An interlude to Sunset

Af budstarc

This is a Mahabharata Fanfiction mostly based on facts we see in Star Mahabharat. Mahabharat holds a lot of... Mere

The part where it all began - Yudhistira
The part Where a Few answers are received - Yudhistira
The part Where Worlds seem distorted - Arjun
The Part where Sworn enemies have doubts - Karna
Not a chapter- update
The Part where the Archer despairs - Arjun
The part where things look bleak - Yudhistira
The Part where the strongest breaks - Bheem
The Part Where a Friendship Hold strong - Arjun
The Part where the Eldest is tested - Yudhistira
The Part with the Healer's anguish - Nakul
The part where Divinity enters - Krishna
The part where friends reunite - Arjun
The part where a journey is undertaken - Yudhistira
The Part where the Lord loses and regains control - Krishna
The Part where a Brother is punished and Brotherhood re established - Yudhistira
Not a Chapter - Update 2
The Part where The Lord seeks answers and fights back - Krishna
18 - The Part Where Friendship Perseveres - Arjun
The Part Where Things take a turn (For Better or Worse) - Krishna
The Part Where Old Secrets are Divulged - Krishna
The Part where the flame flickers yet holds strong - Yudhistira.
The part where the toughest fight is fought - Krishna
The part where it all comes together - Arjun

The Part Where Things are Questioned - Bhisma

1K 53 8
Af budstarc

TWO – BHISMA

The healer was standing next to the bed spooning some medicinal herbs into Arjun's mouth, but the prince was unable to sallow most of it. The rest dribbled down the side of his lips and Bhisma quickly dabbed it with a cloth before it could stain the bedcovers. His heart twisted with worry and sorrow as he looked upon his great grandson. Arjun was his favourite and this was a ill kept secret. The child had won his heart since the first time that the grandsire had set his eyes upon him. A curious and talented child, Arjun did not just grow up to be an extremely valiant warrior and the best archer of Aryabhrata but also to be a humble and kind hearted person. He was quick to anger at times, but never moved back from seeking forgiveness.

Bhisma place a gentle hand on Arjun's wrist and concentrated on the beats of his pulse as the healer now gently pulled the arrow from Arjun's body. The wound now bled freely but not alarmingly. Arjun's pulse was slower than Bhisma would have liked it to be. He was no healer but in his long life has had the opportunity to study some medical texts. A slow pulse was not expected after such a minor injury.

The healer was cleaning up the wound and examining it minutely. Bhisma now sat on the bed near Arjun's head and ran his hand lightly through the archer's curly hair. A sigh left him and he felt the rare stirrings of his old age. His bones ached, not with physical discomfort, but with mental exhaustion. The constant envy Duryodhana held for the Pandavas had weakened Bhisma's will to live sooner than it should have. The incident at Varnavrat and the succeeding grief had taken its toll on him.

"Ma..."

Arjun stirred and mumbled. Bhisma was jolted out of his thoughts and placing his palm on Arjun's forehead he spoke in a low voice. "Arjun... Can you hear me child? Are you okay?"

"M-Ma...."

Arjun mumbled yet again but he was clearly not conscious. It was a fevered muttering and further worried Bhisma. The Pandavas visit to Hastinapur was not pre planed. In fact, ever since the construction of Indraprasth, and the ceremony of the Rajsurya Yagna, the relations between the cousins were further embittered. Bhisma was aware that Duryodhana spent each day plotting with Gandhar Raj Shakuni and was relieved when that conniving man left for his Gandhar city, even if it were for just a few days. The visit to Indraprasth was made by Kunti, Yudhistira, Arjun and Nakul. Sahadeva and Bheem had stayed back with Draupadi and Subhadra to ensure smooth running of the kingdom. Though they held no great love for Hastinapur in their hearts, Bhisma knew that the Pandavas missed the people back home.

"But what happened to you, my child!" Bhisma spoke to himself continuing to smooth Arjun's hair. "There seems to be no poison in the wound. The wound, in itself, is fairly shallow. Then why are you not waking up? What will I tell Kunti when she comes? What message will I have for your brothers and Panchali? And you married Subhadra but a few months back. I am not used to seeing you like this, dear child!"

"You are right, Gangaputra." The healer had finished his examination and he had applied herbs to the wound. "There is no poison in the wound, the wound is not too deep and yet I can't figure out why Prince Arjun is not regaining consciousness."

