A Garden of Blooming Coals: T...

By Priceless-Altalun

"From the top of the head, to the soles of the feet, and the four corners of the body." -Hawaiian healing pro... More

Prologue - Baby's Breath
Chapter 1 - Sunflower
Chapter 2 - Magnolia
Chapter 3 - Daisy
Chapter 5 - Foxglove
Chapter 6 - Daffodil
Chapter 7 - Dandelion
Chapter 8 - Orchid
Chapter 9 - Lilac
Chapter 10 - Cala Lily
Chapter 11 - Angel's Trumpet
Chapter 12 - Iris
Chapter 13 - Viscaria
Chapter 14 - Alstroemeria
Chapter 15 - Snapdragon
Chapter 16 - Chrysanthemum
Chapter 17 - Cornflower
Chapter 18 - Rhododendron
Chapter 19 - Hibiscus
Chapter 20 - Blood Lily
Chapter 21 - Heart's Desire
Chapter 22 - Oleander
Chapter 23 - Lavender
Chapter 24 - Carnation
Chapter 25 - Dahlia
Chapter 26 - Forget-Me-Not
Chapter 27 - Hyacinth
Chapter 28 - Gardenia
Chapter 29 - Morning Glory
Chapter 30 - Goldband Lily
Chapter 31 - Camellia
Chapter 32 - Honeysuckle
Chapter 33 - Petunia
Chapter 34 - Gladiola
Chapter 35 - Buttercup
Chapter 36 - Marigold
Chapter 37 - Meadowsweet
Chapter 38 - Begonia
Chapter 39 - Freesia
Chapter 40 - Belladonna Lily
Chapter 41 - Rose
Chapter 42 - Tulip
Chapter 43 - Butterfly Weed
Chapter 44 - Sweet Briar
Chapter 45 - Love-Lies-Bleeding
Chapter 46 - Heather
Chapter 47 - Winter Rose
Chapter 48 - Queen-of-the-Night
Chapter 49 - Narcissus
Chapter 50 - Stargazer Lily
Chapter 51 - Aster
Chapter 52 - Black-Eyed-Susan
Chapter 53 - Zinnia
Chapter 54 - Plumeria
Chapter 55 - Holly
Chapter 56 - Hydrangea
Chapter 57 - Evening Primrose
Chapter 58 - Poppy
Chapter 59 - Sundrop
Epilogue - Lily-of-the-Valley [10 Years Later...]

Chapter 4 - Peony

129 5 0
By Priceless-Altalun

"Do the carriages really go underwater?" Hina asks, giving a small grunt as her coffin jerks slightly with, what she's assuming is, a turn of her own carriage.

Holding her phone in this cramped box is hard enough without being jolted around. Why's she even need to be in a box? She's literally the only Vulcanian attending this school, so it's not like it's to save room.

Then again, she did pack a lot...

Jade's voice comes in through one end of the three way call. "Indeed they do, Sunfish. It's quite the odd experience, if I might say."

"I imagine," Hina says, "Seeing that picture of you guys in the uniforms for the first time blew Mama's mind."

Then comes Floyd's raspy laugh, "Orca's always been like that."

Hina giggles. "She wouldn't stop gushing over how tall you two got... I'm kinda nervous to see it in person."

This time Jade speaks. "Is that because you've still not broken the 150 centimeter mark?"

Hina huffs. "You don't have to rub it in," she says, shifting in an attempt to get comfortable in her coffin.

It's certainly not torture, being plush and lined with soft, plum velvet and smelling of seasalt and Uki Uki lilies, but they could have at least made it slightly wider. She's starting to get a cramp in her elbow from having it bent like this for so long. Ah, well at least the robes of her temporary uniform are comfortable. Soft and loose fitting over her button down and slacks. With the hood pulled up over her curls, and with how soft the inside of the coffin is, the robes feel almost like a blanket..

"You guys are in the Sea Witch's dorm, right? What's it called again?" she asks, once more adjusting herself as best she can without wrinkling her clothes

"Octavinelle," Jade supplies.

"Azul's the leader," Floyd adds, "You remember him, right Sunfish?"

