Power To Strive III Part 1

By NoAvailableNN

The AoT characters reacts to the Uprising Arc, or better known as Season 3 Part 1. Disclaimer: I don't own Sn... More

INFORMATION
Pain
Old Story
Trust
Reply
Sin
Wish
Outside the Walls of Orvud District
Ruler of the Walls
Friends
Bystander
Night of the Battle to Retake Wall Maria

Smoke Signal

4.5K 75 6
By NoAvailableNN

Chapter Summary

The soldiers watch as the new Squad Levi begins to learn new things about the enemy. Old wounds are opened for Levi and the Shinganshina Trio as they watch the episode.

[-]

The episode started with a shot of strange white birds circling in the sky. A crashing sound could be heard in the distance. The camera focused on a blue-green eye, staring up into the sky, dark strands of hair blowing over it. A shadow was shown silhouetted on strange, yellow dirt. “Beyond the wall, there’s a sea. Or so Armin said,” Eren’s voice narrated.

Armin gasped. “Oh, my god.”

Eren was shown staring up at the sun. His hair was longer and shaggy, reaching the base of his nape, and he wore his ODM harness. The crashing noise was louder and was almost definitely water. Eren lowered his head, and the camera angle changed, showing he was in front of a wide, blue expanse.

“Eren!” Armin gasped. “The sea! You’re at the sea!”

Eren was staring at the TV, slack-jawed. “It exists,” he said, eyes wide with wonder.

“But, past the sea,” Eren kept narrating. “I’ve always wondered what was beyond that.”

“Jeez,” Jean scowled as the opening began to play. “You’ve already found the sea. Don’t get too greedy.”

Eren glared at him but turned back at the TV as the episode continued.

The shot opened onto a small, thatch-roofed cabin in the middle of the woods. A wagon stood outside as three figures carried boxes towards the cottage. “You just try to steal some food, Sasha,” Jean growled. “I’ll get Captain Levi to chop you up into nice, tiny, bite-sized pieces.”

Everybody burst out laughing.

The door opened to show Eren and Connie cleaning. Connie had a bandana tied around his head, while Eren’s mouth and hair were both covered by white cloths. Eren turned around as Sasha, Jean, and Armin entered the room.

The laughter got louder.

“Why are you even wearing a cloth?” Sasha giggled. “You don’t have any hair!”

Jean turned to face Mikasa, expression serious. “I think,” he said. “That the Captain’s being a bad influence on Eren.”

Levi rolled his eyes. “Brats.”

“I won’t! Probably. . .”

“What?”

“Hey! Did you guys wipe the dust and stuff off your shoes before you came in?”

Jean glared at Eren. “Of course we didn’t! Can’t you see all of the stuff we’re carrying?”

“Do you seriously think that’ll satisfy Captain Levi?” Eren’s eyes were wide as he visibly panicked. “If I hadn’t personally given your sheets hospital corners this morning –”

“Quit nagging! Who are you, my mom?”            

Connie threw his head back, laughing.

“If Eren’s a mom, then Levi’s a mother-in-law!” Hange chortled. Even Erwin had to fight to hide his smile at that.

Historia and Mikasa stepped into the room, both of them holding firewood, Mikasa with an axe slung casually over her shoulder. “We’re back.”

“Wait, were you just chopping firewood?” Armin looked worried.

“Gotta stay in shape.”

“You got grabbed by a Titan! You should be in bed.”

Eren snorted. “Typical Mikasa.” She slugged him in the arm. “Ow!”

“I tried to stop her, but she wouldn’t listen,” Eren grumbled. “I saw her doing sit-ups earlier.” Jean started.

“How dare you, you peeping Tom!”

“Huh? How does that constitute peeping, you –”

“Yeah, how does it constitute peeping?” Sasha asked. Jean turned bright red, looking like he wanted nothing more than to be able to sink into the couch cushions.

“Abs and boobs do not a good combination make,” he muttered. The commanding officers stared at him, not sure whether they were meant to be confused or scolding him.

“Mikasa! You do know that you’re not a wild animal, right?” Armin fretted.

Sasha stopped taking potatoes out of a crate, a nostalgic expression on her face. “It’s almost like we’re back in the Cadet Corps, huh?”

“Is that potatoes I see?” Connie wiggled his eyebrows (or tried to, at least).

Ymir let out a loud cough that sounded suspiciously like ‘potato girl!’

Armin turned away. “Yeah. Why do you figure we were chosen for the new Squad Levi, though?”

“Hold up!” Jean made a time-out motion with his hands. “We’re the new Squad Levi?”            

“I’m just as shocked as you,” Levi said.

“Ouch,” Connie whispered.

So it’s happened. Erwin’s mind was racing. We have instated the 104 into Levi’s new squad in the future on screen, as planned in this past. But has anything else changed?

“Protecting Eren and Historia is such an important mission. . .”

“Because we’re talented, I assume.” Sasha swiped a potato, stuffing it into her bag.

Armin turned, expression darkening. “Sasha. . . what did you just put in your bag?”

“It was something that definitely wasn’t bread.”

Petra began giggling. “They look so serious!”

“Oi,” Levi said, glaring at Sasha. “You might not be on my squad yet, but just know that I do not tolerate stealing.”

“Unless it’s you stealing Erwin’s jackets,” Hange ducked as Levi swiped at her.

“Why, you. . .” Jean stalked over.

“Give it back,” Connie sighed, placing a hand on his hip.

“Hey, focus! We’ve gotta finish cleaning before the Captain comes back!”

“Give the bread back!”

