Beyond The Barricade | les mi...

Od occasionallyremy

Hyacinth Toussaint, a stubborn redheaded girl, has always been passionate about her beliefs. She knows what s... Více

one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty
thirty one
thirty two
thirty three
thirty four

eleven

92 1 0
Od occasionallyremy

Enjolras' eyes were still locked on mine as the boys cheered loudly, conversing together.

"Give me a brandy on my breath and I'll breathe them all to death!" I heard Grantaire say loudly, earning a chuckle and slap on the neck.

"Twenty rifles good as new!" Feuilly yelled out. Enjolras took a step toward me, not sparing a second glance at Marius, whom he had passed. He walked slowly, ignoring the madness around us. I felt my heartbeat quicken and for some reason my mind was going fuzzy under his gaze. He shouldered past Combeferre and was now a few more steps away from me. The look in his eye was foreign to me and I could feel my pride crumble more and more by the second. He opened his mouth to say something, but was quickly interrupted by Gavroche, who had sprinted back up the stairs.

"Listen everyone!" he yelled, standing on a chair. I broke away from Enjolras' gaze and looked toward the small boy. "General Lamarque is dead!"

I felt all the air in the room go thin and everyone went silent, looking at Enjolras almost immediately. Even I turned to him, curious as to what this meant for us. He looked at me for a second more before meeting eyes with everyone in the room.

"Lamarque," he said. "His death is the hour of fate. The people's man. His death is the sign we await!" My stomach felt like a tight knot as the words left his lips. I stared at him as everyone started to get riled up. I looked at Marius, who offered a small smile to me. I stood tall. This was what I had been wanting to be a part of. This was what I wanted.

"On his funeral day they will honor his name with the light of rebellion ablaze in their eyes," Enjolras continued. "With their candles of grief, we will kindle our flame. On the tomb of Lamarque shall our barricade rise." The boys stared at him, their eyes filled with fire and hunger as Enjolras spoke. I watched as he held his chin high like I had seen him do on several occasions. I folded my arms across my chest and listened, feeling the same fire the boys had in their eyes.

"The time is here. Let us welcome it gladly with courage and cheer. Let us take to the streets with no doubt in our hearts," he looked around the room. His eyes caught mine briefly before they traveled on to Marius. "With a jubilant shout. They will come one and all."

I stared at him, something I couldn't seem to stop doing today. That's when he looked back at me with a strong look in his eye.

"They will come when we call!" we all shouted. I turned away from Enjolras and looked at Gavroche, who beamed at me. I placed a hand on top of his head and just looked at his face.

"Oh!" he exclaimed, grabbing my hand. "Someone outside was asking for you, Hyacinth." My body tensed and the room went almost completely silent. My face fell as I stared into his eyes.

"Who? Can you tell me what they looked like?" I quizzed, turning quickly to lock eyes with Marius. Enjolras, shockingly, was standing closer to me than I thought he was. Marius joined him and gripped my shoulder tightly.

"She had your hair color. Not too red, not too blonde. She also had your color eyes. A pretty greenish brown."

"Is there anything else?" I asked, praying the woman he was describing was not my mother. Gavroche nodded and closed his eyes, recounting his memory.

"She wore a nice blue dress and her hair was curly, like yours." I sighed in relief, hearing him describe Cécile. Mother had stick straight hair and she never wore colors other than green or white. I nodded at him, letting myself smile at him. I turned to Marius and Enjolras, realizing everyone in the room had turned to watch my interaction with Gavroche.

"He's just described Cécile," I said. "I will go to her. I won't be long." I turned for the stairs, but a hand caught my arm tightly. I whipped around and met eyes with Enjolras.

"You're an idiot if you think I'm letting you go out there alone," he said firmly. I held my breath and looked at Marius, who just stared at Enjolras with an odd look in his eye.

"Go with her," he said. Enjolras looked at him and loosened his grip on me. Without a word he nodded and let go of me, walking behind me toward the stairs. I heard conversations break out between them as soon as my foot hit the steps. I couldn't make out their words, but they sounded almost in shock. My eyes locked on the door as I imagined Cécile standing on the other side. I felt horrible for leaving her at the hands of Mother's rage. I knew she'd turn to Cécile if she couldn't directly get to me. I winced at the idea of Cécile being locked in her room with little food and no contact. At the idea of my mother handing her off to some man who'd harm her if she so as dared to speak a word against him. I felt my heartbeat in my throat as a realization hit.

