Born To Be A Hero

By Arrowbolt5

Alias has plenty of experience in the battlefield, but she can't possibly protect herself from the Decepticon... More

Chapter 1: This Situation Sucks
Chapter 2: Sup, Crackface?
Chapter 3: Annoying Brat
Chapter 4: Suspicious Behavior
Chapter 5: Guardians and Charges
Chapter 6: Attack
Chapter 7: Welcome to Team Prime
Chapter 8: Predicons and Gods
Chapter 9: Finding Alias
Chapter 10: Waking Up
Chapter 11: Silver Stake
Chapter 12: Have Faith
Chapter 14: Laughter
Chapter 15: Vulnerable
Chapter 16: Flight

Chapter 13: Step Forward

88 5 4
By Arrowbolt5

Ultra Magnus stepped into the main room, his optics still slightly dull from disturbed recharge. His processor had no yet gotten used to adequate rest after running so long on little sleep and survivor's guilt. He was embarrassed to admit that the memory purges he'd thought he'd been done with had started back up again after finding Alias broken in that tent.

Speaking of the girl, Magnus glanced at the door to Fowler's old office and frowned. It was wide open, and the light was on. As he walked closer, there was a flash of silver and he turned to see Alias standing across the room, her back turned toward him as she leaned against the railing. Her chin was resting on the bar and the scars on her body were painfully clear with the white tank top she wore over green cargo pants.

"What do you think would have happened," Alias asked softly, "if we had never met?"

Magnus pursed his derma and moved closer, "I am not one to believe in mystical forces, but I do believe th-"

Alias snorted loudly and looked back at him, "You don't believe in mystical forces after the shit we went through? I got possessed by a blue glowy guy and attacked a metal dragon."

"That's not mystical." Magnus crossed his arms, "Primus and Unicron are both very real. While they are powerful, unlike some, I would not consider them gods."

Alias smiled and lifted her chin from the bar to look at Magnus. There was a moment of silence and then he removed a section of the railing to sit next to her.

"I apologize for the interrogation yesterday," Magnus told her quietly.

Alias shook her head, "It's my fault. I should have been honest with you from the beginning. I understand if you're frustrated."

Magnus looked at her sharply, surprise flickering across his features.

"What?"

"I- it's just..."

Magnus frowned. Everything about Alias just seemed so wrong. Apologizing? Sincerely? It wasn't like her. He remembered her firey spirit and irritating attitude, but this?

It scared him.

"It's just that I don't think you should feel sorry at all," Magnus replied slowly, carefully choosing his next words and watching her closely. "You went through so much, and I understand if you need time to deal with it on your own."

"Wow, that's..." Alias frowned. "You changed, Magnus."

"Me?" Ultra Magnus looked at her in confusion. "Are you sure you do not have us mistaken?"

"Apologies and understanding conversations?" Alias unhappily lowered her head back to the bar. "I thought if we ever saw each other again, you'd be ordering me around and being a snarky piss ant."

Magnus scowled, "I am still a snarky piss ant."

"What?"

Alias's head snapped up and she started laughing, a genuine, nice laugh. Magnus looked at her and he could practically feel his spark flickering joyfully. Alias finished her bout of laughter and looked at him with an expression that knocked Magnus back into reality.

Clearing his throat, Magnus shifted uncomfortable under her stare, "Perhaps I do not know what a snarky piss ant is, but I assumed from your connotations that it was a compliment."

"You can take it as a compliment." Alias grinned, "I miss the old days. You and I never really got to let our rivalry flourish without divine intervention."

Magnus dipped his helm in agreeance, "That is accurate."

With a small yawn, Alias leaned over, her small warm body pressing against his leg. His shoulders imperceptibly tensed in discomfort. She didn't seem to notice, a faraway look growing in her eyes as she sighed.

"I miss my clan."

Magnus sighed. He knew this would come about eventually. Her ties with them were far stronger than her ties with the Autobots. He was just disappointed that the only being he'd truly established a connection with in millennia was not equally willing to stay by his side. She had a life to attend to, and unlike him, she would not abandon it for a short relationship that spawned five years ago.

"I met your replacement, Rose," Magnus spoke up. "She is doing quite well in your absence. Her interrogation was somewhat impressive... for a human."

"Rose?" Alias mumbled. "Rose."

Magnus looked at her with a frown, "She seemed to have known you quite well. Do you not remember her?"

"I... I've had some trouble remembering my life as a human." Alias admitted slowly. "After Primus teleported me back into existence, I could only remember flashes of my life at all. Feeling associated with people or objects or activities. It's been getting better."