Historia watched the rest of the group bicker from the corner, carrying her firewood, a vacant expression in her eyes. She started at the sound of a door opening behind her and watched as Levi walked past. “What’s this commotion about?”

“That’s it!” Connie threw his hands into the air. “We’re dead! End of the road! You can put it on our gravestones that a potato-crazed maniac got us all killed!”

“Man, I thought my death would be a lot cooler,” Jean groaned. “And that my killer’d be a lot taller.” He squawked as Levi hurled Hange’s pen at him. “I meant Titan! I thought I’d be killed by a Titan!”

Eren turned as the rest of the group scolded Sasha, Armin holding the bread above his head. He gulped as Levi stopped near the table, running his hands under the edge.

Sasha giggled. “Are you sweating?”

The others stopped talking as they noticed Levi. He dragged his hand along the wood, and there was a sifting noise as dust fell over his fingers.

Levi wrinkled his nose. “Ew.”

Levi raised his hand, looking at it, before turning to the recruits. “I’m quite sure I gave you enough time.”

Eren facepalmed as the others stared nervously at him.

Levi sighed. “Anyways. . . we’ll discuss your lax cleaning job another time.” He wiped his fingers with a handkerchief. “Eren.” Eren looked up. “Hange’s itching to get the experiment started.”

“R – Right.”

“Yes!” Hange cheered, dropping to her knees and raising her arms to the sky. “Praise the goddesses! Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes!”

There was a loud roar as Eren’s Titan reared up, waving its arms, tongue lolling out, before landing on its face. “Eren!” Mikasa cried.

“Uh,” Hange blinked as all eyes turned to her. “Oops?”

“What’s wrong, Eren?! Get up!” Hange shrieked from the top of the cliff where she and Levi stood, watching. “The future of humanity’s counting on you! Get up, damnit!”

“Hey, four-eyes,” Levi said. “He’s not quite the same this time.”

“So weird seeing Levi without his cravat,” Hange sighed.

Petra nodded. “Sometimes I forget he has a neck.

The shot zeroed in on Eren’s deformed Titan. “He’s not even 10 meters tall this time, and some parts of his body don’t even have any muscle. Plus, Eren’s ass is hanging out.”

“Oh, god, that’s just weird.” Connie wrinkled his nose.

“I can see that! Eren!” Hange waved her swords. “Can you still move? Give us a signal or something!”

“Eren!” Mikasa cried, jumping off her horse and running towards him.

“Mikasa!” Jean halted his own horse.

“Hey. . . that gloomy brat’s acting on her own again,” Levi said. “Time to think up a punishment?”

“You’re not that much more cheerful yourself,” Mikasa shot back. Levi’s eye twitched.

“At least I’m not an Eren-obsessed brat.”

“No, you’re a Commander-obsessed old man who looks like a brat.”

“Getting back to the video,” Erwin quickly interrupted, sensing danger.

“Aw, come on, Erwin!” Hange complained. “Are you ever going to let us see them fight?”

“No.”

“I think being in the same room is punishment enough for both of them,” Sasha muttered to Connie.

“No, there’s no signal. We’re done here!” Hange engaged her gear, jumping down the cliff. “Eren!” The shot zoomed in on Levi, face impassive as he stared down at the commotion.

Hange knelt on Eren’s back, grabbing his human body by the arms, tugging at him.

“Hot!” she yelped. “Hot damn, you are hot!”

“Titans are sexy!” Hange beamed, and Levi groaned.

“If anyone asks, I don’t know you.”

“Hange, wait! Eren’s bleeding!” Eren’s arms and face were attached to the Titan by long strings of flesh.

There was a tearing noise as Hange tugged harder. “Whoa!” she screeched. “Check it out, Moblit! Eren’s face! Hurry up and sketch it!”

“No, please don’t,” Historia covered her eyes. “I don’t need any more nightmares!”            

“It looks like a meaty skull,” Connie was looking slightly green.

“Section Commander! Are you lacking in human compassion?” Mikasa looked panicked, eyes wide and body shaking. She gasped, raising her sword.

Hange yelped as she and Eren were thrown back, Eren flopping against her, tongue lolling out and eyes dark holes.

“Did your eyes get tugged out?” Connie shuddered. “Gross, man!”

“Ah,” Hange looked embarrassed. “Sorry. Got carried away. . .”

“No shit, Titans-for-brains,” Levi flicked her forehead. “What are we supposed to do with a blind Titan, huh?”

“They’ll grow back! Probably. . .”

“Looks like we’ve got a long road ahead before we can use that hardening ability to seal the wall.” Levi turned away, looking at Armin.

“Yes. . . I knew we’d be grasping at straws from the start.” Armin frowned.

“Strategically, it’s not a bad plan,” Levi looked back at the steaming Titan corpse. “Instead of lugging tons of supplies, all we need to do is get Eren there. Whether or not we’re grasping at straws. . . it all depends on Eren.”

“And pressuring’s going to help how?” Mikasa asked testily.

“Motivation,” Levi replied dryly.

“Experiment’s over! All troops, disperse at once!” Hange shouted, still carrying Eren.

“Roger!” another soldier called. “Make sure there’s no witnesses!”            

“Yes, sir!” Jean rode off.

“You ride in the same wagon as Eren,” Levi told Historia as she made to leave. “I’m headed for Trost with Hange’s group.”

“Okay,” Historia’s expression didn’t change as she left.

Levi watched her leave. “You must find her at once,” the scene flashed to Pastor Nick. “Only she. . . she may know the truths which we cannot even perceive.”

“Woah, really?”

Historia shrank back. This is exactly what I didn’t want! She didn’t want people to look at her or treat her differently just because of her bloodline. Ymir placed a comforting arm around her.

