To The Moon And Back

By revathibalawritings

"He is drop-dead gorgeous," admits Priya Malhotra. His gentle and warm gaze, kindness, everything about him d... More

To The Moon And Back
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 3
ANNOUNCEMENT!
Preorder!
BOOK AVAILABLE!

Chapter 2

1.2K 65 10
By revathibalawritings

Chapter 2

IT WAS TUESDAY morning around half past 10, blinking on the digital clock on the wall. Having free time, Priya opened her online business management course and was writing notes. She had informed her boss of his schedule, and surprisingly he asked to cancel them. He seemed to be a little off, and she wondered whether his son, Kunal, had brought any new trouble on his head. As far as she knew, it was nothing new, and if there was anything as such, she would be the first one to know. After she had started working for Vijay Sharma, she spent the majority of her time covering up his son's escapades.

It's been nearly three years since she joined Sharma Company.

Thanks to the old man, Vijay Sharma. She started as a small paid worker and proved her abilities, now working as an executive assistant. In the beginning, she was a klutz, she thought grimly. Sometimes, maybe even now. Molding herself into a perfectionist had been fun and a laborious task. Not a single person goes by without making mistakes, right? Whenever she recalled them, she had a good laugh. This company had given her so much when she was in dire need. And she would do anything for the Sharma Company.

She was in the middle of the asynchronous class when an email notification popped on her desktop. She opened the email icon, and when her eyes took in the email subject, she was pissed.

"Well... Someone is in a foul mood today." A familiar voice spoke beside her, making Priya jump. She didn't even realize someone had entered the cabin.

"Madhu! Why do you sneak up on me, always?" she scolded her friend, Madhubala – her friend and coworker – keeping a hand on her chest.

Madhu twisted her mouth and turned away, saying, "I think no one wants my coffee."

"For me?" Priya perked up, seeing two mugs of hot coffee in her hands. She stretched her hands eagerly.

"Oh, why?" Madhu said, "I might have even spooked this coffee. I am a person who sneaks up on people, right?" she turned her head to the other side. Her short, curly ponytail bounced behind her with each stride she took. God, only Madhu could hold a grudge hard, just for a tiny slip of word.

"Just give me my coffee," Priya demanded. Madhu made a sound as if she was unimpressed but handed her the coffee.

When Priya took a sip, half her headache seemed to fly away, "Thank you so much."

Madhu shrugged and took a seat in an empty chair in front of her. "So?" she sipped hers, "What's with that frown on your face?"

Priya sighed and regarded Madhu thoughtfully. "Why don't you try pursuing art instead of being stuck here? Post your paintings on social media... Instagram, Facebook... I am sure somebody would be interested. Give a chance."

"Says the one who doesn't have at least one of them," Madhu countered and then narrowed her gaze. "This discussion takes us nowhere. Now," she set her cup aside, "Don't divert the topic."

Priya smiled at her concern. She had known Madhu for almost two and a half years. Priya had been just promoted when Madhu joined the company as a worker. Though there was a considerable difference in the status of their jobs, they clicked instantly and became good friends. Madhu was an exceptional artist. By accident, Priya found Madhu's sketchbook. Priya never understood why she wasn't pursuing art and working in Sharma Company for low pay.

When Priya voiced out her question, Madhu shrugged, saying, 'They're just silly strokes. And it wasn't easy to learn fine art. I don't even have my high school certificate. Then, how can I afford the art school?'

Priya raised an eyebrow at that. It was an absurd thing and she doesn't agree with Madhu. She believed a person's talent couldn't be judged by a piece of paper. Without Madhu's knowledge, Priya had shown Madhu's sketchbook to their boss, Vijay Sharma. To say he was impressed would be an understatement. He told Priya a talent shouldn't go to waste and that he would do something.

Priya turned her computer screen towards Madhu. "Who is this joker?" Madhu scrunched her nose.

"Marriage proposal."

Madhu bugged her eyes out, giving her an impossible look.

"Hmmm..." Priya tapped a finger against her chin, "Maybe twenty-fifth..."

"This is what... Fifth in a week?" Priya nodded. "Wow. Your mom doesn't give up, huh?" Madhu shook her head.

"I don't know what to do," Priya pressed her head. "These days, she was knee bent on getting me married."

"What are you waiting for?"

"Huh?"

Madhu shrugged. "You're what? Twenty-six? You are always rejecting a guy without any second thought. What are you looking for?"

"When you put it that way," Priya shrugged. "I don't know."

"Come on. At some point, you'd have thought something. Like, tall, handsome."

Priya averted her gaze and then closed her eyes. "What do I gain? Life doesn't go as we planned."

When there wasn't a sound, Priya opened her eyes to see a frown on Madhu's face. She forced a smile and said, "That frown doesn't suit you."

