Matchbox

By junekicks

S4 / Steve Harrington. More

Matchbox
Graphics.
Part One.
I. Life Goes By A Rule Book
II. Boobies
III. Hummingbirds Of Nerves
IV. Dead Flower
V. Freezing Little Girl
VI. The Feeling Of Loss
VII. Knives Out
VIII. No Sleep For Pretty Girls
IX. Fail-Safe
X. Childhood Death Haunts
XII. The Fears Of A Teenage Boy
XIII. Mother's Cut
XIV. Ballerina
Part Two.
XV. Some Bunny Loves Me
XVI. War Zone / Harrington's
XVII. War Is Over
Epilogue. The Slaughter

XI. Blue Isn't So Blue

1.8K 99 42
By junekicks

Eleven. Blue Isn't So Blue

            Vera was a lost puppy.

   Steve had her by a leash, and he didn't even notice half the time.

The Wheeler House was relatively quiet, the group getting ready to disappear from the safety of the home. Vera was on edge and her skin was littered with chills, it felt constant. A constant variable.

  And from time to time she'd catch herself staring at the drying up cuts from the asphalt street she'd been shoved into just this morning (where she watched another one of her friends die).

She was silently walking down one of the halls, the walls littered with baby photos of the Wheeler kids. (Vera had never seen a baby picture of herself. Diane said she didn't have any. They all had been taken when Blue left.) Vera's gaze was on Steve, in front of her, and she watched the way his shoulders were tense and he seem to wince every now and then.

She could hear her friends heading out the front door and towards Nancy's car. Vera hurried over to Steve. Just a few steps. Her hand wrapped around his wrist, and he jumped at the sudden contact. Vera pulled the two into the bathroom of porcelain and gold accents.

Steve's eyes wide and glossy of curiosity lingered on Vera. "What's.. Whats up?"

The girl frowned gently. "Why are you wincing when you walk?"

For a mere second it looked like a child had been caught sneaking candy at midnight when everyone was supposed to be asleep. Steve cleared his throat gently. "Am not." Vera scoffed gently, arms crossing over her front defensively. "I can see you! Your shoulders are all tense and.."

Maybe Steve didn't want to argue on his well-being. Maybe Steve didn't want to lie that he was fine. Maybe Steve was a little tired of pretending to be okay all the time.

Vera's voice had faded off to nothing as she watched the boy gently pull off his jacket as he turned from her. Her lips were parted and she gasped as the boy pulled up his shirt with a struggle. How hadn't she figured it out? How hadn't she realized?

Steve's back was all different colors of reds and faded purples along his spine. "I don't blame Munson. I'm fine, really."

She frowned. "Steve it hurts."

The boy smiled down at his shoes, the girl's fingertips ghosting his inflamed skin. "Didn't release we shared the same pain?"

Vera rolled her eyes as the boy let his shirt fall back down, turning towards her. "Seriously, it's just a little sore. I'm alright." Vera only nodded, gently tucking Steve's shirt back into his jeans. She was so gentle, like she was holding ancient tea cups. Her actions and delicacy could've made a grown man cry; make Steve cry.

Steve's head titled to the side a little as he watched the girl, a hand came up, cupping her jaw. "I love you, yeah?"

Vera paused, hands falling away from the boy. Her gaze switched up to him and she felt immense guilt all the sudden. I should tell him. I need to tell him. I think—No, I know I'm going to die if we don't figure this Vecna thing out.

She wasn't saying it. She couldn't. It burned her throat too much. She could wait another day. Live another day.

"I feel bad every time you say that.. I don't say it nearly enough, Steve.."

The boy smiled gently, tucking her honey strands behind her ears. (He loved too much, he knew that. But he didn't care so much when it came to Vera.) His pinky dragged over her nose, traced her lips and cupid's bow. She went pink under it all. "You don't owe me anything, V. I know you love me, even if you don't think you say it enough. I know you do. And that's okay, you shouldn't feel forced just because I say it. Now, don't feel bad."

