Came Because of Our Song ✔️

By Werly_Prelude

It's been almost an year now, since Wei Ying and Lan Zhan parted at the hill just outside the territories of... More

Start of a Choas
I Can't Help But Wish
The Trip to Trouble 1
The Anonymous Sender
Time For A Visit
Mr. I Don't Know Anything but Everything
Important Character Info
Follow Me in The Shadow
The First Day of Cultivation Conference
Another Gift
I Need Your Help
The Archery Competition-I
The Archery Competition-II
My Beauty My Curse
Encounter
Close Your Eyes
So Close Yet So Far~I
Didi, Wait for Me
Angel From the Moon
Protective Brother
A Hole In My Heart
It's About Time
You Are an Idiot
It is Decided
No Gift ?
It's My Turn
Trip to Trouble ~II
Leave Them
Some Warnings: Do Not Skip
The Trap : Reality
I Am Here
Lotus Pier - I
Banked Rage: Control
Banked Rage: Lost
Back To Cloud Recesses -I
Back To Cloud Recesses ~II
Banked Rage: Explosion
Calm The Storm
Reminiscent Past, Suppressant Fast
I Know
Changing Weather- I
Awakening Rage, Darkening Haze
Brewing the Storm
Amiss
Never Alone
The Game Is On ~1
Not Again, Never Again
Whole Again
Big Reveal and Plotting
Let My Mind Bleed
The Game Is On~ 2
Closer to The Truth
Can't Believe I Am Late ~1
Can't Believe I Am Late-2
Beware of the Yiling Patriarch~1
Understanding: With&Without You
Heart To Heart
Lan Zhan Says Yes!
Epilogue + Thanks

WuJi For Me, WangXian For You

2.1K 108 68
By Werly_Prelude

Their entry into Yunmeng is full of blast. All the streets are full of joyous children throwing red paper or flowers on the sedan, laughing and running all around while the elderly shower flowers from the roof of each building.

Gongs, pipas, souna, dizi and drums ring loud with each step they take.
Wei Wuxian smiles, waving at the children and some people as they threw red paper and flowers on them. Fireworks went off everywhere, welcoming the new arrival. The entourage took a tour of the place- letting people see the sedan and greet the Lans.

Lan Wangji couldn't believe he had not passed out from all the noise. He had always known weddings to be full of sounds- something he had hated from the start. His own wedding is overflowing with it. But the barest glimpses of small feet and the joy of people which radiates in every action and smile keeps him from recoiling from it all. Somehow he finds himself smiling, his heart going rampant at the thought that this is for him and Wei Ying. The people are happy for them.

As soon as the Wei Ying and their retinue had reached Lotus Pier disciples and servants alike had hurried to get him to his waiting room where his servants fussed over him for a while before leaving him in peace. He waited, knowing tangjie would arrive only a few hour into the evening and it was noon right now. At least the entrance had been okay.

In absence of any immediate female family member (or any immediate family) related to the main Jiangs or Weis, it had been Jiang Wanyin and an old Jiang elder who welcomed him, helping him step over the saddle.
Wei Ying had been there and that was the last Lan Wangji felt his presence before he was ushered to freshen up and have some rest before the ceremony. Soon Lan Zhanshi arrived and helped him with his hair and few wrinkles in his robes before an attendant came to tell them it was time.

"Nervous?"
"Mn"
"Then think of your Wei Ying. I am happy for you didi. Shijie wishes you a happy and prosperous marriage."

*************

They make their way together towards the yard where a platform has been made for the occasion. Lan Xichen takes Lan Zhanshi's place near the entry and the woman nods the brothers once before going to join the others.

Red, in every form sits on each surface; a vibrant shade against the usual soft purple and lavender. Lan Wangji had never known, never hoped. But seeing Wei Ying, their families, all standing there, waiting; this feels real. His zhiji is standing proud, in his true form, those same silver eyes and sharp jaw and smiling lips.

They had discussed about it, about Wei Ying's secret. Wei Ying was unsure whether he should keep his new/old (?) body a secret.

'I don't know Lan Zhan, but maybe it would give Grandmaster Lan a stroke. I bet the whole Cloud Recesses would draw their swords on me if I came there looking like my original self, to take you.' Wei Ying gasped dramatically, imitating a Lan.

'Oh no! That's the Yiling Patriarch! Quick, everyone! Don't let him escape! He is here to whisk away poor Hanguang-Jun!'

'I will go willingly'

A wheeze and then Wei Ying bemoaned his misery, telling his zhiji to be kind to his poor heart.

'Lan Zhan! Xingan, warn me before you say something like that! My poor heart cannot take it!'

'Wei Ying is strongest, he will survive.'
And what could Wei Ying do, except kiss his zhiji for that?

Their family are standing on either side of the platform; Lan Zhanshi and Lan Qiren with Sizhui on one side and Jiang Wanyin and Jin Ling on the other side. This is all they have for family now, the ones still here to see and bless them for a life together under the eyes of the heaven. Jin Ling looks suspiciously red, like he had been crying for sometime. Even Jiang Cheng, Wei Wuxian swore he saw his brother sniffling. He had seen Sizhui smiling wetly but had resolutely not looked in the direction of the old man Lan. He thinks he would shudder if he did.

Watching his zhiji making his way towards him is a dream come true. Never in his two lives did he think he would get to have this and yet, by some miracle of fate and destiny, they are here. Wei Wuxian standing on the platform in front of the plaques of his parents while Lan Xichen guides his brother towards him, towards his husband to-be.

At the foot of the platform Wei Ying takes Lan Zhan's hand, smiling at Lan Xichen's nod.

"Wei gonzi, take care of my brother."
"I plan to, Zewu-Jun."