Bhisma sighed again but before he could question the healer further, Nakul entered the quarters and from his worried expression it was clear that he had received the news. The sight of the young prince was a relief for the aged patriarch. Nakul was an extremely talented healer; a blessing of the Lords Aswinikumars. There was none who could rival the medical prowess this young Pandu prince possessed. He and his twin Sahadeva made for a formidable pair.

With a per functionary salutation towards Bhisma, Nakul quickly made his way to the other side of Arjun's bed. He placed a hand on his brother's forehead and closed his eyes. Bhisma could barely make out the slight shivers wracking the young Prince's body. Nakul's lips were pinched tightly and he seemed to be barely holding on to his emotions.

"Putra Nakul." Bhisma called out in a gentle and soothing voice, Nakul's eyes opened and Bhisma could see the water layering in them. "Take heart, dear child; your brother will be okay. "

"How do we know that, Pitamah?" Nakul's voice trembled as he replied. He picked up Arjun's other arm and held it in in his. "I have never seen Bhrata Arjun like this. We have treated him through so many injuries and mishaps. But never ever have I seen him like this." The hold Nakul had on his emotions cracked some and a few tears escaped the confines of his eyes and made their way down his cheeks; he wiped them away with alacrity.

Without letting go of Arjun's hand Bhisma stretched out his out arm and grabbed hold of Nakul's hands which still enveloped Arjun's. He tried to communicate strength through touch and felt he succeeded some as Nakul nodded resolutely and closed his eyes again. He had now entered a meditative state and Bhisma maintained the connection of comfort. It seemed to ground his great grandson as Nakul tried to balance his work and his emotions.

The minutes passed by and Bhisma was subconsciously counting Arjun's pulse beats and looking at the quarter entrance every now and then. He expected Yudhistira and Kunti any time. Nakul had come exceptionally early but Bhisma knew the special connection he and Sahadeva shared and Sahadeva's visions of the future. The twins would have felt something almost as soon as Arjun got hit. But for now he was eager to get Dushyala's version of the events.

It was ten whole minutes before Nakul opened his eyes. His face held a glazed look and he shakily perched at the side of Arjun's bed. He did not remove his hand from Arjun's and Bhisma did not remove his own. The grandsire did not prompt the young prince and eventually Nakul volunteered.

"The Raj Vaidya is right, Pitamah. There is no poison in the wound and the wound in itself is clean. However..." Nakul paused.

"However... What is it child?" Bhisma prompted once a few long moments had passed and Nakul was becoming more emotional by the minute. The shaking which had diminished some had now restarted.

Before Nakul could elucidate Arjun mumbled yet again.

"M....Ma...."

"Is he....?" Nakul looked taken aback.

Bhisma tightened his grip on the hands of his great grandchildren and nodded. "Arjun is mumbling at times. He is trying to say something or asking for someone; maybe for Kunti."

"Maybe..." Nakul looked uncertain. A moment's hesitation and then his expression cleared. "It is more likely that he is calling out for his Sakha.... His Madhav; though it is but a speculation."

Bhisma nodded. Now that he thought about the intonation of Arjun's words, he calling out for Madhav (Vasudev) seemed more likely. Bhisma smiles; despite his recent tiff with Vasudev on account of Subhadra's wedding, he held the man in the greatest esteem. Vasudev's dharma knowledge was immense and his way of living and explaining the same, very simple and very unique.

"I digress," Nakul spoke up. "Bhrata Arjun's vitals are not stable, and that in itself is worrying. His energy levels are down as if his body is fighting something. Bhrata Arjun always had had strong body core energy. We could always feel it even when just in the same room with him. Many a times when we were wounded or simply tired, we drew upon his energy core." Nakul smiled to himself; a smile which was laced with nostalgia and grief. "He would wrap us in his embrace and allow us to sleep beside him. We all indulged, even Jyestha Bhrata. But to see his energy core this affected is unnerving." Nakul paused and with a look at Bhisma gently removed his hand and now placed it on Arjun's forehead.

"What do you think is wrong with him, Nakul? Your expertise in medicine is unparalled. If there is anyone who can find a cause, it is you or Sahadeva." Bhisma tried to keep the anxiety out of his voice completely. Nakul was worried enough as it were and he did not need to know what dark thoughts ailed his Pitamah.

Nakul took a minute and then replied, "I am not sure, Pitamah, and it shames me. You call me an expert but I am just not s-sure." Nakul's voice broke at the end and Bhisma's heart sank further. "I-it may be a cursed arrow. In fact, I am quite sure about that. But the cure cannot be ascertained unless we know exactly what curse or the intentions behind it."

