Infirmitas

By YrisYsabella

The underground world of mafias was shaken when merciless, cunning Jin ascended as the leader of their organi... More

Characters
Chapter 1: The Grim Reaper and The Pale Man
Chapter 2: A Siren and a snake
Chapter 3: Tiger Flower and his leverage
Chapter 4: The Gentlemen of Hope
Chapter 5: My Saving Grace
Chapter 6: A Fallen Angel
Chapter 7: A Guilty Pleasure
Chapter 8: A Fatal Attraction
Chapter 9: Mayday
Chapter 10: Reign of Terror
Chapter 11: An Interrogation
Chapter 12: Lifeline
Chapter 13: A Whirlwind Romance
Chapter 14: My Guardian Angel
Chapter 15: Achilles' Heel
Chapter 16: A Chink in the Armor
Chapter 17: Collateral Damage
Chapter 18: A Change of Heart
Chapter 19: Tried and True
Chapter 20: Ghosted
Chapter 22: The Truth Untold
Chapter 23: A Lull before the Storm
Chapter 24: Treachery
Chapter 25: Goodbye, My Love
Chapter 26: Dead Man Walking
Chapter 27: Annihilation
Chapter 28: Changed
Chapter 29: Forgiven and Forgotten
Chapter 30: Lost and Found
Epilogue: Amor Vincit Omnia

Chapter 21: Elpis

22 3 0
By YrisYsabella

Hoseok's POV

I'm still reeling at the excruciating pain caused by the bullets lodged on my back. I took a deep breath and willed my body to move. Even breathing hurts. But I must pull through. I have to protect Jungkook. Jin hyung is right. They are after him.

I slowly lifted my head off the ground to look. The man was walking towards Namjoon. My eyes are still unfocused. Shooting is risky. I might accidentally fire at him. I remembered the dagger I hid in my shoe. I quietly bended my leg and reached for it. Then I lurched to impale his leg. The man let out a yelp.

"Namjoon, take Jungkook!"

I leapt at the man's back and repeatedly hit his head with the butt of the gun. He flailed and tried to get me off. He flipped over on his head causing us to both land on our backs. I groaned at the pain of the impact on my back and the force of the weight of his body. He positioned beside me and squeezed my neck with his arm. I clawed on his skin as I felt my throat closing in. I groped beside me to search for the gun. I can't feel it. But I found a flashlight. I used it to whack him as hardly as I can. His arm loosened. I backed away, catching my breath. I slanted my head. Retirement really made me rusty. I haven't fought in a very long while.

The man bent to prepare to pounce. We circled around the room. I subtly wandered my eyes to search for the gun. I raised the flashlight in my hands. The beam touched on the man's face and he squinted. I flipped the flashlight in the air and caught it. Then I flashed the light at his eyes. He lifted his hand to cover his face. Bingo. I caught sight of the gun on the floor. Finally. We started circling once again. Once near the weapon, I shone the light at his eyes and dove to retrieve the gun. I can't waste any more time. There might be more of them. So I aimed and shoot without hesitation. I put a bullet through his chest. He fell instantaneously.

I walked towards him and nudged him with my feet. He didn't stir. I fired another shot at his head. Jin hyung has always reminded me to make sure that they stay dead.

"Hoseok?"

I turned to where the voice was coming from. Namjoon was there and Jungkook was behind him.

"You...killed him?"

"I have to."

"Who...who is he? W-what does he want?"

I picked the man's gun and checked its magazine. "We don't have time. We have to go."

"Hoseok hyung, are you okay?" Jungkook asked.

"How are you okay? He shot you."

Namjoon placed a hand on my back. I winced.

"I'm fine. It didn't get through."

"Are you wearing a bulletproof vest? Who are you? Are you a secret agent?"

I let out a short laugh. Oh. How I wish I were instead.

I am not Jung Hoseok. It is just my cover. I am Bang Hobi. Son of the Hitman Bang Sihyuk. The late boss of Bang Mafia. In the organization, I was called Elpis. I grew up with my mother in a province just like this. It was just the two of us until I met my father when I was ten. I thought he was already dead. That's what mom has always said. But there's a reason why she lied. It is so that we can live our life in peace.

I was pulled back into my father's brutal world when my mother was murdered by Park Byung-eun, the patriarch of the Park Mafia. I was taught to kill and fight. I trained alongside Jin hyung. We were the youngest in our group so we naturally grew close. It was never revealed that I am the boss' son so that the enemies can't use me against him. I was meant to be introduced on the day I succeed my father.

