Loki x Reader: Into the MCU

By Abi-wan_Kenobi

NOTE: Definitely an Avenger's fic as much as a Loki one. It's kinda mixed "reader" and original character. I... More

Chapter 1: The Portal
Chapter 2: The Avengers
Chapter 3: Some Explaining to Do
Chapter 4: It Starts
Chapter 5: Settling In
Chapter 6: Dinner
Chapter 7: Gameplan
Chapter 8: The Unexpected
Chapter 9: Stranded
Chapter 10: Asgard
Chapter 11: Meeting Mischief
Chapter 12
Chapter 13: Darling
Chapter 14: The Throne Room
Chapter 15: Waiting
Chapter 16: Bit of Tension
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19: Rocky Relationship
Chapter 20
Chapter 21: Some Loki-Reader Bonding Time
Chapter 22: Horror Movie
Chapter 23: The Prank Wars
Chapter 24: Suit Up
Chapter 25: The Collector
Chapter 26: The Dance
Chapter 27: The Library
Chapter 28: James Buchanan Barnes
Chapter 29: I Love Sam and Bucky...
Chapter 30: Sakaar
Chapter 31: The Revolution
Chapter 32: Aftermath
Chapter 33: Halloween
Update
Chapter 34: No Such Thing As a Quiet Month
Chapter 35: Always Meet Your Villains
Chapter 36: [Insert Title I'll Think of Tomorrow When I'm Not Tired]
Chapter 37: What A Bunch of A-Holes
Chapter 38: I Love You, My Sons
Chapter 39: When in Rome
Chapter 40: A Tiny Event
Chapter 41: An Extended Stay
Chapter 42: [Insert Another Title I'm Too Tired To Think Of]
Chapter 43: Orientation
Chapter 44: Strange Signs
Chapter 45: Fate
Chapter 46: Picking Up the Pieces
Chapter 47: We're In the Endgame Now
Chapter 48: Time Heist
Chapter 49: Assemble
Chapter 50: Decompress
Chapter 51: Vacation
Chapter 53: Glorious Purpose
Update About Spinoff Thingamajiggy

Chapter 52: Love is Mischief

3.9K 160 594
By Abi-wan_Kenobi

Notes: Sorrryyy!!! If you didn't see my messages I've posted, I didn't write anything the first week after the last chapter cuz I was both sick and had a funeral/viewing that week for my mom's best friend. Then this past week I had camp and got sick again (what the hell's up with that?). So here I am, over two weeks late, but finally have it out!
Hope you enjoy, and sorry for the wait! Also, I did all of this on my phone, so help me out if autocorrect was a bitch!

The first week blew by too quickly. There was so much to do, including just relaxing, that the time flew. Even though everyone would split by themselves or with small groups throughout the day, everyone always got together in the evening. Cookouts and parties by the pool were a common occurrence. Beach trips together had happened on quite a few occasions as well.

Seeing as it was both summer and vacation, Loki couldn't wear his usual Asgardian attire. Surprisingly, you didn't have to tell him. He dressed in midgardian clothes. The first time he walked in with a white v-neck and navy blue shorts you just about died of shock.

"I don't think I've ever seen you wear something that isn't green or black," you'd gasped.

"Thor wears colors different than his usual clothes back home. Why wouldn't I?"

"Because on the rare occasion you have, I've only ever seen black and green."

"What, the two times you've seen?"

"Still, you were two for two. That's a 100%."

"Fantastic math, Darling."

"I just didn't know you wore other colors."

"I know this will be impossibly hard for you to hear, but we aren't just comic book characters. There are no set colors and costumes we have to abide by. Normal people wear different colors."

"Did you just say you were normal???"

"Don't change the subject when I'm winning."

"Winning what? It's not like I'm fighting your color change, it looks good."

And so he'd continued wearing a wide set of clothes. You knew it had caught the others off guard too. Perhaps not for the small detail of color, but simply for the fact that seeing Loki look like he was ready to recline on a beach with a drink in his hand (the ones with those little umbrellas obviously) was something none of them could ever have thought they'd see one day.

He'd never once backed out of hanging with people. In fact, he joined everything, partaking in festivities and life like it was the most natural thing to do. The month without you had really brought him to a new place, one where he had fully embraced Avenger life. Fully embraced life, actually. Just living. No more fighting his instinctual fall back of pretending he wanted to be alone.

The team must have fully accepted him while you were gone too, for they carried on with him like he'd always been a friend. No tension, no hostilities. No more "yeah we like him now, but he could still be buttering us up for a backstabbing."

Life was good.

The houses, though able to sleep six in a pinch, had been divided amongst the team to accomodate two or three members each.

Tony and Pep had #1. Steve and Rhodey, #2. Bucky and Sam, #3. Nat, Bruce, and Yelena, #4. Vision and Wanda, #5. Clint and his family, #6. Nebula, Gamora and Mantis, #7. Rocket, Groot, and Quill, #8. Korg, Drax, and Miek, #9. Zemo had been #10.

Now, you, Thor and Loki had 10. The Parkers and Ned had 11. Wong and Strange had 12. T'Challa, Shuri, and Okoye had 13. Scott and Hope had 14, and Carol, who'd come later in the week, took 15 for herself.

Activities so far had included lots of beach time, tennis, group volleyball matches, boat rides, snorkeling, and countless other things.

The boat ride had been one of the highlights. Tony had a yacht, obviously, which was beautiful and amazing as is. But you'd begged Sam and Bucky to do the Titanic Jack and Rose pose at the front of the ship. Though they'd denied profusely, you and the rest of the team were able to guilt trip them into doing it by using the "I'm leaving this world for good soon, and I won't even have a picture of us fooling around." With that, they'd finally agreed to pose for one picture.

As promised, Loki was gifted a phone to make some memories on, which you helped him with. Not that that was necessary, for Tony had everything photographed. Both officially and otherwise. He'd caught hilarious action shots without the knowledge of many.

Stories had been passed between the team, so you were officially brought up to date on what everyone had been doing while you were dead. Rocket and Thor had danced around some detail in their story, that was obvious. You dug the answer out of Thor later, learning of Rocket's little side mission and how they ran into younger you.

Despite how the battle and Thanos' defeat had been a frequent topic of discussion the first day or two, something had never occurred to you until the night of your eighth day back.

The group had had a fire again, with people leaving at their own leisure. Sam, who'd just dried off and changed from an evening swim before dinner and the campfire, was one of the small group left. The others were Yelena, Peter, Loki, Shuri, T'Challa, Rocket, Ned, Steve, Bucky, and yourself. Besides Steve and T'Challa, everyone else was either aware of the prank about to ensue or were a part of it.

Just as Sam, Bucky, and Steve stood up to go, Redwing flew in. He started shooting small taser blasts towards Sam, missing just at his feet, but doing the intended job. It chased him right into a nice tumble in the pool.

"Who touched Redwing???" Sam demanded as he splashed his way through the surface.

"Touched him???" you said through laughter.

"Told you I always liked that little guy," Bucky smiled.

"You hate Redwing! I know it's you," Sam said threateningly as he staggered up the pool steps.

"Yeah, I reprogrammed a flying robot," Bucky said, unfazed.

"You're right, you don't know how to work a microwave," Sam begrudgingly agreed, looking around the group of still chuckling culprits. His eyes fell on Peter, who widened his.

"What?" Peter said, his entire stance giving himself away.

"It was Wren and Mr. Loki's idea, Shuri and Rocket helped reprogram it, Yelena helped capture it, and Mr. Barnes knew, so it wasn't Peter's fault Mr. Falcon sir!" Ned said quickly, "We only kinda sorta helped. Maybe we thought up the idea to get you wet again, but that was just a small thing!"

"Why am I never shocked to hear you're involved?" T'Challa looked over at Shuri.

"We'd have come to you too, brother, if we didn't think you'd be the stick in the mud who'd turn us in."

"I can keep a secret."

"You'd have told us not to do it."

"Suggested, Shuri. Only suggested."

"Thanks," Sam said sarcastically to the king.

"I suggested using live rounds," you said casually, "But I was overruled, so taser shots is what we got."

"You look really nice and dry, Wren," Sam started moving forward.

"Rocket, cover please!" you shouted as you started weaving your way through the chairs to the gate exit.

Rocket laughed maniacally at having been given permission, and you heard Redwing fly in again.

"No, noooo!" Sam started warning, but the little zaps that sounded behind you indicated Rocket wasn't listening.

You got back to the house, finding it empty. Thor was probably out with Jane, who had been brought in that morning and was going to stay with you and the brothers. You tossed your phone on the couch as you walked through to the kitchen, heading to grab a snack from the pantry.

You had the popcorn ready to go and drinks on the end tables just as the front door opened.

"Cutting it close," you called out.

"You wouldn't start without me."

"Who's to say I haven't watched the whole thing before without you while you're not here?"

Loki flopped down on the couch, grabbing his bowl.

"You have seen the whole thing before."

"Exactly, so it's not like I'd be watching ahead without you, like it wouldn't be rude. I already know it all."

"Shut up," he hushed you as he hit play.

The third episode started.

"Don't skip it," you said.

"I wouldn't," he said as he let the theme song for Stranger Things fill the room.

The bowl of popcorn sat on the cushion between the two of you as you watched the show.

"This is that Weird Stuff show?" Thor asked as he and Jane came in the back door.

"Stranger Things," Jane corrected him.

"Oh, do you watch it? We can watch with them if you'd like?" Thor said, eager to make sure he wasn't keeping her from the show.

"No I haven't yet, it's just blown up in the few days it's been out. We'll watch it together."

"Shhhh," you and Loki shushed.

"Just like they're doing," Jane whispered, motioning Thor out of the room.

"Yeah sorry, we'll give you your privacy...you know, in case the two of you wanted to do anything private...whatever that may be," Thor said obnoxiously, making Jane giggle as he followed her out of the room, smiling at the glare you and Loki gave.

As far as your feelings for Loki were concerned, you'd reached a good place of acceptance. That's not to say you didn't think of it, or wonder whether he liked you, or start analyzing the things he said or did. All stuff you'd done in the past when the team or your instincts had gotten to you. The only difference now was that you were admitting you liked him, which made it worse. You were now searching for the outcome you wanted. However, the decision you'd come to on Asgard was your main motivation. Thinking back to it, and your reason for keeping down your emotions, helped focus your determination. Therefore, it wasn't as hard as you thought it would be to continue on with him. You were going to enjoy your time normally with him, both for yourself and for Loki.

"Nah I think I might fall asleep," you said, seeing it was almost 2AM.

Loki paused the next episode, which he'd let start by itself.

"Then fall asleep," he said, hitting play again.

"Hey!" you hit his arm, a little wrestle for the remote breaking out.

"It's just sad, stop," Loki said in mockery, as you reached pathetically over him for the remote, which he was holding away with his long arm. His other hand was keeping you back with a firm grip on your shoulder.

"No watching without me, that's the rule!"

"Is it though?"

"It's been the rule for me with you."

"Yes, but as you so kindly brought up earlier, you've seen it all already, so it wouldn't be rude for you to watch without me. So I decided you were right, and it isn't rude for me to watch without you."

