Oil & Water

Jokers_Kitten által

Sequel to Wood and Ice. What happens to Rochelle now when she actually meets Tyler Seguin? Will she be able t... Több

Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
chapter 6
chapter 7
chapter 8
chapter 9
chapter 10
chapter 11
chapter 12

Chapter 2

41 3 1
Jokers_Kitten által

Rochelle

It's been busy for sure in just this week. Lots of open bowlers coming in, even when it's raining, which is a bit unusual. But I not going to complain.

"Thank you all for showing up today. I know I don't normally do this but I have some important things that need to be discussed with everyone. "

"Are we closing?" Karen calls out.

"No we are not. In fact with the course of the next two months we are going to be real busy. This announcement that I going to make is going live tomorrow night. So that is why I telling you here today."

"Are we getting taken over?" Jimmy asks.

"No, Jimmy. So announcement number one is that the WPBA Senior ladies will be doing one of their tournaments here next month. I know some of you saw me talking to some 'suits' last week and this is part of it. From there, we have been asked to hold a charity event here from the commissioner of the NHL. Which means we are bringing hockey players here and we are mixing in the pro bowlers with them. And the last event is the PBA King of the Lanes event will be hosted the following month after the charity event. "

"So we are going to be slammed for the next 2 months?"

"Yes Mike. So whatever equipment that you think could go bad let's get it replaced before next month. I don't care if that means a new oil machine to new vacuum cleaners. We are going to make this place spotless. And don't think for one minute you all are doing this by yourselves. I will be right there cleaning and fixing things right beside you. So expect me in here from open to close every week up until show time. Also please get with Jennifer and give her your shirt sizes today as well. I am ordering you all new uniform shirts for these events."

"Pants too?" Jimmy calls out.

"No this is how I am going to work it. Black or blue jeans. But please make sure they are in good condition. Not faded and no holes. Snack bar and bar you will be getting aprons to cover up. Mechanics, you will be given overalls that completely cover you but you will need to at least have your uniform shirt on and visible somehow if you come up top. Meaning of you are in the back and come up here tie the overall arms around your waist so the shirt is visible. " I am trying to remember every detail. "Concourse reps, you will have your choice of cover ups to wear when emptying the grease buckets. But make sure after those are done you change out of the cover up and back into uniform. Are there any questions?"

I look around and everyone is shaking their head.

"Ok. Final thing then I will let you all go. Well sort of. I need everyone's honest opinion." Alright here goes nothing. None of my employees here know about my past, at least I don't think they do. But I am gonna tell them now. "It has been mentioned to me that some people believe that I should start bowling more."

"You mean in leagues?"

"No not exactly, I mean in tournaments."

"Like the kind some of the bowlers do when they go to different houses?"

"Something like that?" Why is so difficult to tell them?

"Do you need teammates? Cause if you do I will join?" Mike says and several others agree and said they would too.

"Not that kind of tournament." I can see the look of confusion so here goes nothing. "Guys let me introduce you to someone that can help shed some more of what I am about to say. Everyone please let me introduce to you Matt Parker."

"Hey you take pictures of athletes right?"

"Yes now I do. However several years ago I only covered the photos one one particular athlete. I was this persons personal photographer. "

"You mean you don't do that persons pictures anymore?

"Nope. And here is the reason why."

I cued up the video that talks about and shows the pictures from the car accident. But luckily Matt retracted my name and it just says the athlete knows as Prodigy.

Looking at everyone in this meeting I see everyones eyes gloss over, ready to spill the tears.

And as I gaze upon the screen I realized how lucky I am to still be here. And Ms. Connie was right. This is my second chance.

When the video ended, everyone was quiet. But Jimmy asked the one question they wanted to know. "Is this bowler still alive? Did she make it."

"Yes sir. She's alive and well." Matt said. "And in fact I can introduce you to her if you like?"

Everyone had their heads bobbing.

"Okay. But please remember this. She has not told anyone about her past of  being a professional bowler. So please do not talk about this."

Of course they agree. My team is good about things like this.

"Prodigy can you stand up here next to me." Matt calls out and here goes nothing.

I make my way to stand next to him and wonder what my everyone must be thinking. But it doesn't take long.

"Ms. Rochelle where is this bowler?"

"Yeah we want to meet her?"

Those are some of the questions that were asked until Vinny, my head mechanic calls out.

"Ms Rochelle, isn't your last name Parker?"

"Yes."

"And doesn't this guy have the same last name as you?"

"Yes."

"Is he your husband?"

"God no! He's a complete mess." I say with a gagging expression.

"Oh be nice Shelly." Matt says.

"Guys let me introduce you properly to my baby brother."

"Okay but wait." Light bulbs are turning on. "No fucking way. Are you serious? "

Some of the people around looked confused. But Vinny keeps it rolling.