They both ignore the pointed mn directed there way.
And then, it's time. Wei Wuxian helps Lan Wangji kneel, mindful of his still healing joints. The plaques read Wei Changze and Cangse Sanren. Wei Wuxian had a long argument with his brother as to how he wanted his wedding to be.

"You don't want the Jiang ancestral plaques to be there? Wei Wuxian!"

"Jiang Cheng! This is my wedding!"

"Yes! And you are my family!"

"I was never a Jiang if you oh so nicely remember!" A harsh truth.

Jiang Cheng closed his mouth at that, having no answer. A hand clapped his shoulder.

"All my life, I lived under the shadow of Jiangs, I served the Jiangs, I protected the Jiangs, I respected the Jiangs. Tell me Jiang Cheng, did I ever get the chance to learn about my parents?
My father? And he was your father's subordinate! He was here! And yet, just because my mother chose him and Madam Yu had this out for me that Jiang shushu would choose me over you, she lashed out at me, always.
She treated me like a servant Jiang Cheng, like just because my father was a servant I too, by birth was supposed to serve her!"

Jiang Wanyin didn't say anything.
He didn't have anything to say.

"You know what's more funny? I lived where my father worked, where my father literally grew up and yet somehow never learnt a single thing about him! Every time I asked, every time I questioned someone, they would simply look at me and walk away.

Even Grandmaster Lan! Heaven knows what my mother did to him, not that he wouldn't have deserved it but he had to go and take it out on me! You see, even after...no even during the war, they knew me not for being the son of the most sought after and strongest cultivator Cangse Sanren but as the son of a servant!

I-I don't want such relationships like that anymore Jiang Cheng. I do not want to do one thing which is reserved for my parents to be done under the name of Jiangs, I cannot disrespect my parents like that. Whether you support me or not, I will marry Lan Zhan only in front of the tablets of my parents; no one else."

And then Wei Wuxian went away, leaving his brother alone.

Sometime later, Jiang Cheng found him.

"I will support you. You deserve this and I am no one to interfere. I apologise. Just-just...have the wedding at the Lotus Pier?"

Wei Wuxian smiled, lit up like a literal sun. "Sure."

Hearts thudding in their chest, the soulmates smiled at each other.
Wei Ying mouthed a silent 'ready' to which Lan Zhan nodded and they bowed.

First to the tablets of Wei Wuxian's parents and to the family present; second to the Heaven and the Earth; and lastly, to eachother. Each bow seem to last a lifetime, each turn an eternity but finally, finally they are married.

Wei Wuxian grinned as he helped his now husband onto his feet. It wasn't exactly visible through the veil but he swore that Lan Zhan had tears in his eyes too. Together as newlyweds, they made their way downstairs where their family surrounded them. Sizhui and Jin Ling now had tear tracks on their cheeks while Jiang Cheng and Lan Xichen smiled openly. All of them were crying, all of them had tear streaks on their faces, all of them had a smile on like the sun lit up their day.

They took turns hugging everyone; Lan Xichen and Lan Zhanshi embracing Wei Wuxian with subtle threats whispered against his ears. Well, Wei Ying knew Jiang Cheng must have done the same to Lan Zhan. He was surprised but still happy. Jiang Cheng grabbed him and gave a solid clap on his back with a gruff and sniffling 'congratulations'.

Wei Wuxian looked at Lan Zhan, being embraced by his family, looked at Sizhui and Jin Ling and smiled at his brother. They had selected few people for this, only those who were close to them to see them being married.
Wei Wuxian looked at his husband. They couldn't be more happy.

***********

The banquet which follows is extravagant. There's no other word for it. After the ceremony, the newly wedded pair made their way to the banquet; where Wei Wuxian accepted the fake and some polite congratulations from the various guests and allowed them to look at his husband. It was going to be a long night.

There were actually eighteen courses-three courses a day with an additional desserts and snacks, as Jiang Cheng had graciously informed him. Eighteen! Like these stuck up obnoxious fools didn't eat anything for a whole year.

Each course has been planned (argued over) by both the Lans and Jiangs (Lan Xichen and Jiang Cheng) before they made it here. Just to be a bit petty Jiang Cheng had not included any bland dishes, as he told his brother nonchalantly over the first course of wine.

"To my shixiong and brother in law, may they have a happy and prosperous marriage!"

Wei Wuxian was actually a bit stunned that Jiang Cheng called him shixiong.
It took him a while to fumble his own wine and drink, thankfully no one noticed or they were similarly shocked to notice.

For Lan Zhan, they had compromised with the wine a bit; in a way. When Jiang Cheng learned that no matter what his brother in law couldn't drink wine without risking a blackout, he had marched up to one of the oldest wine uncle and asked him to brew the world's lightest wine possible.

'Just so it can be called wine, but extremely diluted or light.'

More toasts followed before the banquet started and people started mingling. Wei Wuxian spied his brother in a heated discussion with Lan Xichen, probably about where they should visit first after a month of their marriage or plotting something equally mortifying. Seriously, his brother is the worst.

"Wei gonzi, congratulations on your nuptials! You sure caught the largest fish available."

Wei Wuxian smiled tightly. Ah, here comes the slight. Beside him, he could feel Lan Zhan go rigid at the implied insult.

"Well, gonzi I am sure my husband is a rare gem in a coal mine. Though I won't compare; words aren't enough to describe my husband you know."

The man frowned, as if Wei Wuxian's words offended him personally.

"Wei gonzi, Li gonzi here is correct though. No one ever thought Hanguang-Jun would marry, much less marry a man."

Okay, these people really were trying to mess up with him. But before he could answer a minor sect leader whom Wei Wuxian definitely didn't ever remember seeing joined.

"Of course we didn't! No one ever thought the wedding would take place in Lotus Pier either!"

Wei Wuxian glared at said sect leader, his eyes cold and smile just edging on terrifying as he spoke each word slowly.

