Finding My Normal

By vm-pb-sn

After Sang's family died she was moved from foster home to foster home. She has finally found a new life wit... More

Ch 1: One Step at a Time
Ch 2: My First Friend
Ch 3: Tackling the Assignment
Ch 4: Porcelain Peek-A-Boo
Ch 5: Mall Adventure
Ch 6: Fountain of Gods
Ch 7: Academy Files- Sang on the Case
Ch 8: Sang in a Tree
Ch 9: A Birthday to Remember
Ch 10: Nightmare on Sang Street
Ch 11: Meeting Betsy
Ch 12: Proposals, Cheers and Red Gummy Bears
Ch 13: To Ask or Not to Ask
Ch 15: Secret Admirer or Stalker?
Ch 16: Torn to Pieces
Ch 17: Cheer Hell
Ch 18: Meeko
Ch 19: A Night with Gabe Keeps the Worries Away
Ch 20: How Do You Spell Trouble?
Ch 21: Empty Hallways
Ch 22: Drop of Doubt 2.0
Ch 23: Sparks Ignite
Ch 24: Where There's Smoke
Ch 25: There's Fire
Ch 26: The Raven Was Called Sin
Ch 27: Sweet Dreams
Ch 28: Trouble's in Trouble. Again.
Ch 29: Owen vs. Sang
Ch 30: Face Off
Ch: 31 Within the Lines
Ch 32: Spy Girl Sang
Ch 33: I Spy an Amatuer
Ch 34: Confronting My Nightmares
Ch 35: Who is the Big Bad Wolf?
Ch 36: Private Eyes
Ch 37: Into the Woods
Ch 38: Sang's Balloon
Ch 39: May the Odds be Ever in Your Favor
Ch 40: Ghosts, Snakes and Panties Oh My!
Ch 41: From C to Shining D
Ch 42- Swing My Heart Across the Line
Ch 43: Kumbaya
Ch 44: Communication Intercepted
Ch 45: Déjà Vu
Ch 46: Breaking News
Ch 47: Working on Overdrive
Ch 48: Secrets
Ch 49: Rah-Rah-ah-ah-ah!
Ch 50: Tales
Ch 51: Happily Never After
Ch 52: En Prise
Ch 53: Family Fun Time
Ch 54: Happy Birthday to Me!
Ch 55: Wake Up Call
Ch 56: Trapped Ghosts
Ch 57: Things of My Nightmares
Ch 58: A Rose by any Other Name
Ch 59: Kotov Syndrome
Ch 60: A Message From Volto
Ch 61: On the Hunt
Ch 62: Five Years Ago
Ch 63: Blindsided
Ch 64: Inside the Mind of Perfection
Ch 65: Sisters Grimm
Ch 66: Running Out of Time
Ch 67: A Mother and her Bird
Ch 68: The First Family Meeting
Ch 69: The First Betrayal
Ch 70: Caught in a Web of Lies
Ch 71: Friends vs. Family
Ch 72: Lessons Learned
Ch 73: Blank Space
Ch 74: The Accident
Ch 75: My Chance
Ch 76: Reflection
Ch 77: Silver Lining
Ch. 78: Play Time
Ch 79: Marie
Ch 80: Finding My Normal
Ch 81: Epilouge
Ch 82: Clues
Ch 83: Finding My Family

Ch 14: Front Seat, Back Set, Passenger Seat Driver...and Sang

3.4K 278 75
By vm-pb-sn

I race into the house yelling at the top of my lungs, "Dad!!!  Dad!!!  Where are you?"

I hear the footsteps of my parents thundering down the stairs, "Babykins what happened?  Are you okay?", my Mom asks me in a panic.  I didn't mean to frighten them, but I guess I was being kind of loud.

"I'm fine, nothing's wrong.  I just wanted to tell you guys Kota said he would meet you and take the driving test.  He said he could do it tonight if you wanted."

"That's a hundred bucks!  I told you he would do it!"