"Nah nah nah, funny, Loki, really hilarious. You watch the next episode, I spoil the ending and the next two seasons."

His eyes narrowed as he brought his arm in to hand you the remote.

"Thank you," you said victoriously, grabbing it from his hand and shutting off the TV.

"It's not right to leave me on that cliffhanger," he whined.

"I've had to wait two years for season 4. I was this close," you showed an inch of space with your fingers, as you walked up to place the remote on the TV stand, "It was probably coming out some time in 2022, and then I jumped back six years. So I think, and this is just a thought, but I think you can wait til tomorrow night."

"Look at the bright side. Season 4 will feel closer once you've been seven years away from it."

"I'ma borrow a quantum suit when I go back, use it to jump forward and watch the season."

"Yes, risking the timeline for a show is something you'd do."

"The timeline is already slightly messed up in alternate versions, especially the ones you guys visited. Like, when Cap returns the stones I wanna ask him---" you stopped mid sentence.

"Did you not know?" Loki asked, reading your look.

"No no no, wait wait he couldn't have already...he was supposed to..." your eyes stared widely into space as your mind rapid fired.

"Where're you going??" Loki stood as you made for the back door.

"Just stay here, I've gotta---I'll be right back!" you said, letting the storm door swing shut behind you.

The path along the back of the houses was darker than the front, with only the back porch lights of the houses to light the way. From the vast black void to your left came the sound of waves, a beautifully terrifying sound in the dark. It was always weird to look out and know there's nothing but miles and miles of ocean, which seemed more powerful at night.

The summer air and nighttime ocean breeze was perfect, but you hardly noticed as you walked frantically towards house #2.

You jogged up the wooden steps to their porch, hesitating at the door. You didn't want to wake Rhodey, but you needed to talk to Cap...If he was even back, which you were pretty sure he would be at this hour. The complex had seemed to quiet down.

Reaching out, you tested the handle. It was unlocked.

"Screw it," you whispered, pulling the first door open and pushing in the second.

If you hadn't known which room was Cap's, you wouldn't have entered. But it was something you'd learned this week by chance, so you tiptoed quietly up the stairs.

You knocked softly, hoping a supersoldier had refined hearing. Rolling your eyes, you knocked a little louder, looking worriedly down the hall at Rhodey's door.

Thankfully, you heard footsteps approaching the door.

"Wren?" Cap looked confused and slightly concerned, glancing past you to see if anyone else was with you.

"We need to talk," you whispered.

Cap looked at you a for a few seconds before nodding, evidently understanding that whatever it was was urgent for you. He walked back to his dresser, grabbing a shirt to throw on as he walked out his door.

"Let's go downstairs," he whispered, taking the lead towards the staircase.

"What's goin on?" he asked as he leaned back against a counter, arms folded.

"You returned the stones."

"Yeah," he said, seeming to not understand whether it was a question or a statement.

"But you're still here."

His eyes narrowed as his confusion grew.

"Yeah I made it back in one piece. Missions were weird, as usual, but went by pretty---"

"No I mean, you're still here! Like here here, this timeline!"

It was his turn to confuse you, for his expression turned to realization.

"Wait, you know what I'm talking about?" you asked.

"I guess I have the same idea in your world."

"Why didn't you go???"

"Because of you," he said after a few seconds contemplation.

"What, what did I do?"

"Nothing," he assured you, walking a few steps from the counter, "But I brought extra particles, just in case. It was a last second idea, one I just thought of the night before. Bucky knew. I was close to going through with it. Then, I realized that you might know if I do that, if it works. And too many problems happened already, I wanted to talk with you first."

"First?" you said worriedly, pacing back and forth and holding your forehead, "You're back, Cap, you didn't go! I'd have wanted you to go! You should have gone."

"I still can."

You paused and looked at him.

"What?"

"I still have the extra particles...and Bruce may have kept the new quantum tunnel. For one last trip."

"So go!" you said happily, walking up to him.

"It works? I mean, how does it work? So much is changed."

"Question of the century isn't that?" you smiled, "I guess there was a timeline where you were her husband. Because I'm pretty sure it's confirmed that her husband here wasn't you. Who knows how much that changed in that world, but obviously it turned out fine."

"I know her husband," he said, "Not personally, but I know who it was. It wasn't me."

"Yeah good that's what I thought. Cuz kissing your own niece woulda been weird."

"Sharon and I kiss?" he asked in surprise, suddenly looking embarrassed and curious all at once.

"Yeah, you guys kinda reconnect a bit at Peggy's funeral," you said gently, knowing her funeral, which had happened earlier in the year, was a hard day for him, "And then she helps you out in Civil War."

"Right," he nodded, still looking like he was questioning so many things.

"Hey, she's hot too, and pretty badass. I didn't have a problem with the kiss, or her...yet."

"Thanks for the permission," he teased.

"Why did you wait so long to talk to me? I've been here a whole week."

"Time is literally not an issue," he smiled, "Besides, I wanted you to enjoy your weeks here. You earned them."

"Thanks, but Cap I'm happy when I see you guys happy. Your life is ahead of you, a life with her."

He stared into space for a moment, sighing as he looked back at you.

"You know I get it," he said, "How hard this is for you. Choosing which world to stay in."

Your eyes saddened, as your smile faded. You'd told the team you'd try to go back if a way could be found, something Tony and Bruce has already started discussing before even hearing your decision. But you now realized how much your indecisiveness had shown through, because Cap had picked up on how torn you were.

"It really sucks," you nodded.

"Doesn't seem right, choosing one family over another. The thought of seeing her again...of having a life with her...it seems like a no-brainer. But then you look at the other side. The friends in this new life I was thrown into."

"You're preaching to the choir," you said, not having realized how similar your situation was to Cap. He had a new family, new friends. But his home was the forties. To him, he'd only been here for four years. Pair that against the twenty plus years of life before this? It was like how you had a whole life and family back home...and how nine months of a new family sometimes didn't seem enough to cast away the old one. Yet at the same time, it did. At least, it felt just as painful choosing one over the other.

"But Peggy she's...she's my girl," he smiled to himself, a sad reminiscent look in his eyes.

"Which almost makes the decision for you," you nodded, "All the family and friends in the world pale in comparison to finding the one. And they'd all want it for you anyway."

"Sometimes wish I could have both."

"Maybe....maybe you can?" you said, brow furrowed as an idea came to you.

***

"Before you say anything," you spoke to Strange, who had that look on his face, "He's supposed to do it. This isn't something we change. So spare us the long list of rules I'm sure you'll say we're breaking."

The group had been summoned together three days after your talk with Cap. Even Fury was there. Valkyrie had popped in, so she was there too. She was currently staying with Carol.

If the news Steve announced to them was hard to believe, the quantum tunnel stage set on the beach in front of them certainly supported his statement.

"Wow, uh...I guess I understand quotations around his death now," Tony said.

You nodded, looking around the group. Many didn't seem to know what to say.

"I'm happy for you," Sam said, stepping to Steve, "Really, I am. Go get her."

Steve took the handshake, pulling Sam in for a hug. That seemed the queue for everyone to make their way to him to say goodbye.

"You know um..." Tony started, trying to keep his nonchalant face on, but not hiding how sad he was, "You really were as bad as I thought you'd be. Worse even. The real kind of guy my dad would rave about."

Steve chuckled. "Thank you, Tony."

They shook hands, and at first you thought that was all. But finally Tony rolled his eyes and threw his arms around Steve.

"Gonna miss you, buddy," Tony said.

"I'll miss you too. Keep them in line," Steve said as Tony pulled back.

"Oh is that official word from you that I'm in charge? Even though I paid for everything, gave you bed and breakfast, supplied the costumes and gadgets..."

"You are the leader, always were," Steve said seriously, "This family's nothing without the heart."

Tony smiled, nodding as he backed into line with the others.

You and Buck said goodbye to him last. The two friends spoke quietly enough that you couldn't hear what they were saying, and you were sure why. It was the same reason you kept your voice down as you hugged him.

"If this is the last time I see you," you said, light tears in your eyes, "Thank you for being amazing."

"Thank you for this," Steve gave the large group a glance, "Keeping our family together. Take care of yourself."

"You too. And no matter what happens, I'm happy for you. Enjoy some of that life Tony's always telling you to get."

Steve smiled, walking to the steps and taking his place at the center of the circle.

"Don't do anything stupid til I get back," Cap called over to you and Buck.

"You wanna do the honors?" Buck smirked.

"Nah, it's more iconic if you say it."

"How can we? You're taking all the stupid with you," Bucky answered.

"Care to tell me what's going on?" Loki stepped beside you, whispering in your ear. He seemed to think something was up.

Steve gave one last smile to the group, who waved or, if you're Tony, thew some comment back. With a nod, Bruce started flipping switches.

"I don't know what you're talking about," you smiled.

"Three, two, one," Banner counted down, Steve disappearing through time.

Everyone stood for a few seconds, silently staring at the void. You, however, were staring for an entirely different purpose. You and Buck met Bruce's eyes as he reached for the control. Just as people began to turn away, he pressed it. The whirring sound started up, two figures appearing.

"What the hell?" Sam said, everyone slowly stepping towards the platform. The quantum suits retracted, revealing Steve and Peggy.

"I was going to say why don't we just bring her back here!" Yelena said like that won her bonus points.

"You thought of something and it didn't come out your mouth?" Rocket asked in disbelief.

"I didn't want to make his choice harder if he really wanted to be in the forties, ok?"

"Hello," Peggy smiled sheepishly, "I'm sure this is a bit of a shock."

"Shock? No, no who said it was a shock?" Tony said sarcastically.

"You must be Howard's son," Peggy stated.

Tony gave her a look at that, but didn't deny it.

"Why didn't you just tell us?" Rhodey asked.

"Cuz the old man wanted to squeeze a sappy goodbye outa me," Tony said, "Enjoy it, Cap, it's the last nice thing you'll hear me say to you."

"I wasn't sure if Peggy would want to come back with me."

"It took some time to come to terms with his story, and to get my affairs in order, but I came around," she smiled at Steve.

"How much time?" Nat asked.

"Three months. Wait, no, almost four," she corrected herself.

"Once again, I don't wanna hear it," you said, seeing Strange's face.

"At this point there isn't much you could do anymore that wouldn't be a violation of every natural law, so I'm used to it, kid. I was gonna say, welcome to 2016, Ms. Carter," Strange stepped forward, holding his hand out to her. She walked down the steps with Cap, shaking Strange's hand.

"Dr. Stephen Strange," he introduced himself.

"The sorcerer," she nodded, "Can't believe I'm saying that word, but your field sounds fascinating."

"I see Captain Rogers has filled you in," Fury stepped forward.

"He did," she said, giving Fury the same professional inspection look that he was giving her, "Director Fury?"

"Last I checked."

"From what I hear, you've quite botched my program."

"We're still kicking, in more ways than we let our enemies know."

"Well, I look forward to helping you restore Shield to its highest potential," she said with a smirk, holding out her hand.

"Welcome aboard, Agent Carter," Fury shook it.

