You

By twdeadrry

Jade was selected from her group to be held prisoner at The Sanctuary following Negan's initial display of po... More

Prologue
Ch. 1 - Curtain Raiser
Ch. 2 - Suite Life
Ch. 3 - First-time Jitters
Ch. 4 - Average Joe
Ch. 5 - Observations
Ch. 6 - Birthday Girl
Ch. 7 - Afterparty
Ch. 8 - Late Night Talking
Ch. 9 - It's On Me
Ch. 10 - Already
Ch. 11 - Obviously
Ch. 12 - Soul
Ch. 13 - Facade
Ch. 14 - Pinky Promise
Ch. 15 - Coexist
Ch. 16 - First Dance
Ch. 18 - Broken
Ch. 19 - You
Ch. 20 - Avoidance
Ch. 21 - Bias
Ch. 22 - Dreamboat
Ch. 23 - Medicine
Ch. 24 - Septenary
Ch. 25 - Negan
Ch. 26 - Long Dozen
Ch. 27 - Shadow Hunters

Ch. 17 - Get Out

166 7 2
By twdeadrry

My eyes were locked on the boiling pot before me as I continued to stir the pasta. A brief pause lingered, I assumed Negan was furiously thinking of a response until Dwight spoke again.

"D'you wanna send a squad after him?" Dwight spoke. Again, Negan failed to respond momentarily. Then, he spoke sternly.

"No," the door slammed shut, shaking the walls to which it was attached. I pulled myself out of my trance and began to stir the pasta frantically. Negan's heavy footsteps approached behind me, his walk giving away his mood before he even spoke to me. 

"You fuckin' know anything about that, hm?" He investigated, his breath warming the skin on my neck. I continued stirring, my pace now slow and steady.

"About what?" I responded.

"Your little hometown fuck-buddy is missing," he sneered as he backed away from me, now heading toward his dining table.

"Okay, first of all, Daryl and I were not fuck buddies," I said as I spun to face him, pointing at him with the spoon. "But I might know something about it," I dribble out, deciding that telling him the truth is the best way to handle it. He stops in his tracks, standing just past the opposite side of the countertop. He turned around making eye contact with me and stepped forward to the counter. As he approached, he slowly yet firmly, grasped the edge of the surface. I dropped my hand to my side.

"What the fuck," he clenched his jaw before he continued, "did you fucking do?"

I chewed the corner of my lip as I began to bat my eyes. I had to respond, but I couldn't find myself to answer him. I almost felt guilty for what I did, but I couldn't because I did what was right for my people.

"I let him go before the party," I answered honestly.

"Jade," he growled as he slowly closed his eyes, followed by a loud huff through his nostrils. "Please tell me you're just tryna pull my balls right now," he brought one hand up to his face, rubbing his fingers down his features and through his facial hair.

"I'm telling you the truth-" I spit out, Negan smacking his palm firmly on the surface in response. 

"Why the fuck would you let him go?" He boomed, his eyes locked with mine in a fury. 

"I think it's a step in the right direction," I said calmly in an attempt not to escalate the situation. Negan was aggressive when he was upset, and he still kind of scared me. "The Saviors have to earn their trust, Negan."

"The Saviors don't give a fuck about trust," he snapped. I furrowed my eyebrows and cocked my head to the side, suddenly feeling very irritated.

"Well, I do," I spoke firmly. "So does Rick, and so do the Alexandrians." He stayed silent, his eyes hadn't left mine for a beat. "I made the call so we can start moving forward from all this shit," I said as I flailed my arms around, before turning back to check on the noodles. As I swirl the spoon in the water, I decide the pasta looks cooked through, and take one out to test it. After confirming my thoughts, I went to drain the pasta in the sink using the lid with the pot.

"I do not believe that was your goddamn call, Jade," he began to raise his voice.

"Well," I began to speak as I shook the last of the water out of the pot. "It was my decision alone, so if you're going to punish someone, let it be me."

