Worst Cupid Ever

By Precious_Nkem

Genevieve had a crush on her boss. Yes, HAD. After witnessing how much of a cold, dead-on-the-inside grinch h... More

Yep...
He Is Not That Awesome
Invisible
You Must Love Raymond
Going Down The Drain
There's Something In The Cake
Deal?
Shouldn't Have Done That
Your Tears Are Infectious
Show Me His Picture
This is Embarrassing But...
He's Kinda Like Me
Just Do It
Characters
Can I Say The L-Word?
Mama Bear
Sweet Tooth Boss
Bellamy and Jules
Personal Paparazzi
Losing Daylight
You Need To Chill
An Insane Deal
Haruto's Decision
Teacher's Favourite
Haruto's Request
Raymond and Jane
Howaboutwedate?
I'll Help You
Tell Me More
Let's Go
This Is Bad
Go Lower
Hug Me
Butterfly
Crazy Zapping Love
Don't Do It
I Regret Nothing
Run
Haruto's Trial (1)
Haruto's Trial (2)

The Childish Contract

229 32 11
By Precious_Nkem

Raymond scowled at what he was reading. An email from his brother just dropped, and it contained a worksheet with carefully outlined tasks Raymond needed to attend to during his 'work leave'. He wouldn't lie, he was a bit pissed at Mike. His brother, who was sadly more prone to pulling stunts to please their father, had informed the man of Genevieve roping him into two trips before she'd return to work.

Which brought Raymond to another unpleasant call he had with his father the other day.

"I thought you possessed excellent negotiation skills. Not one but two trips with some spoiled brat while your job suffers? Come on. How did she succeed in stringing you along?"

It had been on the tip of Raymond's tongue to remind his father that it was his bright idea to grovel at the senator's feet and do whatever it takes to get back in her good grace. But he took the bullets in silence. Five years ago, he had made a decision and it would take much more than a narcissistic small man to crack his resolve.

"I apologize that it came to this," Raymond had managed to say. "I will do my best—"

His father had chuffed. There was the sound of clinking glass and soft jazz in the background. He was probably relaxing in one of his boat clubs. "Just do the needful. The longer you're away from your duty post, the more room for mismanagement grows. Mike cannot shoulder it all for long. I've instructed him to prepare one of those detailed worksheets. Every duty you can attend to while on the go, you will take care of. And no commercial flights. I want these juvenile trips done and dusted as fast as possible."

Click.

Tola had been sitting across from him when the call came in. When he asked how the call went, Raymond only smiled and said 'fine'. It could have been worse. His father had been somewhat relaxed this time, not in the mood to fly into one of his harsh dress-downs. Tola was the one who drove him to the private wing of the airport and wished him a happy time coral farming at the Maldives reef before zooming off with a laugh.

Raymond checked his wristwatch. Less than an hour's waiting time before take-off. Genevieve was due to be in the waiting area any moment now. One of the jets lined past the tall glass wall to his right belonged to his father, and the man had made it a point of duty to inform Senator Amanda of his kind donation to assist her daughter's humanitarian strides.

If anything, Raymond had to hand it to his father. The man knew how to lay it on thick. Even though the senator struck him as a woman who wouldn't be swayed by such gestures, he suspected she accepted the offer because of the convenience it afforded her daughter. The Senator seemed to care for Genevieve even though in Raymond's opinion, she was a tad excessive. If anything, the message he received the night before was proof of that.

It seems my daughter is not satisfied with the opportunities I provided for her and secretly wishes to return to work for Dominic & Dimes. I am not pleased with this turn of events seeing that I wish that Genevieve remains within proximity. If she agrees to return to your company, transfer her to your Abuja branch as soon as you can manage.

The senator's demand was an easy one to fulfil. If Genevieve keeps her word to return to Dominic & Dimes after their trips, he would immediately have her transferred within a month. He was not foolish enough to cross the senator; doing that will invalidate the point of the trips.

The sound of approaching clicking heels snagged Raymond's attention. Looking up, he drew a quick breath. Starting from her pointed-toe black pumps, to white tailored tapered trousers, sleek black blazers, and eyes hidden behind dark oversized sunglasses. He blinked at her appearance, fighting and failing to stop staring as she strolled over.

Sure, she was a tad overdressed but why did his heart do that little zap of excitement at the sight of her. Mild panic set in. All these years, the thoughts of Jane and the circumstances surrounding that horrible episode of his life helped keep certain emotions at bay and sharpen his focus but lately... There was this growing eagerness that came whenever he was to be in Genevieve's company. And he liked the feeling a tad too much.

A truth he had been reluctant to accept was that he had found Genevieve attractive the instant she beamed at him and introduced herself as the Head of the Supply Department. It had been so long since he felt an attraction that his brain immediately did that thing where it replaced what should have been a friendship with cool disinterest. That and she was his employee; clearly off limit.

"Hello, Raymond." She breezed over. Her soft perfume swept over him as she settled into the seat across from him. The low steel table between them held his open laptop, phone, and a leather-bound journal. She placed her fairly large purse next to them.

