Waging War Book 3: Blood Red...

By DawnfireOfSkyClan

"When the blood covers the moon, peace will drown in the ashes of war." The traveling cats have returned to t... More

Allegiances
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32

Chapter 5

339 20 14
By DawnfireOfSkyClan

The moon shed its brilliant light across the moorland, providing the night patrol with the vision they needed to traverse their territory. MoonClan apprentice, Leopardpaw padded alongside her mentor, Berryheart. Ahead of her was the deputy of her clan, Violetfur as well as Mosswind, Daisyheart and Ashfeather.

The night was silent, only the distant sound of the flowing rivers and crickets chirping. Leopardpaw loved beautiful nights like this, even if the chilly air was biting at her ear-tips and nose, she still felt so at home shrouded in the darkness with the moon to guide them. She held her head high and walked with purpose as the patrol neared the river. They didn't have a border on this side, but Shadowstar had instructed the patrol to check it anyway, Leopardpaw wasn't sure why.

Violetfur led the way towards the river with the patrol making quick pace behind her. They approached the river bed and Violetfur started moving faster, making longer strides towards the river. She signaled with her tail for the rest of the patrol to wait. "What do you think is going on?" Mosswind questioned Ashfeather, keeping her voice low. "We don't usually spend much time on the river border like this."

"I'm not sure." Ashfeather slowly shook her head. "But Shadowstar has been acting strange ever since the gathering, both he and Violetfur seem intent on making patrols more intensive and more frequent."

"I saw Shadowstar talking with Riverstar at the gathering," Berryheart spoke up and neither of them looked happy about the conversation. "Do you think it may have something to do with that?" Was there an issue with AshClan? Leopardpaw wondered silently, she didn't want to impose on the conversation, she was just an apprentice after all.

"It could, but I can't really remember the last time MoonClan had any issues with AshClan aside from their usual rudeness." Mosswind pointed out.

"If I'm remembering correctly, the last I remember AshClan and MoonClan fighting was before even Ivystar became leader. This was during Cloudstar's reign, Crowstar hadn't even returned from his journey yet."

"Wow." Berryheart's eyes widened slightly. "Have MoonClan and AshClan been at peace since then?"

"We have never shared a border with them." Mosswind replied. "We've never had a reason to be at odds with AshClan. The only fights in the past were usually the result of Goldenstar who was always ready to fight for no reason."

"You will know what's going on when Shadowstar is ready to tell you." The sudden commanding voice of Violetfur spoke up, all MoonClan cats turned their attention to the deputy. She didn't seem irritated, but Leopardpaw could tell that she was tense, she was worried about something.

"Is there anything you can tell us?" Ashfeather questioned.

Violetfur shook her head. "No, I'm sorry." She waved her tail slowly, continuing forward with the patrol. "It's not because we don't want to, it's because we don't have a lot of information yet. All we know is that Riverstar was acting aggressive towards Shadowstar in particular at the gathering and had some kind of issue to bring up with him, he will discuss it with the rest of the Clan we he knows more."

"Alright." Ashfeather seemed content with Violetfur's answer as did the rest of the patrol. Leopardpaw trusted both her leader and her deputy and knew that they would keep the Clan's best interest at heart, she felt safe.

The night patrol continued, marking the MountainClan border before they began heading home. Leopardpaw thought a lot about the journey that she had made in order to bring MountainClan to the forest. She head learned so much and made a lot of friends, she was happy that MountainClan was settling in so well in their new home. She often thought about Fennelpaw and especially Owlpaw, she had grown close to the SunClan apprentice during the journey and she was glad that she followed the path of a medicine cat as it clearly suited her more.

Slatepaw, however, had been miserable to be around and Leopardpaw couldn't have been happier to have gotten away from him, but she did miss his mentor, Leafdawn. Despite missing her new friends, Leopardpaw was also very happy to be back in MoonClan with her own Clanmates. She had missed eating fish and swimming with her Clanmates, even if it was too cold to swim.

When the patrol returned to the camp, Violetfur dismissed the warriors and Leopardpaw. "Go ahead and get some sleep." Berryheart mewed to Leopardpaw. "I'll wake you later tomorrow so we can do some hunting along with your brother."