My dad grumbles and hands over the cash for the bet they apparently made while I was at Nathan's.  I'm not sure if I should be mad, but I am so excited about driving with Kota tomorrow that I just ignore it.  I shouldn't get my hopes up too fast...Kota still needs to pass Dad's "test".  And I know he has some tricks up his sleeve. My dad gives driving training to many Academy members, I hope he's not thinking of using any of those techniques today.

DING DONG!

My parents go silent at the sound of the doorbell.  We never had visitors at our old house so they probably don't even know what a doorbell sounds like. They all turn to stare at the door like it's the Grim Reaper coming to collect.  I figure it's just Kota, so I head over to answer it. "Hi Kota!  Oh and Nathan, I didn't know you were coming too."

"Yeah I wouldn't miss this for the world!", he says with a grin.  I see Kota shoot him a glare, but he schools his face once he enters my house.

I turn around and don't see my parents anywhere in sight.  Where did they go?

A minute later Dad comes down the stairs. His dark hair with specks of gray is freshly combed back and he his holding his black leather jacket in front of him and when he makes it to the bottom of the stairs he starts to put it on.  That's when I see it.  The t-shirt.  When did he get that?  It's black with white writing on it that says in all capital letters:

I HAVE A BEAUTIFUL

DAUGHTER

I ALSO HAVE

A GUN

A SHOVEL

AND AN ALIBI

Great!  Just great!  Let's just scare my new friends away, not to mention ruin my chances of completing my assignment!  It's not like Kota is asking me out, he's just driving me to school and back.  Now that I think about it, Nathan did ask me on a date.  We never really discussed details, so maybe the date won't happen, but I wonder what he thinks of the shirt?

I look over at the boys and see Nathan swallow a huge gulp.  He scratched the back of his head and starts shifting from foot to foot like he's weighing out his options for escape.  He's not even the one being tested and he's nervous!  I take a glance at Kota and see that he is calm and collected.  How is he not intimidated?  

Kota takes a step forward and sticks out his hand, "Nice to meet you, sir.  I'm Kota."  

I admire how much strength Kota is showing and the slight command in his voice is intriguing.  I wait in silence and hold my breath while my dad takes forever to return the handshake.  He finally does and I let out my breath in a rush.

"So you're the one who's going to drive my Booger around?"

"Dad!!"  I'm completely mortified that he would use his nickname for me in front of my friends.  Looks like he's not only trying to make Kota sweat, but me as well.

"Yes, sir.  It would be my pleasure to drive Sang to and from school.  Nathan is also carpooling with me."  Kota says as he gestures to Nathan who looks like he was trying to blend in with the wall.

"And what are you doing here?" My dad asks Nathan.

"Sir, I wanted to come with you guys on this driving test.  If that's okay with you of course."

"Not a problem, I'll give you a good show", he says with a chuckle.

He thinks this is funny.  I am not laughing Dad!  I say this mentally trying to do that silent communication to him, but he just grins and ruffles the messy bun on top of my head when he heads outside.  Kota, Nathan and I follow, but my mom appears out of nowhere and stops me before I can close the front door.

"Sang, you keep your father in line.  I know you like these boys and I don't want him scaring them off."

I nod and run out to Kota's driveway where Dad and the guys are.  My Dad has his back turned so he doesn't see me coming.  If he had I think he would have stopped the conversation he was having - more like warning if you ask me!

"I know one of you has asked out my Sang.  Keeping quiet now won't do you any good.  So which one of you is it?"

"Sir, we haven't asked her out," Kota replies, "Sang and I are friends, we're in a lot of the same classes."

"Hmmm, well son, I'll tell you this now and I mean every word of it, you better stay 'friends' or you'll have a lot more to deal with than just me." He turns towards Nathan when he says this, "...and you haven't said much.  You like her don't you?"

Both Kota and Nathan glance at each other.  Is Nathan going to confess that he has already asked me out?  Does my Dad know he has already?  And what does this have to do with driving me to school?

Nathan nervously starts to reply, "Ummm...Sang...she's nice.  We just met a few days ago."

