The One who Chases after Death

By Aurea_Rubrum

"What do you mean?" "I want to be reliable! I want to be someone everyone looks up to! I want to carve my nam... More

The first, maybe second reincarnation

*Title is spoiler and shall be hidden at the bottom of the chapter*

17 4 3
By Aurea_Rubrum

*Gasp*

I stood up straight on the bed I was lying upon. "Wh-what?" I spoke, dreary of this illusory dream.

I raise my hands to look at them and see that they were shaking, they were trembling dearly.

I couldn't understand a thing. What happened? I was supposed to be dead.

"I made sure that I would be dead! I destroyed my dantian and fell from the eternal cliff!" I shook further and as time passes it got worse.

"No... no... no... it can't be... IT CAN'T BE!" I grasped my head in panic as tears started to form on my eyes in anxiety.

I was afraid, I am scared. "It's happening again." Memories flooded my mind as I started to fall into more and more panic.

It was happening again, reincarnation. Why? I wanted to get out of that hell hole of life! I... was merely a shell, an empty shell without emotions.

It was hell. A slave to perfection. That was what I was. "NO!" I screamed out as my fingernails dug down my skin.

Blood poured down my arm as I smeared my hair with blood while clutching my head as hard as I could. "NO!"

I can't live that life again... I was afraid it might happen again... "NO!" I just wanted to rest eternally! I wanted to just be in peace!

The blood from all I killed... The screams of those who were torn by my blade... It spun around my head as all the guilt and emotions from before all rushed in me.

I tore my hair in what seemed to be madness. "Why couldn't I just avoid all of it with my death!" My breath sharpened as I took heavy breathes.

"NOOO!" I screamed again. Pain clear and evidently laced in my voice that came out shrill. I started to choke out of lack of air.

The door opened abruptly as I my attention snapped away from all I did before. A woman with brown hair rushed to my side.

"*le**n*e*!" She shouted as she hugged my small frame and cradled me. It felt strange... It felt comforting... *sob*

My hands were uncontrollable. I couldn't hold back. I grasped the stranger by the waist as soft sniffles came out of me in repeat.

Sniffles turned into crying. I let out as much tears as I humanely could while clutching the stranger as dearly as my strength allowed me to.

"Shush." The stranger spoke. "It's alright now... I am here right beside you. You're safe from harm."

I felt my grief, sadness, sorrow, wash away as time passed by with me crying out in pain of my last life. It was traumatic to say the least.

As the sun had risen above the window beside me, I had calmed down and looked at the person who was hugging me tightly.

I stared and admired her magnificent features. Her brown eyes were bright and exposed the worry she felt for me.

Her straight brown hair was wafting around with the gentle wind blowing from the window. She stared back at me and spoke. "Are you ok now? Alex."

The woman asked me. I absentmindedly nodded as I felt my stomach feel strange- *growl* I felt my cheeks flush with pinkish hue.

The woman chuckled as she picked my tiny frame up and walked out of the room. "Looks like little Alex is a little hungry."

We went out the room and was greeted by the sight of a table with delicious looking food and... people I don't recognise.

The woman put me on a seat that was elevated enough for me to properly eat on the table. The woman patted my back as she placed a plate of food in front of me and sat on an empty seat.

I was still in shock and couldn't think straight but I ate because of my hunger. I picked up a fork and stabbed it on a small piece of meat.

I placed the meat inside my mouth and pulled out the fork, I began chewing the meat while staring at the other people who were on the table.

After I glanced once, I didn't look back because of unknown consequences. They were staring at me with adoration, for a reason I don't know why.

Despite the odd stares, I silently ate my food delicately as I could without sharing eye contact with the other people.

To say the least, the food I ate was delicious, just like its appearance shows to the eye. I ate my food with joy, an emotion I hadn't felt for so long before.

...

After I finished eating, I properly stared at the other people on the table who were sharing the same glances at me.

After a few silent seconds and some strangely embarrassing questions. I had found out that the people were my biological family.

Um, my dad was named Vesta, the woman from earlier was my mother named Sarah, my brother was named Ron, while my sister was named Aria.