"If she founded Shield, doesn't that rank her above you?" you asked.

"And I'm still above you," Fury threatened.

"Technically I'm not even an Avenger, and even the Avengers don't work for you anymore, so are you really?"

"Please kid, you're an Avenger," Tony scoffed, turning to lead the way back inside.

Everyone followed, lots of people introducing themselves to Peggy.

"I'm made of rocks, as you can see," you heard Korg saying.

But you were momentarily frozen in thought by Tony's words, taking a slow step after the rest of the group.

"What, didn't think you were part of the team?" Loki nudged your side.

"The team as in the group yeah, but like...I don't know, the team as in an Avenger? Like...what the hell," you breathed in disbelief, "I thought I'd run out of things that would shatter my head, but somehow hearing the words that you're an Avenger takes the cake."

"Well, as a fellow new Avenger, I say we both need a drink to celebrate our promotion," he held out his arm.

"Starting to sound like Thor, using every excuse for a drink," you giggled, taking his arm as he led you down the beach.

"When the occasion calls for it."

"What a thing to check off that bucket list," you smirked after a minute of walking, "Become an Avenger."

"I don't see how it's a shock. After all, your insufferable arrogance and bravery told me all I needed to know about you. You are an Avenger."

You smiled at his words, knowing he was paralleling what he'd said the first time you'd met.

"I stand by what I said then too. The Avengers are the arrogant ones??"

Loki laughed, the two of you reaching the walkway and taking it towards the lodge with the rest.

***

The end of the three weeks, and end of July, was nearly here. Loki had gone out with Nat, Clint, Yelena, Danvers, Okoye, Bucky, and Rhodes. Where to you didn't know, but you didn't need to know. He did his own thing with others more now, which made you happy.

You were by the pool with Vis, Drax, Wanda, Mantis, and Pep.

"Hey guys," Wanda greeted Steve and Peggy as they came in the pool yard.

"Drax and I are playing 'Hold Your Breath Til You Feel You Are Drowning'," Mantis said from the pool, with Drax under the water, "Want to play with us?"

"Um, that's quite alright," Peggy declined politely, "I'm afraid I'm not feeling a swim. Have fun though!"

Mantis went back to watching Drax underneath, who had started spewing bubbles that were floating to the top.

"Tony told me to send you his way," Steve said, "He's in the lodge, top floor."

"He say what for?"

"No, which is either a good surprise or you're in trouble."

"I think with her we can safely assume the latter," Vis joked.

"Yeah I don't know what I did," you groaned, standing from your pool chair and throwing your dress on over your bathing suit.

"He's a Stark, we know how to handle them," Peggy encouraged, giving you a smirk.

"It's certainly a skill," Pepper agreed.

"I'll be fine. Might wanna check on Drax though, I think he's really drowning," you said, having seen the bubbles stop.

You walked out of the gate as the others tried calling Drax. You heard the splash of someone going in after him, but couldn't stick around long enough to see the rest.

You entered the lodge, taking the elevator to the top floor, which was only three floors up. It was evidently a party room, much like Tony's, but now had been turned into a workspace for the boys.

"What's going on here?" you asked as you looked at the tables of machinery and notes and data in the air.

"Good, Cappy found you," Tony clapped his hands together, walking around one of the tables.

"Whatever I did, it was Peter."

"If you hacked Pigeon's flying toy and had it chase him into a pool without repercussions, there's really not a lot I can or will punish you for."

"So whaddya want?" you said after breathing a sigh of relief.

"We've been working on something," Tony said, glancing to Bruce, "And we've got some good news for ya."

"We think we found you a way home," Bruce said.

The news was intended to be happy, but you couldn't prevent the stomach drop you felt.

"Really?" you said, pretending to be normal.

"It's a working progress, but we're pretty sure we've got it," Tony bragged.

"All we need is a quick test from you," Bruce said, pointing to the big ring standing in the room.

"That's gonna be it? The portal I mean."

"Yeah, pretty cool huh?" Tony asked, rubbing his hand along the side of the tall metal structure.

"How does it work?"

"Well, you know how we think you came here because of the link between your alternate self?" Bruce asked.

"Yeah, but that's cuz whatever they did to her enhanced her mind as she screamed out in pain," you scoffed, "There's no version of me back home reaching out for help with advanced serum coursing through her veins."

"See that's the thing, the experiments and the pain she was under caused the freak connection, a sporadic link between the two of you. But what that showed for us was how all we need is a connection," Bruce explained.

"Meaning it doesn't have to be through torturous or mad scientist serum methods," Tony chimed, "All we need is the link, which we amplify using this baby." He tapped the machine.

"What link though? I'm here and there's no me over there."

"You're the link!" Bruce said, "You, your connection to that world. You know it's real, we just need you to focus on it."

"But you all know it's real. Does that mean anyone can now hop dimensions? Heck you now have proof of the multiverse!"

"In time, hypothetical multiversal travel could pan out," Tony said, "But it'd be risky without a destination and nearly a thousand times harder without a preexisting connection."

"So just cuz you know it exists, doesn't mean you have the connection to get there?"

"Exactly," Bruce nodded, "But you have memories. Emotions tied to that universe, people you know and love. We think if you reach out hard enough, we can amplify the gateway."

"And that thing will do the amplifying?" you pointed to the machine.

"That's what I built her for," Tony said, "And I'm usually not wrong."

You opened your mouth to speak but he cut you off.

"Say Ultron and I turn this thing on and toss you in."

"So how do we test it? You wanna open a portal right here?" you said like it was a possible danger.

"What we want is to see if it can start opening, if the machine can enhance it enough," Bruce said, "I won't engage the stabilizers, so she won't stay open. We just want to see if it's possible."

You nodded, looking back up at the circle.

"So how do we do this?"

"You are gonna stand right here," Tony positioned you five feet or so in front of the ring, "Just stay right there, and when we tell you to, say 'There's no place like home' and tap your heels together."

You gave him a look as Bruce moved into position.

"Just think of home, concentrate on visualizing it, on feeling it," Bruce said more helpfully than Tony.

"Got it," you nodded once, taking a deep breath.

"Here," Tony said, strapping a harness around your waste and attaching the end firmly to a pulley system on the table.

"What???"

"Just a precaution. In case, ya know, it misbehaves."

"Ready?" Bruce asked.

You gaped at both of them, shaking your head at the craziness of it. Hesitantly, you nodded again.

"Ok, wait for my signal."

He tapped away at the controls, and, soon, panels on the ring started expanding off, hovering like Tony's nanotech. Probably because it was Tony's nanotech. The panels formed their own arc over you, a blue light seeming to scan you.

"Ok, now," Bruce said.

You closed your eyes, picturing your house. That little one-floor small family home you had. The one you'd grown up in. The one your parents now rented to you for super cheap, as they'd moved to a smaller apartment. The house you had so many memories in. You and your sister, Amy, playing in the backyard. The old wooden fence that lined the border. That stupid door that hadn't opened properly in a year. All of the family barbecues. The nights you and Amy slept out in your little tent, telling scary stories until the late night. Your old high school friend group having gone to see Endgame together, and coming back to that cake your mom was famous for. You thought of them. Your parents, your sister, your friends.

"It's working," Bruce said, and you opened your eyes.

A swirling portal, the same shade of blue as the one in your backyard, was starting to form. It was small, maybe a foot or two across, but it was growing. It eventually filled the six feet of space, before Bruce shut it down.

"So..." you said, breathing a little heavier, "It'll stay open long enough?"

"If I had stabilized it, you would have had all the time you needed. It requires a lot of energy though, so I didn't want to drain the system. It'll stay open until you go through," Bruce said.

You nodded, lost in your own thoughts.

"We did it," Tony high-fived Bruce.

"You did it," you repeated.

Thinking of home had made you miss it, but at the same time now your departure seemed too real, too soon.

"You good kid?" Tony asked.

"Yeah, no I'm good. I just can't believe it. It's been...a long time. Feels longer than it has been."

"I'm sure they're dying to see you," Tony patted you on the back, heading for the door, "Just as we're dying to get rid of you."

He left, but Bruce stayed, staring at you with the look of a scientist breaking down a problem.

"You sure this is what you want?" Bruce asked.

"What if I said the answer was yes and no?"

"I'd say I wouldn't want to be in your shoes," Bruce smiled understandingly.

"So...when do I go?"

"Whenever you want."

You looked down at the ground.

"I want to say goodbye when everyone is here for me to say it to," you said, "Seeing you all together would be the way I'd want my last glimpse of this world to be."

You looked up to find Bruce's sad but supportive look.

"Sounds like a great last glimpse."

"It will be."

He nodded, giving you a small smile.

"People start heading out on Saturday."

"So Friday night?" you asked, your voice faltering a bit.

"Friday night."

"I'll uh... I'll tell the others tonight I guess? Don't tell anyone please?"

"Let's just hope Tony doesn't let it slip."

"Thank you, Bruce," you smiled, "For doing this for me."

"The least we could do," he waved off the thanks.

"I'll uh, I'll see you at dinner," you turned away.

"See ya," you heard him reply.

You got in the elevator and leaned back against the wall, taking in a sharp breath. Your eyes were starting to water, so you rubbed them, grumbling in irritation.

Friday night, you thought, trying to test if you could think it without crying.

You managed to not tear up, telling yourself you had this under control.

Friday night.

That was only two days away.

***

Thursday evening you were sitting in the living room of your house. There were so many things you wanted to do before you left. You felt like you should be out hanging with anyone and everyone you could. But the weight of how much time you wanted to spend with everyone only brought the truth that it was going to be over soon. And you didn't want to face that. Somehow, sitting in this room ignoring your problems felt safe. You knew it was stupid. But you were afraid, in moments like this, that your emotions would result in tears if you ran out to find someone.

They'd all been treating you differently as was. Like they were avoiding you all day. Whispering around you. Whether it was their own way of coping or they didn't know how to act normal was anyone's guess. You understood. It's why you hid in here. It was hard to not treat every interaction and moment as if it was the last, which just made things harder.

Still, no one had come to find you. You knew it was a stupid thing to think, but you couldn't keep from jumping to it now and again.

Stop waiting for someone to drag you from your gloom. You have to do it yourself.

Still, you sat.

The door opening perked you up, and you quickly made it look like you were searching through Netflix.

"Why are you in here?" Thor asked.

"Oh, just relaxing you know? That game of manhunt last night was intense."

"Yes it was, a great victory."

"We did do a pretty good job wiping the floor with them, didn't we?"

"Of course," Thor laughed, sitting next to you, "But what's the real reason?"

You stared back into those eyes that could be so wise sometimes.

"I wanna be out there...with you guys, making the most of my time here, but..."

"But if you do that, you're admitting to yourself that you have time to waste."

"Yeah," you said sadly, "And I guess everyone else is feeling the same, cuz they've been weird today. Like they're trying not to say things around me."

"They're not avoiding you, I promise," Thor insisted.

"I know not intentionally, like if anything I'm avoiding them right now. But still, I guess the pathetic side of me wanted someone to drag me out of here."

"Allow me then," Thor stood, holding out his hand.

