K/DA: The Reluctant Writer (M...

By powerhouse616

K-pop bands, clubs, high-rises, and. . . the looming threat of an eldritch nightmare? They didn't pay you eno... More

Silence
New and Old
First Day
Bloody Nose
K/DA
Don't Dance with the Demon
Devil's Advocate
Lights. Camera. Drama!
Truth: Part 1
Truth: Part 2
The Bitch Came Back
Call of Adventure: Part 1
Call of Adventure: Part 2
Homeward Bound
First Date

Pop/Stars

1.4K 38 23
By powerhouse616

Rain fell hard on the window of the hotel room. A shit atmosphere to cap off the shitiest day of your life. Fuck Sona's manager. Fuck the police. Fuck S-. . . no. You dropped the clothes balled in your fists and breathed out a heavy sigh.

Y/N: She didn't deserve this. Any of it.

Sona had disappeared after your stunt. No calls. No texts. No notes. You had tried calling her but it went straight to voice mail – something you had left too many of at this point. Pleading, begging and apologizing your heart out. It was a bit pathetic, but some shame might have been warranted.

The officers had dropped you off at the hotel with a kick in the ass and a ticket out of the country, leaving tonight. You should have been thankful you were walking at all, but the bitterness was too distracting.

Y/N: Fucker had it coming. What right does he have 'letting me off easy'. Kill that son-of-a-bitch. Bet he's feeling like he has the moral high ground. Gets to feel like the bigger man. Gah, why doesn't anyone believe me?

You zipped up the bag and kicked it to the floor, taking one last look at your and Sona's hotel room. Before closing the door, you saw the odd glint of something in the restroom. Letting the curiosity get the better of you, you crept over and flicked the dim light. A small silver ring with a purple gem sat on the counter. . . it was Sona's promise ring.

Y/N: Fuck. . . fuck, fuck, fuck!

You snatched it and pocketed it before grabbing your suitcase and slamming the door on your way out.

The car ride to the airport of uneventful, as was the walk to the terminal and eventually your flight. It was a redeye, one last 'fuck you' from the good detectives. You sat in the cushy seat and pulled out your trusty earbuds, hoping to make the ride as painless as possible.

???: Bad night?

You glanced to your right, scolding yourself internally as you hadn't noticed the man who'd be sitting next to you for the next half day.

Y/N: Something like that.

He was a pale man, finely dressed in a black and red suit and wearing a fedora. His face was gaunt and his black hair was slicked back. He offered a hand to shake, one that you took reluctantly.

The Man: Name's Trevor, Trevor Zelman. I'm an archeologist of sorts. What do you do fine sir?

Y/N: Y/N, fantasy author.

You weren't exactly in the mood for a long discussion with a stranger. This stranger gave off all kinds of warning signs. Red and black suit and with that ghost-like complexion? Yeah, it wouldn't be surprising if he turned out to be the devil himself if this was one of your stories. He would have come here to make you a deal after your life reached an all-time low, only for you to later find out that he orchestrated your misfortune to trick you into a deal. Thanks, Neil Gaiman.

Trevor: Oh? How exciting. Good to meet you, sir.

Y/N: And you as well.

Trevor: Your accent, American? How have you found yourself in Germany?

You bit your lip. The truth would warrant a story you weren't comfortable telling, at least not while stone sober. If this man was going to be chatty the entire trip then things were going to get annoying fast.

Y/N: Just a small vacation. Seeing the sights.

Trevor: Gathering ideas for your books I surmise? I tend to do some light reading. Tell me, have you written anything I may have read?

You talked to Trevor about your books for a time, your mood actually improving as the plane took the skies. The strange man turned out to be pleasant company and was fascinated with all of the things from your stories, especially the mythical creatures.

Trevor: Tell me, do you believe in demons?

Y/N: Hm? Uh, I don't think so.

Oh fuck. Yeah, I'm definitely sitting next to Satan.

Trevor: Really? It seems like this place is overflowing with the supernatural, at least more so than other places I've been to.

