COTE: Last Elite Standing

By Kawaii_Lumine

4 classes are pitted against each other in a life or death situation! And while most students are winning to... More

Episode 0: ..........
Episode 1: Hell under the guise of ' Paradise'.
Episode 2: Game 1: Protect the murderer!
Episode 3: Ayanokoji hates this game!
Episode 4: Recklessness...
Episode 5: Days...and days.....until...?
Episode 6: The traitor is none other than Ayanokoji Kiyotaka!
Episode 6.5: A game between the Director and Ayanokoji?
Episode 7: Outcast.
Episode 8: Conversation with my adversaries..
Episode 9: Truth or Lies
Episode 10: Broken Bond.
Episode 11: Suzune and Kikyo
Episode 12: Hope?
Episode 13: Victory within reach
Episode 14: Perfect Victory
Episode 15: He who assumes the role....
S2. Episode 0: Human
S2. Episode 1: Welcome to London!
S2. Episode 2: Survey....
S2. Episode 3: Nagumo Miyabi.
S2. Episode 4: Everybody hates you, Horikita
S2. Episode 5:Tell me, Ayanokoji-kun....
S2. Episode 6: Mirror.
S2. Episode 8: Choose your truth.
S2. Episode 9: Does the Devil exist?
S2. Episode 10: The Third Game...
S3. Episode 0: Family.
S3. Episode 1: The line between Ally and Foe
S3. Episode 2: The inflatable bed.

S2. Episode 7: A different ' him'

1.9K 112 71
By Kawaii_Lumine

Nagumo PoV

( 3 am )

" Nagumo? What are you doing here?" Kazumi inquired as I approached the three of them. Her, Ichinose, and Kiyotaka. They were just about to leave for the airport.

" Senpai? Come to to say farewell to us?" Ichinose smiles.

I ignored the both of them and headed straight to Kiyotaka. There was something I wanted to give him before we part temporarily. I can feel Ichinose and Kazumi's curious gazes staring holes behind my back as I neared my target. Kiyotaka notices me and lets go of his bag, hearing it plop on the ground next to him as he turned to me with a questioning gaze.

" Miyabi-senpai. " He greets me.

" Kiyotaka," I stopped in front of him. I looked towards the car behind him before shifting my gaze back to him. " Apologies for slightly delaying your departure, but I have something I'd like to give you as a parting gift."

He cocks a brow and tilts his head silently waiting.

I took something out from my pocket, his eyes widened a bit in recognition of the thin object. I showed it to him and his gaze lingered on it in confusion before shifting back to me.

" The King of Spades? You're going to give that card to me?" He asked.

I nodded and handed it to him. He accepted it and glanced at it before he looked back to me again. " Why?" He had asked.

" Because....." I released a sigh before continuing, " Do you know the reason you lie to yourself?" I asked.

" Because I am dissatisfied with who I am." he answered. It was the right answer. No, it was the only answer we both knew.

" That's right." I nod. " People lie to themselves and to others in order to gain what they desire. Approval, reputation, reliability, trust, and change. People often lie so others can have a reason to like them. But....that's not true. Not at all. Do you know why?" I ask.

" I've already answered that, didn't I? I lie to myself because I am dissatisfied with who I am. This also applies to others....to the majority who lie." Kiyotaka answers effortlessly.

I grinned. " I'm just making sure that you're catching on."

He nods slowly in understanding.  People lie to others and to themselves to gain approval from others. But where does that approval go? Whom does it affect? The answer is already there. It affects the person who decided to lie. People lie to feel better about themselves because humans....in their deepest core....are very competitive creatures. If you lose too much, you begin to hate yourself. If you win too much, the effects will remain strong in the long run and you'll develop a sense of confidence and love for yourself.

People who tend to lose will always envy those who tend to win.

" Senpai, are you perhaps implying that I'm a loser?" He asked me.

" What do you think?" I asked back.

He was silent for a moment. Seemingly, contemplating, analyzing my current choice of words. But it wasn't for long until he began to speak once more, this time his tone  wasn't blank, instead it was filled to the brim with subtle confidence, assurance, and honesty.

" I don't think I am. " He said. " But if I was, then my motive to win will be even stronger. Those who tend to win will never know the meaning of what it's like to lose but they will continue to harbor a fear of it and thus continue winning. On the other hand, the losers, never knew the taste of victory and that fact inspires them even more to improve and win in the future. Because they're tired of losing. In that sense, even if I were this one or that, nothing will change. Do you know why?" He asks me.

" Because in the end, whether or not you are a natural-born winner or a natural-born loser....." I looked deep into his gaze. " You will always strive to achieve victory. Because that's human nature, correct?" I answered.

" Spot-on." He replies.

I chuckled before adding one more thing to say, " That card. Keep it with you, always. Until you feel the need to tear it."

His brows furrowed at my words, " Feel the need to tear it? Why? And when?"

" That card represents who you are at heart. You're confused with yourself. You have a sense of direction, but what location are you trying to arrive to? You don't know. And that's because you have no true understanding of your heart. " I then took out my own card. The king of clubs.