"You know you can talk to me, right."

"Of course," Priya said. "Why don't you come to my place today? Mom asked you."

"Sure," Madhu smiled. At the exact moment, the intercom buzzed.

"And..." Madhu stood saying, "that's my queue to leave."

Priya smiled and waved. Then, she took her notepad with a pen and headed to Vijay Sharma's room. As she knocked and entered, she almost dashed into Vicky, who was from the accounts department. Giving her a nervous nod, he scurried away. It's been nearly two months since he joined the company, and still, he's scared. She shook her head and saw Vijay Sharma sitting in his chair, deep in thought.

"Sir," Priya called.

Vijay looked at her, and a warm smile spread across his face. "Come, dear. Take a seat."

She walked toward his desk and sat in the chair in front of him. As she looked at him, even though there was warmth on his face, there was also sadness. He was in his early sixties. Past his retirement.

"How is your course going?" he asked.

"Good sir," her eyes twinkled, "Three more months, and I'll have my diploma."

Now, his original smile returned. "Then? What are your plans?"

She blinked. "Then?"

He raised an eyebrow. "You don't plan to stay as my assistant forever, right."

She gave a sheepish smile.

He shook his head. "Priya... Priya..." he emphasized her name.

"This company gave me a lot, sir," she said softly, "With your encouragement, I am able to continue my education. And I want to do something in return for our company. I don't wanna leave, even after I have my diploma."

"What if Sharma Company is no more?" he asked suddenly, surprising her.

"Why will it be no more, sir?"

He went silent. Priya's keen eyes noted the distant look on his face. Vijay Sharma was the jolliest man she had ever known.

"Sir?"

"I want you to be open for any opportunity you get, dear," he said strangely. Before Priya could ask anything, Vijay's mobile rang. One look at the caller ID, and he was tense. "Okay, Priya. You can go. And... I am heading out. If I have any calls, you know what to do," he said, taking a file in front of him. She stood along with him and glimpsed the file. It was an old document of their company. But then she shrugged.

∞∞∞

A HALF-HOUR LATER, Priya shut her computer and stretched in her seat. Just as she stood to take a break, the door burst open hurriedly.

"Priya ma'am," Vicky walked in anxiously.

"What happened?" She frowned, watching him adjust his nerdy glasses and wet his lips.

"Ma'am," he looked stressed, "Gadbad hogaya (Mishmash happened!)."

"Hu-ah kya hai? (What happened exactly?)."

"I mixed up the files," he bit his nails.

Placing her hands on her hips, she glared. "If you don't speak clearly. I am gonna beat you up black and blue."

Looking at her, he slumped down in the chair in front of her and bowed his head. "Sharma sir asked for a file. And I... I gave it to him."

"Okay... then what's the problem?" she shrugged, sitting down in her chair.

"But it's an old file," he was on the verge of crying.

She stared. "Okay," she said slowly, "First, calm down. Take deep breaths." He did as told. "Didn't you check the file before giving it to Mr. Sharma?"

"No, ma'am," he shook his head, "I usually do. But, my senior... She put the file in my hand and hurried me saying Mr. Sharma needs this urgently and I just ran up here," he continued to blabber. Just then, Priya's mobile rang, and she saw it was from Vijay Sharma.

Vicky cried, pulling his hair. "I am fired today."

Priya shushed him, keeping a finger on her lips, "Shh!" He muted his voice but not his actions.

"Hello, sir."

"Priya," Vijay sounded a bit worried, "Dear, can you get the files containing our property documents, sales, financials, equipment list, employee listings? The recent statistics are missing in this file."

"Sure, sir. Where should I get it?"

"I'll text you the address." Then, he hung up.

As she put her phone down, Vicky asked anxiously, "I am fired, right."

"Vicky," she said gently, "Mr. Sharma doesn't fire his employees. I never heard or seen him do so. So, you don't have to worry. And see... I don't need to tell you this. But, you should know what you are doing. If you have a doubt, you should ask your senior. Know why you are doing that particular work. Don't just blindly do what your senior says."

He nodded, embarrassed. Seeing his expression, Priya gave a cheery smile.

"Cheer up, man! This should be a lesson for you. Try not to repeat the mistake. Be responsible when something is passing down from your hands. This business world is full of wolves. They'll eat you up alive if you don't find courage." He nodded and gave a small smile. "Come on! Help me get the required documents."

"Ah... Ma'am," he said hesitantly, "There are no soft copies. And Mrs. Vani didn't say anything."

She stood up walking to the door. "So, what? Print them out. Didn't you hear what Mr. Sharma said? And... how could she get the wrong file? This is the nth time Vani repeated the mistake. I should speak with her," she mentally noted.