What if she put Cécile up to this?

I stopped at the bottom of the stairs, staring at the door. It had only been a night. I went through too much stress to be taken back to my prison so soon. Enjolras stopped beside me, his eyes locked on the same point as mine.

"What's wrong?" he asked, taking a step forward.

"What if she's there?"

"Gavroche said-"

"She wouldn't make her presence known. She'd hide. She'll kill me, I know she will," I said, feeling the panic rise. It took over my voice and my composure. I felt a hand on my shoulder as he turned me to face him. His other hand met my other shoulder and he stared at me.

"That's why I am here, Cinth. You think I'd let that happen?"

I blinked at him and felt my mind ease as he spoke. His voice was soft, a tone I had never heard from him. It was comforting. I nodded once and looked at the door.

"Whenever you're ready," he said. I took a deep breath and walked toward the door. Enjolras was close behind me as I slowly opened the door. Cécile stood there, her eyes on the ground and her hands clasped together. She looked worried, but there were no signs of harm.

Not yet.

She looked up and her face lit up. She pulled me into a tight hug and buried her face in my shoulder. I stroked her hair softly and let her take a moment. Anything she needed, I give her. I let her pull away first, and took her hand in mine.

"I haven't seen you in days," she gasped.

"I know," I mumbled.

"Mother is enraged. We've had to keep Constance away from her. Any chance she gets to speak ill of you she takes it."

"She's gone mad," I said. Cécile nodded and looked past me briefly. Then she looked at me, that signature smirk spreading on her lips. I gave her a look and she dropped the face, looking at Enjolras once more before turning her attention back to me.

"I have to tell you," she said, her voice turning serious. "They're looking hard. Monsieur Anthony has raided houses, Hyacinth. He's walking around armed. He threatened to shoot Father this morning. I've only broken free from them to warn you."

"How did you know where I'd be?" I asked.

"I had a hunch. I've heard your conversations with Marius. I know things," she muttered, leaning forward. "Now, I must get away from here before they come to find me. Stay safe, Hyacinth. I don't want them to hurt you."

"I will. I promise," I said, squeezing her hand. She nodded, her hand slipping out of my grasp. She backed away slowly, her eyes still on mine as she moved farther and farther away. I felt Enjolras put a hand on my arm and begin to slowly pull me toward the door. I reluctantly turned away from my sister and followed him inside. He said nothing as he closed the door behind me. He seemed to be deep in thought. I studied his face for a second before pushing past him and walking back up the stairs. Marius caught my eye and he seemed to release all tension in his shoulders as he saw me. I walked toward him and stood next to him, thinking about Cécile's words.

They'd been looking. They'd broken into homes. What would stop them from storming the café right now? Catching me in a cause that is even worse than me just refusing a proposal. What would stop Anthony from shooting until everyone was dead, ridding them all of the chance to fight for their beliefs because of me? I was painting a target on their backs even larger than the ones they had painted on themselves. That fact haunted me. The thought of them all facing Anthony with no proper notice or preparations. Of him invading this space I had grown to feel safe in. Of my mother dragging me back home to make me as good as dead. Of what she'd do when she found out Marius was here. What she'd have Anthony do to Marius.

I looked at him, feeling his hand on my back as he read my face. Somehow, he could read my thoughts. He knew what to do every time and it baffled me that he was always there. His support never wavered. Not even when we were just children. He was there.

I would forever be grateful for him. He could calm me. Could listen to me ramble and never once show any sign of annoyance. He was everything a person needed to be. But, as I turned my head to look at Enjolras, my mind rang with the most confusing thoughts. The control I had over my thoughts was stripped from me and all I could do was look at him.

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

8K 328 40
Mary Combeferre had always been given everything she had ever wanted. Being the duke's daughter and twelfth in line for the throne technically made h...
58.3K 2.5K 42
Eponine's life changed the minute she met the dark-haired, blue-eyed wonder Marius Pontmercy. She knew from the minute she saw him that she loved him...
4.8K 160 24
Paris 1832, Three months before the historic June uprising, almost 20 year-old Allete Auvray becomes acquainted with a small group of young revolutio...
4.6K 223 28
In the autumn of 1831, Cosette and Sybill Fauchelevent arrive with their father to a quiet house in the quiet French town of Saint-Michele. Both of...