What it takes to be Hokage

By Raihantheruler

Naruto has always wanted to be the Hokage but does he really understand what it means to wear the Hokage's ha... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32

Chapter 7

1.1K 44 6
By Raihantheruler

Naruto never spammed the shadow clone technique more than he spammed it while with the Uzumaki. He created about three clones per Shinobi willing to teach him anything in fuinjutsu, which was almost all of them, as most of them took his lack of sealing knowledge like a personal insult. They were particularly interested in that technique but they never asked Naruto to teach it which Naruto found weird but he never said anything about it. If they wanted to know how to do the Kage Bunshin technique, then they would ask.

The original Naruto asked one of the earth style Uzumaki to create a spike for him, like the ones he had learned how to meditate on with the toads. And that was where he sat while his clones learnt the art of fuinjutsu, keeping still so that his mind could absorb all that he learnt.

The Uzumaki admired the fact that he could be still for such long periods of time and Naruto was amazed that none of them had ever considered meditating. They were all brilliant in intellect but not one of them could sit very still for very long. While he meditated he could always, at any given moment in the day, sense several Uzumaki watching him intently. It was the most entertaining thing for them, aside from popping his clones.

Naruto had been invited to speak with the Head of the clan on many occasions and after six months with the Uzumaki he became his personal apprentice, something he was told was a great honour. Naruto had a silly grin plastered on his features for over two weeks.

Mito was the one to teach him the Uzumaki customs. Naruto thought it was hilarious that they had the most lax way of being formal he'd ever seen. He'd been to a few of the clan compounds later on in his life with Shikamaru, Choji, Ino and Kiba, so he knew that it was quite the occasion to have guests over to dinner.

The second time Naruto had been brought before the clan head he'd sweated bullets, trying to remember how to be formal, since the first time he'd been far too concerned with his surroundings and the words that he'd been saying. It wasn't easy and he'd gotten a full belly laugh for his troubles. After that Naruto came to realise that the Uzumaki had a different sort of culture, one that was intriguing and meaningful. They were all family to each other. They gave without expecting anything in return. Yet Naruto knew that they had a temper that could rival the Kyuubi's. He'd seen it in action when a husband returned home late from a night out with the guys. His wife, well, he wondered if his own father had had to endure a temper like that.

But an Uzumaki temper was the very definition of passion. It burned hot and it burned bright but it also burned out very quickly. It was there and then it wasn't; only after a suitable punishment had been delivered.

Turned out the Uzumaki were also proficient at kenjutsu and most of them had great fun popping Naruto's shadow clones with many different kinds of swords, much to the blonde's annoyance since they usually did it while he was learning something. Naruto himself had fun showing them just what stealth meant. When asked why anyone would ever want to hide their presence, he replied, "To create the ultimate prank." And that was how a whole range of new stealth seals were created.

Naruto missed Hashirama, Tobirama, Izuna and Madara like it was nobody's business. He wished he could go to them, talk with them and train with them, but it was never that simple. He knew he would just have to be patient and that had never been his strong point.

Naruto was with the Uzumaki for exactly eight months before they were reminded that outside their compound, clans were still at war with each other. It wasn't that Naruto had forgotten. It was more like the Uzumaki didn't appear to take as much of an active role. Not as much as the Uchiha and the Senju had.

"Honourable One, there is a breach in the barrier to the east. We estimate three of a higher class."

Naruto looked up from the seal he and the Head of the Clan were studying. He sighed and looked away. He really hated these petty fights.

"Well then, they shall have to be dealt with, reminded why it's foolish to mess with the Uzumaki. Perhaps, brother Naruto can go with two others. We have yet to see him in battle. It is still undetermined which fighting style he uses." The Clan Head mused.

"As you order Honourable One." Naruto replied with a bow. The Uzumaki were pretty strict on respect and you wouldn't get it if you didn't deserve it but you sure as hell better give it.

Naruto stood at the gates of the compound, waiting for his assigned teammates. He had walked there slowly, deep in his own thoughts. Would he have to kill those that had intruded? It would not be the first time he killed but he still did not want to.

