We Were Restless Things

By _raidha_

"Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same" A tale where lies are woven, traps are laid and h... More

║The Battle Starts ║
║ Characters ║
1. Bustled Haveli
2. Fallen Rose and Heart
3. Lonely Heart
4. Cimmerian Storms and Wailing Winds
5. History is Remembered, Not Repeated
6. Blissful Endings
7. Closest are the Furthest
8. Family Ties
9. Best Served Cold
10. The Return
11. Good Mourning
12. Dream a Little of Me
13. Out for Blood
14. Nothing Stays Buried
16. Games People Play
17. Terror of the Faithful

15. The Tie That Binds

32 5 0
By _raidha_

"I am running because I can because I must...

Because I want to see how far

I can go before I have to stop"

𝄗𝄗𝄗𝄗♞𝄗𝄗𝄗𝄗

The atmosphere between the two of them was tinged with memories of a long-ago time. She caught a glimpse of the familiar blues as she approached the room with small steps. She wasn't sure if he was astonished or not, but she kept that to herself by keeping a stiff exterior.

Years of effort are required to learn to control your emotions. They couldn't afford to express their emotions or opinions in public in this environment. A harsh world they existed in.

Placing themselves on the sofa on either side of Rayyan, they continued to stare at each other. What happened in these three years was clueless to each other. How they were, how they changed, what changed, who changed them- so many unanswered questions were dancing in their mind. Being naturally observant, both of them were taking in whatever they could.

"Let's start, shall we?" Rayyan spoke. They weren't sure if he noticed their composure but they did need to get work done.

"So with proper introductions," titling his head to Zaroon, he spoke. "Zaroon, my son. Eldest son. And this is Rab-"

"Rabail Noor Khan," Zarron spoke out her name causing the atoms in the air between them to vibrate with his sound waves.

"We know each other, Uncle," It had been a while since his eardrums vibrated with her voice. Still an ice-queen, he thought with a chuckle.

"Oh? Oh yeah, skipped my mind," Rayyan replied as his mind went over the memory reel. They did know each other- having the same class, working in a group, and socially connected back then. Now, was a different case.

Without further adieu, he started with their discussions. More like Rayyan showing his findings and reports to the two of them. For the rest of that time, Rabail mostly nodded her head, hummed, and kept her eyes strained on the papers spread on the tabletop. Zaroon, on the other hand, spoke at times and gave out some suggestions or remarks.

"That was rash of you," Zaroon pointed out as he took a sip of the coffee that was served to them.

"Well, desperate time, desperate measures, I guess," Rabail shrugged as she straightened her back to look at him. It reminded her of those times. Discussing at a corner of that campus library and cafes. Notes and laptops in between them as they let their tongue carry their thoughts. Deja vu crept up on her senses as she slowly pulled herself from those past times.

"Well, he sure was calling for it, if you ask me," Zaroon replied with a smirk. Though what she did was rash, it was the right decision as well. Shoaib did ask for it as he pulled that stunt in that meeting. That's what he liked about Rabail- quick but thoughtful.

"Now, that they know you are on our side. They will try to blow you out, beta," Rayyan spoke like a concerned father. The world was scary and politics dirty. He knew she was strong, but seeing her rising through ashes and fire had, for obvious reasons, created a soft spot in his heart. She was a fighter and a queen of surviving.

"When did they ever stop?" Rabail chuckled as she took a sip of her caffeine. Wetting her dried mouth, she said, "Just this time around, the attack might be from the front and not a stab in the back."

Zaroon was put into a trance despite the fact that the three people in the room were all carrying painful memories of her utterances. His cries, his fall, a night of betrayal. They all experienced hardships, but all he knew about her sorrows were the deaths of her father and cousin. Like how, despite not understanding what he was specifically trying to solve, all she knew was that he had gone to sort things out. She never tried to question what he was gone for as they weren't on that stance where one could speak out about their dementors.

Why would they know what the other was going through when they were too caught up to catch their footing to care about what others did, felt, wanted, or thought of?

"Do they know you are here?" Rabail asked Zaroon.

"Not really. There is a word for it, you know, 'discretion', Ruby," Hearing him, she rolled her eyes. Their jabs and jibs were back on a roll where they had left it off. There are people in your life, for some unexplainable reason, you could be you with them. That was the both of them as well.

"God! I would lie if I said that I miss that name," she growled out as her hands picked up some papers with the campaign schedule on them.

"Just admit it, you missed it. Missed it to death, actually," Zaroon leaned as his elbows were placed on his knees.

"You are so childish."

"I mean I need to give responses that the other one gets it"

Snapping her blazing eyes on his sickenly sugary smile, she huffed out. 'Didn't change one bit, this man!'

While the two kids were having a ping-pong session with their words, all Rayyan wanted was some popcorn along with his chai. Someone could rile the Khanum up and someone could rile his son to make him answer to jabs. 'Wow! This date needs to be marked.'

"Kiddos, chop chop! Time is ticking," breaking them off of their stare battle, Rayyan decided this was the time to be the 'adult', "They are on to something and the best way is to also prepare the best course of action for us."

"I suggest you dig around a bit," Zaroon said.

"The results are in front of you," Rayyan said.

"I mean digging up on people, not situation. Also picking up some if necessary," Zaroon announced his plans as he leaned back in his chair.