Steve had been the one to inform the rest of the group of Mia's death on the way to the Creel House. Just the more anxiety that they needed to save Max. (Vera figured they'd get it done, kill this Vecna, they'd save Max, and save herself without them knowing. She'd never have to worry Steve.)

It was a good plan, only if it worked.

Max had been the one to see the Creel House as Vecna tried to take her, it had been a destroyed version of the home it seemed. And Victor had talked about the cursed home to Nancy and Robin before they ran from cops (I don't know, I wasn't there).

  The house looked like an abandoned part of Vera's mind. Maybe this is what Diane Stonem's mind looked like, shit?

The home looked horrible.

The door was covered in wood, it was clear no one uninvited should've been here. But when do the kids ever get invitations to anything? They create the chaos when they arrive when they need. "What exactly are we supposed to be looking for in this shithole?"

"Not sure. We just know this house is important to Vecna."

"Because Max saw it in Vecna's red soup mind word?"

Vera rolled her eyes. "Basically."

"Great.."

Dustin hummed with a shrug, "maybe it holds a clue to where Vecna is. Why he's back. Why he killed the Creels. And how to stop him before he comes back for Max."

Lucas looked among the group, "we don't think he's in here.. do we?"

Maybe this will be a death day.

Max shrugged, "guess we'll find out." And with that the wood over the door came down. The aged front door visible. "It's locked. Should I knock, see if anybody's home?" Steve's words were aimed at Vera, she stood by Robin. His brows wiggled with his wording and Vera bit back a smile. Such an idiot.

"I found a key."

All gazes moved to Robin and a brick in her palm. Vera cracked a small smile, "you and a brick doesn't particularly feel safe to me." Robin beamed as she sent the girl a wink as she moved up towards the front door.

The home was pitch black and as dusty as old tapes. The home could've been wrapped in a layer of black ivory. Vera's skin crawled.

The girl skimmed her light around, eyes following. "Where'd everyone get those?" The girl turned over her shoulder, gaze landing on a lost Steve Harrington. Dustin glared, unamused, at the older boy. "Do you need to be told everything? You're not a child."

Steve scoffed, "thank you."

Dustin smiled gently as he made his way more into the house. Vera cracked a smile as she came up to Steve. "Shit, the mouth he has on him. You're not a child. Please."

Vera beamed, holding up her own light with a little shake. "We can share, unless you have cooties. Then you're on your own, lover boy." Steve beamed wide, squeezing the girls free hand as he plucked her light from her grasp. Their free hands laced instantly.

"Hey guys, you all see that right?"

Vera nearly gagged at Max's words. A grandfather clock. Vera hadn't realized but her hand tightened in Steve's as she stared at the clock. His gaze flickered to her quickly, she hadn't noticed as she halfway lingered behind him and his side.

  Simultaneous "Yeah's" sounded out as the group approached the dusted clock. "Is this what you saw? In your visions?" Max nodded gently at Nancy's words. Robin sighed, light on the clock, "I mean.. it's just a clock? Right?" The short haired girl moved up, wiping at the dust. "Like a normal old clock." Vera let her eyes wander to Max, she could see the nerves slipping from her pores.

  Steve's gaze switched amongst the group. "Why is this wizard obsessed with clocks?" Vera's eyes instantly switched to the boy at the sound of his voice, never mind the words he was saying. "Maybe he's, like, a clockmaker or something?"

  Dustin scoffed, "I think you cracked the case, Steve."

  Nancy disregard the boys words. "All I know is the answers are here. Somewhere."

The group then took a split to venture the lonely house. The lonely soul of the house.

   The stairs creaked under every step. The walls looked as sad as the ones in Vera's home were. Vera's fingers skimmed the prints as she traveled behind Steve, her skin tingled. "Hey, V?"

  The girl paused, gaze landing on Steve before her. He was taking a spin in one of the rooms, flashlight following his lead. "Yeah, Steve?"

