Romanowski and Rosemary

By KaiseyEliysian

SEQUEL to Rendezvous in the Romanowskian Empire. *Can't be read as a Standalone* "What the hell is Coretta H... More

Romanowski and Rosemary
1. Welcome back
2. The wretched writer
3. King of Cyprus
4. Fading essence
5. Fameophobia
6. The Priestess & the King
7. 21st century spies
8. Warrior Dastan Ahmad
10. Persephone in Hades
11. Prophetic dreams
12. Blind slave
13. Medisa and Althea
14. Discarded Jewels
15. The eye sellers
16. Hades of Earth
17. Mark of the damned
18. Sins of Remun Ra
19. Revenge of Chryseis
20. Dunkin' Donuts
21. Divine interpretation
22. Slave market
23. Althea Rosemary is it?
24. Dear mother
25. Frail childhood
26. A letter apart
27. Spring in Olympia

9. Plight of Aphrodite's favourite

2.2K 108 188
By KaiseyEliysian

Coretta 

The last ounce of Julian's memory was taken from me today.

The Sun had barely come up, the weather a bit chilly to my skin as we priestesses sat huddled in a horse-driven cart.

I looked out the window, and above. Haze all over. Even the birds hadn't risen.

Last night, all the new priestesses were ordered to submit any type of jewellery they had to the temple authorities as a priestess was a holy entity. She must not associate herself with the materialistic world, but live a simple life and dedicate herself to the devotion of God. I was alright with it, getting to experience something new and peaceful.

But that meant giving away the only jewelled necklace that Julian gave me.

I'd left all the other ornaments back in my room in the palace because there was no point taking something that wouldn't stay with me. The senior priestesses were shocked at my possession, eying me with baffled eyes.

My head was bowed, and I'd simply gone with Aarmen's theory that my mom was a healer before her death and she received the necklace from the Queen there.

"You could've hidden the necklace somewhere, Chryseis!" Miria whisper-shouted to me, her mysterious coloured eyes sad. She deciphered my gloomy expression for what happened last night.

"No, Mir." I sighed. "You never know what punishment I could've got if they checked my room and found it." It made me remember the punishment meted out to the Vestal Virgins of the Roman empire religion.

They were locked in a small underground room with some food and a bed to sleep in and permanently sealed the room until the priestess was dead. For me, hanging to death seemed better than what they went through.

The carriage rocked continuously, not even letting me take a nap. We were currently headed to the training temple that the senior priests had told us about a month ago.

Earlier this week, we had representatives from that temple visit us and explain various things. I loved everything, how they connected Gods to humans and how the Gods are very giving and kind instead of their wrathful nature that's depicted to us in local stories.

Nevertheless, Dunkin was still an overprotective father, taking care of my black dyed hair and supplying me with black eye contact. He gave me some to keep right now as well.

Not to forget about all the self-defence techniques he made me iterate. Reminding me of some that I had forgotten. I wonder if he was my dad in the previous birth...

He returned last night, very tired and sleepy, but he claimed he had my book. I was beyond surprised and... conflicted. Whether to congratulate my teammates for completing such a risky job or... be depressed about Julian's oncoming anguish.

A lump formed in my throat. What would he think when... he'd know that his... his royal book was stolen the second time?

I held my knees closer to my chest, burying my face as heat enveloped my eyes. I wanted to scream and cry, to forget him, but couldn't. His grief-stricken face was repeating in my head.

Thinking of any man that's not your husband is the biggest sin of a priestess...

Violently, I shook my head, in the process, banging my head against the carriage's wooden mast as it jerked over an obstacle. A dull pain seeped into the side of my head.

"Thank you... for the punishment of my sin..." I mumbled to myself, taking in a long breath, finding solace in the soft pain.

'Ahh.' Dunkin yawned in my head. 'Bestie, you good?'

'Kind of.'

'WHAT? Did they do something? Did they-'

'Go to sleep, DunDun, it's too early for you to wake up, after yesterday's mission.'

'Hmm, I'm sleeping rn, CorCor. But Julian's negative report on Rohypnol isn't leaving my head.'

'Maybe he's a rare case of genetic mutation of this century?'