Y/N: I mean, I guess? I have a cousin with phoenix blood, and my girlfriend's instrument can do like a charm spell. But I don't think there's anything as crazy as demons around. I think we'd know that by now with modern science.

He seemed rather amused at that perspective, stroking his chin and looking out the window.

Trevor: Things divine and unholy often slip under the radar, I'm sure you'll see in time.

You went quiet for a bit, unsure how to continue. You didn't want to say anything that made it seem like you bought what he was selling, but you couldn't deny your interest was peaked.

Y/N: What do you mean by demons?

Trevor: I thought that concept was universal. Demons. Things of the underworld that were created by Vulcanus to punish humanity for their sins.

Y/N: Vulcanus?

Trevor: Ah, slip of the tongue. Read some text that called God by that name, and thought it sounded better.

Y/N: Ha. You're not wrong. It's something all right. And, yeah, I know what demons are. I don't know about punishing people, but as a writer, I've used them in stories for that means. Big red things with horns and wings – a classic fantasy trope.

You turned away and dug around in your bag for one of the copies of your books, thinking he might appreciate the cover art.

Trevor: Indeed. What people often get wrong about demons is the form they take. A demon isn't a 'big red thing with horns and wings' and sometimes they aren't evil. Sometimes they want nothing. Sometimes it's people that are the ones endlessly torturing the demon.

Y/N: The fuck is that supposed to-

You turned back to Trevor Zelman, only to find an empty seat greeting you.

_______________________________________

Slam!

Akali: Wake up!

You were suddenly and violently wrenched to consciousness by the banshee's cry. Attempting to right yourself under the sheets, you were assailed by an endless barrage of light pecks on your cheek. Truly, this was an assault planned expertly and deliberately. None other than humanity's old foe, Horus Lupercal, could have devised such a relentless assault. It was his signature move, you assumed, the Speartip-

Akali: Hey! I recognize that look, no time to daydream! It's today! It's today, it's today, it's today!

Y/N: What's today?

You ripped your eyes open with great force. It was like the opening of an old missile silo-

Akali: None of that! What day do you think? Our first single releases today!

You could now see and feel that Akali was straddling you over the sheets. She wore the K/DA outfit that she used in the music video. The very same outfit that made you very uncomfortable in unmentionable areas. . .

She was grinning like a kid on Christmas morning. It was a smile so infectious that even you, master of the resting-bitch-face, cracked a small smirk. Wow. . . she was gorgeous. She even wore her hair up in that messy knot. You're not sure why, but it just did something to you.

No! You shook your head and locked away the base desires of the human-animal, right next to your crippling anxiety and self-esteem issues. It was best to just do as the Irish did. You just had to bottle up all of your stress. . . and then die one day.

Y/N: Ah, right, that.

Akali: What, aren't you excited?

Y/N: Not excited enough to be up this early. . .

Akali: Uh, it's almost noon.

Y/N: Did I stutter?

Akali shook her head and rolled her eyes. Then, much to your secret delight, she leaned down and gave you a deep kiss on the lips. . . only to break it off after two seconds.

Akali: Bleh, morning breath. Go brush your teeth, sicko.

She rolled off of the bed and walked back over to the door.

Akali: We're heading over to Hawk's office in twenty. Meet us outside.

Y/N: Can it be twenty-five? Or thirty?

Akali: Make that fifteen.

Y/N: You're not my mom.

Akali: No, I'm your girl. . . friend~?

She clicked her tongue.

Akali: Huh. . . that's weird to say. Is that weird? It feels weird.

You shrugged and waved her off, still attempting to rub the sleep from your eyes.

Y/N: Well, let's see here. Within the last couple months of my life, I've reunited with my long-lost cousin, and became the ghostwriter for your pop group – a group made up of a kumiho, demon, ninja, and fucking venom – so weird kinda has a different meaning nowadays.

Akali gave you a slow nod.

Y/N: Let's also not forget our other new friends; Jesus, his spunky sprite, and his beautiful vampire-

Akali: Choose your next words carefully, writer boy. . . very carefully.