However, he Madara, Izuna, Tobirama and Hashirama and decided it was time to start making a name for themselves. After all, the first half of their plan was to get strong enough to protect their village which meant stronger than everyone else. Already he'd heard the talk among the Uzumaki, of Hashirama and Madara's feats in battle. He heard about their clashes, when the Senju and the Uchiha were at it again, choosing to keep fighting each other rather than kill the other's clansmen and the clashes were already becoming well known. It was only Naruto who had yet to make a name for himself. Hell, he'd even heard small snippet of Tobirama and Izuna's accomplishments, but always over shadowed by their brothers. That wouldn't last long. They were powerful in their own right.

Naruto closed his eyes before making a decision, he would let the Shinobi know about the blond haired Uzumaki named Naruto! And that meant not killing them.

"Let's go Gaki. Honourable One said that you're in charge of this mission." A new voice chuckled from next to him. Naruto's eyes snapped open, surprised at the sudden promotion and he grinned wildly. "Sure. I hope you two can keep up." Then they were out the compound gates and racing across the grassy plains that dominated the east side.

Naruto didn't slow down when he sensed the three Shinobi slinking their way through the grass, gradually making their way towards the Uzumaki compound. Instead he fluctuated his chakra to let them know he was coming.

He saw them, rising from the long grass to see who had come. They were nobodies, no clan markings at least. They could have come from anywhere and that was probably the point. Naruto grinned before flashing right past the first one and going for the second, confusing them. He leapt into the air before delivering a devastating kick to the ninja's head. While the ninja was still air born Naruto slammed his elbow into their chest, causing them to crash straight back to the ground.

That one would not be moving just yet.

Naruto doubled back for the first one, the exchange between him and the ninja having lasted no longer than two seconds. He had wanted to emulate his father, as Konoha's yellow flash and as such he'd increased his speed to match as much as he'd been able in the short time that had passed. He knew he still had a ways to go but it was a start.

"Taijutsu rule number one, never let the enemy get behind you!" Naruto declared before performing that nightmare inducing jutsu Kakashi had performed on him. "A Thousand Years of Death no Jutsu!"

The horrified scream was enough to petrify the third Shinobi in his tracks.

Naruto approached him with a large smile on his face, but it was a Sai kind of smile. "So what was it you guys were after eh?" he asked the ninja politely.

"T-the seal f-formula for the barrier that surrounds the c-compound."

"Oh. Why don't you just make your own? It's really not all that hard. Stealing isn't very nice you know." Naruto lectured as though speaking to a small child and the two Uzumaki with him were snickering under their breath, each one watching over a ninja.

"So fast." The enemy ninja replied helplessly and Naruto was forced to conclude that he was a little shell shocked.

"Duh." Naruto chided, flicking the ninja's forehead. "What do want me to do, stand still so you can hit me? No thanks. You should leave now, take your friends with you and really, you shouldn't come back." Naruto continued to lecture while the ninja's two teammates were tossed back at him.

Naruto knew that this single encounter would not be enough to garner much of a reputation but more like it and he would build one quickly. He grinned at the thought while watching the enemy ninja high tail it out of there with an awkward waddle as he had to carry his teammates with him.

"You know, I was actually starting to like that guy." Naruto mock sniffed, wiping a fake tear from his eye.

"Yeah and I didn't get to see any of your fighting style." His teammate sniffed dramatically as well.

"If you're that bugged by it, all you had to do was ask." Naruto laughed.

"But seriously kid, just how good are you?"

"I dunno but awesome is definitely in there somewhere!" Naruto grinned, starting the trip back to the compound.

"What's awesome?"

Naruto felt a Hashirama-like depression coming on. He sometimes forgot that diction from his time and this time were slightly different.

"Awesome is inspiring an overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration or fear causing or inducing awe." Naruto quoted in a toneless voice. Man, explaining a joke just took the funny right out of it. "Like me." Naruto added, just to make himself feel better.