   "Do we, like, have any idea what we're looking for?" The boys voice hollowed out as he pushed into the bathroom, Vera's eyes floated away landing on a record player. "Um, I guess.. Something that just doesn't fit? I don't really know.."

  "Right.." Steve's voice was a mere whisper. Vera's eyes landed on the cover of the record, she frowned not behind able to see the artist or name with its attraction of dust. Though before she could ever attempt to clear it, glass came shattering from behind her. Her eyes widened as Steve came stumbling back, into spider webs, before nearly tripping over Vera's foot. "Whoa, whoa. Steve!"

  The boy spun towards her, aggressively wiping at himself. "What's wrong? Steve?" The boy looked up wildly, "there.. there was a spider." Vera's lips parted, brows a little raised. "It's a black widow, Vera!" Before she could even say anymore the boy grabbed at her wrist, pulling her from the room, slamming the door. "Don't go in there. There? No more. Alright? Alright."

  Vera smiled gently, the two now standing in the hall. "Steve, honey, your hair.." The boys eyes widened, "what? What! What is it?" Vera lifted her hand, "well stop moving!" He came to a pause as the girl pulled webs from his honey locks. "Okay, there we go.." Steve sighed, "thanks.." Vera hummed with a gentle smile.

  "If there's a spider in there, you're never gonna find it till it lays eggs and all the babies spill out."

  Robin passed the two with a smug look. Vera a look of amusement, Steve a look of judgement. "What is wrong with you? Robin, seriously!" The girl just laughed as she passed the two into another room.

  "Okay, all peachy. Hair is good. No spiders."

  The boy turned towards the girl with a soft smile, "thank you for that." Vera hummed gently with a soft smile and shrug, "no biggie. You know that." Steve nodded slowly, and Vera watched the way his eyes faded a little. "Steve, you okay?"

  The boy took in a breath. "You'd tell me if something was, like, I don't know, up with you right?" Vera's heart paused, "up.. with me?" Steve shook his head a little, hands moving animatedly. "You know.. like if you weren't okay? If something was wrong? And! I don't mean like.. people you know have died.." He said those words a little softer. "Like if something was wrong-wrong with you.."

  Vera smiled gently, she hoped it came off true and not as nervous as she felt. "M'tell you everything Steve, y'know that."

  She watched him push out a smile, it seemed a little force. "Right. No, yeah. Of course. Just making sure.. You know how I am." Vera now nodded slowly, arms encasing herself. "Don't gotta worry about me. Big girl here, senior status." The boy cracked a smile at her weak attempt at a joke, "no, I know. I'm just saying you don't have to all the time. I'm here."

  Vera's smile fell gently. If she wanted to say anything else she couldn't, Nancy appeared, Robin right behind her. "Think Max and Lucas got something. Come on."

  The two simply nodded, hurrying after the other girls. 

   A dust coated, web coated, chandelier was flickering. Lights flickering. "It's like the Christmas lights." Robin raised a brow at Nancy's words, "Christmas lights?"

  Vera hummed. "They were for Will. When he was in the Upside Down, it's how he talked to Joyce. It's like the lights.. woke up, came to life."

  "Vecna's here. In this house. Just on the other side." And with Lucas' words the lights went out. "I think he might've just left the room."

  "Did he hear us?"
  "Can he see us?"

  Lucas turned quick to Max, "headphones." The girl was quick to place them on. Nancy's brows picked up, "wait, wait. Everyone, turn off your flashlights and spread out."

  Max's music started up. They took a split. Vera and Steve paused, his wide eyes on the short girl. "We won't be able to see if we turn off the lights!" Vera huffed gently, taking the light from the boy and flicking it off. "You can hold my hand if you're scared, I don't have cooties."

  Steve scoffed at the girls words, taking her hand regardless as she led the way. "You're ridiculous."

  And in a matter of silent moments Robin cries out. "I got him! I got him!" As the group hurried over the light faded, Robin frowned. "I.. I had him."