You smiled, taking it as you got up.

"Where to?" you asked.

"I heard dinner's almost ready. Cap asked me to get Tony, but I wanted to check on you first."

"Thanks," you smiled, squeezing his hand.

"Care to join me as we force Stark from his toys?"

"I'd be honored."

You and Thor made your way across to the lodge, hopping in the elevator. You hadn't seen anyone on the way over, which wasn't inherently strange. But dinner was soon, according to Thor, so people should have been heading over to the lodge. In fact, you hadn't heard any voices on the first floor at all.

When the doors opened, you realized why.

"Surprise!" Korg yelled, "Oh, are we not saying that? Ok, yeah, good to know."

You stared in shock for a bit, before the smile broke out.

"I hate you all," you laughed stepping out with Thor.

The room had been cleared of Tony and Banner's junk, now set up for the party it was meant for. The room was decked out in blue and gold, with tables of food, colorful lights, music clearly from your playlist, and everyone, all of your heroes, smiling at you.

"So glad you feel that way after I brought strawberries fresh from Asgard," Brunnhilde said, gesturing to the large bowl on one of the tables.

"Guys you... you didn't have to do this, you shouldn't have."

"Wren, after everything you accomplished, a party is not only warranted, it's a guarantee. You think we were gonna let you go without a going-away/thank you party?" Tony asked.

"Is that why you've all been so weird today?"

"Weird?" Sam looked around the room, "Who was weird?"

He was met with unanimous feigned denial.

"Y'all suck at planning a secret."

"I told them to keep it from the..." Carol said, eyeing a few people, "...General public, but they insisted on having everyone in on it."

"Were you surprised?" Rocket asked you, noting Carol had looked at him during her statement.

"Yes," you chuckled.

"Great, then mission accomplished!" he looked hard at Danvers.

"We gonna sit around looking at the party, or are we gonna enjoy it?" Thor asked, heading over to the bar.

"I vote enjoy," you said, scurrying like an idiot to join him.

And so the party began. You talked with everyone, played games, danced, ate way too much food, and had some of the most delicious cake. Tony had had it made by some insane bakery, so it was one of those large artsy cakes you wanted to look at rather than eat. It was a huge display, with every hero on it. There was even an edible figure of you. It was still weird seeing you up there with the Avengers, but hey you tasted good so it didn't matter.

"It's not that funny," Loki insisted, though you were laughing pretty hard.

The cake had been cut at the base, leaving the displays and figures. However, you were now biting the heads off of them and placing them back. You were doing it one at a time, waiting in between to make sure you weren't caught and cracking yourself up with every success.

"Hand me Thor," you giggled.

Loki rolled his eyes, but did as he was told, unable to hold the smile as you chomped off the head. You nearly choked on the cake as you put the headless Thor back up.

"I'll admit, that does look better," Loki said, grabbing Sam's to do the same.

"We're genius," you continued nearly inhaling the cake as you laughed.

Tony started walking over, so the two of you hurried away.

"Very funny guys, I spent money on this ya know. This is disrespect at its finest," Tony called out, drawing attention to the improved cake.

"They missed Bucky," Sam whined.

"I got it," Tony pulled it down, eating the arm off and putting it back, "There, that's more accurate."

"Tony!" many gasped as the room started laughing.

Buck looked like he was used to arm related jokes from Sam, just staring ahead in reluctant acceptance.

"No hard feelings, Wolfman, it's a sick arm," Tony patted his Wakandan limb as he passed.

"It's White Wolf," Bucky sighed, walking over to grab the figure of himself and finish the job.

"Why didn't we think to eat the arm???" you whispered to Loki.

"Something about decapitation was too amusing for you."

"Yeah I think I have problems."

"You're just now realizing this?"

"Hey at least we didn't absolutely mangle the Nebula figure, that'd have been too far," you started laughing, "Get it? Cuz she's like 10% organic material?"

"Oh I get it, you're just horrible."

"I learned from the best, don't pretend it isn't funny."

"Can I have your attention please? Yeah, shut up, I'm over here doing the cup tappy thing. Cup tappy thing means zip it," Tony announced from the elevated stage-like area where the DJ was set up. "Um, I'd like to say a few words, not that speeches are ever just a few words."

"Not when you love the sound of your own voice," Pepper gave him a look.

"You can come do this actually, if you'd like," Tony offered the mic to her, "No but seriously...gosh, where do I start?" Tony looked to where you were sitting, and you smiled back. "I guess I could start with how stubborn you are, or how you can get under someone's skin, or how you throw all caution to the wind when you've set your mind to something, or how you fail at listening to orders? It's almost like you've watched a disastrously wreckless band of foolishly brave guys and girls in spandex for ten years."

"Disastrously wreckless genius billionaire playboy philanthropist actually," you corrected.

"Quoting!" he snapped, pointing to you, "How could I forget the quoting? How every situation always has an applicable quote. How you can't help yourself, even if it means getting thrown in the lake."

Loki raised his glass slightly to that.

"Don't forget the pranks!" Rocket called out.

"I thought you liked them?" you challenged.

"That was until my drawers were full of sand yesterday. I know it was you!"

You laughed with everyone else, giving Rocket a "we'll never know" look.

"But in the end..." Tony said, his voice more serious, "I think it was your passion. Your devotion. Your love. Your kindness. Your relentless optimism. Your friendship. These are the things...that I'll miss most. And I think I speak for everyone else on that. Wren, you came voluntarily into a world of pure insanity. Now I know that back in your world, hundreds of fangirls are saying they'd do the same if given the opportunity. But let's be honest, a glowing blue portal opens up in your yard and there's no guarantee it's leading where you want to go? Most aren't even thinking of the MCU as they hightail it out of there. Unless you're as batshit crazy as you.

For once I mean that as a compliment. Yes, it was nuts. Probably even stupid. But your desire to help us, to save some of us...to save my life, and those of my friends... that's all that motivated you. That kept you in a yard with a possible death circle. That carried you through that portal and right to our front yard. And I thank the universe every day that this reality happened to call out to you. Because, who knows what would have happened had it been anyone else.

You've somehow not lost your mind as you dealt with finding out movie characters were real. You dealt with pressures I can only imagine," he said sympathetically, and you felt yourself wanting to cry at the memory of the truth he was speaking. Something only Loki and Thor had heard about was now being spoken in the open. And you smiled softly at the relief. "Pressures I think we sometimes didn't think to ask you about. And if I know you, when stuff went wrong you blamed yourself. Thought you could have done better, could have handled things differently, told more details. Thought you could have had things turn out perfectly. Well, look around you. I'd say this is as damn near perfect as I can imagine.

You're one hell of a brave kid. You put yourself in danger when everyone told you not to, because you insisted some asshat was worth it. And he was. Loki, that's the best compliment you'll get from me, so enjoy it. I could go on forever, but I didn't make flashcards, so I'll end on this. There's no amount of words to express what you've done for us. What you willingly went through, kidnappings and all, in order to fight for us. But more than our savior, you are and always will be a member of this team. A friend. A part of this family. We'll miss you tons, kid. Go kick some ass back home."

Everyone clapped as you brought your crying mushy self up to hug Tony. When you let go, Steve had come to the stage.

"I think that's as good a time as any to bring this up," he said, the room quieting down, "Wren," he looked to you on his right, "I know this is your night, but I thought you'd want this said. And I know you'd want to hear it yourself before you go.

Loki, four years ago, you led an attack. I never thought that I'd one day see you as an ally. I certainly never dreamed that I'd see you as part of our team. But we know now why you did what you did. And, as Wren has made clear to us many times and I know we all understand, we can never justify the things we've done. But that doesn't mean we can't come back from them. It's the hardest thing...but you did it.

Now, we thought it only fair that the world should know. That the man who attacked earth, at the behest of a mad titan, later stood up to him, saving the world he'd once been sent to conquer. Saving it from the very being who'd sent you that day. If there's any indication of a changed man, I'd say that was it. And...the world agrees."

Steve pressed a button, a projection displaying news feeds popping up behind Cap.

"These are recordings from news reports in the last month. With a little help from the press and a certain podcast we all listen very intently to," Steve smiled at Scott as you gave him applause, "The world knew the truth."

You turned to look at the screen, which was switching from one news channel to the next.

Loki, God Sent to Earth Four Years Ago, Saves Planet From Titan.

2012 New York Attacker Saves the Universe.

Thor's Brother Saves Humanity.

Loki: Mischief or More? God Stands up to Leader of 2012 New York Army.

The headlines continued, every one talking of his great sacrifice.

"But..." Loki started, "I still did those things. They shouldn't act like it was all Thanos."

"They're not," Steve said, "But the world knows what you did to make up for it. How you turned on the man who sent you. Like it or not, you saved this entire planet. And there are millions that will never forget that."

He paused the screen on a particular headline.

What Now for God of Mischief? New Avenger?

"With your permission, we'd like to answer that for the world...and officially announce you as part of the team."

Loki's mouth was open as everyone turned to him for his answer.

"This is the part where you say yes, stupid," you whispered loudly, causing chuckles around the room.

"Might as well make it official," Sam called out, "You're as annoying as the rest."

"I..." Loki hesitated, still seeming to wrap his head around it. Finally, he settled on a soft smile, "I'd be honored."

There was more applause as Steve switched to a screen with a headshot of everyone.

"Then welcome to the newest line of recruits," Steve held his hand out to all the extra faces on the screen, "It's time the world knows of the Avengers. The real Avengers. No longer Earth's mightiest heroes, but part of something bigger. We have friends in space, from other worlds. And on that battle day we saw armies come together from across the universe. Ravagers, Nova Corp, Asgardian... we're a united army, no longer a small team. If ever any one group needs support, the others will be there. Today starts an initiative bolder than any attempted before."

"Wow, how long did you rehearse that one," Tony said as he took Steve's position and the cheering subsided, "I at least freestyle mine, which is more impressive than a fancy rehearsed speech."

"If you really want to know, I didn't prepare a speech," Cap defended.

"Ah, I don't want to hear it, we all know you do."

You laughed at the two of them, taking the opportunity to get off the stage. The party eventually returned to how it was before, and you found Loki and gave him a huge hug.

"What's this for?"

"Welcome to the team. Look who was shocked when they heard the official news, even though they joked about being a new Avenger literally in the last weeks."

"Alright, I get what you meant about hearing it said for certain," Loki rolled his eyes.

"Your insufferable arrogance and bravery will fit in nicely I'm sure."

"It's not like I'll be around much," he said, and you gave him a look.

"Whaddya mean?"

"Well, I have two homes same as you. Who knows where I'll end up staying more."

"Loki, Thor can split his time, and so can you. The team needs you and, most importantly, you need them."

"I know but... nevermind. I'll do my best."

He was hiding something, you knew it, but you didn't press.

The night passed on, and eventually you were trudging along home with Peter, Ned, Shuri, Carol and Valkyrie. For whatever reason, you, Peter, Ned, and Shuri were singing Bohemian Rhapsody, giggling as you very poorly belted out the song, all four swaying along or jamming out.

"We should really start a band," you said as you got to your door.

