,wallflower' • BRIDGERTON

By spookyjoji

hope buckingham dear gentle-readers, a new pretty face has entered the gates of london... will the desperate... More

• character •
chapter 1
chapter 2
chapter 3
chapter 4
chapter 5
chapter 6
chapter 7
chapter 8
chapter 9
chapter 10
chapter 11
chapter 12
chapter 13
chapter 14
chapter 15
chapter 16
chapter 17
chapter 18
chapter 19
chapter 21
chapter 22
chapter 23
chapter 24
chapter 25
chapter 26
chapter 27
chapter 28
chapter 29
chapter 30

chapter 20

882 29 3
By spookyjoji

"The Game That Determines Your Place."
[20]

A brash game of croquet. That was what I was in store for this afternoon with the Sharma family and the Bridgerton's. A game of croquet was quite common amongst the family, since I've been staying for now 5 years I have been in a dozen games.

Was I particularly good? Possibly. If you'd ask Daphne she'd say I played surprisingly well, but if you'd ask Colin or Benedict, they'd say I played unfairly.

But, here I was walking outside with Daphne, Edwina, and Miss Kate Sharma. Daphne stuck a white tiny arch that was the wicket in an odd angle, right in front of a statue. "That'll teach Colin." She said, dusting off her gloved hands. I chuckled softly. "Last time, he put a wicket behind the goat barn."

Kate Sharma raised an eyebrow with confusion. "What exactly are the rules of this game?" She asked as we began walking away from the wicket. "Pall-mall is less about the rules, and more about the goal. Which is, of course, to hit your ball through each wicket." I explained as I glanced back at the two sisters. Edwina's face was shaped softer than Kate's who had a sharp jawline and button nose.

"The first player to send their ball through the last wicket wins." I finished. Daphne hummed with a grin. "Simple enough. Though, if you are feeling devilish, you can use your turn to knock an opponent's ball as far away from their next wicket as you would like." She then said. Edwina looked at the redhead with confusion.

"Why waste a turn if the point is to get one's ball through the wicket?" She asked, we stopped walking and me and Daphne stood in front of the two women. "To infuriate your opponent, I gather?" Miss Kate Sharma said. I chuckled softly before nodding my head. "Precisely. It is a poor player who plays the game, and wise one who plays their opponent." Daphne said. Kate smirked before sticking her nose slightly in the air:

"I believe I shall rather enjoy this game." She said, making all of us chuckle. I glanced back to see the rest of the Bridgerton's coming out of the mansion and into the wide yard. I looked back at the sisters before signaling them to follow me. Daphne went back to the others and the rest of us went over to large tree that provided much needed shade.

"Benedict is a solid shot, but he avoids conflict. Colin is crafty, he will strike when he thinks you are least suspecting it, so always suspect it. Eloise concentrates entirely on defeating her older brothers. The hope is that she gets so absorbed by them that she forgets about you. I, play along with the wind, so whatever I feel is right about a play I will perform it. Though, Benedict takes this time to get me distracted."

"And then there is Anthony." I said before trailing off. Kate hummed in dissatisfaction. "Let me guess. A most ruthless, cutthroat player." She said plainly. I could see Edwina shoot him a glare. I chuckled.

"You we're right in having a disliking in him. But, you are unfortunately correct. That is not to say he has no honor. He is usually the most profound and gentle of companions when it comes to being his partner on the field." I said, looking over at Edwina who smiled softly. Edwina glanced over at Anthony, who was speaking with Colin. "I'm sure the viscount is an excellent player. We will all pass a very pleasant afternoon." She said, Kate Sharma sighed before nodding her head.

We then all gathered around a basket full of different colored mallets. The Bridgerton's all began to bicker on who got what. "Let us toss a coin." Colin said. Eloise looked at her brother with frustration. "Last year, we promised to let the youngest pick first." She said. Anthony rolled his eyes.

"We picked based on alphabetical order." He said. My eyebrows furrowed as I stood across from Anthony, but next to Eloise. "Why does it matter, again?" I asked. Eloise sighed. "The men do not want a ridiculous color as their mallet, as if it would matter." She said. I chuckled softly.

