Against All Rules - Hunter ||...

By raedastar

"So, I got the Golden Guard in trouble? My life mission has been accomplished." "I feel bad for you if that... More

1.) Sworn to the Sword
2.) Worth My While
3.) EXTRA: penstagram conversations
4.) Off With My Head
5.) Deciding
6.) First Day of School is the Worst Day of School
7.) True Colors
8.) Ogre Battle
10.) If It Wasn't For the Nights
11.) Doing Time
12.) Hunter Bites the Dust
13.) Cursing the Daylight
14.) So Much to Say
15.) Hollow Mind (1/2)
16.) Hollow Mind (2/2)
17.) The Draining Spell Plan
18.) Where You Are
19.) The Beginning of the End
20.) Now or Never
21.) Haze on the Horizon
22.) Calamity
23.) The New Normal
24.) Homebound
25.) Follow You Down (in Walmart)
26.) We'll Meet Again
27.) Found
28.) Begin Again
29.) Anti-Hero
30.) The End is Near
23e.) The New Normal
24e.) Homebound
25e.) Found
26e.) Pulverized With the Produce
27e.) We'll Meet Again
28e.) Hollywood Bound
29e.) Daydreaming
30e.) Tightrope
31e.) West Coast
32e.) Escape to the Demon Realm
33e.) Nose-bleeding
34e.) All In
35e.) Letting Go
36e.) Time Passing By
37e.) No Matter What
38e.) Bad Habit
39.) When You Find It
40.) Seeing Her Again
41.) Why Didn't You Stop Me?
42.) Sledgehammer
43.) No Other Heart
44.) Doomsday
45.) You Bring Me Home
31.) For the Record
32.) Chivalry Fell On Its Sword

9.) The Lantern Festival

579 21 56
By raedastar

"Kikimora, you must find her. I'm trusting you to see what condition she's in. Apparently, she lived and killed Stanley. It's like she wants me to come kill her myself." Belos huffs.

"I assure you, I will find her."

"Bring Steve and Mary with you. I expect answers to all of my questions when you come back."

"And you're sure the boat isn't gonna tip over this time?" Ellie asks as she carries it to the lake.

"Very sure. I wouldn't do that to you a second time." He assures.

"Good because this lake would probably give my back a nasty infection if I fell in."

"Today is gonna be much better, I promise." He laughs.

She sets the boat down and he helps push it into the water. Their shoes get wet again just like yesterday but that's what they expected. This time Ellie lets Hunter take the oars. A lot of other boats are out tonight to look at the lanterns. It should be starting any minute now so they're all excited. Hunter starts rowing them out to the side as his eyes linger on her. She's looking around at all the people and the boats. She looks beautiful.

"There's a movie where they have something like this on earth." She smiles wider than before.

"Really? That's perfect!" He laughs before smiling at her.

They smile at each other and the eye contact is strong. He doesn't know what to do. He sees her and he just wants to tell her how he feels. But not yet, he doesn't have the courage. So, he reaches over and takes her hands gently. They're so soft and warm. The action makes his smile grow bigger. She squeezes his hand the slightest bit with a smile before relaxing.

"Oh, look! It's the first one." She says excitedly.

She stands up not letting go of his hands and looks at the lanterns starting to float. More and more start to come and it gets everyone excited. She lets go of his hands and walks to the very edge of the boat. She holds onto the tallest part and watches the. The lanterns glow so beautifully. A horde of them come from the other side and float this way. It looks like a ton of stars floating across the sky.

He's secretly watching her. She seems so happy watching the things. Probably because of that movie or maybe because of him. But her smile is still there as the lanterns fill the sky. She looks blissful and absolutely stunning to him.

"Ellie? I got these for us before and I thought we could light them too. And I have the stuff to put wishes in them or whatever you do." He laughs nervously as he holds up two unlit lanterns.

"Thank you so much for everything. I really like hanging out with you, Hunter." She sits beside him so gently and way closer than before.

Their arms and knees touch from both being angled to the side. As the lanterns populate their area more, they scribble down their wishes. Hunter just wants to do a better job protecting Ellie from Belos. Ellie wants everything she's been working for to come true. She even means everything with Hunter. She wants to figure it out.

Then, it's time to light them. They end up lighting each other's which only causes more giggles between them. Neither sees the others wish though. Though they're both secretly hoping it's about them.

"Ready?" Hunter asks as his grin gets wider.

"Ready." She nods.

At the same time, they push the lanterns into the air and watch as they join the rest. Almost everyone else on the lake has sent there's as well so there's, even more, to look at. It's a perfect picture in the sky as they all float along.

"Now I fully understand Tangled." Ellie mumbles and Hunter just laughs quietly at her.

She reaches over this time and gently holds both of his hands. They still sit next to each other so they're even closer than before. He gives her hands a small squeeze as she did earlier so delicately. His heartbeat quickens and he doesn't know what to do. He's never felt like this before.

"Ellie, I...I think you're really cool." Hunter says quietly and gets her attention.

"I think you're cool too, Hunter." She responds similarly.

