ᴡᴀʟʟғʟᴏᴡᴇʀ

By sawvvy

❝He built himself the perfect barricade, and she brought with her, the perfect demolition tool❞ Introverted... More

WALLFLOWER
PLAYLIST & AESTHETICS
1 | Enclosed Specimen
2 | Reserved rudeness
3 | Reasonable conversation
4 | Numbers never lie
5 | Endgame
6 | Olive branch
7 | Wilted dreams
8 | Equal proportions
9 | Milestones
10 | Vintage galleries
11 | Varieties & Extremities
13 | Periodic Table
14 | Someone else's battle
15 | Lounge Peak
16 | Daytime Witch
17 | Adult-napper
18 | Just a bite
19 | Peace offering
20 | Death Sentence
21 | Drunk Jenga
22 | Overdramatic
23 | Kitchen treason
24 | Secrets to spill
25 | Muse (Not)
26 | Willingly
27 | Non-date
28 | Next step
29 | Sticky Situation

12 | We're not friends

142 51 49
By sawvvy

There should be limits to a person's acting out.

But of course, some humans didn't acknowledge it.

They combusted and cooled over, whenever pleased them and this, people, was why I hated socializing.

Having conversations was one stressful thing when it came to socializing, but a brawl? The unruly act of throwing caution to the wind and doing something drastic. Throwing around their uncultured acts like they were freebies?

Count me the fuck out.

But I couldn't get off this one. Since it involved my supposed, so called friends and the girls I'd met earlier, with a few new faces.

Some guy had Lade's collar in a breath-restricting, death grip. Seeing Lade's unbothered face, I was least worried about the grip.

But the look on the unnamed dude's face?

Hard and stonecold as he glared fire and brimstone on an unbothered Lade. His eyes, holding promises of future and painful collisions.

"Well," Didi let out beside me. I didn't know she'd followed me. "Here we go again."

I shot a brow up as I turned to face her.  "You know these people?"

She nodded. "Of course. If I didn't, would I have risked coming close? I'm not that jobless, you know."

Snorting, I turned to face the sight before us. "Wouldn't be surprised there. You tend to stick your nose into other people's business quite a lot."

Her gasp was all I could hear, but I could feel her scorching gaze beside me.  "Stick my nose into other people's business?"

"There's no point repeating my statement. I'm not hard of hearing." I turned to face her. "Didn't think my words would be that hard to understand though."

I could see it and feel it at the same time, with the way she glared fire and brimstone at me, while she struggled to hold back her words. She was crazy provoked. And it was all because of me.

I smiled. That would teach her to stay off my business.

However, her next action wiped the smile off my lips.

Her lips stretched into a sadistic smile that appeared too saccharine to be genuine.

"You called it grumpy," she let the words out calmly, like she was speaking to a child. "It's game on."

My eyes narrowed at it's own volition but before I could speak, she skipped away to where her so-called friends stood.

I could see Karen --as Khalid had described, the girl on the hot heels-- and sweatpant girl, the crazy one who'd asked if I was single.

I shook my head. I knew this was the kind of friend Didi kept. The crazy ones always rolled together.

Hijab girl was with some chill looking dude, trying to speak to the boy who had Lade on a death grip.

"Listen guys," hijab girl spoke calmly, but there was a strict tone to her voice. "I don't care what your problems are. Take this outside or wait till the event is over before I call security."

I raised an impressed brow.

"Damn." Khalid's voice said behind me, just where Didi stood seconds ago. "My kind of girl."

When did he get here?

Without turning to look at him, I scoffed. "Thought you didn't have a type."

"I said kind not type."

Rolling my eyes at his words, I saw Lade and the other guy let go of each other, slowly, before shoving each other away.

Thank God. That was quick.

The boy straightened out his dress shirt, aiming a deadly glare at Lade. "Better watch your back."

"That's Kam," Khalid leaned in to whisper. "Lade's former best friend."

My head whipped around to face him. "Best friend?"

Khalid nodded confidently. "Long story bro. Long story."

Turning to stare at the boys again, I saw Lade's lips curve into an infuriating smirk.