"Everyone, please, now. The only fair thing to do is to let our invited guests choose their mallets and strike first." Daphne said, making the Bridgerton's suddenly realize that the Sharma family was here, and step back from the basket of mallet's. "Please, take your pick, Miss Edwina." Anthony said with a warm smile. Edwina stepped up to the basket and pointed at the baby blue pallet, quite suitable for a woman like her.

"An excellent choice." Anthony said as he grabbed the mallet and gave it to her. Kate stepped to the basket and grabbed the black mallet. My eyes widened and I chuckled. The Bridgerton's all gasped dramatically. "The mallet of death." Eloise said with a smirk.

"Would you look at that, Brother?" Benedict said teasingly as he stood next to Anthony. "Is this yours?" Kate said. Anthony kept his jaw clenched as he shook his head. "Not at all. You're welcome to stay it." He said, straining to say his words.

"You near threatened to beat me last time I touched—." Colin was cut off by Anthony giving him a glare. "You exaggerate." He hissed. I crossed my arms and I heard Kate hum before I turned to look at her as she stood next to me. She chuckled at the man. "Are you the superstitious sort?"

She then tilted her head. "I know some men cannot perform without their familiar tools. Like a child with a blanket." She said with a smirk. The Bridgerton's chuckled and I whistled with a smile. I am starting to like Miss Kate Sharma. "I can play perfectly well with any mallet. I wish you the best of luck." Anthony said with a roll of his eyes.

"Are we to stand around deliberating all day, or shall we play?" Eloise said with a groan. Benedict walked up to the basket before grabbing the red mallet, looking directly at me. A teasing smirk adorned his lips. Daphne chuckled softly. "You must be playing a game yourself, Benedict." I said. Benedict placed a hand over his chest. "Oh, whatever did I do?" He said playfully. I rolled my eyes before extending out my hand. He knew that was my mallet, I claimed it as mine months ago.

"Hope seems to not be jestering, Brother." Colin said. Suddenly, all the Bridgerton's swam over to the basket and grabbed whatever mallet they could. There was only a purple mallet left and I walked over to it and grabbed it. I seen Benedict standing a few feet away, while the Sharma sisters and the rest of the Bridgerton's all got into place.

I walked up to him and grabbed the mallet from his hand and placed the purple one I had up to his chest. "Best of luck, dear Benedict." I said as I walked away with my red mallet.

The game went on smoothly, and it seemed Anthony was out of luck. And Kate seemed to be playing rather smoothly and she was enjoying herself, indeed. She had scored two wickets so far, while unfortunately Edwina missed one. I had two, just as Miss Sharma.

Me and Benedict walked around a statue pillar as it were our turns. I glanced over at Benedict who seemed to be distracted as he made his way up to his purple ball. My eyebrows furrowed. He hit his ball over to the wicket but it landed just beside it.

Benedict was a strong player, he wouldn't have missed an opportunity to get a score like that. "Your thoughts are clearly somewhere else, dear Benedict. Otherwise, this shot wouldn't be so easy." I said, hitting my ball towards the wicket. It went through easily and rolled in the grass, I could hear everyone cheer. Benedict hummed as he glanced down at his shoes.

"I will admit, my thoughts are far from the field." He said nervously, looking around to make sure no one was listening before he walked up to me. "I have applied to become a student of art at the Royal Academy Schools." He finally announced. I smile formed on my lips. "That is fine news. Congratulations." I said.

Benedict was quick to shake his head. "Well, do not celebrate yet. I await word of my acceptance. They only invite a select few to study there, it seems." He explained. I scoffed. "But still, it is an exciting prospect. I do not doubt that you will be accepted given your talent." I said encouragingly, he seemed awfully nervous, given his taping foot.

"Well, it's hardly a grand tour as Colin had with his travels. But, yes, I do hope to distinguish myself too." He said quickly, walking away quickly. Something was very wrong, yes. The game continued and Kate Sharma was unsurprisingly ahead but Anthony was closing in. Her and Anthony's ball was right next to each other's and we were right by the trees that led straight to the woods.

