"When She Woke Up"- (Newt&Tho...

By cloudyskies13569

[under major editing and re-drafting] The soft pitter-patter of footfalls on damp grass approached. She laid... More

~Playlists~
~Her Eyes~
~Slight Panic~
~"It's Calm"~
~The Bonfire~
~Skillz~
~Got A Heart To Give~
~Stupid Gardening Tool~
~Newt's In Charge~
~Just Keep Running~
~The Edge of Life and Death~
~The Path You Took Before~
~A Slow Recovery~
~"Fit To Be A King"~
~Winning You~
~The Time You Actually Run For Your Life~
~Author's Note~
~"That's A Griever, THAT'S A GRIEVER!!"~
~The Sacrifice~
~"MINHO, WHAT'S THE SEQUENCE?!"~
Next Book is Out!
A/N 🎉1k+ reads!!
10k+ reads!! 🤩🎉

~That's A Weed~

1.5K 24 20
By cloudyskies13569

"She smiled for the first time, and he almost had to look away, as if something that nice didn't belong in such a glum and gray place, as if he had no right to look at her expression."

James Dashner, The Maze Runner

・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*

You woke up early once again. It had become a new normal for you. After a 2 weeks of being here you realized that you'd never truly get to sleep in. Instead of being productive though, you'd tried to generate fun ideas. Newt seemed stressed about things lately and you wanted just a few moments of fun to spend with him. And you had the perfect day planned. Yeah, sure, maybe you were telling yourself it was a thing for friends. But honestly with what you had planned it felt like a date.

First, you needed Gally's help. This would be a project. You just hoped it wouldn't take up the whole morning. Newt still needed time to fulfill his regular duties and you to ask for a day off. You weren't sure how you were going to manage to do that, but at this point you'd come up with tons of hand signals meaning different things.

゚*☆*゚゚*☆*゚゚*☆*゚゚*☆*゚

You waved as Gally sauntered over to you. His hands were shoved in his pockets and an amused expression played on his usually stoic face.

"Hey, y/n, what do ya need?" he asked while ruffling your hair. It had come out wavy from Chuck braiding it the night before so you hadn't minded that he messed it up since it was pretty messy at the moment.

He leaned down so you could whisper your idea. If you weren't talking to multiple people this was easier for you. You saw his eyebrows furrow in contemplation at the mention of this.

"Sure, that sounds generally easy. Would you help me out so I can get the whole idea right?" he quirked a smile. You nodded eagerly and followed him off to where the builders usually worked and kept their equipment. Thomas was running today so he wouldn't be tailing you thankfully. You'd make sure to treat him to something later after his run. He had become a runner after training with Minho for a while. Though he was still considered a runner then too and occasionally went on preliminary runs.

You helped Gally anchor a wooden rod into place between two closely hanging trees. Then you created a wooden chair but longer and without the legs on it. Gally gave you a questioning gaze before pulling out a metal chain. You smiled widely and realized this would be much easier with chain than what you originally had in mind. You and Gally hammered two metal rings into place on the upper beam supported by the two trees. Now, how were you going to do this?

Just then, one of the builders ran over and Gally immediately instructed him to hold up the wonderfully made legless chair. You attached the chain to each side using a hook and drilling a hole.

"Honestly, y/n. You could've been a builder or something because you've got skills for this," the random glader said before wandering off. Now all that was left was to test your creation.

You glanced over at Gally.

"What are you waiting for, n/n. I'll push you!" Gally laughed. You sat down on the small wooden and chain contraption. It swung back and forth and then Gally pushed you. Well, it certainly did work like you had expected it too. You squealed silently in excitement and gripped the metal chains.

Gally brought the chair back to a resting position after you had swung for a moment or two. He patted you on the shoulder and gave you a proud look. You grinned up at him.

"He's right, you definitely could be a builder with ideas like this," Gally said jovially.

You just smiled and thanked him by bowing a bit before running with light feet across the entirety of the Glade searching for someone. It wasn't Newt just yet.

You stopped in the kitchen as you caught Frypan making breakfast. You pointed to the sun and smiled, your way of saying good morning.

"Good morning to ya too, y/n! Need anything special? Or just here early?" He said wiping his hands off on his shirt.