Good one Nathan!  Don't answer the question, my dad will never see through that!  I think sarcastically in my head.  I finally make it over to them and tap my dad on the shoulder, "Ready Dad?"

He smiles, "Yes, get in.  So Kota, lets get started.  You're going to take the long way to get to school.  I'll direct." Dad turns to me and grins a wicked smile.

I cannot wait for this ride to be over.

Nathan's POV

————————————————————-

As Sang's dad walks around the car to get in the front passenger seat I open the back car door for Sang so she can get in.  I see a small blush creep up her cheeks and she quietly gives me a, "Thank you".  I wink at her and she giggles.

"AH HA!!" Sang's dad snaps and points his finger at me from the other side of the car, "I knew it was you.  I've got my eye on you; hands to yourself in the car."  He then ducks in and buckles up while I do the same.

I can't believe I just got caught winking at Sang by her dad!!!  I'm so glad Kota is driving.  If I had to take this test I'd piss my pants before I even stuck my key in the ignition. —-wait...what?  Why did I just quote that song?!?!  

I do not know how Kota can be so calm.  Sang's Dad freaks me the fuck out.  My stomach is twisting that he already knows I've asked Sang out.  How can I get out of that now...I don't want her dad getting mad at me for going out with her, but he would also be mad if I backed out.  

Great!  The shit I do to myself.  I have the absolute worst dating luck.  I had my first girlfriend in 7th grade, Danielle, who lives on our street.  Three words to describe that one— WHAT A PSYCHO.  She was whacked!  Always calling me, wanting me to go skinny dipping, being mean to other girls.  She even spied on me, because she thought I was cheating on her!  She was a paranoid girlfriend and then I dumped her and she became a paranoid, psycho stalker ex-girlfriend.  I won't even begin to relive that—it gives me nightmares.  

Over the next couple years I casually dated and those never lasted.  Especially that Tara!  I asked her out Freshman year and she was the worst.  She demanded I take her to the most expensive restaurant in town, then the entire time she talked about herself in the loudest voice possible!!!  People were staring and I was so embarrassed.  Don't even get me started on her laugh— a nasally, high pitched screech that made me want to gouge out my eyes with the butter knife.  Yes—I said eyes.  Her laugh was so irritating it caused my brain to stop functioning properly resulting in wanting to gouge out my eyes instead of eardrums!

Then cute, adorable, sweet Sang falls out of a tree and into my arms.  I swear those fairy tales have it right.  Love at first sight does exist.  I was a little bummed after finding out Kota had met her first.  I thought for sure he would claim her, but he didn't.  And when I saw Victor trying to move in on her, I knew I had to win her over first.

Ahh fuck it!  She might have a crazy dad, but I'm crazy about her.  I'm worried I might scare her, I better keep it simple on our first date.  Yup, I'll finalize the details with her tomorrow.

I hear Sang's dad giving Kota directions for the "long way" to get to school.  I think he's just bullshitting.  He's really going to take us all over town just to see Kota break and then he won't let Sang drive with us. 

"Okay turn here."  I hear him say.

"Umm sir, that's a one way street."

"Good, you're alert!!  I was testing you.  Take the next one where the construction is going on."

Construction?  Great, now Kota's going to have to be extra careful.  What does that sign say?  It's one of those light up signs that blink from one message to the next.  This one says, "CHANGING LANES?," I wait for it to blink to the continuation, "USE YAH BLINKAH".  That's nice, real funny—not!  We don't talk like that by the way.

Kota makes it through the construction area and Sang's dad directs him to head for the highway.  Away from school?  This can't be good.  Kota is merging onto the highway and picking up speed to be able to ease in to the flow of traffic.  Point for Kota.  Okay now he's changing lanes. Kota, use yah blinkah!  I think to myself, then I start laughing to myself.  I'm trying to hold it in, but Sang notices.  

She places her hand on my arm, "Nathan are you okay?"

"I'm fi..."

"HANDS!!!"

Jesus I wasn't even touching her!  Apparently I can't talk to her either.  Sang jumps back to her side of the back seat and we continue watching the show.

"Slow down" he orders Kota.