"You're serious."

Matt and I just smile and nod.

"Wow!"

Everyone is still looking lost.

"Guys, don't you remember what the video said? That the photographer had a hard time with this because it was his older sister and now he takes pictures of various athletes instead of one. And that now these two are standing here with the same last name. And he used to be a personal photographer."

Some are still confused but others are starting to piece it together.

"You're her aren't you?" Vinny asks.

Matt grabs my hand and squeezes it. Just to let me know I can answer and that he's proud of me.

"Yes guys that was me." Shocked faces look back at me and unshed tears start to fall. "But I have more news that even Matt here doesn't know about."

Now this gets Matt's attention along with the rest of the room.

"I have talked it over with several people and I have decided that"

Of course Matt blurts it out.

"You're going back. Aren't you?"

"Yes."

The whole room erupts into cheers and I get bombarded with hugs from my employees as Matt gets pushed to the sidelines.

Words of congratulations and how proud of you are being thrown in my direction.

Matt was standing off to the side. And I wasn't sure if he was happy or sad. But I made my way over to him and he held my hands giving them a gentle squeeze.

"Is this what you truly want?"

"Yes. I can't run from it any longer. It's who I am and always wanted to be. Every time I am out there on those lanes, it makes me feel alive. And I miss it."

Taking a deep breath  he looks to me, "Guess we have some work to do then huh?" He smiled and pulled me into a hug.

The meeting ended and everyone that didn't need to work that day left. And I was happy to see everyone got their  sizes into me so I can order the new uniform shirts.

Matt and I ate a quick lunch and I got to work right away. Starting with ordering new rental shoes, and whatever was needed for the front counter, then moving to the other areas of the establishment.  And finally ordering new pins and whatever else the mechanics need.

I also ordered new cleaning supplies and disinfectants, everything had to be spotless. I even hired a landscaping crew and painters for the outside.

We had a month and it was slowly going to come together.

The WPBA tournament was almost upon us and finally the new shirts came in.

Everyone was impressed and loved them. They all understood when they needed to wear these. And I did make sure to order 5 for each one of them.

So here it was time for the Womens tournament and everyone was impressed.  I had people coming up to me and interviewing me about what is taking place here  over the this month and next month.

I mentioned the King of the Lanes event for the PBA as well as the charity event for the NHL.

"Ladies, I want to thank you all for participating in today's  event. This event is taking place over the course of three days starting today. I also want to thank the proprietor, Rochelle Parker. She has agreed to let us take over." Ms. Connie announced to all the ladies that were here in attendance.

Some of them I recognized from when I started out and before my accident.

The ladies all congratulated me on opening this establishment. Others thanked me for allowing them to bowl here.

"Hey young lady." A voice called to me.

"Liz?"

She hugged me tightly and I heard her start to cry.

"Thank the man upstairs that you are still with us. I prayed and prayed for you. When I saw those pictures..." she had more tears come down her face.

"Liz, please stop crying." I said with a cracked voice.

"I am sorry.  I'm just so happy you are here." She hugged me tight. When she pulled back she had a smile on her face.

"Me too."

"I can't believe that you walked away."

"Well not truly away. I was in a coma for about a year."

"Do you, um.."

"Yes I remember everything that happened that night. There is nothing permanently damaged."

"Bless the stars." She smiled and said.  "And what is this I hear about you coming back on tour?"

"How the hell did you hear that? No one knows that." I looked lost.

"I have an inside birdie." She smiles and winks as she looks over to Ms. Connie.

We both look at Ms. Connie who sits in a chair behind one of the tournament desks. She caught us staring and had a shocked look upon her face but smiled.

Yeah you got busted lady.

I shook my head and focused my attention back on Liz.  "Well it's true and I will be bowling in the charity event. But please not a word Liz."

"You have my word. But I may just join you on this event. Be like old times."

"Oh good Lord, help me now."

We laughed and then headed our separate ways.

I can only imagine how this will go.

The next three days went well and there wasn't anything major that happened. 

Liz won the event and donated some of the winnings to my establishment.  Although I tried to tell to keep it I ended up losing that argument.

How I missed those women.

Now comes time for the next major thing.  The charity event.

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

251K 5.4K 42
Christine Miller's lifelong dream was to graduate from Harvard University. The last thing she wanted to do was fall in love, especially since her pre...
53.3K 405 41
She meets a hockey player. She falls in love. He doesn't know what he wants. Distance separates the two. Will it push them together?
35.5K 1K 41
* please remember this is the rough draft of THE PACT and the updated version can be found on kindle and paperback on amazon that includes an epilogu...
459K 7.2K 50
Meet Jamie Benn's bestfriend, a green eyed, blonde haired, Dallas star journalist, Nicola. Nicola has a really low tolerance when it comes to immatur...