"What? You wouldn't say a simple hello?" She was smiling, her countenance relaxed and happy. That was another thing about Genevieve; there was this happy vibe about her, living like there were not a thousand and one horrible things happening daily—like she only saw the flowers and rainbows. He had been curious to see how she would manage her suspension when her department was probed and even though there was no pseudo-I-am-still-happy-despite-misfortune display, she had reacted with amusing passion.

"Good morning, Miss Johnson," Raymond said in a tone flat.

"Enough with this Miss Johnson." She sent a soft smile his way. "I know you are dying to call me Genevieve."

No, he was definitely not.

"Know what? I permit you to call me Genevieve or Viv," she said as she removed her sunglasses. Raymond was yet to wrap his head around the logic behind wearing sunglasses indoors? The more time he spent with Genevieve, the more he learned she was somewhat irregular.

Raymond watched as she retrieved a hairpin and secured a lock of hair behind her left ear. She no longer had her braids on, instead, her hair fell a few inches past her shoulders and he could see she had some dye work done. Faint golden streaks amidst reddish brown.

Raymond couldn't tell why he found her entire get-up insanely attractive, he just did.

"Did you read the contract?" She reached into her purse and pulled out a mirrored compact powder, observing her hair and face with relaxed focus.

It took Raymond a few seconds to gather his thoughts and when he did, he scowled. "Never in my life have I read such ridiculous terms in a contract. Quite childish terms if you ask me."

She snapped the mirror shut. Damn, she had pretty eyes, even though they were reduced to slits at the moment. At first, he had laughed when he read through the contract then dismay set in when he realised if Genevieve had gone through the trouble of getting an actual lawyer to add their seal to the document, she meant business.

"From what you just said, I gathered two facts." Genevieve made the peace sign, flashing manicured fingers. "You called the contract ridiculous and childish. That would mean the person who drew the contract is what? Stupid? Naive?"

Sighing, Raymond massaged the bridge of his nose. Yes, the content of the contract was ridiculous but he shouldn't have said that to her face. "Fine. I read the contract. What about it?"

She observed him for a solid moment, eyebrow arched before a slow smug smile formed on her lips. "Do you have the contract here with you?"

Yes. "No, I do not."

"It's a good thing I thought to bring a few extra copies. I want them signed before we get on that lovely jet your benevolent daddy provided."

Raymond's mood blackened at the mention of his father. "Fine."

"Yep, got it." She placed the contract next to his laptop along with a pen. "If you agree to the terms, sign the dotted line. I'm not satisfied with a mere confirmation over the phone. This," —she tapped the contract with a finger— "this makes it binding."

Snatching the pen, Raymond signed. He had not told a soul about the contract, not even Tola. For one, his friend will never let him live it down. Mike will probably find a copy, frame it, and place it among his plaques and numerous certificates for his amusement.

"Bold and sweeping," Genevieve said as she observed the part he signed. "I like your signature. It looks... elegant. Anybody ever told you that?"

It was ridiculous, really it was, how a random compliment on something as ordinary as his signature made him feel warm. "Thanks."

She shrugged a shoulder, and signed the document as well before settling more comfortably into her seat. "I'd admit I did not expect you to agree to all this."

After glancing at his watch, Raymond put his laptop to sleep and met her gaze. "Are you kidding me?"

"No jokes," she said with a giggle, eyes bright with humour. "I had about five trips planned in my head but no time. You know Dominic & Dimes have a shitty vacation plan for their staff, yeah?"

Raymond stuffed his laptop and journal into his Tom Ford office bag. "I promise to look into it once I return. Happy?"

"See why it kinda makes sense to make you do this with me?" She retrieved her sunglasses, using them to gesture as she spoke. "Poetic justice. If only the staff know what you are going through right now, I'd be voted employee of the month if I return."

Biting the inside of his cheek, Raymond battled the urge to smile. She was mouthy, this one. "Well, enjoy it while it lasts."

"Oh, I intend to." She rose to her feet as he did. They began to make their way to the tarmac. With her heels on, she stood a mere inch or two shorter than him, and she had a smooth ladylike gait that complemented his long strides. Then she did something he did not expect. Stopping, she turned to face him; the earnest look in her eyes made his heart do a slow somersault. "Thanks for coming with me, Raymond."

"It's nothing." Raymond offered a passive shrug. "Besides, you left me no choice."

"Nonsense." Genevieve waved a hand, chuckling as her face brightened with a happy glow. "There is always a choice, Raymond. Always." 

________________________________________________________________________________

The next chapter will have more Viv and Ray clashes, and some cupid and rifter interactions too.

Vote.
Comment.
Share if you like the story so far. Thanks 

All the love in the world.💕 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.6K 3.1K 60
She felt his warm palm on her wrist and at once she was facing him. Without warning, his lips engulfed hers, setting her on fire just like she did h...
187K 14.1K 54
What happens when Avni gets to marry her boss for 3 months but one of them end up falling in love with the other ?❤️ Plz give it a try .. because I...
54.5K 13.9K 37
"Do you remember your highschool in Nigeria?" I asked. "Nigeria? No, I studied abroad!" "No! You were in Nigeria.Do you remember me?" "You? Am I supp...
80.3K 17.4K 50
"Didn't you just ask me to be your girlfriend?" I asked. He flashed a smile and replied, "Yes, I did!" "Then, what are you doing with that paper and...