They were nearing the compound again, having not been all that far from it in the first place.

"Awesome? Sounds good. Uzumaki are awesome, awe inspiring."

"Ohkay, now you're just over doing it." Naruto informed them seriously.

Nonetheless, from that day onwards, everything to the Uzumaki was awesome.

.0.0.0.

"Naruto-kun!"

Said Shinobi was standing on top of a pillar of rock he'd just learned how to create, yelling out his victory with numerous "Yatta!"s. Upon hearing his name, the seventeen year old looked down with the classic "Eh?" expression to see Mito running towards him with the biggest grin she could manage.

"Guess what blondie! We're going to see Hashi-kun and Tobi-kun! We leave in three days." Mito yelled up to him in excitement.

"Do you have to call me blondie?" Naruto yelled back with a pout.

"Yes now get down and pack. My father is coming with and I still have to give you that lesson in clan etiquette." Mito laughed evilly and Naruto had the feeling that this was going to be painful.

Why he had to pack so soon made absolutely no sense to him whatsoever but he'd learned to listen to the red haired Uzumaki a long time ago. She was worse than he was when she didn't get what she wanted. She put him to shame when it came to pranks and worse yet, Naruto still didn't know enough about this world to retaliate.

Being an Uzumaki meant that clan rules were something that just didn't come naturally to him. He couldn't sit still for hours on end if it had nothing to do with senjutsu, he couldn't keep his mouth shut if he felt something had to be said, he couldn't stare at the ground all the time, he sometimes didn't take his shoes off just so, cause some people were really fussy about that, sometimes the only way to eat something was by trying to shovel as much of it into one's mouth as possible . . . . . the list was endless and so were the problems that came with it.

Naruto sighed and focused his chakra, sending the pillar of earth back into the ground. Hopping off and landing next to Mito who immediately wrinkled her nose and stated "Better yet, go take a bath."

Naruto scowled at her but she had a point. It was a particularly hot day and he'd been working on this jutsu without the use of his clones the whole day. His clones were busy with cooking and seals and Uzumaki politics, which for some reason the clan head seemed to think he needed to learn, and Uzumaki customs and the list also went on and on, and on some more.

So he'd decided to learn this relatively simple jutsu himself.

Humming, Naruto walked to the river that ran near the compound. It was larger than any river he'd ever seen before and was just as wild as any Uzumaki, making swimming across it a really bad idea. It was great for chakra control though which the Uzumaki needed plenty of when it came to the more delicate seals.

Naruto had started creating and perfecting his Wind Style techniques in the year he'd been here, with the Uzumaki. Before he'd come to the Uzumaki, he'd learnt some Earth Style techniques and one or two Water Style from Hashirama and Tobirama. From Madara and Izuna, he'd confirmed the fact that he had no talent for fire style whatsoever. Since coming to the Uzumaki he'd focused more on those two areas. He'd found that he couldn't, no matter how hard he tried, do anything related to Fire Style or Lightning Style, unless he placed it in a seal. Madara had pouted about that. He'd been pretty pissed that he couldn't teach Naruto anything and out do Hashirama in some way. Those two were weird that way, a rivalry much like Naruto's and Sasuke's very prominent in their relationship.

Still, Naruto had been neglecting his Water Style and he really shouldn't. Guess he'd just have to add more stuff to his training.

Naruto, ignoring the rapid currents, dived straight into the water. Using his chakra to keep him where he was and not rushing down the stream, Naruto closed his eyes and focused on the clones he had around the village, sending the warning signal that he was going to dispel them. That was their signal to say good bye to whoever was teaching him or to place a bookmark in whatever they were studying.

Then the knowledge of the day was recalled and his mind was assaulted with images, sounds and smells that he'd never seen or heard before. Sometimes he wondered if sending clones was truly the same as doing it himself but he didn't have the time to do everything that he was doing right now. He was seventeen years behind on all of that stuff, with so much to work towards. He couldn't afford to waste time just to experience something that would probably be no different than if a clone did it.