For a moment neither of them knows what to say. He has so much he wants to say to her but nothing forms into words. She knows exactly what she wants to say but can't bring herself to do it. That's when Hunter remembers everything that happened yesterday. Maybe he doesn't have to talk. It all makes sense now.

He moves the smallest bit closer to her as her attention is back on the lights. He feels awkward not watching or anything. How do the people in stories do this? The talking amongst the other viewers gets a bit louder which eases the slight tension. But not loud enough to ruin the moment or anything.

"Ellie, I-" He starts and she looks up.

Both are immediately distracted by how close they are. He's only a few inches taller but her looking the slightest bit up and him down makes it feel closer. They both start slowly leaning in without realizing it. Their noses touch slightly before they back up and sharply inhale at the contact. Suddenly, their eyes shut mere milliseconds apart.

They start leaning in again until Hunter opens his eyes. He's not sure why but something feels wrong. He looks around and sees movement in the trees beside them. That's when he notices the little nuisance herself. Kikimora is, very terribly, hiding in the bushes with two scouts.

"Shit," Hunter whispers and Ellie's eyes flutter open to see what he's looking at.

"Tangled again!" She shouts and attention is brought to their boat. "Sorry, this happened in the movie too. Kind of."

"We have to go, now." Hunter panics and quickly grabs the oars.

"Now I truly understand the movie." Ellie wistfully smiles as she looks up at the lanterns.

"Kikimora just stalked us and you're still on about that movie?" Hunter laughs and tries to calm himself. Ellie helps him calm down just by being there.

"This was almost just like the movie except Eugene stops the boat, talks to the bad guys, and leaves Rapunzel there. It's a whole thing because her crazy mom is there and you know how it is." She explains rather calmly for someone who just got stalked.

"Bad move, Eugene." Hunter mumbles. The pace he's moving the oars starts to burn his arms but they reach the shore quickly. "Take Ivy and go home, I'll deal with Kikimora. Just you know, try not to have your Captain kill me when he finds out your entire cover may be blown."

"Alright. Ivy, darling? Let's go, boss." She whispers to the frog that hops out from behind her hair.

"Wait, I forgot one thing!" Hunter shouts before quickly placing a kiss on her cheek and nervously backing away.

"Yes...ha! You, uh, can't forget that." Ellie babbles from shock.

"Text me when you get home. Bye!"

"Did you see that?" She gasps to Ivy. The frog appears to nod before turning into the staff. "Oh, right."

She hops up onto the staff, still in a complete daze. She takes off into the air and flies with the lanterns for a moment. They've mostly gone the other direction so it doesn't last long. Then she realizes she should probably call someone and let them know what happened. She pulls out her scroll and finds Captain's number and quickly calls.

"Hello?"

"Terry? What are you up to in Cap's office, doll?" She laughs and rests the phone between her ear and shoulder. She's not sure why she's always had a soft spot for Terry. He's twenty-eight but the others don't seem to respect him as much so that must be why.

"I heard the phone ringing so I came and got it. He's training for the DOU!" He excitedly shares.

"That's great! Listen, I've gotten myself in a pretty sticky situation. Kikimora just caught me hanging out with the Golden Guard and I need you to calmly go tell Cap about it. Can you do that?"

"Kikimora? Golden Guard? This is a joke right, Elle?" Terry awkwardly laughs.

"I'm dead serious, Terry."

"Titan, okay. I'll go tell him and I'm sure you'll get an earful when you get home."

"I'll be counting on it. See ya!" She says before hanging up.

Hunter doesn't even wait for the ship to take him home. He runs as fast as he can through town to the castle. It takes fifteen agonizing minutes before he makes it. Kikimora beat him to it, he sees her ship sitting there. He curses under his breath and starts running again to the Dome. The Dome where he keeps the door to the Human Realm.

Some scouts ask why he's running so quickly in the building but he ignores them. Kikimora has without a doubt snitched on him just like she always does. Maybe she could've been cool but she ruins it every chance she gets. He makes it to the door as she's leaving. She says no words to him, only a small knowing smirk.

He steps inside right after to see Belos facing the other way. His arms are neatly behind his back. He seems to be staring at the portal.

"Hello, Hunter."

"Hello, uncle. I just wanted to-"

"Explain yourself? Please do because I thought you were better than this." Belos harshly asks.

"I didn't know she was...who she is when I first met her. I know now, but there's something there, uncle. I like her a lot. And I think she likes me." Hunter nervously admits.

"Likes you? Please. This whole romance you've invented is demented. But it's my fault. I never should've let you leave like that. Maybe you are too naive to have this position." Belos snaps.

"I know it sounds absurd but trust me-"

"I bet you think she's impressed with you and your status. Why would she like you? Why would the first lieutenant of the rebel army ever like you? But I'll help you get over this silly little crush and we can get back to work. We have lots to do."

"I don't want to get over it, uncle. She's different, I swear." He tries again.

"Don't be stupid, Hunter. If you're so sure that she likes you for you, why don't you give her this?" He taunts before pulling out a large book from behind his back. "It's every single thing about the Day of Unity. All the way from when I first started the coven system."