"The Ear Bleeders," Carol said.

"Oh, I like that one," a drunk Brunnhilde agreed.

"Though they've really got a future in the legal system. They just invented a new form of the death penalty," Carol said.

"Oh go play with more infinity stones," you waved at her, perhaps a little intoxicated yourself, "Maybe we'll get lucky and one will kill you instead of give you invincibility."

"Goodnight, Wren," Carol smiled.

"Yeah, night night," you mumbled, stumbling through the door and up the steps to your bed.

***

"Is she asleep?" Thor asked, tiptoeing past Wren's door with Jane, while Loki peered in.

"Out like a light," Loki smiled, pulling the door shut.

Thor looked from his brother to Jane, coming to a decision.

"Jane, why don't you go on ahead, I'll be in in a minute," Thor kissed her forehead.

"Ok," she smiled, knowing he wanted to be alone with Loki.

When she was gone, Loki sighed.

"What do you want?"

"To talk."

"Thank you for stating the obvious," Loki rolled his eyes, holding his door open for Thor to walk through.

He did so, looking grave as he walked to the other side of the room. Loki closed the door, pacing to the middle of the room where he folded his hands behind his back in fake anticipation for what Thor was going to say.

"Loki," Thor started, eyes fixed out the window, "I've spent the last months joking a lot with you. Even when I meant most of it." He turned to his brother, all uncertainty tossed aside as he spoke his next words with determination. "But I'm done with that. You're going to hear what I have to say, no games, no pretenses."

Oddly enough, Loki only looked down for a moment, swallowing hard but not arguing.

"I've watched you become the happiest version of you that I've seen. More than when we were kids. I've been patient, knowing or--or thinking that it would come out one way or another, that you couldn't possibly be this stubborn. Especially when it came to something you loved. I've prodded, I've tried to get you so annoyed that the two of you would grow up and say it already, but I've run out of time. So tell me, brother," Thor said, walking towards him slowly, "How you can let that girl..." he held his hand out to the direction Wren's room would be, "Go without telling her how you truly think of her?"

Loki's hard stare was mixed with emotion as he tossed his hands in a gesture of helplessness.

"Because I have to," he said quietly, "Alright? Yes, I love her. You've heard the truth. I hope you're satisfied," he said bitterly, brushing past his brother as he went to sit on the bed.

Thor waited a moment, pondering Loki's answer, before taking a seat next to him.

"Why?" Thor asked.

Loki continued staring at the fixed point at the base of the wall he'd chosen to burn with his eyes, and for a second Thor thought he wouldn't answer.

"Do you know how hard it is? Having to accept what you've always known? The truth that you were wrong, that everything you did was a mistake? I pushed down every word you, or father, or mother ever spoke of my actions against you and earth, but that's because of course I knew I was this killer. I convinced myself it's what I wanted, that I was simply trying to be a benevolent ruler as was my birthright," Loki scoffed, "But I was hiding from what I knew I was afraid of. Being alone. Wren had seen me confess as much in her world. Do you have any understanding of what it's like to stop running? To have to face what you are?"

"In many ways, yes," Thor nodded, "But not in your way I'm sure."

"Exactly," Loki nodded.

"Then tell me. Stop keeping things. We're brothers, remember? Tell me. What does that have to do with Wren?"

"I know I've changed. Know I was able to hold on when she was gone. Know I have more now than I did before. I'm not trying to say I'd never be good enough for her, though believe me that's a constant battle of it's own. No, what I'm saying is...to find a friend who was willing to stick with me is one miracle. Being able to change was a second one. Having a team willing to give me the chance, no matter how cautious or reluctant? A third impossible miracle. So to hope that after everything, I can expect or hope for that friend to love me? That I could and do truly love her? Come on, Thor. Good things come in threes, but often don't make it far past that. How big of a miracle am I asking for here?"

"But Loki, open your eyes! For all your gloating of cleverness, you've admitted to never being able to see things clearly when they're in regards to yourself. Wren loves you, brother. If she doesn't, then every member of this team is crazy, that's what you're going with? We're all imagining it? Come on, isn't learning how she feels before she goes at least worth the risk of opening up?"

"No, it isn't. Because I may have been blind to many things before, but I'm not so much anymore. Of course I know she could like me. Sometimes I have to fight thinking that's impossible, but I can't ignore what you were all saying. Haven't been able to for a while now. Ever since I started analyzing every stupid detail, which was back when I first admitted to myself that I didn't care that I loved her. That I was going to keep on loving her."

"So you know she likes you!"

"Know she could, and maybe does."

"Then what are you waiting for?"

"I didn't tell her because of how I thought it too good for me, too good to be true. I was scared to muck things up. But now, my fear isn't if she doesn't feel the same...it's if she does."

"Uhhhh, nooot quite seeing how this makes sense," Thor said, smiling apologetically when Loki rolled his eyes.

"She risked her entire life, her future, to come here for us. And losing her for that month? I just...this world it--it's far from safe."

"Loki, any world is far from safe. She could walk out of her house and get struck by lightning."

"Whose fault would that be?"

"Hey, I don't control all weather! And remember there's no Thor in her world. The point is, you can't keep her from danger no matter where she is."

"No, but she'd have a better chance at a normal life there."

"Does she seriously come across as the kind of woman who wants a normal life? Look what she jumped into!"

"Yes, actually, she does. Yes she loves the adventures and magic and all of the characters...but she told me once that she'd realized how all of her heroes just wanted what she had. A normal life. Time to just live and have a family. She did like her life, and that's what she wanted to give to us...what I can't give to her."

"Just because she liked her life, doesn't mean one full of magic or perils is something she'd shun. You two can have a peaceful---" Loki gave him a look, "---Semi-peaceful life together. Come on, brother, you know she loves the action as much as the quiet time. She'd risk a hundred dangers if it meant spending a life where she gets to see us happy. Why can't you be happy with her?"

"Because that's just it!" he hissed, looking to the door like he might wake Wren, "She'll never stop being willing to risk herself for any of us. Back at her world, there's hardly anything to risk her life for!"

"This is why you edged her towards choosing her home," Thor said, understanding dawning in his eyes.

Loki nodded. "It's not like I'm forcing her somewhere she doesn't want to go. She had an unbearably hard choice. How could I make that harder on her? How could I do that? She deserves to live a long life with her family."

"What if telling her made her choice easier? Did you ever think that maybe she'd choose here if she knew you loved her? What if she's not telling you for the same fearful reason you didn't tell her? Because she might make things harder, or screw up what you have? You both are too dumb to realize that if you just confessed, her decision would be easy."

"I used to hope that if I told her, she'd stay. Now, even if she does, I told you I can't do that to her."

"Loki, that's shit and you know it."

"Then tell me Thor!" he said loudly, stopping himself as he glanced at the door worriedly, "Tell me," he continued in a lower voice, "How you let the woman you love know how you feel, knowing that means they'd leave the one place they'd be safe. I won't use her emotions to get her to stay for me, keeping her from a family that loves her. Honestly, I thought you'd understand how I can't be that selfish, despite every selfish instinct I have to hold onto her and refuse to let her go."

"Don't you think that should be Wren's decision. It's not you getting her to stay if she wants it. It's her life, Loki."

"Is it her decision though, if I go on trying to make her guilty by professing my love for her just before she goes home? I'd be doing it just to get her to stay."

"And she'd only make the decision that she wanted to make. How often has she kissed up to you? Sugarcoated things? Has she ever told you a lie to make you feel better?"

"No."

"Then how can you think she'd choose any differently than how she really wants?"

"And what if she regrets that decision later? I tell her how I feel, and she feels the same and stays. But maybe months, years, decades, who knows, but at some time what if she starts missing her family? Regrets her choice, feels guilty for what happened? What if we don't work out, and I've now made her waste her one chance to get back to a normal world? Back to her family? What if I break her heart? And now she's trapped here with that pain? Any day that she regrets her choice will then become my regret. My guilt. For having not forced her back where she was free from any possible danger, any possible pain, whether of my affliction or another's."

"It's still her choice."

"Not if I make it for her. I can't risk losing her, and I can't risk her living a life she'll regret."

"So this is more to spare your fear?"

"Don't try to twist it that---"

"No, Loki, that's what this is. Alright, you're afraid of being the cause of her grief. You're afraid that her choice, the one she might want, won't pan out. That's your fear. But it should be her pain to risk, not yours. You'd be happier if she stayed, and if she feels the same for herself then she gets to make that decision, not you."

"Sometimes love means letting someone go...letting them be better."

"Why are you so certain you can't be the better in this scenario?"

"Because all of my protection in the world couldn't stop her from getting dusted. With the snap of a finger, Thor. That's why. There are no mad titans in her world. I can't protect her here, none of us can. Not for certain, not indefinitely."

"Would you want someone to make that decision for you?"

Loki looked up at him, shaking his head softly. "No."

"So when tomorrow comes, are you going to let her leave without ever knowing if you loved her? Or are you going to do what you should?"

Loki thought for a few seconds, sighing as he shook his head, looking to Thor in submission. "What I should."

Thor beamed, patting Loki on the back.

"See? Was that so hard? If you'd just kissed her anytime in these excruciatingly long months of 'lets pretend we don't like each other' then we'd have our answer already and this wouldn't have been an issue."

Loki chuckled, fiddling his hands as he spoke.

"You know...there was a time I was going to."

Thor gave an exaggerated gasp.

"Why do I tell you these things?" Loki slumped his shoulders, tilting his head to his brother.

"I'm sorry, I'm serious I promise. I'm listening."

"There's nothing else to say. I just...I was close to doing it. Had decided to, actually."

"What stopped you?"

"She did. I think she noticed, got scared. It's difficult to know if she feels the same sometimes, but I can never tell if it's because of my own hesitations to believe it or not. I mean, I'm used to girls making it quite clear that they like me, but something like this?"

"Usually you make it quite clear when you're...'into' a girl," he said, making air quotations. "No one escapes you when you go to make the move," Thor laughed.

Loki gave him a disapproving look but smirked.

"I told you, something like this is different. It's infuriating, impossible to tell something as important as...well, love, I guess, as opposed to a girl fawning over a prince. Or me just...going for some random girl."

"Loki if you've been analyzing every interaction for a while now, I can confirm what you're probably telling yourself you're imagining. She likes you." He leaned in, bumping Loki's shoulder with his own.

"Yes, you've made your opinion quite clear from day one," Loki said, pushing Thor upright and off of himself.

"It's not just an opinion, it's the truth, or so be it I'm not worthy."

"Betting your worthiness on this now?" Loki raised his eyebrows teasingly.

"That's how certain I am."

"Gods I wished she made it clear. I couldn't even go for the kissing tactic. That's when you know it's a difficult egg to crack."

"So you can stubbornly hide your feelings, but she's supposed to just let you know?"

"That would be nice, yes."

Both of them laughed, Loki's face looking less burdened.

"I'll tell her when we're all together before she leaves," Loki promised.

"Yes!" Thor clenched his fists excitedly, "It's about time. You know, now that I know, tell me everything!" Thor said like the nosy sibling, "When did you notice you liked her, what's it like, how're you going to tell her, are you going to marry her---"

"Right, that's when you leave," Loki stood, grabbing Thor by the arm to make him do the same.