But I was not the best nor the brightest. I am just average. In everything. Maybe it's because I didn't really strive to do well. Because I hated it. I hated what I have become. I despised what I will be. I resorted to assisting Jin hyung in his missions. I would be the one guiding him in his ears. I would be trailing and spying on his targets. When Yoongi hyung joined the organization, we became a team. I supported Jin hyung on the ground and Yoongi hyung took care of him after. I was contented with that.

Until a mishap happened. I accidentally killed an innocent woman. A woman old enough to be my mom. I ran away and hid from them when I was twenty. And once again, I lived in a place like this. My father was killed three years after. I was late but I finally returned. Jin hyung asked me to accept the position dad left and promised me that he will be there as my right-hand. I did not take it. Not just because I know that I will be unworthy. But because I don't want to live like that again. Besides, they already have him. I went back to my small town and lived a normal, peaceful life.

Two years ago, Jin hyung came to me to ask a favor. He finally found his long lost brother. He asked me if I can take care of him, watch over him and keep him safe from harm. I am grateful that Jin hyung took over in my place and never forced me to do anything I don't want. He's been my family. He gave me the care and love I wanted to receive. So I accepted without hesitation. I used the money I inherited to build the plant shop and the gardens. I promised Jin hyung that I will mind and protect Jungkook. And that's an oath that I will always keep.

We heard a man whistling a tune outside. The three of us simultaneously hunkered down behind the counter.

"Firebird!" The man shouted. "I heard gunshots. The boss ordered for us to bring the brother alive."

Namjoon's eyes widened. He slowly turned to Jungkook then back to me.

"Why?" He whispered.

"They hate the Grim Reaper." Jungkook muttered.

"Who's the Grim Reaper?"

Then a glass broke. I quietly pulled the slide of my gun. The man grunted.

"Firebird?"

His footsteps resonated. I peered and aimed. He found the body.

"Fuck."

I squeezed the trigger and fired multiple shots at the man. He dove behind the couch. We were exchanging bullets, rising and crouching in between firings.

"Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit."

I can hear Namjoon curse. I rose to fire another. The gun just clicked. Shit. I ran out of bullets. The man immediately went in and leapt to us. He pointed his gun at my head. I held it by its barrel and turned it to my right. I heard a loud bang and then a shrill ringing in my ear. Then I felt a sharp pain on the side of my head. I weakly threw a punch on his ribs. He hit my head with his gun again. I felt moisture dripping on the side of my face. I fell. My eyes grew heavier. Then I was propped up.

"Hoseok hyung. Hoseok hyung, wake up. Don't sleep."

I can hear Jungkook. He lifted me and placed my arm over his shoulders. I heard Namjoon grunting. I tried to open my eyes.

"Motherfucker."

Namjoon was throwing his fists at the man. He was blindly punching while the man was just...playing.

He chuckled. "You're just wasting my fucking time."

The man hit Namjoon hard on his stomach thrice and harshly punched him on his jaw. He dropped on the floor with a loud thud. The man walked towards us. I removed my arm on Jungkook's shoulder and weakly pushed him.

"Go. Run." I told him.

"No." He said defiantly.

"Don't be hardheaded. Run."

Jungkook was snatched right away. The man yanked his hair and pulled him towards the door, still facing us. He had a knife on his Jungkook's neck. I winced as I felt my head throb. I took a knife out of the holder and gathered my remaining energy for a last ditch effort. I don't care if I die. I just have to make sure that I bring him along with me. I took a deep breath as I prepare to pounce.

"Release him." I heard a low, deep voice.

"What took you so long?"

"Let go of him."

The man snorted. "What's with the gun on my head?"

"It's going to blow your brains out if you don't release him."

I squinted my eyes to see the man engulfed in the darkness. My brows furrowed when I realized who it was. It's Taehyung, Jungkook's lover. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.3K 547 56
COMPLETE VERSION + SEQUEL ON AO3 South Korea. More specifically Daegu. The home and base of the most dangerous, mysterious, feared Mafia in the world...
1.1M 43.8K 31
"I killed my entire family. Imagine what I could do to you." What scared me the most was how calmly he spoke as he continued to blow smoke out from...
44.2K 1.5K 37
Y/n is a weak girl with a strong mindset. Her life is miserable but she believes that she can pull through anything if she keeps herself together. Ju...
68.6K 2K 37
Jeon Jungkook, The deadly heartless mafia who was known for his power and fame. He own almost the half of korea and he was totally fearless. side-by...