'Huh, a mutation that gives you twice the strength from a sleep-inducing drug?' He asked, incredulous. 'Have never heard anything of that sort.'

I let out a heavy sigh. It was beyond me, how that powerful drug didn't affect Julian.

'Maybe the royalty takes a medicinal drug of their own type that makes them so resilient?'

'Hmm, I have no idea if plant or animal-based drugs are stronger than the 21st century, chemically refined ones...'

We talked for a while, coming to no conclusion. The more I thought, my head hurt. Partially because of the hit I'd just received.

'Did you burn my book?' I asked.

'Not yet.'

'Why?'

'There's some hella interesting thing you wrote. Would read a bit, then burn it. Promise.'

The hazy skies gave way to soothing sunshine as we reached the temple. The way they had constructed it was beyond beautiful, with water waves from the harbour nearby making it even more serene.

Both Greek and Egyptian architecture were used to build it as I noticed some key differences. The abode of the new religion - syncretism.

The carriage stopped at one exit of the marvellous temple, its entrance crowded. People were hailing Alexander for coming up with such a great religious concept.

Fragrance of fruits and flowers that I'd never known before engulfed the area as we entered the vast temple. Amongst the variety of offerings and decorations were the mysterious deities I'd never seen.

"This is God Hermanubis." The priestess there, who was a very cheerful woman, guided us. "He is derived from the Greek God Hermes and Egyptian God Anubis. This is the speciality of our syncretic religion." She smiled. "He is an important God of the afterlife and guides souls..." she continued her explanation as I looked at the deity. The head of a jackal - God Anubis and the body of God Hermes. Interesting.

Lots of flowers and scented wood were used to embellish the area. Everything looked so peaceful that a smile came over my lips.

I wonder if Julian had visited this temple...

As soon as that thought came, I became aware of the pain in my head and continued to follow the priestesses around.

Separated from the area meant for the public's worship, they led us to another hall of this giant temple, which appeared to be quieter. Priestesses from other temples had also congregated here.

"I request the priestesses of Hathor and priestesses of Athena to assemble aside." The head priestess announced as women began to shuffle. I kept myself close to my group, as we were the priestesses of Aphrodite.

The selected group were assigned some tasks as we watched in glee. Everyone was whispering excitedly, delighted to be here.

"You saw God, Serapis?" Miria asked me, mesmerised. "He looks so much like God Zeus."

"Yes," I smiled, "But Serapis is actually a combination of the Egyptian Gods Osiris, Apis and Greek ones, Zeus and Helios."

"I like the atmosphere here." Priestess Zina from our group beamed. "I love how gods here are not worshipped with strict codes and adherence, but with love. It brings so much peace to my heart." She sighed. Everyone could relate to her words.

"Every group of priestesses is said to represent the Goddess they dedicate themselves to." The head priestess approached our group with a gentle smile. "And no wonder you all are the priestesses of Aphrodite. Delicate grace, charm and beauty like the goddess herself. May her blessings always remain with you." We bowed at her remarks.

She guided us to another room, which was small but elegant. Cream-coloured walls with cool marble floors underneath our feet felt comforting. At one corner were placed certain offering utensils and before a large screened window was the deity of Aphrodite. She was sculpted to perfection.

"This is a syncretic temple, so it must be confusing to you why we have Aphrodite's deity here." The priestess smiled.

"During this temple's construction, frequent floods from the harbour nearby always dismantled the temple's foundation," she exclaimed grimly. "Making it impossible to even start with its base construction.

"But soon enough, we learnt Aphrodite had influence over the seas, as she's believed to be born from the sea itself."

She turned to us as we sat with the utmost respect at the feet of the Goddess of beauty. "So we established her deity here, and since then, the seas haven't troubled us." She told us merrily.

"It is interesting how many gods can be calmed with the influence of goddesses." A priestess from our group said and everyone started singing praises of Aphrodite.

All of this is apparently a myth yet it seems so real in this world. I bit my lip as I sat kneeling. Never had I thought that one day I'd be working for the Goddess's blessings. The way these Gods were making their presence known didn't appear to be mere coincidence.