With the questions I asked, I had also learned a couple new things about this world, where I was, and also, a few things about myself.

I was currently 4 years old; I was a quite but cute and obedient child according to my parents' description of my personality. And also, magic exists in this world. My mom had just voodoo-voodooed healing magic on my hands that were bleeding.

....

A few days had passed and right now, I am outside the house staring at the view. Our house was built on a hill, and I could see the village down the hill and the green that spread as far as I could see with my eyes.

It was a sight to behold in my sight. Before, I couldn't/wasn't able to enjoy such sights because of my constant chase for power.

The sun was softly glaring on the green leaves and grass, creating a beautiful painting engraved in my mind. I was in deep thought.

As for what I was thinking, I thought about several things. How I would live now, what should I do, what can I do, and most importantly, will I return to my previous life.

Before, I was chasing for power, perfection, absolute symmetry. Now, what should I do? should I chase it again? Or should I turn to live for something else.

I looked up to see the leaves blocking out the sun and providing me with shade. I was just a shell back then. No, I wasn't perfect. Instead, I was an emotionless monster.

I clenched my fist as I resolved myself. Instead of focusing on the arts of killing, why don't I instead invest in the skills of healing and helping people?

It was an idea that was pretty solid if I manage to become famous and have many people that I treat, and money is just a collateral.

I softened and unbaled my fist, resting it on my lap as I leaned back against the tree. Instead of killing, why don't I save instead?

I smiled and at the thought. A change of heart if you will say. I might not be able to clean my hands from all the blood it had been stained, but I will be able to cover all the scars I have.

"Alex! Lunch is ready, hurry inside the house or you'll miss the food!" I heard my mother shout from the house as my nose tingled with the scent of her cooking.

I stood up from the tree and ran back to the house with excitement. I was finally feeling the emotions I hadn't felt for a couple hundred years.

...

After lunch, I had asked my father if he knew about healing magic, and he said that he knew about it because he works at the village's little hospital.

I was in luck because father said that he would teach me the healing magic he knew. He told me about magic and the necessary things in order to cast it.

He told me about things like mana, the mana channels and core of the body, and how to draw the mana out of the mana channels towards the outside of the body and transform it into the desired spell.

Father said that was all he could have teached me today because he still had to work in the village's infirmary and attend to patients.

After that, father had left home, so I turned towards mother. Mother had nothing known about healing magic, so she instead guided me to the library where the books about magic were.

I picked a book about mana and the body's mana channels and core to further study and understand how it worked.

After I had some knowledge about how mana had worked, I went on for a few experiments. I sat on the table silently and tried to feel my mana, and surely enough, I picked it up first try.

I felt how my mana lay dormant inside my core, I controlled my mana and it easily followed after my will. I made my mana circulate around my body through my mana channels.

I felt a burst of energy and power in my body, it works like I think it would. By circulating my mana around my body, I could strengthen it as long as I circulate mana.

I tried a few things after. I willed my mana to come out and gather above my palm through my mana channels and after it got out, I started to see faint light.

It was gold in colour and was pleasant and captivating to look at. The more mana I willed outwards, the brighter the ball of liquid-like gold above my palm was.

"It's gold in colour. How intriguing..." I spoke as I observed how my mana interacted out of my body. it seems like unless I will it, my mana would not affect the environment. After my little experiments, I read a few books about healing magic and how it heals or restores wounds, or more specifically the cells.

After learning how to cast the spell, I went out the house and find a plant I could experiment on. I found a sapling near the oak tree outside the house and snapped a branch.

I put the branch back in place and placed my mana inside the sapling to observe how the spell restores the broken branch. I casted the spell and observed very, very closely with a reverse engineered technique from my recent past life.

The mana from the spell I casted entered the cell and hastened the duplication of cells to an abnormal rate that the plant heals in visibly in seconds, "Ahah. So, the concept of healing is giving the target of the spell additional "vitality" that boosts with natural healing process."

As I understood how the healing spells work, I, decided to make my own spell, one with potency surpassing the spell that I just had performed. I decided that it would be today's goal.