"We have a chance to best him." Kate Sharma said, tilting her head. "That would not be very sportsmanlike, now would it?" Colin said. She hummed. "I was told unsportsmanlike conduct was a requirement for this game." She said looking over at me and Daphne. Daphne chuckled softly before nodding her head.

"A fast learner you are indeed, Miss Sharma." She said, Anthony looked away before snickering under his breath. I breathed in before looking over at Benedict who stood next to me. "May you?" I asked softly, handing my mallet over to him. He grabbed it before I took off my white silk gloves. "Are you in a losing mood?" Kate said.

"My mood shall remain unchanged, regardless of your choice." Anthony said, pretending to be humble. "Ah, is that so? You would so bravely hear the crushing shame of defeat?" Kate asked teasingly. Edwina gave her another glare. "Play pleasant, Didi." She said.

Anthony smiled warmly before looking over at Miss Edwina. "Not to worry, Miss Edwina. In light of my brothers' and sisters' tactics, Miss Sharma conducts herself with much grace indeed." He said, I knew this would further their pestering competition. Kate hummed with an evil smile. "Then you shall not mind this." She said before hitting Anthony's ball all the way in the field of trees. Everyone chuckled, including me. We all clapped for her and she hummed, seemingly enjoying the glory.

"Miss Edwina. It's your turn." Benedict said. Edwina looked around at us nervously before approaching her ball. She hit her ball and it went into the field of trees as well. A silence settled before we all clapped for her. "I am bested I see." Edwina said looking back at us. "You could retrieve your ball if you wish to stay in the game." Daphne said, Edwina thought hard as she looked towards the trees and then down at her slippered feet.

"I think I shall cut out." She said bashfully. Everyone looked at her with confusion, but it was understandable if she did not want to retrieve her ball. She walked away from the group and I had seen Anthony run off just behind her. She did not seem to be enjoying herself, I wonder why.

Colin then knocked his ball, as well as mine and Kate's, right into the trees. My mouth went agape slightly and I chuckled. "Well, there it is. You could retrieve your ball... unless you would like to cut out." He said. I rolled my eyes. "Well, it would be quite unsafe if we let Miss Sharma and Hope go retrieve the balls all on their lonesome." Anthony said now standing with us, Benedict hummed in agreement.

"I am sure they can take care of themselves, they aren't in need of coddling, Anthony." Eloise said, rolling her eyes. "Let's discuss the safety—." Colin started before the Bridgerton's all buzzed with conversation. I rolled my eyes before looking over at Miss Kate Sharma, who stood across from me. She looked at me with a slight smirk on her lips.

"We shouldn't allow the ladies to go unaccompanied—." I heard Benedict say next which made me groan loudly, making them go silent. "This is pointless!" I spoke with a rise of irritation. I walk towards Benedict and grabbed my mallet. "Us ladies will stick together and retrieve our balls." I said as I approached Kate before turning around to face Anthony and Benedict who looked at the two of us.

"Unless, you believe we need your protection." I glanced between the two brothers. Anthony sighed, glancing off. I scoffed before grinning, turning around and walking right towards the forest.

third person

Kate watched as Benedict smiled, Miss Sharma turned her nose up confidently with a smirk before turning on her heel and walking right behind Hope, whose long hair blew through the waves of the wind.

Daphne smiled brightly. "Anyone think that they are a bit similar?" She asked. The sounds of agreement filled the air, meanwhile Benedict watched them enter into the forest with a close eye.

Hope walked over a branch before looking back at Kate. "You fit in quite well, but I must say your sister Edwina is having difficulties adjusting to the competitive nature of the Bridgerton's." She declared with a raised eyebrow, Kate looked over at her with confusion. "I quite understand, it took me four years to reveal who I truly was to my family. "

"Whatever do you mean?" She asked. Hope looked down at her slippered feet. "I was incredibly shy... too shy for my own good. And I hardly had any real true confidence in myself, I was so worried of what other people thought that it kept me up till dawn. It was difficult... my first season... being shown off like some sort of prize to be won. I then discovered I could never fall in love with someone like that."

"To be treated as an item to be bought is to be treated as cattle."

