Infirmitas

By YrisYsabella

The underground world of mafias was shaken when merciless, cunning Jin ascended as the leader of their organi... More

Characters
Chapter 1: The Grim Reaper and The Pale Man
Chapter 2: A Siren and a snake
Chapter 3: Tiger Flower and his leverage
Chapter 4: The Gentlemen of Hope
Chapter 5: My Saving Grace
Chapter 6: A Fallen Angel
Chapter 7: A Guilty Pleasure
Chapter 8: A Fatal Attraction
Chapter 10: Reign of Terror
Chapter 11: An Interrogation
Chapter 12: Lifeline
Chapter 13: A Whirlwind Romance
Chapter 14: My Guardian Angel
Chapter 15: Achilles' Heel
Chapter 16: A Chink in the Armor
Chapter 17: Collateral Damage
Chapter 18: A Change of Heart
Chapter 19: Tried and True
Chapter 20: Ghosted
Chapter 21: Elpis
Chapter 22: The Truth Untold
Chapter 23: A Lull before the Storm
Chapter 24: Treachery
Chapter 25: Goodbye, My Love
Chapter 26: Dead Man Walking
Chapter 27: Annihilation
Chapter 28: Changed
Chapter 29: Forgiven and Forgotten
Chapter 30: Lost and Found
Epilogue: Amor Vincit Omnia

Chapter 9: Mayday

27 2 1
By YrisYsabella

Hoseok's POV

I quickly pulled up in front of the small hospital. I hastily turned off the engine and fumbled with my keys. I hopped off the car hurriedly. What happened? I'm extremely worried. I got a call from Becky, the hospital nurse, ten minutes before. She said Jungkook was brought in. I went to the reception and asked where to see him.

I found him lying on the bed still unconscious. I looked around to see if there's someone I can talk to about his condition. Luckily, Becky came in.

"What happened to him?"

"Don't worry too much. He just fainted because of shock."

"Shock?"

"The guy who brought him in said that he just lost consciousness when he saw him...plucking the feathers of a chicken. Maybe because of the sight of blood? Does he have an aversion to that?"

"He doesn't. Wait, who brought him in?"

"I actually haven't seen him ever. It's my first time meeting him."

Who is that guy?

"Where is he?"

"You didn't see him? He was just here when I left to make rounds."

"There's nobody here."

"Maybe he already left. Maybe he just brought him in. He knew very little about Jungkook. Just his name. So the paper works. You still have to complete it at the admissions."

I nodded.

"We don't really have to worry? He's fine?"

"He is. Just a drop in his heart rate and blood pressure. But he's since stabilized."

I let out a sigh of relief. Should I call Jin hyung? But he'll get worried. And he'll be mad. I don't want to disappoint him. But then he'll be even madder if he learned about this from somebody else. I will tell him later. I have to know what happened first.

I stared at Jungkook's face. It was far from being serene. His forehead was creased. Is he having a nightmare? He's stirring. I went closer to hold his hand. His eyes slowly opened. He looked at me and sniffed.

"Hoseok hyung."

His eyes filled and tears spilled out.

"Why?" I asked.

"Chicken." He cried. "Chicken is dead."

Chicken? Chicken was the one getting plucked? No wonder he fainted. Our poor Kookie. He loved Chicken. He bawled on my chest. I hugged him tight and rubbed his back to console him.

"He killed Chicken." He wailed.

"Who killed Chicken?"

His cries grew louder.

Jungkook was discharged immediately. Luckily, there were no physical health concerns seen. However, the event obviously caused him emotional distress. He wept nonstop. I brought him home so he would not be alone. I also asked Namjoon to stay the night with us. I haven't called Jin hyung. I still don't know what to tell him. Jungkook doesn't want to disclose what happened. It's as if he wants to hide something. I need to know who killed Chicken. Who is he and why does it seem like Jungkook is hiding his identity?

I went to his trailer to investigate. I really don't want to. The way here is so dark and full of insects and frogs. And snakes. I hate snakes! But I have to. I must get to the bottom of things. Jungkookie is my responsibility. Jin hyung entrusted him to me. I can't protect him if I don't know what's happening.

I walked towards his trailer with my phone in my hand. It's really dark. The swaying white sheets hanged on the clothesline do not help. It makes me imagine that some ghastly form will appear when they get blown by the wind. Jungkookie, why do you always have to wash the sheets? It's eerily quiet too. How can you leave in a place like this? Was that a cluck? But Chicken is gone now. Is that Chicken's spirit?

"Chicken. I bring you no harm."

My voice was shaking. Where was Chicken's body anyway? I have to find it so we can give it a proper funeral. I got to the door. It was locked. I brought out two hairpins and started picking on the keyhole. It opened. Not so rusty yet. I went in and roamed my eyes. There's nothing out of place. It's serene. Clean and organized. Just like how I thought him. But an empty glass and some cookies were left on the table. I'm itching to clean it. But I shouldn't. I never went here.

I caught a movement outside, behind the trailer. I hesitantly peered through the window. It's so dark out. It's really scary. Is there someone outside? Don't spring up on me. I flashed a light towards the ground. There's blood. That must be where Chicken is. I looked around the trailer once more. There really wasn't anything astray. I exited and slowly walked to the back. I heard footsteps.

"Who's there? Is there anyone here?"

I will kill you when I see you. You're scaring me! All I heard was the sound of crickets. Maybe it's just my imagination. I continued walking and reached the spot I've seen from the inside. The ground was stained with dried blood. And feathers were scattered and getting blown around. But Chicken. Chicken was nowhere to be seen. Maybe a snake got to it first? Too bad that we didn't have its body.