" This card. My card, the King of Clubs, it represents strength, power, and confidence. The three qualities that make up a leader. I'm satisfied with who I am, and that's why I personally do not feel the need to tear my card." I then place the card back in my pocket.

" But you are not content with yours. When you finally find yourself, when you truly feel satisfied with the person you've become. You can tear the card and start anew, or keep it as a reminder of how far you've changed. I know you dislike lying to yourself, Kiyotaka." I sighed again, " And for one to change, it takes an unmeasurable amount of effort in searching.......but in the end it'll be worth it. So continue defying your own trickery. Continue your path to change." I encouraged him.

It was silent between us as he gazed at his card with a look I couldn't see through. He stuffs the card gently in his pocket before nodding to me. " Sure, I'll remember that. Thank you, Miyabi-senpai."

" Just Miyabi is fine." I reminded him. I had no need of honorifics when it came to him.

" Right, thank you, Miyabi." He quickly corrected.

He and I then settled for a quick handshake as the final farewell or ' see you later'. We then hear a loud yawn from behind me, her figure approaching between us with a tired look.

" Are you two done yet?" Kazumi asked. " Can we please get going? The two of you can have you BL moment some other time." She grumbles.

" BL?" Both Kiyotaka and I questioned at the same time.

" Huh? You two don't...? " She looked suprised herself.

What in the world is BL?

Kazumi then frantically waves her hand in a dismissive manner as soon as her composure returned, " Ah, whatever. Forget about what I just said. " She quickly says, " So are you two done now?" She asked again, changing the direction of conversation.

" If Miyabi-senpai no longer has anything he wishes to declare to me." Kiyotaka answers, giving me a side-eye.

" My business is done." I confirmed. " I've said all I needed to say. I apologize for delaying your departure, Kazumi-san." I bowed my head apologetically before leaving the both of them.

" Let's go?" I hear Kazumi say.

" Yeah." I hear Kiyotaka respond.

I assume they were packing their bags in the car now. As I approached the elevator, I quickly realized that there was one other person who hasn't moved from her position ever since I had arrived. It was Ichinose.

I stopped as soon as her smile aimed towards me in delight.

She approaches me, laying her hand out for a handshake.

" Till next time, Nagumo-senpai~" She says.

I accepted her handshake and shook hands with her. 

" You didn't spill any revelations to Ayanokoji-kun, yes?" She asked me and stared me dead in the eye.

" Revelations?" I parroted in question.

I was then reminded of the game between me and him that was taken place a mere few hours ago.....

I chuckled after forming my response in my head.

" If anything, it was him, who had spilled some big revelations to me." I said.

Ichinose's eyes narrowed in suspicion but she commented no further. This was one of the few rare times where she isn't hiding behind a mask. If only she acted like her true self instead of following a murderer's ideals. Then she'd prove to be an interesting person to have an alliance with, similar to Kiyotaka.....but she already chose her path and the path she chose differs to mine greatly. 

" Farewell and good luck, Ichinose." I said.

" Thank you, senpai." She replies before picking up her bag and walking past me. I glanced back at her departing figure for a moment before quickly turning my attention to the elevator. I intended to return to my room as of now and take a bit more rest.

------------------------------------------------------

I arrived to my room.

I plopped onto my bed, hastily pulling up the covers as I laid down on my side. I wasn't usually this sleepy, in fact, I'm well-versed in staying up and not sleeping for a few days and still remain energized somewhat.....however, on this particular morning, I felt oddly tired.

I am in need of much needed rest....

Knock! 

Knock!

Knock!

I sighed to myself. The incessant knocking from the door didn't seem like it was going to stop anytime soon. There's only one person I know who has the gall to bother me at 3:10 in the morning. I really wanted to ignore and buzz off but it's better if I humor her now rather than later. With that in mind, I slowly got up from my bed and approached the door.

I opened it. " Asahina, what're you doing still up?"

" Did you seriously give away 600 of our class points to-"

" Wah!" Asahina squealed in suprise when I interrupted her by grabbing her wrist and pulling her inside my room. I quickly closed the door and she looked at me with a bewildered expression. ' What the he?' ' Why did you do that?' ' You could've just warned me!' were probably her thoughts, but she already knew better than to waste time asking that.

Wordlessly, with a flick of my hand, I gestured her to follow me to the living room. She did just that and we both arrived to the couch and sat down.

" To answer your question, " I spoke, " You are correct. I did just that." I confirmed.

" HAH?!" Her face morphed into an expression that expressed even more shock. " N-No way?! But why? HOW?"

" I didn't even think it was possible!" She cried out. Her usual calm and teasing manner flying out the window due to the sheer disbelief.

" Neither did I." I have thought about it too, but I was naive  enough to dismiss the idea as soon as it popped in my head. A fault of mine. " But Kiyotaka proved it and thus, here we are." I said.

" But.....how did he...come to such an idea?" Asahina mumbles.

" Figure it out. You're smart too, anyways." I crossed my arms.

" Hmm...." She got into her usual thinking pose. Scrunching her eye brows and placing her thumb and index on her bottom lip as she began her thinking process. It's a habit of hers that I'd called her out on in the past far too many times and each time, she always gets embarrassed about it. But.....ever since....we changed. This just became natural. There was no need for me to call her out on it, nor does she find the need to be embarrassed about a habit such as this.