The head priestess continued. "But, we've heard of many instances where Aphrodite punished those who neglected her worship or despised her power," her face etched in worry. "For there have been people wanting to dismantle her deity from this syncretic temple, which led to their mysterious demise."

We were listening in curiosity when an older priest entered. He did a quick scan of the room and exited without a word.

He had a weird face, wearing a pale yellow robe. In the quick second, I noticed a scar running down his chin, to the length of his neck.

The priestess clapped to have our attention back. "Owing to the rumours of disbelief in Aphrodite's powers, the previous priestesses here didn't worship her heartily, and as a result, all of them had a terrible end..." she sighed.
"One calm spring night, an appalling wave from the seas came, destroying a major part of the temple." She confessed. "The priestess's bodies were found floating by the shore the next morning."

Oh Aphrodite, please, please, become the cause of my death here if you can really kill off people. I closed my eyes to send her a prayer. From deep within my heart. Some myths became believable when one had firsthand contact with them. Which included my experience with this goddess.

And please show mercy on him too, who claims to be your favourite devotee...

"We worship Aphrodite as our mother. And a mother is never harsh toward her daughters." Priestess Zina added cheerfully. "All of us will make sure that our Goddess will receive the most magnificent service from us."

"You are right, dear," the head agreed. "Aphrodite favoured and protected those who paid homage to her and recognised her power." But then she lowered her head in concern as she glanced at the door, then back at us.

"I know that all of you hail from Alexandria and nearby kingdoms." She bit her lip in apprehension. "But make sure... not to discuss this with anyone here."

* * *

We were dressed in simple but elegant robes after a quick bath to freshen up. All of it felt strangely relaxing, doing simple things like preparing the offerings and decorating the Goddess of beauty.

They had given us a special fabric for dressing Aphrodite. So soft and fragrant, as if it was some divine piece of cloth. They told us how the fabric had been dyed with the colours and fragrance of the Goddess' favourite flowers.

Doing all these little things was joy, and I felt more tranquil each day.

"Do you know the dove is Aphrodite's favourite bird?"

The Sun was warm over us as we fed the doves on the temple's roof. They had unexpectedly flown towards us when we sang a hymn used to beckon them.

Guess they really understood the hymn.

"Yes, the dove is Aphrodite's favourite bird." Priestess Eula smiled. "See. The way they flew to us, even though we hadn't distributed the grains beforehand, is proof."

A brilliant white dove with red-rimmed eyes flew to my hand and eagerly began munching away on the grains. I giggled, bringing one finger to gently rub over its smooth head. It didn't even flinch.

This little dove told me she was your war prize.

A little dove was allowed to fly around in my palace...

My heartbeat unexpectedly soared as suddenly, I remembered the small name Julian and his mother had given me.

Little dove.

Aphrodite's favourite bird...

A soft breeze continued to flow by, and so did Miria's questions. "Yes, but then the festival of Aphrodisia always sows seeds of doubt in my head." She frowned. "On that day, why is dove's blood used to purify Aphrodite's temple?"

"Miria, those doves are no ordinary birds but are believed to be great souls, who, looking for their salvation at last, sacrifice themselves to Aphrodite. To be at her service at Mount Olympus," Zina enlightened.
"They find it their honour to be served for Aphrodite. That's why you'll never see the priests roaming around to capture doves for their blood. A flock of them always comes on their own accord, at the temple's courtyard."

I winced when the dove began tapping its beak on my bare hand as it finished all the grains. Slowly, I grabbed some more, and it resumed eating.

How barbaric it must be to use the blood of this innocent creature to purify something...

And suddenly, I found the phrase little dove very disturbing.

Somehow I related to the plight of the doves as I sat solemnly, watching them eat. They sacrificed themselves to be with their goddess. I sacrificed my strongest emotion to... be with my ethics of a time traveller...

As evening approached, some of us went back to procure the offerings from Aphrodite's feet. Now ready to be distributed to the devotees.

I went into one of the spare rooms to fetch some clay. It was beyond amazing how the position of a scribe writer was available in this temple. Every group of priestesses had a scribe, who was a person copying down religious texts. I couldn't be happier when that post was handed to me.