I found Namjoon reading on the porch when I came home.

"How's Kookie?"

"He's calmed down. He already fell asleep."

"Thank you."

"Don't mention it. He's like a brother to me too." He smiled warmly.

"Did he tell you what happened?"

He pursed his lips.

"Are you in on his secret?"

"What secret?"

"I know that you two are hiding something from me. How could you? I thought we're friends?"

He chuckled. "It's nothing. Really."

I squinted my eyes at him. "I don't believe you."

"It's not my secret to tell. But don't worry. It's harmless."

"Harmless? Look at what happened today."

"I think it's just an honest mistake. Though he feels bad, Kook thinks that what I think might be true. He said he wouldn't do it if he knows. He said he's nice."

"Who is he?"

"Just a friend he met."

"He met somebody? Why is he not introducing him to me?"

"Maybe he will. Just wait."

"I have to know him."

"Why are you overprotective of him?"

"Jin hyung asked me to look after him." I sighed heavily. "What will I tell him?"

"The truth. You don't know."

"He won't accept that. He absolutely has to know. He won't stop unless he knows."

Then it dawned on me. I have an idea. If you can't tell me, you will tell him. I sneered.

"Why? Why is your face like that?" He worriedly asked.

"Nothing. I'll head in first. I'm going to make a call."

■■■

Jungkook's POV

I woke up with a throbbing head and swollen eyes. I feel sad. I still can't believe Chicken is dead. Chicken didn't get to have a baby. I should have let her have a rooster husband. So he can meet her eggs and make many baby chicks. I'm sorry I was so strict. I just want Chicken to enjoy her youth. She's still so young. I just want her to play while she can. Because one day, baby chicks will always follow her around. But that day will never come anymore. I should have told Taehyungie that Chicken is my friend. She's a friend chicken. Not intended to be a fried chicken.

I sat up when I remembered something. Is she still there? Did Hoseok hyung take care of her body? I want to lay her to rest properly. She always likes to be in the dandelion field. I should bury her there.

I heard a knock. I looked to where it was coming from. Taehyung was standing outside at the balcony. I marched towards him. He was carrying a white rectangular box. I opened it. Inside was Chicken. She was laid in a bed of Tiger Flowers. Tears rolled down my cheeks. I harshly sniffed. I can't cry loud. Namjoon hyung and Hoseok hyung might be awaken.

"I'm sorry." He said, intensely looking inside the box. "I didn't know that it is dear to you."

His face twisted then he started to cry. I took the box off his hand and laid it on a table near us. I pulled him to rest his head on my shoulder and rubbed his back. His shoulders shook. He was sobbing.

"It's okay now. I forgive you."

He encircled his arms around my waist as soon as I said it. Like he was waiting to be forgiven first.

"Why are you crying?" I asked.

"I made you cry." He replied in between sobs.

I cupped his face and wiped his tears.

"I'm not crying anymore. See?"

He lifted his tear-filled eyes to gaze at me and sniveled. "You're not mad at me?"

I keenly shook my head. "You didn't know. If you knew, you will never harm her right?"

He sniffed. I dabbed his cheeks and brushed the hair off his eyes. Then I held his face and smiled while staring at him. He pressed his lips into a tight line. His cheeks puffed up like bread in the oven. I nipped it with my lips. His mouth gaped and eyes widened.

"Why did you do that?" He playfully taunted as he pinched the skin under my chin.

"I'm hungry."

"You want to eat me?"

"I do. I want to eat you." I lifted my chin.

"Try and eat me then."

He raised his fists at me. I chuckled. He's so cute.

"You want to go back to my place?"

He nodded. I'm so hungry. What shall we eat?

"Want to have some ramyeon?"

He smiled.

"Let's go."

"Okay."

I heard him say as I went back inside the room. I walked and abruptly stopped when I realized that he didn't follow. I turned back and saw that he was not there anymore. I went out again. Even the box was gone. I looked down the balcony. He was already there, staring up at me. Cool. How did he go down so fast?

"Is something wrong?" He asked.

"Nothing."

He's the coolest. Unlike him, I have to go down the stairs and use the front door.

"Chicken loved the dandelion field. I will bury her there. Do you want to join me?" I asked him.

"I will." He replied. His eyes turned sad.

I smiled and gently brushed his eyelashes with my thumb. He held my hand and placed it on his cheek as he intensely stared at me. Gazing at his eyes, I felt flutters in my stomach. I like him so much. I'm sorry Chicken. He didn't mean to do that to you. I love you. But I...love him too. It happened so fast. I fell too fast. I feel like I already love him.

"Let's go?" He asked me. His voice was low and deep.

I bobbed my head. He intertwined our fingers together. And we walked, side by side, back to my trailer. I never noticed before. He's missing a finger. What happened? I badly want to ask. But grandma said that asking about these things is rude. I'll ask some other time. I hope he won't be offended.       

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.2K 1.5K 37
Y/n is a weak girl with a strong mindset. Her life is miserable but she believes that she can pull through anything if she keeps herself together. Ju...
752K 34.2K 40
"Does my babygirl deserve it?" -~-~|•|~-~- A one night stand. That's all it was. Taehyung wouldn't call himself someone who only has one nights stand...
55.3K 3K 40
"I hate you Jungkook" , "You think you hate me? You've no idea what you're playing with. But deep down, you know you're Mine, And no amount of hate c...
56.5K 2.3K 41
The feared mafia, V, needs his money back. Instead, he finds a precious gem who has no clue about the dangers of the world. V takes what he wants and...