" Could it be....." She murmured the rest of the words. They were indecipherable. She oughta speak up.

" Hm?" I made a sound to grab her attention. She snapped out of her trance and looked to me with a serious gaze. Something has hit her. " Could it be that Ayanokoji-kun found a loop hole by revisiting the S-system explanation?"

I silently waited for her to continue.

" Like," She begins making random gestures. " There are two types of points. Private points for the individual purposes and Class points for the entire class as a whole. 1 class point is equal to 100 private points. And we are also free to send private points to another person if we choose to...." She then snaps her fingers.

" That's it! This must be it!" She says.

" Hm?" Amused, I tilted my head in question.

" Back to the class point and private point thing. It's been stated that one class point is equal to 100 private points. A Class Point is still a point in this school but of a different kind, additionally, the school never explicitly denied the possibility of Class Points being used as some sort of currency. Currency such as private points have the ability of point transfer in case you plan to give away an amount to another person. So if we begin to think that the same goes for Class Points....then it only makes sense that it's also transferrable. However...."

" What?" I asked.

She looks to me again with a puzzled look. "How would you gain control of the class points? We were never given any authority to manage it whatsoever. So that would easily debunk the theory of it being transferrable....unless......."

Her mind lead her to one name. The only name who holds the power of manipulating our class points if she wishes to.

The name of that grey haired woman with the same colored eyes equal to her strands. 

" Correct, " I decided to confirm it early. " We called for Kazumi's assistance."

" I see...." She sighs. It was exactly as she'd thought.

" I've thought of the same idea once. But I never thought it would work.....there were so many factors that led me to assume that it'd be a waste of time to test it out. However, Kiyotaka felt otherwise and decided to push through. And it was well worth it, since it gave him his biggest confirmation yet. And nobody else knows except for him, you, and me." I said.

Asahina then chuckles, " So how did Kazumi-san take it? I assume she was shocked?"

I nodded. " She almost didn't want to try it at all, but after persistent persuasion, she gave in and made a call to.....that woman." I didn't dare say the devil's name. I didn't want to be filled with hate right now.

" I see..." Asahina nods in understanding, " One thing still doesn't make sense to me though. "

" Hm?"

" Why would you humor Ayanokoji-kun this way? I thought you simply wanted a talk and a proposal for an alliance...that was rejected. I didn't think you felt obligated to send him 600 class points.....or at the very least, entertaining his little theory that is now proven to be true." She asked.

I wagged my index finger. " Simple. I lost a game to him."

" Huh?"

I placed my finger down. " He challenged me to a game that guaranteed his win. It was sneaky, I must admit. And I knew I shouldn't have accepted but the proposal was just so intriguing.....it'd be a waste to pass up such an opportunity to see a glimpse of how Kiyotaka works." I said.

" It was worth it. A mutual information exchange." I said with content.

" I...." Asahina pauses as if she was still processing my intentions or ulterior motives, but then released a slow sigh. " I see." She accepted my answer.

" Can I ask one more question though?" She says after a moment of silence.

I nodded.

" I saw your farewell to Ayanokoji a while ago. Why'd you do that?" She asks.

It seems to me that Asahina suspects me of an ulterior motive in saying my farewells to Kiyotaka. Rather than assuming like most other people that I'm simply wishing farewell and good luck to my kouhai, she detects a more hidden motive in seeing me make the effort to say something before our paths separate temporarily. So this is why she was still up. She was watching the entire time.

" You find it strange?"

" I find everything you do strange these days, Nagumo." She deadpanned.

" I suppose you're right..." I muse. She calls me strange but we both know that it's become natural in our relationship. If there is one person I can trust to a certain extent, then it'd be the woman right next to me.

" Well, to answer you.......hm...." I look towards the lamp with strange interest. " There's just something that's been.....bothering me for a while."

" What's that?" She asks.

" Kiyotaka. During the time we played his little game, everything about him, the entire situation felt strange. That's probably one of the reasons I decided to humor him, because I wanted to discover myself what that feeling was trying to convey. Even now, I feel as though I can only speak in the vaguest of terms about it." I said.

" Mind telling me?" She asks, sounding interested.

I looked into her curious eyes. I noticed something about our position. We were quite close to each other physically. I was already aware that Asahina had the looks, but I severely underestimated how beautiful she actually is until now where I can see her up close.

Now, time to rid myself of such a useless thought. I begin to explain to her.

" To put it in a way that's the most understandable;  There were tiny subtle changes in Kiyotaka that could prove something major is about to happen. His demeanor, his tone, his eyes, his choice of words......these subtle changes had occurred during my observation. You might not notice at first, but if you already got an idea of how he is and saw what I saw then you would also be led to the same way of thinking. Something about him shifted. " I said.

" Is that....a good thing? or a bad thing?" 

" That's the question I'm most worried about." I didn't sugarcoat it. I turned away from her and focused my gaze on the card box on the table. " Maybe he changed.....or perhaps he might have reverted back to something. I'm not sure."