How could Hina forget? Azul is a rather interesting character. Hina doesn't know him well, but there would sometimes be times in the past where he would have to come to Waigula himself to get the twins for some kind of work they never go into detail about. She certainly doesn't dislike Azul. Actually, she sort of... has to respect him. He's half man, half octopus, just like the god of death and the deep ocean, Kanaloa, so Hina's somewhat convinced he's at least slightly demigod, though he doesn't bare the types of Kanaloa features that Aheahe does, no dark blue hair, no death aura, no skeletal parts of his body swirling with indigo magic.

On second thought... that's probably a good thing.

"Yeah, I remember Azul," Hina replies, "Somehow I'm not surprised that he's your dorm leader."

"Housewarden," Jade reminds gently.

"Right," Hina nods, "Azul for housewarden, you for vice housewarden, right?"

Jade hums. "Correct."

"Jade makes such a good vice house warden," Floyd says, "He doesn't make me do any of his work."

Hina snickers. "Isn't he the one always doing your homework?" she gently teases.

"Hey!" Floyd whines, "Jade, Sunfish is being mean."

Jade's quiet, low chuckle. "Such a silver tongue you've gotten yourself from that school," he muses, "Never did I think I would see the day."

"What?" Hina says, quirking a brow, though she knows neither twin sees it, "I'm friends with you two and Aheahe, what'd you expect?"

"For you to still choke on nothing whenever I call you cute," Floyd chimes in.

Unfortunately for Hina, and fortunately for Floyd, she does give an audible choke, something that happens whenever she's caught off guard or embarrassed.

That sends both twins laughing. Well, even if she'll probably go to the entrance ceremony blushing, at least she's been able to entertain them on the ride in.

A small series of bumps, before Hina feels the carriage come to a stop. She shifts a bit, then pushes the door to her coffin open, squinting a bit at the bright light that greets her.

"Hey guys, I just got in," she says, stepping down, then hopping from the carriage to stretch her legs a bit. She shakes out one, then the other as she looks around. "Are you guys here yet?"

"We'll have to greet you at the ceremony," Jade says, "I'm afraid the rules for we elder students aren't quite so lax as they are for the first years."

A hum from Hina. "Will I get to say hi to you guys there?" she asks. Looking around, she finds more carriages around, other students stepping out from some, some excited, others appearing as though they've just awoken from a nap, confirming her suspicions about why the robes are as soft as they are.

Floyd's voice comes in. "Yes," he says, "After the mirror sorts you though. I wanna see your face when it does."

Hina quirks her lips. "As long as I'm not put into Savanahclaw, I think I'll be fine," she says.

"I hope you're in our dorm," Floyd sighs.

"I dunno," Hina says, "You guys wear suits, which are kinda ehhh for me. I mean, you saw how uncomfortable I look in my ID photo."

"If you do get placed into Octavinelle," Jade says into the phone as Hina begins following the mass of other first year students, hanging toward the back to avoid being trampled, "I'm sure Azul would allow you to modify your uniform to something a bit less masculine."

"I hope so," Hina says, "Azul's good though. I'd probably just have to pay him."

Floyd giggles. "I like hearing Sunfish say Azul's name," he comments.

Hina pouts. "Azzzzzzzzzzzzul," she holds down, forcing herself to make the Z sound rather than the theta one.

Another laugh from Floyd. "Cute," he coos.

Hina glances up from the floor, her breath catching slightly at the sheer number of students. "I thought Night Raven was a private school," she marvels, "How are there this many students?"

"Magic," Jade replies, a note of humor in his tone. "In all seriousness though," he adds, "I do think we should hang up soon. I'd hate for you to miss being called because of us."

Hina chews the inside of her cheek. "First tell me where you guys are," she says, "Just so I can stay grounded."

"Do you see Azul?" Jade asked, "He's to the left of Sealion- err- Prince Leona, in the robes."

Hina, deciding to not point out how literally everyone in this room is wearing robes of one kind or another, surveys the room, and when her gaze finds Azul, it's not long before she spots the shapes of the twins near him and-

"Dear gods you guys got tall!" Hina blurts, earning a few funny looks from students around her.

"Ah, there you are," Jade comments, and now Hina can see that Floyd must have left the call earlier, because she watches him be passed the phone next.