Bhisma's breath hitched at this confirmation by Nakul as he had suspected the same. The body...Arjun's body was fighting some divine or demonic curse. When an arrow is shot with the power of a curse behind it, it can wreck much havoc and the cure becomes only that much difficult to trace and find. Bhisma now released Arjun's hand and moved over to the other side of the bed. He took hold of Nakul's shoulder and squeezed it gently.

"You have nothing to be ashamed of, Nakul. You are unable to trace the cause and without the cause you cannot have the cure. It is not your fault, far from it. We will need to know the details and do not beat yourself up over anything just now." Nakul look up and Bhisma met his eyes affectionately. "You cannot trace the cause unless you have the details, dear Nakul."

"But till then Bhrata Arjun..."

"Arjun will hold on." Bhisma's words held conviction and strength, more than he felt at any rate. "You will have to treat his conditions now and as they emerge. You can do that, can't you my child?"

Nakul nodded and Bhisma saw him petting back and arranging his prone brother's hair. The same involuntary gesture of comfort that Bhisma himself had indulged in a while back. 

A wave of affection ran through the elderly man. The sons of Pandu have suffered a lot over the years but it has hardened and polished them. Just like gold, they have been purified by the fires they have faced. And this was especially true of Arjun who had had to content with more trials and tribulations that the others. But it had also given him an independent identity and all the honour associated with it. While the other Kuru princes excelled in their own kingdom, Arjun had moved about a great deal during his recent exile, roaming in unknown provinces and more often than not helping them with different varieties of dangers. The third Pandavas' fame and stories of his valiant exploits had reached Hastinapur too and had filled Bhisma with utter joy. His great grandchild had taken what could have been a tough situation and used it to mould himself into a better warrior and human being.

"Pitamah?" Nakul's soft voice cut into Bhisma's musings.

"Yes, Nakul?"

The young prince hesitated for a moment. "Shouldn't we... I mean, it will be better if we can talk to Dushyala as soon as possible. I heard that she seems to be in some kind of a shock. But as she is the only one who was with Bhrata Arjun..."

"Of course, you are right. I had asked Duryodhana to call Kunti and Gandhari, along with you but I believe that you did not have to wait for him?" Bhisma's eyes showed a slight twinkle. 

He had retaken his seat on the side of Arjun's bed and was yet again holding onto the warrior's hands, trying to transfer as much vital energy as possible. Arjun's bracelet was leaving their pattern on his palms, but Bhisma found the touch of the cool metal surprisingly grounding. Arjun's bracelet was unique in itself and though it made him more recognisable in a battle, he treasured it. Bhisma had never sought to ask him about the choice of something so unusual. There was just so much he had missed in the lives of his great grandchildren and all because he was busy maintaining some semblance of peace in Hastinapur but sometimes he did wonder if it has been worth it.

Nakul chuckled faintly. "I had a feeling...some of Deva's thoughts..."

Bhisma nodded; the brothers called Sahadeva by the shortened version of his name often enough.

"They will have known at Indraprasth by now..." Nakul continued. "Panchali and Subhadra will be so worried." He raised his eyes and met his Pitamah's. There was a haunted look slowly but surely eclipsing them. "How do we figure out the cure, Pitamah?"

Bhisma would have found words of encouragement again but a scream from the comatose Arjun interrupted him and the utter horror in the archer's voice caused his heart to turn ice cold,

"DUSHYALA!" 

Now here is part 2. Comments, ideas and creative criticism is highly appreciated. Now posting of the parts may slow down a little but I will try to post at least one chapter per week.  

Fortsรฆt med at lรฆse

You'll Also Like

393K 23.4K 77
Drisana has always felt like she's in the wrong place, wrong time. Why? That has no answer. After her parents death, adventure lover Drisana has been...
22.1K 1K 92
Uruvi, a golden hearted Princess of Pukeya, tried hard to change her destiny. She did not want to be married to anyone but unwantedly she befriended...
63.8K 2.3K 28
ยฐโ˜†ยฐโ€ขโ™กโ€ข COMPLETED โ€ขโ™กโ€ขยฐโ˜†ยฐ A girl suffering in kaliyug dies and is reborn as Draupadi's sister in Dwaparyug to change some of the events to try and serv...
Unwanted Bride Af

Historisk fiktion

4.6K 247 8
Another Karna and Draupadi's fanfiction. A very different story from the one we already know. This is purely my imagination and doesn't intend to...