Negan remained silent as I brought the pot back to the stovetop. I made my way to the fridge, opening it and reaching for the milk bottle and jar of butter inside. I closed the refrigerator door with my foot, brought the ingredients to the counter next to the stove, and then removed the lid from the pot. I poured in the milk first, then added a heaping spoonful of butter, and finally ripped open the cheese packet, stirring it all together. Once the ingredients incorporated themselves, I grabbed the butter and milk and put them back in the fridge, closing it with my hand.

"Get out," he said lowly as I reached for two bowls. I froze as I began to pull them down, deciding to put one bowl back. I continued to close the cabinet door and then brought the bowl next to the pot, promptly grabbing the spoon and heaping the food into the bowl.

"If you want them to produce more, they need to trust you," I said, "and they need Daryl-"

"I said, get out," Negan repeated himself, raising his voice again. I smacked the spoon into the bowl with its final scoop and spun on my heel to face him where he stood, still gripping the countertop with his large hands. I walked over to him, setting down the bowl of macaroni and cheese in front of him aggressively.

"I do not want you killing anybody," I spoke hopefully, knowing that was invariably a possibility with Negan. "I don't anybody trying to kill you, either," I dropped my head a smidge to look into his eyes as he hung his head. As I scanned over his features, I realized he wasn't going to say much more.

I made my way to the door, walking around the counter space and into the living room, my heels lightly clacking against the flooring. Taking one of the doorknobs in my hand, I pushed the exit open with the side of my body. I looked back to find Negan's back turned to me, he hadn't moved an inch.

"I just thought I would be honest," I said as I stepped through the threshold, closing the door behind me. Fuck, my conscious spoke, I hope I haven't fucked this all up. I stormed down the hall and to the stairwell, descending to my floor. I hurriedly made my way to my bedroom door, promptly opening it and locking it behind me. Tonight was supposed to be an amazing night.

-

After a few hours of tossing and turning in bed, I found myself shuffling through the hallways toward the nearest exit. I couldn't sleep and I wanted to look at the stars, hoping my dad could give me advice from the sky. As I approached a set of double doors with steel bars across the middle, I pushed one bar in and the latch opened, sending the door forward. I was met by the cool night air. I stepped outside and gently closed the door behind me, not wanting to attract any attention. I walked to the nearest picnic-style table and hopped onto the surface, laying my back against the wooden planks and looking up to the night sky.

I'd been avoiding Negan for the past few days after our argument, although it didn't require much effort, because he seemed to be avoiding me too. I anticipated his outburst, but I didn't expect him to turn a blind eye to my existence for three days straight. After steering away from the conversation with Harry and Sherry throughout the first two days, I explained the situation earlier tonight before curfew. 

'He kissed you?'  Sherry asked as her jaw dropped in excitement.

She had wanted Jade to become a wife since she met her, but the other wives weren't too keen on the idea. Quite honestly, neither was Jade. Her attraction to Negan was difficult to dispute, but she held herself to a higher standard. She was a one-partner kind of woman, and she was not the type of person to let her voice go unheard. If she had an opinion, she would share it, and Negan made decisions she would disagree with on occasion.

'Don't get all stirred up yet,' Jade said as she readjusted herself in Harry's desk chair, facing him as he sat on the floor of his bedroom, back against the bed and angled in Jade's direction. Sherry was laying flat on her stomach with her legs hanging off the side opposite of Harry, her face propped up on the heels of her palms as she listened intently. 'Then Dwight showed up, and he said that Daryl went missing.'

'Oh, Jade,' Harry sulked as his head dropped, knowing exactly where her story was going. Sherry shot her head down to look at the side of Harry's face, then quickly averted her gaze back up to Jade, struggling to catch up to speed. She drew in a long, sharp breath as she ultimately understood.

'You were the one who let Daryl go?' She queried gently, cautious not to be overheard by passersby. Jade nodded in response, then continued to explain her reasoning behind her actions.

'I told you he'd let you burn this place to the ground if you wanted,' Sherry gloated only a second too early.

'He hasn't spoken to me in three days, Sher,' Jade said as she cocked an eyebrow, tilting her head in Sherry's direction. Her face fell at Jade's words for just a moment before a grin appeared again.

'He'll come around,' she nodded her head.