Kate hummed before glancing away. "So you are not in love with anyone as of this moment?" She asked. Hope breathed in sharply, her lungs filled with oxygen. Hope shook her head hesitantly. "Unfortunately, no." Hope said before looking at Miss Sharma. "You are twenty and six... how come you are not married?" Hope asked curiously with a raised eyebrow.

"I spent nearly my entire life raising my sister and taking care of my mama. I have never taken a chance at trying to wed, I promised myself that I would put my sister first before anything else after my father passed. And I do not regret making that promise. She deserves the world and I'm obliged to give that to her." Kate explained, her face nearly turned... saddened. Hope's eyebrows furrowed as she looked over at her. She looked over at Hope and a silence settled. "Do you have any sisters?" She asked, cutting the lack of noise.

Hope hummed before nodding her head. "I have an older sister named Katherine and a little sister named Sabrina. But, I feel as though I am not a... sister to them... I am a woman they just happened to find." I looked forward at the trees ahead of me. "If Lady Whistledown hasn't spoken of this already I should tell you this now... But, I haven't met my sisters till now. It's... unusual in a sense. You may think that once you meet your sister you can practically feel it in your heart that they are your family. I feel that when I am here or back home but... with them I feel nothing." Hope ranted on to her, as if she was someone Hope knew completely. As if she knew how many jet black hairs Kate had on her head.

Kate shook her head softly. "There is no shame in that. It was their choice to meet you so suddenly, you shouldn't have to feel an immediate attachment to them, Miss Hope Buckingham." She said plainly, without having to think much on it. She was right, Hope wasn't obliged to immediately accept them, or feel like she was their sister. She hummed with a smile before Hope suddenly spotted Colin's, hers, Anthony's, and Kate's ball all near one another. "There!" Hope said, pointing.

"I say we throw the viscount's ball into the mud there and see if he retrieves it." Kate said wickedly before Hope chuckled before nodding her head, agreeing with the act.

The Bridgerton's that were left outside of the forest all watched as Colin's blue ball got thrown outside of the trees, along with Hope's and Kate's. Anthony looked at the balls with confusion. "And where exactly is mine?" He yelled out to the woods before seeing Kate and Hope walking with clueless expressions. "I think we saw it land in the mud. Best if we not mess up our slippers, Brother." Hope said with a sharp nod. Kate looked over at her with a hum.

"Indeed." She said. Anthony clenched his jaw before intensively rolling his eyes. "I'm cutting out." He muttered to Daphne who snorted with a laugh. Everyone began to laugh loudly, well, apart from Anthony.

Once the game was completed and Kate unsurprisingly won, the family was under a tent enjoying some well needed refreshments. Hope breathed in as she joyed some iced lemonade, she sat in a wooden chair as the others buzzed with conversation.

"It will be a fine day in London if the rest of your brothers decide if they will wed." Violet said to Daphne who nodded their head in agreement. Colin and Benedict both scoff. "Haven't you heard? I am courting the ruby's sister Katherine." The second eldest said. Miss Kate Sharma looked over at the man with widened eyes. "You are...?" She asked, seeming a bit shocked. Violet hummed, like she hardly thought it was true.

"Yes, indeed he is. Imagine how the family dinners will be." Colin said before he got a piece of tomato thrown at him by Benedict. "He's hardly courting the girl, he hasn't even bought an engagement ring. Benedict is so... thrown out of orbit from the world that we do not know if we should start preparing for a wedding yet." Violet as she sat next to Lady Danbury who rose an eyebrow. Benedict scoffed.

"Well, mother. If you must know... I have bought an engagement ring." He said, making everyone grow silent, the sound of silverware clashed. Hope's head shot up at his words. "You have...?" She asked. Anthony looked at his brother with furrowed eyebrows. "Yes. But that does not mean it is for Miss Katherine Buckingham. It is just a reminder that according to Anthony and my lovely mother... marriage is prevalent." He said. Violet looked at her son, beyond surprised.

"Well, let us hope that Katherine Buckingham is just as pleasant as Miss Edwina." Daphne said, looking over at her with a smile. "Let us hope that he is as gentle with Miss Katherine as he is with Hope." Hope heard Eloise say. Kate chuckled and Hope scoffed. Benedict looked at her a raised eyebrow.