Y/N: -lady whom I have absolutely no attraction to whatsoever.

Akali: Good boy.

You quirked an eyebrow.

Y/N: That was a very. . . Eve thing to say.

You say while trying in vain to hide the spreading blush across your face.

The rapper shivered and rubbed her neck.

Akali: I know, the stupid demon is rubbing off on me.

Y/N: You mean the demon that people threatened for thinking she was related to some sort of Darkseid rip-off named 'Trasyn?'

Akali: Yup. Also, why are you just recounting the events of. . . hey, wait a second! You're just ranting so that you have an excuse to stay in bed for a few more minutes.

Fuck. Mission failed. Abort. Abort!

Akali: Come here you-

Y/N: Not the face!

_______________________________________

You all sat in Hawk's newly renovated office. An office you had only visited one other time, and then proceed to wreck by knocking his body around like a rag doll. Good Times. And no, you did not need Akali's help to do that. You just needed to get back into the swing of things, you were just rusty.

The room was red carpet still, and all of the weapons were there, including a certain cannon-breaking rapier-revolver. The room looked basically the same as it had been, aside from a couple of additions. On the far side of the room sat a lounge-like area where a couple of sofas sat facing a 70-inch plasma TV.

The man himself sipped on a cup of tea, staring at you all from behind his new oak desk.

Hawk: First off, why do you look like you went three rounds with a bowling ball?

Akali rubbed her head nervously while the other three girls stared daggers at her. Your face did indeed resemble a ripe tomato, but that wasn't because your girlfriend had physically assaulted you. (surprisingly). Your wounds were instead caused by the absolute horror inflicted on you by a booby-trap she had set for Luther. . . Or Evelynn. . . or whoever else was not trusted during that god-awful story arc.

Ahri: He. . . was being uncooperative when Akali tried to wake him up.

The man nodded like that was all the explanation he needed.

Hawk: Right, understandable. So! Are we ready to see the fruits of our labor?

There was a chorus of cheers – and a lazy nod from Evelynn. Stupid Demon. – as the group was directed to the sofas.

After Hawk fiddled with the remote for a minute or two, the screen lit up and opened up Youtube. He scrolled to a video in his history and clicked play. The anticipation around you was palpable as the screen went dark. While the girls were whispering excitedly, you had a single thought running through your mind.

How many views did that say again?

The music and art kicked it, purple filling the screen. Eve with her cars. Kai'sa in the tunnel. Akali in the train car. Ahri in the laundromat. And then they started singing your lyrics.

You were mesmerized as the video went on. The visuals and audio were on point. Akali gripped your hand excitedly as her rap section popped off. Her black light technique worked wonders for the visuals and. . . did she spray-paint a dragon?

Akali leaned over to whisper in your ear.

Akali: This is so fucking cool!

You nodded and kept your eyes glued to the screen. Ahri was humming under her breath.

Ahri: Ain't nobody bringing us down, down, down, down.

As the video came to a close a minute later, your jaw was solidly on the floor. This was by far the biggest production you had been a part of so far, and it came out perfectly.

Evelynn: My tempo was off.

Kai'sa: I knew I should have worked on the choreography more!

Ahri: Were my tails too distracting?

The girls launched into a tirade of self-deprecating statements so long that would make every self-loathing teenager blush. Everyone except Akali, who was still staring dumbstruck at the screen.

Hawk: Enough! None of that now. You did a wonderful job.

Ahri: Really? I think it may have been too much. People may not be a fan of scary Ahri. . .

Evelynn: Scary? Darling, you were the eye candy. I couldn't tear my eyes away from your hips long enough to even notice the tails.

The diva laughed as Ahri flushed and lowered her ears in embarrassment.

Evelynn: And Kai'sa, that dance was magnificent. Truly a captivating and energetic routine.

Kai'sa smirked and winked, leaning back and crossing her legs in a smug fashion. Akali finally tore her eyes away and eyed Evelynn.