" well, whatever it is......you can do something about it, right?" She asks slowly.

" Don't expect me to stop all the catastrophes, Asahina. I'm still a human, after all. I'm not invincible nor am I powerful enough to shut down a mysterious force. " I sigh. " The best I could do is hope and wait until the time our paths connect again. By then, I'm hoping the odds are within our favor."

" I have faith in you, Nagumo." She said.

" Don't rely on it--"

" Even if we fail, " I then felt her warm hand grab mine. I flinched a bit and looked to her with slight apprehensiveness but she looked at me with a warm smile. " Even if we fail, I'll always have your back." 

......

I then felt her intertwine our hands.

I looked down towards our hands before looking back to her. Only one question was in my mind.

" Why?" She read my thoughts and intercepted the conversation before I had the chance to utter it. 

" Simple;  You saved my life." She answers truthfully. " And you're the strongest person I know." She adds.

....

Asahina has always been by my side ever since that heinous day. Her loyalty to me after that day knew no bounds. She did what I asked with little to no hesitation, her trust in me is unwavering. Her patience with me is second to none and.......the warmth she provides me after I've turned cold. Nobody else can do that but her.

My one true ally is her. It's always been her ever since.

I cracked a small smile. " Thank you, Asahina." I was serious. She quelled my doubt. She nods to my small gratitude with the same smile. " No problem." She says.

We then let go of each other's hands. But I could still feel the effects of her warmth.

" I have another question to ask you, Asahina."

" Shoot."

" What's BL?"

"........Eh?......"

-------------------------------------------------------------

Horikita PoV

( Monday morning )

" 600 class points....could you believe it!" Kikyo told me with a happy tone.

" Maybe Ayanokoji pulled something off from the other side?" Sudo-kun interjects. Even he seems to believe in Ayanokoji a lot more now.

" I'm a bit skeptical to be quite honest..." Matsushita shares her opinion.

" I don't know Ayanokoji-kun that much besides him being unexpectedly smart and also boring.....but I'm going to side with Sudo-kun's words." Karuizawa adds. 

" Suprisingly enough, I agree. It's highly likely that Ayanokoji-kun has something to do with this." I said my thoughts on the matter.

Suprisingly enough, during break time in the morning classes, I was currently in a discussion with the three main priorities. Sudo, Matsushita, and Karuizawa. Of course, Kikyo is also with me for the ride. I don't know what compelled these three to come directly to me regarding the suprising news.....but somehow I didn't really mind it all that much. 

" Ayanokoji-kun really is an amazing person..." Kikyo says.

" But he's scary too, isn't he?" Karuizawa shivers as she said that. " His lack of expression is  unnerving me!"

While that is true, it'd be much stranger if Ayanokoji-kun showed a strong facial expression that gives away his emotions......like that time he beat up Sudo-kun.......that small smile still keeps me on my toes.

" I can understand that, Karuizawa-san. I felt the same way too back then....but Ayanokoji-kun is not a bad person! I'm sure of it." Kikyo says, " He's scary because he cares!" 

Do you really believe that, Kikyo?

Or is this your attempt at convincing yourself that he's not all ' bad'?

" Well....whether or not he's a good guy or a bad guy.....I just hope he'll keep his promise." Karuizawa mutters.

" I agree with that." Matsushita says. Sudo also nods along.

I have no reason to doubt that as long as its within Ayanokoji-kun's interest, he will continue to lead us until his goal is achieved.

Otherwise, he might've already decided to drop us.

I looked towards the time. The next class is about to begin. I looked towards my groupmates.

" You should all return to your seats now. Class is about to begin. If you wish, we can discuss further about the matter at a later time." I said to them. They nodded to me and left without making a fuss.

I sigh to myself. I leaned my cheek on the palm of my hand as I stared at my group report updates on my desk.

------------------------------------------------------------------

( 12:30 pm )

After eating lunch with Kikyo, we were currently making our way back to the classroom. At this time, the classroom should still be empty since most students would be back by 12:45 and even the loners don't meander here for their entire lunch break. Well, that's also due to the fact that the usual outcasts or loners in our class have gotten quite used to their groupmates and from what's been reported to me, several of them had formed friendships by now.

That's good. This is good overall class progress.

" Ayanokoji-kun should be back by now, right?" Kikyo asked me as we walked.

" That should be the case. But he might be back a lot later than expected, who knows? After having arrived back to Japan. There's bound to be traffic." I said.

" Mhm....fair point." Kikyo nods with her hands resting behind her waist.

I wonder what Ayanokoji-kun has gathered during his stay in London....

Well, it's clear that he must've done something. You don't just gain 600 class points out of nowhere and make it seem like someone from our class had done it while he was away. Ayanokoji is the only lead. The only answer to something like this.

But I'm curious as to what else he might've uncovered.

Kikyo and I arrived to the door of our classroom and I quickly slid it open but then we were met with a suprising presence in the supposed to be empty class.

Both Kikyo and I gasp.

" Ayanokoji-kun?" Both her and I said in unison with the same tone of suprise.

He was there. Standing by my desk and holding up the stacks of paper that contained all the group report updates. He'd been reading it while we were eating?