Only he hadn't, and Jade wasn't sure if he would. She hoped that Sherry was right, maybe Negan was just taking his time before speaking to Jade again. Jade wouldn't be able to bear the guilt of Negan taking her actions out on the people of Alexandria.

My chest fell as I released the breath I had been holding in. My eyes bounced from star to star in the dark sky. I could always count on the stars to be there, maybe that's why I associated them with my father so much, they were both reliable. I wish he were here, he would've known exactly what to say to me.

As long as you follow your heart, everything will work out, he would tell me. 

The door behind me opened with a faint click, and I turned my head upward to the left to see a silhouette making its way over to me. The floodlights slowly began to light a pair of boots, then black jeans followed by a white top, before Negan's face became visible. I rolled my head back in its former position, looking up at the stars. His steps drew closer as the grass rustled beneath the soles of his boots, and his face peeked into my field of view as he stood over me.

"Hey," he said calmly. "Mind if I join ya?"

I sat up without greeting him, scooting over to the side to make room for Negan's larger frame.

"If I didn't know any better, I'd think you've been avoiding me," I said as he sat down next to me, the outer surface of his jeans touching my nearly bare thigh. I offered him a kind smile when he looked at me and Negan returned the gesture as he placed his hands in his lap.

"I was," he spoke gruffly, his eyes scanning over my body, revealed by my minuscule sleeping attire.

"Well, I was avoiding you too," I said with a hint of humor in my voice. Negan's grin grew wider.

"Were ya, sweetheart?" He chuckled. I nodded in response, earning a hum from the man. We sat in silence as we both read the patterns of the stars.

"I hope you know I'm not sorry for what I did," I spoke first, still looking heavenward.

"I didn't fuckin' think you were," he rebutted lightheartedly, bringing his hand up to scratch the back of his head and catching my attention. I looked over his side profile, my gaze landing on his eyes as he turned to face me.

"I'm sorry I made you upset," my voice came out softly as my eyes jumped between his.

"I'm not upset anymore, darlin'," he explained. "We're making a run to Alexandria tomorrow," he continued before I interjected.

"Didn't we agree on two weeks before our next visit?" I quipped, narrowing my eyes and refusing to break contact.

"That was before you dragged your fucking lady nuts across my face and let Daryl go," he said as the corners of his eyes began to crinkle, a roguish grin creeping onto his lips. "Now look darlin', before you get your panties in a fucking twist, I'm not taking Daryl back. They can keep the redneck fucker for all I care," he said. I slapped his knee with the back of my left hand. "But this can't go unpunished. We're taking their guns and ammunition."

"Negan you can't-"

"Oh yes I fucking can, Jade," he said sternly as he furrowed his eyebrows, my expression mirroring his. "Rules are in place for a reason, and they aren't meant to be broken. I get why you did it, but it was still against the rules. I can't bring myself to throw you in a cell again, so I'm taking their weaponry. No food, no medicine. None of that shit."

I dipped my head and stared at my lap, contemplating what to say to him. I didn't want to piss him off again, it might make the punishment worse.

"Okay," was all I could manage to say when my eyes met his again. He nodded his head a few times before looking back to the sky. I followed his lead and looked upward.

"I'm sorry for ruining our night," Negan spoke, his voice just above a whisper. "I was fuckin' excited to see where it was gonna go," he began to creep his hand onto my bare thigh gently, his fingers just grazing my skin and causing goosebumps. I smacked his hand away. He pulled his hand back rapidly and took hold of it with his opposite hand as he winced.

"The moment's passed," I said, giving him a sardonic grin. Negan's features mirrored my own as a shit-eating grin crept to his lips.

"You don't want me to die, huh?" He asked, the corners of his eyes beginning to crinkle as his smile grew wider.

"Okay," I respond as I hop off of the table's surface. Although, I didn't make it far, as Negan gripped my wrist before I could walk away.

"Hey, c'mon now sweetheart," he cooed as he gently pressed into my skin with his fingertips. "Sit back down, don't fuckin' be like that."

I tilted my head slightly as I raised my eyebrows, rolling my eyes upward.