"Well, perhaps some things are better left unpredicted sect leader Mo. Also, it's no one's business where the wedding takes place. Now excuse me, I want to talk to my brother and brother in-law."

Before the cultivators could utter another word, Wei Wuxian steered them away, dragging Lan Zhan till they were away from that delegation altogether. Lan Xichen saw them first, smiling at the pair.

"Wei gonzi, Wangji!"

"Zewu-Jun, Jiang Cheng! Why did no told me who was invited to the wedding?"

Wei Wuxian whisper shouted to them to which both sect leaders answered with confused stares.

"You do not get to decide who is invited and who isn't. That's for us to decide."

"But it's my wedding Jiang Cheng!"

The brothers continued to bicker softly while Lan Xichen turned to his brother.

"Wangji...how are you feeling?"

"I am happy Xiongzhang."

Lan Xichen smiled, his brother was radiating happiness. He couldn't be more gratified at finally seeing his brother with his love. The Lan brothers gazed at the other Yunmeng duo fondly, happy to see them bonding.

It was good for everyone. It was the start of good of everyone.

*******《°°♤°°》*******

They talked about the lychees and lotuses which Wei Ying had brought to the Cloud Recesses as betrothal gifts.

"Wei gonzi really went overboard with everything. He had the jewelleries, silks and other items packed in three crates while two whole crates were devoted to lychees and lotus seeds."

Lan Xichen also informed him that Wei Ying had brought enough of everything to be distributed to all the people living in Cloud Recesses and then some. Lan Wangji just shook his head, fond and exasperated at the same time at his husband's antics. He had heard the conversation the juniors had with Wei Ying. He will have a word with them, later, but for now he just smiled.

The mood worsens when they have to talk with a few Lan elders. Apparently the elders forget their rules when it is convenient for them.

Lan Xichen had brought them to the table since the Grandmaster wasn't moving much and a few elders who have come to the wedding were quick to point out the slight spice in food.

"Lan Xian Sheng, I hope you are feeling better."

"Jiang zhongzhu, I am well. YunmengJiang's hospitality is much appreciated."

Even if Lan Qiren seemed to be courteous for the sake of his nephews, the other Lan elders had no qualms in insulting their host for not accommodating to their band palate.

"This one thanks Grandmaster Lan for coming here despite his health conditions. We are family now it seems, Lan Xiansheng."

"Perhaps Jiang zhongzhu has yet to learn how to host his in-laws. Qiren might be quite lenient but how could you accept this Jiang zhongzhu, letting a demonic cultivator in here? And the ceremony didn't even take place in public."

Just then, Wei Wuxian arrived with Lan Wangji and both glared at the Lans while Jiang Cheng smiled coldly.

"YunmengJiang asks for your forgiveness qianbe but the palate is for everyone. We are not serving the Lans."

The Lan in question became red with anger but Wei Wuxian interrupted before anyone else could speak.

"As for why the ceremony was a private affair, qianbe I believe that's a family matter and no one outside of family has any right to question me or my brother how to host anyone. This is my and Lan Zhan's wedding and we get to decide how we want it to be, not you."

He rounded the table, making every person seated there hold their breath in anticipation before whispering,

"And let it be said that you are here just because I don't want Lan Zhan to be sad. If I see him sad, I will be mad and if I am mad then you all will be.....let's not continue this thought, shall we?"

With a slight pat on one of the Lans, Wei Wuxian straightened before bouncing over to Lan Wangji. The Lans watched in shock as the person who has been threatening them mere seconds ago pouted like a spoiled child at his husband, whining and then laughing.

***********************

For the most part, the night goes on easily- filled with laughter and joy and some polite threats. Jin Ling swears sect leader Yao is courting death with how he tries to curry favour in all the wrong ways at every occasion. But Hanguang-Jun simply puts a silencing spell on him while his dajiu gives him a piece of mind.

"If my husband did not answer you Sect leader Yao, then it means he doesn't want to. Stop before I kick you out of here for offending my husband."

Before sect leader Yao could attempt to break through the silence spell, a commotion dragged everyone's eyes towards the entrance of the hall. Ghost General Wen Qionglin, Wen Ning was standing there. Automatically everyone had their swords ready but a warning from Wei Wuxian kept them from attacking.

Jin Ling watched, astound, as the fierce corpse went straight to it's master without so much as a glance at anyone. His da jiu brightened immediately and even talked with the fierce corpse like it was a long lost friend.

Maybe when Wen Ning had been alive, he was. Even Hanguang-Jun nodded and accepted the basket Wen Ning had brought. All the while the remaining sect leaders and other cultivators gaped at the scene in front of them. Only when Wen Ning made his exit after being guided somewhere by a servant did the tension in the room dissipate. Beside him, Jin Ling could practically hear his cousin snorting and whispering insults. He ignored their conversation of course, nothing good would come from reacting to his stupid cousin's words.

Instead, he focused on his jiujiu who was smiling (in Jin Ling's opinion a non-frowning Jiang Wanyin meant a smiling Jiang Wanyin). Both his uncles looked really happy.
Jin Ling wondered if it was finally time he sucked up his arrogance and talked to his da jiu. He knew the man was a great artist (Sizhui had told him once) and if he was lucky, maybe he could also ask for a portrait of his A Niang ?

**********************

Moonlight glittered on the stars lying on the lone silhouette in the centre, tiny pins of light scattered over an expanse of shadowy red. Here, out in the open, away from all the haze of wine and shine- the silence brought the beauty of the person to a heavenly level.

Footsteps, soft yet sure approached the figure, stopping a few metres away-admiring the view, drinking in the sight like enjoying a fine wine. They say even warriors get drunk on love and beauty. Wei Wuxian believes them.

"Xingan..."

The figure turned, a twinkle of hundred stars, smiling at the sight of his husband.