Back in the present, Levi turned away, the Titan corpse steaming below him. In the distance, two people lay on their stomachs, watching the Titan vapor through telescopes.

Levi’s eyes widened at the man on the right. No, that’s impossible. He clenched a fist. Calm down, he thought. There are plenty of people who wear hats like that. . . He’s not the only one. But he was in the opening. . .

“I see. . . another failure then,” the camera panned overtop of Trost. Erwin stood in front of a window, holding a report as he stood by a table piled high with other tomes. More books were stacked in the corner, on the floor, and there were a few on the bed. Levi sat at the small table by the wall, legs crossed, staring down at the floor.

“Who needs that many books?” Connie asked.

“An intellectual,” Jean rolled his eyes.

“A what?”

“If the plan would have worked out, we could have plugged the hole in Shinganshina in less than a day.”

“It’s because we lack information.” Erwin dropped the report, turning to look at Levi. “Might be a different story if there was a book on his hardening ability.”            

“Do you think there is?” Armin wondered.

“Doubt it,” Jean replied.

“But we have Krista. . . no, Historia Reiss. Maybe we can learn about the wall through her?”

Historia flinched, and Ymir squeezed her shoulder gently.

I read the entire report about her upbringing.” Erwin said, turning away.

Historia gasped, remembering the way that everybody else’s backstories had been portrayed. Oh, no.

“She’s the illegitimate daughter of Lord Reiss, and it’s by no means a happy story.” He looked down. “But the real question here is why a mere regional lord would know the secrets of the Walls.”

Historia let out a sigh of relief.

The scene changed to show Pastor Nick at a desk sitting in a small, simple room.

“The Trost barracks?” Levi glanced at Hange.

“I must have put him there.”

Pastor Nick was shown in a small room, seated at his desk. There was a knock on his door and he looked up.

“Uh-oh,” Connie muttered.

“I’ve got a bad feeling about this,” Jean said nervously.

“What are you doing?” Mikasa turned around as Eren entered the kitchen in the cottage. “You should still be in bed.”

“I’m fine. I already slept a whole day.” Eren grabbed a potato and began peeling it. “Besides, it’s my fault the plan got shelved, so the least I can do is help out.”

“No! You tried, didn’t you? Don’t beat yourself up.”

Connie stared down. “All I care about is killing the Beast Titan,” an image of the large, ape-like Titan appeared onscreen. “That hairy bastard took everything from me. I want it dead.” An image of Connie’s mother, turned into a Titan and lying on the roof of their house, appeared.

It took something from all of us, Erwin thought back to Mike’s death.

We’ll kill it, Levi thought grimly. If it’s the last thing we do.

The knife in Connie’s hand shook, and he lowered it. “It’s about time to switch watch, don’t you think?” Mikasa nodded and the two left the room.

Historia turned away. “Must be nice,” she said. “You and the others all know what you want to do, even if it won’t be easy. But with Ymir gone, I’ve lost my purpose.” Her eyes were dull, and she stared gloomily down at the counter. “I don’t even know what I’m fighting for, anymore.”

Ymir wrapped both her arms around Historia, a pang of guilt shooting through her. “I’m sorry,” she whispered. Historia smiled sadly. “I’ll never leave you – not in this future.”

“Saving her is something to fight for, isn’t it?”

Historia furrowed her brow. “Maybe.” The scene flashed back to Ymir’s Titan stroking Historia’s hair gently before turning and running after Reiner and Bertolt. “At the time I didn’t understand what she was doing; I just wanted her to be safe. Since then, I’ve been thinking.” It flashed back to the present. “When she left, Ymir chose her own path.”
Eren turned to look at her. “I have no right to –”

“Finally, about time you started talking again.” Historia started as Eren spoke. “When we got here, you told everybody your story. But then you just shut up; stopped talking."

“Why should I bother?”

Connie winced. “Harsh.”

“Sorry, but the sweet, quiet Krista you thought you knew, well, she isn’t me anymore.”            

“Good.” Eren turned around. “I didn’t really like her.” Krista’s eyes widened.

“Seriously, man?” Connie shook his head. “I mean, I know you’re trying to be encouraging and all, but couldn’t you be a bit nicer?” Ymir nodded.

“No,” Historia shook her head, shocking them. “He’s right – future me needs to be reminded that this isn’t all about her.”

“Well, the season technically is focusing on you –”

“Metaphorically, Sasha.”

“No one’s actually as nice as you pretended to be. It was unnatural and, frankly, exhausting.” Eren grinned. “Now, well, you’re just a normal girl. Brutally honest, maybe, but still normal.”

Petra began giggling. “Your face!”

“Constipation got you too?” Levi said dryly. Mikasa rolled her eyes. “You can’t even blame me, this time.”

Eren lowered his head. “Still, you don’t need to decide about Ymir yet. There’s a part of me that still thinks –” he cut off.

The image flashed, showing Ymir and Bertolt in the Forest of Giant Trees, talking.

Eren gasped. “How did I forget. . ?”

“Forget what?” Hange squealed. “Did you remember something? Ymir, did you remember something! Tell me!”

Levi kicked her. “It hasn’t happened yet.”

“If I had to guess, this is when future us learns how Titan shifter powers are passed on,” Erwin said.

The scene changed, showing the rest of Squad Levi, as well as Hange and three members of her squad, in the kitchen. “Now, what’s this about?” Levi asked.

Hange looked up. “I’m sorry,” she said. “Pastor Nick. . . he was murdered. Today.” The scene changed, showing a castle in the middle of a city. “In the Trost Barracks.”            

“What.” Connie stared blankly at the TV.