Leopardpaw felt excited at the thought of getting to go hunting. "Thank you, Berryheart." She dipped her head respectfully and padded towards the apprentice den, an old badger den that rested near the warrior's den. She climbed into the den, letting the warmth of the sheltered den and of her fellow apprentices.

In one of the nests was her brother, Ripplepaw. His black pelt almost completely hidden by the shadows of the den. In the other nests were Minnowpaw, Shellpaw and Meadowpaw. They were the oldest apprentices and would've been made warriors already but Leopardpaw learned that Shellpaw had been injured while she was gone and had to have his warrior ceremony postponed and both of his sisters agreed to wait so they could have it together. She knew that they would be made warriors any day now.

Leopardpaw took her nest beside Ripplepaw and curled up and not long after, drifted into a peaceful slumber.

*****

Leopardpaw opened her eyes, she could hear the low rustling of the wind outside as well as see the sunlight peeking into the apprentice den. She slowly lifted her head and looked around, she was the only remaining apprentice. Leopardpaw sat up and stretched out, letting out a yawn as she did so. She climbed out of the den to find that it was nearly sunhigh, though it was normal for cats who went on night patrols to sleep in late.

Leopardpaw looked around for her mentor, feeling her stomach growl in the process. She hoped to get some breakfast before they went out hunting. At long last Leopardpaw spotted Berryheart along with Leopardpaw's mother, Peachblossom.

Berryheart was Leopardpaw's aunt along with being her mentor, this wasn't something that was commonly done but Shadowstar wanted Berryheart to have an apprentice since both her and Peachblossom originally started out as rouges.

Leopardpaw had no issue with the fact that her mother used to be a rouge and none of her Clanmates seemed to have any issues with it either. Both her and her brother were treated very well within the Clan and she couldn't be happier. "Good morning, Leopardpaw." Peachblossom called with a pleasant purr.

"Good morning." Leopardpaw waved her tail happily as she trotted over. "Are we getting started soon?" She turned towards Berryheart.

"Yes." Berryheart nodded. "Tallsong and Ripplepaw are currently on a border patrol, but they should be returning soon. Why don't you get yourself something to eat before we leave."

"Alright, thank you." Leopardpaw dipped her head and padded over to the fresh-kill pile. She took a salmon off the top and sat down near the apprentice den to eat. She could sense a bitter chill on the air, leaf-bare was getting closer but she wasn't worried, she had been assured that MoonClan always did the best during leaf-bare and they had the very skilled Oneflight as their medicine cat.

Leopardpaw happily ate her fish and by the time she was finished she heard the sound of the patrolling returning. However, the wind carried an unfamiliar scent which made Leopardpaw tense up slightly as she lifted her head.

Several cats came into view as they entered the hollow where MoonClan made their camp. At the front of it was the MoonClan patrol, led by Swiftheart with Tallsong, Ripplepaw, Ferretpelt and Swanfeather. Behind them, however, was Riverstar and Stormheart along with several AshClan warriors that Leopardpaw did not recognize.

Leopardpaw spotted Violetfur near the camp entrance, the deputy visibly tensed and walked towards the approaching patrol. "Riverstar." She faced the AshClan leader fearlessly. "What are you doing in our camp."

Riverstar narrowed her sharp blue eyes. "That is something I will discuss with Shadowstar." She glared down at Violetfur. "Last I checked you were not Clan leader." Why is she being so hostile? Leopardpaw wondered, feeling her fur stand on end. She could see that her Clanmates were tense and on alert as well.

"If you are in my camp," The stern voice of Shadowstar filled the air as the tom stepped out from his den. "Then you will respect my warriors, Riverstar. Especially my deputy."

Riverstar directed her attention towards Shadowstar. "Perhaps you should instruct your deputy to be more welcoming."

"If you're here to insult me and my Clan then you can just leave, I have no time for your antics."

"We have something to discuss, Shadowstar." Riverstar stepped forward, walking past Violetfur. "And I'm not afraid to say it in front of all of your warriors."

"Then say it." Shadowstar challenged, clearly unphased. What does she have to say?

"For the past several gatherings your warriors have been disrespecting mine, I was informed by Harewhisker that it nearly led to a fight at the last gathering so I must ask, do you have a problem with AshClan?" There was a definite challenge in her eyes.

"We have never had an issue with you, Riverstar." Shadowstar replied. "And I spoke to the warrior that nearly started the fight and he explained to me that it was Harewhisker who was the aggressor in that conversation."