"But-"

"This is why she's here. This is what she wants. Give her the book and see how fast she'll leave you. She doesn't want you, she wants information. You have no idea what you've gotten yourself into. Those soldiers are something else, emotionless robots. They live to train and dedicate their lives to defeat me. You're okay with that?" Belos asks with a quieter tone.

"Of course not." Hunter looks down. He doesn't want to fight anymore.

"I thought I taught you better. I assume you didn't get any information out of this girl. She probably has no weaknesses and we already know where she is." He sighs.

"Why did you kill those other humans?" Hunter asks and Belos quickly tenses up.

"I had too. Just like I have to kill Elizabeth now. If I have more than two, I will be destroyed. That other human is younger and has been praying for my demise for less time. It just has to be her, Hunter." He explains stiffly.

"I'll try to do better in the future and not get distracted by these things," Hunter assured.

"Good. You don't want to get mixed up with other teenagers anyways. She's scary not only because of her status but because she's a teenager. You never know what's going on in their minds and how they feel. That makes them dangerous." He adds.

"I'm home!" Ellie yells as she walks into the indoor training area.

"Terry told me what happened. Unfortunately, we don't have time to talk about this. We have guests upstairs in their new room getting settled." Cap informs before standing up.

"Finally! Took them long enough." Ellie laughs and opens the door again.

She sprints up the stairs way ahead of Captain William with excitement. A lot of soldiers lingering in the hallways seem happy too. The CATs have been the talk of the soldiers. The new name seems to be working well. She knocks on the door four times before opening it herself.

Darius, Eberwolf, and Raine are examining the area intently before she walks in. The door flies open to see the young girl with a slightly mischievous grin.

"Raine!" She cheers before running up to them. She immediately pulls them into a big hug which makes Darius stare with a confused look.

"Ellie! Weird, I'll never get used to that." They cheer before gesturing to the hug. She pulls away happily before they bring their hand up to ruffle her hair which makes her stop laughing and fix it. "You're a good kid" They laugh as she walks away to check out the room.

"This is nice. I like what you've done with the place." She observes.

"Raine is having a hard time deciding where the bunks should go." Darius teases.

"This little space in the wall is so perfect for them though." She practically has stars in her eyes as she pictures what the room could look like.

"That's what I think but I'm not sure. Shouldn't the area with the plans be more secluded?" They ask.

"I don't think that really matters if this place is so well hidden. I mean, Belos knows where the building is but half of the soldiers here didn't even know this room existed." Ellie shrugs.

"You're right. We could have the plans on a big table in the middle." Raine agrees.

"So...." Ellie puts her hands behind her breath while Raine keeps thinking. "Any updates on the situation?"

"What situation?" They ask and rest their hand on their chin.

"The Eda situation." She smirks as she walks around Raine.

"You told her about the Eda situation?" Darius perks up.

"Wrong Eda situation, Darius. And No, Ellie. She thinks I've been captured, I need to keep it up." They explain as a big blush goes across their face.

"That's so boring. You very obviously still like her and it's been forever, maybe she's better at communicating now." She tries.

"Maybe she is but maybe we're all about to die in a few days," Raine adds.

"Negative Nancy Nation." She mumbles.

"And what about you?" Raine laughs.

"What about me?"

"I talk to you and Hunter separately all the time and you're both idiots." Raine starts. Ellie immediately rolls her eyes and walks over to one of the armchairs against the wall and throws herself in it.

"He's a good friend, Raine. I was just hanging out with him and then there was a whole Kikimora thing, blah blah blah, she knows who I am, told Belos, and whatever so I had to go home. Woah, is that a guitar?" Her attention is immediately drawn to boxes on a table.

"He knows who you are?" Darius snaps out of whatever he was doing.

"He's tried to kill me a few times and sent his little creature to stalk me so...yeah?"

"That's right, the prophecy." Raine mumbles.

"I'm flattered that I'm a problem here AND at home." She laughs but no one else does. "Come on, that was funny."

"It's a matter of time before Belos comes for you himself." Darius sighs.

"He can try but come on, he's no match for me even with magic. He's ancient." She tries to joke but they're still completely serious.

"I know you're not trying to take this seriously but maybe we should have a plan in place for when he comes searching for you." Raine agrees with Darius.

"This place looks great. I'll talk you to tomorrow, Bye!" She shouts and waves excitedly before running out the door.

As soon as the door shuts, she lets a breath out. She doesn't want to be taken so seriously by them but it seems like the closer the Day of Unity gets, the harder it is the be casual.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

121 14 8
[ DISCONTINUED ] " And for a second, the planets stopped moving; the tides stopped colliding, and the air finally stood still. A consistent annoying...
19K 520 15
"Everything that can go wrong, will go wrong." Its been a long time, since Luzs mother died. She sent Luz to camp, but passed away while Luz was gon...
36.7K 916 22
Y/n grew up in the boiling isles. She was the youngest and strongest graduate in her class who joined the emperor's coven. Shortly after, she starts...
17.6K 564 25
Y/n L/n, a 'normal' 15 year old girl, best friend and neighbors to Luz Noceda. When she and Luz find themselves in a different realm called The Boi...