"Wei Ying"
"Lan Zhan"

They met in between, a warm embrace. This felt right, this felt like night.

"We can escape the guests now. Jiang Cheng will handle the rest."
"You left him there to handle the rest."

A huff of laughter, Wei Wuxian shook his head.

"Aiyah, fine, fine. I left him and your brother there to escape. Can't I have my husband now? I have gone through so much! I even duelled-"

Wei Wuxian stopped, shutting his mouth while Lan Wangji stared at his husband in shock and suspicion.

"Wei Ying!"
"Aiyah...Lan Zhan, it was nothing!"

"Whom did you duel?"

"...."

"Tell me"

"..."

"Wei Ying"
"Lan Zhan-"

"You duelled Xiongzhang!"

Lan Wangji didn't raise his voice, but Wei Wuxian winced nonetheless, chastised.

"It was nothing I couldn't handle Lan Zhan!"

A pointed stare had Wei Ying averting his eyes, sighing long suffering.

"Fine...I fainted. ONLY AFTER THE END! Promise! Trust your Wei Ying a bit Lan Er Gege!!!!"

"Wei Ying should take care of himself then."

"Huh, I have you for that. And Jiang Cheng. You two wouldn't even let me near something if someone told you something could happen. Or wait, Jiang Cheng would; he would simply throw me in it but haul me out of it as soon as things started getting worse...."

"He is still learning, you said it yourself."
"Hey! You're supposed to be on my side Lan Zhan!! My own husband has abandoned me, woe is me!"

"Wei Ying" Seeing that his zhiji was trying to get out of his embrace, Wei Wuxian tightened his arms, laughing.

"Okay, okay I won't tease you anymore."

But the next second, his smile turned wolfish as he brought his face near to his husband's.

"Well, we still have to cross cups Lan Zhan and...you know..."
"Wei Ying!" But those red ears and the almost smile told Wei Ying enough.

************************

After informing his brother and Lan Xichen properly (at Lan Zhan's insistence), the newlyweds entered their wedding chamber.

The room was beautifully decorated, red and gold mixing with each other on every surface. The pair made their way towards the low table where a tea set along with two cups and jar of alcohol already sat. This was the same brew Jiang Cheng had specially made so they both could drink.

With surprisingly steady hands, Wei Wuxian lifts the veil, welcomed by his husband's smiling soft face. He takes a moment to admire the view, the soft smile gracing the usual blank and hard face.

Their hands shake a bit, unsteady with thrill and emotion. When they cross cups, silver staring into gold: the moment freezes in between.

"Lan Zhan, I never thought I could have this. I can't believe I have this."

"Then believe it, feel it."

Those sincere eyes, glistening just so in the dim light of candles reflect his own, a mirror to his soul.

"Hm...I do have a way. Is my husband willing to explore?" He teases, his voice light but slightly hitching, excited yet shy. Asking, inviting.
His hands find themselves circling that red bound waist, encompassing his zhiji whole, pulling him close, closer till there's no gap left anymore.

"Make me feel Wei Ying. Make me yours."

There's a soft tremor in that voice, a tremble, that causes Wei Wuxian to dive in. He dives in and feels the softness and liquid of those plush lips which has him addicted even before he got a taste. Addicted enough to come back from the dead.

His hands work their way into the elaborate hairstyle, reaching for the hundreds of pins blindly. Wei Wuxian manages to get two pins out at most before deciding that continued kissing meant hurting Lan Zhan and stopped the kiss, with great difficulty might he add.

"Ah, let's remove all these first. Hm, shall we? ."

"Wei Ying"

Lan Zhan did not whine, nope. The twinkle in Wei Ying's eyes told him otherwise.

Still, Lan Wangji let himself be guided towards the vanity where he noticed a basin has been kept with a washcloth ready. His husband made him sit there while he slowly worked out the pins and chains and the complicated hairstyle; all the while massaging his scalp slowly. He felt himself shiver as the fingers pressed just a bit onto his scalp, relieving the tension.

As the last pin was taken out, Lan Wangji shuddered as his husband's hand ran through his hair, just shy of touching the marital ribbon.

"Lan Zhan.."
"Wei Ying.."

Looking at their reflection in the bronze mirror, Lan Wangji traced his eyes up, meeting with his husband's silver depths. Standing up, he turned and slowly grabbed Wei Ying's hand, guiding them towards the ribbon.

Wei Wuxian only hesitated for a moment, as if frozen before a soft smile bloomed on his face and he touched the ribbon-tugging at it slightly.

**********************

Chirping next to rustle of soft sheets, the tiny bird poked at the slumbering lump on the bed before flying away, startled.

"Mmmrrpphgh...."

A long limb landed on the bed with a thump, turning around before snuggling close to the other sleeping lump. Sunlight filtered into the room, shining onto the scrunched up face from the jewels. Wei Wuxian grunted, turning away from the light to continue sleeping when suddenly his brain paddled back and he woke up with a start. Turning his eyes around the room he stretched, catlike before his gaze fell on the sleeping figure beside him.

A faint smile curved his lips up, transforming into a full blown dopey smile as Wei Wuxian leaned down towards his sleeping husband.
His breath must tickle because Lan Zhan's face scrunched up adorably and Wei Wuxian blinked. His husband's cuteness was not too much to handle in the morning. With a quiet laugh he leaned away, watching as Lan Zhan chased his presence- curling towards him.

Wei Wuxian never knew he would see Lan Zhan sleeping in any posture other than the perfect Lan pose. Yet here he was, Lan Wangji, Hanguang-Jun, curling onto his side with the world's most adorable expression on his face. In marital bed, with Wei Wuxian.

As if sensing eyes on him, Lan Wangji stirred and Wei Wuxian watched as his adorable zhiji blinked sleepily before those hazy soft golden eyes found his own.

