Sign of the Times

By TheQuietHufflepuff

Connie and Bucky are doing their best to live a peaceful life. For awhile everything is fine. Then it all com... More

Aesthetic and Playlist
Part One
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
Part Two
An Awakening First Meeting
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
2018-2023
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
Book Three

08

40 0 0
By TheQuietHufflepuff

SPACE

Maw was interrogating Doctor Strange. Doctor Strange was floating horizontally, face down, and was surrounded by dozens of glassy needles, each about two feet long.

Maw said, "In all the time I've served Thanos, I've never failed him. If I were to reach our rendezvous on Titan with the Time Stone still attached to your vaguely irritating person, there would be... judgement." The needles started to contact Doctor Strange's face, causing an obviously painful whitish subcutaneous glow at each touch. "Give me... the Stone."

Tony was watching, hidden, from above. The Cloak of Levitation tapped him on the arm. He raised his hand to it, ready to shoot, but he saw what it was and stood down.

"Wow you're a seriously loyal piece of outerwear, aren't you?" Tony said.

"Yeah, uh, speaking of loyalty...." Peter began.

Tony and the Cloak turned to face Peter, dropping down from above. "What the-"

"I know what you're gonna say."

"You should not be here."

The Cloak moved to "stand" at Tony's side.

"I was gonna go home-" Peter was cut off.

"I don't wanna hear it," Tony argued.

"But it was such a long way down and I just thought about you on the way..."

"And now I gotta hear it."

The Cloak shook its collar in sympathy and shrugged.

Peter continued. "...And I kinda stuck to the side of the ship. And this suit is ridiculously intuitive, by the way. So if anything, it's kinda your fault that I'm here."

Tony, under his breath, muttered, "God damnit..." The Cloak looked shocked. Tony's tone became serious. "What did you just say?"

"I take that back. And now I'm here in space."

"Yeah." He crossed to stand right in front of Peter. "Right where I don't want you to be. This isn't Coney Island. This isn't a field trip. It's a one-way ticket. You hear me? Don't pretend like you thought this through. You could not have possibly thought this through."

"No. I did think this through."

"You could not have possibly thought this through."

"It's just... you can't be a friendly neighborhood Spider-Man if there's no neighborhood." He waited for Tony's reaction. "Okay. That didn't really make any sense, but you know what I'm trying to say."

Tony breathed shakily, realizing he couldn't beat Peter's logic. "Come on. We got a situation." He led Peter over to a viewpoint on the torture below. Peter crouched to study the situation, the Cloak leaning over his shoulder. "See him down there? He's in trouble. What's your plan? Go."

"Um. Okay, okay... uh..." Peter and the Cloak popped back upright. "Okay. Did you ever see this really old movie, Aliens?"

The Cloak lifted its collar in surprise.

---

Maw was still interrogating Doctor Strange, who groaned loudly. "Painful aren't they? They were originally designed for microsurgery. And any one of them..."

At the "thump" behind him, Maw turned to see Iron Man standing there, hand repulsors ready to fire.

"...Could end your friend's life in an instant," Maw finished.

"I gotta tell you, he's not really my friend," Tony said. "Saving his life is more a professional courtesy."

Maw walked slowly towards Iron Man, beckoning very large, very solid metal objects to float behind him. "You've saved nothing. Your powers are inconsequential compared to mine."

"Yeah, but the kid's seen more movies."

Iron Man fired a rocket from his shoulder which pierced the side of the ship to Maw's right and began to suck everything out with depressurization, especially Maw and his large objects. Doctor Strange was pulled loose of his pinnings, lost the needles, but also headed for the hole, helpless to resist. The Cloak wrapped around his arm and an anchor point, but Doctor Strange's arm slipped loose and he kept going. Spider-Man shot a web strand at Doctor Strange with one hand and held onto a piece of the ship with the other. It broke, sending them both towards space when his Iron-Spider suit's metal arms braced him to keep him from being sucked out. Fortunately, Doctor Strange was still surrounded by the ship's atmosphere making haste to leave.