"I'm going the speed limit, sir."  Kota replies to the order Sang's dad gives him.

"Slow down, it's going to rain tonight you need to drive slow in the rain."

"It's not raining yet."

"No arguing if you want to drive Sang!!"

Kota starts to slow down, just five under the speed limit.  That should appease Sang's dad, but of course it doesn't.  "Slower," he says, "Sloooowwwweeerrrr" he's dragging out the word like it's going to get Kota to drive the same speed as his enunciation.  Why the fuck are we not going the speed limit?

Kota starts to slow even more as he turns his blinker on to change lanes.

"What are you doing, son?"

"I'm just getting out of the fast lane since we are going so slow."

"No, you'll be using the fast lane if you have multiple people in the car.  You need practice and what did I say before?  SLOWER!!!"

Is this dude crazy?  Yeah, let's drive as slowly as possible in the fast lane.  Not only can you get a ticket for speeding, but you can also get a ticket for going too slow.  I see Sang turn her cute little head around and look out the back window.  I turn too and see a shit load of cars backed up behind us.  They are getting antsy at Kota's forced slow driving.  I turn back around and see a black and white car up ahead.  Shit is that a cop?  No. That scared me, ha ha!!  Wait shit THAT is a cop!!

I see the cop car take off and turn on his siren.  Once he's behind us, Kota starts to change lanes, moving all the way to the right shoulder.  Now we are getting a ticket in front of Sang's dad!  On top of that-- it's his fault!!

"License and registration"

Kota leans over to the glove compartment to get the registration and then digs his license out of his wallet.  He hands it over to the cop, who then proceeds back to his vehicle and starts typing things into his computer.  When he comes back he asks Kota, "Do you know why you were pulled over?"

"I was driving too slow."  Kota mumbles.

"That's correct and why may I ask were you driving so slow?"

Awkward!!!  The guy sitting in the passenger seat is the reason, but Kota would never admit that to the cop.  I wonder if he's going to lie.  No that would look bad in front of Sang's dad too.  Crap, I have no idea what Kota's going to say.

"Sir, I just made the wrong decision.  I'll drive the speed limit from now on."

At this Sang's Dad jumps into the conversation, "Andy!  Long time no see, how are the kids?"

Andy the policeman leans into the driver's side window looking over at Sang's Dad, "Hank?  I knew that was you!"

"Listen Andy, it was my fault we were going so slow, give the kid a break this time?"

"Sure, sure.  You owe me a favor though!  Don't think I won't collect!"

"I wouldn't dream of it.  See you around."

That was a close one.  If Sang's Dad didn't know the cop, Kota would have probably gotten a ticket.  As the cop takes off Sang's dad turns to Kota, "Son, take the next exit.  Last test before we get to the school and head back."

Last test?  No way in hell this was a set up.  Or maybe it was?  I look over at Sang and she looks pissed with her arms crossed like that.  I think she's mad at her dad and his shenanigans.  Kota exits the highway and we are driving on a pretty empty street.  That is until a silver BMW, a white van and a black SUV show up.  The van swoops in front of us and slows down.  Oh look at this guy going slow in front of us—idiot.  And what's with the SUV speeding around us??  MANIAC DRIVER!!  The van is still going slow in front of us, the SUV made a right turn and the BMW is now tailgating us!

Sang doesn't seem to notice anything is up, because she is still glaring daggers at the back of her dad's seat, but I have a bad feeling about this.  I turn in my seat to try and catch a glimpse of who is in the car but the windows are so dark.  Sang's dad isn't saying anything right now and the eerie silence is foreboding.  I catch him pull out his cell phone and send a text message.

"Okay, Son.  Your last test is to avoid collision and capture of my daughter.  If you are able to make it to the school and then back to Sunnyvale court with my daughter in tact you pass.  Got it?"

"What are you talking about?  Capture?"  Kota asks while taking a big gulp of air.

We never get an answer or explanation and I just assume it's some sick twisted game Sang's dad likes to play.  The next 10 minutes happen so fast I swear my boxers flew off without even removing my pants first.