  Vera then flinched as her light flickered on, "Jesus Christ.." Steve then took the light from the girl, "okay.. okay. I think he's moving. He's moving. He's moving." The group followed after Steve as he led the way, only to lose the light completely. "Shit. I lost him." But Vera's eyes had fallen elsewhere, "no.. no, you didn't."

  The girl moved towards the closet room, an attic. She pulled at the door, warm light shining through the cracks. "It's an attic. Of course it's an attic."

  The attic was relatively large, it smelled old. The single light above flicker gently. "Flashlights." Dustin's voice was quick, everyone's lights on as the gathered in a circle under the main light. They all faced the lights up. "Okay, what's happening?"

  The lights hummed brighter, few seem to wince at the light. And suddenly gasp sounded out as the lights went out and shattered, one by one. Gasp sounded out and head flung back, Steve crowding in on Vera. Protecting her face from the flinging glass. "Holy shit!" The light above them all broke as a final snap.

"What the hell was that!"

Nancy had dropped Steve and Vera off last, Vera's house closest to Nancy's home (around the block to be exact). "Are you sure? You're positive you have no glass on you? Anywhere?" Vera would've said no, like she had the last five times Steve had asked her. But her attention was elsewhere, on the random car next to her mother's barely driven car in the driveway (weeds were peaking in through the cement cracks, it looked unkept for. It was unkept). "Vera?—"

"Does this car look familiar to you?"

Steve's eyes flickered from the side of her face to the car she was meekly pointing at. His brows creased, "no. Not in the slightest." Vera's gaze then shifted to her front door, hands reaching for her house keys attached to the loop of her flared jeans. Steve followed after, quickly. "You don't know who's car that is?"

"The license plate says Nevada. We don't know anyone outside of this town." So much distaste in a sentence, so much venom, hatred. Diane Stonem and I. Me and Diane Stonem.

Vera was quick to open the door, and voices hit her ear drums quicker than one could blink. Steve was closing the door behind her as she ventured towards the voices, they got louder like nightmares. She reached the kitchen and halted.

  Was this a nightmare?

"You cannot just waltz back in here and except to take my daughter with you!" My daughter. My daughter. My daughter.

Vera's eyes widened and her jaw might've fallen off its hinges. Until.. Steve nearly tripped into Vera and her sudden halt. The pair made gasps and the two adults in the kitchen were quicker than quick with looking at the two.

Steve stood with a sheepish look, trying to hide behind his girlfriend who was shorter than him by a long shot. Diane Stonem sighed. And Vera was going to scream, for she was staring into the eyes of the first man to ever leave her behind (he was the first and he wasn't the last): Blue Stonem.

He looked the same from what she could remember. It was all a little foggy. He had the slightest of wrinkles now by his mouth, wrinkles from smiling. Vera knew that much. She could just tell. He just looked happier. He was wearing baggy jeans that yelled out comfort, a grey shirt with black cuffing at the ends of the sleeves that looked worn in a good way. He looks okay, especially standing across from Diane, who was wearing the same outfit for the third day in a row now.

"D-Dad?"

Steve seem to halt for a second, his eyes doing a double take at the man in the kitchen. Oh, shit. That's my girlfriends dad. Steve gently cleared his throat, not meaning to bring the attention to himself. Steve's eyes turned to Vera's, "I, uh, I'll be in your room.." He squeezed the girls hand gently, and she only nodded. Face still laced with shock.

As Steve hurried up the stairs, Diane was making a b-line for her child. Her cold aged hands landing on her daughters shoulders, she pulled her back roughly, Vera nearly fell. Keys slipping from her hands, Diane was quick to pick those up. "Go upstairs. Will you. The adults are talking."

Blue still had yet to speak a word. He seemed.. stuck. Like a light had shined over him and he was nervous, but a little happy?

Was he glad to see her?

Vera's wide eyes snapped to her mother, "what? You sound mental, get off of me." Vera yanked herself from the woman's grasp, and Diane seem to sway a little at the loss of stability. "Jesus Christ, Vera. Did you not hear me, I said—"

"You're so tall now."