Kikyo and I silently glanced to each other before stepping inside and sliding the door close. We stared at him but he's yet to return our looks, he looked blank as he read the report papers. And because of that, I instinctively began biting my lip. I felt nervous, something within me was wavering, a feeling that simulated dread perhaps.

Is he....disappointed? I wondered.

Even Kikyo didn't say anything. I can tell she was nervous too. Nervous for me, mainly. Her eyes give it away after all, she's always been genuine. But I already did the best my mind could come up with, I reunited our group, fortified it with Kikyo's assistance......was that not the right to do? Did Ayanokoji-kun plan for something else? No, that's blasphemous to even think since he, himself, was the one who instructed me to bring this group together prior to his departure. Could it be that he expected better results?

Ayanokoji-kun, you're killing me. 

Say something....

Finally, as if hearing my thoughts. His head turned to us, his eyes staring to the both of us with a message I couldn't understand. He places the paper back on my table, returning it to its previous neatly stacked position. 

He then began walking towards us.....

He stood in front of us.

I took deep breaths.

Why did the air felt suffocating? 

My fear of him....it's even greater than what I initially thought.

" Good job, Horikita...." I suddenly felt a palm softly caressing the top of my head. My breath hitched and I looked up slightly to his expression. But I was met with an even more suprising view....

His lips curled up softly.

Was that....a smile?

" You really did good. The progress reports are amazing." he said. Even his words felt wrong, his tone sounded so light.....

" Ayanokoji-kun....you really think so?!" Kikyo snapped out of her trance and exclaimed as if she was speaking to a ghost.

Ayanokoji lifts his palm away from my head and turned to face Kikyo with the same soft smile. " Yeah, it'd be a lie to say otherwise." He says.

" Phew.....I'm relieved...." Kikyo places her hand on her chest and releases a sigh of relief. Does she not see what I'm seeing? Or is she ignoring it and thinking nothing of it?

But my thoughts were answered when Kikyo gave me a look with a message that said ' this is weird.' 

So she finds this obviously strange too.

" I apologize for leaving you under all this pressure, Horikita." Ayanokoji.....bows his head lightly? " Rest assured, from here on out, I'll be the one holding  onto the reins. But during times where I need someone else to take the reins, I'll be relying on you if that's okay."

" Sure...." I didn't know what else to say. I was too flabbergasted by this sudden 180 of a shift. The contrast of this Ayanokoji and the one before the trip was like night and day.....

What in the world happened?

Why-- no, wait. Hold that thought. There's another question that needs to be answered right now.

" Ayanokoji-kun, were you responsible for the 600 class points?" I asked.

" Who else? " He points to himself in a confident manner, confirming my thoughts.

What's with his demeanor......ugh, this feels so.......un-Ayanokoji-kun of a thing to do.

" How?" I asked him.

" Hm...." He looks to the side for a moment, " How long do you think the three of us have before the rest of the students arrive?" He asked.

" About 10 minutes right now." I told him.

His eyes then returned to my direction. " Very well, I'll explain the summary of how things went during my stay." He says before showing us our seats, " The two of you, please sit. This should be kept solely between the three of us."

The three of us?

What's with the sudden tension of confidentiality?  I narrowed my gaze before Kikyo pulled me to the seats and had me sit down before I could do anything. Ayanokoji gave Kikyo a small nod of gratitude before taking a seat himself and Kikyo soon following. It was me and Kikyo facing him, who was the opposite side of the table.

" Well then, let's recount what I found out...." he began to tell us.....

------------------------------------------------------------

Kushida PoV

" And that's about it." Ayanokoji-kun concluded.

All of that.......it was so much to take in. Nagumo-senpai? Fourth year student Tachibana? The lack of third year students? 

All the classes from the second year under Nagumo-senpai's command? And Ayanokoji-kun also confessed to us the method of how he managed to to grab 600 class points.......to think that even class points were transferrable....it's.....wow...

I was amazed by the amount of information Ayanokoji-kun gathered within the week. But he also told us that Ichinose-san also knows most of the stuff he's told us because if it weren't for her active moves, then the opportunities wouldn't have shined kindly to him. At the very least, Ayanokoji-kun seems certain that even Ichinose-san is not aware of class points being transferrable.

" That's.....amazing, Ayanokoji-kun!" I said with sincerity.

He nodded to me. " Thank you. And once again, I'd like to congratulate you and Horikita's efforts in bringing the main priorities together. " He said....sounding genuine.

This is so strange.....Ayanokoji-kun is saying such strange things....with a not-so-Ayanokoji-kun type of tone......

Yet weirdly enough, it made me incredibly happy....

" So you met.....the man who killed my brother?" Suzune-chan spoke. I looked to her and Ayanokoji-kun did the same.

"Mmm." Ayanokoji-kun gave a confirmation hum.

Oh no....  I noticed Suzune-chan dripping the edge of the table quite tightly.

" .....What's he like...?" She asked.

" He seemed quite decent." Ayanokoji-kun answered within a heart beat.

" DECENT?!" The chair screeched back as Suzune stood up, gripping the edges of the table and her eyes clearly conveying nothing but pure anger. 

