Purple Rain.

By madd_libbs

In which the healing process becomes a lot more difficult than (Y/n) (Y/l/n) would have expected. Book Four o... More

Info.
Year Six - The Order of the Phoenix
Chapter One.
Chapter Two.
Chapter Three.
Chapter Four.
Chapter Five.
Chapter Six.
Chapter Seven.
Chapter Eight.
Chapter Nine.
Chapter Ten.
Chapter Eleven.
Chapter Twelve.
Chapter Thirteen.
Chapter Fourteen.
Chapter Fifteen.
Chapter Sixteen.
Chapter Seventeen.
Chapter Eighteen.
Chapter Nineteen.
Chapter Twenty.
Chapter Twenty-One.
Chapter Twenty-Two.
Chapter Twenty-Three.
Chapter Twenty-Four.
Chapter Twenty-Five.
Chapter Twenty-Six.
Chapter Twenty-Seven.
Chapter Twenty-Eight.
Chapter Thirty.
Chapter Thirty-One.
Chapter Thirty-Two.
Chapter Thirty-Three.
Chapter Thirty-Four.
Chapter Thirty-Five.
Chapter Thirty-Six.
Chapter Thirty-Seven.
Chapter Thirty-Eight.
Chapter Thirty-Nine.
Chapter Forty.
Chapter Forty-One.
Chapter Forty-Two.
Chapter Forty-Three.
Chapter Forty-Four.
Chapter Forty-Five.
Chapter Forty-Six.
Chapter Forty-Seven.
Chapter Forty-Eight.
Chapter Forty-Nine.
Chapter Fifty.
Chapter Fifty-One.
Chapter Fifty-Two.
Chapter Fifty-Three.
Chapter Fifty-Four.
Chapter Fifty-Five.
Chapter Fifty-Six.
Chapter Fifty-Seven.
Chapter Fifty-Eight.
Chapter Fifty-Nine.
Chapter Sixty.
Chapter Sixty-One.
Chapter Sixty-Two.
Chapter Sixty-Three.
Chapter Sixty-Four.
Chapter Sixty-Five.
Chapter Sixty-Six.
Chapter Sixty-Seven.
Chapter Sixty-Eight.
Chapter Sixty-Nine.
Chapter Seventy.
Chapter Seventy-One.
Chapter Seventy-Two.
Chapter Seventy-Three.
Fin and Book Five.

Chapter Twenty-Nine.

398 31 1
By madd_libbs

The moment (Y/n) got her mail, she flipped through it, ignoring her subscription boxes and the letters addressed to her in favour of searching for her Daily Prophet. The instant she found it, she scanned the headline, expecting to need to comb through the article to find what Percy had mentioned in his letter. The departing delivery owls had barely cleared when she let out a loud gasp upon potting the large photograph on the front page. Dolores Umbridge smiled widely and blinked slowly. 

"What?" Cho asked, taking a drink of her orange juice. Her copy of the Daily Prophet lay untouched beside her plate.

"Get this!" (Y/n) exclaimed to Cho, Marietta, and Padma. "'Ministry Seeks Educational Reform, Dolores Umbridge Appointed First-Ever High-Inquisitor,'" she read. Padma immediately stopped chewing before quickly chewing and swallowing.

"What's that?"

"In a surprise move last night, the Ministry of Magic passed new legislation giving itself an unprecedented level of control at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry—"

"They can't do that!" Cho interrupted. Marietta shushed her abruptly.

"'The Minister has been growing uneasy about goings-on at Hogwarts for some time,' said Junior Assitant to the Minister, Percy Weasley. 'He is now responding in concerns voice by anxious parents, who feel the school may be moving in a direction they do not approve.'
"This is not the first time in recent weeks Fudge has used new laws to effect improvements at the Wizarding school. As recently as August 30th, Educational Decree Twenty-two was passed, to ensure that, in the event of the current headmaster being unable to provide a candidate for a teaching post, the Ministry should select an appropriate person.
"'That's how Dolores Umbridge came to be appointed to the teaching staff at Hogwarts,' said Weasley last night. 'Dumbledore couldn't find anyone, so the Minister put in Umbridge and of course, she's been an immediate success'
—"

"She's been a WHAT?"