And so, I went back into the library and holed myself in to learn more and create an idea of how to increase the spell's potency of healing. I thought and thought until it came.

All the spell did was give a boost to the body's natural regeneration, but what if I actually do more than that? I increase the amount of potency to 2x and then, use the mana to then strengthen the spell until the mana just naturally disperses!

Enhancing the cells of the body was similar to my mana circulation technique but was also different, the mana stays in each individual cell and doesn't circulate around the body.

Therefore, the effect is not as effective as circulating mana around the body to strengthen it. In the end I created a buff-type spell that gives the target vitality and additional strength.

Haaahhh what a tiresome adventure of creating a new spell... I went back inside the house in excitement to tell the family of my small achievement!

....

I am now 8 years old, along all those years I was learning and creating new spells, increasing the potency of the already existing spells, and helping dad with his job! "Haha!" I chuckled as I stabbed my fork into a carrot. "Is that so? I didn't think that older sister Ria had that kind of side." I spoke while shoving the carrot down my throat.

The person in question blushed further and spoke in a mock anger tone. "That's not fair! Why am I today's target of humiliation!" it was just fun and jokes nothing serious.

We all laughed a bit and proceeded to turn our attention back to our breakfast. Haaahhh... It was peaceful times, peaceful times, I really liked the peace in this village. After the breakfast hustle, me and dad got ready to go down the hill to the village and treat patients! Money doesn't just come to your doorstep, you come to it!

I put on my gloves and scarf, together with a thick wolf fur jacket and an oversized hat and opened the door. I greeted the blanketed white and cold environment of the season winter. I began stretching to get my mana channels ready and then jumped all along the snow. I let out my mana and shaped it into a board I got on top of it and then slid down the hill of snow.

"Boohoo!" I shouted in excitement as I then jumped off the board and then willed the mana into a spear and as I was about to land the spear landed first transferring my force to the ground as I then let go of the spear in time that the rebound force didn't reach the end of the spear and landed on the ground softly.

I circulated my mana around my body and felt a monstrous amount of strength according to the people's description and ran off to the village as snow scattered at my speed. My legs had soon guided me to the village of white that had small spackles of orange light. I stopped my speedy pace and walked towards the village.

"Huff..." I let out a cold sigh as I took off my hat and walked to the center of a grouping of villagers. "Hello!" I greeted as the villagers turned back towards me with happy smiles.

"Hello!" They greeted back. "Are you here to sell your magic again Alex?" one of the villagers asked. "Yes!" I excitedly responded. "As usual, 1 bronze for a quick vitality increase."

The all the villagers each gave a bronze coin and I put it on my hat and then quickly raised my right hand to my left, and then slashed at the sky to the right.

Speckles of orange-gold light rained down upon the white land and villagers alike the snow in this season. I raised my left hand and then chanted. "Seething Strength."

As I spoke orange gold light shown on the grouping of villagers and they instantly let out a sigh of relief as they felt the winter cold leave their bodies and replaced by a warm sensation and strength to lift a small boulder.

The villagers approached me once again and extended their thanks towards me, which I would respond with, "It's alright, I am getting paid after all.". But the thing I was after was the smiles people would express, I was glad to see them.

I excused myself as I went to the infirmary where dad should already be. As I arrived, I knocked on the door and then went inside. I saw dad with a bit of a grave expression.

"Alex, I might need your help with curing this patient." Dad turned towards my direction and spoke. "Woah... that's something new for me. 'You' need my help? How bad is the patient's injury dad?" I closed the door and asked.

Dad turned back towards the patient, and I followed his eyes to see a patient with his leg already rotting. "Bad, very bad actually." I examined the patient and confirmed how lethal. I looked at the patient's face to see them sweating profusely. "Dad, he was bit by "that" snake, didn't he? I know all too well of the symptoms."

The "snake's" venom was very toxic, so toxic that it could kill in a minute with a heavily diluted drop of venom, while if you get bit directly, you only have a couple seconds left.