"S-Suzune-chan! Calm down! " I too began standing up, ready to comfort her and calm her down before things get--

" He is quite a decent man. He's a good person to have a conversation with over a nice cup of tea." Ayanokoji-kun adds.

" WHAT?!" Suzune-chan yells and leans over the table, her eyes glaring into Ayanokoji-kun's now indifferent ones. " HE KILLED A MAN? MY BROTHER! AND YOU'RE TELLING ME HE'S A DECENT GUY?" She yells.

I quickly got behind her and wrapped my arms around her torso, holding her back. I was afraid she might lunge at Ayanokoji-kun or something!

" That's exactly what I'm telling you. If you were there with me, then you'd understand why I'm saying this--" But he was interrupted.

" IF I WERE THERE WITH YOU, THEN THAT MAN WOULDN'T BE ALIVE!" She spoke with venom.

" Suzune-chan! Please, please keep your cool!" I begged. I knew it was wrong of me to ask, after all, she was still sensitive about this. But acting too much on your emotions and risking wrong decisions is not the way to go.

" Tch...." Suzune scoffs and her movements came to a halt. I relaxed my hold on her.

" Will you settle down, Horikita?" Ayanokoji-kun spoke with the same weird light tone he'd been using since he arrived.

" That was my fault for goading you on with such a thing. " He rests his chin on both his palms. " I was just curious to see how much it'd still affect you."

" Huh?" Suzune-chan utters a suprised sound.

" While I did indeed meet Nagumo-senpai and I do understand your anger and hatred towards him. My own opinion of him is still at a neutral stance. But the undeniable fact remains that if it weren't for him accepting my challenge, our class wouldn't have received 600 class points to make up for the exact negatives we were previously under after the second game. I'm grateful for that." he said.

That's right....

Ayanokoji-kun was always the type of person who considered  both sides.....he always pieced together the true story before making any sort of judgement. He was blunt with it too. And he doesn't care about worthless things unless they are of use.....

Suzune-chan knew very well of this fact too. Thus, she began to take deep breaths and calmed herself down. I finally let her go once she sat back down on her seat.

" ....Sorry for yelling." Suzune apologizes. " That was....not mature of me to do." She admits before sighing, " Sometimes I do envy your calm analytical way of viewing things. Nothing seems to affect you, Ayanokoji-kun--"

Suddenly, Ayanokoji-kun interrupts with a much more serious tone.

" All humans are affected by something. Including myself. Tragedies and Success are the two different yet similar concepts that provides a choice for what a person should do next. Should one act cold and fortify themselves with the cost of slowly losing the person you once were? Or should one act on their emotions and make brash decisions within that very moment and then cloud their futures with uncertainty......or should one remain neutral of everything that happens to them and move based on logic. None of these will truly become the definitive answer because each answer provides different benefits for different people in these same situations. But with  your tragedy, Horikita, you must use it as your decisive marker. Let it affect you. Don't shun from it and don't ever forget about it. That way, you will then experience the true concept of ' Success'." he says.

"....." Suzune and I were stunned in silence.

Ayanokoji-kun's words....he meant them. He seriously meant them. It felt moving for me, personally, but I also think it opened another view for Suzune-chan as well. What he says makes sense. Nobody can ever truly act the same, when different people are placed in the same tragic circumstances. They have their own ways to deal and cope with it. Their own ways to move on.

Ayanokoji-kun said all that as if meaning to convey to Suzune-chan that she shouldn't envy his way of thinking. That she should always follow what she believes in at inner most parts of her heart. And decide from there.

" Anyways, let's lighten up the mood, hm?" Ayanokoji-kun as if having flipped a switch, his soft warm gaze returned. 

" Our classmates should be here soon. I've yet to greet them." Ayanokoji-kun says and leans back on his chair, " It'd be troublesome for us if they see the three of us in such a silent and gloomy mood. The one thing we don't want is them worrying too much. It's much more beneficial if they continue as they are until I deem otherwise." He said.

" Is that why you only wanted me and Suzune-chan to hear about this, Ayanokoji-kun?" I suddenly spoke because an answer just hit me. " You refuse to tell the others as to not have them fret over the warning signs and lose focus. This is your way of making sure our class morale doesn't drop down again, right?" I asked.

" Correct." Ayanokoji-kun nods.

I smiled. " Then you also told us these things because you trust us with this information, right?" I asked with a hopeful tone.

" No." He denies.

" Eh?" I was confused now.

" That's not the answer, Kikyo...." Suzune spoke.

I look towards her and she glanced to me. 

" The reason Ayanokoji-kun told us these things was because he's putting leashes on us."

" W-What...?" I stuttered.

Suzune looks to Ayanokoji-kun. 

" You kept it confidential between the three of us because if ever such information leaks, then you'd already have your main suspects. Additionally, aside from the imaginary leash you put on us, you also lowered the chances of information like this ever leaking by not sharing it to everyone  because if the whole class knew, then it'd be annoying for you to manage a situation like that entirely and pinpoint the exact traitor if there ever is any. You didn't do this because you trust us. You did this because you don't, and you'd like to have safety measures in place. Am I correct?" Suzune explained calmly.