It took her fifteen minutes to print out the reports and organize them in a file. With the file in her hands, she rushed out the door. The address wasn't too far. But with the traffic, it took her twenty minutes. Priya reached the restaurant and handed the keys to the valet hurriedly.

At the front station, she smiled at the head waiter. "Is Mr. Vijay Sharma here?" she asked. The head waiter was of full attention. With a professional smile, "Yes, ma'am. Right this way," he said, coming out of the station. She followed him as he led her to the best place in the restaurant.

Sure enough, as she thought, Vijay's face was full of worry when she walked up to the table. She noticed a man dressed in an expensive suit in the seat next to him.

They were in the middle of talking when she said, "Good afternoon, sir." She smiled, stopping next to Vijay. "Sorry to interrupt you both. Here's the file you needed," she said, keeping the file on the table.

Vijay's eyes brightened seeing her, and he took the file studying it. She stood to the side, waiting for his orders. He nodded, relieved, and passed the file to the man. He, too, did the same and nodded at Vijay.

"This is it," Vijay smiled up at Priya, "Thank you, dear."

She nodded and was about to leave when he stood. "Wait a minute," he turned back to his companion, "Mr. Iyer, I'd like you to meet my assistant, Priya Malhotra." The other man followed his suit, standing up and smiling at her. "Priya. This is Krishna Iyer. CFO of AS Organization."

ASO?

Her face might have shown the surprise because the man named Krishna chuckled a little and extended his hand.

"It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Pleasure is all mine, sir. I heard a lot about your company."

"I thought your boss was exaggerating about you," Krishna looked at Vijay and nodded. "Now I agree. The file was detailed and organized."

She blushed. "Well, I think I should leave," she said.

"Please, join us. You can meet my boss too," Krishna said.

Meet Abhay Sinha.

The President of the AS Organization.

What was Vijay Sir doing with the President of ASO? Maybe, Mr. Sinha was investing in the Sharma Company? She was delighted at the possibility but also unsure.

Mr. Sinha was a ruthless yet honest businessman. He conquered the business world at a young age, establishing AS Organization in India's top five conglomerates and interests in foreign countries. He's a conqueror either investing or buying companies in losses, spreading the wings of his organization in almost all business sectors. One mistake from Sharma's and Vijay Sharma would be in huge debts. Probably, bankrupted. She didn't casually say he's ruthless.

She had never seen him. A few old pictures circulated on the internet, only his side profiles. Once, he sued a magazine for invading his privacy and taking pictures without his consent. So, apart from his professional life in tabloids, there was not much about his personal life. He avoids interviews. Many people tagged him as arrogant and egotistical.

She was curious. When she looked at Vijay, he too nodded.

Curbing her curiosity, she said instead, "I should go. Sorry. Maybe next time." She didn't want to be a third party, being an invasion of the great Abhay Sinha's business and becoming a source of his anger. Krishna nodded. Saying goodbye to both of them, she headed out the door.

She asked the valet for her car. "Five minutes, ma'am. Our boy will get here," a young valet said. She nodded and stood at the entrance, checking her mobile.

As she was waiting, she heard the dejected voice of the young valet, "Please, sister. Give whatever is needed to my father and add it to my account," he paused, "Please. I will surely make the payment by tomorrow morning." She looked at him just when he hung up a call with a fallen face. His co-worker maybe, asked, "How is your father?"

She shrugged and concentrated on a message from Madhu. 'Where are you?' Priya was typing a reply when again she heard them.

"Not good. Doctors diagnosed it as heart disease. He needs immediate surgery. I don't have that kind of money, and my relatives showed their back to me. I don't even have a single penny to buy medicines. I don't know what to do... I can't give up on my father," his voice croaked.

Priya couldn't help but walk over to him, "Excuse me."

The valets looked at her. "Your name?" she asked.

"Tarun."

"I heard your conversation," Priya said. He frowned. She held up a finger and removed some cash hurriedly, "I know this is not much. But I hope it helps your father... at least with his medicines. Also, why don't you post on social media about your father's condition? There might be someone with a bigger heart who can help your father."

Tarun stared in wonder between her face and the cash. "Madam... How... I..." words didn't come out of his mouth.

"It is for your father," She smiled and blinked as her eyes well up at the thought of her father. "I know the feeling of having your father on his deathbed and not having a last look. Please, take this."

Tarun looked at her gratefully. "I don't know how to thank you, Didi. I won't forget this help." By then, her old Nexon was in front. She took the keys handed to her by the other valet. She nodded at Tarun and went to her car. Setting the car in slow motion, she turned her head to wave at Tarun when she saw him gesturing to her to stop frantically.