Jean banged his forehead with his hand. “Every. Single. Time!”

There was a close-up of Pastor Nick’s face. His eyes were open and blank, cheek bruised, blood flowing from his nose and splattering his clothes.

Gasps filled the room.

No matter how many times we see it, it never gets easier, Armin winced. Especially knowing a human did it.

Hange stood outside the door, eyes wide. A rifle appeared, pushing her back.

“Hey,” a Military Policeman said. “Messing with our crime scene, Scout? Don’t get any closer.”

“This isn’t your jurisdiction. A simple robbery murder; there’ve been a string of them lately.”

“I’m not buying it!” Hange cried. “His nails were torn off – ugh!”

The man grabbed her jacket, tugging her closer. “Which unit are you in?” he pulled her insignia closer.

Moblit grabbed his wrist, squeezing as popping noises were heard. He forcibly pulled his hand away, making him drop her. “Section Commander Hange, fourth squad. And I’m XO Moblit Berner.”

“You know, when your whole branch is garbage, being high rank doesn’t make you smell any sweeter.”

“Punch him, Moblit!” Hange shouted at the TV as the others all nodded.

“Listen, that man wasn’t killed by a Titan. One human killed another.” He leaned forwards. “This isn’t Scout Business,” he spat in her face.

“Punch him, Hange!” Jean cried.

“You’re with the First Interior Squad. . .” The man started. “Funny. . . what’re the Capital’s MPs doing down in Trost?”

“What’s so strange about it?” the man asked. “Somebody has to get the real work done while you people run around playing soldier.” Hange’s eyes were wide.

“He’s sweating,” Mikasa said.

“What’re you thinking?” Armin asked Hange.

“Yes. . . You’re completely right! I see now, I’m worthless compared to you! Simply being in your presence is an honor! Allow me to shake your hand!” She grabbed his hands. “All right, you said it was a robbery. . .” she clutched his hand, face taking on a sad expression. “Poor Nick, I didn’t even realize he had anything worth stealing. . .” She ran her hand over his knuckles.

“What the hell are you doing?”

Erwin had caught on, and he smiled. “You’ll see.”

“Of course he did,” the MP snapped. “Everybody knows the church makes all their little trinkets out of iron.”

“Ah!” Hange gasped. “Are you saying Nick was affiliated with the Order of the Walls?”

“What’re you playing at. . ?” the man gasped.

“He was a friend of mine, that’s why I rushed down here. Except I thought he was a craftsman making chairs or something. I even put it on his application to board here. . .”

“Let go!”

“Man, you really need to work on your social skills,” Connie shook his head.

“Still, I suppose that this is a reminder that we never really know people as well as we think we do,” Hange was staring at the man’s knuckles.

“They’re bruised,” Armin gasped.

Jean’s eyes grew wider. “Did the MPs. . ?”

“Enough! Let go!” The MP snatched his hand back, and Hange stumbled back exaggeratedly.

“Woah!” She saluted. “Of course, sorry! Well, then I wish you luck with the investigation. When you catch the culprit, will you tell them something for me?” her eyes were wide, and she was smiling.

“How do you always manage to make everything creepy?” Connie shuddered.

“You may feel that what you did to him was justified, perhaps even righteous. Well I don’t give a single shit what your motivation was.” Her glasses flashed. “I hope I’ll be able to personally see that you’re tortured, and the horrors visited upon you will be greater than any my friend endured. Oh, yes, far greater!”

“They’re humans, Hange, not Titans!”

“Don’t be ridiculous! I’d never hurt a Titan!”

“I think someone needs to get her a dictionary,” Connie muttered.

“Please pass that along. We’ll leave you to it.” Moblit and Hange walked down the hall, the MPs watching them nervously.

“The pastor. You think they killed him?” Moblit asked.

“Yes. That man’s name was Djel Sannes. The skin on his fists was split open. Nick was tortured by the First Interior Police,”

An image of Nick tied to a chair, teeth and nails being ripped out as he screamed in pain showed up. “And then murdered.”

Historia’s hands flew to her mouth with a gasp, and the others reacted similarly. Humans hurting humans. . . Armin’s stomach lurched. If I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes, I never would have known. He thought back to Mikasa’s past, then the Underground they’d seen in Levi’s backstory. Or maybe it’s always been there, and we’ve just chosen to ignore it.

The scene switched back to show the group in the cottage. “I figured the church would want to get their hands on Nick once they found out he was working with the Scouts. That’s why I hid his identity and had him stay in the barracks.” Th camera moved over their uneasy faces. “I never figured they would use soldiers to kill him.” Hange’s head dropped. “This was my fault. I should have been more careful.”

Levi picked up his teacup, taking a sip. “Tortured him. . . presumably for information.” Armin said. “Did they just want to know what he’d passed on to us?”

“Most likely,” Levi put his teacup down. “But these are the interior MPs we’re dealing with, so you can bet there’s something deeper at work here.” He turned to Hange. “Know how many nails the good pastor was missing?” Hange looked up. “You saw, right?”            

“I only saw a glimpse of him, but all the nail beds I saw were empty.”

“People who talk talk after one. If they don’t, ripping off more won’t make a difference.” Levi looked away. “I’m impressed. I didn’t think much of Pastor Nick, but, whatever his faults, he stuck with his beliefs until the very end.”Hange looked down, hands shaking.

“Which means they have no idea we know about the Reiss family.” Levi’s eyes narrowed. “But the government’s up to something, and we’ve got a target on our backs.”

The door opened, and they all looked up. “Captain Levi, sir, I have a message from
Commander Erwin.” Nifa walked in, handing a note to Levi. “I went to tell him about Pastor Nick, but he sent me right back.”

