Stairways | A Surviving Summe...

By phoebewrites_14

Ari x Reader In the Shorehaven community, you're Y/n, Marlon's sister. After a year out, Ari Gibson is back s... More

Part 1 - Summer's Arrival
Part 2 - Disqualified
Part 3 - Party
Part 4 - Quarters
Part 5 - Training
Part 6 - Work
Part 7 - Ari's house
Part 8 - The Teachers
Part 9 - The Surf
Part 10 - Panic
Part 11 - Jackson Bay
Part 12 - First and Last
Part 13 - Shame
Part 14 - Before
Part 15 - Safe Bet
Part 16 - Apologise
Part 17 - Night Surf
Part 18 - The Reef
Part 19 - Aftermath
Part 20 - 360
Part 21 - Heat
Part 23 -Forgiveness
Part 24 - The Hold Down
Part 25 - VIPs
Part 26 - The Party
Part 27 - Happiness
Part 28 - Deception
Part 29 - The Board
Part 30 - Secrets
Part 31 - Together
Part 32 - Breathe
Part 33 - Guilt
Part 34 - Closer
Part 35 - Surf Trip
Part 36 - Nightmares
Part 37 - Trust
Part 38 - Marlon
Part 39 - Warnings
Part 40 - Secret's Out
Part 41 - Gone
Part 42 - Getting Ready
Part 43 - The Plan
Part 44 - The Before Times
Part 45 - The Jump
Part 46 - Stairway
Part 47 - Falling
Part 48 - Wake Up
Part 49 - Plans
Part 50 - Shouting
Part 51 - Crashers
Part 52 - Alliance
Part 53 - Mood
Part 54 - Dare
Part 55 - Pizza
Part 56 - Thank You
Part 57 - The Ferry
Part 58 - In Time
Part 59 - Amends
Part 60 - Caught
Part 61 - Trouble
Part 62 - Break
Part 63 - Hints
Part 64 - The Airport
Part 65 - Simple
Part 66 - Season 1 Epilogue
Part 67 - Season 2 Prologue
Part 68 - Close
Part 69 - Selection
Part 70 - Pink
NOT AN UPDATE
Part 71 - Baxter
Part 72 - The State Team
Part 73 - Wren
Part 74 - Espresso
Part 75 - Team
Part 76 - Lunch
Part 77 - Team Bonding
Part 78 - Meeting
Part 79 - Deception: Part 2
Part 80 - Fire
Part 81 - Distance
Part 82 - Break Up
Part 83 - Strangers
Part 84 - Frozen
Part 85 - Help
Part 86 - Talent Search
Part 87 - Sabotage
Part 88 - Byron Bay
Part 89 - Makeup
Part 90 - Photos
Part 91 - Reputation
Part 92 - Blame
Part 93 - Disgrace
Part 94 - Party Planning
Part 95 - Passion
Part 96 - Fight
Part 97 - Morning
Part 98 - The Board (Part 2)
Part 99 - Decode

Part 22 - Jealously, Jealousy

2.8K 58 7
By phoebewrites_14

You stumble backwards over the threshold of the door, gripping the frame as you watch Poppy and Ari. For some reason you can't seem to take your eyes off them. Suddenly, you hear voices coming up the driveway and you carefully push the door back into place and sprint round the corner. It's Manu and Prawnie.

The last thing you hear before you leave the house is Poppy shouting at her brothers as they interrupt.

You don't feel like getting home fast, so you walk your bike down the road. It's almost dark now, which you're glad about, for you're afraid if it was daytime you might get so incoherently angry at the sun for being so bright when all you feel is rage.

If this is how much Ari values his relationships then you don't want anything to do with him, you think. Except, you really do. So much for thinking you had an easy relationship with him. Gone are the days where you could mock Marlon for his girl troubles. Thinking of Marlon, you pray to god he never finds out about any of this - he'd be bad enough if he knew about you and Ari's relationship before, but now that you've technically been cheated on (can you call it that?), he'd be utterly unbearable.

Your thoughts must have occupied your mind for too long, for you seem to get home within minutes of leaving Poppy's. You throw your bike in the garage, not bothering to place it in the rack, and climb the stairs one by one.