"Lan Zhan"
"Wei Ying"

Sleep cleared from his eyes, Lan Wangji smiled at his husband, his husband!
But as soon as he tried to sit his body protested and he winced. Wei Ying noticed immediately, guiding Lan Zhan to slowly recline at the headboard.

"Aahhaahahhahh....ahem...Lan Zhan...are....are you okay?"

Lan Wangji glared at his husband, hot with embarrassment while his guilty husband did not meet his eyes.
Wei Wuxian could feel that the glare directed his way and sheepishly rubbed his nose. Maybe....he was a bit excited yesterday.....He kept his eyes anywhere but on his husband, knowing full well that the sight of a naked Lan Zhan would not be good for his heart first thing in the morning.
Also, Lan Zhan's glares were scary.

**********************

Wei Ying finally offered to help Lan Zhan in getting ready for the day, carrying him to the bathtub despite his husband's protests.

"Wei Ying! Put me down!"

"Aiyah Lan Zhan! I have seen everything there is to see. What's there to hide? Come on, you can't be embarrassed just because of our state of undress. See! Even I am not wearing anything!"

That only got him a sharp pinch and Wei Wuxian winced at the sting.

"Ow, Lan Zhan! So violent! On our first day of marriage? Sigh...poor old little me, suffering from the start."

Lan Wangji just huffed at that, turning his face away. He knows how little Wei Ying is. It's the reason he isn't able to sit.

Wei Ying gave him some soft lavender and red robes with a mix of royal blue while he himself donned his usual Prussian blue and red. Lan Wangji admired the view, the memories of the time he had seen Wei Ying in them were a gem and his husband looked wonderful in those colours.

Greeting the few people who are now part of the inner Jiang clan was a quiet affair. The meal and introduction included delicacies famous in Yunmeng but upon closer look Lan Wangji observed how most of them seemed to be swimming in oil and chillies. His nose itched with the smell of peppers, eyes watering as they bowed and sat at the table.

Wei Ying kept looking at him throughout the meal but Lan Wangji made sure to keep his neutral and endure the spice. It helped that his husband directed any spicy dish passed to Lan Wangji to his own plate and Jiang Wanyin was also gracious enough to point out that GusuLan did not have such varied palate.

The elders included an old granny who must have aged thousands of years yet looked barely eighty and a few of Mishan Yu elders who were relatives of Jiangs from Madam Yu's side had different opinions about their marriage.

Granny congratulated them heartily with kind eyes and a knowing smile while the Yu elders maintained their calculated gaze throughout the breakfast. Afterwards, Wei Wuxian led them to their quarters where Jin Ling and Sizhui were waiting for them. It didn't escape either of the kids how Lan Wangji was leaning towards Wei Wuxian for support or how Wei Ying had an arm around Lan Zhan.

Thankfully the seniors were relieved from any embarrassment by the juniors who chose to not comment.
Jin Ling just hugged his dajiu while Sizhui told them about the events which took place after their escape from the drunken chaos. It seems that Lan Xichen had challenged Jiang Wanyin for a drinking challenge; the two sect leader's spending the night drinking till Sizhui and Jin Ling interrupted their what appeared to be a very enthusiastic and competitive challenge- dragging them to their respective rooms with the help of Lan Zhanshi and some disciples.

"Who knew Zewu-Jun would get drunk. He certainly didn't use his golden core trick last night because Jiang Cheng doesn't get drunk easily." Wei Wuxian mumbled. Feeling his husband's and the kid's questioning eyes on him, he shrugged.

"Ah, you don't know? Zewu-Jun once told me that he uses his golden core to purge the effect of alcohol on his qi and body. This helps in keeping him sane and doesn't make him drunk. Diplomatic relationships, he said. Not everyone takes kindly to people declining a drink."

"But Hanguang-Jun..."

"Ah, your Hanguang-Jun can get d-"

"Wei Ying!" A glare was enough of a warning for Wei Ying, who retracted his steps with a nervous laugh.

"Ah, okay...okay! Well, kids you see I don't think I can speak after this..haha....okay! See you, get aside, Lan Zhan needs to rest!"

Both juniors watched, perplexed as the most feared cultivator known to the cultivation world made his exit with a silly excuse just because of a single glare and call of his name.

Really, love does makes you stupid.
It also makes you happy.

******************************

The leaves of green hope peeked from beneath the layer of white, soft colours like spots of ink on a canvas scattered by. A chirp of a tiny bird, the hush of a bamboo groove- the crunch of dried leaves announced the arrival of person who tilled the earth to reap.

"Lan Zhan! Look what I got today at the river!"

Another pair of soft padded footsteps and a man in soft floral embroidered robes came around the corner, smiling at the sight of his husband.

"Wei Ying"

The man named Wei Ying smiled brightly, raising the fish to show his husband who nodded before putting away his dirty robes and hat while said husband took the fish away.

A chatter filled the house, a pitter patter on the dry silence.

"Lan Zhan, you know the fish was wiggling so much I almost dropped it three times. It was a struggle to get it back without letting it slip out from my grasp but in the end your Wei Ying won! Aren't I amazing Lan Zhan?"

A cheeky grin and set of hopeful wide eyes trained themselves on the quiet man who smiled, indulging his husband.

"Mn, Wei Ying is amazing, the best."

Wei Ying beamed, a full smile almost splitting his face as he bounced away to take care of his dirty clothes. He came back bounding to the aroma of steamed fish and spicy soup, tracking them towards the kitchen to find Lan Zhan stirring something on the stove. There was rice and some pickle too, along with a jar of lemon juice.

Lan Wangji insisted that he always had something to drink after a day of tilling and work in the fields and Wei Wuxian found that trying to make his husband steer away from anything once he set his mind on is very difficult. So they have made a solution.

Each day after Wei Wuxian comes home, a jar of juice waits him in the kitchen. Only after he has finished a glass, Lan Wangji silently takes out a jar of wine Jiang Cheng or Lan Xichen sends them- alternating between the two.