"Fine," Thor grumbled, following him to the door, "But I will get these answers from you. Don't think you're off the hook."

"Goodnight," Loki sighed, moving the door closed.

"Night," Thor waved.

Loki stopped the door before it shut.

"Oh and um...thank you. For caring enough to talk to me. It's irritating most of the time, but I know you've always wanted me to be happy."

"And always will," Thor smiled.

Loki smiled back, swinging the door forward again with one last farewell.

***

You'd had a lot to do on your last day. There weren't many films after Endgame that you needed to prevent, but you did warn Tony about Mysterio, should Beck ever try something. You also sat with Wanda for a long while, explaining how powerful she really is.

"Hey hey hey," you'd made her look at you after telling her about Westview. You knew that expression on her face. "I don't want you ever for one second to be afraid of yourself or your powers. You lost control because you were going through heartbreak unlike any anyone here has ever witnessed. No one was there to pull you back. When you found out what you did, you had to let Vis go again, and you did it willingly. Screw what that Darkhold book says about you. You are what you want to be, and you don't need Agatha to tell you that. You proved that. And hopefully Agatha will never be drawn to you. But if she is, know that you're stronger than the frickin sorcerer supreme. Capable of spontaneous creation. I don't trust that end credit scene with the Darkhold though, so maybe stay away from that."

"What if I'm happy with my powers the way they are?" she said thoughtfully, letting her fingers glow as she examined them.

"Then stick to what you know best. But if you ever practice to be more, know that you can do it. And that it isn't something to be afraid of. You have this family. And no matter what happens, they will always be here. If Vision is ever taken, don't lose yourself. Don't go on alone. Because you have so many who love you if you'd just reach out to them. But I know you'll be fine. Cuz you can kick anyone's ass, and you are the farthest thing from a villain. Trust yourself, ok?"

You'd left her seemingly confident in her abilities, or so you hoped, giving her a big hug afterwards.

The day sped by and before you knew it, you were standing on the beach yet again. The amplifier was set up, ready for you. You let it scan you, opening the portal for Bruce to stabilize before going to say goodbyes.

Everyone gathered around, and the moment you'd pushed to the back of your mind had arrived. You knew that thought should have made you cry, but it still seemed surreal. It took only the first goodbye to bring the tears, however, which wouldn't stop throughout all the farewells. That first goodbye was Korg and Miek.

"Hey," you'd started strong, "I uh...I guess this is goodbye."

"You ever gonna visit?" Korg asked hopefully, and that's where the tears had started.

You shook your head, briefly unable to speak as you tried holding back the tears.

"No," you said, giving up trying, "I wish I could."

"Oh," Korg and Miek looked sadly at one another, "I'm gonna miss you, man. But hey, what are goodbyes but tests of friendship? We'll always be friends, right?"

"There's no universe I could go, where that wouldn't be true," you said, giving the two of them a hug, "Keep on being you, ok guys? Never change."

"No changing happening here, Wren. All rocks," he tapped his arm, "And always will be. I think?"

You laughed, moving to the Guardians.

"I'll miss our dance parties," you hugged Quill.

"You can still do it, solo parties are the best," he tried cheering you.

"He's speaking from sad life experience," Rocket said.

"Keep bothering him will you?" you smiled to Rocket, nudging your head at Quill.

"Girl, I didn't need to hear it from you. I got this."

"I know you ain't a big hugger, so fist bump?" you held out your fist.

"Ah, what the hell," Rocket muttered, holding open his arms as he walked in for a hug.

"Keep watching over them," you smiled to Gamora.

"Unfortunately, I think that's my life."

"I could think of worse."

"Yeah," she smirked, looking at her group, "So could I."

"I know we don't know each other well," you said to Nebula, "But I still think you're awesome in the movies. And you have so much potential, the chance at a life with a family. Take it."

She nodded back.

"Oh, and uh..." you glanced to Rocket, "It was fun filling Rocket's drawers with sand."

"You were in on it???" Rocket exclaimed to Nebula.

That had managed to get a smirk out of her.

"It was fun," she agreed.

Next was Groot, who you knelt down in front of.

"So long, kiddo. Now, you behave for your dad, you hear? Just not too much."

"I can hear you," Rocket complained.

"I am Groot."

"He says if he could have any babysitter, he wishes it could always be you," Rocket said.

"I am Groot."

"And that he'll miss you."

Groot had a little tear at the corner of his eye that snuck out, and you pulled him in for the hug.

"I'll miss you too. Have a great life, Groot."

Standing to face Drax and Mantis, you tried wiping some of the tears off your face.

"The two of you better visit to play video games with Korg and Miek."

"I will always beat the rock man and insect," Drax promised.

"But we don't throw the controllers," Mantis said what you'd had to repeat to Drax on many accounts.

"Exactly," you smiled, hugging both of them.

"I know we didn't see a lot of each other, but you're actually pretty cool, Danvers," you smiled at her.

"Not so bad yourself," she said, shaking your hand.

"Take care of yourself," you said.

"Same to you."

"Ok, Happy, I swear I know I messed with you a lot, but," you started saying to him, but he held his hand up.

"To be honest... we'll miss seeing you around," he said.

"Yes, we will," May said, hugging you, "You make sure you stay safe, and stay the way you are. Never stop helping people."

"I will. Thank you for always being so kind to me."

"I can't believe we can't figure something out," Peter said, his eyes growing red.

"Hey, we had fun while we had the time. Hell, I got to meet Peter Parker! And his best friend," you said in response to Ned's face, "Come on, you know you're iconic too," you said, throwing an arm around each of their necks as you gave a three-person hug. "I'll miss you guys," you sniffled.

"We'll miss you too," Ned said, pulling back to reveal misty eyes, "You were the coolest thing to ever happen to us."

"But that's not why we'll miss you!" Peter said.

"No! No no no, that's not why. We'll miss you for you, I swear!" Ned spat out.

"I know," you laughed. "No matter what happens, stick together you two. You and...any other friends you have," you smiled, thinking of MJ.

"Bye, Wren," Peter said, wiping a tear as you moved on.

"Do I have permission from the protective duo to jump through a portal?" you teased Sam and Buck.

"Why? Looking for a reason to stay?" Buck smiled.

"Hell no, I'm almost rid of you," Sam said, "You're going."

"Thanks for so easily being like family to me," you told both of them, "Somehow, it felt like you were...well, like my brothers."

"And you certainly played the roll of the shithead little sister," Sam joked, looking sad as he did.

"I can't believe the last thing you'll see is me crying over you," you chuckled through your tears as you hugged him and then Bucky.

"Well Sam's not holding up too well either, so..." Bucky shrugged.

"It's the sand, some blew in my eye," Sam said.

"Bye guys," you said, both nodding as you stepped to the next person.

"Wish we'd gotten one last frozen yogurt trip," Rhodey sighed.

"Desserts in this place aren't bad."

"They're not Jenny's though."

"No, nothing quite comes close to Jenny's."

"Look after yourself," Rhodey said when the silent pause led into the goodbye.

"You too," you hugged him, "And thank you for always being there for me. You have no idea how much it meant."

"I'd do it again. Anytime."

"You're a badass, and that's about all I need to say," you said to Okoye.

"I try," she smirked, "Though you did well with the spear," she said, moving her hand from behind her back. You thought it was just her stance, but she was actually concealing the weapon.

"No way...really?" you asked, taking it from her.

"You earned it," she bowed her head.

"We know you will use it wisely," T'Challa said.

"Thank you," you smiled, "And thanks for believing me way back when. For helping us."

"It was you that helped us," he said, putting a hand on your shoulder, "Always continue to speak the truth, even if others are unwilling to hear it."

"Brother, she didn't come to us for fortune cookies," Shuri knocked his arm off of you, "She came to say goodbye," she finished as she hugged you. "I'm going to miss our little group."

"The young Avengers gotta stick together."

"I'll miss you, Wren."

"I'll miss you too, Shuri."

"Let's not keep this long, it only prolongs the tears," Brunnhilde said, pulling you in for a hug, "See you around, Wren."

"I wish."

"Eh, you never know. The universe is a strange place."

"Let's hope so."

"Don't go getting boring."

"Don't go getting soft."

Yelena was next, and you let the sobs flow as you hugged her.

"Oh my God, I told myself I wouldn't cry, now look what you did," she sniffed, wiping her eyes.

"I'm just so loveable."

"You really are, I mean so fun. Who could Loki and I replace you with for our midnight snacks? No one, that's who. You've left us shorthanded and made me cry, you're the worst."

"You were absolutely fantastic, Yelena. Better than I could have hoped."

"I get that a lot," she shrugged with a tearful smirk.

"Don't go giving her a bigger head," Nat said, hugging you next.

"It's my job. Raise you up, so I don't feel bad insulting you."

"We've taught you too well."

"You did. Your training kept me alive," you cried.

"Eh, Loki helped," she admitted reluctantly.

"Don't let him know that."

"Goodbye, Wren," she smiled, keeping a brave face on as she always does.

"I don't even know what to say to Natasha Romanoff for the last time," you tossed your hands in the air, "uh...thank you. For everything, Nat. I can't even list what I'll miss about you. You never imagine how characters will be in normal life, and having you, Yelena, Val, and Wanda as...well practically sisters? Better than I could have dreamed. If you and Bruce don't get married soon, I'll jump universes again and wed you myself."

"Oookay," Bruce chuckled, "Let's uh, let's leave the marriage talk for later."

"What will you do when I'm not here to force you into awkward situations?" you chuckled, hugging him.

"Cuz of you we have Yelena here now, so uh thanks for that."

"I'm picking up on some sarcasm," Yelena motioned like the vibes were invading her space.

"I'm so happy for you, Bruce. Seeing you where you are now just...it's all I wanted."

"And wouldn't be possible without you," he said kindly, hands still resting on your shoulder from after the hug.

"I'll miss barging in the labs and nearly scaring you into hulking."

"I won't," he laughed, "But our hot chocolate nights in the kitchen were good times."

"Until you started officially dating Nat, then you were doing something else late at---"

"Ok, move on," Nat pushed you along, smiling with Bruce.

Wanda and Vision were next, both giving you a hug as words were hard to form.

"I think this," you gestured to the two of them, "Is one of the greatest joys of having been here. When I think of what was supposed to happen," you stopped, taking a few shakey tearful breaths, "It's insane. But I think I'm crying more tears of joy right now," you laughed, pointing to your mess of a face, "Cuz I can't believe I got to see the alternate ending both of you deserved. I love you guys."

"We love you too," Wanda said, lip trembling a bit as she took a deep breath to control her watering eyes, "I'll miss one of my sisters," she hugged you again.

"Keep being the best couple," you whispered, looking down to Tony to see if he heard, "Cuz you are."

"Oh I don't think that was ever in question," Vis smiled, "Goodbye, Wren."

"See ya, Vis. Enjoy the next few seasons of the Walking Dead. People say it gets slow around 7 and 8, but if you wait til all the episodes are out and binge it through, I think it's fine."