" Correct." Ayanokoji-kun says.

" But.....I think it's important for everyone to know, right? I understand your reasons, but--" I was interrupted by Suzune chan.

" No. That would just be problematic. Think of it like this;  If the all the country's governments were to spill controversial secrets to its people. Do you think the people will act calmly?  They wouldn't. They'd begin to create ideas derived from those secrets and slowly the interpretation of the secrets get worse and worse until the government is eventually ousted by the people they were entrusted to. " Suzune says.

" The less people know, the less chance that problems will occur." Ayanokoji-kun adds before looking at me. " You have to understand that, Kushida. I'm ultimately doing this for the class regardless of how immoral my actions may be. " He says.

".....Okay...." I conceded.

I thought it'd be better if our classmates knew, but the odds are too great for us to even think of making risky moves. Our class is making good progress but it's far from perfect. No matter how optimistic I act, I can still feel the hidden mistrust within our class, so I can see now why Suzune and Ayanokoji-kun are saying these things.

I just....have to trust this for now. Ayanokoji-kun is our leader.

" Anyways, let's discuss more about the group matters at a later time. Someone is about to arrive through the door." Ayanokoji-kun says.

As if on cue, the door slid open and Ayanokoji-kun's expectations became reality.....however, there was one wrong calculation.

It wasn't just one person.

It was half the class.

" Ayanokoji's back!" They yelled.

Ayanokoji-kun's eyes widened in slight suprised before they went back to their relaxed state. He stood up and waved to them, not in a blank manner, but to our suprise his wave seemed more.....Hirata-like?

" Hello everyone. I read the reports from Horikita. I'm quite happy that everyone is doing well within their respective groups." He said with.....another soft smile?!

" HE'S SMILING?! WHAT THE FU--"

-----------------------------------------

( Much later.......at like dismissal time......4pm......at the library. This chapter is about to be finished in like 5 mins--)

Horikita PoV

" Are you seriously okay, dude?" Sudo interrogated with narrowed eyes. 

" Hm? Of course I am. " Ayanokoji shrugs. " Why? Is it because of the way I'm acting--"

" IT'S EXACTLY BECAUSE OF THE WAY YOU'RE ACTING!" Sudo yells.

" Shhhh!" The librarian glares at our table and Sudo bowed apologetically before sitting back down. I sigh to myself, there's still a long way to go in training his emotional resistance.

" Settle down, Sudo-kun...." Matsushita sighs.

" Right, right...sorry..." he mumbles.

" Hm...I suppose people will find it strange with the way I'm acting now. But I guess my only explanation is that a new door opened for me during my stay in London." Ayanokoji explains.

" Really? You changed that quickly...?" Karuizawa sounded confused. I wonder if she is doubting his explanation. After all, it's difficult to change how one person acts within  a week's time. Change to the point where you feel like an entirely different person. She knows that. And she took her time with it.

" Mhm." Ayanokoji hums in confirmation before glancing at our study material. " Is this the topics needed to be covered for the midterms?" He asks.

I raised a brow. " of course it is." I said.

" Hmm...." He then looks towards the other occupied tables in the library. A few study groups from different classes were using the library as well, but unlike ours, they were rather quiet,

" I see..." Ayanokoji mumbles.

Hondo and Ijuin were still silent. Sometimes I honestly forget they were present in this table. The two of them only talk to me when needed and they usually go into their own conversations which results in a slower output time. They haven't said anything to Ayanokoji yet. I wonder if they're still stuck with the traitor impression they have of Ayanokoji during the first game. I hope it isn't too deep-seeded into their beings, because that would provide issues.

" Horikita, can you help me with this part? I still don't get how it works." Sudo points to a math problem.

" Sure." I said.

" Matsushita.....help...." I hear Karuizawa whisper to Matushita-san.

" Eh? Again?" Matsushita sighs before going to Karuizawa-san's side anyways and helping her friend with her work.

Meanwhile, Kushida-san carefully observed Ijuin and Hondo's working and encouraging them to talk less and work more in this session so they could show me better results.

Suddenly, I hear a chair moving back. I looked up from Sudo's paper and see that Ayanokoji-kun stood up, hands in his pocket.

" I'd best be going. Do continue doing your best in this group, everyone. And I'll do the same from my end." Ayanokoji says.

" Sure." Everyone said.

" Where are you going?" I asked him.

" I want to take a bit of rest." He points a finger to his head. " I still feel a bit of jet lag. It hasn't gone away yet and I think rest will do me good."

" Oh, you should've said so earlier, Ayanokoji-kun! Nobody would've mind...." Kikyo immediately said.

" Nah. Don't worry about it. I wanted to personally oversee what the other groups were doing before taking rest. Anyways," He turns around and heads for the library exit, " I'll see you all tomorrow."

" See you, Ayanokoji-kun...." I mumbled while Kikyo waved politely.

.....

I still can't get over with the way he sounds and acts now.....

It's like....a very different ' him'.

I've been thinking that a lot, and it's hard to force out of my head....