"Or what would happen? You'd go tattling?" He goaded, standing big and proud with his imposing form. "Oh, I forgot you don't even have to balls to do so. You'll just go stew at a corner like the pussy that you ar-"

It was quick and fast, but one couldn't miss the totally expected punch that landed on Lade's jaw. The collision, causing him to stagger a bit.

Horrified gasp filled the little space we were in, same time Khalid's shocked voice let out.

"Oh shit!"

I looked around the small space. It was away from the main hall, just a curved hallway that led to the gallery's main offices.

Although it was secluded and secured by walls, anyone might see us. The same way Didi and I had seen them.

I let out an annoyed breath, this shouldn't escalate. Okay it should, if they wanted it to, but they should take it outside or wherever pleased them like the hijab girl had suggested. I couldn't have anyone ruining Mum's hard work.

Karen was by Lade's side in an instant, a frantic mess. Her hands shook as she took in his bursted bloody lips.

I scoffed. He didn't deserve her.

Lade stood, that smirk still stuck to his face as he took in the angry boy, who was being held back by the chill looking dude.

"I see you finally grew some balls." Lade continued taunting.

I knew his tactics. It was the same one he used at the boxing ring the few times I've been dragged there.

He got under his opponents skin. The act, although annoying, always worked.

"Kam, man look at me." The chill looking guy ordered, crowding Kam like he was shielding Lade from his view. "Don't listen to him. He's not worth it and you know it."

But the Kam dude shook his head in pity as he pushed his friend aside to take in Lade, who still had the taunting glint in his eyes and that fucking annoying smirk on.

"If this is what you've chosen to become," Kam's eyes were not aiming daggers at Lade anymore. They were... Sad? "Then so be it. Who am I to have a say. But you know what? Keep every inch of this new you to your fucking self!"

Lade scoffed. "People grow at some point Kamauche, get with the movement!"

Another voice scoffed this time. "You call being a walking and breathing STD growth?" Sweatpant girl was glaring fire and brimstone at Lade.

However, Lade shrugged. His smirk finally morphing into an innocent smile. "And you think being a total bitch is better? Hmmn, Wande?"

"Asshole." If it was possible for her glare to harden, it did.

"Y'all don't get to judge me." Lade said a little too loud. The smile on his face almost looking cynical. "None of you fucking have the right to do so."

Didi rolled her eyes, from where she stood, leaning against the wall beside hijab girl. "Dude, no one is judging you."

It was a surprise that she was just speaking when she'd been here all this while.

"Didi," Lade smiled, a playful and teasing glint back to his eyes. "Thought the group's little saint wasn't allowed to speak?"

His words didn't faze her, rather she smiled, hers matching his. "You're right. I've been a goddamn saint so bad that I'm now stacking halos on my head. Can you see them?"

Lade let out a scoff as sarcasm dripped her words.

"No one is judging you Lade. Not one fucking person here has the time to spare your life choices a glance. So, if you feel you're being judged, go and get a thorough look at yourself. It isn't other people's opinion that is bugging you, it's your own opinion. Deep down, you know you've been making the wrong choice and you've been unfair to those undeserving of such act."

"Am I interrupting something?"

I heard Mum's voice before I saw her standing at the entrance of the hallway, her mouth in a straight line as she stared at Lade's bursted lips.

Oh shit!

•••

"What was that about?"

I watched my Mum seal shut the lid of the first aid box she'd brought out to tend to Lade's bruise.

She didn't sound so pissed, unlike how she'd sounded when she'd caught us at the hallway.

I let out a breath. Hope she wasn't there for long.

"Just friends having a slight disagreement." I answered succinctly.

Even I didn't know what was going on back then. It had been a mix of snide comments, veiled words and glares.

"Friends?" Mum placed the box on an open shelf before making herself comfortable on her chair. "Thought you didn't have any." She derided me, her brows raised up.

"Didn't say they are my friends."

She nodded. "Oh."

"Have you ever gotten into a fight before?" She asked out of the blues.

My brows shut up at her question. Where was this leading to?

"No?" I settled for an answer, curious as to where this was heading. My Mum could be as unpredictable as they came. It was a trait of hers that always threw me off.

She nodded, satisfied with my answer. "Good."

Maybe, she was just trying to make sure her son doesn't reduce himself to someone who does drastic things like fighting.