.0.0.0.

Naruto bowed stiffly to the Senju gate guards while they sent a messenger on ahead to inform Batsuma that they had arrived. Stretching out his senses, Naruto already knew that Hashirama was not in the compound. Stretching out a little further, he found the other Shinobi in the surrounding forest, working on his Wood Style. Just because he knew how it worked, didn't mean it was any easier to accomplish. So far, he was still trying to figure out just how much of each style he needed to make the most effective combination for the Wood Style.

Naruto didn't envy him there and often wondered what kind of blood line limit he'd have if he actually worked at creating one. He supposed it would be chakra based seeing as he had so much of it but one never could tell unless they tried.

Naruto went through the motions that Mito had drilled into him before coming here, mentally absent from the room as he'd found this was the best way to deal with all these annoying clan customs.

But that idea was short lived since Batsuma wanted to talk.

"So, I see you're fitting in nicely, Naruto-san. It's always good to have strong allies, wouldn't you say?"

"Hai, hai. But I believe that I should be strong enough to kick everyone's butt, rather than rely on others all the time. It just seems like a waste, ya know, to have to be so dependant and then everything falls to hell when your allies can't help you out or if they turn on you. I saw that once. It… didn't end well." Naruto replied, completely abandoning the formal way of speaking. "Now family, that's different. An alliance is not permanent, and is fickle as it is easily broken. But family, that's forever. The Senju and the Uzumaki are family and I hope that we shall always come to the other's aid, should it be needed."

"He's an odd one." Batsuma agreed, looking to the Uzumaki clan head, his gaze was stern, calculating, as though measuring Naruto up. "but he has a good head on his shoulders. Knows not to trust too completely just because of a signed piece of paper."

Naruto didn't reply, he hadn't been asked to and the darned formalities dictated that he kept his mouth shut. But he was happier when he sensed Hashirama's chakra returning to the compound. Good. Now he didn't have to suffer alone.

"Pardon my interruption, but may I leave for a moment, I wish to greet Hashirama-san upon his return." Naruto asked, inspiration hitting him.

"You may. You weren't exaggerating his sensing capabilities Uzumaki-Sama. Perhaps he could teach my sons a few things." Batsuma replied, half of his attention given to Naruto and the other half given to the Uzumaki clan head.

Naruto didn't stay to hear the reply. He hurried out of the stifling meeting, not missing the snickers from both the Senju and the Uzumaki guards. "That's what you get for being important brat." One of the Uzumaki, the same one that had gone with him the other day to handle the infiltration, said mockingly.

"I'm not important. I'm just some kid who got lost and had a Senju bring him home." Naruto replied in confusion.

"You gotta be joking. I knew you were naïve kid, but this takes the cake. I guess you can't help it, you still have a lot to catch up on."

Naruto didn't dwell in the confusing conversation, rushing instead to see Hashirama. Man he missed that guy. Too bad they couldn't see the Uchiha as well.

It took every ounce of will power he had not to pounce on the Senju the moment he saw him, and to wait at the gate. Truthfully Hashirama looked tired. Must have been training hard.

"You're late." Naruto stated cheerfully, surprising the Senju.

"Yeah, yeah. I was getting close to a break through. Besides I needed to work off some steam. Tobirama was sent on a mission."

Naruto understood immediately and his sympathies went out to the Senju. Unlike Madara and Hashirama, Naruto had nothing in this world. His only connection to it was the four ninja that were destined to become enemies. Not that Naruto had told them that. He supposed his connection was something more like his goal, his goal to change everything for the better.

"He'll come home. You've trained him well. I'm starting to hear about his gallant exploits." Naruto supplied with a grin.

"Yeah, he's strong but someone will always be stronger." Hashirama replied with a soft pointed smile at Naruto. "Anyways, I hear you guys are here on important business."

"We are? I thought it was a regular 'keeping up appearances' kind of visit?" Naruto replied with a frown.

