression; but I'd assumed, nonetheless. It was interesting to see somebody in his position yearn to be in a position like my own - something I would deem so trivial, and so meaningless; to him, it was a foreign concept.

Harry looked over at me. His eyes burned into me; I could feel the intensity of his gaze even with such a distance between us. I couldn't tell what he was thinking, but his repeated blinks and his frequent shifting of his eyes to stare at the wall in front of him made it seem like it was almost disbelief. It was like he couldn't believe he'd said so much, and that he hadn't meant to. Then why had he?

"Are you and your mum close?" I asked him, tentatively. I felt like he was about to cut off our conversation at any moment, and I wasn't usually so nosy, but I found myself wanting to know more about him. I wanted to understand him.

He nodded, "We are. Very," he said, but he didn't continue. I understood not wanting to say too much. I knew I was in very dangerous territory; there was being friendly, and then there was getting to know him, on a true level. That was something I really ought to avoid, I knew that. But I couldn't help it. There was something about Harry - I just wanted to know him. I wasn't sure I'd felt that with anybody before; a desire to really know, and understand them, beyond a surface level. I wasn't one to pry, or ask personal questions, because I didn't want personal interactions. I also knew it meant that I would have to give personal answers of my own, and that just wasn't an option.

"Are you close with your family?"

There we go.

The exact type of question I was hoping to avoid. But I simply had to open my mouth and ask about him and his life. And I was sure he didn't really want to know - it was just politeness; a courteous response to me asking him about his own life. But I'd dug this hole myself - I'd let my intrigue and curiosity surrounding Harry; my desire to know him more than I did, get the better of me.

"I don't see them as much, after moving away," I said, swallowing thickly. Good start. Not exactly a lie.

"But you were close?" Harry asked.

I bit my lip, pulling my sleeves quickly over my hands and toying with them. "Yeah, definitely," was all I could manage, as I tried to ignore the feeling that I could be sick at any moment. Please, let that be enough. Please.  I was thankful he didn't poke, or prod, and instead proceeded to finish getting ready. I left his dressing room, finally, as he went to finish getting ready. I was sure I had enough photos of him, already.

A deep exhale escaped my lips as I moved back down the hallway, hurriedly. That was close - too close. I needed to wind myself back in, before I said too much. This trip wasn't for complications - it was for me; for me to be happy. I didn't need to be rehashing any of my past - I didn't that to haunt me, here. No complications.

I settled in an abandoned chair, tucked away in the backstage area, and I began to transfer my photos from my camera to my computer. I sighed, leaning back in my chair as the first image of him appeared; with his messy, dark curls and the hypnotizing green of his eyes - Harry was the greatest complication of them all.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 56.5K 70
In which the reader from our universe gets added to the UA staff chat For reasons the humor will be the same in both dimensions Dark Humor- Read at...
248K 10K 60
๐—œ๐—ก ๐—ช๐—›๐—œ๐—–๐—› noura denoire is the first female f1 driver in ๐——๐—˜๐—–๐—”๐——๐—˜๐—ฆ OR ๐—œ๐—ก ๐—ช๐—›๐—œ๐—–๐—› noura denoire and charle...
Fake love By :)

Fanfiction

111K 2.6K 41
When your PR team tells you that we have to date a girl on the UCONN women basketball team and you can't say no to it... At first you don't think too...
951K 36K 86
๐—Ÿ๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜„๐—ฎ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ธ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ, ๐—น๐˜‚๐—ฐ๐—ธ๐—ถ๐—น๐˜† ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ, ๐—”๐—ป๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๏ฟฝ...