It's good and he feels happy, taken care of in a way no one had done for him ever. It's a nice feeling. Wei Wuxian is trying to get used to it. He has plenty of time though as his thrumming core and husband's happy eyes remind him each moment.

♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤○♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤

"Lan Zhan! Wow, the fish really is delicious! What did you add this time?"

"Just some herbs Lu ayi told me about. She said her family loves it. I sampled first."

"She knows so much we don't, doesn't she? Ah....this is something I haven't tasted in a while. The spice. Mmhhnnmm.....but how did you sample the dish A Zhan? The spice is way above your tolerance!"

"She has a diverse range of knowledge, yes and I sampled by eating. Wei Ying needs to focus on his meal before something happens to it."

Lan Wangji said with a pointed stare, prompting Wei Wuxian to shut up and gobble up his food. But the silence only lasted for a while before Wei Wuxian was once again trying to wheedle out the answer from his husband.

"Awww....please Lan Zhan, A Zhan, Xingan, sweetheart, husband! Please tell your Wei Ying the secret behind your amazing recipe....please, please...Pretty please?"

"Finish your dinner first."

Understanding that there won't be any other way, Wei Wuxian pouted, stuffing his mouth full like a chipmunk as he finished his meal.

After dinner, the pair laid wrapped around eachother in their bed, limbs loose and eyes sleepy. Even Wei Ying, a night owl, was having difficulty in keeping his eyes open. A day in field does that to you.

"Lan Zhan"
"Mn"

"You promised"
"Mn......"

"....."
"....."

"Lan Zhaaaaaaaaan!"

"Wei Ying?"

Wei Ying huffed, pouting at his husband. But his lethal weapon didn't have any effect since Lan Zhan had claimed his spot facing away from Wei Ying, spooned from behind by his beloved husband. They both loved to cuddle, who wouldn't when they had such a cute and soft husband? Wei Ying decided the question didn't warrant an answer, especially if it wanted him to have a reason for cuddling his squishy and soft husband.

Not that he was ever going to tell Lan Zhan that.

"I just liked the taste."

Before Wei Ying could comprehend the sentence, his husband pecked his unsuspecting self on the lips before turning away once again and feigning sleep. Wei Wuxian was left to blink stupidly and ponder upon the sudden kiss. The cruelty!

"Lan. Zhan!!!!!"

♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤

Several days later, Wei Wuxian comes home to another new recipe, this one a spicy hot dry noodles recipe served with stir fried snails and spicy chilli oil. When asked about the new dish, his husband just answered in a calm tone.

"I found the snails on my way back and A Su's mother wanted me to sample her noodles."

Thinking it was just that, Wei Wuxian did not think anything about it. Except the next week Lan Zhan cooked a whole pot of red chicken soup and ate it with gusto, without any discomfort. This made Wei Wuxian think. He knows that while Lan Wangji can tolerate a bit of spice by now he still doesn't love chilies and so the sudden alteration in their dinner is concerning.

He decides to ask his husband after dinner but Lan Wangji just said that he was fine. Which did not help, at all.
And then one day Wei Wuxian heard the sound of retching. He peeked at the corner of their house to see his husband bent over a bucket, heaving. Before he could speak, Lan Wangji stood up and walked away. Wei Wuxian decided to question him during meal which he forgot.

Then came the tiredness. Wei Wuxian saw how Lan Zhan struggled with daily tasks, unable to keep his eyes open at times. He saw how the bland tofu soup which his husband adored (and Wei Wuxian thought of as punishment) was left untouched at times.

Wei Wuxian knew his husband had a tendency to hide his worries and hurt, they both were but that didn't mean Wei Wuxian wouldn't try. He knew that the sealed core affected Lan Zhan, made him vulnerable to things he wouldn't be with a fully functioning core.
He had lived a life like that and knew that his husband struggled everyday.
It was only because of all the Lan training that his muscles had helped but still the injuries reminded them everyday. Lan Wangji's right arm was not that strong and tingled with pain whenever strained a bit, his knees buckled under any added weight and wobbled if bended slightly.
The exhaustion was another matter.

Times like these, Wei Wuxian saw how frustrated his husband became, realising there was a limit he couldn't push through, a boundary he couldn't cross. And Wei Wuxian worried. He worried whenever Lan Zhan told him to go to fields and listened guiltily as the softest sobs wrecked through a once almost invincible man when he thought no one was looking. Wei Wuxian closed his eyes sadly whenever he saw how Lan Wangji would try to hide himself in the river or lake while bathing, trying to hide his body so full of scars and welts. He cried internally when he saw Lan Wangji shed a single tear at midnight, sleepless with sorrow and shame. Sometimes he traced his clothed abdomen, the place where his core was, existing but useless; there and yet out of his reach.

"I am fine Wei Ying."
"No you're not and don't try to hide Lan Zhan. Please."

At this, Lan Wangji stood up from their bed, going to stand by the window. Wei Wuxian followed, worried he had upset his zhiji.

"Xingan, please. Please don't hide, not from me." Wei Wuxian knows it's not easy for Lan Wangji, he had been there himself! He knows the self-hatred and depressing thoughts which plague your mind, the dark thoughts which whisper in your conscience.

Not getting any response, Wei Wuxian slowly goes to stand beside Lan Wangji, looking for any signs of alarm. Finding none, he hesitantly brings an arm around his husband, drawing him close. Only then a huff of breathe puffs out, a full body shudder going through the tall frame before Wei Wuxian tightens his arms around his zhiji.

They sleep that night with limbs looped around eachother, tucked together with only enough space for breathing. Even though summer is here and the nights are sticky.

The next day, Wei Wuxian succeeds in getting his husband to promise that they will visit the village doctor so that he could sleep well.