Akali: Demon's got moves, I'll give ya that. Kinda shocked you didn't go for a more. . . dominatrix-y look. And that you used your tails that much. I mean they're sick but you didn't seem comfortable with it- hey!

Akali was suddenly lifted into the air and held upside down by a translucent force. Her arms were pinned to her side as she was brought face to face with Eve, who lowered her sunglasses exposing those predatory yellow orbs.

Evelynn: Not hot enough for you? I could give you a private show in something more. . . revealing.

She laid a small kiss on Akali's forehead, making the rapper's face red enough to match your own. Kai'sa turned to you.

Kai'sa: Not going to bail her out?

Y/N: She deserves it. I'll let her squirm for a bit.

Kai'sa: Cold.

Y/N: Save her if you want, mama bear, just don't include me. I've had enough shenanigans for a lifetime.

Hawk: On that, we are all agreed. Now, to the matter of where we go from here.

He clicked a button and the video switched to show a chart, a view count apparently. That. That can't be right. Holy fuck.

Kai'sa: Is that, um, correct?

Ahri: So many zeroes. . .

Evelynn: Oh my. . .

Akali: Put me down!

Akali was unceremoniously dumped to the floor, rubbing her head and glancing at the screen.

Akali: Holy fuck!

Hawk smirked.

Hawk: As of this moment, Pop/Stars has accrued over five million downloads and fifteen million views across all streaming platforms.

Y/N: How long has the song been out?

Hawk: Less than a day.

Akali threw herself at Ahri, who toppled back into the cushions at the unexpected force.

Akali: Ahri, we did it! We did it! We did it!

Evelynn: It appears so. Guess that song wasn't as contrived as I thought.

She sent you a lazy wink.

Y/N: Let's not celebrate just yet. A single is likely to do better than a full album. But this is a good proof of concept.

Kai'sa snickered to herself, reaching over and patting your head.

Kai'sa: Proof of concept? Fifteen million people see your work and you call it a 'proof of concept?' You're so ambitious. I love it. Still, I can't believe that many people have seen my choreography.

Hawk: I agree with the girls. This is proof of concept; it shows that there's enough interest in your brand to warrant the label working with you for a full album. But. . . go fucking wild. You struck it big in hours, that's rare as fuck.

You nearly choked on your own spit.

Y/N: Since when were you all gung-ho about wild celebrations?

Hawk: Bold of you to assume that's my only motive.

He produced six pink wristbands that each read 'K/DA. VIP.' Holding them out to the girls. Each took one and looked them over.

Hawk: You remember Xiong? The owner of the club we went to a while ago? Well, he's debuting the song in his club tonight and wants us all there to attend. People get to meet you girls and we all get free drinks and our own section. You won't have to perform or anything, just shake hands and maybe take pictures.

Akali beamed like she was just handed a golden ticket to Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. Evelynn looked less enthused but didn't protest.

Kai'sa looked uncharacteristically grim.

Kai'sa: No offense. . . but I'd rather not be treated as a glass doll in a porcelain castle for people to ogle at. If we're going to a club then I'm going to be in the midst of the chaos. I'm giving them a show on the dance floor. Meeting a line of people and shaking hands doesn't feel personal enough.

You smiled to yourself. It took a certain type of person to reject the easy meet-and-greet stuff in favor of doing something more interactive with the fanbase. You had been to a few book signings at stores and conventions, they were dull affairs for the most part and made you feel a bit guilty. A person would stand in line just to get a signature – there was no personal connection or effort required from you. You had tried in the earlier days to really get to know each fan but your assigned handler at the events seemed to make it their life goal to rush them away. It ended up feeling like an empty experience. What Kai'sa was proposing was exactly how you would have liked to handle those situations.

Ahri: Are you sure that's a good idea? Crowds can get. . . messy. . . especially when it comes to celebrities. What if you get hurt?

There was a bright flash of purple and the sound of rushing air. You blinked, looking around. Ahri and Kai'sa were gone. Evelynn smirked and cast her gaze upward. You followed suit and saw Kai'sa standing on the ceiling, her weird drone things hovering underneath her. She was holding Ahri by the ankles and laughing softly as the fox flailed.