She pressed the sudden break. Just then, a gasp escaped her mouth when a sudden force pushed her car forward. Her head hit the steering wheel, and her breath was knocked out of her. For a few seconds, her whole body shook, and she looked around her. Slowly, her senses started working.

What the hell happened?

Angrily she exited the car and saw the front of a black sleek Audi car attached to the rear of her Nexon. The Audi was fine, looking hard and robust with just a light dip to the bumper. But hers? Her old Nexon looked far from okay. The rear lights were broken and a part of the back side was completely crushed.

The valets there were also watching, horrified at the damage. Tarun was stunned and forgot what he wanted to say.

"Oh, God!" Priya cried, her hands flying to cover her mouth. A sudden rage clouded her eyes, and she swiftly turned to the Audi. Her anger had no limits when she saw the silhouette of the driver on the phone and now he was looking at the damage from his seat. She strode to the driver's side and knocked furiously on the tinted window. "Come out!"

She stepped back quickly when the door clicked open, and a long leg stepped out. Slowly, her eyes traveled up, meeting the smoldering gaze of the man, knocking the breath out of her.

Wow! That was her first thought. He's looking incredibly... hot!

What the! Hot?

So what? He rear-kicked her car with his.

"Couldn't you horn?" she scoffed, pointedly looking at the mobile in his hand.

"Well, if I am not mistaken," his deep voice said, "You pulled the sudden break."

"Hello," she waved, "I was moving slowly. You were behind me. So, you should have seen and kept a minimum distance," She shouted, furious with the man's arrogant stance. She gave a humorless laugh, "Why would you when you were chit-chatting on mobile?"

"If you want money, just say it. I don't have time for your tricks," the arrogant man said, fixing his stern gaze on her. He took his wallet out and removed a wad of cash, keeping it in her hand.

Her mouth fell open. "What. A. Jerk?" she said.

"Excuse me," he tilted his head.

"I said jerk, Jerk!" she poked his chest with her finger. "Oh yeah, Jackass too."

If she thought he was angry before, she was wrong. He was fuming now as he took a step toward her. She stood rooted, suddenly aware of her strength. He could crush her with his broad, powerful arms.

The valets immediately reached them. One of them said, "We are sorry for the inconvenience, sir and madam. Why don't we sort this out calmly?" He was aware of the tension between them and tried to bring down the fight.

"What the fuck did you call me?" The stranger asked in a dangerously low voice.

Don't say anything more, Priya. But, her mouth has a mind of its own.

"You are too keen to be called by your name, huh? Then listen. Jerk, Jackass. Now," She took his hand and put the money back in his, "...shove this money up your ass and get the damage to your car done. It's my payback to you. Goodbye," she snapped and turned away.

The valets were watching with their jaws wide open. As she moved towards her car, Tarun came towards her staring at her admiringly. "Didi! You dropped your debit card down. I'm sorry because of me..." he said, as he handed her an ATM card.

"Not your fault, Tarun," she gave an assuring smile, "And... Thank you for the card. Bye."

Without looking back, she put her car in motion. It started with an annoying sound. Involuntarily, her eyes moved to the rear-view mirror. She found the man looking her way, in the same place, seemingly stunned and furious.

As she calmed down, she felt a strange familiarity about him. Then, wished she would never meet the arrogant jerk. Ever.

∞∞∞

A/N:

Hi guys!

You might have already guessed who this handsome arrogant jerk in Priya view is. Haha... he finally made his entry.

What is going to happen next?

Stay tuned.

Oh wait! I don't see you writing your review here :/ I am waiting, dear ;P

Yours,

Revathi.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 71.5K 70
It's time to fall for cocky, charming, and handsome Billionaire! Or is it? Anyways, life gives you what you never expected out of it in the mess wher...
2.7K 243 10
"๐“๐ก๐ž ๐๐ข๐ ๐ก๐ญ๐ฆ๐š๐ซ๐ž๐ฌ ๐‹๐ž๐ ๐š๐œ๐ฒ" ๐’๐ž๐ซ๐ข๐ž๐ฌ : #๐Ÿ. "๐˜๐จ๐ฎ ๐š๐ซ๐ž ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ๐ฒ ๐š๐ข๐ซ ๐ˆ ๐›๐ซ๐ž๐š๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐€๐ข๐ฌ๐ก๐ฐ๐š๐ซ๐ฒ๐š,๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐š๐ซ...
27.9K 3.2K 23
Ever thought Being forced on a blind date by your own best friend!! Disastrous ,isn't it? She wanted an ordinary life but her husband was everything...
46.1K 2K 58
Childhood crush.. ? The tingling sensation , the rushed heartbeats... it was such a lovely feeling and that's what Aadhya had for Abhay the brother o...