Didn't she know me? I barely hung out with people, talk more of having the opportunity to get myself into trouble.

"But if one day, you do get into one. Don't be at the receiving end of your opponent's fist." She said firmly, her face was so serious that I didn't think she was joking. "And if you do, make sure your opponent doesn't get the chance to look any better than you do."

I blinked in confusion. "Mum, what's this about?"

She shrugged, leaning back on the backrest. "Life rules and life hacks."

I scoffed. "Seriously."

"You'll thank me for this someday."

I didn't do thuggery but I wasn't about to convince her that she'd never be in the position of stitching me up after I've fought it out with whoever my future opponent was.

"Okay ma. I'll be sure to come thank you when the time comes." I dipped my head in mock curtsey.

It was Mum's turn to scoff before a smile broke off her lips.

"So, Didi." She began, taking in my reaction which remained neutral. "She's the one in the drawing right?"

Didn't know how it happened, but I choked on my own spittle at her words. Ridding me of any chance of denying her words.

I wasn't a good liar by the way.

Mum smirked. "You've gone around drawing girls now Soma."

Recovering from my coughing fit, I managed to throw her a glare. "It's not like that Mum."

She nodded, feigning absolute understanding. "I know baby, it isn't always like that."

Embarrassment filled my every being as I avoided Mum's knowing looks. Now she wasn't going to believe me if I denied anything concerning that annoying girl.

That damn painting! Should have gotten rid of it when Lade and Khalid had seen it a while back. Instead I'd donated it to the gallery and she was in the same gallery as the painting.

Oh shit! I had to get to the drawing fast before the annoying girl sees it. If she sees it? I shook out the thought. Didn't want to imagine her seeing a drawing of herself. A detailed drawing of her face! Drawn by me!

C'mon, how would that make me look?

My status would automatically change into a stalker in her eyes.

Quickly, I sprang from my seat, same time someone knocked.

Mum raised her brows at the position I was in, before looking at the door.

"Come in."

My heart took a wild rhythm, beating like it was about to pop out of my chest in seconds.

I needed to get out. I needed that painting out of this place.

My reputation depended on it.

The door opened and behold, speak of the devil and he shall appear.

Didi popped her head in, an easy smile resting on her lips. And when her eyes met mine, it turned into one filled with mischief.

I scowled. She was so annoying.

"Hi Miss Venita." She greeted cheerfully once she spotted Mum.

"Come in Didi," Mum smiled, looking so pleased you'd think she found her best friend.

"Hope I didn't catch you at the  wrong time?" The annoying girl entered the cosy office, looking so respectful you wouldn't second guess her actions.

I let out another scoff.

Mum's smile widened. "Not at all." She stood up, picking up her cellphone. "Actually, Soma and I were heading out. I didn't know you are friends with My son."

"Your Son?!"

"We are not friends!"

Didi and I said in unison, causing a pleased smile to appear on Mum's lips as she raised a brow.

She faced Didi. "I see Soma hasn't told you about me."

The shock on Didi's face was apparent. She shook her head. "Not at all Miss Venita. I swear, I didn't know you are his mother."

I groaned in frustration. "That's because we're not friends!"

A very dramatic gasp escaped Didi's lips as she clutched her chest in mock betrayal.

I narrowed my eyes, suspecting her every action. What in the world was she up to?

"You have the mind to deny our friendship after practically begging me to get into your car?"

Oh Jesus!

Mum's eyes widened as curiosity replaced her teasing expression.

I glared at the frustratingly annoying girl, looking between she and Mum.

"Mum, don't listen to her!" I groaned helplessly when Mum's face was morphing into a fucking knowing smile. "I didn't beg her to enter into any car."

Didi's expression was priceless. Large eyes bulging out, mouth hanging open. "Somadina? Seriously? You even played with NaeNae."

I almost groaned. How could someone lie through her teeth like that? "I'm not denying giving you a ride, I didn't fucking beg you!"

"Language Soma!" Mum was quick to warn, that darn annoying smile still on her lips.

"Sorry Mum." I muttered begrudgingly, glaring at a smirking Didi.

Mum stepped around her desk as she took Didi's arm. "Pay him no heed dear. Soma denies his friends all the time. It isn't a rare sight."