"She has not!" Padma angrily protested.

"—'an immediate success, totally revolutionizing the teaching of Defense Against the Dark Arts and providing the Minister with on-the-ground feedback about what's really happening at Hogwarts.'
"It is this last function that the Ministry has now formalized with the passing of Educational Decree Twenty-three, which creates the new position of 'Hogwarts High Inquisitor.'
"'This is an exciting new phase in the Minister's plan to get to grips with what some are calling the "falling standards" at Hogwarts,' said Weasley. 'The Inquisitor will have powers to inspect her fellow educators and make sure that they are coming up to scratch. Professor Umbridge has been offered this position in addition to her own teaching post, and we are delighted to say that she has accepted.'
"The Ministry's new moves have received enthusiastic support from parents of students at Hogwarts.
"'I feel much easier in my mind now that I know that Dumbledore is being subjected to fair and objective evaluation,' said Mr. Lucius Malfoy, 41, speaking from his Wiltshire mansion last night. 'Many of us with our children's best interests at heart have been concerned about some of Dumbledore's eccentric decisions in the last few years and will be glad to know that the Ministry is keeping an eye on the situation.'
"Among the 'eccentric decisions' are undoubtedly the controversial staff appointed previously described in this newspaper, which have included the hiring of werewolf Remus Lupin, half-giant Rubeus Hagrid, and delusional ex-Auror 'Mad-Eye' Moody.
"Rumours abound, of course, that Albus Dumbledore, once Supreme Mugwump of the International Confederation of Wizards and Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot, is no longer up to the task of managing the prestigious school of Hogwarts.

"'I think the appointment of the Inquisitor is a first step toward ensuring that Hogwarts has a headmaster in whom we can all repose confidence,' said a Ministry insider last night.
"Wizengamot elders Griselda Marchbanks and Tiberius Ogden have resigned in protest at the introduction of the post of Inquisitor to Hogwarts.
"'Hogwarts is a school, not an outpost of Cornelius Fudge's office,' said Madam Marchbanks. 'This is a further disgusting attempt to discredit Albus Dumbledore.' (For a full account of Madam Marchbanks' alleged links to subversive goblin groups, turn to page 17).
"

"Talk about a biased report," Marietta scoffed.

"But now we know how we ended up with Umbridge," Cho frowned. "Why couldn't Dumbledore just bring someone else back? Like Bill! Or Olivia!"

"Who?" Padma asked.

"Bill Weasley taught an extracurricular course for Defense Against the Dark Arts," Marietta explained.

"Weasley as in those Weasleys?" Padma asked, nodding her head at the Gryffindor table. Cho, Marietta, and (Y/n) nodded.

"And Olivia was our actual professor a year before you came to Hogwarts," (Y/n) added. Padma nodded.

"Must've been cool teachers if you're allowed to call them by their first names," Padma said.

"They were!" Cho beamed. "You probably saw Bill as part of Harry's party for the third task—" She side-eyed (Y/n), who sent her an annoyed look but she stayed silent nonetheless.

(Y/n)'s already sour mood increased ten-fold the moment Harry came jogging to match her pace and join her for detention.

"What'd you do?" (Y/n) asked snappishly.

"I thought you didn't want to be alone for detention?" Harry said, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes... But I don't want you getting punished either," (Y/n) stated. "What'd you do?" she asked again.

"Just talking, I guess," Harry said.

"Harry—" (Y/n) said warningly.

"Well, Umbridge said that Quirrell was the only qualified Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher we had," Hary said. "And I said that his minor drawback was that he had Voldemort on the back of his head." (Y/n) turned her head to recollect herself and stay serious.

"All right. That's reasonable," (Y/n) said forgivingly.

"Did Umbridge monitor any of your classes today?" Harry asked.

"No," (Y/n) said. "You?"

"Trelawney," Harry answered.

"How'd that go?" (Y/n) asked nervously. Harry knew (Y/n) was quite fond of Professor Trelawney and opted to choose his next words carefully.