"And what exactly was that scoff aimed towards?" He asked, Hope looked right at him as he stood before her. "You think I will not to be gentle with her?" He asked. Hope hummed before tilting her head.

"I can admit there are moments where you are fond with me. But, those moments as rare as lapis lazuli. If you are gentle with her and are without those annoying remarks I'd be quite surprised." Hope said, Benedict hummed, clenching his jaw tightly with a strained smile. "What? Are you used to the women of London being so easily won by a pleasing smile and absolutely nothing more?" Hope said, she saw Benedict glance over at his brother, Anthony, with smirk.

"So you find my smile pleasing?" He asked teasingly, making Hope clench her jaw at his words. The air around them grew quiet. She finally tilted her head with a smile. "I find your opinion of yourself entirely too high." She said, she heard people chuckle around her. A playful smirk grew on Benedict's lips.

Hope finally stood to her feet as she faced the man. "I hope your character isn't as deficient as your interest in my sister. I shall bid you good day." She said before walking around Benedict and towards the house. She was ready to take of this corset of hers quickly and into something much looser.

Hope was in Anthony's study as he handled the finances of the family. She wore a lose crème colored gown and her hair was down, she walked to the desk with a smile. "So, it is all going well, then?" She asked. Anthony seemed quite well. "And did Miss Edwina mention the game. She did not appear to be enjoying herself as I hoped." Hope said.

"Well, how could she have done, when the lot of you were downright gladiatorial out there?" He said. Hope rolled her eyes with a scoff. "As if the game can be played any other way." She said defensively. "I was surprised she played as long as she did." He said, Hope glanced over at him and he gave her a warm smile.

"It is no matter. Miss Edwina did not need to win a silly game in order to win my heart." He said effortlessly. My eyebrows furrowed. "Repeat yourself, Brother. I could not quite hear you." Hope said with a chuckle. Anthony rolled his eyes slightly.

"Has this young lady truly won your heart?" She asked. "You met her. You met her family. She is delightful, and pleasant, and interesting. Even wise. What exactly are your objections?" He asked, tilting his head at her. Hope scoffed.

"Well, I do not have any. If you say Miss Edwina is the one indeed for you I shall not argue..." I said before my mind trailed off. I looked over at the books on the shelves behind him. "If you say she is the one in whose presence you positively need in every situation, if you say she is the one whose presence you cannot even... properly... breathe without. If you say you feel that feeling?" Hope said before grabbing a familiar book about destined love. She looked at the crisp cover. Anthony's eyebrows furrowed before he looked back at his sister.

"Feeling?" He said, trying to get more words from her. She looked up curiously, Hope's mouth went agape. "The one that makes it impossible for you to look away from them at any given moment, a person you can feel at home with when they wrap your arms around you or they whisper a comforting thing in your ear. And when... your away from them or even when you're with them you feel as if your body and soul could... possibly burst into flames."

"When your so desperate for their touch that it's... nearly strangling, you think to yourself that looks are simply not enough. When all you are able to do in their presence is to fight the urge to lean forward and... and touch their lips with yours." Hope said softly, Anthony tried to read in between the lines of what she was saying. "You say this as if... you've experienced this yourself? Do you feel this way... about someone?" He asked. Hope thought for a second, but no one came to mind.

"I... don't exactly know." She said before putting the book back. Anthony hummed, believing that Hope was finally finding that love she oh so utterly craves. But, she hasn't realized it yet.

Yet.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.8K 1K 46
Why does love always seem to breed where it is forbidden? That is a question Benedict must ask himself, as he finds himself developing feelings for...
280K 7.3K 41
Elizabeth Sheppard Has never been one for traditions. She is smart, artistic, and has a bad temper. She is a girl who is cultivated by the love stori...
1M 28.3K 37
After the passing of Abigail Bentley's mother, she is now the only one responsible for her family's well-being. Her father, often too drunk to stand...
1.1M 32.1K 56
It is said that second-born sons have all the fun. This much is certainly true for Benedict Bridgerton, free from the burdens held by his eldest brot...