Both Stonem women paused. Looking away from one another as all their attention landed on Blue. Diane with anger, Vera with shock.

Vera panicked, she smiled a little. "I'm not even five - three.." The man before her cleared his throat, "I.. mean, you're not, like, tall-tall. You're just not tiny anymore.. you were super short your freshman year.." He sounded nervous and that gave Vera a weird sense of comfort. She wasn't the only one then.

She smiled a bit more. "I grew two and a half inches. I'm probably not growing anymore."

Blue seem to smile at that, truly smile as his hands slipped into his pockets. "You look great, Vera. Truly beautiful."

She couldn't help herself, she just wanted to know. Was he really here? He wasn't in a cemetery of her mind. The girl moved forward, arms encasing the man quicker than a heart could beat. Blue was taken back for a moment, but wasted no time in hugging the girl back. He squeezed, she nearly lost her air but it felt so good.

For a daughter to be held by her father.

Diane felt a new sense of urgency, an angry red beat urgency in her lungs and heart. It ripped her ribcage apart and clung onto her limbs. I will not let this man take away my daughter. Diane went over the reasons Vera could— would stay in Hawkins. And all she could come up with was Steve Harrington, that boy upstairs who doesn't give up on Diane's girl.

"He's come from Nevada, Vera. How ridiculous is that."

Vera gently pulled back from the man, and he almost didn't seem to want to let go. Like this stupid simple hug could make up for the four years he missed out on. Her high school years. Her prime. So they say.

Blue gently cleared his throat, biting back Diane's venom tone. "It was okay. The drive was nice. Nice things to look at." Vera smiled gently, "are you.. staying? In Hawkins for a little?"

Blue hummed. "Yeah. Few weeks maybe. I know you started spring break, had it marked on a calendar. I wanted to make sure you'd be available when I came down."

"Oh. That's.. That's nice. Thank you." Blue smiled, almost a little shy. And Diane hated how much Vera resembled Blue, it's why she couldn't stand her daughter. She reminded her of another man that left her alone. "Are you staying at the motel near the middle of town?"

Blue watched the way Vera took a seat at the kitchen table, he followed. "Yeah. I am. It's gotten better since I've last been there.."

Diane wanted to yell.

The woman nearly stomped into the kitchen. She slotted herself next to her daughter and Vera's eyes widened a little. Diane never wanted to sit directly next to her, always across—so she could nitpick. "Blue, what are you even doing here."

Right to the chase, thanks mom!

Vera shrunk a little at Diane's tone, Blue didn't miss that. The man nodded shortly, fingers tapping at the table. "I'm.. um, engaged."

Oh, fuck. Both Stonem women's eye's widened, but for all different reasons. Vera was smiling, Diane had a horrible look on her face. One no one could read. Vera nodded, "that's awesome. Congrats."

Blue seem to deflate in relief at his daughters words. "Thank you. She's great.." He didn't want to brag too much. Yes, Diane had been horrible to him and he should've bragged—but that's just not who he was as a person. "Her name is Liz Carters. I think you'd like her, she's back at the motel. She'd love to meet you when you're free, if you want of course. If not that's totally okay as well—"

  "Still doesn't explain why you're here."

   Vera frowned at Diane, "can you be a little nicer?" Diane's gaze moved to the girl, eyes slits and Vera huffed. "Don't you start, girl."

  Blue's stomach turned with unsteadiness, he didn't like the way Diane talked. No child should be talked to like that. He knew that much.

  Blue took in a breath, "Vera, I know you're graduating soon.. and I know this is a long shot because it's been years, but, after you graduate I was wondering if you'd want to come to Nevada with me and Liz. Be in the wedding and everything. I know it's a lot, and the choice is totally yours. You're eighteen."

I'm eighteen.