You held a hand to your ear and he walked over to listen to your ideas. He laughed a bit and then stepped back.

"I can do that for ya! It'll be ready a bit before lunch so keep your eyes peeled for me," he instructed. You leaned in and whispered thank you in appreciation. That was the last thing on your list. Now you could find Newt.

You pranced across the open grassy field. You searched wildly around, scanning each head of hair for the golden one you sought after this morning. Before you knew it, the breakfast bell sounded and everyone flooded towards the homestead. Oh well, I'll catch him at breakfast.

You found him at the table and smiled gleefully. This was going to be an awesome day. You made wild hand signals as you explained your need for him the whole day.

"The whole day?" Newt asked with wide eyes. You nodded fervently. Then you leaned in and whispered that you needed him at least until dinner.

"What for?" he asked, and you just shrugged with a smile plastered on your face. Then, you dug into your food. You got through about 5 slices of bacon before Fry stopped you from stealing them.

゚*☆*゚゚*☆*゚゚*☆*゚゚*☆*゚

After breakfast Newt walked up beside you. You were heading to the swing you had built with Gally that morning.

"Where are we heading?" Newt asked. You just shrugged with a smile again. He shook his head and chuckled at your antics. "Do you seriously not know or are we actually going somewhere?" he asked. You couldn't really answer that so you just shrugged again.

Once you had walked across the grassy plain and a bit into the woods you had made it to your contraption.

"What is this?" Newt asked. You just sat down and used your legs to kick off the ground. The chains swung you back and forth. Newt opened his mouth in wonderment.

"Did you make this? Wow... I'll push you but I definitely want a turn!" Newt held a finger up and declared. You scrunched your nose up a bit and bit back a smile as Newt walked around behind you giving a firm push to the chair. And it was a good push.

You grinned as the swing goes up and up, then the wind rushes through your hair as you get ricocheted back by the strong force of the chain. Then once it reaches the limit on that side it swings forward again. It was so fun!!

Newt stood to the side and watched as your eyes displayed excitement and joy. All his worries melted away seeing you laugh and smile so sincerely. He was happy for once, and nothing else but happy.

When the swing swung low, Newt stepped behind again to push you. You turned around confused as if to ask him, 'don't you want a turn?' but he just grinned. He had an idea. You opened your mouth and your eyes blew wide as Newt ran underneath you and lifted the swing up. He made it all the way through and turned around to watch you giddiness and raw joy. Your hair appeared to be flowing honey as the sun lit it up. It showed off your beauty as you smiled so wide you swore your cheeks hurt.

Afterwards, Newt got a turn on the swing and safe to say it was the best moment he's had so far in the Glade. Especially because it was with you. You decided to make this swing a public thing so the other gladers could unwind while having the time of their life.

゚*☆*゚゚*☆*゚゚*☆*゚゚*☆*゚

Before the lunch bell rang and you grabbed Newt's hand and dragged him to the Glade. You were watching for Frypan's signal from the gardens when you saw the prettiest flower. You cupped it in your hands and played with the petals.

"Umm... y/n, you know that's a weed right?" Newt giggled from beside you. Seeing you affectionately pet a weed was kinda weird, though in full honesty it was pretty. You looked up at him with eyes like a pleading puppy. He knew what you wanted. You wanted to keep it in the garden.

"y/n we're gonna have to pick it out if you don't want it to take over this garden," Newt stated matter-of-factly. You sighed with a heavy heart. How can such a pretty flower turn out to be a weed?

"y/n... if you really wanna keep it we can replant it near the forest, and maybe make you a separate garden?" Newt offered. You nodded your head and gave him a brief hug before seeing Frypan's figure in the distance. You grabbed Newt's hand and he got flustered again as you dragged him over to Frypan. He held out a basket to you and you saluted him with you free hand before dragging Newt and the basket into the Deadheads once more. This time though, you followed the short trail to a giant tree that had a nice flat spot in the center a bit of the ways up. You pointed up at it.

"You want me to climb up there?" Newt asked skeptically. You nodded with excitement. When Newt got up there you handed up the picnic basket before climbing up yourself. You spread out the small assortment of food before realizing once of the sandwiches got crushed by a banana. You frowned a bit.