"We can't be like them, Fuego."

"But sometimes to fight evil, you need to bring Hell's fire," Rabail spoke as fingertips rounded the rim of her ceramic cup, "Justice, itself becomes too weak to defeat and defend evil, so what becomes left as an option?" Her eyes fleeted over her cup to Zaroon as she took a sip.

"You need to make choices, Abbu. You might be questioned on the methods by some, but it's for the right things in this whole wide world that dipping your hands in the dirt is not the important thing. The most important matter is what and for whom you are doing it,"

"Making a choice is tough, but standing by and waiting for justice to magically fix things will not help at all, CM Sahib. The best course of action is to sometimes take matters into your hand."

Two pairs of eyes- sapphire and hazel- were looking at him. They both had the same opinion, but Rayyan was more concerned about those who would stand up against evil. There are numerous others, such as Rabail, Ismail, Ifran, Zaroon, and their men. They were brave and powerful, but losing someone you care about is a burning sensation that consumes your entire being. He couldn't possibly risk repeating that. Losing a supporter, a friend, and a companion. But what else was there to do?

"Fine, do it," he announced his decision. Seeing their twinkling eyes painted with wickedness, he added while rolling his eyes, "But carefully."

"Well, that settles it," Zaroon straightened his back, cracked his knuckles, and dialed their head of security as Rabail pulled her phone from her bag and typed briskly. They seemed to be waiting for nothing more than his approval before launching their individual nefarious schemes to bring the hidden devils to justice.

"So, who do we have to 'pick up' ?" Clearing his throat, Rayyan asked.

With no delay, Rabail and Zaroon scanned the list of people on the table, marking some names, cutting some off, and adding some.

"Roughly 15 to 50-" Zaroon started off

"Potentially everyone." Rabail glanced at Rayyan with a small smile playing on her lips. Surely, Rayyan was gobsmacked hearing the number, so the best course of action for them to not let him back out- be nice and convincing, Rabail.

"That's absurd," Hearing this Rayyan trailed off with hesitance and uncertainty.

"So we are doing it?" Zaroon chipped in after briefing their head of security and his brother over text. But, knowing his father, who was not a man for violence, he didn't let him open his mouth to add more to their already filled-up metaphoric plates, "Abso-bloody-lutely, right, Abbu?"

"I believe we sh-"

"You can see he thinks it's the best," He was interrupted by Rabail since she had known Rayyan for a very long time. He is a good man and a gentleman. One who would sacrifice everything for his people. Even though what they stood for was absolutely right, perhaps their methods were too severe for him to understand at this time. Then again, wasn't he a sweetheart? So long as sweethearts have a soft spot for you, sweethearts are always simple to persuade.

"So, off we pop to our tasks," gesturing with his hands, he shooed Rayyan and Rabail while they could only roll their eyes at him.

After about an hour, their hands began to pick up the files and papers as they engaged in light conversation. The men followed closely behind her to escort her to the door. Rayyan stopped and scratched his brow with his thumb as she turned to say goodbye.

"On a scale of one to ten, how bad could the situation go?"

Passing a glance at each other, Rabail and Zaroon tried to prepare their answer.

"You want the actual figure?" Zaroon asked as he leaned his shoulder on one of the wooden doors of the library.

"Or a rough one?" Rabail added.

"Give me the god damn figure," Rayyan growled

"At least a twenty,"

"'Off the roof' might be the right figure," Both voiced out as Rayyan could only gape at them looking so nonchalant. He couldn't with these two! Walking back to his table, Rayyan was mumbling under his breath. Seeing it as her time to depart, Rabail walked out of the library with Zaroon soon falling behind her. Steps in sync.

As they descended the stairs, Zaroon remarked of their plan of action, "We might come across as lunatics." Two staircases flowed down in a circle in the central hall. It included creme-colored designs and marbles with a tortilla hue texture. Some tables in the grand hall were set with beautiful vases and glassware. Fresh lilies that had been artfully placed throughout the space filled the air with a delicate smell. The couches were deftly positioned about as a waiting space for the visitors.

She stopped to just pivot in her heels as she lightly chuckled at his words, saying, "We just happen to be some lunatics making a difference." Her chin was raised to look at him from her height, and her nude-colored lips were dancing with a telltale smile. As the June sun set on them, he looked ahead to their time working. Again. 

𝄗𝄗𝄗𝄗♞𝄗𝄗𝄗𝄗

Glossary:

i. Beta: My child

ii. Fuego: Fire (Spanish)

iii. Abbu: Dad 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

74.7K 5.4K 35
Anubhav Singh,the heartless,arrogant and egoistic DSP of Lucknow and an IB agent goes to Rajasthan to arrest the smugglers of Illegal weapons. Haseen...
264K 12.1K 19
"Books don't just go with you, they take you where you've never been." So here's a ride for you which will take you to the places you'd only dreamt a...
671K 36.8K 27
• Twice Wattpad Featured • #1 in Spiritual • The moon hid behind the clouds, the wind refused to blow and the mountains trembled at the sight in fron...
99.5K 1.6K 13
[Under Editing] *Ruthless Mafia x innocent girl* Sheza Khan youngest daughter of Kabir Khan, a minor gangster. . She is eighteen years old. She is a...