Vera's smile brightened, "that's sounds amazing.." But then she paused, and it quickly faded. Her gaze moved towards the stair case, and Blue watched the way Diane smiled. It was sinister. Like she had won a game or something along those lines. She had just won.

  Vera's gaze moved back to the table, "I'd love too. Really. I hate this town.. But I don't know if I could leave-leave.."

  Diane scoffed. "She's in love, Blue. She ain't goin' anywhere."

The man frowned. Like not jokingly or trying to bother his ex-whatever she was. He was actually frowning and it made Vera sick, because they looked the same. Their expressions and ticks. She wasn't the woman next to her but the man in front of her. "I, uh, could talk to Steve—He probably won't mind. He might even come, he's already graduated.."

Blue nodded gently, with a warm smile. It was honey thick and it made Vera a little sad. Why hadn't he taken her with him.

"Can I ask you a question?"

Both parents looked at the girl. Blue nodded, "of course." Vera looked over at her mother, and she could see every emotion in Diane's eyes. Don't you say a thing. Vera turned away, to her father, she sighed. "Why didn't you take me with you when you left..?"

She remembered that day like it was yesterday.

It's the only day she can't forget. She's merely pushed down all her memories before the age fourteen, but she can't seem to forget that day. The day she cried on her front step for hours. She remembered seeing Steve just stare at her for a little, he had seen the whole thing drenched in sweat from a workout. And she didn't feel judgement from his look, but understanding. They never spoke about it, they both just seem to know that feeling of being left behind.

Blue's jaw seem to click, and Diane pushed out of her seat. It scraped against the floor. "He needs to go. I don't want this man in my house anymore, Vera. You won't see him either."

The younger girl scoffed, "Jesus, mom. It's like you forget I'm an adult."

Diane glared at the girl, "you sound like you want to be kicked to the curb?" Vera smiled, and it shocked Blue—the Vera he once remembered could never talk back to Diane. But Vera was a monster killer now, things had changed.

"I wouldn't be alone. I have Steve."

Blue took a deep breath before this got worse, he was getting flashbacks of himself and Diane. "I left without you because she wouldn't let me take you. She threatened with law, she knew Hopper, and Hopper knew I dabbled with drugs in school. No one wants to take a baby way from a mother, even if the mother doesn't deserve the child. I would've never got to have you, she made me leave without you. I think she did it just to spite me for leaving her. I wanted to take you so bad, Era, you were my light."

She didn't realize she was crying till she felt the drip on her cheek. The girls gaze moved to her mother, "you are the worse monster, and you take pride in that."

Diane avoided her daughter's eyes, her gaze on Blue. "Get out. Get out. Get out!"

Blue sighed, but listened. He squeezed Vera's shoulder gently, a soft whisper. "I'll be in touch. Have a good night, Era."

When it was just the two of them, it was a staring match of fire. "Vera—"

"I hate you. You and your stupid addictions to pains and toxicity. I hate you."

She hurried up the stairs, and when she slammed the door Steve flew up from her bed. He'd been messing around with a Rubiks cube, that was getting nowhere. He noticed the tears of her face, his face softened. "What happened, baby?"

He honest to god couldn't hear the conversation, and he wanted to respect Vera's privacy. She'd tell him when she was ready, but she spit it out so quick it felt like he'd been punched in the gut.

"My dad wants me to move to Nevada with him after high school."

Steve almost said what about us? What about me? What about the kids? What about Hawkins? What about college? What about me following you anywhere? What about us? What does this mean for us, Vera? But instead, all that came out was..

"W-What?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.8K 256 14
Where Olivia Thornton only realizes that she's fallen in love with her closet friend John B after an unexpected trip to the mainland. [OUTER BANKS SE...
73K 2.3K 28
𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐑 π“π‡πˆππ†π’ | eden lowe wanted to know what happened to heather holloway and she wouldn't stop till she found the truth... and now...
11.9K 404 24
gilmore girls seasons 2 and 3 jess mariano x fem! oc slow/sporadic updates Β© voidvaleska