"You can have my sandwich, I'll take yours," Newt offered. You smiled gratefully at him and gave him a small kiss on his cheek. That was the first time you'd done that, but it was nice. His face lit up like a Christmas light and he tried to hide it by pulling out a slice of watermelon and munching his way down to the rind. You giggled and chewed on your sandwich.

゚*☆*゚゚*☆*゚゚*☆*゚゚*☆*゚

The picnic had gone smoothly and you had one last thing on your checklist. That one flower you found earlier!

You dragged Newt back to where the flower was and he stared down at it. Obviously he was still processing the fact that you liked a weed so much. You gathered the gardening gloves and small shovels and spades to dig it out. Then you wandered to Gally. Newt asked for a wooden box and he crafted one pretty quickly. In the meantime, Newt bent down to a small patch of dandelions and picked a small bouquet for you. It was really cheesy, but you enjoyed it nonetheless. They were also weeds he had told you.

After retrieving the bottomless box, Newt placed it down by the edge of the woods and you helped in the task of filling it with dirt. You trusted Newt on this, after all, he was a gardener. He knew how this worked. After it was filled you made a small hole and placed the pretty flower inside.

You admired it and Newt sat beside you on the soft grass. You smiled at him, bowing your head in thanks and then leaning your head on his shoulder for a bit. The glare of the sun embroidered a stark pink across your freckled cheeks as you sat there.

"Alright, that was a lot of fun," Newt said, reluctantly getting up and dusting his gardening gloves off before removing them and holding his hand out for yours. You got up as well and brushed them off.

"I need to head back to work, because we honestly can't really function without a co-leader here believe it or not," Newt whispered to you. You snickered like it was some sort of juicy secret. Alby was busy with important things, Newt took care of the less important things. You pushed his shoulder motioning for him to get to work and he waved as he walked off. You glanced back at your flower before wandering off to the med-jack hut.

゚*☆*゚゚*☆*゚゚*☆*゚゚*☆*゚

Now that your impromptu hangout session was over you could help until dinner. Not an hour had passed before Thomas came barreling into the med-jack hut.

"y/n!" he said a bit too loudly. You glanced up from your work and saw the wreck that Thomas was in at the moment. You smiled sympathetically and motioned for him to sit down on the free bed. He complied and you checked him over, applying a healing paste to any scrapes you were able to find. When you finished he stood up and immediately dragged you out of the hut. Clint and Jeff reluctantly let you go again as you had asked for the day off already.

You found yourself underneath a tree laying down against the roots. Thomas had his head in your lap, his gaze flickering between you and the sky. Thomas was stretched out across the grass and stared up at you as you stared off into space. He watched your eyelashes flit around and your hair blow in the breeze. He could see small freckles dotting your neck and shoulders, and your wispy hairs that framed your face that you had to keep brushing away from your eyes.

"Your eyes are so pretty..." Thomas said, obviously tired. You giggled silently. He felt the vibrations and in turn also laughed a bit.

You reach your fingers towards his hair and with a delicate touch. Then you began to comb through his hair, scratching a bit.

"Mmmm, y/n, do that again. That felt good," Thomas grumbled below you. You giggled again and began to scratch his head. You began to hum. A small tune you didn't remember knowing. You didn't know what it was from or if it was even a relevant tune but it sounded nice and calming, so you continued humming.

Eventually, you could hear Thomas's soft snoring. He had fallen asleep. You leaned your head back against the tree and closed your eyes, letting yourself drift off. Not before you thought about how cute Thomas looked lying asleep in your lap though.

・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*

2430 words

Thank you for reading this chapter, I just came up with some cute ideas. I hope you liked it!!

QOTD: What would you do on a first date with someone?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.3K 707 24
What to expect here: ✅ Mickey ✅ Magic ✅ Madness Participate in one of WattpadDisney's contests! Photosensitivity Warning: Please note, contest chapte...
649K 14.5K 42
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
7.2K 548 28
Hate to love there blooms the true love!! - This is theory of love from centuries. Ishraa Ram the beautiful fun loving girl but can be sassy at tim...
28.5K 703 9
Your decisions do not only affect you, but all those around you, too.