"I thought what you said was sweet as the goddamn sugar you are," Negan continued as he watched me take my place next to him again.

"Yeah, well don't let that shit go to your head," I rebutted, laying on my back to look at the stars again. A hearty chuckle escaped Negan's lips as he remained seated upright, placing his hands behind him for support. We stared up at the stars together, a pleasant silence shared between the two of us, which was unusual to experience in his presence considering how much he loved to talk.

"You remind me of Lucille," he spoke as if he knew I was enjoying the silence. I turned my head to the left to find Negan looking at me intently, a thoughtful look on his face. I narrowed my eyes in confusion.

"I remind you of your fucking bat?" I questioned, not sure if I should be offended.

"My wife, you dipshit," he said through his laugh.

"What the fuck did I tell you about calling me out of my name?" I sat up and mirrored his body, placing my hands behind my back on the surface of the table to hold me up. I looked him in the eyes as I furrowed my brow, but Negan just smiled.

"That's why, right fuckin' there," he said as he nudged me with his shoulder. "You don't take shit from me."

"Why would I?" I implored.

"Because I'm hot as fuck darling, that's why," Negan responded in a husky tone. I cocked my eyebrow at his statement. He sure as shit isn't humble, I said to myself.

"You don't get a free pass to talk to me that way just because you're hot," I said as I turned back to look at the sky.

"I knew you were into me," he said, earning my attention back. He ran his tongue over his lower lip. "It's not too late you know, there's always room for another wife."

I scoffed in response, before hanging my head and laughing at his comment. I brought one hand forward and scratched the bridge of my nose. "What's so fuckin' funny?" He asked, his voice becoming slightly serious.

"Negan," I sighed, sitting up completely and folding my hands in my lap before I turned to look him in the eyes. "That isn't going to happen, I'm not into the whole polygamy thing, it just isn't my style. If you aren't content with just one wife, don't come knocking on my door."

"So you'd consider it if I dumped the rest?" He quizzed with a hopeful voice. I rose from my seat and shook my head, turning to face him as I crossed my arms over my chest.

"I didn't say that," I huffed. Negan nodded his head steadily as he stuck the tip of his tongue between his teeth, leaning forward to rest his elbows on his knees.

"You sure as shit aren't saying no, honey," he boasted. I rolled my eyes.

"Goodnight, Negan," I said, dipping my head and beginning to walk away. He reached for my arm again, stopping me from leaving.

"I'm going first thing tomorrow," he spoke gently. I shot my head up in his direction, an unmistakeably bewildered look on my face.

"They won't be able to protect themselves, you can't-"

"This isn't up for a goddamn debate, Jade. I'm going and that's fucking final," Negan spoke sternly.

I nodded my head, clenching my jaw and chewing on the inside of my cheek. Without another word, I made my way back to the door from which I came. "Jade," I heard him call out behind me. I swung the door open, leaving it to slam shut behind me with no regard for the loud noise it would produce, and made my way back to my room.

---

A/N

Hi everybody, I hope you're all enjoying the story so far. I don't like stories with authors' notes, so this will probably be my only one. Please vote, comment, add You to a reading list, or share this story, whatever your heart desires. I'm more than happy to interact with y'all in the comments.

For some reason, this chapter was posted without being completely written out. So for the one person who read it before it was finished, my apologies! It's done now, so feel free to read the ending.

Thank you all for reading, I'm so happy we have surpassed 100 reads! I hope you all continue to enjoy Jade's journey at The Sanctuary.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

85 0 5
The daughter of the man who was thought to be the most undefeatable person in the apocalypse. Until they met him... he made her an apostate to her ow...
36.6K 774 15
When Negan's only daughter intervenes to save Glenn and Abraham, she finds herself tossed aside and declared a traitor. Taken in by the people of Ale...
7.2K 154 26
It's six years later after Rick disappeared and Negan got locked up. The communities seemed to be thriving now and everyone working together. But tha...
48.9K 1.2K 26
the dead are walking, the living are feared. in the midst of the apocalypse, you're traded for the lives of your group and put into the hands of the...