“Oh, god,” Sasha groaned, covering her eyes. “Not more bad news.”            

“I have a feeling the world really doesn’t like us,” Connie groaned.

Everybody fell silent, thinking about their newfound information about Marley and the rest of the world outside the Walls, and what the phrase meant for them now.

Levi’s eyes narrowed. “Get your gear, now. We’re leaving.” He stood up. “Make it look like we were never here.”

“Dump a bucket of mud on the floor!” Hange cried, grinning. “They’d never suspect Levi to be hiding in somewhere that messy!”

“Doubt that’d work,” Petra winced at the memories of long hours of cleaning. “The place would be so clean that it’d repel any more dirt.”

“If we die, blame it on the broom.” Jean said.

The door crashed open as an MP kicked it open. The camera moved away, showing MPs with rifles and torches surrounding the cottage, and the soldiers standing on a cliff some ways away, dressed in long cloaks and holding rifles of their own.

“That was close,” Connie said, face pale. “What if they’d caught us? Would they rip our nails off, too?”

“How did the Commander know they’d be heading here?” Armin asked.

“The government’s passed down some new orders,” Levi said. “There’s been a freeze on all Scout activity outside the Wall. We’re to hand over Eren and Historia.” Everybody reacted with expression of shock.

“Wait, what?”

“We’re fighting the government, too?”

“I thought this was an action/adventure, not a freaking political war!”

“Captain, I didn’t have time to tell you,” Nifa said. “But some MPs came for the Commander right after I left him.” Military Police personnel were seen approaching Erwin as Nifa ducked around a corner.

“What, like he’s some kind of criminal?” Hange demanded.

“They’re bringing this fight out into the open. No more working from the shadows,” Levi lowered his rifle.

“That’s fucked up,” Jean scowled.

“Yeah,” Armin nodded, but his mind was racing. What purpose could the MPs have for imprisoning Erwin? It can’t just be about Eren and Historia – what else are they after?

“They’re going to protect the Walls secrets at any cost,” Hange said. “But why? And what exactly are they after Eren and Historia for? They don’t want them dead. So, what are they planning?”

“Who knows?” Levi said. “But they want these two, and they’re not being subtle about it. Which makes lingering here dangerous. We’re taking Eren and Historia to Trost.”

Everybody reacted with shock. “We’re taking them to the same district where Pastor Nick was just murdered?” Moblit frowned.

“Heading towards the Interior would be worse,” Levi replied. “With Trost in a panic, it should be easier to slip through. And if things all do go to hell,” he moved his cloak, showing the ODM hidden underneath. “We can use these in the city.”

“That’s true,” Armin said.

“It’s also risky,” Petra frowned. “We made the same mistake with the Female Titan – assuming that we knew what was going on.”

“Under normal circumstances, maybe,” Erwin said. “But these aren’t normal circumstances. We’re fighting humans, not Titans.”

“Fighting humans,” Jean frowned. “I still can’t get used to that idea.”            

“You never will,” Levi replied.

“We don’t know the identity of our enemy yet,” Levi said. “I have an idea on how we can change that. Hange. I’ll need you to lend me some of your squad.”

Hange nodded. “No problem,” she frowned. “All right. I’m going after Commander
Erwin. Moblit’s with me. The rest of you, go with Levi.”

“Roger!”

Eren gasped as Hange and Moblit began to leave. “Hange!” he walked forwards as Hange prepared to mount her horse. “Here,” he held out a slip of paper. “I remembered a conversation between Ymir and Bertolt; I wrote it down for you. It’s all there.”

“Somehow, it’s a little less exciting now that we know what’s on it,” Armin sighed.

“Still, it’ll be interesting to see how we react to it,” Erwin said. “And we could learn how to prevent critical mistakes in this future.”

“Thank you. I’ll take a look at it later.” She and Moblit rode off.

The camera moved, showing two people walking up, watching the group from a distance. “Rather quick on the move, aren’t they?” a woman’s voice commented.

“Huh. The kid may be small, but he’s disciplined. I’ll give him that.”

Levi’s eyes widened, and his heartbeat quickened. His fists clenched. No fucking way.

“Huh?” Hange frowned. “Who’re they talking about?”

Petra glanced at Levi out of the corner of her eye, taking in his face, paler than usual, and white-knuckled fists. Does the Captain know?

“An acquaintance of yours?” the woman asked.

The man’s cloak shifted, and he pulled out a wide-barreled gun. “An old one.”

“Wha?” Hange gasped. “What’s going on?”

“What kind of gun was that?” Jean was pale.

“Who’re they talking about?”

“He said kid, so it must be one of the recruits,” Ymir frowned. “But which one?”

“Connie?” Jean suggested. “I mean, he’s the shortest out of all of us. . .”

“But the man said that he was disciplined – sounds more like he was talking about Armin.” Eren said.

Armin shook his head. “I’ve never met anybody that sounded like him in my life.”

“An old acquaintance,” Erwin frowned. “It’s more likely he’s talking about an officer.”

All eyes turned to Levi. He scowled, trying to mask the frantic feeling in his chest. “What, making short jokes now?”

“Levi,” Erwin said. “Do you know this man?”

Levi shrugged. “Can’t say, since I can’t see his face,” he lied.

Erwin frowned, but didn’t push it as he unpaused the episode.

The screen showed an overhead shot of Trost as a bell tolled. The group walked through town, cloaks on and bags on their backs. “Try not to walk clustered together,” Levi said. “We’ll stand out. Eren and Historia, just act normal.”

