Aglahad and the Dead City (In...

By arteithon

Siriondil, now in the service of Dol Amroth, has been dragged along by Aglahad on the future Prince's latest... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
Afterword
Appendix

17

2 0 0
By arteithon

The mountains rose like a vast wall before us. There were no foothills in eastern Lindon. The plains gradually rose from the banks of the Lhûn to the feet of the mountains forty leagues to the west. The broken peak of Mount Dolmed pierced the sky like a gigantic fang.

Aglahad seemed to be in awe as the horses trotted along the road. "It is as though the Valar split the mountain asunder."

"They did," I replied.

The road was virtually non-existent now, carpeted by moss and short grass. But it was firm and even and as straight as the day before. The trotting horses often broke into a canter and even a gallop at times. Soon though, the road dipped down towards the Hadhothir, the river that had its source high up in the mountains near Nogrod. It wound, shallow and narrow across the plains to the Lhûn behind us. The road curved to the left as it followed the riverbank and we had to slow as we entered a grove of pines. Some trees had taken root on the road itself and we had to weave among the trunks as the land rose towards the valley ahead. The air here was heavy with the scent of lhuglam and aglarithil. I asked the others to rest a while so that I could collect some for my pack.

The roar of rapids filtered through the trees as we followed the road to the north. It climbed a slope above the river before turning back to the west and levelling off. Here the pine grove abruptly ended. Before us, stretching across the whole valley, was a grey wall of fallen rock. The mountains on either side rose steeply from the valley bottom.

"It appears we will have to continue on foot," I said.

Aglahad stared at me. "No. I cannot leave Bronweg here in the wild."

Lofar patted his pony's neck. "Even these hardy fellows couldn't climb that scree, laddie."

"But what if that – thing is still following?"

"Is Bronweg not one of the Mearas?" I said. "The steed of Araw himself sired her. She has more wit and courage than you believe, Aglahad. Leave her with the others. I assure you, they will all be here when we return."

Aglahad stroked Bronweg's neck and whispered in her ear then dismounted. We filled our skins from the slow waters above the rapids then ate the pears that we'd found growing back along the road.

"Take nothing you can spare," Finduilas said.

"Does everyone have a blanket?" Lóni said. "It will be a cold sleep these coming nights."

Aglahad kissed Bronweg on the nose then left her with Losnoron and the other mounts. We followed the road, such as it, was until we saw it disappear under the vast hill of rubble. Off to the north, high above, I discerned a path leading over the lower slopes of the mountain and above the rock fall.

We trudged north along the tree line, before starting the gentle climb up the scree, clambering over grey rocks and around huge, jagged boulders. The rock fall skirted the shoulder of the mountain. There was no green here and the shadow of the mountain gave the climb a desolate, even disheartening feel.

After an hour or so we climbed into the afternoon light and left the top of the rock fall behind. We rested and looked down into the valley. I saw Aglahad looking down on the trees, trying to spot Bronweg.

Lofar puffed for breath. "It almost seems like this barrier was built this way."

"Aye," said Lóni, "some kind of dam or indeed, a wall."

To the west, the forest flooded the valley floor and swept up the mountainsides where it crashed in great, green waves. The sheer, grey cliffs above rose to lofty, jagged peaks. A winding groove traced the path of the river through the forest from the foot of the hill of boulders. And far beyond, the valley floor narrowed and then ended where the feet of the mountains came together.

"It would be easier to stay above the treeline," Finduilas suggested, "now we are here."

"I, for one, agree," Lofar said.

"If we all approve," I said, looking at the nodding Aglahad, "we shall keep to the high ground."

The way became steeper and straighter now, rising into the cloudless afternoon sky. Our new elevation revealed snow-tipped peaks far to the west. The sheer south face of Mount Dolmed towered above the surrounding peaks. As the afternoon advanced, it became clear that the valley, rather than ending abruptly at the foot of the mountains, doglegged sharply northward.

After a while we reached the brow of the slope at the shoulder of the mountain. I leaned on my staff as we all rested. We were all exhausted but something else besides the long climb took my breath as we stood, gazing down along the valley.

