ᴡᴀʟʟғʟᴏᴡᴇʀ

By sawvvy

❝He built himself the perfect barricade, and she brought with her, the perfect demolition tool❞ Introverted... More

WALLFLOWER
PLAYLIST & AESTHETICS
1 | Enclosed Specimen
2 | Reserved rudeness
3 | Reasonable conversation
4 | Numbers never lie
5 | Endgame
6 | Olive branch
7 | Wilted dreams
8 | Equal proportions
10 | Vintage galleries
11 | Varieties & Extremities
12 | We're not friends
13 | Periodic Table
14 | Someone else's battle
15 | Lounge Peak
16 | Daytime Witch
17 | Adult-napper
18 | Just a bite
19 | Peace offering
20 | Death Sentence
21 | Drunk Jenga
22 | Overdramatic
23 | Kitchen treason
24 | Secrets to spill
25 | Muse (Not)
26 | Willingly
27 | Non-date
28 | Next step
29 | Sticky Situation

9 | Milestones

133 58 17
By sawvvy

There were moments worth everything to a person.

It could either be sad or happy moments. However, these moments differ too.

At the moment, to Wande, it was a milestone. But to me, it was one of those numerous days when I was still cloaked in anxiety and uncertainty.

However, I tucked everything at a side and focused on what was really important.

Wande.

My girlfriend had finally made it. We were at Wande's record studio, a little and cozy, two room building, that had the best downtime snacks. The drinks weren't much to my liking though.

The cream and gold decor was what I loved most about the studio. There were blown out posters of some afro pop and R&B singers at a corner. At another had posters of rappers and hip-hop icons. All these were arranged in an aesthetic display that made you want to stare all day.

Today was the day Wande had been busy planning for, since the past week. A 'pre-listening party' she'd called it.

After months of being on the hunt for potential artiste-material and going through hell in the form of listening to various shades and forms of horrible mixtapes, she finally found the One.

Wande had requested our presence as her friends and filter-less critiques.

Behind the translucent recording booth was the man of the hour. A lean, tall and broad-shouldered boy, who probably was in his early twenties.

He'd asked to be called Falcon instead of his given name.

I watched him flip through the papers in his hand, while his eyes were keen on them, scanning and taking them in with utter seriousness.

"I'd say this one would be different." Karen whispered, giving me a nudge.

I nodded, going further to lean down on the sofa I was sharing with her. "He will be. He looks reasonable and serious."

I could feel Karen's gaze on me. I turned.

"What?"

"Is that the only thing you gathered about his looks."

Confused, I spared the boy another glance.

His brown skin was shining under the spray of LED bulbs in the recording booth, his fade cut looked neat and intentionally left at a certain length. The signet and knuckle rings on his fingers, gave him this regal look or more like, a sophisticated charm.

Shrugging, I looked away. "He's neat and has a nice sense of fashion?"

Karen groaned mock exasperation. "What the fuck is wrong with you? You aren't this dense Ajala! Look at those chiseled jaws," she groaned dreamingly. "They could cut through anything. OMG, did you see them move?"

Rolling my eyes and not in the mood to fawn over someone's son,  I spared him another glance nonetheless for Karen's sake. This time, our eyes caught for a second before I looked away.

If it were under normal circumstances, I would be gushing over the boy's features, planning on stalking his IG or doing whatever the simp in me wanted. But that moment, I wasn't game for any of that. The fact that it was Karen that had noticed his feature and was already gushing over him when she was in a relationship and not me, said a lot.

While my body was at Wande's record studio, my mind was somewhere else.

I'd given the gallery director a call and we'd fixed a day to meet and go over certain formalities.

Although she'd assured me that the exhibition was nothing big, but just an empowerment program for the youth slash donation event and had advised me against being the least pressured. I still felt pressured.

One, I wanted so bad to tell my parents this great news. Although it was little, I was finally doing something that I loved. Something useful. It would have been a great opportunity to show them that I could make a choice and not be a total failure.

Wande's father Tokunbo Olaleye had one of the top record labels in Africa. Alpha T records, but that didn't stop him from helping Wande set up her own record label to pave her own road. Kamauche's parents indulged him whenever he came up with one of his ideas...