"Just a simple check Lan Zhan! I know you're strong but please care for your poor Wei Ying's heart!"

Wei Wuxian isn't above begging at this point and his husband knows it.

They decide to visit the village doctor. The man appears to be in his eighties from the looks and is quick in his work, not batting an eye at the pair. After checking Lan Wangji's meridians and a full body check-up though, he frowns a bit, rechecking everything before he looks at Lan Wangji. Wei Wuxian looks between them, restless eyes tracking his husband's face for any discomfort while looking for anything the doctor might not want to tell.

"Daifu, is everything all right with my husband?"

The man sweeps another glance over Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian barely manages to bite back a threat. The man is a doctor, he doesn't mean harm. His mind does not acknowledges that fact.

"What is your name gonzi?"

Lan Wangji blinks, surprised by the question but answers nonetheless. The doctor nods before his eyes widened minutely in shock, looking between him and Wei Wuxian.

"...Are you, by any chance....from the GusuLan sect?"

"With due respect daifu, please do tell what does that have got to do with my husband's health?"

This time, the annoyance is visible in his voice and Wei Wuxian doesn't even bother to hide it.

The doctor looked at both of them this time, really looked at them and sighed. With eyes trained on the clouds outside, focused on a past long gone and lived, he spoke with the experience which came with regrets.

"Because I once belonged to GusuLan."

*********************

Belonged to GusuLan, as in lived there like a perfect little Lan your elders want you to be-keeping head low, never questioning a twig.

Lan Zhangze was a man people admired and respected throughout the world. They said he was a man carved out jade, sculpted by the rules and adorned with knowledge of an immortal. Envy followed not far away.

It all changed one night, when Lan Zhangze spotted a person entering Cloud Recesses by breaking the wards. When caught, the man pleaded Lan Zhangze to help him, that his family was in danger and only a cultivator could help him.
Lan Zhangze was suspicious at first but decided to help. They flew to the house to find it in shambles with an old couple injured and lying under a tree nearby. The man ran towards the elderly couple as soon as they touched the ground, crying out their names. Lan Zhangze checked and told the man that they were just unconscious.

"What happened here?"

"We...I-we-I don't-huh..." poor man was hyperventilating from everything he must have encountered and Lan Zhangze crouched down in front of him.

"Relax, otherwise I won't be able to help. Take a deep breathe and then tell me what happened here."

The man eventually calmed down enough to string words together, stuttering and hiccupping out words which barely made sense.

Long story short, Lan Zhangze found the ghost, tried to fight it, failed and called for help while tending to the injured couple. The help arrived shortly in terms of patrolling disciples and Lan Zhangze's brother who eliminated the ghost. The injured were taken to Cloud Recesses to recover while the man who had broken the wards accompanied the Lan brothers.

The elders were angered that someone dared to break their wards. They gave punishment to both Lan Zhangze and the man. Lan Zhangze intervened. This angered the elders more and they told him that his punishment would be doubled. Lan Zhangze accepted.

The man wasn't silent in all this. He protested loudly, unable to understand why they were being punished. He was strictly against the elders punishing Lan Zhangze for no reason.

"I broke in because you wouldn't let me in! He just helped! What's your problem?"

It took effort to get the man away. Lan Zhangze did not hear of him again.

Fast forward, the two met again during various occasions. A bond blossomed between them, a small bud which continued to grow as they braved through numerous adventures. The man, named Ming Danzhuang as Lan Zhangze learned was a rouge cultivator with no cultivation background. The elderly couple had adopted him and were the only people he called family.

Lan Zhangze was in awe. He had never encountered a person who could match him so accurately and this person had no cultivation background too. At that moment, Lan Zhangze knew he wanted to know this man. Time will tell in how many ways.

They continued to meet like that, always lingering but never saying something. It was frightening, it was out of the norm, it was out of the life they lived.
It was love.

Lan Zhangze realised it when Ming Danzhuang saved him from a spirit who was just too powerful for him. He had been fighting for hours and yet the spirit continued. But with Ming Danzhuang fighting along with him, they defeated the spirit. In the aftermath when they laid on the ground, catching their breathes, Lan Zhangze knew.

There could be no one else for him.

He looked at A Zhuang, lying in the dirt with chest heaving and eyes closed and wondered- what would it be like, nighthunting together for eternity?
He did not voice his thoughts.

The two men went their ways, taking away a piece of other's soul along with them.

A series of events, betrayals, hurt, loss and lifetime later; the two men found sanctuary in a village far away from the cultivation world, a place which gave them home. Somewhere they vowed to live and love for eternity.

But fate had other plans. Somehow, cultivation and golden cores gave them the blessing of a new life. The two men were over the moon with the news. Danzhuang was ecstatic after the initial shock wore off and the pair of husbands eagerly waited for the arrival of the new addition to their little family.

One day Lan Zhangze came home to find his husband lying on the floor while curled in a foetal position. Panicked, he carried Ming Danzhuang to the doctor who told them that something was strange. Ming Danzhuang had a peculiar scar on his abdomen and the child was kicking nonstop. On further examination, Lan Zhangze found a curse mark. Someone had cursed his husband. The doctor said that with the child being active so much, they didn't have much option.

Ming needed to give birth right then. They prepared and at midnight, a cry of child filled the doctor's cottage. They had a daughter.

Ming was exhausted, existing in a coma like state while his body did everything it could to heal itself. The curse mark was still there. The doctor informed them that the curse mark was hindering Ming's energy from healing the body, a second late and they would have lost both the baby and the father.

A bit of digging led to the truth. Lan Zhangze never knew he could still be crushed, after being crunched like blackened bread and beaten like soiled clothes. Maybe he was.

Maybe there was still a part of him which could be crushed. Left with a pink blotchy baby and a comatose husband, Lan Zhangze didn't know what to do. The village helped.