"Yes!" Peter cried. "Wait what are those?!"

Spider-Man crouched with his new spider-legs, and made a mighty leap to pull them both back inside. Iron Man quickly sprayed nanites onto the hole to plug it up. Doctor Strange safely, if emphatically, hit the floor. Maw was floating in space, quite dead, ice from the escaped atmosphere frosting over his grimace. Spider-Man landed on his new legs, retracted them, and found the Cloak "standing" next to him.

"Hey, we haven't officially met," Peter said, offering the Cloak his hand to shake. It ignored his offer and continued to Doctor Strange. "Cool."

Iron Man walked past Doctor Strange, shaking his head and with his armor retreating into its containment as Doctor Strange got to his feet and became en-Cloaked.

"We've gotta turn this ship around," Doctor Strange said.

"Yeah. Now he wants to run. Great plan," Tony retorted.

"No, I want to protect the Stone."

Tony walked towards the expansive front view-port, showing a hyper speed/warp effect before saying irritably, "And I want you to thank me now. Go ahead, I'm listening."

"For what? Nearly blasting me into space?"

"Who just saved your magical ass? Me."

"I seriously don't know how you fit your head into that helmet."

"Admit it. You should have ducked out when I told you to. I tried to bench you. You refused."

"Unlike everyone else in your life, I don't work for you."

"And due to that fact, we're now in a flying doughnut billions of miles away from Earth with no backup."

Peter raised his hand. "I'm backup."

"No. You're a stowaway." He waggled a finger between himself and Doctor Strange. "The adults are talking."

"I'm sorry, I'm confused as to the relationship here," Doctor Strange said. "Wh -- what is he, your ward?"

"No," Peter replied. "I'm Peter, by the way."

"Doctor Strange."

"Oh, we're using our made-up names. Um... I'm Spider-Man, then."

"This ship is self-correcting its course," Tony informed. "Thing's on autopilot."

Doctor Strange walked closer to Tony and asked, "Can we control it? Fly us home?" Tony was lost in bad memories and didn't respond right away. "Stark?"

"Yeah?"

"Can you get us home?"

"Yeah I heard you. I'm thinking... I'm not so sure we should."

"Under no circumstance can we bring the Time Stone to Thanos. I don't think you quite understand what's at stake here."

Tony stalked over to Doctor Strange. "No. It's you who doesn't understand, that Thanos has been inside my head for six years since he sent an army to New York and now he's back! And I don't know what to do. So I'm not so sure if it's a better plan to fight him on our turf or his but you saw what they did, what they can do. At least on his turf, he's not expecting it. So I say we take the fight to him. Doctor. Do you concur?"

Doctor Strange paused. "All right, Stark. We go to him. But you have to understand... if it comes to saving you or the kid or the Time Stone... I will not hesitate to let either of you die. I can't, because the fate of the universe depends on it."

"Nice. Good. Moral compass. We're straight." Stepping over to Peter, he formally tapped both of Peter's shoulders with the edge of his hand, dubbing him as was done at a knighting. "All right, kid. You're an Avenger now." He didn't look at him as he said those words, knowing well what he was signing him up for.

Peter looked at Tony in disbelief, then cycled through delight, satisfaction, pride and determination, and braced himself for what was to come.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

326K 6.5K 43
Different imagines of situations with different marvel characters - most will be avengers - I do not own any of the marvel characters- all rights fo...
2K 91 30
An attempt to create an AI to better the world epically fails and now the heroes are forced to deal with a new threat, and experimented upon twins wh...
4.3K 181 43
After a mishap on a mission, it's decided the Avengers need to be monitored. But not all agree. And on top of all that, one is blamed for something...
1.7K 68 38
An alien threatens to wipe out half of all life on Earth. Pure genocide. The heroes try their best to stop him, but ultimately fail in the end. Tim...