"You're still small," comes Floyds giggle, "Sunfish is so tiny."

Hina's puffy cheeks at that earn a bit of laughter from both twins.

"Alright, now that we can see one another," Jade says, "I do believe we must put the phones away."

"Right," Hina says, "In case I don't get into your dorm, give Azul an aloha from me."

"Certainly," Jade assures.

"Bye, Sunfish," Floyd drags out.

Click.

Lowering her phone, Hina slips the device into her pocket, tugging slightly at the collar of her shirt. Here comes that feeling, the one she always gets in places like this.

They're staring.

They're all staring at you.

You should have straightened your hair.

You should have tied your hair up.

Your clothes are all wrinkled from the ride in.

They're all judging you.

She shrinks slightly into herself, shuts her eyes, takes a deep breath and looks back up toward the shapes of the twins. Jade is speaking to Azul and, oh, he's looking at her.

Hina lifts a hand and gives a sheepish wave, mouthing her greeting to him, which he returns with a simple nod.

Before long, the ceremony truly begins, first year students having their names called out by the Dark Mirror itself, before they're sent to their respective dorms.

Heartslabyul students are sent to join a petite boy with a shock of red hair and a busy, but absolutely gorgeous coat dress and crown.

Savanahclaw students go toward towering, dark haired Prince Leona Kingscholar of the Sunset Savanah.

Octavinelle students go, of course, to Azul, who Hina can tell even from here seems slightly too warm toward them.

Scarabia students-

Hina blinks.

She stares openly.

Because she absolutely knows the housewarden of Scarabia.

White hair, red eyes, white ink down his arms, a thousand and one pieces of gold jewelry.

"Not Prince Kalim," she says quietly to herself.

"Huh?" asks another first year beside her, a petite boy with the most amazing lilac hair Hina's ever seen.

"Nothing," she says quickly, and before the boy can ask, his own name is apparently called by the Dark Mirror.

To the next dorm he goes, one called Pomefiore, and lead by-

Once more, Hina's blown away.

Vil Schoenheit.

The Vil Schoenheit.

Tall, fair and drop dead gorgeous, hair half swept up with a golden crown perched atop his head, he is every inch an image of queenly beauty.

Next up, Ignihyde. Hina vaguely knows this dorm already since its patron is another underworld's god, one called Hades she thinks. Its leader isn't even there in person, instead present on a tablet. Blue fire for hair with what Hina assumes is matching blue makeup.

Lastly, Diasomnia, which Hina thinks is led by the rather small, bat like boy ushering the students toward himself. He has a strange aura about him, but Hina's not complaining. She likes the raspberry colored streaks in his hair, which is enough for her to ignore the aura.

And then it happens.

"Makoa Keahi."

The Dark Mirror's voice is low, resounding, commanding, and Hina's limbs momentarily forget how to work, but after a second of cold, petrified fear, she shuffles forward, head bowed, to greet the mirror.

Standing before its sleek visage, she feels naked and exposed, wrapping her arms around her own waist slightly. She feels two distinct sensations then.

The beautiful warmth of fire, curling and blossoming in bright oranges and ambers.

Then the withering, the rot, the decay that she brings all flora. The roots of her hair prickle slightly at that, and she unconsciously scratches the back of her head.

There's a long moment, in which the mirror's deep voice does not resound, before another feeling washes through her.

Warm.

Soothing.

Glowing.

At first, she thinks it's fire, but when she hears the name of her dorm, she realizes that, no, the feeling is comething else entirely. Something a hundred thousand times better, something that would have never allowed her to be stuck in Savanahclaw.

"Pomefiore."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

552K 17.8K 25
Anxยทious: Full of mental distress or uneasiness because of fear of danger or misfortune; greatly worried. Joelle Collins has social anxiety, pan...
832K 18.9K 47
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
45K 1.1K 12
Aiya Tsumiki was home schooled all her life until highschool what will happen once the 4'7 girl arrives there? What if she falls for a certain little...
1M 39.6K 92
๐—Ÿ๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜„๐—ฎ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ธ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ, ๐—น๐˜‚๐—ฐ๐—ธ๐—ถ๐—น๐˜† ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ, ๐—”๐—ป๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๏ฟฝ...