"Behold," Lóni said. "Azaghâl the Great." The brothers dropped to their knees and started to murmured some incantation in Khuzdul.

"Did you know of this?" Finduilas said to me.

Below us, blocking the entire valley, was an immense granite edifice in the likeness of the ancient Lord of Belegost. Before him, the valley floor was bare, as though the forest dared not grow too close to him. He stood proudly, dressed in full armour, masked and helmed. In his great, gloved fists he held a mighty axe, the double head flat against his chest like a shield. The haft was planted on the ground between his immense boots where the Dwarf Road split before running through a tunnel between his feet.

"I have not seen this before," I murmured eventually. "Nor did I ever hear of its making."

The Dwarves finished paying their respects then raised their heads and slowly rose to their feet. I had never before witnessed any Dwarf revere their ancient Kings in such a way and I must admit, I was deeply moved.

"Why is his face covered?" said Aglahad.

"He wears the armour that defied Glaurung's fire," Lóni explained, "during the Battle of Unnumbered Tears."

"Glaurung, Father of Dragons," I said in wonder. I turned to the twins. "It is said he was grievously injured by Azaghâl that day."

"Let us have a wander down there," Lofar said, grinning. "I would have a closer look before my days end."

We all silently agreed to grant the Dwarves this indulgence and started the descent. Up ahead, a field of scree covered the path. An elk walked down the slope and turned its head toward us before bounding off along the shoulder of the mountain. We followed the closer edge of the scree down towards to the valley floor.

I realised the sheer scale of the statue as we descended towards the head. The mask was plain and wedge-shaped with a ridge running down the centre. Between the mask and the helm was carved a horizontal eye-slit. The whole thing gave me an uneasy feeling as we clambered down the slope.

"I fancy the Lord of Belegost peers at us in our passing," Lofar said ominously.

"Perhaps it is not fancy," I said. "I feel it too. I have heard of the watching stones of the Woodmen of Brethil. They carved statues in their likeness and imbued them with strange power, standing as guardians on the borders of their lands."

"Not even the ancients of Belegost had such power," Lóni scoffed.

"Perhaps it is possessed by some other power," Finduilas offered. "Some malicious spirit of evil vigilance."

"You feel it also?" Aglahad said.

Finduilas nodded. "We should make for the valley behind, as soon as we are able."

We agreed by quickening our pace. The path levelled off as we passed Azaghâl's huge left shoulder; soon we were scrambling across the scree. I felt a wave of relief as we passed out of the statue's line of sight. Soon, the broad back of the ancient king was behind us, blocking out the sky to the south. In the valley below, the Old Dwarf Road ran northwards for a couple of miles until it was swallowed by forest. We agreed as we walked that we should stay among the pathless heights. None of us relished the thought of negotiating the rock falls that covered many parts of the valley floor.

"I remember the Doors of Belegost were set in the summit of the pass," I said. "But on the southern side."

"Then we should look where the road climbs up the far side of the valley," Lofar said.

"Perhaps at first light," said Finduilas. "We should first seek out some cave or hollow to make camp."

As the sun dipped behind the western peaks, I espied the road rising from the forest.

"There!" I called out, pointing across the valley. "Do you see it?"

"I see it," said Aglahad. "Perhaps we should make camp under cover of the forest."

"I see nothing barring our way," conceded Finduilas.

"Then let us find the road," said Lofar, "and be content with a day's work." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.4K 522 53
"To fight evil; you must first understand the dark." From the blood of Dragons, a child shall rise, Born of fire and fear, her fate sealed with lies...
3.4K 93 23
Here I am back again with my Elfling series here is book l all over again If you haven't read The first or second, third or fourth book then I would...
525 235 56
This is book 3 in the LOTR series... Before you read any further, make sure to read the first few books, or else this will ruin the entire story for...
1.1K 47 10
Once the darkness rises once more, a girl from the stars is bound to fall. Upon her arrival the One will be revealed and the light will slowly start...