With another flash and a blur of movement, the girls were back in their seats. Kai'sa crossed her legs and smirked while Ahri looked like she was going to be sick.

Hawk: Well, I think that settles it.

He clapped his hands and stood.

Hawk: I trust you all to handle yourselves so interact with the crowd as you see fit. I'll do my best to keep Xiong happy and the drinks coming.

The girls all looked at each other.

Ahri: I think we give the crowd a proper show for our debut. What say you?

Every hand in the room flew up.

_______________________________________

You once again found yourself sitting in the club. Pink and blue lights beamed across the room and the sound was deafening. Pop/Stars blared over the speakers and the crowd below was losing their minds as Kai'sa twirled in their midst, almost like she was walking on air. She probably was actually hovering above the ground now that you thought about it, she could obviously defy gravity.

Akali and Evelynn were on stage, singing their parts live after having made their entrance via smoke bomb. It was extra is the most Akali way possible. The smile on Akali's sweat-stained face was one of the most beautiful things you had ever seen. The sheer joy of it was overwhelming. She was in her element, the thing that the lived for. Evelynn kept shooting glances at her, a small smirk of her own forming as she backed Akali up – letting the rapper take the spotlight.

Three pink swirls that almost resembled hearts danced in the air above the crowd. Ahri leaned an elbow on the railing next to you and made the energy spheres dance around with the music with her other hand. She looked. . . proud? Her hand danced lazily in the air like she was conducting a melodic symphony.

Y/N: Shouldn't you be down with them?

Ahri turned an eyelid up and looked thoughtful.

Ahri: No. I'm happy up here. They put in the work and they deserve the attention. Wouldn't be fair for me to be down there hogging all the glory.

Y/N: Does the spotlight love you that much?

Ahri: I'm afraid so. It's a curse really. No one seems to be immune to it. I've even seen your eyes wander; don't think I haven't noticed.

She emphasized the point with a hip sway and a cocky smirk.

Y/N: Pft. You're not my type.

Ahri: Ah. right. I presume the smart-mouthed ball of energy on stage would be?

Y/N: Not always. . .

Ahri: Oh?

You grimaced. Despite becoming very close to the girls since your arrival in Korea, you haven't given the girls a whole lot to work with. Aside from your writing and what Akali had told them they knew very little about you or your past. If you were going to start somewhere it might as well be with her. Ahri also felt like the right person to approach first about it.

Y/N: Ever heard of the artist Sona?

The fox turned her full attention to you.

Ahri: Sona? Yeah, actually. I consider her a good friend. Haven't talked to her in a while. We kind of lost contact after she had this big breakup with her partner.

Y/N: She ever mention the name of her oh-so-great partner?

Ahri: Yeah actually, it was-

Her eyes widened and took on that golden glow you were becoming increasingly familiar with. The orbs in the air burst into smoke and she pushed herself upright.

Ahri: You.

You nodded and turned your attention below. The song ended and all of the girls took a bow before they started mingling with the clubgoers.

Y/N: Hilarious how so many news articles can mention your name. . . and yet no one ever recognizes it afterward.

Ahri: I had a tough time connecting you to that violent drunk those articles made you out to be.

You rolled your neck and sighed, trying to avoid staring into the accusing golden irises boring holes into the side of your skull.

Y/N: I suppose that should be encouraging. I like to think of that person and myself as different people. That man was a violent and jealous wretch – quick to anger.

Ahri folded her arms, obviously trying to restrain herself. The cold stare was almost attractive in a way.

Ahri: Could have fooled me. What changed? Actually, what the fuck happened? You were that girl's world before that drama.

It was not a story you were proud of, but if anyone here might be able to understand, it would probably be Ahri.

Y/N: I went out drinking with a guy I met one night while Sona was meeting with her manager. I searched her out after getting back to the hotel and saw her manager turn violent with her. I pounced on him and beat him within an inch of his pathetic life. Security arrived and took a statement. I was taken away and kicked out of the country. No charges.