Quickly, I removed my contacts to let my eyes breathe. I huffed, blinking and waving my hands a little to aerate my poor eyes. This wasn't something I was used to, and it had me wondering why Dunkin was so hellbent to shield my eye colour.

It wasn't like there weren't blue-eyed priestesses here.

In fact, there were many with striking eye colours. Some of the prettiest and most unique shades I'd ever seen. No one would even notice mine in this crowd.

"DunDunDunDunDunnn!" I called him out. Dramatically.

"YesYesYesYesYesss!" He called back.

"I can't with these contacts! Ugh, you know what? There are more priestesses with pretty eye colours!"

"Maybe they're all on their way to be sacrificed in no time...?"

"Yes, of course. I've totally heard about 100 priestesses being sacrificed together." My face turned sour as I grabbed my writing equipment.

He sighed aloud. "Cors listen. Red-haired women were sacrificed without a second thought. You can only imagine what's gonna happen with women of unnatural eye colour. I've read scriptures here which haven't been found by the mod world and there are a shit ton of rituals to kill a woman. You even look different in the slightest way and Voila! A pit of fire welcomes you."

I gave my eyeballs a little massage as he continued speaking.

"So please put that contact back on. I promise I'll give you a grand party in our world to successfully avoid any weird rituals here. Also, I know about this salon which gave eye spa and then you can relax an entire day-"

I pressed a finger to my mouth to avoid a chuckle. Dunkin was so cute and caring sometimes that my heart ached with happiness.

His future girl would be lucky.

"Okay, boss, there. I put it back." I sighed. "And yes, I won't forget about that eye spa, I want one-"

"Who are you talking to, woman?" A heavy voice, hardened with rage, came from behind me, booming in the small room.

My heart jumped, and I slowly turned around to see a man. He looked anything but a priest even in the temple attire. Eyes hard set on me with an unknown look on his face.

His face. It looked strangely similar... to someone I'd seen before? Someone whose name I'd forgotten. Some mistress... I guess.

I lowered my gaze. "To myself." I bowed further. "A hymn to appease Aphrodite."

"That didn't sound Greek to me." He implored further. As if testing my nervousness because he couldn't have listened, given I was just whispering.

"It was Mycenaean Greek," I mustered in the softest, most obedient voice possible. Mycenaean Greek was quite an ancient dialect compared to what he spoke. So the obvious silence clarified that he believed what I said.

In my line of sight, I could notice his hands turning to fists, like he was controlling himself.

"You come from Romanos." The way he said Romanos, so much hatred that a chill ran down my spine. He didn't even ask, outright saying that I came from there.

There was no way he knew, cause Dunkin told the temple authorities that his bride was from the borders of Alexandria.

I know that all of you hail from Alexandria and nearby kingdoms. But make sure... not to discuss this with anyone here.

"Memphis." I lied about my location, my heart ringing in my ears. Something seemed very wrong here.

I felt like he was about to enter the room, but instead, he sauntered out. Placing a hand over my heart, I looked blankly at the spot he'd been standing before. It was like nothing happened moments ago.

With some clay rolls and bamboo pens, I walked out into the hall where the scribe was asked to settle. Another priestess from a different group sat beside me as she taught me to mould the clay into tablets, and then etch the hieroglyphics onto them. It was interesting to use something else to write, other than a papyrus sheet.

Focused so deep on the work, I didn't realise that night had already fallen. The temple became quieter than before. Quickly finishing the work, another priest came to collect all the clay tablets, which would be dried and hardened tomorrow in the Sun.

I ambled back to Aphrodite's room, watching my group arranging everything. Removing the dead flowers and ash from the holy fire stand.

We were done singing one last hymn for the goddess when a messenger informed us about the dinner. It was to be held in a large hall, ready with simple but scrumptious food for the servants of gods.

"Word has been going around that some priestesses have been selected to serve the higher gods," Miria whispered, her peculiar eyes shining in mirth. "I'm the selected one as well!"

The path to the dining started with a narrow flight of rocky stairs downward. Savoury aroma of food drifted in the area, making us hungrier than we were. It appeared that the dining hall was situated underground.

"Oh, so what work are you all supposed to do?" I asked. Priestess Zina, on the other hand, had an irritated expression on her face.