---------------------------------------------------

Chabashira PoV

My name is Chabashira Sae.

For a long time, I've made many regrets. Many choices I wished to redo.

But....my worst choice? Was letting myself be manipulated by that scum director.

I thought.....she was my friend.

I thought she was the first decent person in my life after my time in high school.

But I was wrong.

She pulled the rug under me, under everyone else, and became the worst person in my entire lifetime.

And it doesn't help the fact that I, indirectly or not, have contributed to it....

I hate myself for it.

Because of such a mistake, I've sold my entire life to keep myself afloat.

But in exchange for that selfish purpose, I put many of my past students in danger.....and eventually they reached death.

So because of my mistakes, because of my selfishness, I now stand afloat on top of their corpses.

This school.....is an environment that destroys good-willed people.

She turned it like this.

.....

........

I let her.

I let her.I let her. I let her. I let her.

I let it happen. I remind myself of that every single day....

My students, who have long passed, I am sorry. I am so sorry. I'm such a selfish teacher. A stupid teacher. I failed you all....I'm so....so....so....sorry....

....................................

I entered the faculty office. It was only me for now. But that's good, the other teachers often come 5 minutes later. The only reason I enter this office is to clock out and pack all the work I need to do and do them at my own private quarters.

As a teacher, I am no longer deserving to place myself next to the other teachers. 

They actively tried to stop Lumine's growth in taking over the school while I....watched.

I did nothing but watch.

They gave their best efforts for their students.....while I didn't.

Thud! Suddenly, a pen container fell on the ground. I sighed and bent down to pick it up and placing it back on the table where it once was.

I'd better hurry now....

" Hello? Is anyone here?" 

Huh? I heard a voice followed by a few knocks. But then the door slowly opened and I quickly turned my head to see who it was....

" Ah, It's you, Chabashira-sensei." It was Ayanokoji.

I was puzzled. Does he require something?

" Ayanokoji? Do you need something?" I asked.

" Where is Hoshinomiya-sensei, if I may ask?" He said.

Hoshinomiya.....why would he-- no. Why wouldn't he. She's a much better person than me anyways.

Something pained my heart a bit. It seems the tiniest part of me was ever so hopeful that a student will chose to come to me for advice......but I already threw away that right. I'm not a suitable teacher. I'm just here for my own selfish desire to keep living.....even when i already feel dead.

" She'll be here.....in a few minutes." I answered before reaching for my bag and envelope. " You could wait here or wait outside. " I informed him.

" I see....thank you." Ayanokoji bows.

" No problem." I said in a bland tone before walking to the exit, intending to pass his figure.....however-

" Actually, could you wait here with me, Sensei?"

I halted. " What. Do you have shy feelings for Hoshinomiya or something?" I said.

" No. But what I'm going to discuss with Hoshinomiya-sensei....it's going to be important." he then turns his eyes to me. " And I feel that it's best if you are present when I do."

" Huh?" I furrowed my brows in confusion. What business does he intend to have with Chie-- I mean Hoshinomiya?

" Please stay, sensei. "

" I have work to do, kid. I can't just humor you and avoid my work." I said.

He sighs. " All right then. How about this," He suddenly nears me. I stepped back but he simply took another step forward.

" I'll tell you a preview of what's going to happen." He said.

" Huh?" I was even more confused but I was quickly silenced when Ayanokoji began to utter his words.....

....

.........

..............

"?!"  My eyes widened due to shock as I processed what he just said.

" An interesting idea, no?" he asks.

I noticed his eyes. They're different now. There's.....a tint.....or a glow to them. It looked absolutely malicious....

And the smile adorning his lips......filled with nothing but amusement and mischief.

And his ridiculous proposal.....

Ayanokoji Kiyotaka....

Why are your eyes scarier than the director's...?

CHAPTER END!

Wew....I'm back! 

And my back hurts after writing this.

And would you look at that?  A switch of pace with Kiyotaka's character!

If everybody in this fic will contain a change in their story......then the protagonist deserves his little spice too!

Another Episode 0 will come out later after a few episodes! so be ready for a bit more insight on Kiyo's  slightly altered upbringing in this fic.

Midterms/survey arc is almost finished and then we'll move onto my own version of volume 3's island exam! But death game version!

Also ye, you won't see Nagumo's pov for quite a while from here on out! And you also wouldn't see another certain character's pov for quite a while either! Can you guess who I'm talking about? You probably could lmao.

Anyways, im out!

SadisticPaimon leaves the chat~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.7K 1K 9
Ayanokouji is no longer the perfect human, his father wanted him to be. Due to the stress of the White Room, Ayanokouji developed dissociative identi...
3.3K 188 5
Ayanokouji, the freedom-seeking boy has woken up to be confronted by a game. A challenge. A challenge which will sculpt his very life into something...
9.9K 421 13
Ayanokoji enters ANHS as a student to experience what life would be like as an ordinary high school student. But will he be able to live such a life?
11.3K 563 26
THERE ARE MORE BOOKS, BOTH BEFORE AND AFTER THIS VOLUME. READ VOLUME 1 FIRST AND THEN ADVANCE I'm bad at descriptions. The beginning has only started...