Magnus wanted her to elaborate on that, but it was the most she'd willingly revealed about her time away without getting upset and Magnus did not wish to make her bring her walls back up again.

"I remembered you," Alias told him. "I remembered a lot of Team Prime, but everything else was... blurry. I guess Primus is a bit more of a butt than most of history likes to admit."

Magnus nodded, "Power tends to corrupt those who possess it."

"Coming from the second in command of the newly rebuilt Cybertron, that's saying something," Alias snorted quietly.

"I'm... not second in command anymore. Bumblebee took my place."

"Bumblebee?" Alias frowned and looked up. "He's a scout though, and you're way more qualified."

"Abandoning the Autobots by staying on Earth... it cost my rank. Optimus was not happy to do it, but I understood. I stepped down and chose Bumblebee to replace me after he was promoted to warrior class."

"I'm so sorry." Alias looked down again and became very quiet. "I know you were very proud of your position."

"I was proud to be important," Magnus corrected. "I am still proud to be important to you."

There was a moment of silence before Alias stood up, her eyes downcast. Magnus frowned, spotting something akin to guilt or shame on her small face. His gaze flickered down to her legs as she wobbled in place.

"Ratchet did not clear you from the wheelchair."

"Yeah, well, Ratchet may be a great doctor, but he isn't my boss." Alias huffed, heading for the door to Fowler's old office. "I'm tired. I'm going to go get some sleep."

Magnus pursed his derma and resisted the urge to scold her for disobeying Ratchet. Instead, he only watched as Alias limped to the door and paused when her hand touched the handle.

"Magnus?" she asked, turning around.

"Yes?"

Alias didn't make eye contact, instead keeping her gaze on the floor. She let out a long, shaky breath, and quivered.

"Goodnight," she told him quickly before slipping inside ans shutting the door.

Magnus offlined his optics for a moment and sighed.

"Goodnight, Alias."

He lingered for a moment before heading back to the berthrooms, his thoughts in a dark place. Had he screwed up again? Making her feel bad was foolish of him. It was not intentional, but he'd been thinking of her so much these last few years, and his feelings had only grown. She was so easy to talk to.

Magnus paused as his berthroom door swung open and someone stepped out. At the sight of Magnus, he immediately froze.

"Ratchet... what are you doing?"

Ratchet shot Magnus a glare, "It's none of your business."

"You were in my berthroom."

"Yes." Ratchet seemed to be scrambling for an excuse, but after a pregnant silence, he huffed. "Fine. I was attempting to monitor you."

"Why?"

"Despite being gone the last few years, I still believe Alias and you are connected through the link Primus established during her tenor as his host," Ratchet explained. "Through this means, I have a higher chance of discovering any issues she may have that are occuring on your side of the bond."

"Bond?" Magnus frowned.

Ratchet nodded, "I realized you were both emotionally connected when you both began to have nightmares."

"Wha- I don't-" Magnus scowled and shut his intake.

"Yeah," Ratchet walked past, "and that is why I decided to take matters into my own servos."

Ratchet continued walking and Magnus watched him go with a deep frown etched into his features. A moment after the doctor turned the corner, Magnus went into his room and shut the door behind him. He leaned against it and stared at his berth.

Alias was having nightmares too? Had they been connected this whole time, even when she was gone? Why couldn't he feel the bond? Could she?

Was this why he loved Alias so much, even though she'd spent less time with him than countless other mecha? Her annoying attitude had bothered him so much, and it didn't make any sense that she be the one he bring down his walls for.

Was the bond the only reason he loved her?

Magnus offlined his optics and shuttered. Primus, he hoped not.

Optimus's words came back to him, so Alias may not be the girl we once knew, but she is still here. The sound of Alias's laugh echoed in his audio receivers and brought a small smile to his face.

Who cared what made him love her in the beginning? All that mattered now was that he loved her still and he would do everything in his power to keep her safe, and to keep her laughing.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.9K 507 20
Alias was a master hacker, her services to the government could never be repaid, especially when she finds something extraordinary. When Team Prime n...
50.7K 1.6K 43
"One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it."- Master Oogway --- ~ BOOK 1 OF THE LIGHTBLADE SERIES Fate sometimes leads us to vario...
2.2K 158 17
Alias is an unusual girl. She doesn't remember who she was when she was younger, her first memory was as a 6 year old, stumbling through the woods in...
891 38 24
Megatron thought his fate was to rule over Cybertron like he meant to be from the beginning. Now he is ripped from everything he used to know (thanks...