"Like the syncretic gods we saw in the temple are all related to the afterlife." She informed. "We will serve the heavenly Gods, whose prime work is to govern nature's working."

"I don't get how they selected Miria," I heard Zina snort. "She barely knows the ethics of a priestess and they appointed her for such a crucial work." Miria quietly lowered her head, walking silently beside me. I sighed.

Women might not have enough rights in this world, but a priestess at a higher position was much respected and wealthy. Even men bowed before them, which was a reason Zina was so furious for Miria's fortune.

The narrow passage gave way to a small round area where priest-like men stood holding a fire torch, their faces disturbingly scarred under the yellow light of the fire.

"They say, while performing animal sacrifices, the offerings had attacked them because of improper handling." Some priestesses whispered. I gulped.

Behind them was a well-lit room, and the food's aroma became stronger. I could figure out something like a banquet system inside.

Some names were called out, who were to hold the new position, as Miria and some more priestesses from another group shifted to the other side of the area.

"The priestesses of the Eye of Ra have been specified!" The priest announced. "Rest can move to the dining room!"

My heart dropped at eye.

I looked once more at the selected priestesses but in the dark, couldn't really distinguish their eye colour.

Were they on their way to be sacrificed, as Dunkin said?

"Syncretism involves the worship of both Egyptian and Greek Gods." Another senior priestess explained with a gentle voice. "So we will also make offerings to the all-seeing servant of Goddess Hera, Argus Panoptes, as well."

My heart stabilised a bit when I did a quick fact check. Eye of Ra was the feminine counterpart of the Egyptian Sun God, Ra. Though depicted as the Sun's disk, she was so powerful in defeating the Sun's enemies that they worshipped her individually.

Maybe that's why they appointed a sect of priestesses to her alone.

And Argus Panoptes. He was a Greek giant with a hundred eyes over his body, which made him an excellent watchman for Hera, who never fell asleep. This religion was trying to tie common knots between both beliefs.

"Are they even serious enough to appoint these scared women as priestesses for the Eye of Ra?" Zina laughed humorlessly. "The Goddess is so powerful. She needs confident women as her priestess." She tattled. More women agreed with her words.

"Before the dinner begins, we'd request the priestesses from Romanos to form a separate group." One of the priests announced, and the dark arena, only lit by fire torches, grew unbelievably silent.

It was as if my heartbeat was making all the noise because not a soul breathed. Like Romanos was some cursed, forbidden land.

I couldn't figure out the apparent dislike for Julian's kingdom. Maybe he wasn't in favour of this syncretic religion...

"Priestesses from Alexandria and nearby kingdoms may step out."

Our group stayed stiff in their position, remembering the priestess's words earlier. Some women from other groups walked out.

Priestess Eula from our group was visibly shaking. "W- What is going on? I don't get a good feeling about this." she hiccuped.

Another priestess shook her head, not at all bothered. "Alexandrian priestesses are famous for their dedicated service to the Gods. And the fact that they are well acquainted with Hellenistic religion only increases the workload on them in these foreign lands." She tched. "Our head priestess back there only looked out for our favour because she probably knew about the temple's priestess selection."

"Right," Priestess Zina nodded, now watching sullenly as Miria's group was sent somewhere. "That head priestess wouldn't want to lose an excellent group of priestesses for Aphrodite."

My stomach grumbled with the continuing onslaught of aromatic food. I'd thought they would finally let us eat when a final selection of priestesses was announced.

This time, that anything-but-a-priest man came forward with a fire torch and my breath hitched. The one who'd interrogated me earlier. If Cheryl were here, she'd definitely called him hot, but I couldn't.

Given that he looked like he was out for revenge.

"The cult of the Eye of Ra has a shortage of priestesses." He said in that same hard voice of his, as some women shrank at his tone.

"Hence, it has been decided to appoint priestesses who come from the most important religious cult centre of Egypt!"

Oh no.

The mockery in his words robbed me of my breath when I realised which kingdom was Egypt's major religious cult centre.

"Priestesses from Memphis may step out." He announced with a smirk only I could decipher.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 69.2K 29
After a disastrous first season in London, Rose Wilde finds herself torn between two men who love her -- but who both hide secrets that could ruin he...