"Oh Naruto! Sometimes I worry about you." Hashirama laughed, eyes scrunching closed and head rolling back. "You're here because the Uzumaki Clan Head has come to officially introduce his next of kin and because Mito-chan and I will be married in a few months." Hashirama informed him when his laughter had died down to chuckles.

"What? Really. That's so cool. I wonder who he picked." Naruto grinned, following the Senju as he walked further into the compound and towards his room.

"Uhm Naruto? Just what have you been learning these past couple months?" Hashirama asked with a worried smile. "Because the Clan Head doesn't take on students unless they have intentions to make them important. My father sure as hell doesn't teach."

"You mean . . .?" Naruto blinked at him, eyes going wide.

"You're going to be the next Clan Head of the Uzumaki, baka." Hashirama clarified.

"No way." Naruto whispered, eyes glazing over in shock.

"What the heck Naruto? This was what we were working towards." Hashirama was starting to get seriously worried. "Now it's all official."

"I just never thought it would happen so soon!" Naruto yelled out with a grin before pulling Hashirama into a hug. "I mean I've always had big dreams but this is the first time I've ever accomplished anything I've ever set out to do." Naruto let the Senju go with a laugh. "I mean this is just so WOW!"

"Haha." Hashirama chuckled weakly, trying to keep up with the blond Shinobi's exuberance. "Congratulations."

"Thanks. Oh man Hashirama, this is so cool! Dattebayo! Konoha will be here before we know it." Naruto sighed, lapsing into a nostalgic contentment. But it didn't last long. "Hang on! Why the hell didn't Mito-chan tell me all of this?"

Hashirama couldn't help but laugh. He really had missed his blond friend. He always had a way of making them feel better no matter what the circumstances were. Both of them found themselves missing The Uchiha more than ever but they could only ever see each other in battle at this point.

"So how close are you to completing your Wood Style?" Naruto asked, hoping to lift the mood a little.

"Hmmmm, at the moment there's too much Earth Chakra in the mix with the wood coming out too brittle and not at all flexible. If I add more water, then it tends to be very flexible but it doesn't really bind, like it's too floppy. Here I'll show you." Hashirama paused on his way to his room so that he could clasp his hands together. His chakra flared and a single wooden pillar rose from the ground. Naruto studied it as it moved, mentally comparing it to the wooden pillar's Yamato-taichou used. This one cracked and splintered almost immediately, making the Uzumaki wince at the noise. The pillar collapsed to the ground with the Senju muttering it was good for fire wood but that was all.

Another flare of chakra and another pillar rose up to the sky, only this time it drooped over on itself , flopping this way and that, hardly having enough strength to keep growing upwards. The wood itself seemed to be almost weeping.

"Hmmm. Hang on. Let me try sensing out the chakra you're using. Maybe I can tell you then." Naruto suggested, placing a hand on Hashirama's back and closing his eyes in concentration.

"Hai." Hashirama grinned before repeating the task once again.

"You're using too much either way, that much is obvious but you're also trying to shove both chakra through both your hands at the same time. Didn't I tell you that it would be easier if you channelled the different chakra in each hand? I bet it would even be easier to control that way."

"Uhm, my bad?" Hashirama offered with a sheepish smile.

Naruto lowered his hand and Hashirama turned to face the blond who shrugged. "Meh, you'd have figured it out on your own either way."

"Hahaha, yeah I guess so. Come on. I want to change these clothes and all this dawdling isn't helping." Hashirama agreed, continuing the walk.

The two walked through the compound, talking easily, laughing and joking in a way that only the greatest of friends could. The Senju that saw them smiled, knowing that this was good for the alliance but never guessing that the two really did know each other that well.

"So how's Tobirama's training going?" Naruto asked as Hashirama opened the door to his room.

The Senju inclined his head thoughtfully. "Well we don't have as much time to train anymore, but he's amazing Naruto. If I'm not careful he just might surpass me." Hashirama paused to tilt his head in consideration before asking curiously "What's it like with the Uzumaki?"