"I'm not her biggest fan," said Harry, "but if she's sacked, Umbridge gets to choose the new Divination professor and—"

"And is she at risk of getting sacked?" (Y/n) pressed. Harry averted her eyes.

"I'm sure she'll be fine," Harry said nervously. "I mean, Umbridge definitely doubts whether or not she's a Seer, but... who knows?"

"Can't it be Snape that's sacked? Please let it be Snape," (Y/n) practically whined. "Penny would be a great Potions Master, don't you think?"

"Better than Snape," Harry mumbled. (Y/n) nodded rapidly.

By the end of detention, the once healing cuts on the back of Harry's and (Y/n)'s hands were open again. After walking Harry to the Gryffindor tower, (Y/n) ran back in the direction she came from, down the stairs to the Entrance hall, and out the front doors, making for the abandoned gardens.
As (Y/n) got closer, she slipped off her speciality ring and slipped it onto the statue of the weeping woman that would grant her access into the Strange Women Society's secret underground base. She impatiently awaited access and the moment the entrance to the spiral stairs opened, she ran down them, not waiting for the opening to fully finish turning. She was dizzy by the time she reached the bottom of the stairs and peered up at the starry opening to make sure the entrance closed again before knocking rhythmically on the rock wall and thus revealing the final secret door. Before (Y/n) had the chance to open the door, she flew backwards and up a few steps the moment it was swung open.

"About time!" Angelina exclaimed. "Imagine that, the president late to the meeting she specifically scheduled over our summer break!" There was laughter inside and (Y/n) cracked a grin.

"I didn't expect to get detention," (Y/n) said, walking back down the stairs and following Angelina inside. "I wanted to discuss your guys' positions because we didn't have any meetings about it last year... Leanne's already the secretary and Angelina's Number Two." 
As the seventh year in the group, Angelina was made Number Two due to said position being able to prioritise school duties over the society.
(Y/n) pursed her lips, looking between Hermione and Cho with great conflict. Did she want Hermione in charge of taking notes for the meetings or did she want Cho to do so? Both girls could easily fit into Number Three— who was the most successful member of the previous year— and the Penning Master— who took notes of the meetings. Hermione took better notes than Cho, but Cho was a senior to Hermione— even if both girls were Aces last year.

"Penning Master?" Leanne guessed at the sight of (Y/n)'s conflict.

"Yeah," (Y/n) confirmed in a whisper. "Hermione takes good notes, but she's a fifth-year and could easily fit into Number Three."

"Why not have Cho as the Penning Master this year and have her take Number Two next year?" Leanne suggested. "And then Hermione's moved up to Penning Master."

"I think I'll do that," (Y/n) nodded. "All right, Cho, I'm placing you in the Penning Master position." Cho held up an 'okay' sign and went to get the magically enchanted journal, which was made to never run out of parchment and to store all past notes, that she had memorized the location of. "And Hermione, you'll be Number Three." Hermione nodded rapidly. "I want... Daphne in Number Four because you're good with dates and schedules... Parvati, you'll be Number Five and Susan, you'll be Number Six."
(Y/n) always admired Parvati's ideas, hence why she would be taking the position of the 'creative mind.' (Y/n) knew Susan Bones was quite skilled with money due to her aunt's position, so who better to leave the society's budget in the hands of?
"Um... I thought you were all great last year and I don't think anyone has needed a second chance yet," (Y/n) admitted.

"I'll be Number Seven," Pansy Parkinson shrugged.

"Are you sure?"

"Why not? You said nobody here is in need of a second chance," Pansy said.

"Hm... We can have Number Seven temporarily be..." (Y/n) trailed off in thought.

"She can send out meeting times," Daphne Greengrass suggested. "Pansy's pretty good with codes."

"That'll work," (Y/n) agreed. "Padma, you can be Number Eight." Padma feigned bashfulness.

"You think I'm skilled?" Padma asked, giggling and brushing her hand through her hair. Parvati smirked and nudged her twin. (Y/n) was at quite the loss for the last two positions.