"I'll remember that."

"Of course, you're incapable of forgetting."

Steve and Peggy were waiting for you next, with Steve smiling at your tears before wrapping his arms around you.

"Remember what you said to me...about how the one outshines everything else? How that person almost makes our decision for us?" he whispered, pulling back to give you a knowing look.

"No," you smiled sadly, answering his unspoken question, "I can't. Your situation was different, your...person was different. I wish I could explain."

"You don't have to. Whatever you choose, it's your choice. As long as you're doing what makes you happy, I'm happy for you."

"And I know we haven't known each other long, but what I've spent with you in this short time has proven all I'd heard," Peggy said, "You're a fighter. And you're not a fool. Do what you think is right. That's the measure of a hero," she said, looking fondly at Steve.

"I'm so sorry I didn't get to know you, Peggy. I guess I couldn't become friends with all the MCU characters. Time just wouldn't let that happen."

"Well," she said, giving you a light hug, "I'd consider anyone who helped save this world and reunite us as a friend. Thank you."

You smiled, before turning your attention back to Steve.

"Why do I keep finding myself unable to think of things to say? How do I think of last words for Captain America?"

"How about for a friend?"

"Yeah," you nodded, tears coming heavier, "I can do that. I love ya Cap, you frozen fossil."

"I love you too," he said, "And I'm glad I got to know you. Place won't feel the same without you."

"I'm sure you'll manage."

"We always find a way."

"Goo..." you choked up a bit, "Goodbye, Steve."

"Goodbye, Wren."

"I'll miss America's Ass," you said over your shoulder as you walked on to Clint and his family.

"I'll miss you too, guys," you said in response to Lila and Cooper's goodbyes, "Take care of your old man, and look out for your ma. Think you can do that for me?"

They both nodded.

"Good," you smiled, turning to make your baby noises and tickle the little stomach of Nathan, who was in Laura's arms. "You're gonna grow up to be just as annoying as your daddy, aren't you? Yes you are! You're gonna be so big, littlest Hawkeye, yes you are," you said in your "talking to babies" voice.

"We'll miss seeing you with the group," Laura said, as she put her available arm around you, "Thank you for being so great with the kids."

"Thank you for letting me help you with them on Christmas. I didn't think I'd get as lucky as I've been. But getting to know your family has been amazing. Even if it hasn't been long."

"Feels longer though, doesn't it?" Clint asked, standing at the end of his family.

"Yeah, it does."

He nodded, trying to act normal. The tightening in his jaw and lips told you he was getting emotional and trying to fight it.

"Um," he started, clearing his throat, "Don't go poking your eye out with that," he pointed to the spear.

"I think I saved your life a couple of times with it, so I'm pretty sure I know how to use it."

"Yeah, well, you're you."

You chuckled, falling silent as you didn't know what to say next.

"You're a real pain in my ass, you know that?" Clint said, hugging you before you could answer.

"Yeah...I know. But you'll have Yelena."

"She doesn't do it quite as well," he laughed as he let go.

"Eh, give her time. Some more practice and she'll be driving you up a wall."

"Nah we're already there."

"Thought so. Let her babysit, ok? She'll be a good aunt."

"Don't worry, we will," Laura tapped Barton's arm, whose face said otherwise.

"Bye, Clint. And thanks. From the day you jumped into the bifrost, you've always watched out for me."

"Paternal instinct, what can I say?" he smirked as you moved on.

"Hey," you smiled to Hope, "It's been nice getting to know you. Keep a tight leash on that man, will you?" you smirked to Scott.

"Oh yeah, he's not allowed to do much without us watching him," she assured you.

"What? That's kinda harsh, don't ya think? And super breach of privacy," Scott said, "Though I am supposed to take the suit without your permission, but that's not gonna happen anymore. And just cuz future me was gonna do it...or past me now, right? Anyway, just cuz I was supposed to do it, doesn't mean I would ever do it. You know?"

You and Hope just stared at him.

"Ok that didn't make sense," he admitted.

"Oh I'll miss you so much," you laughed, hugging him.

"Me too. Miss you, I mean, not me. That wouldn't make any sense. Sorry you could never meet Cassie. She would have thought your knowledge was so creepy, she'd have loved you."

"Don't get yourself in any trouble, ok? Or do, whatever's more fun," you said, starting your step away.

"Me?" he asked, shaking his head in mock impossibility, "Never."

Strange and Wong were next. You bowed to Wong when you said bye to him, just to annoy Strange.

"Realize how I didn't have people bow to me when I was Sorcerer Supreme?" he asked.

"Cuz no one wanted to, not cuz you didn't make them."

"Out of all of the beings who could have been sent to this world, and we get stuck with the spunky snarky kid."

"I don't know, I think we got along more than any of us thought we would these past three weeks. I mean, I've always liked you, but ya know...rough start with each other, and circumstances after that weren't always the most pleasant, soooo..."

"You're not so bad, kid. I...I may even miss having you around. Though you won't be leading any band of children to go through my things anymore, so there's a bright side in everything," he smiled cheerfully.

"Who said Peter and Ned are done bothering you? You all live in New York, don't forget that."

Stephen let out a long breath. "Concealing spells might have to be put in place."

"Sounds like a decision for the sorcerer supreme."

Strange gave you his iconic look of disapproval.

"Please, you like Peter anyway. Don't pretend having kids think you're cool isn't something you like. Maybe what you need are some friends that aren't Wong? I don't know what's up with Christine or where she went. I don't know what your future holds cuz I haven't seen you in a film since Endgame. But maybe stop being a loner? You don't always have to be the only one in your life."

He looked sadly grim by what you were saying, and you figured you'd struck a chord.

"Just saying," you shrugged with a smile, "Crossing personal boundaries is something I apparently do. But I just want you to be happy, Stephen. Like everyone else."

He smiled, looking down briefly before meeting your eyes.

"Thank you."

"Now I know we don't know each other as well, but I'm gonna give you a hug cuz you need one as much as I do."

He rolled his eyes, but held his arms out. His cloak wrapped around for the hug too.

"See ya, Cloaky," you smiled when he waved, "And bye, Strange."

"So long, kid."

"Took you long enough to get down here," Tony said, hands in his pockets like nothing was happening. The way his eyes were trying to look everywhere but at you told you he was trying to keep it reined in too.

"Have fun dealing with him, Pep," you said as you embraced her.

"Never a dull moment," she chuckled.

"I wish I'd have stayed longer for the wedding, but...well, uh congrats I guess. It'll be beautiful, I know."

"And possible, because you saved his life," she put a hand lovingly on your cheek, "Thank you."

When Tony was up for the hug, he was still trying to stand like this wasn't a goodbye.

"Betcha never thought we'd get here, huh? Going home," he said.

"Bet you didn't."

"No I knew you would make it. Did I want to see you go though?" he raised his eyebrows, trying to shrug like his carefree self, but his eyes were starting to glisten.

"God, I'll miss you Tony," you threw yourself into him, "You were and are a legend. And before I go, I'm sorry for any and everything I ever did. Because you were the best. If I could do it over, I'd have told you about Buck sooner---"

"Hey hey, no, none of that," he pulled back, putting a hand behind your head to make you look at him, "That was so long ago, and I shouldn't have taken it out on you. Ok? You're fine. Don't go home thinking about what coulda been. Best to shove the broken toy under the bed and pretend it didn't happen. Move on. I owe you everything. Ok? You hear me?"

You nodded, crying harder as he hugged you again.

"I'm gonna miss you, Smiley. God," he sighed, taking a deep breath as he blinked back tears.

"So long, Iron Man. Pep, you're gonna hate me for saying this, but keep kicking ass, Tony."

"Getting him to stop has been one of the few failures of my life," she said, "I've accepted it."

"Wait, Tony can Friday hear me through that?" you pointed to his wristband.

He rolled his eyes with a smirk, tapping his wrist and holding it out.

"Friday?" you tested.

"Yes, Wren."

"I feel like it's been a while...ya know, without the compound."

"It has."

"How've you been?"

Tony gave you a look like it was the stupidest thing to ask a bodiless AI.

"Not bad for only having the boss as company now."

Tony tilted his head to the wristband.

"I can't imagine what that's like. You, my friend, are a saint."

"I try my best."

"I'll miss you, Friday," you giggled, "You were the best partner in crime a girl could ask for."

"I'll miss talking to you, Wren. You brought a certain mischievous element to the compound."

"I did Loki's job for him??? Yes!"

"Alright, that's enough," Tony pushed you along, "Look how much you've corrupted my girl?"

"Bye Friday!" you called back.

"Farewell Wren!"

"Down here already?" Thor looked around the group, as if he'd wished it had taken longer.

"I don't like it either."

"Yeah, well... that's life, right?" he tried saying good naturedly, "Nothing permanent about life. The only thing permanent, is impermanence."

"Well said," you giggled.

He tried to smile, but the sadness was now consuming his expression.

"Come here, big guy," you whispered through a sob, hugging him tightly. He squeezed back, as if holding firmly meant you couldn't go.

"If you go, I'll always miss you, Wren. I hate this, goodbyes, ugh," he said humorously, wiping his eyes of the tears that were showing now.

"If?"

"If? Did I say if? No, I meant when. Sorry, ya know just blah," he pointed to his head, making a silly face, "Can't think straight with the tears and all."

"God, I'll miss you so much," you said, laughing at how stupid he was, "Feels like you're just...you're such a part of my life, ya know? You really are the most amazing person, Thor. No one is as worthy, and no on makes me laugh harder. I love you, buddy. And I'll miss you," you broke down again, hugging him once more.

"I love you too," he sniffled through his tears, "Please, have a good life, alright? Something you'd tell me all about if you could?"

"I'll try."

"Good," he smiled, patting you on the shoulder as he turned you to Jane.

"Take good care of him," you said, hugging her, "He needs you."

"The need is mutual," she gave him a smile, "I'll keep him in line."

"You made him worthy...always remember that," you whispered.

She smiled as you stepped to Heimdall and Odin.

"I don't think there's enough I can do to thank you for the number of times you've helped me out," you said, "And I'm sorry, you're gonna need to brace yourself for another hug."

Heimdall laughed as he indulged you.

"Take care, Wren. And if I could see across the multiverse, I'd help your plea wherever you were."

"So...you've seen your mission through, have you?" Odin asked, that small smile indicating he was about to contradict whatever you said.

"Yeah... though I get the feeling you're about to tell me I haven't."

"I was going to do no such thing, my dear. This chapter of your life is over. But where you go from here...your next purpose... that is an entirely new adventure. I hope you choose wisely in your life, Wren Arlington."

Though you assumed there was more to his words that you'd never understand, and were never meant to, you nodded.

"Goodbye, Allfather. It was a complete gift to get to meet you."

"The gift," he said, taking your hand warmly, "Was all ours. Thank you for what you've done. I wish you nothing but the best."

He kissed your hand before letting you walk to the last person in line.

"Thanks for coming down, Ceyla," you hugged her.