For two years, Lan Zhangze held a baby in one arm and his husband in another. And then, Ming Danzhuang woke up.

**********************************

"He wasn't himself after that. I saw A Ming struggle, the curse had practically paralysed him. His original happy self was eroding away and what was left was a barren land, a shell of what he used to be."

Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian looked at the man, his aged eyes looking beyond the time. Their was gloom, grief and resigned acceptance but there was a small flame too.

"Daifu-Lan Xian Sheng....."

"I will prefer you call me Xiansheng or daifu. The name of Lan has not been with me for a long time."

Lan Zhangze interrupted Wei Wuxian who nodded jerkily, still reeling from everything.

"

Xiansheng, what is wrong with my husband?"

Lan Zhangze sighed before turning to look at Lan Wangji once before speaking.

"There's nothing wrong with him except the eminent the curse of death. Congratulations, your husband is pregnant."

Wei Wuxian fainted.

♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤

The curse of death. A curse which would strike when the pregnancy was at its last stage. Wei Wuxian tried not to think about it. There was another thought which was occupying his mind.

A life. A life was growing inside his beautiful husband. Wei Wuxian could still feel himself reeling from the shock. He had passed out as soon as the immortal healer confirmed his suspicion and Lan Wangji was still staring at him worriedly as they walked.

He had known, hell Wei Wuxian remembers terrorising that Meili heir for answers, revelling in the blood-curling sounds and grotesque sight as the man told him everything. Even as he died, Wei Wuxian had called his soul, made it answer his questions, forcing it to obey. The spirit hadn't lasted long. Wei Wuxian had finally eliminated the spirit from the realm.

The blood had soothed him then. Gave his anger and heart an outlet. The screams feeding both ChenQing and his conscience as he watched the reason for his zhiji's sufferings go through the worst.

Now, Wei Wuxian feels nothing. The memory is a distant pulse, blocked by the new thought. They are going to have a family.

When they get home, neither talk about it. Wei Wuxian goes through the usual safety measures and chores, silently cleaning and checking up everything before he joins Lan Zhan at the porch. Dinner is simple with rice and steamed fish. No one comments on how Lan Zhan has doused his own fish in spices.

Only after the meal, as Wei Wuxian watches his husband stare at the night sky in silence does he braves himself up and goes to hug him from behind.
Lan Zhan falls in his embrace, calloused hands wrapping over his own rough hands.

"Hey...Lan Zhan?"
"Wei Ying"

They do not speak for a while, content to bask in the moment before Wei Wuxian speaks.

"Are you happy?"

Lan Wangji looks at him and Wei Wuxian knows the question is dumb.
He smiles, dopey and silly but Lan Zhan smiles in return so it's a win.

It's okay. This might not be something they would have ever thought about or dared to hope but if God decided to bless them with the chance of bringing a life into this world, then who were they to complain? Whatever happens, they will got through it together, face it like they always do- together.
They have eachother and that's all that matters.

********♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤********

"So are you going to tell me the name of our song yet or do I still need to figure it out?" Lan Wangji raises an eyebrow and Wei Wuxian stares back. Then slowly, his husband speaks, eyes ablaze with the fire of life Wei Wuxian simply adores.

"Tell me first, why did you come for me Wei Ying?"

Wei Wuxian thinks back to when he heard about the rumour in an Inn. He thinks back to how his eyes always strayed towards the blue end of things. How, even in his inebriated state did he only think of that tune, how his every sense searched for a cloud and colour blue.

"I just had a question which I never seem to get an answer to. I thought of our song; even at my lowest, I thought of the melody, of your voice, of us; and somehow that's been enough to get me through.
I used to wonder, why? But now I think I have the answer.
Your song called to me, never thought I had be late.

I came because of our song."

"So what do you think is the name of the song?" Lan Wangji asked hoarsely and Wei Wuxian pulled his husband, his soulmate, his other half closer, their foreheads touching as he whispered:

"It brought me to you so WuJi.
And it helped you find me so WangXian.
WuJi for me, WangXian for you."

********************************

膽壯:Dǎnzhuàng, meaning bold.

Ming Dǎnzhuàng: Lan Zhāngzé's husband.

章則:Zhāngzé, meaning rules and regulations.

Lan Zhāngzé: the immortal who helps WangXian

Lao-gong, Zhangfu: husband

************

I used 'it' in narrative in few places because Jin Ling has yet to learn that Wen Ning also deserves humane treatment. Jin Ling is a child whose father was murdered by said fierce corpse so it's reasonable for him to hold resentment towards Wen Ning.

Even though Wen Ning saved him in Guanyin Temple (The Untamed).
I hope the readers understand that's it's not easy to accept the fact and everything at such a young age; also, he already has so much on his plate I am amazed he didn't just collapse under the pressure. It will take time but I believe that time will teach him to accept once again.

♤》IMPORTANT:

I am sorry if I got a few (many things) wrong. I am not a person of Chinese descendent and while I DID discuss this with a friend who is Chinese, there are many things I cannot adjust or fit in here. So I skipped those parts or might have jumbled them a bit........

Forgive me but I DO NOT wish to offend anyone. So please do not start any drama in the comment sections if you find something which isn't supposed to be like it is. The fault lies with me and I can only acknowledge it.
Editing a chapter after it has been published removes comments in between paragraphs and.......let's say I am a bit sentimental when it comes to readers' thoughts on my works.

Call me a fool but I treasure each comment and losing them makes me sad. 🥲

Last written: 22 May, 2022 — 26 July, 2022

Published: 27 July, 2022

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2M 115K 64
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...
1.1M 49.1K 95
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
1.1M 44.3K 51
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
172K 8.8K 41
*He's waited 13 years now for his love, playing inquiry everyday for 13 years- waiting for someone who will never return.* The ice cold Han-Guang Jun...