Nodding in feigned understanding, Didi eagerly linked arms with my mother. "I saw for myself Miss Venita."

"Oh silly, call me Aunty Vee if you don't mind." Mum beamed. "All Soma's friends address like that."

"Sure Aunty Vee."

I watched in horror as they headed to the door, arms locked like they were long lost best friends.

This better be some bad daydream.

Shaking the thought off, I straightened myself. They should do whatever pleased them, I thought. As I hastened my step, mind set on getting the damn drawing out of the vicinity.

"Mum," I called, rushing past them. "I'll see you later. I'm headed to my stand."

"Walk with us Soma, we are headed same direction." She turned to Didi. "Hope you don't mind."

The annoying girl smirked when I shook my head vehemently, silently begging her to refuse. Her eyes shining in pure mischief as she turned to Mum.

"Not at all Aunty Vee."

Fucking annoying!

I glared at her as she smiled at me, the smile coming off as 'told you so' instead of the sweetness it was masked in.

That sneaky-

The annoying girl grinned. I could see the new swing in her steps.

"Great!" Mum almost cheered. "Didi, did Soma tell you what a good artist he is?" She asked excitedly immediately we entered the display room.

My heart sank as the words left her lips. What have I done to deserve such a day?

The music still played softly and the guests were still as enthusiastic as ever.

"No he didn't." That was the only honest thing that left her mouth since she began talking to Mum. "I'm sure he was too shy to say it."

"I doubt that. Maybe he was trying to surprise you." Mum supplied succinctly. "Have you seen his works?"

"No. He's exhibiting here too?" Didi's voice held a hint of awe or maybe, it was my imagination.

Mum nodded, beaming proudly like I handed her the moon. "We're heading to his stand. Soma's works are so good, you'll love to have them for yourself."

My entire being was alerted as Mum's words sank in. She was taking her to where?

My stand? Where undeniably, her drawing was?

I hadn't even bothered to check my stand. People who stood at their stands were people who cared to explain the details of their works and yada yada... All was to impress everyone who was willing to listen and heaven knew I was not cut out for that sort of ass kissing conversation.

Ignoring Mum and the annoying girl, I walked ahead, intent on reaching my stand before them.

Hell would have to freeze if she sees a drawing of herself, drawn by me. It would be a nightmare I wasn't ready to experience. Not now, not ever.

"Slow down baby." Mum said behind me, like they were hot on my heels. "We're all heading to the same place."

I almost died of tension as I walked slow enough to have them walking beside me.

My life was over.

Didi was going to let me relieve this moment over and over again if she sees her drawing.

And as we drew near my stand, I felt perspiration gather on my temple and running down my back.

This was it.

I fought the urge to shut my eyes as I didn't want to see whatever reaction she was going to make.

"Wow." Didi exclaimed beside me once we reached the stand.

She's seen it. She has fucking seen it.

I looked elsewhere.

"I know right?" Mum agreed proudly. "I told you he was good."

"They're almost so real." Didi went on, marvelling at the works before her.

I was swimming in a sea of confusion. Why wasn't she making any self praising or teasing comment?

Was she purposely ignoring the drawing?

"Damn Soma." She let out again. "One of these days, I'm going to get you to draw a portrait of me."

Slowly, I directed my gaze to the wall covered with framed drawings and paintings. The shocking realization I received had me sighing out in utter relief, just in time Mum's laugh rang out as she said knowingly.

"Oh dear, he will."

The damn drawing wasn't there.

Pheew.

•••

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

The Progress By gone

Teen Fiction

3.3K 675 27
Somewhere, surrounded by a seemingly impenetrable blockade of trees lies a summer camp. Its name: 𝐂𝐚𝐦𝐩 𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐬 and its goal: 𝙧𝙖𝙞𝙨𝙚...
350K 9.7K 56
NOTE: (editing is minor. This is a rough copy) "So, girls, how's it going?" I inserted myself. They peer over their shoulders at the same time, face...
263K 10.8K 25
"I knew if I wanted a relationship, I should find someone else. But I didn't want anyone else and I still don't." I managed to take his arm from arou...
3.6K 906 70
" Olivia, I liked you from the moment you hiccuped your way into my life. It's funny really but it's the truth. I also wasted a lot of time and this...