"You think I would miss it?" she said, using a handkerchief to wipe the tears. "I just wish you didn't have to go. You helped me so much, Wren. Truly. I'm honored to have been assigned to you."

"One of the first good things Loki did for me, and he didn't even do it on purpose."

"Loki? It was the Allfather who assigned me to you, remember?"

"Oh, right," you said, forgetting she didn't know of Loki's disguise, "It's so long ago, I'm forgetting."

"Well, let's hope you don't forget what I taught you?"

"With a teacher like you? Nah, those hair styles are burned in my brain. I could do them in my sleep."

"Good," she smiled, hugging you once more. "Goodbye, Wren. I'll miss you."

"Thank you for being my absolute savior on Asgard. I would never have made it through without you. I'll miss you, Ceyla."

You gave her one last smile as you turned to go to Loki, who stood fifteen feet or so in front of the whole group, waiting by the portal with your bags. On your way over, you remembered Fury.

"Wait, where's eyepatch?" you asked.

"Standing dramatically over there," Tony said, nodding to the walkway.

"Because that's such a Fury thing to do," you called over to him, "I won't even get mad you didn't come crying to me with a goodbye."

He smirked as you waved your hand high in the air to him, returning it with a nod.

You stopped about two feet in front of Loki, facing a way where you could look between the team and him while you spoke.

"I... I--I don't..." you closed your eyes, taking a few slow breaths to calm yourself. Wiping your face and sniffing back your emotions, you tried again. You wanted to say this clearly, with as minimal tears as possible. No tears was an impossibility, but limiting them was doable. "I don't know what I could ever say to all of you to make you understand what you mean to me. If I was told, nearly ten months ago, that I had the opportunity to say something to the Avengers...what would it be? What would I do with that time? I think thank you is the only thing I can think of.

In my world, we thank Stan Lee, the author of Marvel comics. We thank Kevin Feige, the president of the MCU. We thank the actors and directors that brought your stories to life. But now...knowing that those characters are real elsewhere? That those stories are only fiction in our world? I'd be an idiot to not thank you guys over any of those in my world.

And I do...thank you, that is. Thank you so much. For being the inspiration. I've always loved movies, maybe a little too much. But the thing about that is...people say movies are an escape. And that's true, some of the time. Maybe even a lot of the time. I know when things get hard, I turn to Marvel or Star Wars or anything. Get it on, get myself distracted. Feel comforted by these stories that, no matter how much life changes around us, will always stay the same. Will always be there.

But to say it's nothing but an escape, a comfort, when the world's we're watching often have troubles worse than our own? I mean, who goes to watch characters die as a source of comfort? I think people miss a big aspect of what makes stories like you so amazing...it's cuz you're relatable. Sometimes it can be a comfort to watch someone else go through pain, and not in a sick way. But in a sense that you can release your own emotions through them. Cry when you need a cry. Laugh when you need a laugh. And yeah, watching you guys die on screen sucked...but I still rewatched it a million times.

Because what you stood for never left. Watching you make sacrifices teaches us to make sacrifices for what we care about. Made us realize that our own lives, and what we have, are precious and we should cling to them and never take them for granted. And if someone is going through loss like you guys are? Well, then they can learn how to cope. Feel hope that things will get better, by seeing you guys give up things you love while never letting it keep you down. And even if it does, because I don't know what the rest of your stories are in the future movies of my world, sometimes a character that never gets a win can still give us something. Maybe teach us to sympathize more? Recognize what that's like for others? Appreciate that maybe we're not that unfortunate.

Things in your stories may go to shit. Or would have. But we watch because we know you will fight to make it through. Know there are lessons to be learned. We want to be with you every step of the way.

In short...you were always more than stories to me. Even before you literally were more than stories. I may not be someone whose life was hell. Who wanted to get away. That doesn't change how you..." you started crying more, taking a second to wipe the tears and clear your voice, "...How you changed me. How you guided me through whatever hard times I faced. I had you, always. And I don't know where I would be, how different I would be, if I didn't have what you've given me.

I love you guys. Always did. But having the remarkable honor of meeting you? It's more than I could ever have asked of life. And I didn't know it was possible for this universe and it's characters to help me any more than they already had. But then you were real. And I witnessed who you were. I learned things I never knew. Know more flaws and irritations than I did before. But that's only made you all the more important to me. I didn't think it was possible for people to be as amazing as they seem. They say never meet your heroes. But I'm damn glad I met mine.

So know how much you've done for me. Even before you met me, and certainly every moment since. I've had to learn so much since being here...and I can never repay you for the ways you keep on saving who I am. Making me better.

I know it's ridiculous to think of a big happy family all squeezed in the same compound. You all have lives," you smiled, "Have families to start, if some of those currently present would get a move on already."

"Why'd you look at us?" Tony folded his arms.

You laughed but ignored the question.

"Promise me something? That you guys will stick together, even when you're off on your own journeys. Nice big old Avengers reunions once in a while would be nice. Maybe hard for the space or cross-world commute, but those who are closer better damn well meet up at least once a month."

"Ehhh, every three months?" Tony offered.

"Whatever. Just...promise me you'll look out for each other? Never forget one another. I know I will never forget you. And not just cuz I have your movies and know the characters. I mean you. The people I've gotten to know. The life I got to have with you. Cherish each other as I cherish you? Because the MCU has taught me how important family is. How they can always come back to you. But how they can also be taken. Don't waste out on the time you have with each other."

Everyone kind of silently took what you said, some nodding, others still crying.

"I guess...I guess that's it," you smiled, facing  Loki for the last and hardest goodbye.

"Ooooooh boy," you breathed, making yourself chuckle as you tossed the spear with your bags and nervously shook your hands out like you warming up for something, "If you can't understand a word I'm saying cuz I'm crying too much...I don't wanna hear it."

"Darling," Loki said, his eyes already wet from the tears he'd been keeping back, "I don't think I can put into words what I have to say. There's not enough time in the universe to explain what you've done for me and what I think of you. Not a long enough goodbye for what I'd want to say for the last time."

"Tell me about it. I just did a frickin speech and still feel like I didn't say everything I'd want to say."

Surprisingly, the sobs weren't happening. Your head was tired from the crying, your eyes puffy and red. Your face, tearstained. But now were only soft tears, as if you knew you couldn't have your last moments with him be drowned by sadness. Either that or you were almost out of tears.

"Then let's keep it short," he stepped forward, his hand grabbing yours at your side, "Here," he said, slipping an envelope in your grasp with his other hand, "For when you get home."

"Cheater, I didn't write down a goodbye."

"It's more than that. You'll see."

"Loki..." you whispered, squeezing your eyes as the tears trickled out, "I won't try to say all that needs to be said. Just know you mean more to me...than anything. You're my best friend. And I'm so proud of you....So proud."

He embraced you as you finished, the two of you crying in each other's arms. When you pulled apart, there was that silent understanding. You sniffed as you nodded.

"It'll be ok," Loki said, wiping a tear off your face.

"Make me a promise?" you said, your hands still on his arms.

"Of course."

"Do what you did when I was gone before. Don't hide yourself away. Never go back to being alone. Cuz you're not. And you never will be. Promise me."

"I promise," he smiled, stepping back to let you go to the portal.

You didn't say goodbye, as if those words, though said many times already, had more finality now. He gave you an encouraging smile as you walked to face the portal. Your bags were lined up on the ground, but you hesitated to grab them. It was going to take strength to jump through that familiar blue light.

Loki looked to Thor, who had a worried expression on and had stepped slightly forward.

"Wren," Loki stopped you, and you turned around where you stood. He walked up to you, pausing within an inch.

"Wh---?" you began to question, but he cut you off, wrapping his hands around your waist and meeting your lips with his.

Your mind exploded, as did the fluttering in your stomach, and you couldn't even think of what to think. So many times you had been unable to not think of what it would be like if he'd ever kissed you. Somehow, every imagination paled in comparison.

Your hands reached around his neck, as you returned the kiss. All thoughts of this being Loki, the fictional man, the character you'd grown up with, were out the window. All that was left was the man you loved. The kiss slowed into one last exchange, before he pulled back slightly, forehead resting against yours.

"Yeeeeeah!" you heard Sam cheer, a few others whistling like idiots while someone, probably Wanda, shushed them.

"I love you," he whispered breathlessly.

"I love you too."

"And I'm sorry," he said, placing a hand on your cheek, "I'm so sorry."

Before you could ask what he meant, the green glow from down near your waist warned you too late. The blast from his hands shot you back. You instinctively shouted his name as you were consumed by the thrumming energy.

***

Her things were lifted by his magic, following Wren through the portal before it closed. Everyone was stunned into silence.

"Wha---what...what did you do?" Thor said, completely shocked.

"What I should have," Loki answered, eyes still on the empty circle, "I kept her safe."

With that, he walked slowly off the beach.

The End.

Notes: I'M JOKING!!!! ITS NOT THE END. STOP FREAKING OUT IT'S FINE, YOU'RE OK, EVERYTHING'S OK.
Sorry again for how late this was. Also, if I missed anyone in the goodbyes, let me know. There were so many I was trying to keep track of, but I had to keep going back and adding people as I remembered them. So if something doesn't transition well during the goodbyes, that's probably because I kept editing parts into it and didn't fix the transitions.
Also, I think Amy was one of the names I had Wren write her note too before she left her world, so I just put that as her sister. Picture it as any sibling, cousin, friend or relative you want if that's better for you, but I just picked sister. I hope we all have someone, if not a sibling, that we can insert for her, but making Wren an only child was too much of a cheat I think. Now she has a sister to go back to also, which probably helped make the decision hard. I personally have eight siblings, so maybe y'all can guess why I'm making Wren care so much about not just abandoning her family. I would be torn if it was my family over like a true love or something. So I didn't want her to just be like "yeah I love everyone here and Loki, so goodbye fam." I think what is interesting too is that even if Loki hadn't done what he did after kissing her, she still had a choice to make. Give up family for Loki or Loki for family? Cuz again I don't think, if you're someone with people you love in this world, that it would be an easy decision.
Anyway, hope y'all are doing well!

Oh, and the title of this chapter I just kinda wanted to use😁 Love is a Dagger kinda didn't make sense based on how Loki explained that analogy, so I unfortunately couldn't use that. But Love is Mischief, another fun one, made at least a little more sense. Cuz like, Loki pulled that whole Loki move on her in the end, but cuz he loved her? I know, a bit of a stretch. But hey it's something Wren would probably say about the scenario anyway, so what the heck let's go with it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

438K 14.2K 41
LokiXReader Fanfic. Bit of a Slow burner, compared to some I have read ❤️. When Y/N is caught up in an avengers mission concerning Hydra, she is no l...
3K 307 50
Full title: Of Life And Hope (Marvel X OCish Fem! Reader) --- Your life had never been easy as you were shuffled around different orphanages while yo...
1.3K 75 10
After a long seven years of being apart from her sister, Y/n Romanoff manages to just barley escape HYDRA while on a mission. She goes to the Avenger...
Unspoken By Marie

Fanfiction

37K 1.2K 45
When new intel comes through about a Hydra weapon, the avengers split into two teams, one checking out a new base, while the other scours an old one...