"Y/n! Where have you been?" You hear your mum call up the stairs in Portuguese as you reach the top.

"Nowhere." You reply.

"Nowhere? You better not have been surfing, the conditions tonight are terrible and Manu told
me you guys shouldn't overdo it-" she carries on but you block out the rest as you shut your door.

You wonder if Ari saw you. And if he did does he feel regret? Does he even care? You never even thought there was anything between him and Poppy. You know they've known each other for much longer than you have, but they always just seemed like friends. Suddenly you remember Poppy's tiny confession on the roof in Jackson Bay: she raised her hand slightly when Summer asked if anyone had ever had a crush on anyone sat there.

God, you need to stop thinking about this now. Your mind is too crowded with images of Ari and Poppy, their lips touching as they thought no one could see. You need to sleep. The quarters are tomorrow. Maybe then you can get some answers.

______________________

You're convinced that the image of Ari and Poppy is burned in your mind. It's all you can see as you and Marlon walk down to the club in the morning. 

You put your board in the back of the club van, along with your bag and wetsuit, then jump in the backseat. You can hear Poppy talking to Summer outside, but for some reason Bodhi isn't around yet.

You nearly jump when you feel someone slide in next to you.

"Hey, I thought you were coming to Poppy's last night. What happened?"

You don't look round, but you know it's Ari.

"Oh, so you wanted me there?" you snap back.

"Of course I did." he edges closer to you, but there's obvious tension in the air. "Are you okay? You're acting weird."

"I'm fine. Did you have a good time last night then?" You say emotionless. 

He hesitates, taking a deep breath. "Actually I wanted to talk to you about something."

You raise an eyebrow, expecting him to confess what happened.

"I think Poppy might have a thing for me."

Your eyes widen, about to mention how Poppy's 'thing' for him may have been fuelled by the fact that he was kissing her last night, and it's probably not a good idea to start talking to someone you've been kissing for the last few weeks about it, but Summer and Poppy jump in the seats in front of you, cutting off the conversation. 

You spend the rest of the journey in silence, staring out the window as you go past all the Subtropix decorations and stalls as you near the beach.

Your mind is so cluttered as you wax up your board and you almost miss your cue to line up for the start of your heat.

For this round, you're up against Poppy and Bodhi, which should be pretty tough, but you look down the line and Bodhi is a no show. You nearly turn to ask Poppy where she is but then remember you're annoyed at her or whatever. Also, when you lay eyes on her all you see is her and Ari.

The horn blares, signalling that you need to start paddling out. You're a couple of steps behind the others, however, as you barely hear the horn and only start running when you see the other competitors have started. Focus, you scold yourself. Your mind is elsewhere.

The water seems colder than usual as you paddle over a set until you're past the break. Sheridon's  also in the heat, sat on her board a few metres away from you. It's only a few minutes until the next set arrives, the first few waves making your board bob beneath you before the real waves start rolling in. 

You take the wave, but you're not concentrating - Sheridon was in priority, and you jump off your board to move out of her way; if you'd caught the wave your score wouldn't even have counted.

But you aren't concentrating. Again. You dive straight in the direction of the shallowest part of the reef. You're not as familiar with this break as you are with the one at Shorehaven, but you've surfed here enough times to know where the dangerous parts are. 

You feel the tension in your leg rope increase until it snaps, your board no longer pulling you to the surface. Suddenly, you're pushed down even further, so close to the reef you feel coral cut the sleeve off your wetsuit as you try to steady yourself under the unforgiving waves. But you know you've been under for way too long now. Before you black out, you remember thinking one thing.

This is all Ari's fault.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.2K 233 15
A troubled teen from New York gets sent to Los Angeles, California and is forced to live with her mothers old best friend. She learns what it means t...
5.8K 86 25
Moving to a new place might seem like it would be good and you'd get to start over but not when you find yourself in the same situation just differen...
662 1 12
In which an English girl goes to Shorehaven for the summer only to face the struggles of lust, love and tragedy.
23.1K 332 16
"Some mistakes take us to the right place" "If we are not brave enough to say the words our eyes will" ------------------------ A girl who is scared...