Back to the Arabian Nights

By itspeafowlyoufool

"You're going back now. Back to the place" She goes to a realm she had only heard in stories; a realm that en... More

the Story
the Beginning
the Hospital
the Desert
the Bazaar
the Con
the Close Call
the Threshold
the City
the Cell
the Royals
the Entrances
THE PAVILLION
the Attempt
the Stall
the New one
the Power Scroll
the Audacity
the Threat
the Decision
the Betrothal
the Welcome
the Novice Queen
Scherazade's Pearls
the Choice

the Punishment

57 9 1
By itspeafowlyoufool

I would have considered anyone an asshole had they also used a sick person as a part of their ploy-- in anything- and for me, I was no exception. No one could have frowned on me better than  myself at that moment. 

There she was, the queen mother of Agrabah still, pale and frail, and here I was, concerned about my trivial problems- yet I had to do what I had to do. As I sat in the bedside I grew more restless about the events that could unfold that night. 

"Salam" I heard a soft voice behind me. 

Tall, graceful, and beautiful as the stars and suns would say; a lady stood in the doorway. She adorned graceful emerald neckpiece- outfit threaded with gold and pearl and a long, glorious veil that brushed the floor as she moved ever so slightly. 

I joined my two hands in response, unsure of who I greeted. 

"Pardon me for the disruption. I am Nagma- one of the Begums of the palace. I'd like to welcome you to Agrabah" Her voice was gentle, and her eyes- kind. 

"Pranam, Begum Nagma. It's a delight to meet you" I said, out of courtesy. I feared if she was there to take me elsewhere, however. 

"My apologies, my lady. It's your first day, and it seems we have already troubled you by keeping you here" 

"No-no. No trouble at all. It's no trouble looking after the queen mother" I said as my gaze followed the asleep lady. 

"But. I thought your presence was required in the Emperor's chambers- about roughly 3 hours ago?" She voiced her concern. 

"Oh, that?" I chuckled, "That's all sorted. I am here by choice" I said, vaguely, not wanting to alert her. 

A concerned knit  faded into relief in Begum Nagma's eyebrows on hearing that.

"In that case, let me keep you accompanied Begum" She smiled softly.

***

Begum Nagma spoke of many things over the hours. 

She spoke of her marriage with the Emperor- on how he had married her after her father had died in the war serving for the emperor. She told me how the palace had accumulated 200 begums; almost all of them either being token of gratitude from places where the Emperor had extended friendly relations, or as a prize of winnings from places the Emperor had won through war. Only a few marriages were deemed legitimate, where no political winning had happened of any sort. It revolted me knowing that these ladies were treated no less than mere objects- merely representing the Emperor's land extension achievements . 

"That's the basis of a Royal Begum, and a normal Begum" She finished, "if you were won through war, or as a result of submersion, you'd be considered  a normal Begum- but if you were married based on political exchange, or through love, you'd be a Royal Begum".

"It's bizarre to me" I spoke in shock, "It's bizarre that despite being married with proper rites and rituals, these people have found ways to create divisions in that too. Normal and Royal Begum. What a bizarre concept". 

"It maybe bizarre to you. But that's how these 195 Begums have been living for the past decade. Straddling in the world of division inside their own home" She replied very softly. It seemed like she also didn't resonate with the ways of the Emperor. 

"I don't wish to be a part of this hierarchy" I replied. 

Begum Nagma knitted her eyes in confusion.

"To me, this is nothing more than an extravagant bubble the Emperor has fabricated to serve himself. And I wish not to be a part of it" I said. 

"Don't you worry. With the kind of chaos you create I don't think you'll be a part of this extravagance anymore" A sharp voice boomed from behind us. 

I had been found. 

It was Mallika Nazira. And she didn't look very pleased. 

***

I was taken to the Emperor's chambers by a group of attendees. Begum Nagma was prohibited from coming since it was apparently an 'issue of concern between a husband and a wife'. But somehow, Begum Nazira and the tedious Khusi-jaan made their way inside the chamber. 

Emperor Rayshan sat in the middle edge of his enormous bed, with his head tilted down- that hid his annoyed face. 

"I was called here, your highness" I said as I entered through the door.

I had considered the thin possibility that I'd be beheaded or sent off to be fed to the desert piranhas. Truth be said, I was scared, for the simple reason that I was outnumbered. Despite that I tried to appear indifferent; I had to. 

I observed his surrounding. Begum Nazira to his left, and Khusi-jaan to his right- both throwing their piercing angry gazes at me. I already knew that whatever was going to happen, was not for my good. 

"It's been roughly 5 hours since, Empress" Khusi-jaan spoke on the behalf of the Emperor. 

I looked at the Emperor- his head down, pulling a sinister look. 

I was in a tiger's den. 

"I know that the ladies in Bisnagar don't have the habit of valuing someone's time and energy. But for godsake, he is your Emperor- your husband. You could have at least tried to spare him some respect" Khusi-jaan continued, adding oil to the already ignited fire. 

"What can we make out of this, new Begum?" Begum Nazira added, "It's barely been a full 24 hours since your arrival, and you have started defying orders, insulting our Emperor". 