Hange snorted. “Too late,”

Petra had to agree. “You’re all wearing matching cloaks in the middle of the summer. Did you honestly think nobody would notice?”

“What is it with the Scouting Legion and not understanding the concept of being inconspicuous?” Jean rolled his eyes. “I mean, first the Suicidal Bastard, and now the Captain, too?”            

“You’re in there too, horseface,” Eren snapped.

Armin frowned. “No, he’s not. And neither am I.”

“Wait, what?”

Erwin raised an eyebrow. So that’s his plan, then.

“Why’s the royal flag hanging everywhere?” Connie looked around.

“Today must be the anniversary of the King’s coronation,” Sasha realized. “Once a year they hand out extra rations to celebrate it.”

“Huh.”

“How do you know this, Sasha?” Petra asked. “I thought you grew up in a mountain village.”

“It’s a celebration of handing out extra food. Of course she knows about it,” Connie said.

“May I have your attention, please!” an MP called out, and Connie stopped, looking at a raised platform, Eren and Historia behind him.

Armin frowned. Something didn’t seem right about those two.

“King Fritz has heard of the hardships in Trost,” the MP said. “He is donating the royal family’s reserves. Form a line! There’s plenty to go around” The crowd cheered.            

“All that food, and he’s just giving it away?” Sasha sounded astounded.

“Don’t know why you’re complaining, Potato Girl. I thought you’d be all over this.”

“It’s not as if he needs it all,” Levi said. “Easier to control people when they’re not starving.” The group walked away, and a man in the crowd turned to look at them before disappearing into the throngs of people.

Connie shivered. “Anybody else getting bad vibes?” he asked nervously.

Sasha sighed. “We never get a break, do we?”

The camera focused on a shot of the royal palace. “Handing out those rations depleted more than sixty percent of the reserves.” A group of nobles was gathered before the King’s throne. “That’s quite a bit just to raise morale, Lord Reiss. Quite steep.”            

Everybody gasped.

Historia’s dad? Armin thought.

“It was necessary,” Lord Reiss said. “We had to do something to improve the public’s opinion of the royal family. Now we just need the other pieces of the puzzle. And the sooner we have them, the better.”

Erwin frowned. “Lord Reiss is a mere regional lord,” he said, thoughtful. “So how is it that he’s on the King’s council?”

“And, from the looks of things, it seems he has a lot of power amongst them,” Armin said. I wonder what he’s hiding?

Another noble turned to look at a Military Policeman standing by the doors. “The
Military Police have failed us again?”

“I’ll return at once. We’ll continue the hunt.”           

“It’s Sannes!” Hange gasped.

“No – we’ll soon have what we need. Things are in motion now.” All of the nobles turned to watch the King, who sat slumped against one side of the throne, watching them with cold, empty eyes.

Connie shuddered. “It’s like he’s dead,” he said.

The scene returned to Squad Levi walking through town. Levi was looking around, when he suddenly stopped, turning around. “Behind us! Look out!” A carriage was barrelling towards them, wheels bumping on the rocky road. The soldiers were tossed aside as the carriage drove by, the two men inside grabbing Eren and Historia as they drove by.

“Armi –” Sasha cried. “Uh, I mean, Krista and Eren! Those bastards are running off with them!”

It hit Armin like a load of bricks. He turned to Levi. “You used body doubles.”

Levi’s face betrayed nothing, but his eyes flashed. “Maybe.”

The cart drove under a bridge, and Mikasa and Levi were shown, crouched on the ground. Mikasa stood, running after them. The scene changed, showing a different, covered carriage driving through a different street. “Will it really work again?” Eren was shown sitting inside the carriage, Historia across from him. “With that horseface of his, we look nothing alike. Well, Jean, good luck.”

“Oh, come on!” Jean shouted as everybody else, despite the serious situation, burst into laughter. “Again?”

The scene changed, showing Jean sitting, tied to a chair, wearing a brown wig, eyes wide. Raspy laughter was heard, and Armin was shown sitting across from him, wearing a blonde wig tied into a ponytail and a dress. “Yes, so nice,” a man ran his hand over his chest, drooling and grinning. “Let me hear how much you like it. Well?” He gripped his cheek as he continued pawing. “How’s that? Feel’s good, doesn’t it? Come on, I’m dying to hear that sweet voice.” Armin squeaked in terror and looked at Jean, tears in his eyes.

The expression of everybody in the room darkened. “Bastards,” Eren growled, fists clenching.

Mikasa agreed wholeheartedly. When I get my hands on them. . .

Jean turned his head away, gritting his teeth. This is why I didn’t want to go through this shit a second time! Screw being his body double!

“Just give me one little moan, lovely, you know you want to.” Mikasa was shown watching from a window above, before moving to the side. Wires from ODM were heard, and a puff of gas was seen.

“What, you’re not going to help?” Connie protested.

Armin shook his head. “No. This must be part of the Captain’s plan.”

She landed on a rooftop where Levi knelt, waiting. “How’s everything going inside?” he asked.

“If we wait very much longer, they’ll see through Armin’s disguise,” she said. “He’s. . . getting pawed at.” Levi turned his head to glance at her.

“I see.”

Mikasa glanced at him. “How’s your leg? Any better?”

Levi’s hand rested on his knee. “I can move well enough,” he dismissed.

“What?!” Connie jumped off the couch. “Did anybody else see that?” he pointed at the TV.

“Something is not right,” Jean had looked less frightened when they’d been fighting the Female Titan.

“Are they actually getting along?” Sasha felt like pinching herself to check she wasn’t dreaming.

“Hit the deck!” Connie cried. “They don’t hate each other! The world must be ending!”