Naruto blinked at him before stopping in their casual walk and smiling warmly, tilting his face up to the clouds. "Truthfully, I haven't felt more at home in my entire life. They make being me very easy."

"What do you mean by that?" Hashirama asked, stopping as well, curious as to what the blond meant.

"Well, all my life people have told me I'm loud and obnoxious and that I never think before I leap. But with the Uzumaki, they're loud too and they're just as crazy in their ideas. They leap before even thinking about leaping and they like the things I do and understand the amazingness behind those things, like bright colours, clashing colours and ramen. They teach without needing a reason to, sharing knowledge just to make sure that the next generation is as powerful as they are and even more so. They celebrate the ideals of family and friendship, cherishing every bond they have. They're not afraid to open their mouths and just say what's on their mind. Never before have I met so many people that understand my ways." Naruto explained. "I understand them too. They're family, Hashirama and that feels great. I find myself feeling more and more sorry for their loss in my time. They truly are an amazing clan."

"That they are. I love their festivals. I think there's one coming up soon." Hashirama replied, a small smile tilting his lips as well.

"You bet there is. It's the Festival of the Kami. All of them, even the Shinigami. We're going to be celebrating all that they have given us in this world. They have this shrine with these masks in them. They look so cool. But they're powerful. They have seals in them that as far as I can tell, do unimaginably amazing things. But like all things powerful in the ninja world they come at a price. As such the masks are not to be used lightly, if at all." Naruto explained growing excited at the idea of the coming festival.

"Wow, the Uzumaki aren't too concerned with flaunting their power are they?" Hashirama mused.

"Not really. Like I said, they like family and friendship more than power, like the Senju and the Uchiha. You know that's why I think the clans are such rivals, the Uchiha and the Senju I mean. They're both fighting to protect the ones they love." Naruto grinned at the idea. At least that's the way he liked to see things.

"Well then we'd better hurry up and get stronger so that we can stop this ridiculous fighting. I'd estimate that we're only at Jonin level, basing it on your descriptions of the Konoha ranking system."

"Not bad, for a Gaki. I'm still stronger than you." Naruto reminded with a mischievous grin, poking the Senju in the ribs.

"Hey! I can't help it you're older than me! Just you wait Uzumaki, once I get this Wood Style down and the Senjutsu mastered, you're so dead." Hashirama promised with a determined growl.

"Oh yeah? Won't mean shit if you can't catch me." Naruto taunted, before ruffling the fifteen year old's hair and dashing away from the punch. Naruto, out of the five of them, was definitely the fastest (Tobirama coming a close second) and due to his mastery of senjutsu, the strongest. His ability to spam the shadow clones more than the others also put him in the lead when it came to learning things. But those four were no picnic either. They had a lot more chakra than the other kids from Naruto's time, even more than most chunin when Naruto had first begun to train with them and at the time they were still considered to be at the level of mere children.

The Shinobi of this era were on a whole other level. Naruto couldn't help but wonder just what had happened. Perhaps peace had clouded their minds.

If they managed to create the ultimate peace, would that make ninja obsolete?

Naruto dismissed the thought in favour of looking out for the ninja that was now trying to land at least one blow on him.

"Come on Hashirama, you're going to have to be faster if you ever want to touch a hair on this awesome head." Naruto taunted as he ducked out of the way.

Hashirama's taijutsu was amazing. Naruto concluded that when you didn't really have all that much time to learn ninjutsu due to the constant fighting, you were forced to rely on taijutsu more often than not. Which was why all four of the them, Uchiha and Senju alike, could hand him his ass in taijutsu unless he was using the frog kumite, which wasn't as effective without the senjutsu but it was still pretty good.

Naruto grinned as he backed away from a kick that was aimed for his head, the blow ultimately creating a small crater in the ground and alerting the Senju around them to the fight.

"Missed me, again!" Naruto yelled happily while ducking under a punch.