But there I was, having little to no guts to share what I deemed fit good news with my parents.

Feeling myself feel more down in seconds, I shook out the emotionally draining thoughts before flashing Karen a coy smile, trying my best to wiggle my brows suggestively in a convincing manner. I was here for Wande.

"Wande has hit the jackpot with this one," I began. "He's good looking and mature. Girls will definitely eat out of his palm."

Karen grinned. "I know right?" She heaved out a defeated sigh. "Too bad I'm not single."

I ignored her statement, not bothering to correct her that what she had with Ogunlade Bademosi wasn't a relationship.

"What are you two talking about?" Kam asked, his hand toying with Azra's braids, while my annoyed best friend was slapping them off to no avail.

Karen crossed her knee high, boot clad legs together. "Men. Really sexy ones."

"Really?" He turned to glance at Az, who was now drilling holes into him as she tried to untangle the poor excuse of a braid he'd done to her hair. "Are they in this very room?"

Az snorted, same time Karen and I bursted out in fit of laughter. 

"What? Y'all don't think I'm a man?" He asked, a smile tugging at his face as Azra let out another snort. "Being a man isn't about age you know, it's about experience."

Az slapped his hands off her hair. "Let me guess, you have enough experience to make you a monk?"

With that, everyone in the room lost it, including the sound engineer working with Wande.

"Az 1. Kam 0." Brian howled out from where he sat beside Wande and the sound engineer. "Dude, leave Az and know peace. She'll slice and dice the hell out of you."

Kam not the least affected grinned, shaking his head. "Never, we only understand each other." He gazed at an uninterested Az. "Shady tell them, the disses are our love languages right?"

Shaking her head in disbelief, Azra went back to fiddling with her cellphone, causing us to crack up once more.

Soon, Wande and the sound engineer were ready for the artiste, gaining our undivided attention.

There, we'd sat in silence as we listened to Wande's new artiste sing.

He had a strong voice, and rhythm that was laced with the right amount of confidence a singer should possess. All in all, he brought a lot to the table from Wande's perspective.

Wande had wanted him to do a freestyle on some of her favorite songs, but he'd gone ahead and sang the songs he'd written himself. Three of them.

When he was done, he was applauded fervently by everyone in the room, including me. Which wasn't much of a surprise because, although I wasn't really myself at the moment, his voice wasn't just any other voice out there. Its uniqueness made you stop whatever you're doing to listen.

It was no doubt that if he played his role well in the industry, he was going to be the next star to watch out for.

The complimentary messages still continued as he stepped out of the recording booth.

This time I got a good view of how tall he was and how defined or more like, refined, his features were.

"I think we can start by working on your songs Falcon!" Wande exclaimed once he was out.

She had a proud look on her face and a befitting one at that.

"Yeah." Becks, the sound engineer attested, bearing a proud smile too.

You could tell these women were happy and content with the look on their faces.

"I could totally endorse you man." Brian added to the chain of praises aimed at Falcon. "Or what's it called? Investment?"

Wande gave him a curt salute. "Yes sir! We need all the cash we can get."

My crazy rich friend sent her a wink. "Done."

"I don't do afro pop and hip-hop," Az began, a soft smile on her face. Her wide eyes, sincere. "But I'll make an exception for you."

"Thank you so much."  The boy smiled, showcasing a dimpled smile, causing Wande to dramatically fan herself beside him.

This girl.

Karen crossed her long legs, dangling her cellphone in the air. "I can create fan pages for you honey. Just say the word."

"And there's a lot more, where that came from." Kam added.

"Thank you so much. I appreciate." Falcon replied bashfully, before facing me. "What do you think?"

I shrugged, holding his gaze when he chose to stare me straight in the eyes. "It's nice. Good voice."

"No uh," he shook his head at my response. "I don't want vague answers. What do you think about my song and lyrics?"

My silly friends had knowing smiles on their faces as they watched on in anticipation.

This was interesting. "Honest girl thing?" I asked, as I watched his lips curve up in a smile at my choice of word.