Ahri frowned.

Ahri: That's it? Sona didn't back you up or anything? Did you see it wrong? How drunk were you?

Normally you would have taken those as accusations, but this was Ahri. She was genuinely asking you these questions to figure out your side of the story. A quick glance at her blue irises confirmed it. Her more relaxed posture helped as well.

Y/N: According to the detectives who interrogated me, the security cameras showed I hadn't actually gone drinking at all. In fact, I didn't have any drugs or alcohol in my body when they tested me. Sona said he didn't get rough with her at all and I just walked in and randomly attacked him after he offered me a warm greeting.

Ahri: That. . . none of that makes sense.

Y/N: You're telling me. I tried to bury it in my mind and moved passed it. Figured I was delusional.

Ahri: And they didn't investigate it at all? Just assumed you were lying and sent you packing?

Y/N: That's the gist of it. Pretty easy to see why in retrospect. Less messy to assume the guy known for bar-room brawls and drinking heavily just snapped one day.

Ahri: Hm. . . why haven't I seen you like that with Akali? She gets herself into plenty of trouble and – aside from the scuffle with your cousin – I haven't seen you raise a hand to anyone.

She emphasized the point by pointing out Akali over at the bar. She was taking shots with a few people and shaking hands. She looked happy.

Y/N: Well, I like to think people can change. I think that I've changed since then – grown into someone more respectable. And Sona was a special case. She was a glass doll that was incapable of raising a hand or defending herself from anything. I don't blame her for it, but it's just how she was. I felt more like a bodyguard and less like a partner most of the time. But with Akali it's different. The girl is a fucking ninja, she can outfight anyone in this room aside from one of you supernatural beings. She isn't fragile, you can't break her with a word or a punch, she'll actually just get madder and give you the same back tenfold.

You allowed yourself a laugh. Ahri gave you a knowing look.

Ahri: You said the other part was jealousy. Do you feel that way seeing her drinking and partying with other people? Touching other guys?

Y/N: Jealousy is an extension of worry. I don't need to worry about her. I've never not trusted her. Ever since we were kids. Even after she showed up on my doorstep after disappearing for years. No matter where things take us, she always ends up back with me.

Ahri: Careful, you almost sound sentimental.

Akali: What are we talking about?

You and Ahri both jumped as Akali suddenly appeared between you. Her face was a mess of sweat and her outfit was completely disheveled. She leaned over and poked Ahri's nose.

Akali: BOOP! Gotcha fox-face!

Ahri: Fucking ninja! Come here!

Akali: Uh-oh.

She winked at you before pushing off the ground and flipping back over the railing into the crowd, just barely avoiding Ahri.

Ahri: Oh no you don't. Come here. Ahri ran to the staircase to chase the rapper, almost pushing over the poor souls in her wake.

You felt a small warmth bubble in your chest at the sight. This felt right. Putting up with the girls and their shenanigans, it felt like something that you had always been missing.

You got a notification on your phone, a message.

Unknown number: Hey, it's been a while. . . I saw the video. Akali looks good, been a while since I've seen her. I know you worked on it and that You and Colt are in Korea. We should meet up; all of us should. For old-time's sake. . .

You stared dumbfounded at your phone. You recognized the number.

Unknown number: And I figured out what happened that night. . . we need to talk.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.7K 624 21
You, yes you! You are a college graduate and who is in search for your dream of being a "Decent" entertainer "but your then somehow in a mess with 5...
11K 203 7
Y/N is your average college graduate. Stuck in a dead end retail job. With his small amount of luck, he's landed a few good friends, and ended up in...
181K 3.9K 62
A Male Reader x K/DA Story, inspired by @Katsuwumi and her story The Outsider (Check it out!) Y/N L/N is a well-known musician. While going on tour...
68K 2.1K 22
High school, the bane of any and all teenager's lives. Most of them want to be in relationships, build friendships, have fun, drink, do drugs, have s...