Naruto sensed both the Clan Heads exiting the building they had been heading towards and wondered if he should stop the fight but he was having too much fun. Only Hashirama and Madara would really go all out like this on him. They all loved it, pushing themselves to new heights while having fun at the same time, comfortable in the knowledge that they weren't about to die anytime soon either. Tobirama and Izuna had still been slightly hesitant the last time they had sparred. Naruto couldn't understand why though but he shrugged it off.

"Uzumaki Naruto, when I get my hands on you!" Hashirama fumed.

"Ha! You're too slow for that." Naruto interrupted.

Hashirama smirked before jumping backwards suddenly and clasping his hands together in an all too familiar seal for the blonde. Three shadow clones rushed at him.

"Really, increasing the number doesn't make you faster." Naruto chided as he ducked and dodged, not once going on the offensive. Naruto had learnt to be pretty flexible when fighting with Hashirama. One had to be in order to dodge some of his blows.

Two of the clones slammed their palms to the ground, using earth style to raise pillars of earth that Naruto sprang backwards from, now having to find his way around buildings as well.

Naruto sensed the third clone moving in behind him and struck out for the first time, dispelling the clone. The smoke from the clone and the add zing of chakra in the air after it dispelled was enough to confuse Naruto's sensing abilities just long enough for the original Hashirama to use wood style to bind him, wood wrapping around his wrists and ankles, suspending him in the air like a play thing.

He scowled at the Senju as he approached. He got a laugh for his troubles.

"I don't have to be faster than you, Naruto-kun. I just have to be smarter." He then flicked Naruto's forehead.

"OW." Naruto whined.

"Hahaha, Naruto-kun, I think it's safe to say you just got owned." Mito laughed from where she and her father were watching.

"Oh yeah?" Naruto laughed before popping into a cloud of smoke. A blur of blond and black burst from the ground, striking out at Hashirama.

"Heh, I was wondering how long it would take you to get out of there." Hashirama yelled as he sprang to the rooftops, "Now fight me seriously, no more clones."

"Alight, but define serious?" Naruto laughed.

"No ninjutsu, or genjutsu, or senjutsu, or fuinjutsu. Straight up taijutsu and kenjutsu." Hashirama elaborated before drawing his sword.

Ah shit.

Naruto was still learning kenjutsu. "Mito-kun, can I borrow your sword?" Naruto yelled down to the red haired Uzumaki who laughed and shook her head.

Well damn. Naruto pulled out a kunai to block the blows, grumbling how this was damaging the weapon.

It didn't exactly help that more and more Senju were popping out from the compound, drawn towards the sound of the fighting. They were watching the two clan heirs, whispering in excitement to themselves as they made their own assessment of the mock fight.

"Naruto." Hashirama stated quietly, too quietly for anyone else to hear, when they were standing close enough. "This is fun and all but much more of this and it'll get serious enough to reveal just how much of our skills we've been hiding."

"Is that such a bad thing?" Naruto countered, raising his kunai to block the quick slash from Hashirama's blade.

"For now, yes. At the moment, I have managed to create the perfect balance between training, missions and family. I don't want to disrupt this balance by allowing my father to see that I can handle more than what he sends me on." Hashirama concluded. "Also, the Uzumaki are not blinded to the warring state and they too offer their services to those who would have them. You've just been kept away from it for the time being so that you could catch up in your learning. After this little get together, I imagine that I'll be seeing you on the battle fields a lot more."

"I see. Well then, I say we tell them we're at a stalemate, that neither of us will win this." Naruto replied thoughtfully. Seemed he was going to get his chance to get that reputation after all.

They nodded to show the timing in order to break away and flip back towards the ground.

"At this rate, neither of us would have won anyway." Naruto added in a louder tone, studying his now useless kunai with a pout. "What were you trying to do, cleave the thing?" he added with a snort.

Even his wrist was feeling the power of those blows.

"Naruto! Your kenjutsu sucks!" Mito scolded and the blond sighed. There was just no pleasing that girl.

"Hmmm, but his performance leads me to conclude that he may just be ready for something else." The Uzumaki Clan Head mused.