It seems that this man had encountered that "snake" and survived like me, I need to get stronger in order to kill that unkillable monster! More and more people fall victim to it.

Father only nodded as I extended out my hand and focus on the patient. "Burning purification." I chanted and watched as the patient glowed in a bright crimson-gold light. The spell was something that I made with one purpose in mind, and that was to either kill that "snake" or eliminate its venom in one's body.

I injected my mana into the patient to closely observe if the effects of the spell are cleansing the venom successfully. And it was. "Good." I muttered out softly.

I stayed with the patient for a while to make sure that no accidents and problems happen with the eliminating of the venom of that snake. After the patient's condition had risen to positive levels, I left to tend to other people who were either sick or injured. Or just people who needed help I could solve.

Once again, the star the lit the day, clouded by a blanket of winter clouds, went down towards the east and darkness swallows up the whole village with flickering orange left to shine.

....

8 years forward, and I'm now 16! I had introduced the method of pill making to the pharmacists of the village, and of course, my dad was the first to learn. Well, with his talent in the field of alchemy I'm sure a couple years later he could have invented something similar without me giving knowledge about such stuff...

The more healers, the healthier the village should be, I got that checked off my list of improvements to the village last year. And now, I think it's time I travel the world! I am 16 now, and in this world's traditions and customs about these things, I am a grown adult! Well, at least that's what my family and the village people say anyways.

So yeah, I thought it should be about time I would leave this village to travel around the world, meet new people (different races and species etc), and new magic and healing methods! My personal arsenal only consists of what I learned in the village, and my own personal made spells with over 6x potency over the normal spell, and I graded them too!

Grade 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, from the lowest, least potent spells to the highest, strongest spells I had made to kill and obliterate any enemy I face in a single blow. To be honest, my supposed 6-8 grade spells that were supposed to have one shot any enemy had met an absolute monster, the most they could do was injure the beast slightly.

That "snake" was an absolute beast, a monster I had actually had to put effort to kill, and I think that was just an infant, yeah, a non-grown monster was capable to just shrug off some of my "high-grade" spells and was a threat to my life.

"*Exasperated sigh* I wonder how that monster of a 'snake' came to be, if I didn't kill it, it might have threatened humanity if it had fully grown into an adult." Shivers ran down my spine as I thought of the amount of power and destruction it could do if had been so, perhaps.... "No." I shook my head.

"What I did was absolutely right, if I hadn't killed it, it could have threatened the village and my family." I spoke to myself as I look out the window to see the peaceful atmosphere of the village, I was born in. " I am glad I defeated it, though barely..."

I packed up the last change of clothes into the bag and then conjure a hole in space. "Spatial storage." I muttered, as the hole widened and threw the bag inside.

It was so convenient, and unlike my past life, I don't need to carry any baggage and just walk leisurely without any weight pulling me down, though I prefer my swords to stay outside. "Speaking of my swords..." I stood up from the bed and walked towards the wall where 3 swords of majesty were hanged upon. I took the one on the left and unsheathed it.

The blade revealed a splendid gleam of neon green on the edge that was actually glowing and light black spine, it was a one-sided uncurved sabre with a bit smaller width that resembled that of a katana, but it isn't even close to being one because it wasn't curved.

It was made from one of the largest fangs of the "snake" I had killed. I made it myself because the blacksmiths in the village couldn't do anything to it due to how resilient it was.

I sheathed it and took the other 2 and placed them on the bed, I opened the spatial storage and took a set of armour. It was light black in colour and had glowing neon green accents on the edges, it was as you could guess, forged from the scales of the "snake" I had killed four years back then.

I examined the armour and found runes written in English all over the bottom parts of the armour, enchantment if you will, ones that make it more durable, toggle between lightweight and heavy, lights in case I encounter an enemy in the dark or capable of making surroundings dark and that's about it.

It's already as overpowered as I needed it. The rest could be handled with my swords and spell. Also, I might forget to mention that it's Japanese themed, so it looks like samurai armour. Just fancier and more badass looking than anything I could think of.