I refrained my speech. The sooner they'd get to say their twisted dialogues, the sooner they'd let me go. 

"I obviously didn't intend to keep the Emperor waiting. But, I was in amidst of something equally, if not more, important task" I replied more soberly.

"It is not your task to look after the queen mother" Begum Nazira snapped, "Tell me new Begum, did anyone order you to look after her? Did anyone command you? And let's say someone did, don't you have the common sense to understand that you are a Royal Begum? The only orders that you have to follow are the Emperor's". 

"I will not apologise for going to the Queen mother's chambers" I spoke, at which all three of them raised their eyebrows in surprise

"However" I added, "If I inconvinienced the Emperor, I'd like to apologise for that". 

"Such ego does not suit a Begum well" The Emperor spoke up after his long moments of silence.

"Not only is she egoisitc, but disrespectful too" Begum Nazira added, "She has no sense of priviledge being a Royal Begum" 

"I'll talk to our New Begum, if-"

"If I truly made a mistake as grave as it seems, then, I am ready for a punishment" I interrupted their ramble. 

Khusi-jaan looked at me surprisingly, with a glimmer of satisfaction in her eyes. Begum Nazira had a look of confusion, whereas the Emperor; he looked anrgy, as if I had taken away something precious from him. 

In his defense, I probably had. I had taken away his right to guilt-trip me; the right to exercise his power on me.

"You'd rather accept punishment than to apologise for your disrespect" The Emperor stated. 

I looked at him. Perhaps he was right; maybe my ego was in the way. But, truth be told, I didn't really understand the gravity of my actions; whether they were being dramatic, or I was being a little too uncaring. 

"I will only apologise when I am in the wrong" I replied, making sure my eye contact doesn't falter.

"Ah" The Emperor raised his eyebrows cockily, "So you are not in the wrong, as per your beliefs?".

I glared at him momentarily, wanting to snap back at his sass, but I said nothing. 

"If you're not in the wrong, tell me this, princess of Bisnagar, why are you willing to accept a punishment?". 

"I certainly don't think I'm in the wrong" I retorted, "But seeing as you all have been so offended, I thought my punishment would've made a sufficient satisfaction".

"We have a saying here in Agrabah, that the thief will always have the loudest voice" Khusi-jaan remarked. 

"Let it be Aunt Khusi" The Emperor spoke, "Since my Begum is so keen on getting punished- that too out of the nobility in her heart, I don't think I'd like to spare that chance from her". 

He brought out his sinister smile. 

"I heard her disrespect was for the Begum hierachies, right Nazira?" He turned to his other wife as he smirked. Begum Nazira smirked, as if she had read his mind there and then. 

" For a week, she will no longer get the luxury, or the title of  a Royal Begum" He proclaimed, "Since she's so sympathetic to my other beautiful wives, she, too, will  join them". 

I furrowed my eyebrows, unsure of what that punishment meant for me- whether it was even bad for me or not. 

"You will remove yourself from the Novice Queen quarters this instant" Emperor Rayshan added. 

Begum Nazira and Khusi-jaan were speechless- shocked, even looked offended for me. 

"I'll make sure it's on the move now, Emperor" Khusi-jaan responded as she bowed her head.

"Disperse!" He exclaimed, on which Begum Nazira and Khusi-jaan left immediately.

"I'll have you know that I will take out your ego, brick by brick- every second you reside here" He inched towards me, "You've caused me a lot of loss, Princess of Bisnagar " He snarled- almost whispered. 

He swayed away from me swiftly, "Until then, have a pleasant sleep, Princess", he exhaled loudly- causing a swift change from his intense and furious glare to his uncaring, smirking face. 

I stood there momentarily, confused. I didn't really understand what had happened in that chamber. 

Emperor Rayshan got in his bed, with his fine silk blanket.

"You'll have to leave now, Princess. Unless you intend to spend the night with me after all" He smirked, "But that would be a pity for your plans, wouldn't it?- I mean, isn't that why you hid and took refuge in my sick mother's chambers?"

My eyebrows rose in surprise- he was not as stupid as I had deemed him to be. The matter of fact was, that he was far more intelligent than I had credited him for. 

"I hope you certainly can have a pleasant sleep" I replied sarcastically, as I left his chamber hurriedly. 

On the hindsight, whatever had happened, happened for the good. Without the tag of the 'new Royal Begum', I'd be under the radar for a week; which was exactly what would help me. I'd be able to do what I came here for, without anyone butting in. 

The Guru was sufficiently right in calling me lucky, I guess.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

105K 1.4K 7
Awakening to find myself in a world teeming with magic, dragons, and fantastical wonders was like stepping into the pages of a novel - quite literall...
9 0 11
The world of Alaris had always been one ruled by magic and the will of the gods. Most had some degree of renown or magical power, even attaining the...
204 17 9
The life of Luo Yingxiao is humble, simple, and outright peaceful. She came from two wonderful kind-hearted farmer parents that raised her into this...
41.5K 790 25
Bro I switched this book up so much- If I do it one more time im deleting it- But like pls dont read it- Its bad- An Emerald Prince and the Crimson K...