"I was fighting with a kunai! What do you want from me?" Naruto yelled back before sticking out his tongue. Mito crossed her arms with a huff and looked away while Hashirama chuckled.

"Hey, that reminds me, there's someone I want you to meet." Naruto grinned widely at the Senju before hopping down off the roof they'd been fighting on. Hashirama quirked a brow in interest before following him. Naruto led them to where meeting hall where the Senju guards and the Uzumaki guards were chatting quietly amongst themselves.

"Hashirama, this is Uzumaki Takashi." Naruto gestured to one of the Uzumaki guards and smiled broadly. "He and I often go on missions together."

Hashirama blinked in surprise for a moment before realisation dawned on him. Naruto was telling him that he'd made a friend. In this world where he was a stranger, even though he'd found a place he could call home surrounded by those that were family, it wasn't the same. A friend was still something different, something Naruto always cherished. Takashi was Naruto's first Uzumaki friend.

Takashi was also surprised at the introduction and turned to the Uzumaki sitting next to him. He was watching Naruto and the Senju boy, Hashirama, walk away, talking together as they went.

"You felt that too right?" Takashi asked and the other nodded.

"There is much of young Naruto-kun's past that we do not know."

"Much of it we will never learn. We can only guess." Takashi sighed.

"What do you mean? I thought you guys were all about openness and unity?" One of the Senju asked, tone polite even though the questions showed his confusion.

"Well, we speculate, that Naruto-kun lost his parents long before he came to us. That he was far too young to have been taught anything about being an Uzumaki and was left to fend for himself for many years. He hides it well but there are signs, small slip ups that show us he has a painful past, one that hides many things both powerful and dangerous. Young Naruto-kun hides much of his power and we wait for the day he will feel comfortable enough to show it to us freely. Hashirama-san is much the same way. He hides more than what he allows his clan to see, but his reasons are acceptable. He doesn't not wish to be sent away from the clan, his family, for longer periods of time, and receiving higher ranked missions will do this. Naruto-kun on the other hand is different. He was unfamiliar with the prospect of receiving without giving anything in return. At first he was startled and tensed at every gesture, every casual greeting, eyes showing a world of doubt and hesitant glee."

Takashi paused to frown. "It was as though he hadn't known much kindness in his life. Had his parents been alive for most of his life as he likes to give the impression of, then he would not be so surprised by the Uzumaki way of life."

"And you trust him as your clan head?" The Senju asked in surprise.

"Look at him." Takashi smiled. "Everything about him is honest. He cannot lie. Not even if he tried. Watch him with Hashirama-san. They were friends long before he came here. It's even in their chakra. There is a strong bond between the two."

"While Naruto-kun may have a past that is beyond many of our understanding, he has the one thing we all value most, he has the heart of an Uzumaki and will always, without fail, place those around him before himself." The other Uzumaki guard explained.

"His past is his own, and we will not press the issue. It is for him to come to peace with and for him to realise that we will not abandon him as his eyes often show fear of. I don't think he even realises that he shows it so easily." Takashi muttered.

The Senju blinked in amazement. While they might have had a strong bond with the Uzumaki, they felt they would never understand the clan. They were in a league all their own. While the Senju would not stand for secrets, fearing that it might harm the clan, the Uzumaki let them remain as they were. Such was the saying they let sleeping dogs lie. With a clan such as theirs, with their sensing ability, they knew how rare a secret could be and did not pry when one arose.

They knew all too well what that small piece of individuality would mean and left well enough alone.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.2K 206 13
"When you come out of the storm, you won't be the same person who walked in. That's what this storm's is all about." Koeda Aisaka moved through her...
6.1K 230 9
Sasuke and Naruto was somehow sent into the past a few moments after they encountered an Enemy Nin at their mission of the Waves. They were sent into...
34K 1.1K 16
"How come I only see you at night?" "I belong to the dark, night is where I belong...." Madara Uchiha, she heard stories of him. She lived in the vil...
4.9K 134 12
For all his life Naruto always thinks why do people hate him and beat him without any reason but always calling him "demon brat". So, after getting c...