A/n: (REFERENCE PIC)

"*Sigh* I should really need to get rid of my edgy side in influencing my weapons and armour choice." I spoke to myself. Anyways, it's time that I should put them on and venture out this village where I grew up.

I put the armour on, put the twin thin-width sabres on both sides of my waist, put the bastard sword on my back and then walk out the door. I was greeted by a smiling father, with a bit of sadness laced in the facial features and the eyes especially.

"Dad." I spoke shortly. My dad just patted my shoulder twice and spoke. "Leaving the village huh? I thought it was tomorrow, can't you just stay one more day?" I put my right arm on my sword and rested it. "Well, I am excited, really excited actually. I mean, I'm finally going out to explore outside the village, outside... this cage...."

My dad just smiled at me and went down the hill with me. "You really wanna be a free bird huh? Looks like my son has finally grown up to be a man and wants to leave the house as soon as possible." He spoke with a chuckle as we reached the village.

I just stayed silent and didn't respond. I went to the villagers and spoke my farewells; it might just be the last goodbyes in a couple years. Some of the villagers were also hesitant of me leaving because of danger but they know all well that I am powerful.

I knocked on a door and soon, someone came to greet me. "Oh, Ros, what brings you here today?" it was May, someone who you could call my childhood friend, and who you could also say as my gi- okay, let's stop there.

"I'm leaving." I spoke bluntly. "What?" May asked confused by the sudden surprise. "I'm leaving the village, and I probably won't be back soon." I spoke again. May just looked a bit sadder. "I understand. You always were the free bird after all."

"You're not holding me back?" I asked suprised by her reaction. "No, I expected for this day to come. And I hoped with all my being that it won't. But look at you." May looked down and didn't face my eyes this time. 

There was a quiet silence that enveloped us for a few moments. "I.... I'm sorry May. I, I just don't feel free and like myself being in this small village. I... I want to explore the world." I reasoned.

May just gently pushed me off and brushed my words of goodbyes like it was nothing.... wait. "Geez, Ros, you free bird. Leaving me is already sad, and I'm angry at you, leave already!" May nudged me as she finnaly looked up at me with teary eyes.

I didn't know what to do about such situation.... "I.... alright I'll leave." I spoke. "You better not comeback you dumbass dense brick!" May shouted as she tried to look fierce and held back the already falling tears upon her cheek.

'You clueless idiot!' I shouted to myself as I quickly left her presence, unaware of what to do. It hurts, it definitely hurt to leave someone you love.... but I yearned something much more. Something out of the reach of this small village. "I, truly am a fool."

After my goodbyes, I went to the village entrance to leave. I walked silently without speaking a word and left the village, as I was out, I looked back again to see the tall wooden wall and reinforced door of the village entrance, feeling a bit nostalgic.

I looked back forward and took on more excited and confident strides towards wherever the dirt road would bring me. "Onwards, towards my new journey."

Truly, this is a new journey. A new epic that will dawn in this world. A legend that will never fade out. Because legends never die.

Chapter title: ONWARDS, TOWARDS THE NEW JOURNEY.

A/n: Heyo! Author here. Wow, that is four thousand and three hundred twenty-three words. I just want to thank you those who had stuck with the kinda shitty chapter 1 and now this chapter which is at least thrice as long as the previous chap, if not quadruple times the read. You who had waited for the next chapter of this had finally received it, thank you for your patience (which is only for a couple minutes).

Creation is hard, cheer me up!

Like it ? Add to library!

Have some idea about my story? Comment it and let me know.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.9K 1.2K 30
"Come on, come on, don't leave me like this I thought I had you figured out Something's gone terribly wrong You're all I wanted Come on, come on, don...
10.7K 480 35
Long before time had a name, the first spinjitzu master created Ninjago, using four elemental weapons, but when he passed a dark presence sought out...
2.3M 71.2K 99
Previously called Older Brothers Part 1 Completed (Alternate version) part 2 Ongoing "T-trust me?" "Always." It was the promise that they were never...
117K 5.5K 145
Austin was a kid that loved to watch Anime, especially Pokemon. Annoyed at how the series was going after Sinnoh, he fell asleep before waking up, so...