Both Levi and Mikasa scowled. “I don’t hate him,” Mikasa snapped, trying to quell the guilt that had swelled up at the mention of his injured leg. It was my fault.

“Did you notice?” Levi asked as the camera focused on the building from afar. “These kidnappers are obviously rank amateurs – why wouldn’t they use professionals for a job like this?”

Levi frowned. Under normal circumstances, the thought never would have crossed his mind, but now, after watching the opening and most of the episode, the idea began probing at his mind. We can’t be that unlucky. . . can we?

Levi stood. “You can handle the rest on your own,” he told Mikasa, walking away. “I’m going to go meet up with Eren. You can come join me when you’re done taking out the trash here.”

“Oh, Captain,” Petra sighed, smiling fondly.

“Yes, sir.”

Levi stopped. “There’s one more thing you should know, too, just in case,” he said.
“Tell Armin and the others, too.” Mikasa frowned.

“What’s the message?” Armin asked. Levi was watching the TV, eyes narrowed.

“Can’t say for sure until we finish the episode,” he replied. Oh, god, we really are that unlucky – did I break a mirror by accident or something?

Eren and Historia’s cart was shown going down an empty street. The door to the warehouse opened, and Armin and Jean raised their heads a group of men walked in. “You’re sure about this?” a man asked as the two soldiers glowered at him. “These are the two we’re looking for?”

Mikasa frowned. Something about that voice seemed familiar, but she just couldn’t place it.            

“Yeah, they fit the descriptions we were given.”

Eren rolled his eyes. Sure.

Mikasa was shown crouching behind a box as the men walked by, glowering fiercely.
“Huh? Where’s the guard?”

Mikasa rushed out, kneeing one of the men in the face. The video slowed down, showing her in the air, grabbing the man’s head.

Everybody couldn’t help but lean forwards a little.

The two men in front turned, shocked as Mikasa grabbed the other man, tossing him on the ground. The redheaded man fumbled with a gun as the other stumbled back. “What the hell?”

“Badass,” Connie and Sasha high-fived.

Jean and Armin burst out of the chairs, grabbing the ropes.

“Wait, you mean you could have literally gotten out any time you wanted?”

Mikasa kicked the redhead in the face, sending him spinning before he landed on his back, gun flying out of his hand. “Don’t even think about moving,” Jean snarled as he and Armin tied the other two men up.

The last man grunted as Mikasa forced him to the ground. “Connie, are these four really all of them?” she called, looking behind her at a skylight.

Mikasa frowned. I know who he is. It’s on the tip of my brain.

“Yeah, that’s all!” the man below Mikasa growled. “No one else in the area!” His hand shot into his jacket and he pulled out a gun.

Everybody stiffened.

An arrow appeared out of nowhere, shooting right through the centre of the gun, sticking it to the ground. Mikasa and the man both stared at it.

“Move again, and you won’t like where the next shot hits!” Sasha was kneeling on top of a larger crate as she tugged another arrow from her quiver, lodging it into her bow.

Jean clapped appreciatively, and Sasha beamed.

“Nice job, sharpshooter,” Hange grinned.

“Not bad,” Levi nodded.

“All right,” Mikasa said, tying the man’s hands behind his back. “First, we get these guys secured. Next, we meet up with the Captain.” She stood.

“What do you mean?” Armin asked.

“Those are his orders. He left a message, too.”

“Oh, come on!” Hange cried as the screen switched back to the carriage in the street. “Just tell us what the message is, already!”

“You, there!” the carriage driver called.

“Out of the way!” The camera shifted to a nearby rooftop, where Nifa knelt. There was a whirring of wires, and Levi landed next to her.

“Captain.”

“Well?” Levi leaned back against a chimney.

“The road’s crowded, but. I’ve seen nothing unusual.” The camera zoomed out, showing another member of Hange’s squad crouched on a nearby rooftop. “It’s not far to Commander Pixis’s from here, so I think we’re good. How’s the body double mission going?”

“We’re working with Pixis?”

“Looks like it.”

“A success.”

“You don’t seem very pleased about that.”

“Please,” Hange snorted. “When is Levi ever happy?”

“No, she’s right,” Erwin frowned. “What’s bothering you?” he asked the black-haired soldier.

“Just a theory,” Levi was watching the TV intently, hands tight on his biceps.

“I’m not,” Levi’s eyes were cold as he watched the street. Something’s wrong, he thought. The Military Police can’t be behind this. They’re too careful of their reputation to use amateurs. This is more like. . .

Shit. Levi’s hands clenched. One of us definitely walked under a ladder.

They know the wagon will be followed. A support team won’t be far behind.

“Captain,” Levi looked up at Nifa. “The wagon’s almost on the move again.”

Levi looked back at it. “Nifa,” he said. “You’ve heard of Kenny the Ripper?”

Levi’s heart was pounding so hard he was sure the others could hear it. Hange frowned quizzically.

“Is that relevant?” Armin asked.

“That mass murderer in the Capital?” Nifa looked nervous. “The one who slit the throats of over a hundred MPs? Of course, but I always thought he was just an urban legend.”

“Disgusting,” Eren scowled. Humans shouldn’t kill other humans, no matter what they’ve done!

“I’ve heard of him,” Jean shuddered. “The older kids in the neighbourhood would tell us stories to scare us.

“Sounds terrifying,” Sasha shuddered.

“The stories are all true,” Levi’s expression was closed off. “He’s no legend,” there was a hint of bitterness in his voice.

“Huh?”

“I lived with him. Back when I was a kid.”

“I’m sorry, what?” Connie practically fell off the couch. Erwin dropped the remote. All eyes turned to Levi, wide and full of shock.