"Yeah, honest girl thing."

"Okay. You have a unique voice. It's strong and captivating and pulls everyone in."

His smile widened this time. "Thank you."

"But, I don't think it's suitable for the last song you sang," I continued, watching his face contort, like he was in deep thought. "While the first two were great with nice catch-phrases and unique lyrics, the last was just basic. I speak for myself though, I don't think I'd go through the hassle of streaming a song that talks about how men go through women like used sanitaries and how they buy women off with money. Yes, almost every artiste is singing about it. However, I think your voice isn't meant for that. It's meant for deep lyrics and meaningful messages. That's my two scent."

"Wow." I heard Azra's voice say when I was done.

Wow alright, I just did something Az would do anytime and day and something I would never have done if I wasn't feeling a little under the weather.

"I love your take on everything." Falcon said, after what felt like eons. "It's blunt, honest and thorough. I'll take them into consideration."

I nodded, leaning back on my seat. "Sure."

"By the way, you look familiar." He began again, his eyes keen on me, causing me to narrow my eyes.

"Do I?"

"Yeah. Perhaps, do you attend Beechworth University?"

My eyes narrowed the more.  "No I don't-"

"Dam's girlfriend." He confirmed, recognition apparent on his face.

Immediately, my sour mood turned worse.

He had to mention him of all people.

"You are Damini's girlfriend right? I haven't seen you for a while on campu-"

"Was. We broke up."

"Oh," he let out.  "I'm sorry, I didn't know."

"It's nothing. It's been a while."

Feeling totally uncomfortable under the scrutinizing gaze of everyone in the room, I wished for nothing more than the day to come to an abrupt end.

•••

"One hurdle down." Brian cheered as he entered Wande's sitting room, his hands packed with bags from coconut cafe. "What next?"

Wande was glowing, but as her eyes landed on the bags in Brian's hands, her face lit up the more.

She didn't joke with her small chops. Especially ones from coconut cafe

"To start working on his songs obviously. Becks said she's down for it." She playfully glared at me. "Two of his songs Didi."

I flashed her my best apologetic smile. "Sorry."

"No problem." She waved me off. "I too thought the last song wasn't his thing and besides, the other two were great. "

Oh. "Okay."

Azra sat up, reaching out to take the bag Brian was handing her. "Y'all, don't you think it was a little strange that the guy asked Didi for her opinion personally?"

Groaning, I palmed my face in frustration. Azra could be a real thorn in the flesh atimes.

"I know right?" Karen agreed. "He was staring at Didi for quite a long time though."

Seriously, Karen. "He was not!"

"Oh he was," Az supported. "Saw too."

Kam raised his hand. "Me too."

I aimed a glare his way. "Shut up!"

"Y'all let her breath, he did that cos Didi wasn't giving him the attention we were giving him?" Brian spoke up.

"Bless you Bri."

"I'm already blessed babe." He continued. "Anyway, guys feel insecure when they don't get the whole attention from females in a room. It's like an ego thing."

"Interesting." Wande said, hands tapping on her cellphone. "I'm making notes."

Brian's face scrunched up in confusion. "Why?"

"In order to get Cashlad's attention duh!" She nothing but exclaimed. "Dad asked if I was game for his listening party!"

Brian snorted. "Seriously? That Rema wannabe dude?"

"They just have the same voice Brian." Wande shot back. "It's nothing but a perfect coincidence."

"You know, Cashlad also dresses like Rema and copies his hair style too." Karen opined, now digging into her snacks.

Wande shrugged. "So? What's so bad about it?"

Cashlad was one, upcoming artiste Alpha T  scouted last year. He'd just left booth camp a few months ago and was already making waves on the net because of his boyish looks and oh well... His unparalleled effort at copying Nigerian star, Rema.

That one fact had been a point of concentration ever since he became a public sensation.

Brian passed me my own order. "It says a lot actually."

"That he's insecure and doesn't believe in his own abilities and talent?" Azra said with a shrug.

"Let's not forget the fact that he comes at Rema on Twitter like his like depends on it." Kam added. "Doesn't that spell insecurity in capital letters for you Wande?"