"That's not true!" A sharp mew spoke, it belonged to a light brown tom. Is that Harewhisker? "Brokenclaw was the one who started the argument."

"As if." Brokenclaw snorted from near the warrior's den. "I wasn't the one who was harassing our apprentices."

"Your apprentices were being loud and disrespectful." Harewhisker argued. "They're almost warriors they should have some sensibility."

"The gathering was over mouse-brain." Brokenclaw spat. "Sorry that the elder is getting grumpy over some apprentices having fun." He sneered with a flick of his tail.

"Enough." Riverstar hissed towards Brokenclaw.

"Don't speak to my warriors in that manner, Riverstar." Shadowstar raised his voice. "Not when your warrior was the first one to speak out and clearly the one to instigate a problem at the gathering."

"It's clear that this was caused by your apprentices." Riverstar pointed out.

"We were just having fun." Minnowpaw spoke up from beside her siblings. "Meadowpaw bumped into Harewhisker and he nearly bit her head off."

"Perhaps next time you should stay with your own Clan." Harewhisker growled.

"I've heard enough." Shadowstar raised his tail to silence any further conversation. "It was clearly a simple disagreement, Riverstar. There is no need for all this hostility."

"You know very well that this is not the first time this kind of issue has arisen." Riverstar argued. "And it always starts with one of your cats."
"Every cat in this forest knows that you're quick to a fight," Shadowstar stared her down. "But unlike you I can keep my composure."

"Are you insulting me?" Riverstar growled, Leopardpaw could see her claws flexing. Surely she won't attack us. Leopardpaw thought. She only has four warriors with her.

"Take that however you want, Riverstar." Shadowstar flicked his tail. "But you and your warriors have overstayed your welcome. Violetfur, Ashfeather, Ebonyclaw, please escort them out of the territory. "I don't want to see you in my camp again."

Riverstar narrowed her eyes as they filled with anger and her body tensed. "Watch yourself and your warriors, Shadowstar. I will not stand for me or my Clanmates to be disrespected to our faces."

"Leave." Shadowstar growled.

Riverstar let out a low huff before she turned, waving her tail and guiding her warriors away. Leopardpaw noticed Harewhisker glaring at Brokenclaw who returned the glare. After a few moments, the AshClan patrol vanished but the tense and hostile air the created remained.

"Should we be worried about that, Shadowstar?" The mew came from Feathercloud. The she-cat had retired, but she lived in the leader's den with Shadowstar as his mate. "Do you think Riverstar will attack."

"There is a chance." Shadowstar replied, making Leopardpaw feel a sense of anxiety. "There is always a chance with Riverstar, but we will not show any fear. MoonClan may be a peaceful Clan but that does not mean why will bow down like cowards. For now we will remain vigilant and at all future gatherings I ask that my warriors keep their distance from AshClan. It's clear that they take anything as a sign of disrespect. We will tread carefully from here on out."

Leopardpaw stared at the remains of her fish. Everything has been so peaceful within the Clans. She thought. Why would Riverstar want to ruin that?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.8K 891 33
To a loner named Sun, life's been hard ever since her mother left her because of a power she didn't understand. On her own for just about three moons...
16.1K 658 31
An Impossible Task... The travelling cats have been given their task, and it seems impossible. Owlpaw faces the challenge of convincing Sheer Mountai...
16.7K 504 24
The owl calls again... Owlkit's birth was unexpected, and her life almost ended before it began but despite the odds, she survived to become a SunCla...
10.9K 462 22
𝘙𝘌𝘛𝘜𝘙𝘕 𝘛𝘖 𝘛𝘏𝘌 𝘓𝘐𝘝𝘌𝘚 𝘖𝘍 𝘚𝘒𝘠𝘓𝘌𝘈𝘗 𝘈𝘕𝘋 𝘚𝘜𝘕𝘚𝘛𝘖𝘙𝘔 𝘈𝘚 𝘛𝘏𝘌𝘠 𝘍𝘈𝘊𝘌 𝘛𝘏𝘌 𝘔𝘖𝘚𝘛 𝘋𝘈𝘕𝘎𝘌𝘙𝘖𝘜𝘚 𝘛𝘏𝘙𝘌𝘈�...