I turn back around and see the BMW do a hard left turn and then my eyes meet the headlights of a raging black SUV. "AAAHHHHHH!!!  It's back...Kota watch out!!!"  The SUV speeds towards us and dodges to the right just before it could crash into us, then swoops to the left trying to run us off the road.  Meanwhile the stupid ass van keeps a slow pace in front of us preventing Kota from moving away from the SUV.

"Dad, is that your car?!?!"  Sang finally notices the chaos going on outside our vehicle.  Kota is trying to move around the van, but we are in the farthest left lane and the SUV is blocking on the right.  The only way for Kota to get around the white van is to move into oncoming traffic.  Wait.  There's no one else on the road.  And why are all the lights green?

Kota is still as calm as a cucumber, he pushed up his glasses with his forefinger and announces, "Hold on!!", while he swerves onto the other side of the road trying to pass the van.  Kota speeds up and the van does too.  We are almost neck and neck as I turn around and see the SUV is right behind us never letting up.  We are inching closer and closer to the front when the BMW returns and pulls in on the left side of us.  Matching our speed completely on the wrong side of the rode.

"Oh shit, oh shit, where's the oh shit bar!?!?!!" I scream as I see regular traffic has finally reappeared in front of us.  They are stopped at a red light two blocks away and we still haven't passed the van.  Kota finally starts inching ahead and I get a glimpse of the guy driving the van.  He's has freckles, strawberry blonde hair and is grinning from ear to ear!!  Asshole this isn't funny, we could die!!!

We are one block away and the red light holding back the oncoming traffic has turned green.  The cars are making their way toward us just as Kota overtakes the van and gets back on the right side of the road.  The BMW makes a sharp left and vanishes out of sight while the SUV that was behind us is nowhere to be seen.  I wonder how long ago he had left?  The white van slowly creeps out of my vision, but not before I see him make a turn onto another street and I can't help but think 'use yah blinkah!'

After the fright of the driving adventure I just had, I take a look around.  Kota is mumbling something under his breath.  If it were me I'd be cursing, but I've known this guy my entire life and I just know he's counting.  Sang's Dad has a smug look on his face and Sang is red with embarrassment...I'm shocked she's not scared.  I wonder how many other 'driving tests' she's had to endure?

We just passed the school and are heading back to Sunnyvale Court when I decide to address the big elephant in the car, "So...that test...did Kota pass?"

"Right okay, you pass.  Rules.  One, to school and back.  Two, if you are going anywhere else you must check in with me first.  Three, no hanky panky in the car.  Four, no hanky panky anywhere.  Five, if a hair on my little Booger's head is out of place when she gets home...I know where you live."

Kota parks the car in his driveway and I get out and run over to the other side to open Sang's door.  I look across to her driveway and see the black SUV parked there!!!  I never want to see any of those cars in my life again.  What about when I take Sang on a date?  Oh crap, he's going to make me do this test too!

I say good bye to Sang and just as I'm about to give her a hug I hear, "HANDS!!"  We both jump back and she runs off to her house while I walk back to mine thinking about how tomorrow we will be able to drive Sang to school and how the only 'tests' I want to have from now on are academic ones.

~~~~~~~~~A/N~~~~~~~~~~

I had only planned on using Sang's POV for the entire story except for a couple A Reports, but I needed someone for this chapter who would swear. So that eliminated Kota and Sang! I hope it worked with Nathan's POV :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44K 2.5K 21
NOTE: I'm editing this story now! Not planning on changing any content. I'm just fixing typos, punctuation, grammar, etc. If you see any errors (incl...
317K 13.7K 82
This is a Fan fiction of Ghost Bird series. I have had this in my head for a while and was going to upload it to another website and then the complic...
411K 24.6K 73
This story is the fanfiction version of In The Shadows written by the amazing Katydids. It is now an original, with a completed first book and the be...
18.7K 1.7K 13
Karen convinces Sang to end her dry spell by participating in a weekend long dating marathon. How many items will Karen and Sang be able to check of...