My girlfriend shrugged, going further to savour the small chops she'd bitten into. "Who cares about insecurity? He can work a crowd and he's cute. What's stopping me from barking up his good looking ass."

It was Brian's turn to snort. "What's so cute about his pretentious ass. He looks like some street thug who's trying to look sexy with his buttons gone but is failing hopelessly."

"He's confident Bri. He's a celebrity owning his looks. Are you jealous?"

Brian rolled his eyes. "Why should I be? I have enough money to buy his ass off Alpha T records."

Okay Brian...

That had us laughing in seconds.

Wande was about to throw back a retort of her own, when her cellphone lit up to a text.

She read it, before looking up at me. Her eyes shining mischievously.

"Falcon texted." She began, in which I answered with a shrug.

However, everyone in the room hung on to her every word like they depended on it for dear life.

I shook my head. My friends were such gossip-tasty beings.

"He texted to apologise for bringing up Damini back at the studio." She continued.

"Uh, tell him it's no problem. It's in the past."

Wande grinned, happily texting back like she was ecstatic to play middle man.

"He said, 'okay, TTYL' ."

I rolled my eyes at the knowing smile on Wande's face. "That was for you, not for me."

"Didi still got game y'all!" She announced, earning a groan from me.

"Dude three dotted me for minutes before settling for TTYL. You got him babe."

I rolled my eyes, eying the burger in my hand. "I don't have anyone. And by the way,  he knows Damini. I don't date in circles."

They nodded simultaneously.

"So," Karen began. "Have you seen Damini recently? Heard they're back for the long vacation."

I shook my head. "Not seen, but heard from him. Shot me a you up text last week. He has nerves though."

Azra dropped her milkshake with a thud. "He did not!"

I shrugged. "Apparently, he thinks I'm still game."

"What an asshole." Wande gritted out. "You've left his ass for good Didi? So when I smoke his ass, you won't tell on me."

I grinned, loving the way Wande was so worked up. She could go from a hopeless simp to aspiring man-beater in seconds.

"That's not a problem, dropped his ass like a bad habit."

Brian lifted a brow. "That's a little uncertain Didi. You know we tend to pick up bad habits after dropping them."

Smirking, I shrugged. Remembering one person I didn't mind picking on. "Believe whatever Bri. But let's say, I've picked up a new habit, do I go back for the old one again?"

Wande grinned. "Why do I feel like you have a replacement already!"

I rolled my eyes, hiding the smile threatening to show itself.

"Wait first, before you ask that. Didi was that a trick question or an answer." Karen asked, straw halfway in her mouth as she waited for my answer.

"It's an answer." Az's bored voice provided.

My grin widened at the relieved looks on their faces. Same time the dark cloud hanging over my head seemed to evaporate into thin air.

"Alright, how about more good news to make our day?" So what my parents wouldn't be there for me? I had my friends who'd move mountains to see me happy if I wanted.

"So, I've been scouted for an exhibition next week at Olive Branch," I began, taking in their eager faces. "It's nothing much, but it'll be worth it, hopefully."

Kam and Azra snorted in unison at my choice of word.

Wande rolled her eyes. "Nothing much? Really Didi? It's Olive Branch we are talking about here."

"It's just random photos of us at parties and streets..."

They lost it.

"If my picture is going to be exhibited at a gallery Ajala, count me the fuck in!" Karen screamed.

•••

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.2K 853 36
After the tragic loss of his mother, Rylie Collins returns to his hometown for his freshman year, only to find himself struggling to cope with grief...
21.2K 3.1K 60
She felt his warm palm on her wrist and at once she was facing him. Without warning, his lips engulfed hers, setting her on fire just like she did h...
The Progress By gone

Teen Fiction

3.3K 675 27
Somewhere, surrounded by a seemingly impenetrable blockade of trees lies a summer camp. Its name: 𝐂𝐚𝐦𝐩 𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐬 and its goal: 𝙧𝙖𝙞𝙨𝙚...
5.9K 302 13
"There's just something about you" he said looking at me, almost like he could see my soul "Something about me?... it's the chase Elliot, you'll g...