"Well, which of you needs a good year?" (Y/n) asked. "Who shall we be manifesting—"

"You," Lavender Brown blurted before she could stop herself. Her hand flew over her mouth and all the breathing in the room came to a halt. "I-I'll be Number Ten and turn all of my manifestations in your direction!" Lavender exclaimed with fake confidence. (Y/n) forced a believable grin.

"Thanks, Lav," (Y/n) said. "Then that leaves Hannah as Number Nine?"

"Loyalty for the Hufflepuff," Parvati teased. Hannah Abbott snorted.

"All right, positions are down," (Y/n) said. "Now we need to discuss keeping a lookout for this year's Aces. We have room for four more Aces but only one of them will be able to take up a number next year."

"I've already got my potential Ace in mind," Angelina said. There were a couple other nods.

"I'd like some time to... watch, I guess," Hermione said. "Fourth year and up, right?" (Y/n) nodded in confirmation. "Okay," Hermione mumbled.

"So... You guys will have some time to scout, say... two weeks, how's that?" (Y/n) suggested.

"I really doubt I'll have anything going on then," Pansy said.

"And I'll just... not schedule any practice that day," Angelina said. "I hope we'll be able to meet earlier next time?" she said, sending a glance at (Y/n).

"We'll see," (Y/n) smiled.

(Y/n) was deeply amused by the sight of Angelina chewing Harry a new one for getting detention the previous night. She casually strode up and clasped her hands behind her back, staring between Harry and Angelina.

"Is there a problem?" (Y/n) asked innocently.

"HARRY missed practice yesterday," Angelina fumed, giving Harry a very brief moment of not getting yelled at. When Angelina started shouting again, Harry looked at (Y/n) as though expecting her to use her prefect power but (Y/n) only looked down at her nails.

"Miss Johnson, how dare you make such a racket in the Great Hall! Five points from Gryffindor!" Professor McGonagall exclaimed.

"But Professor— he's gone and landed himself in detention again—"

"What's this, Potter?" said Professor McGonagall sharply, rounding on Harry. "Detention? From who?"

"From Professor Umbridge," muttered Harry, refusing to meet Professor McGonagall's beady, square-framed eyes.

"Are you telling me," Professor McGonagall said, lowering her voice so that the group of curious Ravenclaws behind them could not hear, "that after the warning I gave you last Monday you lost your temper in Professor Umbridge's class again?"

"Yes," Harry muttered, speaking to the floor.

"Potter, you must get a grip on yourself! You are heading for serious trouble! Another five points from Gryffindor!"

"But— what? Professor, no!" Harry said, furious at this injustice. "I'm already being punished by her, why do you have to take points as well?"

"Because detentions do not appear to have any effect on you whatsoever!" said Professor McGonagall tartly. "No, not another word of complaint, Potter! And as for you, Miss Johnson, you will confine your shouting matches to the Quidditch pitch in future or risk losing the team Captaincy!" She then turned to (Y/n), calming down immensely yet staring sternly down at her. (Y/n) still cowered back. "And you, (Y/n), are a prefect! I should not have to come down from the staff table to intervene when you are right here!"

"Sorry," (Y/n) mumbled, looking down with shame.

"Don't let it happen again," Professor McGonagall said. "Practically all of the staff here gave a good word on your half for a reason." Confusion crossed (Y/n)'s face. "Don't play dumb." Professor McGonagall turned and strode back to the staff table.

"What reason?" (Y/n) asked. Angelina merely gave Harry a look of great disgust before stalking to the Gryffindor table. "Not a single person I know ever listens to a word I say."

"I do," Harry said.

"Yeah? What was it that I found on Sunday?"

"Huh? Did you find something? A... Divination book?"

(Y/n) shook her head, bemused.

"What? What did I do?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.1K 866 30
(Best rankings: #2 in HERMIONEGRANGER, #4 in COMFORT, #11 in DRAMIONE, #11 in SNILY, #130 in SEVERUSSNAPE, and #150 in HURT) It's sixth year, and He...
8.4K 64 25
We will be writing different situations with the characters of Harry Potter **I do not own any other the characters in here. These are all characters...
1.1M 33.5K 24
At a meeting with the DA, all is going well until Ron accidentally hits Harry with a charm that brings his worst nightmare to life. WARNING: Mention...