“You lived with a serial killer?” Hange sounded, for once, fearful.

Eren thought back to Levi’s past. “How?” he asked.

“Is he your dad?” Jean asked.

Levi’s lip curled in revulsion and everybody instinctively leaned away.
“Doubt it,” he growled. “If he were, he wouldn’t have –” He stopped.

“Wouldn’t have. . ?” Erwin looked at him.

Levi’s expression became closed off. “Not important. Just keep playing it.”

Everybody desperately wanted to ask, but the air of danger around him warned everybody away. If it’s important, the TV will show it, Erwin decided, picking up the remote and pressing the play button.

“Y – Yeah. Really funny, sir. This isn’t the time to be making jokes,” Nifa looked nervous.

That’s right, Levi thought. He wouldn’t care about using amateurs. The camera showed an overhead shot of the building they were on. The team would trail the cart from both angles. They’d choose a spot high up. Somewhere with a clear line of sight.

Behind Levi, a figure climbed up onto the roof, raising two guns.

“Oh, shit,” Jean vocalized the thought on everybody’s minds.

Levi gasped, eyes widening. “Nifa!”

The man fired both guns, letting out loud explosions. Time slowed down as Levi ducked, barely escaping as the shot grazed his hair, blasting against the chimney. The other one hit Nifa in the face.

“Oh, fuck,” Eren’s eyes widened.

Hange was staring at the TV, shocked. Nifa. . .

Blood flew through the air as the music picked up, Levi’s eyes widening. He narrowed his eyes, rushing behind what remained of the chimney, grabbing the trigger of his ODM. The camera focused on Nifa’s body, lying against the bloodstained roof, face blown to bits of gore.

Historia’s hands flew to her mouth, eyes widening in horror.

A flock of red-eyed, black birds flew through the air. The other soldiers of Hange’s squad were shown as more enemies climbed onto the roofs, shooting them. The goggled soldier from earlier received a blast in the face and fell off the roof, past a little girl’s bedroom window and landing on the sidewalk in front of a child and her mother, who screamed as the camera focused on the man’s face, half-destroyed, one eye wide.

Eren felt like throwing up.

The scene returned to Levi, staring wide-eyed at Nifa’s body, breathing shakily.

The man lowered his guns, standing up. “Long time, Levi,” he walked up the roof.
“Still a runt, or have you grown some?”

Nobody could find it in themselves to make any short jokes.

The man pressed a trigger on his gun, and the two barrels fell away. He slid them onto a row of more barrels attached to his leg, gun clanking as they attached. He raised the weapons.

In a different part of the city, the familiar whirrs and puffs of ODM were heard as soldiers flew through town. They flew into the air, forming a circle around the rooftop where Levi stood. However, the gear they wore was very different from the type the Scouts were used to.

“What kind of gear is that?” Hange cried.

“Guns?” Jean was pale.

“Those weren’t made for killing Titans,” Armin’s eyes were wide with horror as Hange began furiously taking notes. “They were made for hunting humans.”

The man pressed a trigger on his own gear, and a cable shot out, attaching to the chimney. “Woohoo!” he flew through the air in an arc, soaring over Levi. “Nope,” the hat flew back, showing his face as he glared at the man on the roof. “Don’t look like you’ve changed much at all, boy.”

Levi tugged out his swords and glared at the man, face wild with rage.

Everybody flinched back, chills running down their spines and heartbeats picking up as Levi roared in rage.

“Kenny!”

xxx

“We’re fighting humans,” Connie said, for what must have been the tenth time that minute. “We’re fighting humans.”

“They killed our people,” Jean was pale and shaky. “They. . . they did it without a second thought!”

“And they’re the ones trying to capture Eren and Historia,” Armin was ashen.

“Levi,” Erwin said. “That man, Kenny the Ripper – what are the chances he’s leading a squad of MPs?”

Levi was glaring at the dark TV screen. “Highly unlikely,” he said, voice calm, but with an undertone of fury. “He hated the shits – and I doubt that even the MPs would be so welcoming of a guy that’d killed almost two hundred of their people.”

“But where else would he get that ODM gear?” Hange asked.

Levi’s expression darkened. “ODM’s hard enough to get when you’re not in the military,” he said, thinking back to his days in the Underground. “Getting custom ODM like that’s even harder.”

“In other words, he’s almost certainly working with the MPs,” Erwin frowned. “That’s not good.”

“Could you take him, Captain?” Eren asked.

Levi looked at him. “Normally? Maybe. With those weapons. . ?” he trailed off.

“So, in other words?” Connie asked weakly.

Levi’s expression didn’t change. “We’re fucked.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

83.4K 3K 50
"๐“๐ซ๐ฎ๐ญ๐ก, ๐๐š๐ซ๐ž, ๐ฌ๐ฉ๐ข๐ง ๐›๐จ๐ญ๐ญ๐ฅ๐ž๐ฌ ๐˜๐จ๐ฎ ๐ค๐ง๐จ๐ฐ ๐ก๐จ๐ฐ ๐ญ๐จ ๐›๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ, ๐ˆ ๐ค๐ง๐จ๐ฐ ๐€๐ซ๐ข๐ฌ๐ญ๐จ๐ญ๐ฅ๐ž" ๐ˆ๐ ๐–๐‡๐ˆ๐‚๐‡ Caitlin Clark fa...
136K 4.8K 39
โ if I knew that i'd end up with you then I would've been pretended we were together. โž She stares at me, all the air in my lungs stuck in my throat...
402K 24.4K 83
Y/N L/N is an enigma. Winner of the Ascension Project, a secret project designed by the JFU to forge the best forwards in the world. Someone who is...